NCR Silver

3.4/5

Veeka

NCR Silver

Reviewed on 20/7/2018

Overall it has been a great experience - we went from writing paper slips for every transaction and entering each one manually into Quickbooks to just generating a couple of reports each day in the back office and entering those. It has been wonderful to have saved customer information in the system and not having to rewrite their address again. This is saving us a lot of time and our customers are impressed with our contemporary POS systems since we're a small family business and they don't expect us to be tech-savvy.

Pros

We like that the software is intuitive and has clean design. We like being able to arrange our products in categories ourselves, ability to sell items by singles or by weight, being able to track products sold etc.

Cons

We would like to have more control over receipt printing. Since we do a lot of deliveries, we would want to be able to set the font larger for the customer address and the quantity of the products, also being able to print double receipts right away would be great - one for the customer and one for the delivery driver (right now we have to look up the last transaction and reprint, which is at least 4 steps) We also would like to be able to access older transactions from the POS system - many of our customers want to look up what they ordered last season, or two seasons ago and to do that we have to go through a very long process in back office right now - it's requires going to "results", then "POS transactions" setting the dates manually (no easy option for 1 or multiple years), then searching for customer name, and clicking "line items" for each transaction we want to check. Aside from being a long process, I also don't find that the names for these actions fit how we think of them when we are looking them up. Also merging customer history would be nice - sometimes we accidentally create double or triple customer accounts and it would be nice to be able to combine them.

Gil
  • Industry: Restaurants

Good compromise between cost and functionality, and great customer service

Reviewed on 23/7/2018

This is a very affordable all-in-one system that lets us track sales, track employee hours and performance, and process credit cards. It does what it is supposed to do quite well. However, like any software, it takes some getting used to, and it is only after a few weeks that you really get comfortable with it. We live in an area where our internet keeps going down, and this system will continue to function even with the internet down. One important note for people in a similar situation is that you should not use the recommended configuration if your internet is shaky. (Their customer service helped us wit this.) They recommend a secure hard wire from the main printer to the internet modem. When the internet goes down, that interrupts communication back to the ipad, and the printer and cash drawer are not functional. Instead, as their person advised us, we use Bluetooth for that connection, and that way the iPad always is connected to the printer and the cash drawer. A minor hassle occurs sometimes when the internet goes down and devices pick up different floating IP addresses, in which case you have to delete existing connections and reconnect the new ones. I believe you can avoid this by using fixed IP addresses, but am not sure how to do that. These are pretty minor glitches once you get used to them.

Pros

POS software is something that you use in real time so it is essential that you be able to fix problems quickly. Their customer service is very good - they almost always pick up at once and they are always able to tell you what to do.

Cons

This is a multi-use system. As a restaurant, we had to get used to some features that are more for general retail, although it does contain things like table assignment and so forth.

molly
  • Industry: Restaurants

There are better products for the same money.

Reviewed on 8/7/2019

Overall my experience with this product has been terrible. The system needs some sort of fix almost everyday, which could take 5 minutes or 3 hours. The customer service tends to have long hold times, and they will run you thru hours of testing even if you have already tried everything - seems like they just don't care and when you are trying to run a business it is very frustrating. If you run a business that does a couple of transactions an hour you will be fine, but it you have, or hope to have any sort of volume I would look elsewhere. Also, their technology isn't up to date...be sure you ask every single question and review other products before settling with this one.

Pros

It runs on an iPad and is pretty simple to set up.

Cons

It's unreliable. Loses connection to it's hardware almost daily requiring a fix each time. The swipe hardware wares out very quickly.

Chris

More than a cash register!

Reviewed on 24/7/2018

Overall I've been very pleased. I think it's obvious that NCR has taken it's decades of experience working with registers and retailers, fulfilling their needs, and applied it to the Silver app. It isn't the cheapest option on the market but it's way more reliable than any windows PC based POS. I'm not worried about viruses and windows errors or even brief power outages disrupting my business. If I have a wifi connection, I'm in business.

Pros

The back office, inventory management, and customer tracking is terrific. Any system can fulfill the basic need of helping you ring up a sale, but Silver offers features that I didn't know I needed until I had them. Computing sales tax for state filing, locating past customer purchases, super useful features.

Cons

I'd like to be able to add devices without additional fees. I guess I don't understand why having a second device changes anything with regard to the costs incurred. I had a copy of the app on my phone purely as a backup in case something happened to my tablet but realized it was costing me every month for something that I wasn't using.
When wifi is having problems, I wish there would be a way to cache those transactions offline for processing when wifi is connected again. As it stands, I end up using the old carbon copy forms to take and impression and running the transaction later.

Lori

NCR Silver for Small Business

Reviewed on 18/5/2021

The up-time and use of the software is good. Easy to get started with new team members. Back-end functionality needs work. Overall it doesn't cause us too many headaches, so more positive than negative.

Pros

The POS portion of NCR Silver is very easy to use. New team members are easily able to understand the categories and screens. Takes advantage of common iPad functionality. Easy to update products and prices. Friendly interface.

Cons

The back-end functionality of NCR Silver is lacking. Inventory management is slow and cumbersome. Email templates and functionality are outdated. Lack of social media integration and easy ecommerce integration in emails.

Todd

Great user friendly software

Reviewed on 24/7/2018

Overall NCR has been great for our business. As I mentioned above there are just a few things I wish could be added and or corrected.

Pros

Ease of use. Programming is simple with back office. POS is very user friendly.

Cons

Certain features need to be added to accommodate other businesses like salons. Tip feature needs to allow you to code the tip to specific employees for one example.
Needs feature to not allow cashiers to look in recall history at other employees tips. This has been an issue for us.
Would be nice if under customer info you can add multiple contact numbers like cell and home.
We are in the pet industry and it would also be nice to have a customizable customer tab, so we can add pet name and breed or pets DOB etc. under customer tab.
Certain glitches I reported keep repeating. Tech support needs better resolution and faster respond time.

Steve

Pros and cons about NCR Silver

Reviewed on 9/7/2019

Overall a very good system, as an owner of the business it has made life easier

Pros

Easily programmable, I have a restaurant and getting the program running and keeping it up to date is very easy.
Time clock feature is easy for payroll. Having a report for payroll is very important for accounting.
The ability to go into back room and change item prices on the fly or add new specials instantly

Cons

The only problem I’ve had is the time frame for employees to either ring in a customer or the logging out for employees so they don’t overlap each other. The time it takes to log in with machine number and then employee number when it’s very busy takes those extra seconds that customers always notice.

Jeannette

It's okay

Reviewed on 24/6/2019

Staff is very friendly and as helpful as they an be but limitations to what they an handle before handing the issue off to another department can be an issue with proper completion. Follow through can be lacking, slow or non existent. Also ridiculous refusal of refund if return is received outside of 30 days. If you receive it on 60 days, you still have it. Still same peice of equipment. A policy to scam your customers.

Pros

Pretty simple, direct on functionality

Cons

Some limitations in reporting and the type of visibility to historical data

Jerald

NCR Silver for a Retail Business

Reviewed on 24/6/2019

None

Pros

I like some of the reports but it is lacking in the ability to function for Retail

Cons

The functionality for a Retail business The software is developed with the food service industry as the target. I am looking at my options to engage different software.

Alfred
  • Industry: Entertainment

Over Promise and under deliver

Reviewed on 18/8/2018

Concierge service is highly touted but the Implementation process is poorly planned and communicated to the merchant. So it is a high risk process that demand a lot from the merchant to implement successfully. Having an experienced re-seller to support the delivery, set up and go live is critical.
Even after raising the

Pros

Good Basic dashboards and reports
Remote Access to data and menus is a great feature
Ability to download POS transactions to Excel is great for analysis (some fields missing from downloads)

Cons

Non- EMV compliant CC processing
Does not Calculate Overtime
non existent transaction audit tools to trace when items were rung up or voided to help prevent fraudulent voids.
Does not have any inventory control capability to track usage and on hand
Limited Reporting capability, no add-hock reporting An Excel savvy person can make good use of downloads and Power Pivot to do own analysis and reports
Re sellers over sell POS system with out the proper disclosure of Functionality, Pricing, Required specifications or implementation and after sales support.

Chad

Mad Mexican loves NCR

Reviewed on 17/6/2019

Easy to work with thru problems.

Pros

Easy to install, update and use. They answer all calls promptly and fix any issues that might occur quickly!’

Cons

No issues , we are pleased with the system and products.

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to NCR Silver

Customer service
Terri

Great product Horrible customer sevice

Reviewed on 1/8/2018

I like the product however anytime I have an issue i can get zero help i have been waiting on a supervisor call back for literally 2 motnhes every time i call i am told I need a supervisor and then I am told they will call me back and I STILL hve not got a call back and my systems are DOWN! Its INSANE!

Also with regular tech support I am constantly training NCR employees because they dont know enough about the systems to help me!

Pros

It is easy to learn to use and has all the features you need to run your business

Cons

Customer service is horrible. You cant get help and support knows very litle about the product it is like they have never even touch it and are just reading out of a manual

Elise

NCR Silver Review

Reviewed on 17/6/2019

Pros

What I like most about this software is the fact that it met all our needs for our small business. We offer a large number of products and the software is able to accommodate the number of products and gives us the capability of customizing our sales with discounts and other promotions. Customer service is prompt and accurate.

Cons

Inputting the large number of items and all the variables can be time consuming.

Theresa

NCR Silver is Awesome!

Reviewed on 26/7/2018

Pros

The ease of use for employees is what I like best. It is easy to teach new employees to use this system and they all seem to learn it quickly which makes training them so much easier. The back office portion is easy to navigate and run reports. My inventory is always accurate due to this system.

Cons

I wish the software had more options for management on the POS screen versus always having to go to the back office part.

CJ

System Hasn't Evolved In Several Years

Reviewed on 19/7/2018

Customer service has gotten worse over the last few years and most reps really don't have solutions to anything that isn't basic.

Pros

Very intuitive to use and everything is cloud based.

Cons

The overall system hasn't evolved in 2+ years since we started using it. It's not compatible with Shopify nor is it friendly to any outside developers. There is not a transfer function between stores and the overall reporting is just basic.

Roger

Reports

Reviewed on 19/7/2018

Pros

Straight forward use. Reliable log in...

Cons

We still have difficult time changing prices, etc in bulk. Since it takes too long to reflash when changing prices individually, we would've like to have the excel upload changes.. I know the feature is there but it seems like it only works some times....

Need better more detailed sales/inventory-performance reports.

Nick

NCR Silver Review

Reviewed on 19/7/2018

We had a terrible experience setting up the system. It’s over the phone instead of having someone come out to use to help set it up. Since we’ve had it up and running I have been pleased with what the system can do

Pros

It’s very user friendly, iPads are portable, easy to categorize items, ease of customer payment.

Cons

Customer database. It isn’t easy to send emails to customers with the marketing tool. There is no course break. When I enter multiple courses the system does not have a button for a line break. For example if there is a soup on course one and a soup for course two the soups show up as two soups for the same course. Sometimes the system has a delay with payment and when the ticket is entered.

Veronica

Buyer Beware

Reviewed on 17/6/2019

Pros

ease of learning the product, which is good because there is no real good instructions and the tech support can't seem to point you in the right direction. The internet search is you best bet and even then you don't get the real technical side, just how to use the features.

Cons

Unstable, we had so many issues with the product going down at least every other week and the support is so difficult that it literally would take hours to get it back up. One time it took 2 weeks due to the errors from technical support. You ask them a simple question and they put you on hold for 20 min. to get the answer.

Kirby
  • Industry: Restaurants

Works well for most needs

Reviewed on 20/7/2018

Pros

The software is fairly easy to setup. It uses iPads so you are not locked in to proprietary and expensive point of sale terminals.

Cons

The reporting and export functions leave a lot to be desired. All the basics are there, but there is no mid to advanced report sorting, filtering, custom querying, etc.

Belinda

Pain Relief Natural Remedies

Reviewed on 18/7/2019

I love NCR, I wish that the cost per month was a little less.

Pros

This software is easy to use and understand. This software is easy when it comes to training my team members. You can actually walk yourself through the steps and not get frustrated.

Cons

This software does not allow me to see what products I have on hand after selling. Having this feature will save me a lot of time.

Jenny

Could be better

Reviewed on 19/7/2018

I feel Silver could be better there’s a lot of other POS systems out there that have more restaurant functionality.

Pros

User friendly easy to train new employees to use.

Cons

When it works it’s fine, but that’s when it works only. My card reader majority of the time doesn’t work and they’re brand new.

Jeremy

Reviewed on 18/6/2019

It’s beem a good system overall

Pros

Easy to use interface, ability to access back office anywhere

Cons

A little slow, monthly price increase with no value added

Philip

P&D Burgers dba Waybackburgers review

Reviewed on 18/6/2019

It has been satisfactory as it continues to evolve.

Pros

Updates, able to be trouble-shooted fairly easily.

Cons

Sometimes issues need escalated; also would like to see delivery companies integrated into system-POS vs several tablets.

Megan
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

NCR Works Great for Museum Admission

Reviewed on 23/7/2018

Overall, it was very easy to get started with NCR and it's always been easy to get help when I need it. Usually, the help section of the back office answers my questions for me.

Pros

NCR is very easy to use, both at the iPad and in the back office on the computer.

Cons

Because it's geared towards shops and cafes, sometimes it doesn't do or have exactly the feature I want, but it's pretty easy to figure out how to make it work.

Michael

Customer Service

Reviewed on 19/7/2018

Product is Ok. Sometimes takes hours to get someone on the phone to resolve an issue

Pros

The system is pretty east to use. I figured it out by myself with little help from NCR.

Cons

The overall experience with customer service is the problem. We actually switched and we are still paying for our NCR program. It is solely because of the service. I guess you guys would rather have reviews like this than to make it right. When it comes to a point that a small business like ours would rather pay and not use your product I think it is time to look at yourselves.