Namely

All-In-One HR, Payroll, and Benefits Solution

4.2/5

Santiago
Santiago

As an HRIS Namely is as good as it gets. Works out of the box but it does adapt to your...

Reviewed on 13/4/2018

Pros

As an HRIS Namely is as good as it gets. After using many other platforms in the past, I can say that Namely provides an easy to use platform that works out of the box but offers a great deal of customization to fit your workflows. They are constantly releasing new features and improvements that are visible and useful with a support staff that is always ready to help.

Having HRIS, Payroll and Benefits in one place and dedicated client rep and dedicated benefits rep is definetely hard to beat.

Cons

Integration between payroll and HRIS is a work in progress that still needs work. I am confident they will continue to improve it moving forward.

Tess

CircleCI<>Namely

Reviewed on 30/1/2020

Our experience with Namely has definitely been tumultuous. We had a very rocky start and it continued to be rocky as the turnover rate was extremely high on their CS team. We had about 6 CSMs within one year. Constant issues with the platform and no resolution in sight. Things are better now and Namely seems to be making great strides towards progress, but still has work to do.

Pros

-one source of truth for all employee information
- easy to track/request time off
-resources tab is helpful for new hires
-place to store private employee data
-very customizable

Cons

-SO many issues in the beginning(especially with workflows and onboarding templates)
(ex. when you submit a salary change workflow you have to do two separate workflows for base salary and commission, even though the commission piece is added into the workflow).
-can't easily hide legal name from other employees view
-tasks tab is pretty much no use to us. When you assign a task to someone there is no way to set reminders or alert you if you have a task overdue. Also, no notification or red flag that says you have incomplete tasks on the homepage.

ADP Workforce Now, BambooHR and Paylocity

Reasons for Switching to Namely

We thought it would be best for what we needed. Globally distributed. Payroll+HRIS. Customizable.

Avoid at all costs

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Terrible - service reps do not know the system, standard payroll practice, let alone any questions. Service tickets get lost, takes months for resolution of more complex tasks and extreme micromanagement

Pros

It's pretty. There is really no other pro.

Cons

HRIS:
No proper Leave tracking for maternity/paternity, jury duty, bereavement leave ETC
There's no way to see a PTO accrual history
Employees are not alerted when their address format is invalid
Only one set of holidays - UK sees all US Holidays
When reporting structure changes you have to make MANUAL changes in Namely Payroll IN ADDITION to doing a mass upload in the HRIS
Doesn't auto track history of Job titles
Need to manually assign PTO to employees not automatic
Leave approval amends, not sent
Lack of point in time reporting
Does not auto assign pay group based on the type of pay entered

Payroll:
You can't retract partial payments
Had to print W2s and sort through employees that electronically consented and send out those that did not
"We have to do all of the calculations manually when there is a comp change in the middle of a pay period "
Invalid addresses prevent us from proceeding with payroll
We are unable to easily add "time and a half" for employees who work on holidays
Takes weeks to add a new department code
Tax withholdings do not flow seamlessly from HRIS to Payroll
If we need to Mark an employee as FICA tax exempt we need have to reach out to Namely as only they can do this
Employee ID do not flow over to HRIS
Manually have to add holiday pay for employees does not flow into payroll
You have to manually exclude employees from payroll once terminated

Time and attendance:
Time card entry is tedious
PTO doesn't communicate to Payroll
You have to man

Allison

Highly Recommend

Reviewed on 5/3/2020

Pros

Namely is easy to use. I highly recommend using all options for a true integrated experience - HRIS, Payroll, Benefits & Time. It has definitely enabled our small People Ops team be able to support our company's rapid growth. It has a great user interface for our employees. Namely is constantly adding new features and improvements, which shows me they are constantly looking to adapt their product to the needs of their customers.

Cons

Namely is very much "self-service", which can be great if you have the answers and the knowledge. However, there are some drawbacks with payroll, which can often provide tax & regulatory challenges. Getting a hold of the right person when we have detailed payroll questions, can sometimes be difficult.

BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to Namely

At the time, Bamboo did not offer a Payroll integration, among other reasons.
Toni
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Namely Software

Reviewed on 10/2/2021

Pros

I love the ability to have all of my onboarding forms in one place. Employees are able to electronically sign and eases the onboarding process.

Cons

The feature that I like the least is the benefits process. The last two years I have had problems with registering new employees with the insurance and it seems like I end up doing the registration myself so the employees can get their insurance.

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that Namely has been able to offer you onboarding features that best fit your company.

Good product for growing company

Reviewed on 26/4/2023

Pros

The social feature on the home page was great. I loved how our team was able to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries when they logged on.

Cons

When I used it Namely was new to the industry and had some growing pains they went through. Re-orgs and misses on design layout. Was still happy to use it on a daily basis though!

Leon
Leon
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Easy and sustainable.

Reviewed on 28/9/2018

Namely is simple and easy to use, it requires a few improvements that seem to be coming soon. It still has some glitches that need an urgent fix, but with the few conversations I've had with the Customer Support team, I can tell that Namely will greatly improve in future versions.

Pros

It is a straightforward and easy to use software, the user interface is the simplest one in the market of HR Management tools. It is a good example of the Integration between Payroll and HR Systems, and might be useful in the Linkbuilding bussiness with a few enhancements and addons.

The Customer Service is great and the people involved are very kind and competent.

Cons

The customization of the processes is not easy to implement, and tends to be tiresome, and in many cases it slows down the navigation.

It is currently lacking a proper auto-sync feature.

It does not have the E-signature feature for current employees.

The performance management module has a complicated nature.

There could be a better integration between the HR and the Payroll modules. As I explained in the Pros, it is easy to use but it could be highly improved in terms of pragmatic functionalities over the user friendly interface.

Tilly
  • Industry: Music

I Recommend Namely

Reviewed on 15/6/2023

I really enjoyed the platform, my overall experience was a positive 10/10!

I really enjoyed the platform, my overall experience was a positive 10/10!

Pros

Namely is easy to navigate, can easily be accessed anywhere, and in my experience, has a small amount of website issues. It's a hub you utilize daily when employed with a company, and a platform you can still access after you've switched jobs. It was very helpful when filing 2022 taxes even though my new company doesn't utilize Namely.

Cons

The only feature I remember having issues with was not being able to go back and edit PTO time after the scheduled PTO time period had passed. For example, if i had requested 8 hours of PTO but only took 6, I was unable to edit the next day. My manager would have to completely delete the request, and i'd have to create a new one.

Trinity
Trinity

Excellent Solution for SMBs and Scaling Companies

Reviewed on 10/9/2018

The best parts about using Namely is their excellent support+success team and the constant growth that they are experiencing which results in frequent updates that make my job easier. Having a fully integrated solution has saved me an abundance of time. The ease of integration with the HRIS tool is great for scaling companies that use a variety of products to function but want one-source-of-truth. Reporting capabilities in both HRIS and Payroll are detailed and have gained the stamp of approval from Finance and HR.

Pros

-Excellent customer support.
-One stop solution for HRIS, Payroll, and Benefits.
-Very customizable for different use cases.
-Constant and reliable product updates and roadmap.

Cons

-Document storage is not robust
-While the tool is very customizable, it is a slight learning curve to master the smaller details.

Micquella
Micquella

Namely brings together HRIS, payroll, and benefits into a pleasantly designed, easy to use...

Reviewed on 14/3/2018

Pros

I love that benefit elections are synced to payroll. Before Namely, this was a huge manual effort to maintain and audit. Namely is engaging and simple for employees to use - I get frequent positive feedback on that, across our staff demographics. People also really like the activity feed to give appreciative shout-outs to coworkers. As an admin, Namely's flexible permissions are a huge plus - this is something I've missed with other cloud software my company uses.

Cons

The Time Off functionality is a bit simplistic. I'd also like to see more configurable, custom notifications.

Joseph

Namely is a great option for a mid sized company

Reviewed on 4/8/2021

Pros

The software flows very well and links everything so it's easy to onboard and offboard employees. The profiles store employee data efficiently and the reporting and analytics is very useful.

Cons

There are many inconsistencies or illogical set ups that make the software wonky at times. For example, titles are considered an "object" rather than text. So you have to add every title manually in the backend. THEN, only on the onboarding form can you search titles. Everywhere else you must search the alphabetized list manually for your title. This is just a minor inconvenience. A more major one is how salaries are handled. When inputting a salary for payroll you have to calculate out how much each check should be and input that in addition to listing the annual salary. This might be fine if every other form or field didn't calculate it automatically for you. This seems like a major oversight and really puts into perspective how this software was developed. And that is, many teams working on their own parts without any formal cohesion of functionality. Honestly, it feels like an intern built the whole onboarding piece (which is the function you will use the most).

BambooHR and Workday HCM

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our platform has simplified your onboarding and offboarding processes. As for your pain point about salaries, we apologize for your negative experience. Fixing that process is currently on our product roadmap and we look forward to making your experience as seamless as possible.

Austin

Good Product and Company with Direction

Reviewed on 4/3/2020

Namely has saved us time in a lot of areas once we really learned how to use the system. We have been very impressed with Namely's interest in responding to client needs and I've not ever worked with a company such as theirs with a roadmap that is truly responsive to clients. One area they can continue to improve upon is in customer service--I find myself needing to follow up on service requests often. That said, I know it is something that they are working on improving. Overall good experience with Namely.

Pros

Namely's onboarding function has been a huge time saver for our company. We have a lot of documentation that employees must sign and review before starting and it makes it easy for them to find it all in one place. Performance reviews are also a breeze with Namely. Lastly, we have found a lot of benefit in the all-in-one nature of Namely for ourselves and our employees.

Cons

The integration between HRIS, Payroll, Benefits, and Time can certainly continue to be improved. Additionally, our company manages multiple EINs and so we would like to see Namely continue to improve functionality for this.

Caryn
  • Industry: Sports

Review of Namely for time management, easily accessible benefits information and other perks

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Namely has been transformational for our business, improving efficiency and allowing employees and managers to focus more on the core work of the organization without being bogged down by time-consuming HR tasks. The ability to track leave, benefits and paystubs all in one software keeps us accountable and avoids lots of paperwork!

Pros

Before my company started using Namely, we were submitting our time-off requests on paper and routing through multiple mailboxes for approvals. We did not have a reliable and convenient system for managing our leave accrual or communicating with busy managers about PTO requests. Now, all of that information is at our fingertips, approvals are a breeze, and it's easier for managers to keep track of all of their direct reports' schedules. Namely also allows us to view our pay stubs and benefits information at any time, and complete our annual open enrollment, all within the software. I would highly recommend the service to any organization looking to improve its efficiency for HR processes.

Cons

At our company, employees accrue comp time for working weekend events throughout the year. Namely does not allow us to enter that comp time in a formal system that is tracked electronically. Instead, we keep track of it on our own, and when we enter PTO requests as "comp time for XYZ event", it is on the honor system. Not a huge complaint, but would be nice if we could track that piece of our PTO the same way we can vacation time, sick time, etc.

Christine
  • Industry: Publishing

Namely - Great for HR, Payroll, and Employees

Reviewed on 27/10/2016

We signed up for Namely in the Fall of 2014. We started with the HRIS and benefits for just flex spending. Being in HR, it was wonderful to be able to customize Namely's platform to include the data that we wanted to track and provide. For employees, it was a game changer because they now had access to information they had never had before (such as a clear salary and bonus history). In January 2015 we launched payroll with two of our smaller entities. Employees found Namely easy to log into and the paystubs were clear and easy to read. In the Fall of 2015 we added all of our benefits into Namely and did our full open enrollment. It was amazing for both employees and HR. HR loved that there was no paper to track and it was easy to see where everyone was in regard to the open enrollment process. Employees appreciated being able to log in from anywhere and how easy the system was to navigate. We also started using the Onboarding feature and it has saved employees and HR so much time. Now, employees are able to fill out all of their new hire and benefits information before their start date. We've seen the turnaround time decrease dramatically! All around, Namely has been extremely helpful for employees, HR, and payroll. And, if anyone asked, I would absolutely recommend Namely!

Pros

I love how customizable Namely is.

Cons

They haven't rolled it out yet but, I'm excited to be able to report on any and every field in Namely in one report and I'm hopeful that we'll be able to do document signing for current employees one day.

TC
  • Industry: Government Administration

Namely 2020 Review

Reviewed on 16/6/2020

It has been overall pretty smooth and very easy to use and track things.

It has been overall pretty smooth and very easy to use and track things.

Pros

We love the fact that it has the social media piece to it for internal posting of events and encouragement and recognition. The product is great due to the ability to utilize it via the app as well.

Cons

We would like to be able to upload videos. At times when updates are made, it changes things that give us a bit of a problem until we figure it out. With the benefits, it would be nice to be able to put in a beneficiary and not have to retype it over and over. We can use the dependent field, but then it looks like the person is a dependent instead of just a beneficiary

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you have enjoyed interacting with your employees on our platform. As for uploading videos and inputting beneficiaries, we will be be sure to relay your feedback to our Product team.

Kassidy

Transition from Zenefits to Namely, couldn't be happier!

Reviewed on 13/10/2016

We transferred HRIS from Zenefits to Namely and we couldn't be happier. From the beginning, the implementation managers were concise, responsive and thorough in setting expectations, providing a clear roadmap and answering all questions. Our Account Manager has exceeded all expectations with his detailed knowledge of all of Namely's products, acute attention to detail, responsiveness and awesome personality.

Namely's product fits our company of 84 (we were 54 when we made the transition). Their on-boarding feature is so customizable and user friendly, we were able to consolidate our on-boarding process and automate a lot of moving pieces. We have launched performance reviews and employee engagement surveys using the performance tools and are big fans of the process and capabilities. Namely's performance tool has the capability of pulling established goals into each performance review which makes it extremely easy to track performance and goal attainment.

The reporting feature is awesome because we can go in and run any type of report we need to where as in Zenefits, not all of the data was readily available to run a self report, it was funneled through the account manager.

We use a variety of Namely's products but we are most impressed with the level of communication Namely provides. From our Account Manager to Namely's Product team, the communication is constant. It is obvious the internal communication within Namely is very positive and fluent - our Account Manager asks for feedback on features and it is clear the feedback is relayed to the Product and Eng teams.

Overall, we made the right decision to transition and are extremely happy with this service/product.

Colleen
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Namely makes it easy for our people to do the right things and smile about it

Reviewed on 26/10/2016

We found Namely after scouring the market for a solution that was simple, connected, available 24/7, and offered one attractive place for us to do People work the way we want to do it. We found Namely and have been pleasantly surprised at every stage. First, we added the HR solution. We jumped at the chance to try the Onboarding and eSignature features. We have just decided to implement Payroll and Benefits.

We love the Namely team! They are by far the most responsive and helpful people we work with. The online HELP tool means we get answers quickly.

Features get updated regularly and Namely really listens to we users when we ask for new features / changes to the software.

I love Backstage Pass where I can connect with other Namely users and get tips.

We use Namely for so many thing that used to require separate and manual solutions (org charts, employee photos, performance reviews, multi-tiered goals, news feed, calendar, etc.).

There is a bit of a learning curve for employees who expect things to be complex and cumbersome based on past experience with ADP and other vendors. When they see how simple Namely is, they are shocked. It's fun to see their lightbulb moments and hear "that's all I had to do?".

;-)

Pros

One stop solution. Web-based. Simple and clean design.

Cons

Wish we had a little more control over naming some of the tabs and folders.

Shane

Namely: The light weight Champion in a heavy weight market

Reviewed on 31/10/2016

From the beginning, Namely has been fast, easy, yet very powerful. This platform looks and feels like social media sites, but in the background (or under the hood) is very powerful technology that allows both employers and employees simplify their work life. For the employer there are very powerful reporting and communication tools. The benefit management, on boarding, and performance reviews are a breeze. Throw in payroll and you have an unstoppable platform that knocks out the competition. The employee enjoys the ease of being up to date with company announcements. The calendar is excellent and allows managers to make sure coverage is where it is needed at the click of the mouse. Namely eliminates all the headaches of paperwork with their benefit management and benefit partners. Namely's customer service is light-years ahead of the competition. If you haven't done it yet DEMO Namely. Your life will be changed forever!

Pros

I love all the integration between their HR and Payroll platforms. Namely is truly a one stop shop when it comes to an all around HR/Payroll platform.

Cons

It's hard to say anything negative about the platform. It was up and running and ready to go from the start. The customer service has been excellent. There have been mostly positive experiences so far.

Lynn

Good product, horrendous implementation

Reviewed on 17/3/2018

Pros

*Great way to integrate an HRIS system and payroll on one platform.
*Simple and easy interface for users. Very similar to Facebook in design and functionality.
*Lots of great workflows to utilize to eliminate pen and paper documents.
*Namely did fully refund us our money after our implementation was handled very poorly.

Cons

Phew, my boss and I had problems with our Namely implementation from the beginning. It seems that the company was undergoing a lot of turnover and restructuring during our implementation, and we felt it. There would be weeks when we would hear no communication from our lead implementation specialist. My boss thought he had quit or had been let go and had to write a strongly worded email before we got a response back. Our Namely benefits specialist then made an error with an algorithm she was using to calculate benefits costs during our open enrollment in November. If hadn't caught the error, our company would have lost thousands of dollars. We have had numerous issues with payroll since open enrollment and have cycled through several specialists since. Last week, my boss and I decided we have had enough and are moving to another HRIS system.

Lisa
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Great for small companies

Reviewed on 20/8/2020

Overall, I like Namely. It makes processes easier and their customer service is fantastic.

Pros

The ease of use is what I love most about Namely. For the most part, it is very intuitive and user friendly. Being user friendly makes it easy for me as the admin but more importantly it makes it easy for my employees to navigate.

Cons

There is still a lot of room to grow. There are a several functions that I was used to on other (larger name brand) software that Namely doesn't have yet. A major one for me was not having pass enrollment. But they have since updated that and now offer a passive enrollment, which is a relief! I know they are working on a load of new functions and I look forward to seeing what they are.

Response from Namely

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate your feedback and look forward to continue enhancing our platform and your overall client experience.

Caleb

An HRIS that Everyone likes to Use

Reviewed on 11/4/2018

Overall, it's a great HRIS, and a great company. Namely is constantly updating the system and releasing new features. The support team is top notch and is always happy to help in anyway they can. Namely may be missing some features or some may need to be updated, but the interfaces and the support plus the fact that they are dedicated to releasing features that are requested really make it a top HRIS system.

Pros

Easy to use for Employees, Managers, and Admins. The interfaces are elegant, clean, and very intuitive. The ability to automate tasks or delegate tasks that used to be a burden has freed up time for Managers and HR admins. Having everything all in one creates an easy experience for our employees. The ability to use the Open API allowed us to automate our employee data flow out to different parts of the company and keep our systems all in sync.

Cons

Missing some features you might get from an older HRIS, Payroll, or Benefit system. While the time feature allows a lot of customization, it can be burdensome to use and navigate.

Trish

Reviewing Namely for HRIS, benefits admin & payroll processing

Reviewed on 30/11/2016

We love Namely for our HR, benefit and payroll administration. And our employees enjoy the social feed area as well. The site is flexible, easy to use and we get wonderful support from our Namely team!

Pros

I mostly love being able to have HR, benefits and payroll information all in one spot! Of course Namely is not the only program which can handle these processes, but I do find Namely very flexible and capable of handling all our needs.

Cons

We may be unique, but we do value anonymity in our review process. I do wish the review program settings could be set at the company level so that all managers could initiate the process in the same manner. without my needing to ensure it is handled in the same way each time. I've communicated our need and I'm sure Namely is assessing to see if this is something other companies could use as well.

Tiffany
Tiffany

Solid HRIS for small companies

Reviewed on 2/7/2019

In addition to the software, we use their brokerage and LOVE Namely Benefits. They've made the transition so much easier and are basically an extension of my one-person HR team.

Pros

Clean, easy-to-use interface. Payroll is easy and efficient. The set-up is easy for employees to use - I've never been asked where things are or for a password reset since starting with Namely. ;) Customizable. Continuously improving and working to support their clients (i.e., they actually listen to feedback!)

Cons

Re-hires are a little wonky. Reporting meets my needs, but similar to other features, Namely isn't as comprehensive as some of the old-time HRIS systems (like ADP). But there's so many benefits/pros, it's easy to overlook any challenges.

Amanda
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Great product with variable implementation and customer support

Reviewed on 7/12/2016

I work for a nonprofit organization with more than 60 employees in over 20 states (we're a remote workforce), and we began using Namely after leaving a different software in the summer of 2016. I struggled to decide between a three and four-star review. For now, I'm going with a three, but I reserve the right to revise upward or downward in future weeks and months.

Our sales and introductory phase with Namely was excellent. We learned a lot about the product and Namely's offerings, and, obviously, our organization was sold. As I've seen noted in some other reviews, there were problems with our implementation. Our payroll was set up incorrectly, even though Namely had payroll registers to model on, and that error resulted in the underpayment of taxes. To Namely's credit, they put a lot of work in to correct the issue and file amendments, but it was disappointing that poor implementation resulted in something like that. We've also had spotty responsiveness and support, but that has improved as the kinks have gotten worked out (which is somewhat backward to what you, as a customer, might want).

Outside of the implementation and responsiveness, we love the platform. I love that we have so much control over payroll (that wasn't the case with other software), and the HRIS side of things is much more sleek, streamlined, and easy to understand.

In summary, I would say our relationship and experience is improving over time, but there's still some damaged trust and suspiciousness after the rocky implementation.

Pros

Customizable; modern; streamlined

Cons

Ad hoc (sometimes it feels like new features or functionality is tacked on); inconsistent (sometimes, the product doesn't work as described)

A great product for the price.

Reviewed on 10/9/2018

To have a one-stop location for PTO, performance management, payroll, onboarding, birthdays and anniversaries, salaries, and reporting makes our lives much easier .

Pros

There are so many HRIS and payroll products on the market, that it was great to find one that did both really well several years ago. And there have been numerous improvements since-an onboarding feature, updated performance management, the API is more user friendly, and there are API connections with several other softwares we use.

Cons

There are some intuitive changes that are happening in the product, such as improving the the reporting functions, title changes, and salary increase sections.