BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable Reviews

BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable

Write a Review!
BILL, a leader in financial automation software for small an

3.9/5
4.1/5
4.2/5
3.8/5

Ekalavya
Ekalavya

The best account platform for small and medium businesses

Reviewed on 15/6/2022

Our experience has been great.

Our experience has been great.

Pros

Saves thousands of dollars in wire and credit card processing charges. Works better than any other payment processor for payments via ACH

Cons

Sometimes it takes longer than 3 working days to receive the payment in our accounts

Response from BILL

We're really grateful and appreciate you taking the time to share your rating with us,
Ekalavya. Thank you for your review!

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

My 2 years experience with Bill.com

Reviewed on 30/9/2023

Pros

- We use BILL(Bill.com) for processing and payment of invoices and to manage vendors. - We are able to use Bill.com provide timely payments and managing vendors. - AI recognitions of invoices is useful- Easy to enter bills, track bills and apply payment to bills which are already paid.- Availability of reports.- Availability of payment methods like Check and E-payment for US vendors and Wire for international vendors.

Cons

- Sometimes facing issues with connecting vendors to E-payment or Wire payment.- Tech support is only available by chat.- Sync errors should give more detail on what's causing the issue- There are no issues apart from above, if i encounter any issues in future i can edit this review.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your experience with our BILL software! We are thrilled that you are finding our IVA useful and that it is easy to enter bills, track them and apply payments to partially paid bills. Also that the availability of payment methods and reports is handy. We are sorry for any frustrations caused by lack of details on some sync errors and connecting vendors with E-payments or wire payments. You are able to request a call/email/chat with our customer support by going to our website: https://help.bill.com/hc/en-us

Patrice

New system makes it unworkable

Reviewed on 29/4/2020

I used to love Bill.com, but now I am going to push my client to look for something else. It is awful and has not improved since they started this last year

Pros

The best part of the new system (vs the Classic Bill.com) is the bill payment grouping. You can filter for the name of the vendor, select the invoices to pay and mark the date on the next page. Very easy

Cons

The new system is so tech heavy that it takes twice as long to enter an invoice. The recognition software only works on half the invoices that are uploaded. At times it picks the wrong vendor completely. I have to choose the vendor, wait for it to "find" a match in my system, select it and then move to the invoice number, date and then look for the box that houses the amount. It is so spread out that it takes too long for the eye to move down the page. I have stopped putting my invoice number in the description because it means I have to scroll down the entry page. I loved the old version where everything existed in about 4 inches of space. If you have to skip an entry, and go to the next page in the document, it will associate that skipped page to your next entry, even after it is marked not to associate. I have found multiple invoices matched to the wrong vendors and how to find these is a nightmare. If I have a duplicate invoice in my uploaded documents, i have to close the window and go back to the Inbox screen. I then have to guess which document contains my duplicate because it is not clear which one I was working on. I cannot see the duplicate invoice, but only a thumbnail of the 1st document in my stacks. I have contacted customer service after they cut off the Classic version, I received an email asking me to explain what was happening. I did, and then nothing happened.

Ashlyn

The best choice for your business!

Reviewed on 29/2/2024

Pros

The simplicity of BILL makes it worth it all! All of the features allow for many things to be done through one source. The customer service has been very helpful every time that I have needed assistance!

Cons

I personally have not had any issues while using BILL so far and I do not see that changing!

Response from BILL

Thank you, Ashlyn, for your five star review of our software! We are thrilled that you enjoy the simplicity of BILL with our features being beneficial and that customer service has been helpful every time you needed them. Please continue to provide us with your feedback as we're always working hard to improve the software for our users.

Jennifer

AP made easier

Reviewed on 21/12/2023

Over all I love using BILL daily for AP processing.

Over all I love using BILL daily for AP processing.

Pros

The interface of BILL is easy to navigate and user-friendly compared to QB.

Cons

I occasionally get frustrated with the AI auto-populating feature while processing invoices.

Response from BILL

Thank you Jennifer for your five star review of our software! We love that you find our interface easy to navigate and user-friendly. We are sorry for any frustrations caused by our IVA system when processing invoices. We appreciate all feedback as we are always trying to improve our customer's experience with our software.

Mackenzie
Mackenzie
  • Industry: Human Resources

Getting help is painful

Reviewed on 1/10/2018

It's not great. We use bill.com to invoice our customers. 60% of our client base has complained about the experience with bill.com because setting up accounts is not intuitive, and clients often times have set up different kinds of accounts by accident then feel harassed by reminder emails which state they haven't paid an invoice, even though they are marked as "paid" on our end. We paid a hefty API integration fee in an effort to host all of these invoices in our own system so that our customers wouldn't have to interact with bill.com. However, now we are facing a whole new set of challenges trying to gather information from bill.com that isn't exposed, but is integral in making the integration successful... then trigger days and days of frustration with support to get about 60% of the information that we need.

Pros

The ease of creating and tracking invoices

Cons

Trying to work with support actually ruins my day. The only way you can talk to a human on the phone is by scheduling a phone call. Every time I have done that we've had issues connecting and there's no number you can call. I also feel like every time I reach out to support via chat or email I get a completely different level of information and service. Sometimes they give you what you need right away, other times they say they can't provide you with that information you need to jump through additional XYZ hoops.

Response from BILL

Mackenzie, we're sorry to hear about this experience with our app, we'd love to help out if you're still experiencing any issues. Please do not hesitate to contact our team directly by taking the following path: Log into your BILL account and navigate to Support (lower left-hand corner) and then type in your question in the bot that will appear in the lower right-hand corner. After typing in your question, please select contact support. Thanks again and we look forward to helping you!

• Industry: Graphic Design

Bill makes it easy to receive ACH payments from clients

Reviewed on 11/8/2023

Overall, Bill is a smooth, fast, and easy way to receive payments from clients paying via ACH.

Pros

Bill is a low-friction way of receiving payments for invoices. Even though I do not invoice through Bill, many of my clients use it to provide ACH payment, and this is quick and easy for all parties.

Cons

At first, I did not really understand what Bill was, as I was asked to join because a client wanted to use it to pay me. I have received multiple phone calls from Bill asking me for more information about my business, and I have declined, as I have no desire to add more features or upgrade my account because I am currently content with the way it works now.

Response from BILL

We appreciate you sharing your great experience with the app, especially receiving payments via ACH. We're going to share this with our product team, who always enjoy hearing positive feedback.

BILL for Web Developers

Reviewed on 22/11/2023

Pros

It creates very professional looking pdf invoices and you can adjust the templates to however you like. The best thing about it is that it supports multiple currencies.

Cons

If you are moving from another billing software, it can be difficult to transfer all data and very time consuming to transfer it smoothly.

Response from BILL

Thank your you review and we are glad to be able to provide you with professional looking invoices that you can edit to your business needs. BILL is glad to be able to offer the ability for multi-currency to our customers. We apologize for the frustrations you experienced when transferring from you old billing software to ours. Please continue to provide your feedback as we use it when planning for the future of BILL.

• Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Getting our money on time

Reviewed on 29/10/2023

Pros

Some clients pay our invoices through Bill and it's so easy, Set up took a minute but after that, it's completely, well, non complicated. Like a good flight, when someone asks you about your flight you say "uh, it was fine.' because everything went as expected. Bill is the same.

Cons

Sometimes on high use days the interface is not as lightning fast as it is on other days.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your 5-star review! We are thrilled to hear that invoicing has been easy to manage. We appreciate your feedback on the speed of the interface and have passed that on to our production team. Please continue to provide any feedback that you might have as we are always looking for ways to make our service better.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

BILL makes it easy

Reviewed on 22/10/2023

Pros

Very straight forward to set up initially then to use. Easy to submit and go

Cons

Less functions and tools. Not as transparent as competitors but gets the job done

Response from BILL

Thank you for your positive feedback! We love hearing that our software was easy to setup and use. We apologize for any frustration caused by missing functions and tools. You can put in feature requests if there is something that believe is missing by going to leave feedback on your BILL account page or alternatively you can reach out to customer support by going to our website: https://help.bill.com/hc/en-us and request a call/chat or email

Anne

Continual heartbreaker

Reviewed on 18/9/2020

Pros

It was my first experience with any robust cloud-based software (meaning besides online banking) and set a high bar for a long time.

Cons

I’m an accountant and have been a Bill.com user for over 10 years. I use Bill.com with my clients and have recommended it many times to anyone with a small to midsize business. That’s all in the past though. Bill.com seems to be absolutely hell bent on slowly destroying what used to be an amazing, reliable software. I feel things started getting worse around the time they went public, but that could be a coincidence. Pricing has gone up considerably in recent years. The newest platform is buggy and they keep taking away features or moving them around so you have to play hide and seek. Their customer support personnel used to be wonderfully helpful, and now many folks I encounter barely understand the basic functioning of the software yet are quick to mark your case solved. My clients are getting frustrated with all the reduced quality alongside increased pricing and I’ve started searching for an alternative because there are so many competitors.

Response from BILL

Hi Anne! We're sorry to hear you're not enjoying your Bill.com experience, though we would love an opportunity to make it right! The fastest way to get pass on feedback is through our Help Center. After you log in to the Bill.com account, click Support in the left navigation pane. In the Help Center, you can search for answers and click Contact Us to chat with us securely.

Chad
  • Industry: Public Safety

Terrible Customer Service Team

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

My experience has me looking at the competitors as they seem to be struggling to keep this company together.

Pros

We were up and running quickly! No more printing checks in house.

Cons

Customer service is terrible. If you have problems you will need to wait at least a day or two after making an online appointment. Then you only get 20 minutes with the representative whom will offer a quick solution and not follow through with the rest of the workflow. This will leave you setting another online appointment, wait a couple of days and the process keeps repeating. Very frustrating! No one is on the same page! Three different answers from 3 different reps and still having workflow issues!

AvidXchange

Reasons for Switching to BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable

Bill.com was quick with setup/onboarding.

Response from BILL

Hi Chad! We're sorry to hear you're having trouble with our Customer Support. We'd love to hear your feedback if possible. The fastest way to get your questions answered is through our Help Center. After you log in to the Bill.com account, click Support in the left navigation pane. In the Help Center, you can search for answers and click Contact Us to chat with us securely. From there, please request to chat with a member of Customer Support Leadership. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kim
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Super simple to use, reliable and secure

Reviewed on 19/9/2022

Overall, we love this software. It has served our small organization well as we've grown. We don't have a full blown, multi person accounting and bookkeeping department but still have significant bookkeeping needs. This allows us to be more efficient and keeps us organized.

Pros

We really like the approval process and how simple it is to set up and use.
Allows the ability to split payments across multiple projects and account codes.
Allows vendors to input sensitive financial information needed to pay them via ACH without assuming liability that comes from handling sensitive information by our staff members. Great system!
The audit trail is helpful when trying to rectify a mistake. It allows you to look back at the process and see where something was entered or approved incorrectly and by whom. Great accountability.
The approval process workflow is exactly what our organization needed.

Cons

If a vendor enters something incorrectly when setting up their account or if they need an address changed, we aren't able to do it for them. That is terribly inconvenient at times.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Kim. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying our app, and we'll be sure to get your feedback from our product team!

Kristina
  • Industry: Accounting

A Fast Convenient way to pay bills for any size business.

Reviewed on 3/10/2023

Mostly ver smooth and efficient way to process high volumes of payments and insure accuracy in the payment amounts, payee etc.

Pros

I love that you can issue payments using a bank account or a credit card with a fairly quick turnaround time. The pricing of Bill is also very competitive compared to our other options.

Cons

Virtual card payments are not something I love. Also, Bill has automatically connected me with vendors that are not the vendor I had entered, so there is an opportunity for improvement in the network connections.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your positive review Kristina! We love to hear that making payments using BILL software is working for you. We apologize for any frustration that our virtual card program may have caused. We will pass along your feedback about network connections. If you have any questions or concerns, you can reach our customer support by going to our website: https://help.bill.com/hc/en-us and request a call/chat or email

Delay payments to contractors

Reviewed on 11/12/2017

Cons

I contract with a company that uses bill.com to pay bi-monthly. The company I work for promptly processes payroll and gets it to bill.com. However, bill.com sits on your money for several days before processing it. Some of the claims are that it can't process anything on a weekend, because "banks are closed", which is a ridiculous claim to make because they pay electronically for the most part, at least in my case, and those kind of payments can be processed at any time. Even Monday through Friday it is apparently impossible to get customer service to respond to your inquiry even with repeated follow-up. Apparently they can create automatic email responses to your inquiries and yet cannot process a simple electronic payment. I am fully aware it is very simple thing to process an electronic deposit payment, and there is absolutely no reason to sit on my money for 3 to 5 days before doing so, whether those days fall on a weekend or not. The absolute lack of customer service is appalling. When I login, my payment information from the company I contract for is shown as overdue. Today is Monday, not a holiday, and yet they still could not process something they received last week. Even if they process it tomorrow, it will be a day or two before they get around to electronically depositing it to my card. I love the company I contract for, and I am going to complain to them about this practice and urge strongly to find another vendor, as Bill.com apparently cannot handle something that is a 2 times a month routine practice with my contract company. And I guess it's probably apparent to everyone why they sit on your money for a couple of days - even tho they do charge fees for their services, and that SHOULD BE how they make their money, I guess a little interest helps as well. By the way, there are no phone numbers provided, nor any other direct means of contacting someone about this issue other than email, which other than generating a generic received reply message, is apparently otherwise ignored. Companies who would consider using this company as their payment controller for their contractors, I highly do not recommend it as it is the absolute worst thing about the company I contact with. It's only the fact that the company I contract with is such a great company that I stay. And they may be unaware of the games that bill.com is playing with their contractors' money, but they are going to be made aware of it as soon as I hit submit after this review.

Kelsie

Bill.com for Account Payable

Reviewed on 20/2/2019

This is a big help for Account Payable. You can track and manager all pay out in an one place. You can see approval, requestor, total amount, history, etc. Also, you can deny the pay out without exchanging tons of email to the requestor.

Pros

1. Can store all your independent contractors' information including the contract and W9. There is an attached file option.

2. Can approve via mobile

3. Can track a vendor's history, payout, approval

4. Can add as many approval as you want

5. So easy to use. Drag the paperwork and upload

6. Email notification of status, from approval to pay out

7. Can add multiple entities for one user. For example, I manage two organizations and with one log in, I can access both

8. Communicates with other accounting software

Cons

The preview window can be improved. There is a preview and another pop up to write an expense. Somehow it is confusing sometimes.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Kelsie. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our app and we'll be sure to get your feedback up to our product team!

Jacquie

Mixed Feelings

Reviewed on 13/11/2023

Overall, I have found that their customer service is good which is important when needed. Our other product, Xero, has ZERO customer service. If I had to decide between these two products mentioned here, I would definitely pick BILL.

Pros

This is easy on the eyes and very user friendly which important to me.

Cons

Our company has this integrated with Xero and I do not feel they work well together without duplication.

Response from BILL

Thank you Jacquie for reaching out and providing feedback. We are happy to hear that our software is easy on the eyes and user friendly. We are sorry about any frustration caused by integrating with Xero. Please feel to reach out to our customer support by going to our website: https://help.bill.com/hc/en-us and request a call/chat or email if you need any help with your sync concerns.

Good software for Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable functions.

Reviewed on 25/9/2018

Great software that helped our company's AP dept go paperless.

Great software that helped our company's AP dept go paperless.

Pros

Bill.com is very easy to use. Great platform to digitally store all invoices and go paperless. Audit trail captures all transactions and dates which reduces the possibility of fraud. You can create approval chains and add/remove approvers to different invoices. Their customer service is top-notch. Their live chat reps are very helpful. Has the ability to sync with many popular accounting software (NetSuite, Quickbooks, Intact).

Cons

Syncing issues with NetSuite do occur from time to time but their customer support is very helpful in rectifying them. They recently updated their user interface and although it is more visually appealing than before, it doesn't function any better.

Response from BILL

We're glad that you have a great experience. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your review.

• Industry: Public Policy

Exceeds expectations

Reviewed on 15/6/2018

Pros

EASY set up and integration with QuickBooks online. Very intuitive UI. HUGE time-saver. It used to take a full day to do a weekly check run. I can now accomplish it in an hour and a half, MAX. Probably faster if we used more of the features. Has the ability to pay vendors via ACH and is less than half the cost per transaction than a paper check.

Cons

The add on to automatically enter invoices, while a very big value and totally worth the extra expense, doesn't take into consideration the vendors terms set up in Bill.com. So if you have an invoice from a vendor that says due upon receipt, but the vendor profile in bill.com is Net 30, Bill.com defaults to due on receipt. An override setting would be helpful. Getting vendors set up on ACH/EFT is a little tough for tech challenged folks.

Stéphane
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Very easy accounting tool

Reviewed on 11/9/2022

Pros

Bill.com tool is very powerful to manage bills. It is very easy to pay supplier bills

Cons

I did not find any inconvenience, bill.com

Response from BILL

We're glad that you had a great experience, Stéphane. We appreciate you taking the time to share your review.

Daniel

Good idea, but poor support and answers from company

Reviewed on 20/12/2018

Great concept but if you don't have the customer support in place this whole process is useless. Other companies out there supply the same support and my advice would be to seek out those companies as for the price and service you get, it's well below where it should be.

Pros

Set up isn't very difficult and linking to QBO is easy, ability to set different approval levels is a great feature for segregation of duties

Cons

Awful customer support. Can't talk to anyone on the phone, just thru chat. They send a client of mine an email saying the following: "We are writing to inform you that Bill.com is no longer able to offer services to xxxx based on a review of the account and activity. Your account has been deactivated and canceled. You will not be charged for any subscription fees for the current period. " Tried to follow up to get answers, no response, chat people just say they can't help. No explanations given. Also two weeks prior to this they had issues with sending out approved payments so we had vendors calling asking where payments were, awful experience with this group

Quality AP processing

Reviewed on 24/1/2019

Bill.com has saved us several hours a month with as we have streamlined our customer payment collections as well as AP approval processes.

Pros

It is quick and easy to forward emails with bill attachments to bill.com for AP processing. It is one of the features we love about it. Being able to set up rules that require different approvers based off of the amount of the bill makes it so much easier for our firm to get bills into the right hands.

Cons

Reporting is limited. Using this module for AP and AR on a daily basis, it would be nice to have some better reporting built within the system.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Daniel. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our app and we'll be sure to get your feedback up to our product team!

Amanda
  • Industry: Accounting

Great for receivables or payables

Reviewed on 6/2/2020

Our bookkeepers can enter the bills, the manager can approve them, and the CFO can make the payments. The segregation of duties helps protect the company. Simple to use. Easy to see when a payment will arrive and when a check clears.

Pros

It makes it easy to have an audit trail for entering, approving, and paying bills. It also makes it easy for customers to send electronic payments for their invoices. Customizable user permissions.

Cons

When you invite a vendor or customer to use Bill.com, it requires them to give quite a bit of information in order to set up an account. Some are reluctant to do so.

Response from BILL

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave an excellent rating. We really appreciate your review, Amanda.

Kelly
Kelly
  • Industry: Accounting

Bill.com is a great way to get rid of having to write paper checks.

Reviewed on 28/12/2017

Time saving.

Time saving.

Pros

I like that I can track when checks go out, if they've been cashed, and easily re-submit a check for repayment or for voiding. I like that I can invite anybody to pay via ePayment and they are in charge of entering their bank info in instead of me. I like that any paper checks that do go out, go out with a copy of the invoice you've uploaded into the system for ease of vendor tracking.

Cons

The refund or returned check feature doesn't always sync 100% properly with QBO (but 95% of the time it does).

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Kelly. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our app and we'll be sure to get your feedback up to our product team!

• Industry: Events Services

Terrible, just Terrible

Reviewed on 22/12/2019

The number of hoops that I had to jump through to get set up was time consuming. Bill.com has failed on so many levels I am shocked that the people running the place are able to even get out of bed in the morning, let alone operated a sophisticated billing company.

Pros

The only thing that might be of any interest is that it's EFT fee is baked into the monthly subscription fee plus $.50 per transaction.

Cons

Bill.com is supposed to sync payments recorded in Quickbooks, but it hasn't done that. That is a nightmare.
Bill.com allows clients to create their own invoices after sending them an invoice. Why??!! I had a client make their own invoice, assign their own number to that invoice, then pay the amount that was due, but it looks like I didn't get paid to the original invoice. WTF is that?

Bill.com holds onto your money for a number of day before sending it to your account. Totally ridiculous.

I have received multiple errors not permitting me to send money to vendors with no hope of resolution.

Response from BILL

Hello! We are sorry to hear you're having trouble with getting set up and Invoicing with Bill.com. We would love an opportunity to make it right! The fastest way to get your questions answered is through our Help Center. After you log in to the Bill.com account, click Support in the left navigation pane. In the Help Center, you can search for answers and click Contact Us to chat with us securely.