Microsoft Visual Studio

Zunaira
  • Industry: Government Administration

Developer from Pakistan

Reviewed on 24/8/2022

Smooth experience except reporting. You have to set the all things and tools again and again. As a. Professional reporting is compulsory

Pros

It is amazing and the new debugging with code changing to the new extent ease the process to next level.

Cons

Reporting feature is not smooth. Mostly crystal reports are needed. They should be properly incorporated or some contract with them should be done

Nikhil
  • Industry: Investment Banking

Visual Studio - Developer's paradise

Reviewed on 10/9/2022

Overall Visual studio is one of the best IDE and one stop solution for developers to code .As it provides various features ,plugins , extensions along with support to various programming languages and debugging it is very much popular. If you are JavaScript developer it is the best IDE available in the market.

Pros

Visual Studio provides support to various programming languages . It has own plugins for debugging as well as supports other plugins and extensions . We can easily integrate it with Git which makes it more helpful .Also debugging is very easy and convenient in Visual studio along with coding

Cons

It takes high CPU usage is one of concerning reason ,but as it offers so many one stop features to developer that can be neglected .Few UI improvements can be done

Cole
  • Industry: Higher Education

The Truth

Reviewed on 8/9/2022

goofy ahhhhh program

Pros

Love the way that this program always finds a way to ruin my work, always producing errors. I KNOW IM USING THE PROGRAM CORRECTLY!!!

Cons

Their should be nothing to like about this horrendous program........

Ranjit

Ultimate IDE for software development !!

Reviewed on 12/9/2022

As I and my team uses Visual Studio on daily basis, I am overall very satisfied with the latest Visual Studio. Visual Studio helps to speed up the development process and it helps us to develop quality software. Using Visual Studio you can create different types of applications like Web API, Web App project, console, class libraries, mobile applications, and hybrid and WIX installer applications. It can be even used to develop AI/ML solutions. It supports many languages like C#, python, C++, and so on. I think it's one of the best IDE software in the market.

Pros

Being a .NET developer, I've been using Visual Studio for over the past three years. It's a great tool to work with. Microsoft regularly releases new Visual Studio versions with the latest features. I like the debugging feature of Visual Studio as it is very simple and can be used to trace the root cause of defects. It's very easy to manage to build and release configurations of projects in Visual Studio. It provides simple interfaces for deploying the application. Below I've mentioned some features that I liked in the recent versions of Visual Studio -
1. TFS, Git integration
2. DevOps integration
3. Code lens (to view the summarized history of a code above the function)
4. VS IntelliSense (to fix code analysis warnings and implement coding best practices)
5. Easy adaptibility to different .NET frameworks based on project requirement

Cons

Visual Studio is the best software for software development. I didn't think of any feature that I didn't like.
However, the Visual Studio tends to freeze sometimes during heavy operations (even on high-end configurations) if you have installed a number of third-party extensions like ReSharper, and SonarQube. According to Visual Studio, these extensions slow down the VS performance. But I think VS should not freeze in any condition. Apart from this minor improvement, I think there is nothing that could be improved in Visual Studio as of now.

Akumu

The Best Cross Platform IDE

Reviewed on 20/9/2022

Working with Microsoft Visual Studio gave me an amazing experience connecting with experienced developers. The software has a great community ready to render assistances to new and first time users.

Pros

I like this software because it is multipurpose, it supports a lot of programming languages and easy to test an application on the command line console.

Cons

The software requires internet connection during installation and requires higher system specifications.

twisha

The best tool I have found so far

Reviewed on 18/9/2022

Pros

Very pocket friendly tool, and does everything you need as a developer, I have used various paid IDE's but this does all that for free

Cons

resolving code conflicts UI could have some improvements

Vikram

Great free tool for development

Reviewed on 16/9/2022

Pros

It has default connectivity to docker which helps packaging the code

Cons

I hope it could get better at running backend code base

Mphare

Multi use IDE

Reviewed on 16/8/2022

For me it is literally the first ever IDE i used for coding back when i stared my developing journey and it has been improving

Pros

It is very good IDE, has lot of features that makes coding easy after acclimatizing to it

Cons

It consumes plenty amount of space but is reasonable based on its features

Frico

Microsoft Visual Studio for Developer

Reviewed on 11/8/2022

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio has lots of features and extensions, so we don't need to find any external software/product when developing a project

Cons

When we use many extensions, the Microsoft Visual Studio becomes lags especially when we run the project. So you need a good spec to run it smoothly.

Vikram

Fully feature loaded application for the develpoment

Reviewed on 5/3/2022

Visual Basic is a fantastic and professional programming language.
It comes with a slew of features that make coding a breeze.
Because this software has certain advanced capabilities, I believe we need have some programming language expertise before utilising it.
If a newcomer begins coding using Visual Basic, he may believe that coding is really tough.
As a result, I only advocate utilising Visual Basic if you have prior coding experience.
Microsoft, on the other hand, provides a free version of this programme for students.
This is a great chance for us to hone our talents using this programme.
This is the best software for you if you are a programmer looking for software for your industry.

Pros

VS connects with the Microsoft Stack exceptionally nicely and swiftly.
It works wonderfully for automating the flow and manipulation of data between internal and external sources, which I do largely with SSIS.
Connecting to data sources is a breeze, as is adding additional DLLs (in my case, I use WinSCP with SFTP) and creating a process.
My solutions' integrated development environment (IDE) has built-in drag-and-drop functions that perform typical actions, so you don't have to manually write everything.
This allows for speedy creation and excellent reusability.
Visual Studio is a tad clumsy, but it provides a lot of functionality.
It's easy to set up and use, and it comes with its own set of tools for things like website construction.

Cons

When installing Visual Studio, you must first determine which extensions and plugins you require.
You can install a lot of things using Visual Studio, but you must know what you're looking for and how to utilise it. Visual Studio, in comparison to lesser weight IDEs, takes a time to load at first due of its completeness and all it contains in. It also takes a long time to install and consumes a lot of disc space.
This isn't a light item. Depending on what you're doing, it may take some time to process.
It receives regular updates, but I don't think the little version changes are necessary, and I'm not sure what additional bug fixes or features they generally give. It's all right.

Guillermo

The good and the bad of Microsoft Visual Studio

Reviewed on 23/2/2022

Code maintenance, development of business applications, activities such as updating systems of the same company. As our company has its development department, we are based on .NET so we use this program, usually the projects we work with are developed in C#

Pros

I like that its installation is simple, unlike other development environments, Microsoft Visual Studio, it's just a matter of a few clicks and that's it, nothing else needs to be configured. Direct integration with GitHub is very useful for team projects, without the need to download extensions, the tool is already integrated, we just have to log in to our GitHub account and we can use it. Another thing that I liked is that it comes with an integrated database engine such as SQL Server, we may have to download add-ons from the installation package, but they are details. Its good graphical interface, customization, choosing the language of the interface, make it very pleasant. Connectivity with Azure seemed interesting to me for managing projects, storing information, creating, managing and deploying applications in the cloud. Speaking of development, I use it a lot to program in the C# language, personally I like the way it orders the code, the prediction of words, such as when creating functions, methods. It has many development tools, for example, when creating a graphical interface for an application I have a whole toolbox, with which I can add the elements one by one. It is somewhat simpler than other programs I have used. I can expand this toolbox, which I like, as it gives me more features. If I have complaints about this program, they are very few, but I will detail them later. It does have to improve some small things, but it fulfills its purpose very well.

Cons

I have had problems that the program stays in: "not responding". In many cases it closes by itself, I have a computer with good hardware characteristics, so I am surprised that this happens to me. The same thing happens to my development group. Another detail to keep in mind is that when compiling it usually takes longer than normal, and it even stops for a while, but then it responds without a problem, I think it could need optimization due to its large memory consumption, I have used Intellij IDEA which is a very good software for Java development, and it is very agile, very responsive, consumes resources considerably, I hope that Visual Studio reaches that point. These are inconveniences that have happened to me, as well as to other colleagues. For the rest I have no complaints. I clarify that I use it in Windows 10, to be more specific with my review.

Maaz

Microsoft Visual Studio

Reviewed on 9/7/2021

I have been using Microsoft Visual Studio from the beginning of my Software Engineering studies. It is the best programming software I have used. Also its huge online community is very useful to ask for help when solving a problem faced in Visual Studio.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio is the best option for working on writing, testing and developing a program or application. It is capable of carrying out complex and heavy programming. It fully supports all prominent programming languages like Java, Javascript, C, C++, Python etc. Ms Visual Studio assigns different colors to different blocks of code which makes it easy to keep track of your progress and find a specific block. Its code debugger is extremely efficient and instantly identify the error in the code. Apart from built-in tools and features, it has a plethora of plug-ins and libraries available online to serve the specific needs of a user. Also navigating it to look for files is very easy in it due to its folder and file structure. The biggest plus point that it offers especially for the students is its Community Edition version which offers almost all the vital features of MS Visual Studio and that too for free of cost. Also its user interface is very pleasant and feels good on eyes. In short it serves the need of every programmer from novice to expert.

Cons

Its not easy to thaink of or find any mentioning worth lackings in such a sophisticated softwarr like this, but to mention one, it is a heavy program desiged to carryout complex programming, it consumes a lot of processing power and RAM memory of a computer which is a bit annoying for students using it of their personal computers.

Shawn
  • Industry: Legal Services
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Visual Studio Functional and Extensible; Great for Integrating; Can be hard to troubleshoot

Reviewed on 30/12/2021

Visual Studio helps me complete my job by being a robust, extensible IDE. I can automate and integrate a lot of processes and manage data flow fairly easily and in a reproducible way. Some projects can take me around an hour at this point. A good portion of routine tasks are easy. Doing completely new-to-me tasks can take more research on how to implement, but it just depends if that's a VS thing or the coding language I'm using. Troubleshooting scripts inside of a package can be harder than scripting and debugging on another tool (that is build specifically for that coding language only), but it's such a versatile IDE that it makes up for it.

Pros

VS integrates extremely well and quickly with the Microsoft Stack. I use it to automate the flow and manipulation of data between internal and external sources, mostly with SSIS, and it works great. It is extremely easy to connect to data sources, fairly easy to add external DLLs (in my case I use WinSCP with SFTP), and easy to create a workflow. The IDE for my solutions comes with built-in, drag and drop functions that do common operations so that you don't have to manually code everything. This makes development quick and highly reusable. Visual Studio is a little clunky, but just has so many features. It is very quick to run and test, and for things like website development it comes with it's own Express version of a server. It can handle many different coding or development functions. Overall it's extremely helpful and I couldn't do my job without it. And the Community edition is free; even though I have a Pro subscription, I don't think I need it. Community edition covers everything I need.

Cons

When installing VS, you have to know what extensions and plugins you need. VS has a library and you can install a lot, but you have to know what you're after and how to use it. I would say that because of it's completeness and everything it packs in, Visual Studio takes a while to load initially compared to lighter weight IDEs. It also takes a long time to install (over 30 minutes), and uses a lot of disk space. This is not light weight. It can also take some time to process, depending on what you're doing. It has frequent updates, but the small version updates are not needed and I don't see what new bug fixes or functionality they provide usually. It's ok with forward compatibility, but not backwards compatible. This is important - You can't develop in VS 2019 then open it in VS 2015 or any prior version. Also when upgrading your solutions, it usually works, but sometimes doesn't. So you may have to manually re-install some DLL, dependency, or change code for newer standards. I would be cautious in updating your solutions and make sure to have a backup. Once you get used to the load time and know the tricks about solution compatibility and other versions, it's actually very comprehensive in the capabilities it provides and integrates fantastically with the Microsoft Stack. The only other downside it that troubleshooting scripts can be difficult with the error messages provided; for what I do, I think the error messages could be more descriptive.

Maaz

Microsoft Visual Studio...

Reviewed on 16/12/2021

I love Microsoft Visual studio for its powerful engine, across the operating systems development capabilities, easy support and the quite affordable licensing fee.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio is a very convenient and powerful application development software. You can easily create or edit and test a software using it. You can develop applications for all major ooerating systems like Windows, Linux, Android, IOS, etc with it. It supports all basic and advanced programming languages like C, C++, Python, JavaScript, PHP, etc. MS Visual Studio hosts very useful code completion and a powerful auto-suggest feature aling with wide variety of extentions. It comes with plenty of pre-built useful starter projects so you get started without wasting time on setting up basics. It offers a free trial of the paid version along with a completely free version which is very useful for students and freelancers. The subscription price for the paid version is also quite affordable. Its vast and active online community makes getting support easy.

Cons

As far as I have used Microsoft Visual Studio, it has no big problems, except that Nuget packaes sometimes encounter problems. Also the system becomes quite dull and slow when running it, which is obvious due to its huge size.

Rodrigo

It was great, now I just think it's enough

Reviewed on 15/10/2021

We use it daily to maintain systems in windows, web, uwp and apps. But the tools make easy tasks difficult. For example, you have a Xamarin that never really looks finished, with a third-rate xaml design, uwp that seems to repeatedly disconnect the IDE so that you need to recompile the project to make simple changes, and a total abandonment of Visual Basic. Microsoft doesn't seem to understand that if you like the productivity of VB you will NEVER WANT the complexity of C#. VS seems to be moving in the direction of being harder rather than easier. VS is it good? YES. VS is it productive? No more. Solve the task? YES. Do you have fun with him? Not here.

Pros

In an environment that becomes familiar with use, you have access to several built-in functions, plus a bunch of solutions (some paid or third-party) that deliver advanced design, development, source code protection, and publishing capabilities. Microsoft's initiative to maintain the community version is very good.

Cons

With each new version the tool becomes more complex, rather than cleaner. The developer expects little cognitive overhead, expects to be able to hide repetitive boiler plate tasks when they don't need to be seen, expects it to be easy to internationalize the application. There are more and more features that the smaller company will never use, such as live share, the translation of uwp apps is VERY confusing, the windows forms design is terrible and doesn't fit right to HIDPI. Lots and lots of things you don't care about and things that you really miss never come. It's a contradiction to create AI helpers that copy your code to "make it easy", while you want it to be an easy-to-use tool that displays complexity ONLY if you need to.

IntelliJ IDEA

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Visual Studio

Honestly it was chosen mainly because there were legacy applications to maintain and convert to new platforms. Also due to UWP, for which there are no other tools. But in parallel we use JetBrains tools, as they are easier for some tasks. If XOJO were cheaper, it would have become our main development tool. Do not misunderstand me. Do I like Visual Studio? YES. Do I like the way the project has progressed over the last decade? SURELY NOT. Everything you get used to and like about Microsoft seems to be murdered by themselves in the next lap of the race. There seems to be paranoia around C# and F# and XAML (F# people also complain about abandonment), and an absolute meaninglessness in the future of these technologies: everything gets more and more complicated, more and more confused, you struggle to learn and evolve and when it starts to make money the technology is "mature" and is abandoned. Then Visual Studio once an essential productivity tool, today it's another useful tool that you like and dislike.
Dinupa

Software Development Environment for High-Quality Software

Reviewed on 8/9/2021

Perfect for freelancers and one-person businesses, especially for websites and web-based applications. Reduce the amount of work your IT team has to do by purchasing lower-cost computers. Your library includes a variety of enhancements and modules that make it easier to manage the material. Simple user interface combined with feature-specific design.

Pros

We develop a variety of software types, including online applications, web services, web-based programs, mobile applications, and websites, all inside a single visual studio environment. During projects with a large number of deliverables, we can leverage Visual Studio's single installation to do a variety of activities. We can initiate debugging with a single click and proceed through each step to determine where and why the issues arise. We might easily add things like CS or HTML that we require. Additionally, it is simple to integrate with the database.

Cons

Its size is out of control, and it takes an inordinate amount of time to install. When transferring files from one application to another, project data is often corrupted, and errors are not unheard of in the process. It is vital that the sample file's permissions be changed so that anyone can write into it without being denied access.

Apache NetBeans and IntelliJ IDEA

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Visual Studio

Visual Studio is the simplest and most direct way to produce C#, HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, ASP.NET, MVC, and other front-end and web application apps, as it's a Microsoft-made software development environment.
Zandrich
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Integrated Development Environment - Done Right

Reviewed on 19/8/2021

I was introduced to the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE in late 2013, and found myself immediately impressed by the automated markup - something I had never encountered before then, save for Borland products (at the time limited to Delphi). What made the interface all the more attractive, was the option of selecting a "theme", or background colour - although this may seem trivial, any developer who spent thousands of hours typing code in black text on a sharp white background at three in the morning will tell you how significant the switch to a darker theme is in terms of eye strain.

I was also delighted to learn that Microsoft Visual Studio offered support for most mainstream languages, with partial third-party support for some of the more obscure ones. Support this broad is unprecedented in a single environment.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio offers automated, visually-intuitive code markup, all the tools for development and debugging one could ever need, a comprehensive library of extensions and code bases, as well as support for most languages used in the industry - everything Microsoft Visual Studio provides is unprecedented in the field, and has changed the way we develop - indefinitely.

Cons

Although Microsoft Visual Studio offers a "Community Edition" that is free of charge, the commercial/enterprise licenses are quite expensive compared to inexpensive or even free IDEs available. As these alternative IDEs become more complex and offer more modern interfaces over time, Microsoft Visual Studio will have to lower it's price to accommodate small, adaptive teams of developers who lack the capital to invest in the full IDE package.

Waqas

A user friendly versatile tool for software programmers

Reviewed on 9/6/2021

We are AI based solutions provider and often our work is in python. So far all my modules are written with the help of VS code. It allows me to write code in javascript and java aswell. Configuring files and creating, altering jsons are easy. Before switching to VS code I always had problems of finding multiple language support and graceful code formatting within a short time. VS code has solved this problem.

Pros

Installation of third party tools, possibility of live code share session and support for several langauges are the most impactful features in my opinion.
The product is also relatively easy to use only if you use it frequently have spent sometime to learn about the features like formatting, searching files, functions and text, resolving dependencies etc.
Nevertheless it was easier to integrate the product with our business use case.

Cons

The product is somehow sometimes not easy to go around for example to search for files and to search for specific text inside all files is bit confusing, the interface sort of works the same way. Also when dealing with ASCII doc files or tabular form files, there are always 3rd party extensions that are required. Excel files are difficult to format (zig zag columns) but however they only be viewed in a user friendly way.
Specifically for python there are sometimes problems with the kernal, even though the right kernal is selected, yet the code fails to run and restarting vs code with the right kernal helps. The same is true for running jupyter inside VS code.

Mohammed
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

The best IDE on the planet!

Reviewed on 1/4/2020

Absolutely fantastic experience ever since I started using Visual Studio. It has been a tool that I have relied upon to create projects such as websites, desktop applications, APIs as well as mobile applications. The latest iteration has the biggest range of features and premade project templates so far. All in all, highly recommended!

Pros

-The vast amount of features and facilities is really amazing. Visual Studio lets us build all types of apps and software, right from APIs to even embedded software. The amount of pre-created templates really does help as it creates a lot of the boilerplate code needed for applications and systems.

-The dark mode theme is brilliant!

-It doesn't take too much configuration to get it running, as long as the necessary software packages and libraries have been installed

-Visual Studio is available both for Mac and Windows

-It integrates really well with other applications both Microsoft and non-Microsoft. There are thousands of plugins available within the Visual Studio marketplace and you are sure to find anything that works with all types of systems. Developers are always creating new plugins and extensions and if there are any issues, it is easy to contact them to improve their plugins.

Cons

-Due to its powerful nature, Visual Studio is quite resource-heavy and does take a toll on power and laptop battery performance (unless of course you have a really powerful machine). It does use up a lot of RAM and hardware resources.

-Another thing is that due to its complex nature, there are many features that may take time to learn and understand. There are just so many features that it can be fairly awkward to navigate and use at times.

-Sometimes, Visual Studio does get glitchy and it is definitely common to see weird behavior at the most random of times.

Luis Daniel

The Standard for Windows programming

Reviewed on 24/12/2019

I basically use Visual Studio daily. I have no complaints other than I wish they had more customizability like it's little brother Visual Studio Code is getting and with time, Visual Studio Code just does what it's big brother does better. But yet, nothing can replace Visual Studio in my work flow and that won't be changing in the next years to come.

Pros

You can almost use/code in any language on the IDE, if you're missing features, you could look for extensions/plug-ings that add them, like DevExtreme or ReSharper. I mostly code in C# and the Community version for me works fine, but the Enterprise and Professional tiers are also really good. The IDE has been more open in the recent years and that has allowed for more straight updates than rather waiting for service releases or new year branded releases. You can code websites, mobile apps, desktop apps, console apps, service apps, anything related to Azure can be done in VS and yeah, you can easily debug and now in the latest versions, you can live-share a project and have a coworker assist you or work with you on the same project and both debug it. You can also use the live-share feature for teaching someone how to code.

Cons

Sometimes, extensions can be a little buggy. Azure Services, I would recommend a stable connection because it can get laggy. If you're going to use SQL Server in Visual Studio, you're better off downloading Azure Data Studio, because it is more versatile, strong, quicker and responsive than the options Visual Studio provides you. The community can cover you anything you need, but if you're looking for huge enterprise projects, you might want to invest on the paid options, but they can be expensive.

Supun

Programming with VISUAL STUDIO

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Visual Basic is a great and professional software for programming. Lot of features are included in it for easy coding. I think we must have some knowledge about programming languages before using this software because this software has some advance features. If a beginner starts coding with Visual Basic first, he might be feel coding is very difficult. Therefore I recommend using Visual Basic only if you have some knowledge about coding. However Microsoft offers a free version of this software for students. This is a good opportunity to improve our skills with this software. If you are a programmer and looking for software for your industry, this is the best software that suits for you.

Pros

Visual studio is one of a best software that programmer need for his works. It supports many programming languages mainly used in programming these days including C, C++, C#, JAVA, Visual Basic, Python, HTML, CSS etc. This software is developed by Microsoft as an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). There are lots of software using for software development industry in these days. Visual Studio offers many outstanding features and functionality when comparing with them. Some of the features are IntelliSense (completes code automatically as it suits), GUI design (Can design graphical user interfaces and make them interact with components we include i.e. Forms, Buttons, Labels, Message boxes etc.) Also Visual Basic consists with an integrated debugger that works as a source level debugger and a machine level debugger. Therefore the debugging process is easier and powerful. Visual Studio is fast and powerful software for programming in my experience.

Cons

The most annoying thing that I see is the process we have to go through before starting GUI programming using C++ language. We have to change many settings and copy/paste some code parts before starting our codes. For beginners it is a confusing work as we have to go through many menus and change settings and pasting code parts. Coding area seems to be more complicated than that of other software. Therefore it is hard to find a code part that we typed already in case of changing codes. Visual Basic took nearly 22GB from my storage. For the people with low size hard drives it is difficult to allocate such amount for one software. Since software have many functions and features it take some time to load. Low grade PCs can be lagged in this process because Visual Basic use high amount of RAM and CPU.

Vincent

A big chunk of Application for Python Testing

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

I found it an excellent tool and shows where the pared down VS Code gets its functionality from. It can do a lot if you have the laptop/PC with a fairly modern specification. For the work that I do in Python, it is on a par with PyCharm but has the ability to do a lot more than just work with Python. Most of my work with python is personal now that I have switched company but there will be scope here to help others out.

My next challenge is to see how I can make use of this tool with Go.

Pros

I reinstalled this tool on my laptop to ensure the full process for any new user was understood. I wanted to see what VS community was like, compared to VS Code for Python coding that has been used for some time.
The install whilst downloading is a great feature if you want to get on with life. As for me choosing the various Python related features means a chunky 8GB+ install file and if it can install parts whilst it downloads others then that is a great use of my time.

Actually, I am writing this review whilst the install happens. No lag or stutter from this little laptop. Connecting to my github repositories was very simple for cloning. the next thing that any new user would be interested in is the available documentation. How to Install & Setup, Welcome to the IDE, Whats New and a Training section. That's everything you need.

It is very switched on with dependencies, like VS Code offers solutions and can handle a vast amount of tasks.
The functionality for the test script writing I was doing was excellent. could ask for no more.

Cons

The need for an MS Account I expect has a benefit but I do not see how. Anyone going to use this should make sure that they have a fairly modern PC. As like most Microsoft products they are aimed at utilising the potential from modern devices

The Gold Standard for IDEs

Reviewed on 14/10/2019

Started using visual studio because it was the only IDE a particular vendor had support for. Quickly tried to find more excuses to use it. The intellisense, code-folding and beautification defaults are much better and work much more consistently than any other IDE we've used. We use quite a number of different IDEs, but VS intellisense has been one of if not the biggest productivity enhancement we've had from a single feature. It's amazing how much better done intellisense is in VS than most other products.

It particularly makes a big difference for people who do not have extensive backgrounds writing on particular projects, because it saves a lot of documentation lookups if the design is done well and api documentation is included (we require this to maximize benefits here). More than from a utility perspective, vs intellisense is so responsive it's FUN... which we think accounts for more benefits (again esp for people who are less familiar w/a codebase, cause it shortens the learning curve).

Visual studio is also very good at staying up-to-date with latest apis and techniques. Obviously you probably want to be a user of microsoft's API stack in some way (.net), but you can code in most major languages with it.

The primary drawback is that it does not presently play well with linux OS. There are some efforts to improve this-most noticeably visual studio community. Community is cross platform but not full ide (and doesn't use same VS intellisense).

Pros

Intellisense is off-the-charts fast. So quick, it can make coding feel like a video game.
The most-widely-integrated IDE- plugins for everything.
Compatibility between express and full visual studio makes it easy for full-fledged developers to work on same project/product with entry devs, interns, and even open-source.

Cons

While they have made some improvements here (w/regard to visual studio community edition), the full visual studio IDE doesn't run on linux (at least not without VM, wine or jumping through a lot of hoops).

Ryan

Visual Studio has come a very long way since VB6

Reviewed on 7/10/2019

Overall, my experience with more recent versions of Visual Studio (using it for multiple languages and project types from APIs to Angular applications and even some work using third-party generators such as ngx-rocket) has been very pleasant. You don't have to worry about plugins always breaking or no longer being maintained like you do with most IntelliJ IDEs and the community seems to take commitment and quality very seriously when working with third-party extensions. As for Nugat and libraries hosted on GitHub, you can expect the quality and typical setbacks to be the same though.

Pros

- Improved search functionality that is on par with IntelliJ editors' search functionality.
- Software hiccups are rare, whereas they used to be very common even in the recent versions.
- Everything is nicely consolidated, you can select the language you're using at the start as well as the type of project, and you can even search for and pull libraries into your project from the internet without ever leaving the editor.
- High quality themes, don't have to fix items that are the same color but were different colors in another theme like you do with IntelliJ themes.
- Shortcuts and hotkeys have slowly been moving towards being similar to IntelliJ editors, which for me is a definite win, but for new users this wont make a difference.

Cons

- Occassionally locks up, forcing you to open Task Manager and abort the application, sometimes causing lost work.
- Some features do take getting used to before appreciating them, i.e. some components of the Debug/Release manager and handling deployments, but once you understand how they work, you're in love with their usefulness. If you're coming from command line and config file debug and/or deployment, this isn't much of a con because you can imply most of the setting names, but figuring out what you can do through the IDE and what you have to do through files can be as annoying as finding the right IDE screen to change a setting.

IntelliJ IDEA

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Visual Studio

Visual Studio was something that I left since switching from VB6 and VC++ programming over a decade before trying it again. I played with it back in the Visual Studio 2008 days (where it was still confusing what ".NET" actually meant with regards to Microsoft who themselves didn't seem to know just yet) but really didn't like it until a new hire came in, supporting it strongly. The rest of the team gave it a shot, and I've been hooked on both C# and Visual Studio ever since. For a long time, I assumed Visual Studio was always going to be inferior to other IDEs that work with Microsoft's languages but after using it (and the other popular editors) I can definitely say Microsoft has really stepped their game up.
Francisco

Couldn't have done it without you, VS

Reviewed on 19/8/2019

I do everything from coding, merging, publishing, you name it. As I stated before, I absolutely could not do my job properly without it; it could stand to improve performance-wise, but the benefits outweigh these problems by a mile.

Pros

By far the best feature in Visual Studio is IntelliSense; writing code becomes a breeze when you can just tab your way through entire lines, making use of the autocomplete, the smart naming of variables and methods. Having learned .NET as my first programming language, Visual Studio was there with me all the way, holding my hand, making things easier for me.
When dealing with a myriad of configuration files, Visual makes it easy by assisting you with modifying these, even providing UIs for beginners and non-programmers.
Luckily, there's also many extensions available which help overcome some its limitations, a testament to the fidelity of its users, who instead of switching to other IDEs decide to improve upon it.
Interactive design windows really help with page building and desktop apps.
Last but not least, dbml designers are a life saver when dealing with databases, seamless integration with tables, stored procedures and more.

Cons

Visual Studio is a heavy application; it really takes a toll on RAM memory and CPU, which makes it impossible to have two instances open at the same time (something very common for me at least). I end up having one in Visual Studio and another on VS Code. Takes quite a while to boot up also.
When building a big solution, it eats up all my resources and essentially blocks my PC until it finishes.
When publishing databases and errors occur, the logs are really poor and make it hard to find the problems.