Time Doctor

Smart Employee Time Tracking Software with Screenshots

4.5/5

Dianne Mae
Dianne Mae

TimeDoctor is a very important tool for me as a freelancer, consultant and start-up entrepreneu...

Reviewed on 5/10/2017

I am able to maintain transparency with my clients at all times. TimeDoctor helps me track my hours and provide documented proof of work and give my clients a better view of how I complete my work/tasks.

It also helps me in managing my time better.

Pros

TimeDoctor is straightforward and easy to use.

I like that the desktop tool offers two versions: Pro and Lite, which helps you to choose the right application based on your usage and computer's resources.

TimeDoctor also has a lot of integrations - particularly to different Project Management tools. This is especially helpful with managing different clients who each have a different preference on the project management tool that they are using.

TimeDoctor is also very cost-efficient for me as a freelancer/consultant.

Cons

The price of additional users is a bit expensive for entrepreneurs who are just starting their own team, but overall, it is a worthwhile expense.

Roldan
Roldan
  • Industry: Design

One of the best Freelance Time Tracker, if you agree.

Reviewed on 10/3/2022

Time doctor has improved enough since I've used it in the early 2014. I love it's reporting, screenshot, billing and archiving.

Pros

Ease of use. One of the best function of the tracker - just like any other software - it should be. Screen capture is the second, just if cases where your client needs to police your progress.

Cons

They might need to fix the redundant notifications. Such as it keeps checking you out if you are still working. If I'm a video editor and I'm rendering a video for 5 hours, the function needs to be intuitive or at least palpable. The software is obviously dependent on keyboard and mouse activities.

Sabrina
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Not a way to improve productivity.

Reviewed on 8/10/2020

Not a great experience. People are not robots that have to be infront of the computer 8 hours a day and constantly typing or moving the coursor. The webcam shot feature is beyond a invation of privacy, mostly for people who work from home. It is a micromanagement app that is completly unnecessary.

Pros

The app is pretty easy to use.. You load tasks and start them by clicking on PLAY. It has lots of features including webcam shots, screenshots, time tracker and pop up that asks whether you've been working when there's no activity on the user's side. They have a computer and mobile app.
Really good feature is that as a company you can set it up to blur screenshots taken so no information is leaked.

Cons

It does not help employees to be productive. The sign that pops up when there's no mouse or keyboard activity shows even when you're watching a video, on a webinar or even making a presentation in which is mostly talking and it is not only super unprofessional but also, if you fail to click on the "Yes (I am working)" the time worked will turn orange and labeled as "Manually added time".

Phat

Great and simple software for tracking employees' time

Reviewed on 20/9/2019

Pros

Simplicity, nothing simpler than finding your task then press it to start your tracking session.

Cons

Sometimes the syncing of time can be incorrect when switching between multiple computers, which can cause loss of working time.

Nazmul
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

It's a good tracker for businesses

Reviewed on 9/9/2022

It's good

It's good

Pros

It provides an all-inclusive experience when tracking progress.

Cons

It could cost a little less. The price right now is higher than other similar oroducy.

HubSpot Marketing Hub and Time Tracker

Reasons for Choosing Time Doctor

Company decision, cheaper offer

Hubstaff

Reasons for Switching to Time Doctor

Easy integration and good feature to price ratio. Overall offers good value for Money
Stephanie
Stephanie
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Time Doctor Employer Payroll and Productivity Tool

Reviewed on 8/11/2021

I have been using Time Doctor for 3 years now and it never fail us to give productivity report, payroll log report and the customer service solutions.

Pros

Time Doctor has a very user-friendly interface, easy to use, and monitor. What I like most about this app is the screenshots are taken every minute of your set time and the reports it generates that I use on our payroll. The customer service is also admirable to the team since they answer within a couple of hours and assist our employees on the concerns and matters.

Cons

That thing that it can not generate night differential hours taken by the employees.

Daniel
Daniel

I recommend it to everyone I know...

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

Amazing. I couldn't imagine running my business without it.

Amazing. I couldn't imagine running my business without it.

Pros

I love the ease of use in getting this software working, and it does that straight out of the box. Very little setup is required and after 2 and a half years using it, neither myself or employees have ever had any issues with it. It makes Payroll a breeze, and I love how in depth the reporting is which makes working with clients so much easier being able to show them time reports and logs. I highly recommend this to anyone I know in the online industry and will continue to do so for a long time!

Cons

It would be great for the manual time if we could limit the amount that is allowed to be added.

Samantha
Samantha
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Very great tool for monitoring remote employees

Reviewed on 12/10/2018

Time Doctor has saved us tons of time and money as we are sure that workers are doing what they should be doing during hours logged in.

Pros

The best part of Time Doctor that differentiates it from the rest of similar apps is that it takes random screenshots throughout the duration of a user that is logged in. This allows us to view their activities and making sure that our workers are productive and time billed is spent wisely and efficiently.

Cons

The cost would be a factor, but they do have volume discounts so that's not really a deal breaker for us.

Muhammad Bilal
Muhammad Bilal

Doctor of Time Track

Reviewed on 24/9/2019

I find overall experience good. Handling and editing to time if needed. You can review your time served as per software. You get a daily summary of your work. You can use timedoctor any where you want you just need to open your mobile app.

Pros

The most likely thing is that it is available for all machines computer, mobile. You can edit time and you can review all the time served per product.

Cons

It starts to show stop dialogue when we are reading article and do not click or use keyword during reading.

Katherine
Katherine

Good experience with this software, it has helped us to measure the remote work

Reviewed on 25/4/2018

Pros

In general, this software allows companies to visualize the work of employees who work from home, it allows you to measure the time they perform with each task and optimize the work, it has taken us out of many difficulties, very good

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult for us to access the software a bit, the load capacity is very slow and it is difficult for us, the rest is very good

Response from Time Doctor

Hi Katherine,

Thank you for letting us know how we have helped your productivity and efficiency mostly when one works from home.

For the issue you are facing, please do report this to [email protected]

Automate your time sheets to save time!

Reviewed on 20/4/2018

I saved a ton of time by using Time Doctor to track how I spend my day and on which projects. I also don't have to write anything down and then worry about losing it before I send a client an invoice. So it's really helped my organization as well.

Pros

Time Doctor has been a lifesaver for me. I am a one-person design company and I need to track the time I spend on many different projects all at once. My previous solution was to write down the time on sticky notes or note pads, but there was always the chance that I might misplace it or lose it. Nor could I generate my invoices from my home office if I'd left the billing hours info at my office. So this was a great all in one solution. Now I can choose the task I'm working on and don't have to worry about writing things down. If for any reason I forget what I was doing for a client and didn't make my task name specific enough, I can go back and take a quick look through the automatic screenshots. I also love that I can see how much time I spend on email and other admin tasks vs the actual design work. Love the reports that Time Doctor gives me as well.

Cons

Not much that I don't like about this software. But suggestions for improvement?

One thing I would love to see is integration with my cell phone. Time Doctor already has an app, but I want it to automatically capture the time I spend on my phone with clients. For now I have to manually enter in this time and must note when the call started and when it ended.

Integration into Wave apps where I generate my invoices. I'd like to be able to select a project from Time Doctor in my invoice and have it automatically populate the time I spent on it and the dates I worked on the project rather than manually finding and entering this information.

Marek

Time Doctor Review

Reviewed on 10/5/2023

Overall, my experience with Time Doctor was positive. It provided me with valuable insights into my work habits and helped me become more disciplined and productive. The ability to generate detailed reports and analyze my time allocation allowed me to make informed decisions about optimizing my workflow. Despite some minor issues, Time Doctor proved to be a reliable tool for time management and boosting my productivity.

Pros

One of the things I liked most about Time Doctor was its comprehensive time tracking features. It allowed me to effortlessly monitor how I spent my time, track my productivity, and identify areas for improvement. The ability to categorize tasks, set project goals, and receive reminders helped me stay focused and efficiently manage my workload.

Cons

One aspect I liked least about Time Doctor was the occasional glitch or delay in tracking time accurately. While it generally worked well, there were instances where it failed to capture time accurately or experienced synchronization issues with certain apps or platforms. These minor inconsistencies could sometimes affect the overall accuracy of my time tracking.

Eduardo

Productivity stile

Reviewed on 17/9/2019

I am having a satisfactory experience, even comparing it with other software that perform the same functions. The TD has helped me to significantly improve my performance as an analyst, this has the same impact on personnel as monitoring to the point of achieving objectives that in principle seemed unattainable.

Pros

Certainly I liked the amount of options, speaking of indicators that help us manage staff and increase productivity significantly. Not only see captures, but also see the activity of their peripherals and the apps and programs they use

Cons

More than a "Cons" i would like that indicators such as low activity may be visible to individuals and not only to those who have TD group management. In turn, that this indicator can be traceable not only in the last 7 days of work but in editable periods of time, example: the last 3 days of work

Mario
  • Industry: Human Resources

There's no better system to use for activity tracking

Reviewed on 27/7/2021

I am solving employee's issues. I am overseeing what they do, and how they manage their own time. Plus, it allows us the possibility to have back-up data in case of a client's complaint.

Pros

I think TimeDoctor has become one of those critical tools that we wouldn't be able to run our business without it. Screenshots activity is one of the most used features within our organization and it allows us to actually oversee and prevent any potential issues that may arise.

Cons

Not at all. I think the app overall is fantastic and should be your daily companion.

DeskTime

screenshots
works even when a...

This software was chosen, as it easily handles the following:
screenshots
works even when a internet outage
easy remote setup

Pros

Reliable, Dependable.
Simple enough to learn and navigate the reports, and to do a deep dive on unproductive/no activity time.
Very little down time/issues, and those were resolved in a timely manner

Cons

dont have a great way to include/time a lunchbreak, as paid time, even though they clock out ( for privacy)
dont have a way to have a shift buffer... aka 7.5hr of shift and 7hrs, 29min shows in red as not good attendance
some of the shortcuts that are so helpful are not obvious that you can click them.... so some features are undiscovered or the managers dont understand how to access them, as they are links from one subwindow to another

Monica
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Does what is needed

Reviewed on 15/5/2023

Pros

When Time Doctor works, it's great. Each employee can be set to different schedules/requirements. It is a great system in the background that allows us to hold our employees accountable if necessary.

Cons

Time Doctor is constantly being updated and if you don't know to update the application, or it doesn't happen automatically, the app will not work as intended. The usual give away is that the app will often stop tracking automatically when starting computer use. Additionally, the admin view is limited. It would be helpful to view the same report/information for multiple employees at the same time. A lot of things have to be done individually.

• Industry: Performing Arts

Great for knowing how long a project took!

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

I'm keeping on task with the things that have to happen every day as well as have a way to look back and see what tasks are done at certain times of year. This helps us plan our department schedule for each upcoming year so we don't forget anything.

Pros

Create your own projects and tasks. Works great for keeping a step by step task list for each project. Ability to edit time for when software updates and/or restarts are required. I love using Time Doctor Pro as my personal time keeper at work.

Cons

Not so much of a con but more of a feature request: it would be great if the software kept some sort of log of active document time. I tend to work on a few documents at a time and it would be great to know how much time is spent on each document without having to manually switch projects/tasks for each document. I almost exclusively use Adobe Creative Cloud programs and Microsoft programs using Mac computers.

Joseph

Time Doctor takes the worry out of hiring remote workers!

Reviewed on 8/3/2018

Users are generally satisfied with the ease of use, and managers are in heaven with the robust features. It has been heaven-sent for tracking our global, distributed workforce.

Pros

- Easily track hours and prove that your workers are actually working (the app tracks movement, poor time use, and also takes screenshots)
- Works on Windows, Mac, and mobile
- Customize the list of projects/tasks that your employees/contractors/freelancers can work on at any given time
- Dashboard and reports galore
- Integration with 30+ applications (at the time of writing this review): communication apps, invoicing apps, project management apps, IDE's, Google G Suite apps, etc.
- Handles payroll!

Cons

- Users have complained at times that the software is buggy and failed to track their time, but this has become less and less common over time

Angelica Marie
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Amazing Software

Reviewed on 10/7/2023

This software helps us to track and become the basis of my employees salary. This makes my job easier. For almost 3years of subscription, I can really say that it is worth it. I really recommend this. So far, so good.

Pros

This software helps us to track and become the basis of my employees salary and time keeping. This makes my job easier. For almost 3years of subscription, I can really say that it is worth it.

Cons

For me, I don't mind the lapses in every software. It is normal, there's nothing perfect. All you need is patience and everything will go on smoothly.

A potent tool for time tracking for independent contractors

Reviewed on 23/9/2020

As an independent contractor, it is important that I keep a track of my time spent on my tasks and projects. Time Doctor allows me to do that efficiently. The wee app that it comes with is useful once you get the hang of it. The good thing is that even if you cancel the wee bar, you still have the tracking running which is great.

A couple of gripes - it keeps reminding you if you are back at work if you have paused the tracking - that is a bit annoying. And second gripe is regarding the random screenshots that can capture personal information. There should be a way in which these screenshots can be blurred.

Other than that, an efficient software that I use frequently.

Pros

Automatic startup with windows
Ability to segregate tasks and projects
Ability to pause the task when taking a break

Cons

The screenshots are taken randomly which is a breach of privacy if you were on a window that has a personal email open. Whoever is the administrator that sees your screenshots taken by the system will also be able to see your personal information. One has to be rather careful when using TimeDoctor that no personal window or task is open so as to not share that info in a random screenshot.

Ruslan
Ruslan

Must-have for managing remote developers and freelancers

Reviewed on 25/8/2018

I'm using TimeDoctor for about 6 years across 3 different companies/teams, to manage remote workers. It helps me to track productivity, better estimate certain tasks in the future, and to quickly see when a person is not well-motivated.

Pros

1. It provides the abilities to track time in a really simple way.
2. It provides native applications for all major desktop OS (MacOS, Windows and Linux).
3. It provides the screenshots feature sometimes can really help to understand what's going on.
4. There's a really helpful team behind the product.

Cons

1. They removed GitHub integration.
2. Long and not-seamless sync of tasks with a remote system (I expect such things to work much faster and in background mode)
3. Our Linux developers sometimes experience issues with the app.

Cherry
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Time Doctor Feedback

Reviewed on 5/11/2021

Good thing about Time Doctor is that, we can easily monitor how many hours our members spent within that specific task and project, for desktop and laptop users, we can identify if the sites and links they opened were really useful for the company.

Pros

What I like most about Time Doctor is that we can easily monitor the work of our team members and the task that they are currently working on

Cons

The least of this app is that, we can't view in terms of mobile and manual time of the team members. We can't identify if the time they are consuming are really used for work since there are no links and sites provided by the said app but only the time they used for work.

• Industry: Design

Spent a lot of time researching - Time Doctor won out

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

After using my own spreadsheet to record my time use for some years, it became cumbersome and there were the inevitable "holes" in my tracking. After researching and using various software packages to track my time I settled on Time Doctor primarily for its ease of use. After using Time Doctor for a number of years I am very satisfied with my choice. Not only does it accurately track my time use but it also helps me to stay "on target" but I'm also able to quote my projects more confidently knowing how long my projects actually take. The entry of tasks is quick and easy; the breakdown of tasks in various reports is also a great benefit.

Pros

Ease of use, timely reminders, concise reports

Cons

Can't think of anything; my overall experience has been very positive and wish more software was as easy to use and as reliable.

Anik
  • Industry: Events Services

Easy and Efficient Software

Reviewed on 11/3/2021

My overall experience with Time Doctor has been great, easy to set up, easy to use and the customer support is great. You do not have to wait long for your query to be resolved. I always recommend Time Doctor for anyone who is looking for time tracking software.

Pros

I like flexibility it offers with managing multiple clients. I like how easy it is to set up and use.

Cons

The new time doctor and classic time doctor confuses me. I have nearly lost my account before logging into the wrong one and trying to set up a new account as I didn't realise i was on the wrong version. Very confusing.

Kathleen
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Love how it keeps me accountable

Reviewed on 6/12/2016

I've been using Time Doctor for tracking my time for several years. I love how easy it is to use and how it hold you to account if it thinks you've changed focus. If I stop working on my project to take a phone call, it recognizes that I am no longer working on my computer. After my preset time has passed, Time Doctor pops up on my screen and asks, "Are you still working on X Project?" If the phone call is related to the project, I can say yes and include it in my time. If it is not, I can say no and Time Doctor will pause the timer for the project I was working on. The same is true if I am naughty and visit Facebook without pausing my timer.

Pros

It's intuitive function and how it knows to pause the timer if I quit working on a project.

Cons

The way it associates tasks and projects is a bit confusing at first.