Clover

Comprehensive point of sale & business management solution

4 /5 (300 reviews) Write a Review!

4 /5
Brianna C.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

If you're considering using Clover...answer: YES

Reviewed on 28/8/2020

Overall experience is fabulous! We LOVE Clover. Inputting new items is much easier with the handheld Flex, ringing purchases is easier, contactless payment is nice, the option to text/email receipt is great (it doesn't auto-print receipts which saves paper. We seriously love this equipment.

Pros

The product is easy to use; the android platform is brilliant and was easy to operate. The features are self-explanatory; it was clear how to use many of the features such as splitting transactions by payment or by items.
My favorite part is the reporting; the item sales report is easy to generate and organize by label (which is very useful). It tracks cost as well and at the top of the report it gives an overview of net profit, COGS, and gross profit-very nice.
I also love how easy it is to look up past orders/transactions; the barcode lookup functionality to pull up past orders is so convenient. This is especially helpful for assisting customers with returns.
The migration from our old POS system to Clover was not too bad; we had to input every item by hand, but the handheld Flex machines made this easier.
We are also looking into using one of the apps to integrate online ordering for curbside pick up and delivery. The apps, such as Menufy, use our Clover inventory so the reporting will sync-no double entry!

Cons

There are some features of the software that could be better: We would like a field in the inventory where we can enter the item's brand. The Inventory Audit could be a little easier to use; it would be nice if it showed a running log of items counted (on different devices by different employees) and allowed us to combine those entries into 1 large batch before a final submission.
When applying discounts, it would be more convenient if we could apply a discount to the whole order and then select specific items to remove that discount from them (this is helpful when a customer is purchasing 15-20 items and 1 item cannot have a discount applied to it. With the current way it is programed, in this case we would have to select each item that gets the discount leaving out the 1, or do 2 separate transactions. Would be much easier to apply to all but have the ability to take away.)
The hardware can be a little finicky; the fingerprint scanner for logging into the machine has not been working, however this is not super important because we can log in with a code as well.
We have also been having some issues with duplicate payments; solution pending.

Michelle M.

Clover is the lead merchant in 2021

Reviewed on 22/4/2021

I have had an incredibly positive experience with Clover. I have even called their support system before and the representatives were friendly and efficient. I spoke to a live representative rather quickly who was informed and able to help me. I would give this product a 10/10 easily.

Pros

I love the tap feature. During covid, our dental office has tried to take every precaution to limit the spread of covid-19. Clover has a tap feature so that our staff does not have to handle patient's credit cards which limits exposure. Many major debit and credit cards have this feature and users just do not know! Look for the symbol that has 4 lines on your card and try it sometime! It is very fast and effective! We are also able to email or text a receipt (in addition to printing) so that there is less "touching" and passing involved.

Cons

There is truly nothing that I dislike about this software. If I was forced to answer this question, maybe I could say that the swipe option sometimes needs to be run more than once because it does not read the swipe on the first try; however, 99% of cards use the chip insertion feature anyway!

Daria K.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

It’s my favorite little machine

Reviewed on 7/3/2019

I used to have the station one and the battery on it died so quickly and even if it had 75% it would shut down and take 2 hours to restart. Clover = losing sales for me.
Then I got the flex one and it’s amazing. So tiny and powerful. Beautiful easy experience.

Pros

I love and and so as my customers.
It’s fun and functional. It accepts Apple Pay, and tells you the reason why cards decline, it give you options to view past sales, transactions, reports, refunds, etc.

Cons

The option that I would add is a search for a last 4 digits. Sometimes I have to look up a customer and have to scroll and scroll and scroll to find him.
Another issue is with their station models as they need maintenance - your battery will drain and you will lose internet connection.

Carol B.

Clover not a choice for retail, very misrepresented and pricey

Reviewed on 22/9/2016

Pros

There is absolutely nothing that I like about this product except maybe the appearance and not too bad adding in stock that is already in the system.

Cons

This is marketed as a state of the art POS system with added capabilities through apps. However the base system is so limited that i would not even consider it a POS system, but more of an expensive payment processor. I had researched retail systems and most have lots of features and capabilities such as accepting unlimited bar codes, include a wide variety of detailed reports, inventory management including tracking of stock, re-orders, keeping track of back orders, client records, all kinds of very basic needs to a retail store. When the bank presented this system, I asked very specifically about its capabilities and gave very clear information on what I needed in a system. The rep assured me that it not only did all of the basics that I needed, but it also had apps that were available for customizing and expanding , such as going into also having an online sales presence. So, I feel it was either deliberately misrepresented or the rep is not trained at all on what the system offers and did not feel it important enough to get valid answers. The basic system does not even include basic necessary functions for retail. 1) it has a 15,000 bar code limit, plus other limits for categories and modifiers. - Their solution is for you to create new bar codes per item and just use the modifiers and what not to make up for it - however the modifiers and such also have limits. 2) it does not allow more than one wholesale cost per bar code. So if you obtain stock at differing prices due to seasons, volume, clearance, or price increases - the new prices over writes the original price put in. There is no way to have different cost for the same item. So again their suggestion is creating new bar codes for new pricing or to have a separate system for tracking cost of goods. 3) The reports are nominal. They look like ticker tape reports. No report gives information usable for a purchase order. I made the categories my suppliers so I could easily use the category report to reorder sold products, but the product and bar codes are not part of the report, so the only indicator of which item it is is the description and price. There are also few types of reports available compared to other systems I had looked at. 4) There is no purchase order capability in the base system, so also no way to track orders, back orders or way to easily know what to even order from sales or stock quantities. 5) I have had multiple times where items are put into inventory only to have them not show up when scanned at the register. Part of the time, I will go into the inventory app later and find the item with all of the necessary info there, but for some reason it is not getting picked up by the register app. Other times it isn't there and even after going back and re-entering again, I still have same problem, so I have resorted to running these items as a customer item which has further screwed up the accuracy of my inventory. 6) Due to various glitches (items not showing up in or possibly not even being subtracted properly from inventory) my inventory is nowhere close to accurate and at some point will have to be fixed. 7) To order or check inventory has to be done almost exclusively by physically going through my store to see what truly is in the store and what is needed and then typing up an order or report from that. 8) new inventory is all added manually rather than the scanner adding into the inventory app. So if you have two on the shelf, but two more you add it to make now 4. There is nothing that shows you who or what manually added or subtracted from the inventory app or when. You can assign specific access to specific functions, but I have found no oversight at all, there is no way to see what they are actually doing besides their name by the transaction they oversaw at the register. This is only the beginning of what this system lacks. 9) The only way to make up for these shortfalls is through the app store (which they had told me was for customizing, expansive needs - not basic functions). I still have yet to see anything that really covers everything this system lacks and each app costs monthly and I could easily be spending somewhere between $99 and $250/ month on an app - and its a thrid party app, that though approved, is not guaranteed, and then it is more customer service reps to deal with. I have been unable to get any decent or helpful responses from customer service reps just with the system itself - can't imagine what it would be like with glitches between apps and the system.On top of all of what the system does not do, I got mine though a lease which is way more expensive then it was presented to be, and the lease is "iron clad, unbreakable" with no guarantee the system works for my situation. I have taken it to corporate level and the best I have gotten so far is an apology that I have been inconvenienced but still denying me the ability to get out of the lease. This is so non-functional for a dance store with lots of shoes, that I will have to get another system while paying for this one while I fight to get it resolved. The only reason I leased this system was the answers given to me bto very thorough questions and it was 100% misrepresented. I hate dealing with tech anything by phone and it looked like a simple solution - on the ground set up and my bank, merchant services, POS all basically through the same place. What a disaster it has been. Has made everything more time consuming then if I had just had a basic old fashioned register and done books handwritten and not had to spend so much. The purpose of the point of sale system was to simplify book keeping and have all of the inventory, purchase orders, client info, etc. all in one system. This does absolutely nothing well except possibly process the payments - at what is seeming like pretty high fees.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Clover, simple to use and manage

Reviewed on 9/4/2018

Pros

Clover is simple to manage, from adding new products to new users, the process is simple and straightforward. The user interface is clear and well formatted, Clover is a very professional looking product. Clover can provide us with reporting data, as a business this is ideal. As an administrator of the system, the home page allows me to access everything easily. From reporting and employees as mentioned earlier, to transactions, everything is easy to manage. Moving on from the software. The Clover hardware is of the highlight quality, from the Clover mini to the printers.

Cons

As far as I'm aware, in the Employee setup once an employee has been created, the full name cannot be altered, only the nickname. It would be nice to update employees names.

Anang M.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Good for basic needs

Reviewed on 13/9/2019

It met our needs when we opened our business but quickly realized that trying to enhance the basic solution with kds, online delivery and ordering would be up to me to figure out.

Pros

Very easy to install and set up and creating the menu was simple but simple comes with basic functionality

Cons

Terrible customer support and hard to find anyone willing to help integrate ecosystem partners with our basic clover pos

Christine W.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Easy to use with a lot of features

Reviewed on 17/6/2020

Clover is very easy to use and my staff enjoys using it.

Pros

The clover payment devices are touchscreen and very easy for our patients to use. You can accept a wide variety of payments including cash, credit, check, and apple pay. We use the clover mini as well as the clover flex.

Cons

Clover does not have a built-in recurring payment function that I am aware of. You need to add and app that comes with additional fees.

Tara D.
  • Industry: Automotive

Easy to use!

Reviewed on 10/4/2019

First Data - the company that runs our clover has not been so great as far as customer service. We have had some issues. Their website is also very hard to log into and navigate. As far as our clover mini, the equipment has been great.

Pros

Easy to use, different features within the clover, and comes with the chip! Connects to right to bank account.

Cons

We have had customer service issues with First Data, the company that runs the clover. They could improve on this aspect. The First Data website is also awful.

John P.
  • Industry: Automotive

WORKS GREAT FOR US AND THE CUSTOMER BOTH

Reviewed on 11/10/2018

Using the Clover terminal has been very benifical for our business, allowing us to easilly help customers as well as tracking who is doing what, at the same time building a database of clients for future use.

Pros

One of my favorite things about using Clover is the easy learning curve and intuitive gui. Being so easy to navigate makes helping customers very easy and transparent for the customer.

Cons

While this feature may be available on another model of their console, it would be nice if there was a fingerprint reader to unlock the terminal as we have multiple users who operate with two units. A fingerprint scanner would make it very quick and easy to change between users.

Shannon R.
  • Industry: Veterinary

Great for business

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

I'm overall very happy! When I have had questions, customer service has been super helpful with giving me step by step instructions that are easy to understand.

Pros

It is very user friendly. I love that I can take the hand held device into the exam room to check clients out.

Cons

It is not the easiest if you have to refund a client. You need to have the credit card on hand from them.

Luke P.

Secure

Reviewed on 19/8/2020

The product has been a good software for our company to increase our security.

Pros

We switched to clover because our bank recommended it for keeping our point of sale credit card transactions secure. We have been very happy with them

Cons

We have had no problems with security in our point of sale credit card transactions. We have been very happy with this software

Christina M.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great POS System for Medical Office!

Reviewed on 2/5/2019

Pros

Great little POS System. We use the Clover Flex and I would give it 10 stars for ease of use. I also love the reporting feature, so that at the end of our weeks we have a very clear report of all transactions made. I also love that it has the option to email or text the receipt to the customer, saving on wasted receipt paper.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that is it sometimes cumbersome to load the receipt paper. Other than that this is a great product for a small business.

Wonderful POS System That Customers Love

Reviewed on 19/3/2018

Pros

Clover is a game-changing POS system for so many small businesses. It makes it super easy for my restaurant staff and customers. We love the system because of all the features and applications. It easily integrates with our loyalty rewards system, inventory system, and gift card system. Another great feature by clover is the tipping process. It makes a customer think about tipping in a different way than traditional non-digital systems.

Cons

The maintenance and upkeep of the system are tough as you must continually clean the screens. Also, the systems sometimes freeze on a transaction and require a complete reboot. Overall the benefits outweigh the issues.

So much easier than any other merchant Credit card machines

Reviewed on 24/6/2020

Pros

The all in one devices are easy to use. Especially the wifi hand helds make doing business much more efficient.

Cons

I bought a few extra devices when business was strong, but now that business is slow, I wanted to sell a few of the units. Turns out, you cannot transfer devices. I lost money that I invested.

Mark C.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

We love our Clover!

Reviewed on 24/6/2019

Our Clover system is the perfect point of sale solution. The few times we have had problems customer service handled the problem quickly.

Pros

It is practically intuitive for our sales staff to use it; their is little to no training needed.

Cons

There is nothing about using this software we don't like!

Matt O.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reporting inconsistent, support is minimal, labor scheduling is good.

Reviewed on 12/5/2016

Pros

Homebase app is excellent for labor scheduling. Homebase allows us to add new employees, build their roles and add availability for each employee. Then when our schedule is completed, we can text out each employees individual schedules to their cell phones.

Cons

Downtime is frequent, support is minimal, reporting is inconsistent. Clover is a young and sleek POS, but their hardware is run on wifi and can continuously crash or fail to process tickets from the tablets. I understand that turning tables is faster in theory with electronic cloud based technology, but when a server must stand in front of a table and have difficulty modifying the order because of so many screens to touch through and new screens to load (and buffering is an issue at times), the 'speed' is lost. In addition to hardware issues (printer dying in the middle of dinner rush), the reporting is confusing and not helpful. Where is the daily sales summary? We pay our servers' credit card tips out through net cash sales and there is no way to track this in Clover. We use QuickBooks Online for accounting, and to "reduce data entry" QuickBooks works with Clover through a third party app called CommerceSync, another inconsistent tool. All in all, if you have a problem with anything listed above, and you call for support, you will be greeted with suggestions of other third party apps to buy to fix the problems.. these are not solutions, they are just ways for Clover to make more money.

Tara D.
  • Industry: Wireless

Phone Repair Store's review of Clover

Reviewed on 22/6/2016

Pros

I like the way the Clover looks. Very sleek and modern. I am most impressed with the reporting features.

Cons

The Clover system just is not suited very well for a repair shop environment. Our employees found the easiest way to ring up customers was to create custom transactions and type in a description for each transaction.

I was very disappointed that the Clover is not able to play video. We had several promotional videos we would like to play for our customers, but were unable to do so on the Clover system. I hoped there would be an app that would play video.

I was also disappointed in the high price of the Quickbooks sync app. For this reason, I have to manually input everything into Quickbooks.

Chanelle P.

Happy for many years

Reviewed on 24/1/2019

Pros

I’ve been using Clover POS since I started my business a little over 2 years ago. 2 years later, I’m still super happy!

Cons

Manual card entry requires a signature. I’d Iike to be able to take payments over the phone without a signature and haven’t found a way to do that.

Chris M.

Credit, Debit, and Cash Payments Made Easy

Reviewed on 6/12/2019

Overall it is a great system for a small business and is incredibly simple to use. I personally haven't dealt with their customer service but the owner of the CPR training site said they were great and helpful!

Pros

It doesn't take much training at all to get very familiar with this system. We use it our CPR Training Site and it allows to accept and track payments with ease. We can even print out payment reports with customized timelines and specific details needed. It is incredibly user-friendly and the majority of our customers have no difficulty paying with it. The touchscreens are very responsive and hardly ever misinterpret input.

Cons

The physical design is a little lacking in my opinion. We currently use the "mini and it looks more bulky than mini. Every now and then the receipts will not feed correctly which causes a crease and can plug up the printer (that's an easy fix though).

Kenndra G.

Simple

Reviewed on 14/12/2019

It's a great pos system. I like that is easy to use and add details.

Pros

It is very easy to adjust your prices and add menu items. The orders store and you can put customer names in. Adjusting tips is easy as well. I also live the fingerprint login.

Cons

I have had problems with the screen when cleaning it even with locked. I believe it's best to turn it off to clean.

Riina R.

Beats a Register Any Day

Reviewed on 25/5/2019

Pros

I love how fast this software is, and that it's not hooked up to a phone jack. It makes processing payments easier and faster.

Cons

I do with refunds were easier to perform.

Kathy N.

Best POS we've ever bought

Reviewed on 6/9/2016

Pros

Product set-up was a breeze. We took our inventory from old POS, put on flash drive and installed it right into out new Clover. Adding new products to inventory is simple. My staff needed minimal training. They're all thrilled with this new POS.
Fastest check out in all the years we've been using POS in our four stores. It takes up minimal counter space, so there's more room for impulse sales. It's very attractive on your counter.
Employees clock in and out on clover.
As the owner of the company, I can sign in remotely and see our sales in real time without disturbing my staff with phine calls.
Clover tracks inventory and gives many customizable reports.

Cons

I don't think there's anything we don't like about this machine.

Robert M.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Clover pos for a small cafe/coffee shop

Reviewed on 10/8/2017

Overall it is a decent simple pos for a small start up business

Pros

Some of the pros for the clover pos are the Ease of use the cost and the simplicity of loading menus and pricing in the system

Cons

Some of the cons to the clover pos are the lack of Customer support the fact that the glover go doesn't communicate properly with the mini device

Katricia K.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Stay Away from Clover

Reviewed on 5/2/2019

Not happy with this software at all, I would never use them again. Once my lease is up with them I'm done.

Pros

The only good thing about this software is that it has a lot of nice features and mobile options. You can have a register for a brick and mortar or you can get a mobile device to take for special events and pop up shops.

Cons

There equipment is overpriced and they lock you into a lease so tight it's not funny! Customer service is poor, lot's of hidden fees are being charged and it's very hard to get someone on the phone to speak too.

Michael P.

Clover is easy to use

Reviewed on 1/7/2019

Pros

The software is easy to use and easy to configure.

Cons

It needs to improve its inventory management module