Smartcare

Cloud-based child care center management software

3.8 /5 (269 reviews) Write a Review!

Danielle B.

I liked Childcare Manager better

Reviewed on 22/10/2018

In all honesty I am extremely disappointed with Smartcare. If I had not required my parents/staff to adjust to ChildCare Manager then to Smartcare a short time afterwards I would look for something else.

Pros

- The tablet that the parents and staff use to check-in/out is very modern looking.
- The ladybug allows us the opportunity to screenshot a problem for tech support.
- The layout looks good and is more modern.
- Updates are being made often which increases our ease of functionality.

Cons

- There are a lot of things that we need in the childcare world that ChildCare Manager had that Smartcare is sluggish with. For example, live files vs. archived files. If I want to look back at a past child I have to unarchive them to bring them forward.
- The accounting portion does not allow corrections. I'm concerned that the "credits" we had to add to correct issues will come back to haunt us at tax time.
- Parents cannot see notes that we've added to the accounting so that they know what the charges are for (for example, field trips are not on regular billing. When parents see the charge they don't know what it is for because the "note" doesn't appear to them)
- In ChildCare Manager the reports section gave a brief synopsis of what could be included. Smartcare gives the title of the report alone, it has to be run and downloaded just for us to see that it was not what we needed.
- We still do not have a place to document employee discipline that they cannot see. In CCM we had a page that we could keep track of things, but staff could not see.
- We discovered that if a staff person downloads a Smartcare Kiosk app they can clock themselves in remotely. This we discovered in the testing phase and we had the employees delete the app (hopefully, it will stay deleted).
- The ladybugs are helpful, but not always answered immediately. Additionally, if/when the problem is corrected we are not assigned a ticket # for us to refer back to should we need to follow-up.

Response from Smartcare

Danielle,
Thank you for your feedback. It is our pleasure to provide you and your staff with our Smartcare Software & Resources!

We have an array of Tutorial Videos and User Guides available to our Smartcare Clients, on our Smartcare Website that can be accessed here:

User Guides
*Tutorial Videos and User Guides are Password Protected - please use the password provided to you by your Customer Success Manager.

We also host LIVE Webinars you and your staff could attend - or sign up for recorded sessions by checking out our all new Smartcare University at http://offers.smartcare.com/smartcare-university

Finally, should you need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Support Team at [email protected] - or by giving us a call at (844) 762-7837.

Director of Marketing

We liked it initially but found several problems with functionality, UI/UX, and dearth of...

Reviewed on 13/7/2018

Pros

Some features were nicely implemented - attendance, ability for teachers to sign in to multiple locations etc

Cons

Billing and invoicing was EXTREMELY difficult to implement and bill due dates were confusing for both parents and us. Lots of downtime and terrible customer support.

Response from Smartcare

It is our pleasure to assist you in locating our Online Resources for you and your Staff!

Ricarda E.

Billing issues

Reviewed on 30/10/2018

Overall it is OK, not as dynamic as I had hoped. I like the digital log in/out process for families. However some of our families fin the two step process hard to follow.

Pros

I like the reports that I am able to run. I like that the staff can clock in and out and only access our stuff when they are workings.

Cons

1)The most important aspect of this tool is to be able to collect on payments. The billing system is showing bills as being due the next billing cycle, rather than the current billing cycle. My parents are confused and my payments are coming in late. If this issue is not fixed, we will be starting the next year with a new company. The customer service people don't seem to see the gravity in the situation, but if I cannot collect payment in a timely manner then I don't really need the service.
2) We use this service for an after school program. The timeline is not geared towards OST but to daycare. I would like to see some prepopulated timeline items specific to older students. Diaper changes and bottle feedings are not important to us.
3) The statements that we are able to generate for families do not meet the requirements for reimbursement for childcare. I have to create separate invoices to families with flexible spending accounts.

Response from Smartcare

Ricarda,

Courtney G.

We love Smartcare at our center. It has been awesome for us.

Reviewed on 11/7/2018

Pros

It makes tracking everything so easy. As a director, I love the reports. They are easy to use and well laid out. For teachers, the ease of the program is wonderful and the communication between parents and the classroom is awesome. For parents, the technology on their phones is amazing. They don't have to take home a sheet of paper every night that gets lost. They can always access the information. They can directly communicate with the teachers when needed.

Cons

The cost for us can be a little daunting. We initially had all intentions of passing it on to the families but ran into a lot of bumps along the way needing to take the cost on ourselves because it wasn't really providing the offered services. It is now hard to pass on those costs to parents because we don't use it for billing. Long term I wouldn't mind going back to billing parents this way, but the transition back is a bit overwhelming to think about. I truly think that we have done a lot to incorporate this program into our child care center. We give a ton of feedback along the way. We didn't always get the best support and I think that could have been improved. I feel like we do now, but we did get "forgotten" for a while. I love the program and will continue to use it but I wish there was just a bit more support and help along the way to continue the initial support we received.

Response from Smartcare

Courtney,

Thank you so much for your great feedback!
We are so happy to hear that you love SmartCare.

We're positively delighted to be able to provide our Customers with all the features we offer and continue to improve week by week - with updates and new features! that's why we value your comments because we want to provide even a better experience for you .

At SmartCare, we appreciate your business and we look forward to continuing to provide your Center with Tomorrow's Childcare Technology - Today! Our goal is always to exceed your Center's Software needs as we grow and evolve with you.

Carmen C.

Smartcare System

Reviewed on 26/10/2018

We like the attendance tracking feature and the real time ratios. That being said, we have had many issues with parents being over charged, double punches in and out that were not showing up as an error, automatic payments not coming out on time. We serve a big population of school age children who may be here for 1/2 hour in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. When a group of 22 children get off the bus, we have to sign them in individually. This takes FOREVER!! I like Child Care Manager where we had a class set up and could check which children got off the bus, enter the time and hit ok. It would update each one of the children as a group.

Pros

The variety of features it offers and parents love the option of paying tuition online.

Cons

It is very difficult to learn. There were a lot of "kinks" in the system that had to be worked out when we started in August. We switched from Child Care Manager (which was being discontinued) to Smartcare and it is not comparable. There were a lot of things we could do on CCM that cannot be done on Smartcare. We are very disappointed in this system.

Response from Smartcare

Carmen,

Katelyn S.

Great Childcare Center Tool

Reviewed on 22/10/2018

Smartcare has enabled my center to reduce printing costs in billing, registration forms, handbooks, and daily sheets. The ease of billing through the app puts our center at the top of the list. The customer service within this company is impeccable- they are always there to aid.

Pros

The ease of accessibility not only to the many features, but the availability of customer service to respond to any questions within reasonable time frame is very helpful.

Cons

There are some improvements to be made on how different aspects are designed, however they are constantly updating and revamping the software to be better and better.

Response from Smartcare

Katelyn,

Rebecca F.

SmartCare review

Reviewed on 6/2/2019

Pros

I love Smartcare! It is so easy to check my kids in and out of daycare and communicate with teachers throughout the day! We can even quickly pay fees and balances through the app. The app is so user friendly, it required no training.

Cons

Sometimes the app requires setting up a new QR code, but it is rare and doesn't take long.

Response from Smartcare

Rebecca,

Thank you for your feedback. It is our pleasure to provide you and your Center with our Smartcare Software & Resources!

Danielle D.

It has been quite an adjustment getting used to this software...good and bad.

Reviewed on 19/7/2018

Most of the information was transferred over electronically from our old software to this software without us having to do it manually.

Pros

Still trying to figure this out. There are more cons than pros right now. The first impression I had of the screens was that it was pleasing to the eye as far as the layout however when I started working in the program, I don't understand why I have to go through so many steps to get where I need.

Cons

The reports are not user friendly...having to download reports each time and then needing to tweak the excel reports for our needs is very time consuming. We have had to send a lot of questions and requests to Smartcare to fit our needs and the solutions are not always easy to follow. The fees associated with parents using their credit card are out of hand. A parent was charged fees 2 times on the same transaction. That's ridiculous! Smartcare has a lot of work to do to improve their program. We hope they listen to the voices of those that work with the program and continuously change it to fit our needs.

Response from Smartcare

Danielle,

Thank you so much for your feedback!

We're positively elated to be able to provide our Customers with all the features we offer and continue to improve week by week - with updates and new features!, and that is why we value your feedback.

SmartCare is very happy to be able to deliver our software to your business and we expect to continue to update our software to meet your needs and continuing to provide to your school with Tomorrow's Childcare Technology - Today! Our goal is always to exceed your Center's Software needs as we grow and evolve with you.

Christy S.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

We are not completely up and running yet but I like what I see as far as ease of making...

Reviewed on 13/7/2018

I haven't fully used everything yet

Pros

The fact that parents can make card payments online through the app and I don't have to process them.

Cons

I paid for a card machine and now that everything is being switched over that was wasted. Its hard to navigate the site it takes forever to try and find things and having 2 separate apps for one center rather then it all together is confusing for everyone. I still have to go through the second training session but am already having a hard time finding the things we went over in the first training. We are hoping that once everything is on place it will be easier to navigate and find things. We also had issues with how to bill parents as my policy charges for what they schedule and your program charges for what they attend. We are working on it with our rep though.

Response from Smartcare

Christy,

Thank you so much for your feedback!

We're positively delighted to be able to provide our Customers with all the features we offer and continue to improve week by week - with updates and new features!, and that is why we do really value your feedback.

Smartcare is very happy to be able to deliver our software to your business and we expect to continue to update our software to meet your needs and continuing to provide your Center with Tomorrow's Childcare Technology - Today! Our goal is always to exceed your Center's Software needs as we grow and evolve with you.

Pretty good system

Reviewed on 12/2/2019

Overall it’s been a good software. We didn’t have an app before so we don’t have another system to compare it too but it has been great for updates for parents

Pros

I like the alerts parents receive as well as able to send photos

Cons

Software doesn’t work easily on all devices. Sometimes issues with it going down

Response from Smartcare

Thank you for your feedback. It is our pleasure to provide your Center with Smartcare & our Smartcare Software Resources!

Fred J.
  • Industry: Music

Mostly Happy

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Overall it’s been good. There are things that I suggest that I feel can make it better and I look forward to seeing those changes.

Pros

It’s makes things easier for me being that I am in a different state then my business.

Cons

I don’t like when the system goes down or causes issues the day after updates.

Response from Smartcare

Fred,

Emily B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Smart Everything Care

Reviewed on 9/10/2019

As a staff member, it was super helpful with each specific child and their needs and their communication. As a parent, it is a stress eliminator that I can see every function of my baby in the daycare.

Pros

I LOVE that this software interfaces with both staff and parents. It has been a game changer for communication within the daycare setting.

Cons

I do not like the lag that sometimes happens within the software that limits the ability to see/read comments in a timely manner, or post appropriate things in a timely manner.

Response from Smartcare

Hi Emily!
Thank you so much for your positive feedback and comments. We are grateful that you appreciate our software and that is helping your daycare communicate with staff and parents!

Barbara O.

We have been using Smartcare for 6 months and love it!

Reviewed on 13/7/2018

Pros

Our parents love the ease of checking in/out and paying online. I also appreciate that Smartcare takes the software to a point of considering payroll, clocked in hours, and sends reminders when there are updates.

Cons

I am finding that I miss the ease of printing our attendance records, misc forms that we often use (which our previous program provided), and having a paper version available for print...

Response from Smartcare

Barbara,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback!
We are so happy to hear that you love SmartCare and your clients love the ease of checking in/out and paying online features of our software.

We're positively elated to be able to provide our Customers with all the features we offer and continue to improve week by week - with updates and new features! and that's why we value your comments.

At Smartcare we're happy to be able to deliver our software to your Preschool. We expect to continue to update our software to meet your needs and continuing to provide your business with Tomorrow's Childcare Technology - Today! Our goal is always to exceed your Center's Software needs as we grow and evolve with you.

Christi H.

I had great experience in the beginning especially getting help with getting it going.

Reviewed on 10/7/2018

Pros

its kind of easy to set up and get the basic of everything going. Having parents pay online. I just wish all of parents would provide a email.

Cons

The way parents log their children in and out is the most confusing for our parents. They never hit the circle or they never hit done. With it saying login or logout it just confuses them more. Maybe you need to rethink this process?

Response from Smartcare

Christi,

Thank you so much for your feedback!

We are so happy to hear that you had a great experience with our software and you found it easy to set up and get the basic of everything going.

We're positively delighted to be able to provide our Customers with all of the features we offer and continue to improve week by week - with updates and new features! and that is why we value your comments.

Smartcare is very happy to be able to deliver our software to your Center and we look forward to continuing to provide your business with Tomorrow's Childcare Technology - Today! Our goal is always to exceed your Center's Software needs as we grow and evolve with you.

Annette K.

Give Smartcare a Try

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Ease of access for parents and staff. Real time information.

Pros

Smartcare is very user friendly and the developers are willing to work through center needs and take them into account for future updates.

Cons

It isn't quite as robust with customization as we would like.

Response from Smartcare

Anette,

Michelle G.

I feel like Smartcare does not offer all the features and functionality that CCM has.

Reviewed on 10/7/2018

families get to pay online

Pros

Parents will be able to pay online.
Families and Employee can sign in and out on one Kiosk
Families have 3 different options to sign their children in and out

Cons

No teacher app
Some functions are ONLY on the iPad and not on the desktop
Needs more features for employees timecards (to be able to submit sick or vacation time)
No notifications for teachers to know if parents never "signed a child in or out"
Parents can not register through SMS
Families can not share one email address
Parents can not send teachers messages on the parent app to communicate between home and school

Patricia E.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Smartcare is smart!

Reviewed on 26/10/2018

The benefits are that I'm having time saved. Also, I can look at the program any time of the day and know how many children are in for the day. I've been very pleased.

Pros

After getting Smartcare set up it works itself as long as it's used. I was spending a long time on collecting money each week but Smartcare does the work for me!

Cons

I was uncomfortable in the beginning because I need to see something work. The tuition came and I knew it did but I had to double check the work for a month before I was comfortable knowing the work was getting done. I'm now learning to "trust."

Response from Smartcare

Patricia,

Danielle D.

delightful, easy for the most part.

Reviewed on 13/7/2018

Pros

I like the overall ease of use for this product. It took a while to work out some bugs, but now that we have gotten a new tablet it seems to work better.

Cons

I feel like it requires updates to often. I also think our parents feel the same way. Several of them seem to lost interest in using the sign in/out portion of the app.

Response from Smartcare

Danielle,

Thank you so much for your great feedback!
We are so glad to hear that you have had a delightful experience with our software.

SmartCare is very happy to be able to deliver our software to your Preschool and that is why we appreciate your comments so we can continue to improve week by week .

We look forward to continuing to provide your Preschool with Tomorrow's Childcare Technology - Today! Our goal is and is going to be always to exceed your business's Software needs as we grow and evolve with you.

Amy B.

I am new to Smartcare so I'm still figuring it all out. The parents are very excited about...

Reviewed on 10/7/2018

I hope to spend less time gathering tuition. Currently, I spend 5-6 hours a day at my desk when tuition is due.

Pros

I like the number of different reports. I think I will use this feature quite a bit. The parents seem most excited about the parent app and sign-in kiosk. Both are easy to use.

Cons

The same information seems to be in more than one place. It seems a bit redundant. As I said before I am new to the software so my opinion may change, but the tuition plans are limited. We charge tuition every 4 weeks. Therefore, I had to set it up as a weekly plan even though it's not due every week. This is confusing my parents. I haven't found a way to change the due dates. Is there one?

Response from Smartcare

Amy,
Thank you so much for your review on SmartCare! We truly appreciate the feedback from our clients, as it is instrumental to our mutual growth and continued success.
We're positively elated to be able to provide our Customers with all the features we offer and continue to improve week by week - with updates and new features! that's why we value your comments.
At SmartCare our goal is always to exceed your Center's Software needs as we grow and evolve with you.

Cheryl L.

Smartcare for Childcare

Reviewed on 30/10/2018

Overall my experience with Smartcare has been a positive one. We're still new to it and trying to figure everything out. I believe once we learn everything we can do with it that it will be a great asset to our business.

Pros

I like that it brings many aspects of childcare record keeping together into one program.

Cons

I find it hard sometimes to locate the function I am looking for. I like the shortest route to what I am trying to do.

Response from Smartcare

Cheryl,

Lyndsey W.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Optimistic

Reviewed on 26/10/2018

I don't have enough training. The person training me, I was notified by email she was no longer with the company and called for more help was told they'd call me the next day to continue training and never got called. So I'm left with a program I don't know how to use!

Pros

Great program. Lots of ways to stay in contact with family.

Cons

Lots of steps. To do one thing you have to go through a million other places to get to it.

Response from Smartcare

Lyndsey,

Elizabeth C.

Just not pleased.

Reviewed on 26/10/2018

Very nice interactions with salesperson and support staff … the product just isn't what we expected.

Pros

Online payment option for families. QR scan code is great!

Cons

Classroom navigation - too many steps for simple daily tasks. Parent app is not visually pleasing. Not enough options for tracking staff benefits (vacation and sick time).

Response from Smartcare

Elizabeth,

Verlina A.

Always expanding. Needs more ability to sort but parents like the features.

Reviewed on 10/7/2018

Pros

Parents like features.
Like being able to switch kids from class to class.
Parents can make payment on own through app

Cons

Cannot sort lists or select the information wanted without printing ban entire report. Reports take up too many pages when could print on 1.

Response from Smartcare

Verlina,

Thank you very much for your review on SmartCare! We truly appreciate the feedback from our clients, as it is instrumental to our mutual growth and continued success.

Heather C.
  • Industry: Accounting

There are a few things I would change for our own center but as in a center it is a FABULOUS...

Reviewed on 24/10/2017

Ease of use. More time in the classroom rather than the office!

Pros

Ease of use, only the reports are difficult to understand but it's easy to use for the most part. I like that I can look it up from any computer!

Cons

I don't like that I can't easily move kids around the center. I also don't like that the apps are only web base my teacher use their own phones because that's easier than the web app

Response from SmartCare

Heather,

Thank you very much for your review on SmartCare!

Our Apps are separate from our web portal logins. Hopefully - that is a seamless experience and process for your Center and staff.

As always, we encourage our clients to reach out to their Customer Success Manager for your questions, suggestions and requests for assistance.

I am also available to assist you - anytime.

Please let me know if there is anything we can do to improve our Software and Services.

We want to make sure that your Center continues to have a positive experience!

SmartCare - Sales & Marketing Account Executive

Kelly S.

The program is easy to use for parents and easy to access information and collect payments.

Reviewed on 10/7/2018

Easily accessible info, easy to collect payments and send statements

Pros

I like how it is user friendly. It is easy to access information, bill, collect payments and have an overall system that is easy for parents, teachers and administrators to use.

Cons

I have not found anything yet. We like the program and are still discovering the ins and outs of it.

Response from Smartcare

Kelly,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback!

We are so glad to hear that you have found our software user friendly, easy to access information and have an overall system that is easy for parents, teachers and administrators .

We're positively very happy to be able to provide our Customers with all of the features we offer and continue to improve week by week - with updates and new features! SmartCare is very happy to be able to deliver our software to your School. We appreciate your business and we expect to continue to update our software to meet your needs.

We look forward to continuing to provide your Institution with Tomorrow's Childcare Technology-Today!.