Zoho Invoice

100% free online invoicing tool for freelancers and SMBs.

4.7/5
4.6/5
4.7/5
4.6/5

Skyler
Skyler
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Zoho Invoice is the perfect invoicing solution for freelancers

Reviewed on 17/5/2023

My experience with Zoho Invoice has been great. I used to use Wave to invoice clients for years. But then they changed to only be available for US and Canadian customers. After that I then tried a number of other invoicing software and settled on Zoho Invoice. For freelancers and small businesses it is the perfect option, and completely free! It makes it quick and easy to add new customers, invoice them, and also keep track of outstanding payments.

Pros

I love that Zoho Invoice software is free to use, and also integrates Stripe to allow me to take credit and debit card payments. As a freelancer, I work with a small number of clients, and only send a few invoices per month, so paying for other freelancing software doesn't seem like good value. I like that the invoice can be customized to suit my branding, as well as adding custom fields such as an ABN. It is also minimalist and looks professional. Another great thing is that there are also no restrictions on the number of clients I can add, which is perfect because I do a lot of one off projects.

Cons

I don't like the way that the card payments via Stripe appear on the invoice. It is just a small icon of a card under the 'Payment Options' section, but it doesn't seem as clear or trustworthy as other invoicing software. I manually added text about clicking the icon to make a payment by debit or credit card via Stripe. However, I noticed that the number of clients who do so is significantly less than when I used to accept card payments via Wave. It can also be confusing to find certain menu items when configuring invoices - especially related to custom fields.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Invoice

I only send a few invoices per month, and the Freshbooks Lite plan only has up to 5 billable clients. Because I do a lot of one off projects, I found myself having to delete previous clients to still be able to charge new ones. The next plan was double the price, and went from 5 to 50 billable clients - a significant difference.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Invoice

Zoho Invoice has all of the features that I need and is totally free. It also doesn't have any limitations on the number of clients I can invoice.
Matthew

Great invoicing tool for small businesses

Reviewed on 25/11/2019

Overall good customer service and good product. We tried different ways to implement the recurring feature that most of our clients would use. We wanted to auto deduct recurring invoices and it didn't have that feature, otherwise, we probably would have stayed with it. We did use Zoho subscriptions for that.

Pros

It was quick to get up and running. The software is fairly easy to navigate and provides professional looking invoices that are downloadable by my customers. My favorite feature is the reminder feature, once you send out an invoice the software can send out automated reminders for the client to pay in case they don't see it in their email the first time or get busy and forget (cause an email will be forgotten eventually, as good intentioned as we all are). Definitely good for people starting out and small businesses that don't have a lot of clients. The price point is low for starting out, usually a lot less than other software I've seen and used. And if you use Zoho CRM, in can integrate with that.

Cons

For me personally, I was using the software for invoicing website development customers, and once you get done, apart from web hosting, you are done. And over the past few years, I hit my max level and I don't feel like its much of a benefit to have past customers count towards my limit. Some of which are small jobs.

I think it would be better if you have the same customers you invoice regularly.

PayPal

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Invoice

We were switching CRM systems and cutting back on things we were not using.

Keap

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Invoice

Better options than paypal with less setup.

Response from Zoho

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the review!

We are happy to know the automatic reminders and the integration between Zoho Invoice and Zoho CRM were of help to you.

Regarding recurring transactions, it's good to hear that Zoho Subscriptions caters to your needs but since Zoho Invoice itself has recurring invoices and the ability to auto-charge your customers, we would like to know a little more on it.

You can reach out to [email protected] so that we can understand your requirements better.

• Industry: Design

Free to Paid - Service & Expectations Can Use Improvement

Reviewed on 6/4/2019

Overall starting out it was ok. Even though there were setbacks it helped on a budget. However there are much better programs out there that are less maintenance and easier to use.

Pros

The free service makes it great for someone starting or learning how to use invoices with no overhead. Its easy to use and print reports for file keeping, and visually appealing to customers.

Cons

If you are looking for more advanced features like advanced payment processing or sending to more than 5 users. etc, you will want to use the pro version or most likely look somewhere else for the price you pay. The customer service is terrible and outsourced to other countries. This is an issue if you need any assistance whatsoever.

aaminah
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

It's Excellent

Reviewed on 7/12/2023

Pros

It's an easy to use application that I have access to on my phone. I can create invoices on the go and send them to my customers instantly. This is great when I'm pressed for time and need to send these documents off easily. I can also track who owes me money which is convenient when I have so many orders on a daily basis and cannot keep track of these things myself.

Cons

The app would be better if it had some of the features on the sirte.

Lynda
Lynda
  • Industry: Information Services

Great product for small business

Reviewed on 25/5/2023

excellent simple system for most small business

excellent simple system for most small business

Pros

Simple invoice and expense tracking easily tracked on dashboard with drilldown to details. Can add business logo to invoice. Can enter time and have projects populate an invoice; can add items for quick entry; can add invoice discounts at $ or %; can attach timesheets; option to send to multiple emails, option to attach pdf of invoice to email and modify email contents. Also great support.

Cons

when a new invoice line is entered, the empty default line remains and has to be deleted

Quickbooks Online and Wave Accounting

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Invoice

integration with expenses and Zoho expense entry has faster and better receipt attachment auto scan from emails and app. i.e. expenses in email can be inline or attached and it will auto-scan either

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Invoice

qbo not requred for simple business, zoho better than wave as described in 'why switched'

Zoho Is A Great Option, At Least From A One Man Band Perspective

Reviewed on 29/4/2023

Really good; I needed something to automate time tracking to billing and invoicing in a robust manner. Zoho will be the tech stack utilized to process out other needs as well, for myself and my marketing clients.

Pros

It was easy to set up, and when I ran into particular setup difficulties between Zoho Projects (time tracking) and Zoho Invoice, the support that was given was exceptional.The support knew exactly what was needed between both portals to get me back on track.

Cons

A checklist being more prominent to guide the full top down setup would be appreciated, but this isn't a real issue with how good support was. The knowledge articles are prominent thought.

FreshBooks, Quickbooks Online, Wave Accounting and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Invoice

Loved both Tracking Time and Todoist, but I needed something more specific to the task, and porting over from one technology to another works, but I gravitate towards heavily integrated products.

Todoist and TrackingTime

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Invoice

Project Management directly into and automatically calculated into straight line integration under one roof. Hard to pull off, but Zoho has incrementally become good and better over time to do so.
Rick
Rick
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Zoho Invoice has been our go to Invoicing app for years

Reviewed on 6/6/2023

Overall our experience with Zoho Invoice has been great. We’ve been able to teach our older less tech savvy guys how to use it and now we’re billing much faster and getting paid much faster. I love being able to take credit cards on the job site with Zoho.

Pros

I love how easy Zoho Invoice is for me and my team to use. Some of our guys are not super tech savvy and they’ve been able to learn it in no time.

Cons

Now that we’ve figured everything out we’re really happy with it. We’ve had no problems and it’s helped our business grow.

Kel
  • Industry: Photography

ZOHO GO GO

Reviewed on 20/12/2023

Pros

Free and great. I am in Australia so a few modifications but if i got it to work with a brain like mine .... then anyone can.

Cons

Nothing, Zilch, Nil, Zero, Nought, Zero, Zip

MICHAEL
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

POPE WEARS NG

Reviewed on 9/1/2024

Pros

The use of the app is flexible and meets the various needs of a business owner

Cons

There should be included payments method for Nigerian naira such as paystack and Flutterwave

MOUSTAFA
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Good experince

Reviewed on 26/12/2023

Pros

It has a customizable invoice and multiple ready templates.

Cons

I did not try payment processing. I will try it.

Krishna
Krishna
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Zoho Invoice has been a wonderful and superb experience for me

Reviewed on 18/5/2022

So that I can capture clients at the exact time they are ready to on-board, Zoho's phone app and website interface flawlessly, allowing me to produce booking deposit invoices while on the go. Once I've set up all of my templates, sending an invoice to a new client through email or SMS is as simple as a few clicks.

Pros

Invoicing and bookkeeping in a small business are a snap with Zoho. Because I can simply compile and print out all of my billing and revenue information from the year, I no longer have to worry about tax season. If you're in the market for a straightforward and easy-to-use invoicing system, I highly suggest Zoho. We had a few difficulties with help early on, but they've been fixed and the assistance has been excellent since.

Cons

When premium plans were removed, a free forever plan was introduced, however Zoho branding was applied to the papers, which was a downfall. Zoho Invoice could charge a modest price to remove branding or a note that users may produce free invoices like this.

Sara
Sara
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Excellent billing tool with good price and support

Reviewed on 17/7/2022

The fact that all the greatest and most helpful products can be found in a single location is the standout feature of the Zoho offering. It helps us save both time and money while also making our job easier and more pleasant.

Pros

This application makes it possible to collaborate on projects without the risk of confidential data being compromised, which makes it the ideal tool for my company's small business. This is a service that earns five stars from me.

Cons

It is a significant drawback and adds a lot of extra work for me to have to pay for each person after I have already signed up. I constantly get stopped while paying, and the procedure is a little bit sluggish. It has a sensation of danger.

Eric
  • Industry: Law Practice
  • Used for 1+ year

Excellent Invoicing and Expense Tracking Tool

Reviewed on 19/10/2020

Excellent experience. For invoicing and expense tracking, this is a great product.

Pros

Hands down, the feature I liked best about Zoho Invoice was its ease of use. I place a lot of emphasis on this aspect of software. If software is difficult to learn, or it is not pleasing to use, then why bother. With Zoho Invoice, I was up and running in less than an hour. Like all of Zoho's software, the user interface is pleasant and makes sense. The product is also stable. No glitches, hiccups, or bugs.

Cons

Not so much a "dislike" as I simply needed software that did more than just invoicing and expense tracking, which is what Zoho Invoice does really well.

Response from Zoho

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for leaving us a terrific review! We are humbled :)

Ease of use has always been at the heart of everything we do at Zoho Invoice, and we're glad to know you like it!

Feel free to share your feedback to support[at]zohoinvoice[dot]com anytime.

Cheers,
The Zoho Invoice Team

Stuart
  • Industry: Banking

Invoicing through Zoho

Reviewed on 17/4/2023

Very easy to use a good product, looks very professional once set up.

Very easy to use a good product, looks very professional once set up.

Pros

Very easy to use and set up customised templates, that look very professional. Easy to track and follow invoice payments, and easy to duplicate invoices.

Cons

Not so easy to add payments that require tax held back, such as in Asia. Once you get used to it it is possible but takes time to learn.

Invoicely

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Invoice

Looks much more professional and templates are much better, lots more functionality.

Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Invoice

Looked a better platform and like the CRM system that integrates.
Abhishek
Abhishek

Most User Friendly and Cost effective Billing Software

Reviewed on 20/1/2023

This is truly the best online billing tool available for SMEs and Startups. I have scaled from a few invoices per month to hundreds of invoices. Also, we keep getting constant updates from the Zoho team. The recent theme update is simply awesome. I can use my brand color for my invoice tool.

Pros

I personally love the template feature for invoices. Being an enterprise software we have several demands of getting Invoices in a specific formats. It is easy to have multiple formats for multiple customers. The Approval mechanism ensures we are sending correct invoices.

Cons

Billing for Projects is only on per hourly basis. It would be better if it supports per month, per day conventions also.

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Invoice

Ease to use and fits all my requirements at a minimal cost.
Susan

Zoho Invoices: Just when I thought things couldn't be better or easier.

Reviewed on 31/8/2021

Efficient way to track my time and create an invoice for each client. Time (and therefore money) does not fall through the cracks.

Pros

Logging my time and being able to send my clients a detailed invoice (that I can customize) is critical to me. The fact that my client can opt to have a portal to see invoices, payments, etc. is icing on the cake!

Cons

Because invoicing is my business Achilles Heel, I would like it even better if I could create a recurring (monthly) invoice for my clients so I don't have to remember to do it. It is just there. Recurring billing right now is only for a fixed amount and I cannot add billable hours to it. However, the PROS definitely outweigh the CONS.

Georgiana
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Why Zoho is the best way to go?

Reviewed on 15/4/2023

My overall experience using Zoho is great.

My overall experience using Zoho is great.

Pros

I love that I can create an invoice for also anything. I can create one for different projects and track my sales. With online invoicing, my customers can get their estimates and access them on their end. They are also able to see what's happening. I also have the Zoho app whereby I can use anywhere at any time. I love that the payment process can be done online in the conform of my one or anywhere.

Cons

I like all the features that come with Zoho.

My Go For Invoicing platform

Reviewed on 13/2/2021

It was hilarious at first, i was searching for an app to generate invoice when i am outside i came across zoho invoice gave it a try first try was funny as the functions didn't made any sense at first but soon after an hour so it felt like this application is really thought through when crafting, i quickly set it as my next go-to invoicing app on desktop and mobile and on the cloud, thanks you zoho for this wonderful service.

Pros

Everything from custom payment gateway integration to single click invoice genration, the best feature would be the inventory mangement and product catalogue making it easier to create invoice by typing the product name only everything will be fetched from the catalogue even the discounts and taxes are perfectly fine tuned with the invoice template. Started using as an On-The-Go invoice genrator and fell in love after generating first invoice.

Cons

The mail customizability the mail sent to payee is non-customizable(atleast for me) i want it to reflect offline payment instructions as well for some customers having no mode online payments that's the only drawback i found while using zoho invoice apart from this everything works perfectly fine.

Response from Zoho

Hi there,

Thank you so much for leaving such a wonderful review for Zoho Invoice! We're glad to learn your journey with us so far, and we hope to serve you more in the coming years.

With regards to the email that goes to your customers, you do have the option to customize it completely to match your brand. If you need any help setting it up, just drop an email to support[at]zohoinvoice[dot]com

Dale
Dale

I just switched from the "improved" FreshBooks to Zoho Invoice.

Reviewed on 16/1/2018

It meets most of my invoicing and time tracking needs, and at an over 50% reduction in monthly costs.

Pros

My small consulting firm has used Freshbooks for a couple of years. Recently they "upgraded" their product and I lost very basic functionality that I relied on day-to-day. While not perfect, Zoho Invoice provides most of that functionality and at an over 50% drop in price. I really like the previous FreshBooks solution, and would have eagerly embraced the new, but you cannot release a new version that supports so much less functionality that the last.

OK, off that soap box. Zoho Invoice so far seems easy to use, with a few caveats I will spell out in the next section. The customization is great (almost, but not quite, to a fault). Some of what I consider basic functions for a consulting environment are available. Including the expense receipt images on the PDF invoice (HELLO FRESHBOOKS!!!) are very simple.

Cons

Three things. But keep in mind that even with these three things I find Zoho Invoice better suited to my needs over my current solution;

Provide the option to include the expense date on the invoice!!!!! This is very basic and very needed. I see from reviews that people have been asking for this for several years.

Provide a field for expense vendor. Sure I can setup a custom field, but when you get to the invoice you cannot access custom fields at the detail level.

Provider the option to include the expense author on the invoice. I usually have two to three of us on an engagement all entering expenses for travel, lodging, meals, etc. By including the author, the client can easily see from whom the expense is coming from.

To get around these shortcomings, I have my group enter expenses in a very specific way that includes these information in the notes field. Not optimal, but still works.

Alex
  • Industry: Media Production

Zoho invoice makes estimates & invoices easy

Reviewed on 4/2/2020

My overall experience with Zoho Invoice has been great.

My overall experience with Zoho Invoice has been great.

Pros

I like how you can setup the templates and integrate a variety of payment options. The online portal makes it easy for the client end to manage payments and stay informed on what is going on.

Cons

I wish it would integrate with quickbooks easier. Also it would be easier of it had some sort of e-sign option for clients to sign the terms page on invoices.

Response from Zoho

Hi Alex,

Thank you so much for reviewing us! We are thrilled to hear your feedback :)

We are sorry that we don't have a direct integration with QB as of now. However, you can take a look at Zoho Books if you are interested.

Regarding e-signing, it's currently available for estimates (your clients can sign your estimate to accept it) but not for invoices. If you'd like to know more about this, feel free to reach out to [email protected]

The Zoho Invoice Team

Ebbenezer Mziyanda
Ebbenezer Mziyanda
  • Industry: Design

Easy and helpful invoicing system for any business big and small

Reviewed on 11/5/2023

Great experence

Great experence

Pros

Since I migrated to Zoho, I am able to generate quotes and invoices. Some of the service I supply are per month while others are per year. With Zoho I can setup an invoice to generate once a year for annual customers on an ongoing setup, therefore no need for me to remember to send the annual invoices, but Zoho does that for me.

Cons

The inability to generate payslips. As a business looking to scale up, it would be a great thing to be able to generate payslips for employees and myself within the same system, that way it will be easy to manage all admin things of the business on one platform

Nathan
Nathan
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Zoho is a great invoicing tool for small businesses

Reviewed on 19/5/2018

Pros

Zoho Invoice is a great invoicing tool that allows you to track invoices and payments for services and products.
1) The ability to design your own invoice template to use. Customization is easy but also designer friendly.
2) Tracking payments and expenses from one place. The name may fool you but Zoho Invoice also lets you track time and other expenses related to your business or invoice. This is great for basic bookkeeping.
3) Invoice management is second to none. You can create draft invoices, recurring invoices and others all with a few clicks, the email template is also great as you do not have to write emails.
4) Customer Statements are invaluable. Being able to send a customer a statement of all invoices plus payments they have made is a Godsend for business.
Zoho Invoice may not have all the bells and whistles of Zoho Books but it is an affordable alternative to someone who does not want the accounting side of things but want to still have a basic overview of their financial standing as a business.

Cons

1) Zoho Invoice does not have a feature that allows you to know when a client has seen an email about a payment. This means you may not know if a client has seen your email unless they acknowledge it.
2) My continued gripe with Zoho mobile apps for Android still rings true. While the mobile app has the basic functions of the web interface, compared to iOS, the Android app just does not function as well.
3) The Client Portal does not offer much functionality to a client other than to check their statements, the process of communication has to be started by you to give an estimate and so on. If there was a way to allow a client to also initiate communication from the portal, it would be better.

Jorge David
Jorge David

IDEAL AND EXCELLENT FOR BILLING SMALL BUSINESSES

Reviewed on 24/4/2018

Depending on your business, billing is very easy and affordable for services, schedules and articles

Pros

For young employees it is easy enough to add the products and their costs, and i can keep track of the schedules that have been created and included from the office or the cellular device, in addition to that I can send my clients the invoices by email in PDF formats

Cons

I am somewhat general about the billing information, and it may only be a whim of mine, but I would like to have more control of the information in my invoices. For example, my start time, end time, assignment name and some notes I want to write for each assignment billed to my clients

Response from Zoho

Hi Jorge,

Thank you for reviewing Zoho Invoice. We are happy to know Zoho Invoice has been helping you with your business invoicing.

Regarding your requirement, we presume that you would like to have separate fields for all the information. If that's the case, you can use custom fields to capture additional information. In case this is not what you are looking for, do write to [email protected], our support team will be more than happy to assist you with your requirement.

Cheers,
Zoho Invoice Team

Brock

Zoho invoice is a must-have for any small business, agency, or freelancer

Reviewed on 3/4/2023

Pros

Extremely feature rich. If you need something from an invoice tool, Zoho has it.

Cons

There are really very few cons to Zoho...

Zoho Rocks

Reviewed on 30/3/2023

Great

Great

Pros

I would like to learn more about the other capabilities of the platform that may benefit me in other areas of my business and Investing needs. I could actually benefit from some budgeting and planning on a personal level.

Cons

Make learning easier.More templatesA personal version

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Invoice

Cost of upgrading as well as integration