CrashPlan

Easy, automatic cloud business backup

4.4/5
4.4/5
4.5/5
4.5/5

229 Software options

Ray A.

I relied on Crashplan for document backup while completing my PhD abroad.

Reviewed on 15/12/2017

Outstanding performance over the 3 year period that I used it. Once my data was uploaded (it took nearly a year), I was assured that my PhD research was safe.

I stopped using it because the internet in China was simply too restricted and curtailed to make it useful.

Pros

It runs continuously in the background to ensure that the files selected are backed up.
The Crashplan client automatically backs up to ensure that customers are using the very latest client and are not in danger of security leaks.

The Crashplan client is cross-platform and will run on Linux and Mac

Cons

Code42 appears to have removed their plan for standard household users and now only has plans for small and large businesses. Unfortunate for the average household computer user.

When I used Crashplan for backup in Beijing, China, the upload speeds were horrendously slow. I assume this was not the fault of Crashplan, but the result of serious Internet throttling by the internet provider or by state security apparatus in China where all connections to the outside world are severely curtailed. Backing up 200gb of data took nearly half a year. But my experience was likely unusual.

Based on other user reports of Crashplan, the upload and download speeds are quite good.

Liz W.

Crashplan, The Most Affordable Backup Solution

Reviewed on 6/2/2019

Overall, Crashplan has been a wonderful solution to my need for affordable cloud backups. My photography business would not continue to operate if I couldn't safely save all my work. I've had past wedding clients return five years later asking for a copy of their lost wedding photos; Crashplan will continue to enable me to ensure that I will always have an off-site copy of my work at a really affordable price.

Pros

As a professional freelance photographer, I have to backup huge amounts of data to keep my business safe. After much research, and one bad experience with a different cloud solution company, I found Crashplan (Code42) to be the most affordable system that still allows unlimited backups. They are priced extremely competitively without compromising quality.

Cons

Crashplan used to have a mobile app that allowed users to access all their backed-up files from their phones. They recently discontinued this app. I can hardly believe the company would take such a step backwards. I used the app on a regular basis to refer to documents or images that I needed to access while I was away from my computer. This convenience was one of my biggest draws to Crashplan initially; I wish they would bring back the app.

Christopher D.

Great Software for Business, Slow Support, Frustraing Configurations for NAS

Reviewed on 1/4/2019

I used this service for several years with multiple PC's before the swapped to the per-device cost. It was an easy set-it-and-forget-it setup and making sure that all files were backed up. Upload speeds could be hit and miss depending on the server or time of day.

Pros

Once configured, the software is easy to maintain, do backups, and encrypt data.
GUI interface is simple to use and makes restores much less painful
Support can be helpful via e-mail, phone not so much.

Cons

Cost of the software seems to creep up every year, and recently have switched to a per-device cost which makes indivudal backups more expensive.
Headless support is almost non-existant and a pain to set up
QNAP NAS requires a community written docker container to be able to manage as a cloud backup
Phone support is painfully slow to answer questions and immediately requests RDP.

Aviram G.
  • Industry: Entertainment

An Effective way to backup your Data on the Cloud and your local network

Reviewed on 7/1/2020

Overall Crashplan feels very solid and professional way to protect your data

Pros

I used Crashplan for almost 2 years, as a client to backup all my clients data on local servers. the menus are simple and yet complex and when the time comes and you need to recover your data the process is very simple and quite fast (depends of course what size of backup data files you have)

Cons

Does a lot of problems with Very old OS (windows XP for example) sadly as a company that have some very old software that don't work well on win7 and above the Crashplan didn't work good on them.

the Price is little bit high compare to other products in the market

Backblaze

Reasons for Switching to CrashPlan

Recommended by a colleague
Heather W.

Good Program

Reviewed on 28/9/2019

Overall, the potential for the program, and the idea seems great. But unless you have a huge bandwidth or pay for extra it's difficult to use for a some business owner like myself.

I flet secure in that my life were kept safe, in an online, web based program, however I could never use it to it's full potential because it took literally days for my to back up just one of my external hard drives full of full resolution .CR2 files.

Pros

This program really does as it says, backups all that you have on your computer incase of lost data, or major computer crash loss. Because it's web based, it's all available and at the tip of your fingers if ever you need retrieve lost data.

Cons

My biggest issue with that program was that it took up so much bandwidth that there was very little left for other things in my home, such as watching youtube, or Hulu, or Netflix.

It ate up a lot of my allotted bandwidth for the month, and I had a lot of difficulty using it because of that.

Shaun P.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Used for 2+ years

CrashPlan Review

Reviewed on 29/9/2020

This software offers a simple and effective data backup solution.

Pros

This is an overall great data backup solution. I have used this for many many years for backing up my parents personal and small business computers. Great tool.

Cons

I cannot think of any real cons for this software. There are some cheaper options nowadays for data backup. However, this is still a great tool.

Dropbox Business and Google Drive

Reasons for Switching to CrashPlan

I have used this for years and was familiar with it.
Sean B.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great enterprise backup solution

Reviewed on 28/3/2019

CrashPlan has been a great product for us. We are able to easily deploy it from our deployment server with 100% confidence that it will work.

Pros

The CrashPlan agent works really well. We have not had any issues with backups not starting and we have not had to fix the agent connection once. I love the file versioning and the options for restoring files.

Cons

The web console isn't great. The UI is clunky. Assigning organizations and creating users takes a couple more clicks then it needs to.

• Industry: Higher Education

Data protection in an enterprise enviroment

Reviewed on 16/9/2015

My university has been using Code 42's CrashPlan for nearly 2 years now and the system just keeps getting better and better. The software is a fantastic tool that we put on every single staff and faculty machine to ensure data protections for the inevitable loss of data do to theft, hardware failure, or human error. Thanks to this software we are able to manage all of our user accounts though a cloud based console that give us the ability to make changes to machines that are being backed up as well as monitor the users to ensure consistent backups are being done. This give our IT department a since of security when it comes to data protection. We can restore data at a moments notice whenever needed thanks to this product. The only down side is that when using a cloud based server as opposed to a local server the restore process can take days for anything over 20GB. We had a user with 250GB that needed to be restored and the process took 7 days to get the data back. I understand the limitation when using the cloud based option but it would be nice if the restore speed could be increased a little. Aside from that one issue though the software performs at the level of security and coverage needed for an enterprise environment.

Pros

Security, Ease of use, Customer Champions,

Cons

Restore Speed can be a little lacking

• Industry: Individual & Family Services

Good backup cloud solution

Reviewed on 7/12/2019

Overall I like CrashPlan. It has been a reliable option for storing documents on my computer daily. It can be used for more than one computer and as long as it is connected to the internet it will store you documents in a cloud.

Pros

I like that it runs in the background when I schedule it to. It can easily store documents from more than one computer and is easy to set up. Retrieval of information and documents is easy and allows you to select some or all of the documents.

Cons

It is hard to get a hold of any customer service representatives. If there is an issue its hard to resolve quickly.

Susie H.
  • Industry: Photography

Crashplan gives wonderful peace of mind!

Reviewed on 27/1/2017

I'm a wedding photographer and wouldn't be able to do it without multiple backups. I love having Crashplan because it's a consistent, off-site backup that runs automatically, so I don't have to worry if it's not being backed up. I get an email daily about the status and if there ever is a problem, I know right away. I also really like that it keeps my backup even if I take something off of my hard drive, which isn't something all of these cloud services do.

Pros

It runs automatically & keeps a copy on their server even if I remove it from my hard drive.

Cons

It can take a long time to do the initial backup.

Adam S.

CrashPlan is King

Reviewed on 17/2/2016

We have been using CrashPlan for almost 3 years now and it continues to impress as an endpoint backup solution. The true beauty of it lies in its stealth, simplicity and reliability. The easiest way to get end users on board with new technology is with technology that is invisible to them. Some of our users ask periodically if the backup is even running because they don't see anything. This is music to the ears of IT professionals.

For around $1/week per user, you can't beat the quality, reliability and the value of CrashPlan PROe. The latest versions (5.x) are rolling out many new capabilities that we are excited to take advantage The home version works just as well for your personal devices, too.

Pros

It does everything it claims to do, and it does it quickly, quietly and seamlessly. The administrative console is easy to use and navigate. After the environment is up and running, maintenance and administration is minimal.

Cons

There is an occasional delay in responses to online tickets, mostly due to time zone differences depending on who picks it up. Phone support is faster if you cannot wait.

Sam J.

It just works!

Reviewed on 11/8/2017

Saved me when I lost my hard drive!

Pros

I dropped a laptop off a couch and ended the life of the hard drive. It was so nice to know Crashplan had everything saved for me. It just works without thinking about it.

Cons

Its a little hard to navigate the online saved files. But other than that, not much to say here. I like it.

• Industry: Computer & Network Security

Recovering my data

Reviewed on 19/10/2019

I've used it to have a smooth transition to my new laptop and for the most part it allowed me to get all my files in place with a few exceptions but were not a real issue.

Pros

Makes it really easy to select the files and directories to back up and recover.

Cons

Some times a few files get corrupted when trying to recover them.

Vince P.

Code42 CrashPlan Review

Reviewed on 8/9/2017

We use this primarily for backups of staff laptops and desktops.
Our staff travels constantly around the world, so we need a reliable method of insuring backups are performed wherever they are. We receive regular notifications when backups haven't been completed keeping us up to date on who is in danger of not having a current backup.

Pros

Code42 CrashPlan application is very easy to deploy and even easier to maintain.

Deployed the application to over 150 field sales associates with little or no input or assistance.

The application is almost self maintaining.

Used the restore functionality on many occasions and have been successful in keeping our field sales associates technologically ready and current.

Easy to deployment, easy to use, and a great support team.

Cons

The movement from Cold Storage could use a little more work. upload speed is a bit slow, be prepared to wait. This is not a problem with the product, but a problem with ISPs.

Joshua B.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Crashplan - the true silent backup software

Reviewed on 16/9/2015

My unit uses CrashPlan for end user backups. There are several ways of setting it up. We use onsite management with cloud storage. The initial backup takes a while but it can be set to run in the background just like the incremental backups. We also have it set to take advantage of idle time and increase the resources used when they are not otherwise occupied. CrashPlan enables the user to do restores or they can be pushed from the administration console. It also does versioning of the backups which is especially useful when a user gets ransomware. Their customer service is amazing though we have had very little reason to contact them. They are also constantly trying to get in contact to ask what you think and what changes they can make.

Pros

Great software system that does what it advertised. Great company.

Cons

cloud is always dependent on bandwidth. I don't know what can be done about it but in some of our slower areas restores can take more than a day.

Best bang for the buch

Reviewed on 29/9/2017

Pros

Easy to install and use in a hybrid setup, easy to deploy to users, unlimited storage (which is just awesome), customer support is good and they REALLY know their stuff!

Cons

The only real con we have experienced is that our admin staff don't always get notifications from the server about machines that haven't backed up in a bit. Other than that, it's been pretty great!

Jason C.

CrashPlan has made my life so much easier!

Reviewed on 14/11/2017

Pros

I love the fact that Crashplan is constantly backing up new data to the cloud, and does not use up all of the computer's resources to do so. I love the migration tool when we are imaging and deploying a new set up as well! I think the Administrative console is easy to use and the product is easy for the users to use as well.

Kyle M.

Best End Point backup solution

Reviewed on 2/1/2017

Code42 is the best cloud-based endpoint backup program that we found while researching a new backup system. As many other users states, it just works! Extremely easy to restore files for users that accidentally delete something or have get locked out due to ransomware. It's also great to use when a user switches to a new computer.

Pros

Worry free file backup, easy to deploy, runs silently in the background.

Cons

The public cloud version lags a little behind compared to the new product updates for the on-premise solution.

Frank H.

Hidden but Works When Necessary

Reviewed on 12/4/2018

Peace of mind that my work product and environment are safe and secure.

Pros

This is a great software that runs in the background like most back-up/recovery/encryption services out there. It allows me to work through our network or even with files on my own harddrive without having to worry about losing everything or having risk of serious security events like Ransomware attacks.

Cons

For the most part, my cons with CrashPlan are minimal and insignificant. File searches are useful but I wish they were quicker (but of course patience isn't in great supply when you're looking urgently for a necessary file). The security dashboard/overview is also a bit elementary in display.

Sarah B.

Could be better!

Reviewed on 13/4/2019

Pros

I love that I can constantly be backing up everything. It gives me peace of mind that I won’t lose anything important. I am a wedding photographer and so it is nice to know my stuff is saved in multiple places.

Cons

I wish it was easier to retrieve files. It can be really hard to download files.

Problems Setting it Up

Reviewed on 21/5/2018

Pros

I like that it is reasonably priced and backs up my server and individual laptops every day. I switched to this plan on the advice of my IT professional.

Cons

We had a really hard time getting it to back up properly to begin with but after about 6 tries we finally got it working properly.

Sastry C.

Crash Plan review

Reviewed on 17/1/2019

Pros

Ease of use, making backup of data painless

Cons

Can be slow, slows down the Mac almost once in a week

Creashplan: Easy and Effective

Reviewed on 11/8/2016

Creashplan is simply the best data backup on the market. It's made life extremely easy for our IT department, and it's been a life saver multiple times for multiple users.

Pros

Cheap, easy to manage and set up, effective

Cons

Really there aren;t any cons I can think of

Kevin C.
  • Industry: Publishing
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Terrific Solution!

Reviewed on 17/9/2015

We tried other solutions… they claim to backup well, but underperformed when trying to actually restore lost data. CrashPlan delivers the goods when it comes time to restore. Our Help Desk has fewer requests for restores from our internal servers–users are empowered to self serve.

Pros

Very minimal amount of time allocated to managing the console.
Users can self support by doing restores themselves.
The mobile App. This adds so much value. There are many use cases for this that we haven't even thought of yet.
Makes easy work of migrating to new hardware.

Cons

Large installations can get pricey.
Phone technical support can get busy and require a call back.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Code 42 has made our life at work so much easier!

Reviewed on 27/11/2017

Pros

Well, the pricing is great. And, it's a product that is super easy to use! It runs quietly in the background so it's not obtrusive and it protects our data as promised.