Wave Accounting

4.4 (1,145)
Accounting, invoicing, and payroll management platform

(1,145)

Leah E.
  • Industry: Accounting

So easy to use!

Reviewed on 21/8/2021

Pros

I love how easy WAVE is to implement and maintain. Reports are quick and easy to generate and provide everything I need.

Cons

I wish the homepage was my dashboard instead of their sales screen.

Lila S.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Great all-in-one accounting

Reviewed on 3/11/2021

An amazing (and free) all-in-one software for small businesses for invoicing, accounting, and tracking business expenses and income!

Pros

Creating custom invoices, tracking expenses and income, transferring funds, and keeping your records organized is so easy.

Cons

I had problems connecting my business banking account to the platform for almost two weeks, but it somehow resolved itself and I was able to do so. Otherwise, no complaints!

Suzanne R.
  • Industry: Photography

Wave error messed up my entire system and they want to charge me $3000 to fix it

Reviewed on 24/1/2020

It was good while it lasted, before their system made my data unusable. They really tried to be helpful, I chatted with several friendly people online, all of whom were unable to resolve my issues. They were unable to refer me to a WaveApps specialist in my area. Ultimately their solution was to offer me one of their bookkeepers at a cost of $3000 to fix the problem they created. No thanks.

Pros

It was wonderfully easy to use, the invoices looked professional and payment processing features were handy.

Cons

TLDR: Major syncing, reconciling and support issues

Two of my accounts synced twice (so I had four accounts in Wave where there should have been two) and they were unable to fix this. Their suggested fixes did not work. They have chat and email support but no phone support and even though they logged in as an admin they were unable to fix this problem.
A recent update to their system caused my entire past four years of records to be unreconciled, and the only fix was to go back to the beginning of time and compare each transaction ever made.
They offered me a bookkeeper to do this for me for $269/month for a minimum of 12 months, despite my being very diligent about keeping my account up to date for the past four years.

I have switched to another system now.

FreshBooks, QuickBooks Payroll and Mint

Reasons for Choosing Wave Accounting

I wanted to be able to send invoices and have everything be tracked automatically.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Wave Accounting

Essentially an acquaintance was using waveapps and it looked like it would be great.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Great Free Accounting Tool

Reviewed on 11/1/2020

We use it for multiple businesses and a non-profit as we are a small cluster of social enterprises that work hand in hand with each other. We are really enjoying working with this software and it has helped us tremedously, all while not costing us a penny!

Pros

On the positive side, this software's functionality is almost up to par with other options that cost a lot of money. Wave is free and for that price what they offer is unbeatable. It is a fully featured accouting software, as it is a web app, it means multiple people can use it simultaniously and it also works great for a virtual team. I like that it is made with non-accountants in mind. For example, when entering transactions there are "Accounts" - but these are only Accounts as a nun-accountant will understand: Cash, Bank, Owners Investment etc. - everything else is called "Categories". This makes it easier for someone not too versed in finances to understand - but behind the scenes Categories are Accounts, just like they always were (e.g. Office Supply Expense Account) - small and simple changes like this make it very easy to use even for a financial analphabet. Two mobile apps compliment the accounting software, one for writing invoices on the go, the other for scanning and (auto)recording expense receipts.

Cons

On the downside, and this can be a big one, you are not able to properly close a period. This means anyone with permission to enter transactions can go and change entries from last year, or add some. This can make things really messy and I hope they add a function where an administrator can close a period such as a month, so that no more changes can be made. Further, you can add other users, but the type of users are quite limited. I wish this could be controlled on a more granular level, e.g. there is the option to add a 'viewer' who cannot edit anything. The next level is somoene who can enter all types of transactions (you can turn of access to bank entries and writing invoices) but it would be nice if there was one where I can let someone add receipts with the mobile app but not do anything else.

Andi L.

Wave Shows Me the Money!

Reviewed on 15/5/2019

Before I used Wave, I was behind every month on my invoicing. I hated sending invoices, and I really, REALLY hated being the Collections person, asking my clients to pay their bills. Then I found Wave, and my whole life changed. I was able to get set up super quickly, connect to my bank, add my clients' contact information, and set up the template for my invoices. Now, I have "Monthly Invoicing" on my calendar, and it takes me about 15 minutes to handle the task (instead of 2 hours). My favorite emails are, "Congrats! You Got Paid!" from Wave. I feel fantastic!

Pros

Wave has absolutely changed my business for the better. It used to take me about 2 hours a month to do my invoicing, which I hated doing, and so I avoided it. Now, I handle monthly invoicing in about 15 minutes. Plus, as new clients come in or one-off projects are completed, I can send the invoices quickly—like 5 minutes. So ease of use is absolutely the first thing I love about Wave.

Second, as a small business owner, I am in charge of acquiring new clients, executing the work, invoicing for the work, and then acting as collections when clients are late in paying. With Wave, I check a simple box that sends reminders to the client when things are past due. What a relief! It's coming from "my accounting department" rather than me. Hallelujah!

Third, the payment process is so easy for my clients! They can pay any way they want—check, credit card, bank, whatever. It's so easy for them, and I have had zero complaints.

It's also fantastic to know when clients have (or haven't) viewed the invoice. And getting the emails from Wave announcing that I've been paid are the best emails of the day.

The fact that all of this amazingness is free? That's just the icing on the cake. Thank you, Wave!

Cons

My only issue with Wave is probably a rare use-case. I manage invoicing for a client of mine. (Side note: Wave made it SO EASY for me to be an admin of her account but not the manager, and I can log into my account to access hers. It is AWESOME!) She sells programs, and her clients generally pay in one invoice. Occasionally, her clients need to pay in installments. It was not easy to set up a recurring invoice for only three months to send to the client, especially without a credit card on file. I had to create three different invoices, and label them as Installment #1, #2, etc. However, I recognize that this is probably a one-off user scenario that not many people would need. And I can't complain when the tool is free, and I found a workaround.

Invoicely

Reasons for Switching to Wave Accounting

Honestly, it seemed ridiculous to pay a monthly fee and such high service charges with ProCharge. I'm not big enough nor do I send enough invoices to justify the cost. For Invoicely, the free plan accepts PayPal payments only, so this would be difficult for many of my clients that are businesses and don't use a PayPal account. And there's no branding available. Wave just offers a perfect solution for small businesses that's free while still being robust. I love it!
Jack E.

Wave has amazing functionality for a free product, but it's not as good as it should be

Reviewed on 14/12/2018

I have been using Accounting by Wave for nearly three years. It was a replacement for my Simply Accounting program. I am forever wondering how Wave can afford to make such a polished product available at no cost. Initially, there were ads, but now that they have a revenue stream from additional services, the ads have been removed. I have opted not to use their in-built payment processing feature, but I imagine it would be similar to Paypal in terms of the fees. Day-to-day operation of the program is smooth. They use a Zapier interface to my bank to update balances and download transactions. This interface is quite slow, although the speed has improved somewhat over the years. As bank transactions are imported, they are categorized into various income/expense categories. I find the categorization to be fairly unhelpful. Even after the user changes the categorization of transactions, Wave does not remember these settings. The next time data is downloaded, it will use the same, incorrect categories as the previous time. Wave is currently rolling out a new version of their software, which promises improvements to the AI (artificial intelligence) capabilities. I hope this means they will remember user-defined categorizations, but until my account is updated, I cannot speculate. There is one VERY ANNOYING bug in the program that I have described in the CONS section, since I've run out of space here.

Pros

The software is FREE for everything other than PAYROLL and PAYMENT PROCESSING. If you don't use those components, there is absolutely no charge. For the most part, it is user-friendly and straightforward, and the quality of its printed invoices, customer statements and reports is top-notch. I really appreciate the ability to create recurring invoices (subscription billing) and view monthly income/expense bar charts for a 1- or 2-year period.

Cons

This is bookkeeping software that stresses simple data entry. However, it doesn't have features such as audit trails for transaction entries. With this program, it is possible to generate transactions, generate reports, and then reverse the transactions without any way of knowing that changes were made. Wave attempts to categorize your income and expenditures, but doesn't currently have the ability to remember your categorizations. But the thing I like least about this software is a BUG that causes the program to download bank transactions and incorrectly categorize them as duplicates of previously downloaded transactions if the transaction amounts match. This bug makes it difficult to find transactions when you are attempting to reconcile your transactions.

Miguel G.

Accounting, with all the bells and whistles, no costs.

Reviewed on 15/3/2018

My business accounting needs are not big. My business is small and provides a limited number of offerings that are easily tracked with any application. So, when I was looking for an accounting solution to further simplify and automate some functions, I was surprised at the number of products and the wide range of prices out there. I stumbled across Wave by accident and decided to give it a try. Besides being free, the list of standard features was greater than all other products out there... from free competitive services to paid basic subscriptions. Wave is truly amazing and I have found it extremely helpful. I use it primarily to bill clients: I create invoices, submit them via email, receive payments online, and request receipts to be sent to clients after payment. Wave provides notifications and simplifies all of my accounting in one place. I would not use any other product.

Pros

Wave is free, and packed with features one would typically pay for in other premium products. Wave is the perfect accounting solution for small businesses. For starters, it offers all the essential features ANY business needs... plus more. Manage estimates, invoices, and statements with ease. It even supports recurring invoicing, manage payments, and build a massive library of products and services to choose from for your estimates and invoices. Wave even manages receipts, bills and vendors to track expenses. Like more control than just simple single entries? Wave supports traditional double-entry accounting as well, for increase control of your business accounting needs. Need to accept credit card payments? Wave has a built-in merchant account feature that let's you collect payments online through your invoices. Make email invoices, or attach them as PDF files. And when you get paid, Wave notifies you. Funds are transferred to your connected business account in a couple of days. Reporting? Wave has you covered. All essential reports are available at your fingertips: financial statements, taxes, customers, vendors, and other general reports. And if your business has employees, Wave can handle your payroll. But this feature is a premium... everything else is part of your free account.

James R.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

My go-to invoicing and accounting tool for my small business!

Reviewed on 6/4/2021

Nothing but amazing! I'm so glad I switched from Square for my invoice and payment processing.

Pros

It is so easy to use, and customized specifically for small business owners. I absolutely LOVE the invoice feature - it's the primary feature that I use - and it just works so well. My completed payments rate is 100% and I believe is at least in part due to how easy the process is to view/pay invoices.

Cons

Sometimes I wish the payment speed was faster after a client makes a payment, but then they introduced instant deposits and I'm happy to pay the small fee to get my money faster!

Stripe and Square Payments

Reasons for Choosing Wave Accounting

Better fees, faster money and Wave is customized specifically for small business owners just like me.

Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Wave Accounting

The UX is so much better, less complicated and I can't say enough how much I like that Wave is designed specifically for small business owners and what matters to them.
Jennifer P.

Free invoicing, billing, and accounting software with paid upgrade features

Reviewed on 9/6/2021

I like that I can do my own bookkeeping and light accounting and this keeps me relatively sane come tax time. I highly recommend Wave to anyone who's willing to learn at least a bit about accounting! With Wave Payments and Wave Payroll, the software works well for self-employed folks just getting started and will grow with them as they add to their team.

Pros

The cost is compelling -- free! -- but beyond that I find the software is advanced enough to do what I need without being utterly overwhelming like other options. I'm not accountant and there's only so much geeking out I want to do. I can send invoices, get paid, track all my expenses and payments, handle business AND personal finances from the same account, and it all works really well with my bank and integrates decently with Stripe via Zapier.

Cons

I'd love Wave Payments to allow for payments in more than one currency. I can invoice in USD and CAD (my main), but I can only accept online payments via Wave in CAD. No biggie.

Andrew M.

Wave Accounting: Could Be Perfect.

Reviewed on 16/2/2021

I am really happy having moved over from Zoho Books and before than from Xero.
I love that you can toggle between personal and business sides easily. Delegation is well thought out.
Personally, I love having my books in the cloud because I can hire a bookeeper who can get to know my workflow. (Wave also has bookeepers you can hire internally.)

It's perfect for people that are small entrepreneurs who need to have a business set of books.

Pros

Wave Accounting is a really great idea. Simple bookeeping for people that don't have "accountant-minds." It gets into a space where programs like Xero and Zoho Books are a little too complicated for non-accountants and creators.

It's got a fantastic UI.

Easy to use.

Fairly easy to setup.

Way more intuitive than competitors like Zoho Books and Xero Accounting.

Cons

Support is really slow. I get that it's a free service, and therefore you have paid support working for free customers. But support takes days to get back to you. So once you're setup, it's fine. But if you have a question or two doing setup, like I did, it takes an extraordinarily long time.

Granted, most people using this might not have to deal with multi-currency and Paypal in particular, but it's something to keep in mind.

Also, the bank connections sometimes fail. Although this is a problem with all of these services who use Plaid to get bank data.

Great product affordable price for small business

Reviewed on 21/10/2020

Overall it has been a great experience. So much so that I use another software that offers these features but I am not willing to switch from Waze. Anytime I have had to use customer service they have been readily available and diligent with their commitment to helping me reach a resolution. It has made invoicing easier for myself and my clients. It keeps me on top of accounting which is not my strongest skill set

Pros

I mostly use the software for invoicing. The invoices are easy to set up and deliver. They are clear and professional looking. I'm able to customize it with my company colors and logo. Payment is easy on my clients end. I love the ability to set up reoccurring statements and print out customer statements to keep track of client accounts. I also enjoy the future for storing client payment options so that I can go in and automatically charge a payment after Services have been rendered.

Cons

It does not do a great job of categorizing income accurately. It counts some income as two separate payments received versus one. This gets especially tricky when you use outside sources such as payment through PayPal instead of credit card or bank. The app could be more streamlined and offer more features to be able to do accounting remotely.

Letha D.
  • Industry: Events Services

Awesome Free Business Accounting

Reviewed on 19/6/2021

As a DIY person Wave has been a great asset to running my freelance business. Best of all it's free, but doesn't feel like you're using a 'free' version of a software. When I have had to reach out to support they have been great.

Pros

I've been using Wave since 2013 and I have never felt a need to move. The service continually gets better. I'm able to track business finances daily and it really helps to invoice and receive payments in the same place.

Cons

Tax responsibility - I wish it could auto-calculate my quarterly estimated taxes based on invoice payments.

Kathy P.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used for 2+ years

Very Good alternative for invoicing customers

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Their invoicing system is easy to use and makes it easy for me to manage most of my clients.I look forward to trying out their accounting services. I decided to give Wave a try when my PayPal acct was on hold. I still use both.

Pros

I have only used the invoicing part of this software. I love it for the most part. I =t is missing a feature or two

Cons

I found that I could not let my clients submit partial payments, or it wasn't clear on how to do it. Multiple payments was not flexible enough for my needs. I would have liked to be able to schedule the payments by specific date rather than genericall as ay, week, month, etc

Reasons for Choosing Wave Accounting

My PP acct was on hold for about 30 days and I needed another solution to bill my clients

PayPal
Michi R.

Online bookkeeping

Reviewed on 26/7/2019

Overall it has been a good experience with Wave. I enjoy that the options I need are free at the moment and the option to charge and collect through Wave is there for me to use in the future. I also like that their customer service is responsive and you can chat when you have questions.

Pros

I enjoy being able to access my information no matter where I am. The ability to create and send invoices from anywhere is important for my business. I also enjoy that I can help manage multiple businesses from one login.

Cons

There's a small issue with tax computation whereby the rounding takes place at the line item level and is causing in certain instances a small overcharge (Penny to pennies) on the tax. They are aware of this issue. Hopefully, it will be resolved.

Quinn B.
  • Industry: Photography

Perfect for One-Person Businesses

Reviewed on 9/2/2019

Wave has and still is the best solution for me. I originally started using it because it was one of the only accounting/invoicing services that had a free plan. That was important for me because I run a debt-free business and didn't want to pay for a monthly service before I even had my first client. Wave's support is also some of the best I've experienced – they're thorough and take the time to go above and beyond to help explain the answer any question I've had.

Pros

Wave has allowed me to send invoices, collect payments, and keep track of income/expenses all in one place. I am a one-person business and when I was first starting my business, I didn't have the need or money to hire a book keeper or accountant. My overhead was low and I only had a few clients each month. The free plan that Wave has helped me manage all of the important accounting stuff by myself without sucking a ton of time out of the week. I've used Wave for years as I've scaled up.

Cons

There was definitely a learning curve to get it set up and understand how it worked. The invoicing and payment setup I needed weren't complicated, but the capabilities of Wave overwhelmed me at first. It can do so much, and the hardest part was to understand the specific features I needed. I wish there were options during setup to view Wave in either a simple setup (i.e. basic accounting, invoicing, payments) or a comprehensive setup (using their accountants, payroll, receipt capture, bookkeepers, etc.)

Susan H.
  • Industry: Graphic Design
  • Used for 2+ years

Saved My Client Project

Reviewed on 30/8/2019

Two is one and one is none. You can't have all of your apples in one basket. Don't always assume that all clients will want to use your established invoicing vendor. Accounting by Wave is a viable option to explore.

Pros

Accounting by Wave totally saved a big client project for me. I have to confess that I normally use another program that shall not be named to do client invoicing. HOWEVER... I had an established client contact me with a big job who recently had a falling out with that site. YIKES! I was scrambling to find a good alternative and Wave saved the day.

Cons

I'm sure I'm not using the program to the fullest. At this time, I don't see any negative aspects to note.

David E.

Invoicing made easy

Reviewed on 14/7/2020

Wave has been incredible to work with, and the features they offer for free are unmatched.

Pros

Ease of use and value. Desired features in a simple, efficient layout. Ease of use. It’s also an incredible value.

Cons

I wish it had a built-in time tracking feature so I could go from time tracked to invoice in one click.

Invoicely, Square Invoices, Harvest and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Wave Accounting

Value, ease of use and design.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Wave Accounting

Value and breadth of features.
Armando R.
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best free accounting software

Reviewed on 29/7/2019

My new "go-to" invoice software. Having multiple clients from different countries. i need a versatile tool so i can get paid without hassle.

Pros

The ability to create multiple currency businesses under the same account. How easy it is to send an invoice and get paid. INtegration with Stripe

Cons

The integration with stripe could be worked a bit. Need to create a "new business" under the same account so i can send invoices in different currencies.

Reasons for Choosing Wave Accounting

And CO got more expensive than i could afford. Wave gives me the same good experience.

More affordable
Oladipo A.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Review of a perfect Accounting Software

Reviewed on 21/9/2021

On the overall, this software allows upload of bank statement for long term documentation.

Pros

Out of all the accounting software available, wave application software has proven to be one of the easiest to use as it makes account keeping interesting.

With this software, one can know how much money comes in as income daily,weekly, monthly and annually and likewise know how much was spent (Expenses Incurred).

Wave accounting software is also used for taking entries of both income and expenses of one's business, either personal or organization. It can be used by small, medium, retail and wholesale enterprises.

This software also allows one to upload all
scanned receipts generated from different transactions.

Cons

It has limited access when using the free version, and when it is paid for, you get much more benefits and access as you choose to pay for.

The software is incapacitated without adequate internet access.

Simon R.

The best experience I ever had with an accounting software

Reviewed on 5/1/2021

Great accounting software, never let us down one time, we tried other options but we always came back to wave accounting!

Pros

Beautiful interface, so easy to use, great onboarding, great customer support, free plan that offer A LOT to a small business

Cons

I would like to be able to generate pay slip in Quebec, and I would like it to have more integration with other software, otherwise, this accounting software is so great I cant say anything else

Sarahgeorge D.

Free accounting tools that work!

Reviewed on 13/9/2017

Saved my from making bad decisions with money as a new business owner and it has simplified my billing process!

Pros

I love Waveapps recurring billing features. Its easy to set up and easy to manage. Clients can save their credit card or pay by bank draft. I don't have to manage multiple payment setups, I just send an invoice from Waveapps and they pay how they want to. If the customer is in the store I can just process their card by typing in the details. Receipts to my clients and from my spending are just as simple. As well, I get a view on my company and personal finances anytime I need it. There is an app for receipts and for invoicing/payments.

Cons

I would love to be able to produce better reports to provide my accountant with for tax purposes. I would love an app that allowed me to log in to my full account from my phone.

Victoria B.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Easy to use and free

Reviewed on 22/5/2020

I’ve shopped around for years before finding Wave. I used free and paid services that failed to meet his expectations. Wave meets my needs easily.

Pros

Free software
Affordable rates for payments
Easy to use reporting
Instant payout options

Cons

Reporting options are basic, which is expected for a free service.

Reasons for Choosing Wave Accounting

Quickbooks is more complicated and expensive.

Quickbooks Online

Best value overall
Quintin P.
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

I suggest this to my startup business clients

Reviewed on 1/12/2015

I'm two years into my business and for nearly the first year I used Wave. It's what I suggest to my clients who are looking for something cloud-based and easy to use. Yes, it is not perfect, but it's FREE. I currently use InvoiceASAP, but I'm strongly considering switching back to Wave after the first of the year. Why? The cost of one, but features are another. Nothing else free compares.

Pros

Receipt scanner.
Invoices look nice.
Email is sent from Wave account (Not quite sure that is a plus or a negative).
Connects to your Bank Account and lets your categorize the transaction.
Dashboard has great-looking layout with graphs.
Paid invoices are marked as a receipt instead of an invoice which makes more sense to me.
Will alert you of non-payment on a regular basis.
Sales Tax Report is basic, but layout is very appealing.
Has Premium Payroll option starting at $19/month with direct deposit included.
On a more positive note, I recently received an email from the CEO saying to look out for improvements to Wave in the near future. Apparently, there will be new tools and features and it will be faster. I look forward to that.

Cons

The App on iPhone and iPad is slow.
I don't remember using support, so I can really speak to how quick or effective they are. It's FREE so I'm guessing it's not superior.
It's not Quickbooks, but it works. However, it you have Quickbooks (Stand Alone version) on your computer and you bank with an up-to-date institution that allows you can integrate for a fee and not have to pay an additional ongoing subscription to Quickbooks online.

Rich D.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Awesome cloud accounting!

Reviewed on 30/9/2019

I searched for free online invoicing and found Wave Apps. I was skeptical at first, but found it easy to set up and use. I've recommended it to a colleague who started using it too and she loves it.

Pros

Wave accounting is super easy to set up and use. It makes us look more professional in our quoting and invoicing and helps us keep track of our receivables. We can have more than on person accessing it at one time which for us is really helpful. Best of all it's free to use at the level we're using it for. We're a very small company, so this helps us greatly.

Cons

There is nothing that I can think of at the moment that I dislike about the Wave accounting software.

Kevin F.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Fresh and easy to use

Reviewed on 25/2/2021

Wave has been great for us, we've slowly been moving away from traditional software like Quickbooks because this does the basics so well at a much lower cost.

Pros

Wave has done a great job improving upon the interfaces were constantly faced with in the other popular accounting packages on the desktop. It takes advantage of web technologies well to provide a responsive fluid interface for all the everyday accounting you need to do.

Cons

It's lacking in a number of features, but all in all it has the basics covered off really well. I can't really thing of anything these days I'm missing.