NCR Counterpoint

Complete retail management solution

3.6 /5 (87 reviews) Write a Review!

Deanna S.

It has been a road

Reviewed on 24/3/2016

Pros

I purchased Counterpoint software in 2000. In 2006 I upgraded to SQL Counterpoint. I have a small Christmas store so keeping up with inventory is very important to me. I think it was in 2006 I open my web page with counterpoint called CPOline because the website and pos were interfaced so if I was out of stock in the store, I was out of stock on the web site. In August 2015 I started looking into the new website with counterpoint called NRO because it is mobile friendly were CPOline is not. Along with that I was looking at the new CC machine because of the chip cards. It was very costly to change CC machines with Counterpoint. So I started shopping around for a different POS system. I downloaded a demo, I was shown other demos online and you know what happened? I discovered that I had the best POS on the market. I already knew how to use it (didn't have to relearn a new POS system) and they are very expensive (mine was already paid for) I looked until February 2016. That is when the light went off and I started working on getting my new website up and going. And I went to Heartland Credit Card Company and have a machine out side of my POS so I can take the new chip credit cards. But I am using Secure Pay through Counterpoint for my website.

Cons

The thing that I like least about this is...it is hard for me to do updates myself. I like to be able to do all the things I need to do and this software is not real friendly that way. It is a big software and does lots of good things. Has tons of reports. I just found a new one the other days after working on it for 15 years. The other thing is you need to have a good partner that knows this software. I have had two real bad ones but I think I have finally found a good set of partners.

Kevin W.

Small Retail Operations

Reviewed on 9/2/2017

Our experience with NCR was great! Opening our first retail B&M was quite the challenge and NCR was able to help us with multiple tasks on one convenient platform. NCR featured all of the essentials. Time clock, multiple employee log-in, built-in CRM program, inventory management (I'll cover this more), and several other retail functionalities. We did not use many of the restaurant features as they were irrelevant to our operations. From memory, NCR Support was helpful and friendly, although the MAJOR issues we had took so long to fix, that we chose a different POS company in the long run.

Pros

Convenient UX, Desktop Retail Management, CRM, Time Clock with Reports, Inventory Management with 6 Week Moving Average and Several Reports, Quickbooks Online Integration

Cons

Overall untrustworthy Inventory Management! We had SEVERAL issues with NCR not recording a decrease in inventory after the sale. At the time, there was not a Purchase Order / Receiving framework. No transfers between multiple locations.

Charlie M.
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

NEW VERSES OLD

Reviewed on 6/11/2015

Pros

FAIRLY EASY TO LEARN IF YOU CAN GET THROUGH ALL THE SCREENS. THER ARE A LOT OF GOOD FEATURES, LOTS OF GOOD INFORMATION JUST NOT IN THE FORMAT YOU WANT SOMETIMES.

Cons

WHAT SHOULD BE ON ONE SCREEN IS BROKEN DOWN TO 4 OR 5 CAUSING LOTS OF LOST TIME. AND THE SCREENS DO NOT SHOW THE WHOLE LINES WITHOUT MOVING COLUMNS EACH TIME AND IT DOES NOT SHOW THE WHOLE DESCRIPTION OF PARTS UNLESS YOU GO ZOOM EVERY TIME. THERE SEEMS TO BE NO ONE TO LISTEN TO THE PROBLEMS SO THEY CAN BE CORRECTED ON UPDATES. WE USED THE OLD COUNTER POINT FOR 15 YEARS IT NEVER GAVE ANY PROBLEMS AND WAS VERY USER FRINDLY. THE OLD COUNTERPOINT WAS SO MUCH EASIER TO READ THE SCREEN IT HAD LARGE PRINT AND A GOOD CHOOSE OF BACK GROUND COLORS, EVEN THOUGH WE GET BIGGER SCREENS THE PRINT SEEMS TO GET SMALLER. WHY DO PROGRAMS ONLY USE A SMALL PART OF THE SCREEN THESE DAYS INSTEAD OF THE WHOLE SCREEN AND MAKE THE PRINT BIGGER.

John G.

Reviewed on 14/6/2011

We are a retail pet supply store on the island of Maui (Hawaii), in business for 38 years.
As our business grew and our database included 10,000 SKUs, the program we had been using became increasingly slow and problematic, actually causing many errors that tech support could not figure out. Our supplier (and tech support) were based in San Diego, a three hour time difference, another problem in itself. It became obvious that we need to research other companies and other POS systems.

We decided that the time had arrived to shop within our own state, and were fortunate to meet with Francis of Computant in Honolulu - different island, but same time zone- important for "across the sea" support.

Our first impression of the Counterpoint POS system was "VERY EXPENSIVE"! However, after spending time with Francis and his team and watching them demonstrate the features, we could see the incredible speed and flexibility, which were money-saving features to offset the initial cost. We were sold!

Francis, being the congenial, persuasive gentleman that he is, soon had us upgraded to all new equipment, including the Radiant Touchscreen registers. His installation team of three highly competent individuals flew to Maui on the day we went "live" for the installation and training. It turned out to be one of our busiest days of the year, which made it very hectic, and somewhat stressful, but his team was truly fantastic! We were up and running smoothly on day 1.

Our sales contract included a number of hours of tech support included, and we were taken care of immediately with any and every bump in the road. They continue to have superior customer support, at any time of the day.

Having been in business for 38 years, the complexities of inventory control only seem to increase, particularly when we are across the ocean from our suppliers (7- 20 days lead times). Customer buying trends change faster than ever as new products enter the market continuously, and customer relations became ever more important to cultivate. Counterpoint makes these much more manageable. Purchase orders and receiving are simplified. Our sales staff love the ease of touchscreen cash registers (originally intimidating).

The program seemed very complex, originally. After the initial learning curve one begins to better understand the "flow", and today I am amazed at the fact that we continuously find new ways to use the software to our advantage. We are able to modify the touchscreen buttons from the back office at any time, adding or deleting buttons as needed.

If time and information are money, this program is the way to go!

Rebecca G.

CounterPoint is one of the most functional POS software on the market

Reviewed on 20/1/2015

Pros

CounterPoint and RCS, to me, are like the cream and sugar in my coffee (and I've gotta have my coffee fix every day). I can't imagine CounterPoint without RCS! What is coffee without sugar? RCS is there for you every time you need them or just have a question!
I'm a systems administrator who has been effectively using CounterPoint SQL for more than 2 years now. CounterPoint is one lean, mean calculating machine; it has made a day and night difference in our daily business routines. With CounterPoint, we are so much more efficient and effective, 100% of the time.
RCS supports this product so well that they came out to our first Go Live store deployment to make sure we were ready and set to go. At the Go Live, we hit the ground running and haven't looked back. Counterpoint SQL with RCS leading the way has made all things possible, including making our working lives so much better! The reporting has saved store managers valuable time and freed them up to allow them do more in keeping the daily operations under control. Accounting knows what is going on at any given moment, and Retail management has seen such an overall improvement in the way our business runs and functions. They just keep expanding and using CounterPoint for more and more.

Cons

There isn't anything to not like about either RCS or CounterPoint.

Beth P.

Reviewed on 11/10/2012

First, an explanation on ratings. I would have given it five stars for Ease of Use, except that I am a new user and am still learning my way around the system. That said, it is easy to figure out how to do certain tasks, but when I can't figure it out, their customer support is top notch.

We are a small farm that produces approximately 1,300 gallons of maple syrup each year, and we raise alpacas for their fiber. Our farm store is stocked with maple syrup and maple goodies, plus an inventory of alpaca products, from yarn to apparel to accessories.

I went with CounterPoint, v8.4 because it is affiliated with NCR, a major corporation that has been around a long time. The implementation team at Radiant Systems was excellent. I had the system installed on my laptop, and so far it is working great. As a new user, I am still learning how to do certain tasks, and the project team has continued to hold my hand until I have mastered all the basics. We're almost there....

It is too early to tell how I have benefited from the system, but I am looking forward to comparing my holiday retail season to last year, when I had little time to enjoy the holidays and limited resources to control my inventory.

CounterPoint allows you to add on modules, such as integrated website management, gift card processing, scheduling and ticket sales, etc. RCS outsources these modules to other companies so they can focus directly on the point of sale functionality and improvements and assure that the modules work properly with CounterPoint.

Lastly, RCS invited me to their users conference, which I highly recommend to any user of this POS program. The informational sessions covered all kinds of topics to better use CounterPoint, and it included sessions on retailing strategies that I found very helpful. RCS is truly a class act.

Andy S.

Counterpoint is a Remarkable Product!

Reviewed on 29/6/2015

Pros

We have been using Counterpoint for 2 years now, our experience has been positive on all levels of our organization. Our accounting team, retail operations, and our Information Technology team have all had enormous successes with installation, training, reporting, etc. Bank card processing is secure, easy to implement and maintain. Cashiers catch on very quickly, customers love the ease of use.

Cons

Negatives are minimal, seems as if support sometimes is a bit slow in coming, some of the SQL database configurations pose a bit of a challenge, but overall satisfaction remains high.

Sean K.

Reviewed on 1/9/2011

My Company recently made the switch to CounterPoint Enterprise SQL 8.4 and would like to share my experience with Radiant Systems. We have been in business for over 50 years and have had several different POS systems and CounterPoint has been the best system by far. Implementing a new system is never easy but with the help of OneStep Retail Solutions this has been the easiest and the quickest implementation I have ever done.

There are so many POS systems on the market finding the best fit for your business is a very difficult decision. Kevin McAdams and Jay Shore with OneStep Retail Solutions took the time to learn our business needs and recommended CounterPoint as the best solution. After using the system for over a month now I am glad I took their advice because this is a great system.

The CounterPoint Gateway for processing credit cards is very fast. The touch screen terminals make ringing up customers quick and easy. The ability to customize searches and change the information displayed through the column designer makes looking up the information a breeze. The reporting is equally fast, flexible and easy to use for all of our staff members.

Blythe Franks, our business analyst from OneStep Retail Solutions has played a key role in making this transition from our old system to CounterPoint. Her experience and knowledge of the product has made implementation and integration of the system quick and easy. With her insight we were able to customize CounterPoint to meet all of our business needs making our company more efficient than ever.

Sean Kinney
IT Manager
Hi-Time Wine Cellars

Elie S.

Great experience

Reviewed on 5/7/2015

Pros

Centralized database is great experience for who own many businesses and access remotely is great feature for IT dep.

Cons

If the network is down, it is a pain to work with the software.

Kalah H.

NCR Silver Review

Reviewed on 9/12/2016

I like all the back office features of NCR, there's actually more features than we will use for our small tobacco shop, but I like that they are there if we ever decide to implement them. NCR offered to input all of our inventory for us, but we decided to do it ourselves so we could become more familiar with the software. At times I wished we had just had NCR input our inventory because it did take awhile, but I feel like I have a better handle on a lot of the features now.

The checkout process is simple, it's easy to look up an item without a barcode, and it's simple to apply discounts.

Abdullah E.

Amazing, just needs a tweak to be perfect

Reviewed on 9/11/2016

I love the inventory features, truly has a great interface thats almost as easy to use as an iPhone. I love the customer service features that help you remember your customers, market to them, and even get them some loyalty points. Adding and editing items and prices in your inventory are really easy to use and makes scanning and identifying simple. As for the value, I wish that it either had a lower price for the small or first time businesses or at least add extra free features to help them get off the ground.

Pros

The easy to use interface, simple as an iPhone.

Cons

Price.

Mary R.

Reviewed on 16/1/2013

Nona Ruth's is a new table top retail gift shop. As a part of our star up we were in the market for a user friendly, robust point of sales system that would free up as much time as possible for taking care of our customers while at the same time providing as much info as possible to help us manage and grow our business. Just as important was the support and backup available from the provider.

We spent considerable time and effort evaluating every provider we could scare up.
CounterPoint and their local representative, Image Business Systems, has more than met our needs. The software is well designed, the initial training and start up effective, and the ongoing support very responsive.

We whole heartedly endorse CounterPoint and if you are looking in the Birmingham area, suggest you save yourself time and effort and go directly to Image Business Systems.

Jackie J.

NCR software

Reviewed on 23/12/2014

Pros

I like their history and reliability. They are continually making updates and fixes.

Cons

Sometimes there are bugs, and incorporating the software internally can be challenging.

Ron P.

Reviewed on 5/6/2013

The product is OK at best. Their support is lacking and they will charge you for everything they can. Training is expensive, and unless you get Renee during your support calls, your probably won't get a resolution in a reasonable time frame. I use Counterpoint for a gun retail store in Daytona Beach FL "Volusia Top Gun". Please feel free to contact me regarding this system. I have had it with this system and their support. The Bound Book software they offer is even worse!

Gary G.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Software is useless if it can't get implemented

Reviewed on 6/11/2014

Pros

The best thing about our POS is Secure Access and being able to dial in from anywhere

Cons

There are too many to list. They were two months late on installation. It's been four months now, and all of the contracted features still aren't implemented.

Chance D.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

i thought that the system was very good when it was working properly.

Reviewed on 21/7/2015

Pros

Its very straight forward and nothing is hidden. I was able to pick up how to use everything on my first day.

Cons

It can be cery slow and laggy at times. Also it smetimes freezes.

Edward theodore T.

Reviewed on 31/7/2018

Shelton T.

Slow and Lackluster Software

Reviewed on 2/7/2015

Pros

Easy access to data stored in databases. Not much else.

Cons

It is very slow and doesn't intuitively go from area to area for typing, doesn't have an easy way to search custom things from previous tickets.

Mario F.

Competent POS software

Reviewed on 3/7/2015

Pros

Extensive tools and options for inventory tracking and management

Cons

The interface can be unintuitive and intimidating, especially to new users. It also seems to freeze a lot, but I don't know how much of that is the company's back end.

Britt S.

Reviewed on 7/7/2017

Stephanie D.

Product is great - customer service is AWFUL.

Reviewed on 16/6/2015

Pros

The software has great functionality there are a lot of bells and whistles if only you had documentation to see how it works. With no documentation you are forced to return to the re-seller time and time again for every single question.

Cons

The documentation is terrible. The user forum is truncated to one year of comments and not monitored by NCR, so there is no answer to requestions. You must go through your reseller for everything and without documentation that means you will be calling them a lot. This is the NCR model to drive consulting to their resellers.

For example, we installed version 8.5 on brand new hardware. It took 8 days to install the software on one brand new pc running windows 8.1 Pro. We watched our reseller install/uninstall/reinstall/uninstall again dot.net and other windows files on the pc. We watched them edit our hosts files time and time again. We paid for a hardware team to come in and look at our new hardware. Ultimately, we had to totally re-install windows on the machine to make it work after all of their playing.

And then the ISC250 device which will make you pin and chip compliant for October. Six weeks after purchase it is still not installed. There is no documentation and we are again at the mercy of our reseller who are researching the problem.

Donna T.

Product is fair ... but they will nickle and dime you to death ...

Reviewed on 16/7/2016

Pros

What I like best about Counterpoint is that it is a functional way to ring up sales and manage inventory.

Cons

Where do I begin? Well, when I first got this program in 2010, I paid an extraordinary amount for 40 hours of one-on-one phone/online training. When we hit 35 hours, I still did not know how to ring up a single sale! They were training me in the "details" of what Counterpoint could be programmed to do. I finally said, "Stop! I don't need to know any of this. Teach me how to enter inventory, create receivers and purchase orders, and how to ring up sales with discounts, etc." And, guess what, the guy teaching me know how to do any of that! It was so ridiculous. So I switched (they don't let you do this easily) from the company I purchased Counterpoint from to Rapid POS as my training company, and they were better. They, at least, knew how to operate the software!

Shelley W.

Reviewed on 11/1/2012

We are a retail garden center. We sell trees, shrubs, perennials, roses, birdseed feeders, grass seed, fertilizer, insecticide, fungicide, lawn and garden ornaments. We are open all year. It is a family owned and operated store in business for 109 years. We looked at software to run our inventory about 6 years ago. We settled on CounterPoint because of it ease of use and great function ability. Before CounterPoint we used a general cash register without UPC scanning capability.

One of the main reasons we like it is for the great support we get from Randall Data Systems, the company that implemented the system. We have a huge inventory so the implementation took a few months. Karen, from Randall stuck tight with us throughout the whole implementation, and is available for every question we may have even now. She really knows her stuff!

CounterPoint is very easy to use. I train new cashiers and they catch on quickly. Even the ones with no computer experience, although it does help if they have some. We are now able to see our inventory with the click of a button. We know when to reorder inventory and what we may have in back stock. We also now know the profit margin on everything we sell. We never knew this before.

I truly recommend this software to everyone.

Karen T.

Have been using Counterpoint since 2007

Reviewed on 3/7/2015

Pros

Very user friendly. Easy to train new users. Very customer friendly.

Cons

Would love to see some different formatting of reports and ease of creating reports.

Gary F.

Reviewed on 17/8/2011

We have been using CounterPoint software for over 10 years. The solution serves the retail environment well - it is easy to use and easy to teach new staff to use. Radiant has continued to develop it to meet the new world of Internet sales and marketing. I love the fact that our online store integrates into our retail database. As a result, we only have to worry about one set of data that updates to our website with two easy clicks.

I also have to say that customer service is very good. Our CounterPoint reps, Sandy and Kevin, are super. Sabrina helps us maintain, develop and keep up our website, and she is terrific. They are responsive and helpful, and really try to help us understand and solve problems. The online help portal is also good, and teaches as well as solves problems.

Overall, I would recommend CounterPoint to those who need a point of sale system, and/or Internet software that is very sophisticated in capability, but remains easy to use.