Moodle

Chamath
  • Used for 6-12 months

The e-learning platform for 100+ students

Reviewed on 27/6/2019

In the beginning, I would say it's a bit harder to learn but after I read their documentation and refer some guides I become a master of Moodle. There are a good amount of helping documentations with Moodle you can find almost anything on their documentation. I’m happy to say that still our students using it daily. If you have a small budget this is a great choice. I’m very satisfied on Moodle and I can recommend for anyone those who are looking for a good LMS platform

Pros

I have used Moodle for an organization to implement an e-learning platform. I have searched for may LMS and finally, I selected Moodle because it’s open source and very customizable for our requirements. While I am using the Moodle I can list down some pros according to my experience

- Moodle has Multilingual capability that allows users to use multi-language it was a great feature for me.
- Manage user roles and permission, You can define roles to users and manage user access
- Bulk course creation and easy to backup
- Customizable or create our own themes
- Very useful calendar to track course deadlines, meetings and many more
- Admin user can Install and disable 3rd party plugins

Cons

Though Moodle offers many features there are some things that I don’t like much. I can list a few cons of Moodle

- The learning curve is a bit higher for administration and building Moodle courses for First-time users
- If you need to customize some functionalities requires a Moodle programmer
- The look and feel a bit outdated even if you use a theme it feels like bit older
- I faced some upgrading issues it’s not that easy for me

Google Classroom

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Moodle is free and customizable for our needs and we can host it anywhere we want.
Eladio
Eladio

A powerful, yet old tool

Reviewed on 29/10/2023

Moodle is a powerful tool. A good and unexpensive alternative. But even if you choose a modern theme it will feel old and ugly.

Pros

Most powerful LMS in the market. No other tool has such a wide set of tools and customization options.

Cons

Short answer: hard to use and the interface is horrible
Long answer:
- For the students: the interface is not user friendly at all. Messy, full of buttons and unnecessary information. The onboarding is tough for many.
- For the teachers: it is hard to grasp all the basic functions and upload resources. There are few tools to make batch changes. Maintenance is a pain.
- For IT: hard to deploy. It is the WP version of the LMS world, but tougher.

Podia, LearnDash, Tutor LMS, Kajabi and Thinkific

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Price and flexibility. Particularly, the options to create online quizzes
Julia

Moodle for College Tracking

Reviewed on 9/3/2024

Pros

I really like the layout of Moodle. I think the clean aesthetic and overall format and template made it user friendly for keeping track of all of my courses, as well as features to keep track of grades/message professors, etc...

Cons

During the time I used this platform the most, there was not a mobile app, however now there is!

Moodle E-Learning Software Overall Review

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

So far, my colleague developers and I are excited about Moodle. We're currently customizing it (creating courses, students, faculty members, enrolling students in their courses, branding, carrying out training for both faculty and students) to suit our University's standard as we will deploy it for our students this academic year 2019/2020.

Pros

- It's built with the common language PHP and MySQL which makes it easy to customize (by Developers)
- It has so many detailed features built-in, such as setting the date a course will begin and end, methods for learners to enroll in a course, the timezone of the learner, and more features.
- Many plugins (such as video LiveStreaming, quiz modules, assignment modules) are present which provides even more features to the software.
- It has detailed documentation for Developers and General users on how to carry out functions on the software.
- Moodle is so far one of the best e-learning software which fosters the distant learning culture and is so helpful to learners for example in areas with a socio-political crisis.

Cons

- A fee is required for any least additional functionality the client wants to be added on Moodle.
- The codebase is so hard to understand especially for non-Moodle Developers hence making it difficult to customize Moodle by yourself or team developers if they are not an expert.
- Moodle is strictly course-based, making it hard to integrate and synchronize with say, a platform already built and used by a school, in this case, our University.
- Email sent by the Moodle system to users always land in their spam/junk folder or doesn't even get sent at all.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

- With Moodle, there is full control of data as the information (files and user data) is found on our website / VPS Hosting account, compared to Google Classroom whereby all information is stored in Google's servers. - Hence with Moodle, there's more data privacy.
Camila

Moddle was my best pal during my university years

Reviewed on 10/2/2024

Pros

The full access to all the content provided by my university. It was easy to access and navigate.

Cons

It's user interface was quite obsolete.

Response from Moodle

Hi Camila,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Moodle. It's great to know you've considered Moodle best companion during your university years.

We are continuously working on improving Moodle to deliver the best possible learning environment. To discover the new and improved features of Moodle, including changes to UX/ UI, with our latest release, please visit:
Workplace: https://moodle.com/workplace4/
LMS: https://moodle.com/moodle-4/

If you want to customise or upscale your LMS to your organisation’s unique needs, you can contact our Moodle Certified Partners and Service Providers. Find more information here: https://moodle.com/solutions/certified-service-providers/.

Moodle Team

Jamie
Jamie

Too Inconsistent

Reviewed on 20/10/2022

We ended up switching from Blackboard to Moodle and then back to Blackboard again.

Pros

Moodle is pretty inexpensive, which is why we were willing to give it a try. It had quite a bit for the low cost.

Cons

Moodle has the potential to be wonderful, but there are just a number of inconsistencies that made us end up seeking a better solution. The User Interface is not terribly intuitive, leading to a number of complaints by end users. There were also quite unexpected outages or bugs that frustrated our team and students. It's just too inconsistent to rely on.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Moodle was saving us $20,000 a year to use over Blackboard.

It was inexpensive
Emir
Emir
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Clasic freeware platform, has its quirks, but overall still one of the best solutions

Reviewed on 20/9/2020

Mostly positive. I would like to see if they can offer premium preseted enviroment.

Pros

You can install it on shared hosting platform in less then 10 minutes. There are lots of plugins and forum tips/tricks so anyone with a little bit time can become serious user/admin.

Cons

It is to fragmented, because of "openes".
Yes you can integrate Office 365 but integration is quite loose.
Yes you can implement SSO but some security concerns are present.
Mobile app is unfinished and optimization often requires in dept knowledge of html/css.
Reporting sistem is not straight forward, gemification is only an option, not reality.

Easy LMS

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Price, it was part of my masters degree to analyse and implement Moodle/DL/elearnig solution in telco enviroment
Edward
  • Industry: Banking

Moodle Review

Reviewed on 29/2/2024

I have had a good experience as student user. I am able to easily post submissions.

Pros

I like that you can set up a course and manage assignment submissions easily

Cons

Some of the scheduling features are confusing at first.

Response from Moodle

Hi Edward,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Moodle. It's wonderful to hear that you've had good experience in using Moodle as a student.

To access our wealth of resources and support and engage in Q&A, the Moodle community awaits at https://moodle.org.

Moodle's array of Certified Partners and Service Providers are ready to tailor the platform to your organisation's specific requirements, ensuring you get all the benefits of Moodle without the complexity. Learn more at https://moodle.com/solutions/certified-service-providers/.

Best,
The Moodle Team

Priyanka
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Moodle the managing software for your study

Reviewed on 16/3/2024

Overall experience is good. I can access my study notes since first year to last year.

Pros

Moodle provide the no. of features like test assessment, project assessment, assignment assessment, study material, progress reviews of students, etc. Moodle can save our assignment since we using it actively in college days upto so long till we having it's authority. It's virtual platform for having number of references, textbooks, video lectures, notes regarding our opted courses in one platform. I think that makes it unique.

Cons

I didn't like it that if number of users of particular University or college are using it the software become unable to use. During exam times it oftenly happens.

Andrea

Excellent acquisition

Reviewed on 12/3/2024

Pros

I like the ease of creating courses, the ease with which the user can manage their time on any device with internet access.

Cons

I don't like that completed courses don't appear

Michael
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

The ultimate toolbox for educators

Reviewed on 27/9/2019

I have been involved with Moodle for many years as a user, administrator and developer. Be careful about the hype you hear from commercial vendors, they will often understate the prevalence of Moodle around the world, which dwarfs other systems many times. The community involved with this product have a common aim: to help educators; money is rarely their driver.

Pros

Moodle is, hands-down, the most functional and malleable learning management system available. Moodle can do everything we want it to do.

Cons

Sometimes you have to reduce functionality to make it useful for some people. It is possible to turn off features to achieve that.

CANVAS and Schoolbox

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Blackboard seems to be dying. Their product is undeveloped over many years and their proposed replacement still seems to be vaporware. The costs for this system are very high and very few equivalent institutions are still using it.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

In a blind test at my current institution, Moodle was favoured by users over other systems. It won out in terms of features and flexibility. It just works.
Florian
  • Industry: Media Production

Capable to power a whole university

Reviewed on 25/6/2020

While certain parts could be improved, the whole experience never feels overwhelming. Content can be grouped into weekly chunks to set the right rhythm for both teachers and students. Announcements and Q&As take place in discussion boards, with automatic email notifications for those who don’t want to check manually for updates. It is even possible to hold entire exams with automatic grading (for multiple choice questions) and an automatically generated score.

Pros

With not just employees but also students working from home, efficient educational software is more important than ever. Moodle is capable to power online teaching for a whole university, including online exams, file sharing, video uploads, discussion boards, surveys and homework submissions.

Cons

At the moment, there is no native video conferencing feature. We work around this limitation by pasting links from external platforms, like Zoom or Jitsi. It would be nice to have this functionality baked into the core, together with the possibility of referencing existing content inside the video call: documents, discussion boards, surveys, etc. Another pain point is the grading section. It is meant to calculate a student’s score based on homework submissions and online exams. Unfortunately, there are just too many figures relating to absolute score, relative score and more, so in the end it is hard to grasp what the final score is actually composed of.

Nathan

A Great Open Source LMS

Reviewed on 11/6/2021

Moodle was a great first LMS for our school. We used Moodle from the very beginning and it served us well until we reached about 3000 students. Beyond that, we felt we needed more stability from an out-of-the-box LMS. We essentially had no tech team at this time, so we elected to remove the tech aspect. Any organization that has the tech skills would do well with Moodle at much greater numbers.

Pros

The fact that it is open sources is really nice. There are really endless possibilities with Moodle as a result, you just need to have the tech skills and personnel to put your vision together. The ability to customize heavily is a huge selling point for Moodle, one you don't get with many other LMSs.

Cons

This goes against my point about loving the open source nature of the platform, but there is no real support. You can work with a Moodle partner to handle technical issues for you, but this is quite expensive. Instead, I found myself spending many hours reading through forums to try and solve problems myself. Managing the hosting and updating of Moodle is tough if you do not have a strong tech team.

CANVAS and Schoology

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

We chose Moodle because it was very affordable. We also liked that there were so many options to customize the LMS. At the time of choosing, we weren't 100% sure of what we wanted our courses to look like, so it was nice to know we had a lot of options with Moodle.
David

Getting to know the Ancestor of the new Virtual Classrooms

Reviewed on 16/5/2022

It was a great way to start learning how to use a Virtual Clasroom, but I had to keep switching and integrating other platforms

Pros

It is a great way to remain distanced with students in th epersonal way which can be a positive thing for teachers like me.

Cons

It ensures very liitle contact with others and can be negative for a hands on Teachers... unlike myself.

Google Classroom and Sawyer

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Because the School already had it

Google Classroom and Sawyer

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

It was a matter of trying different things in order to become more cost effective at the company

Response from Moodle

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. In Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. BigBlueButton, the open-source web conferencing and virtual classroom is now a standard feature in Moodle LMS 4.0. It provides real-time sharing of audio, video, chat, slides, screen sharing, a multi-user whiteboard, breakout rooms, polling, and emojis. Learn more at: https://bit.ly/3HDycMq

Soorya

Product is great but extending, deployment and customization requires

Reviewed on 27/5/2021

Overall we liked the features provided by Moodle but not the whole experience of setting it up as per our requirement and deployment.

Pros

Moodle comes with power packed features that any elearning company can build upon. For any modern enterprise building on EdTech and Learning/Training domain, Moodle covers most aspects of our business.

The product itself is open source which means we do not have to pay for the software. However we were not able to go much further on our own and eventfully had to hire a vendor and consultants to customize and the costs shot up drastically!

Cons

The software definitely requires technical experts/consultants who understand it's architecture and will be able to customize or extend the features/design.

We had to hire external consultants to fix a lot of issues and not a really pleasant experience for small company like ours.

Drupal

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

We considered drupal as an alternative as it's also open source and we can customize content. But it lacked a lot of in-built features like Moodle
Marco
Marco
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Leading open source e-Learning solution

Reviewed on 31/7/2020

We adopted Moodle in our company to setup an e-Learning plaform for training to both manufacturing and office employees (around 500). Most of our courses are related with production practices, quality and work instructions, and main supports are represented by professionally recorded footage, SCORM compliant. We're still at deployment phase, with massive upload of users (very convenient), definition of roles, and structuring of courses, but the platform itself feels very responsive, quick and efficient. Included features are very impressive, and can be easily enriched by available plugins, that allow a very tailored customization.

Pros

Moodle is the reference open source e-learning platform, with recognized robustness of its architecture and responsiveness of design. Offers very detailed configuration options, allowing complete customization upon your needs. Moodle community is extremely active, with wide availability of certified 3rd party plugins, and documentation for every step. Extremely good compatibility with most common media formats, and compatible with most common SCORM standard.
Being a pro-level platform, Moodle is ideal for both business and scholar deployments.

Cons

Require expertise in order to be installed on premise with proper secure configutarion (internal server / hosted VPS) and require training and documentation reading to really handle and customize the platform. Not for newbies.

Forma LMS and Docebo

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

On premise (hosted VPS) solution was preferred because offers higher php customization options (like max upload file size), which is perfect if you need to upload footage. Moodle is the most complete open source on-premise solution. While fully hosted solutions generally limit the file size of uploaded files.
Paweł

Overrated, confusing, inadequate

Reviewed on 20/8/2019

I've been using this system because it has been installed at my college as the learning platform for students. In general, I find this platform awkward to use and not optimal for school/college education. Its grading system is totally inadequate for a school environment. It has modules that I don't need while lacking in those that I do need. A lot of it is confusing, e.g. some activities for testing or creating quizzes/feedback activities don't really do what you would expect (e.g. the Survey only uses predefined sets of questions, and you can't create your own [sic]). The layout is often confusing, or even buggy, e.g. when you view your students' grades and they overflow past the edge of the page, you can't really scroll to see them - unless you first scroll down to see the horizontal scroll bar, which I didn't even realise until someone pointed that out to me (there's usability for you). The enrolment system is atrocious - it overlaps a new design with an old system of enrolment, and it's terribly confusing. Unenrolling a batch of students requires some incredible tricks. And there are more annoying shortcomings and bugs. You can't expect a piece of (free) software to be perfect, but I find this system to be one of the clumsiest and annoying in terms of usability, functionality, design, and general concept.

Pros

It's free, actively developed, and ubiquitous. I don't quite understand why it's so popular, but because of its popularity support is easy to find.

Cons

It lacks features that would make it suitable for (ironically) a school/college/university environment. Notably, it doesn't have a proper grading system for classroom activities such as tests and exams. The only way to grade those (that I know of) is to create an Assignment activity and disable all the submission options, which is a very clumsy workaround (and one that is confusing for students). The enrolment/unenrolment system is a disaster.

Emilio

A User-Friendly Learning Management System for Students

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

Overall, I would highly recommend Moodle to any student looking for a comprehensive and user-friendly LMS. It has greatly improved my ability to stay organized and engaged in my coursework, and I believe it would be a valuable resource for any student.

Pros

Moodle is a learning management system (LMS) that is widely used by educators and students around the world. As a student, I have had the opportunity to use Moodle in several of my courses and I have been consistently impressed with its user-friendly interface and the range of features it offers.need for their coursework in one place, rather than having to search through various locations or emails to find what they need. Moodle also allows for easy communication between students and instructors, with a built-in messaging system and forums for discussion.Another great feature of Moodle is the ability to track progress and complete assignments online. Students can easily submit assignments and track their grades in real-time, which helps with organization and staying on top of coursework. Moodle also offers a range of assessment tools, including quizzes and surveys, which can be helpful for instructors to gauge student understanding and engagement.

Cons

One potential issue is that it can be somewhat time-consuming for instructors to set up and manage a Moodle course, as there are many different options and settings to consider. This can be especially challenging for instructors who are new to Moodle or who are managing multiple courses at the same time.Another potential issue is that Moodle may not be as visually appealing or intuitive as some other LMSs on the market. This can make it more difficult for some students to navigate and use, especially if they are not familiar with the interface.Finally, Moodle can be somewhat resource-intensive and may require a more powerful computer or device to run smoothly. This may be a concern for students who are using older or slower devices, as the system may be slower to load or respond. Overall, these are relatively minor drawbacks, but they are worth considering when evaluating whether Moodle is the right LMS for a particular course or program.

Response from Moodle

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. In Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. Discover Moodle 4.0's fresh and intuitive user experience. https://bit.ly/3bgVsDC Regards.

Sandra

Moodle LMS - Decent Learning Management System

Reviewed on 7/1/2023

At the end of the day Moodle LMS is a decent learning management system.

At the end of the day Moodle LMS is a decent learning management system.

Pros

Moodle LMS is one of the best Learner's Portal. Moodle was very helpful in the pandemic period. Moodle LMS serves as a bridge between the instructor and learners. File Sharing is works perfect, students can access the course materials easy at any time. Course management and publishing course materials are very easy in Moodle. In admin point of view, it very easy to upload contents, share and schedule session is very easy. Integrating Moodle with the education institution is also very easy. Admins can update the course files instantly and it is reflecting at the end user at no time.

Cons

Moodle has a very high learning curve in my point of view. Moodle's interface is outdated. Latency in the platform is also high at sometimes. If any problem occurs, troubleshooting is cannot be done by a layman. Moodle LMS has to improve their platform to matchup and catchup with the other LMS platforms.

Luis Miguel
  • Industry: Telecommunications

The best LMS platform

Reviewed on 26/10/2023

Pros

I had the opportunity, to set, configure, and launch Moodle in my College, it was the best to the best on LMS, I tried many others, but chose Moodle by its unique features

Cons

hardcoding functions sometime is the only way to extend features

Response from Moodle

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. At Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. For any technical assistance, you can reach out to Moodle Certified Partners or Service Providers.

Regards,
Moodle

Vashi
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Moodle as a student and administrator

Reviewed on 3/3/2018

There is not really any cons about Moodle. It is a highly satisfying product that is worth a try.

Pros

First: It is free!

As a student: it has easy navigation, provides a dashboard with all the related courses currently enrolled, it has a calendar on the right highlighting all the upcoming submission dates. It also notifies us about the upcoming events the lecture has set. All the information are arranged in a neat format. It shows the online users. It has portfolio option, makes it easy to keep track of all our works. It also has email facilities so we can email other users.

As an administrator: There is so many features incorporated in Moodle! The teacher has the power to design the moodle course in however way they want: It integrates SCORM packages, documents, videos, links, quiz, different grading systems (average/individual) and the grade history of the students on the platform. The teacher also has the flexibility to program when to make one lesson visible (by presetting the time and date), when to close assignment submission past deadline automatically, or to create specific forums and events. One can use moodle to run a class or to act as a learning repertoire. There is also the option to add a chat room for a particular lesson. What I also appreciate is the feature to monitor course participation and activity log report of students. By including keys to the lessons, we can control who we give access to the contents on the forum. Thus it can either be open contents or private. The power lies in the hands of the administrator.

Cons

The chat feature should be an in-built feature rather than a pop-out screen available only when the administrator adds it as part of a lesson.

Kavindu Githsara
Kavindu Githsara

Free Open-Source Powerful Learning Management System

Reviewed on 22/11/2022

Great LMS Platform for both Teachers and Students. Ease of configuration and deployment. It includes all the features like, courses, Assignments, Exams and many more. Secure place to keep students files. Moodle mobile app brings mobility to users in anywhere at anytime. Specially, Moodle id Totally FREE and Open-source System. Anyone can use Moodle without Hesitation.

Pros

Ease of Deployment. Our team never faced any issues when we deploy our online courses and materials via Moodle. There are lots of tutorials and guidance out there, that will help anyone to archive their goals with in Moodle. User interface is very friendly for both Students and Teachers. Moodle helps us a lot in Covid Pandemic period. Best Long Distance Learning System we found so far. Moodle has a Password Encryption method that helps it users to keep their account safe and secure. Online exam feature is a great tool in Moodle. We don't have to use any other third party tools to conduct online exams.

Cons

Nothing to mention but Moodle Developers should improve the user experience in Moodle Mobile App.

Arlando
  • Industry: Higher Education

Moodle Through a student's eyes

Reviewed on 25/4/2021

The overall experience using Moodle is good. It great to navigate even if your a first time user and is very effective in online teacher especially during this pandemic.

Pros

I've been using Moodle for three years now. Since the pandemic i had to be using it more frequently to check for assignments, course outlines, discussion forums and due dates. What I enjoy about Moodle is its easy navigations and how organize it is. It also provide a mini calendar that publish the due dates of assignments from different courses. Now here is another plus to this calendar, it takes you directly to the assignment information without you having to go through the hassle of scrolling and looking for the assignment that is due. Also, submissions of assignments are fast and easy as it allows you to upload your document from your device and as simple as 1-2 clicks sometimes and then your finish, and even allow you to edit the submission a few minutes after you initial attempt just incase you made a mistake. The discussion forums on Moodle are very interactive, it makes it easy to read and critique your classmates work and like the submission portal it allows you to edit your responses up to 30 minutes of the initial post.

Cons

What I don't like much about Moodle is that sometimes when there are a lot of users accessing the portal it tends malfunction and bar users from accessing the website. This happens especially when there is a major assignment due and everyone is trying to submit before the deadline ends.

Eugene

Moodle for Advanced learning Experience!

Reviewed on 29/4/2021

Moodle is the #1 choice for those who are serious about the educational environment produced by everyone involved in the school. When this software is used right it takes the burden away from the teacher in having to produce everything their self. Many software packages are pretty, but the question is this, where is their backend? If is not there, so it may look good 'on the cover' but it simply does not have the functionality of moodle. Moodle is a platform, and you can add the front-end features with other products.

Pros

This is the best software to implement when you need a lot of supportive materials that can be built up over the years that give this software its edge.

Cons

Although it is very powerful in the background, it lacks everything that is style and elegance. With moodle the software is for integration of the content materials across your whole network. That makes it perfect for teachers that can produce papers and research and moodle will keep track of ever comment, and stimultae discussions and thoughts, and over the years a school will have a 'flavor' and trend of thoughts and ideas which is the goal of a good online school.

Houssem

Review of Moodle platform

Reviewed on 22/3/2023

Pros

As a user of this platform for more than 3 years,I do appreciate Moodle's user-friendly interface, accessibility, personalized learning experiences and communication tools.

Cons

1/ From my experience, when I was new to online learning I've found Moodle navigation system confusing and difficult to use.2/ Moodle does offer some communication tools, but, I think that it's not enough for social interaction with my classmates. In addition, Instructors may not always be available or responsive to student questions or concerns, which can make it difficult for me or other students to get the help we need.

Response from Moodle

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. At Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. Regards.