1,243 reviews

Procare Desktop

Windows-based childcare management system

4.6 /5 (1243 reviews) Write a Review!

1,243 reviews
Sherrie D.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Unfortunate investment of time and money

Reviewed on 17/1/2020

Overall I think the core and idea of procare is beneficial but ONLY if it works. Can't use a product if it is continually locking up.

Pros

This has a great foundation of ideas. Student check in/out, Employee check in/out, billings, time tracking, payroll, general ledger. Truly an all in one for a small preschool. Too good to be true for sure!

Cons

The cloud base software clearly has issues they can not fix. Our check in computers are constantly locking up since the last update in November 2019. After using the same computers and hardware for 5.5 months they ran an update and now problems. We manually key in employees and students often which is time consuming because the computers are locked up at the time parents are picking up or dropping off. Tech support is NONRESPONSIVE to emails and hold times are on average of 35-45 minutes when calling tech support. They said today it is because they are "swamped". That speaks volumes, that means their product ISN'T working. They have been "working on patches to fix this" but in the mean time they have used the excuse it was because I wasn't hard wired to the internet. After the expense of hiring someone to run the wire and hardwire all of the computers they still are locking up. Now Procare support wants me to replace the router because it maybe causing problems. Cutting my losses at this point. A lot of time invested in a software that locks up frequently through out the day.

Training is horrible and much of my experience has been self guided. They do have an extensive online resource which is very helpful but yet time consuming as you navigate which article you really need. When training is scheduled it has been late and limited to one function of the software. When asking about other functions you are directed to schedule training for that specifically.

Response from Procare Software

Sherrie - We're very sorry to hear about on-going issues with the check-in system at your preschool. This appears to be a unique situation and we will work with you individually to resolve it. It's true that January is typically the busiest month for technical support; it can be easier to reach us later in the day (after 2:00 p.m. Pacific) or to email a request to [email protected] As to training, we are happy to get you whatever help you may need. We will reach out soon to see how we can help.

Chalayne P.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Procare is the best over other softwares I've tried

Reviewed on 11/9/2019

Collections and Tuition Express has been a blessing, almost EVERY parent Has been impressed with the idea that we can take a debit or credit card they can also login in the evenings after they've taken care of their families and pay their bill or check on tomorrow's schedule it's made our life easier. I like to work smater vs harder and thus totally fits in to with us.

Pros

I love just about everything in this software it is so efficient. Covers all my bases for the business side of things and customer service side of things. I've dealt with other softwares in my career at least 4 and this is the best. I can't see me ever changing software again. I use it for everything and there still Room to grow. I still need to learn things that I'm not using to the fullest, so I got more than my money's worth. I highly recommend that you give it a whirl. I don't think oe see anyone being disappointed. The support team there for us is truly AMAZING. THANK YOU Procare!!

Cons

Learning or trying any new software is difficult and a nightmare in itself. Y
This was not a nightmare and I have more to learn and it's already doing so much for me. If that's what I like the least I'm doing really good.

Tiffani W.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

It's a good product

Reviewed on 1/8/2019

When I call I typically get good customer service.

Pros

I like the ability to automate billing based on contracts that are setup...and reconciling payments to the accounts immediately upon payment.

Cons

- The interface for the desk product is very antiquated
- I'd prefer the option to print the 'application' for my files. Currently we still use a paper form and I type everything into Procare because all of the fields and information I need isn't available online. I want a completely online registration process.
- I want to capture student photos directly from procare using my laptop instead of having to import/upload photos
- I want an app to communicate with parents. I currently upload all my parents to Remind and use that technology to communicate with parents.
- I purchased a unit for parents to be able to sign the students in and we never got it to work properly so we are still doing a manual/paper sign in process.

Felicia H.

So Helpful!

Reviewed on 13/4/2021

Overall experience is wonderful. I am very pleased with Procare Desktop

Pros

I love the convenience this software offers. It is very user friendly and helps me save so much time throughout the work week.

Cons

Sometimes we have troubles after software updates and that causes some inconvenience. I do not like having to relog back in each time I leave my computer for a bit because I am the only one in my office, but I understand the reasons behind it for security purposes.

Casey T.

Decent basic functionality, but limited application

Reviewed on 25/7/2019

Serves a limited purpose, but is falling behind. We may start looking elsewhere

Pros

The system is easy to use for basic functions- child attendance, billing, child info tracking, basic reports.

Cons

Procare seems to be trying to expand functionality to different applications (Kids Report, etc). However, their core offerings are dated and have had few improvements to make them more functional. I submit requests for functionality, but few things ever change. Here are my top items to change, that would improve the system:

Basic:
1. Mail merge document is terrible and incredibly limited. I should be able to create a licensing-compliant registration form for parents, which includes emergency contacts, allergies, medical insurance number, etc.
2. Staff timecards are poorly designed. After years of using the timecards, we stopped. Using our payroll providers timecards are a far superior experience. Editing timecards was awful, building in automation was challenging, and the check in/out was a poor experience.
3. The user interface using two different codes is onerous. All other systems we use has just one login pin.
4. There is no data viewer report to access all info in the SQL database. To create a simple pre-filled registration code, I have to download numerous data viewer reports, combine them, manipulate data, and then mail merge into a document. It's almost not worth it.
5. MyProcare is pretty terrible. It looks like a 2005 UI, has limited functionality, you can't update your own information, and customization is poor

Advanced:
1. There is no API to access the SQL backend. Without integration, it severely limits what we can do with the system.

Connie R.

Saving time, saves money

Reviewed on 12/7/2019

Overall, Procare has been amazing and provided us with prompt and effective support. We've been with them through all the different stages of software development.

Pros

It provides an attendance record that allows me to stay on top of building census. It also allows me to process tuition on just a few clicks. It works with our door strike security

Cons

The software update that was done last year did not work with the Procare interface and crashed our computer. Procare offered to send us a new video card that would fix the issue however the expense of a technician to repair it is on us. The alternative is to mail them the device and to go without a check-in station(which also allows access to our security system and unlocks the door for parents.) This options had a 2 week turn around in which our program would have no way to secure our door to the center. Additionally, I do not like that when they change software or Hardware, it is the customers responsibility to absorb the loss of the use of outdated equipment . The initial investment is not cheap and the updates are absolutely mandatory, to mainitain functionality. Also, the number of seats you need to run your business can vary based on how much of their products you use. everything has a cost. This cost does not include equipment that you need, it just is the ability to access your software that you are already paying for.

Sheryl M.

The right switch

Reviewed on 22/7/2019

Overall I love the easy access to all the help. Anything I may not understand how to do I can quickly search and find get explanation on how to complete the steps. Also the help desk is very quick to respond via email or telephone wit answers and even help walk me through steps.

Pros

I love the organization of having all products in the same program window. The set up and implementation was very simple. You could make things as simple or complex as you need. Tuition Express has made the process for payments of tuition the smoothest its ever been. Parents love going to the portal to make payments at their convenience.

Cons

I wish that when you were selecting GL accounts that you could search by alpha characters and not just numbers in all areas. Also wish that you could check balances on the budget by account more quickly than the current process. In our previous system (ACS) we had an area that we could just type the GL number or name and it would pull up the account showing the current balance, current budget amount, and all expenses that had come out on a screen. The current process is very time consuming to pull this.

Marissa S.
  • Industry: Food Production

Great as a parent or director

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

Overall, if you're looking for a central place to organize all the many things that come with childcare, this is the best product on the market that I'm aware of.

Pros

I first used Procare as a parent in my infant son's childcare center. It was easy to check him in and out by having an ID and password number and I loved that I could see my balance on our account and get messages from the director of the childcare center.

When I took over at a different center as the director, I was pleased to see they used the same program. Additionally, this center increased the ease of checking in and out by having a fingerprint scanner for parents to check students out and for employees to clock in/out. As a director I could easily see which students were there on the home page and the home page was customizable to what I wanted to see (ex. upcoming staff/child birthdays, children currently checked in, children recently checked in/out etc.). There is another tab where detailed children information is easily inputted and organized as well as an employee tab.

I really haven't seen anything else within childcare systems that has as many options and functions as Procare.

Cons

Some reports can be difficult to find and not, at least to me, logically sequenced. However, I can usually Google to find the answer.
I would love Procare to come out with an app for classroom teachers to access and parents to access where teachers can input students eating records and parents can pay their balance.

Response from Procare Software

Marissa - Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Also, we have good news--parents can pay online through the MyProcare portal--and our KidReports app is perfect for staff to record meals, daily sheet entries, photos, videos and more. See: https://www.procaresoftware.com/products-and-services/services/kidreports/

Monica G.

I've used it for 6.5 years and absolutely LOVE it! Wonderful program, no regrets!

Reviewed on 17/11/2017

Pros

I love Procare's Customer Service! They are so willing to answer questions and help where needed. I appreciate the fact that they are constantly to working to enhance Procare's features which in return benefit us as user.

Cons

The only thing I do not like about Procare is the online waiting list. We have now switched over to MyProcare but there are glitches. They can't put another child on the waiting list if they already have a child enrolled. This makes it hard for expectant mother OR when families can only get one child in at a time. I also don't like how we can't search by DOB. We've had to create personalized questions that allow us to "track" by birth year and it is really hard to do. We need to be able click on an age and have it automatically pull up every child that is that current age. ALSO, once last thing. I HATE that it show children's ages in months. It needs to show it with years and months like on the children's profiles. Stating that a child is 105 months old DOES NOT HELP. :) Other than the waitlist Procare is AMAZING!!!

Response from Procare Software

Monica - Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We appreciate your input on using MyProcare as your online waiting list. One recently added feature we think you'll like is the ability to filter by age -- so you can view just families with children of a certain age.

Julie S.

We love it!

Reviewed on 25/7/2019

It's easy for all of us, although there are many options it is quick and everyone caught on easily. It's been awesome having the accounting pretty much done for me because all the numbers are right there!

Pros

I like how easy it is to use, I like how everything is connected. We have cloud storage so it's so convenient to access from anywhere! It's nice that the employees information is kept in the same place as everything else. There are so many great features that I can't pick a favorite, but I do love being able to see daily numbers ect. The billing is smooth.

Cons

The price. It is so pricey and I know there are other softwares that are cheaper, but I am in love with Procare so the price is something we overlook.

Harry B.

Extremely Satisfied Customer

Reviewed on 18/7/2019

Before I had Procare care is was a huge task to keep abreast of all the information needed to effectively run my business. Tracking a record here and another there was too cumbersome. Procare has combine all these different records into one program that's really easy to use. This makes managing my business really easy.

Pros

Procare makes my job easier by organizing child information, tracking attendance, especially helpful for keeping children records such as shots and medical information. I am also pleased that Procare helps my company to track employee attendance and the finger print sign in has been an extremely helpful. Thank you Procare you are my life made easier.

Cons

Should provide follow up training for customers until they feel comfortable enough to be on their own.

Response from Procare Software

Hi Harry, we are so happy to hear that you are enjoying Procare Software and all of the features available to your business.
We pride ourselves on our Customer Support and Training. Please reach out to our team if you and your child care center would like additional training or education on using the platform.

Teresa R.

Procare a great program for busy Early Childhood Centers!

Reviewed on 12/7/2017

Makes my work easier and faster!

Pros

There are several things that I love about this program. 1st is the attendance tracking to see total hours of care for each child and 2nd how I can see how many children are in attendance at any given time. 3rd is the tracking for immunizations is so helpful to make sure my children are up to date. 4th is keeping up with tuition fees and how easy it is to see who owes what.

Cons

Occasionally when I am adding a family it won't let them sign in and I have to redo it. Also in the weekly report section I don't like that if someone is out they are not shown on report at all. I would rather see there name and 0 hours than not even show them on the report.

Response from Procare Software

Teresa - Thank you for sharing the many ways Procare helps your center! On most attendance reports, it's true that if a child doesn't attend at all, their name would not be on the report¿but there is a report you may find useful. It shows any child who was scheduled, but did not attend. You'll find it under Reports > Standard Reports > Attendance Tracker > Not in Attendance. And, if you're still having symptoms of having to "redo" something so a family can sign in, please give our Tech Support Team a call. They'll help you solve it. Hope that helps!

Marci J.

Don't Know What I Would Do Without It!

Reviewed on 5/7/2019

Exceptional customer service! Anytime, I can't figure something out or if I mess something up, I know that the staff with promptly and kindly help me. No recorded voice message, just real live people. This is ProCare's strongest feature!

Pros

ProCare is the heartbeat of managing our center. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have ProCare. Everything from managing our parent accounts to knowing who is at our center is all at a fingertips reach. Any time I need a report on something I simply click a few buttons. There are so many features in ProCare that after 12 years, I still don't know all of them.

Cons

In any software program there will always be better and easier ways to pull up a report or put information into the system. What I like about ProCare is that they are always open to hearing what the user needs and they are constantly making the program easier to use. I wish that ProCare would make it easier to take and put in parent pictures. This is a time consuming process that could be streamlined with a procare camera connected straight to the program.

Jennifer S.

Does its job

Reviewed on 10/5/2019

Procare offers a lot of organization for childcare providers. However, I believe many of their options are outdated. I get the impression that Procare doesn't always know what their users want.

Pros

Easy to enter, sort, filter information. Makes accepting credit cards and running automatic payments fairly simple.

Cons

-It would be great if reports were more customizable and if you were able to save more than one set of filters for reports
-Online accounts for Tuition Express do not update automatically, and payment processing is usually a day behind due to east/west coast differences, which is extremely confusing for payments
-With so many family dynamics, it should be easier to offer separate ledger cards for students even with the same payers
-Procare does not warn you when it is not connected. You appear to be online and then when trying to do something (like take a payment) you are informed that you are not connected. It takes a good 3-5 minutes to restart the program (there is no option to simply reconnect) which is frustrating when you have a parent waiting.

Amanda D.

The best product out there.....

Reviewed on 28/6/2019

Not only does it keep track of billing, but it also can keep child records, staffing, and we now TEXT alert parents, for no additional charge!!

Pros

When starting out as the director, everything was overwhelming - State, USDA, ODJFS, Health Department, Fire code.....This program was AMAZING! Everything to run your program in one simple format! If I ever get confused or can not remember how to do something, the Procare software site is there to help! With not only written directions, but how to videos! We had a virus that wiped out our ENTIRE program (from our side) the Procare team did everything to help me get it back up and running, and suggested the cloud - so it would never happen again. They also called a few weeks out to see if I had any questions, or needed any additional help! Excellent customer service! They are also continually adding new programming that you can add on too!

Cons

Nothing....the option to remote access even at home is amazing to me!

Karen B.

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Pros

I like that the customer support team is so friendly and helpful when I call and have a "dumb" question. They never make me feel like I am dumb! I also like the web support because often I can go on there and get my question answered without calling in!

Cons

We stopped using the time clock because it was too slow. When we have 30 employees clocking in and having to enter 2, 4 -digit codes by the time they were half way through the last half were showing up tardy when they really weren't. We found a system that had one 3 digit code that was much faster.

Response from Procare Software

Karen - We're glad to hear you've found the Support Team so friendly and helpful. According to our records, it looks like you have an older, stylus-based Time Clock from many years ago. We've made significant improvements in this area and now offer a biometric Procare Touch computer for checking in and out with built-in fingerprint recognition. This is a much quicker and more efficient way for families and staff to check in. Or you can simply add a USB fingerprint reader to your existing computer. For details, see: https://www.procaresoftware.com/products-and-services/check-in-solutions-overview/.

Shannon F.

Reliable, Comprehensive Product

Reviewed on 3/8/2019

This product has been amazing and customer service/support has been reliable and helpful as I learned the system. The tutorials are fabulous and I would highly recommend the software.

Pros

Payroll through Procare is my favorite feature, but every aspect of the software is amazing. I can track full time enrollment hours, watch from my dashboard my “live” ratios so I can make staffing adjustments as needed. I am able to quickly provide my customers receipts and track data with a variety of forms available to my email through the system.

Cons

The system is so comprehensive that it s difficult to learn all of the aspects. What I use the most was very easy to learn, but I know there is more that I can use - it is just so vast that I don’t have enough time to learn it all.

Tori W.

Best investment I could have ever made for my business

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Streamlining my office data reconciliation.

Pros

This software is so intuitive. It has Everything I need to run my business and be able to spend more time in the classroom instead of on my PC. I love the fact the software is set up to purchase only what you need. There is so much to learn however between the amazing youtube channel and customer service you are never without support as you learn to navigate this software and customize it for your specific needs. One of the customer rep was my initial point of contact answering tons of questions as I decided if the Procare software system was right for my in home group child care needs. It was had everything I was looking for and my clients love the system too, no more clipboards full of sign-in sheets falling all over the floor and needing to be stored for years taking up space. Now i'm growing into a new center and was ready to streamline my tuition processing I looked at what I spend now and it appears I will be actually saving by processing via Tuition Express! I have been working with another customer rep and once again all of my question and concerns were addressed, she supported me through the entire application process. I could not be happier knowing that my data is safe and secure with ProCare.

Heather C.

Reviewed on 23/7/2019

We use procare to enter all of the family information. We use it to tack payments for childcare services. Within this program we print class rosters, birthday lists, e-mail lists, checklist for attendance and more.

Pros

I like the layout and I like that it is easy to search for support tips when I need them.

Cons

I am not sure what the difference was between procare software and procare cloud. We switched over and pay a monthly fee but nothing changed as far as the use of the program is concerned.

Shelly N.

Procare keeps everything organized and efficient

Reviewed on 14/6/2018

Pros

Ease of use- I basically played around and learned the software on my own with the use of Procare's video classes. The classes walk you through every step and you can walk along with them using your software at the same time. Customer support is phenominal. They are always at hand and stay with you through the process of handling what ever your question/issue may be. Upgrading is easy as well.

Cons

I wish it was easier to figure out specifically tayloring the way we charge our families to fit the program. For the most part it is in there, but our sytem of charging is unusal .

Response from Procare Software

Shelly - It's great to hear how much the video lessons have helped and about your positive experiences with our support staff. On the billing side, Procare can handle a wide variety of situations from hourly to half/full day, to extra hours and late pickup fees, along with weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly rates. We even write custom formulas, as needed, for unique situations. We'd be happy to review the billing setup with you to ensure things are working in the most efficient way.

Luann W.

Exceptionally valuable tool!

Reviewed on 25/7/2019

I love the option of finger print or clock in numbers. This is nice because some people do not care for remembering numbers all the time. It has helped with people signing in and out.

Pros

I love the ease of using this program! They put you and your centers needs first and always are helpful in guiding you through problems that may occur. The Pro Care program is an exceptionally organized system and I am so glad we chose this program!!

Cons

I can't think of anything that I don't like about this program. I love the timeclock feature of either having

Laurie W.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

overall good!

Reviewed on 29/7/2019

Pros

Billing and keeping track of timesheets for children and our employees. The email system is great. I do use some of the reports for our parents too, they are nice, but a little confusing to figure out which one you need.

Cons

We seem to have alot of 'fingerprint' issues. We set them up and it works for a day or two, then stops. Some parents have to be re-registered several times. Sometimes we end up giving them a code. Not great consistency with the check in station. It is also very hard to make changes in a child's account for days/hour during the year.

Response from Procare Software

Laurie - It's great that you find the billing and timesheet features so helpful. As to fingerprint issues that should not be something that happens on an on-going basis. We'll have someone from our support team reach out to you for troubleshooting.

Sharon M.

Reviewed on 10/8/2019

Great.

Pros

The variety of tools that are available with one software program. Technical support and Training is very helpful.

Question: Why was Early Care, Child Care or Education not listed under Industry?

We would be open to making suggestions on ease of use.

Cons

Exporting reports would be easier if excel could be used.

It would be great if the Attendance software would automatically reset if parents forget to 'check out their children before the start of a new day.

Claudia B.

Practical and easy to use

Reviewed on 14/5/2019

We use Procare to administer our families database and accounting.

Pros

I love the functionality of this software and how practical it is. The reports also come very handy.

Cons

We can't see from the preview if the numbers listed for the parents or guardians are cell phones or work numbers. I have to double click on the family name to be able to see it.

Candace H.

I couldn't do my job without it!

Reviewed on 14/8/2019

It continues to change and improve over the years. Each time I have had to call for tech support, usually because of a strange Windows update, they are amazing. It is worth every penny. It was one of the first things I did as a Director in a new program.

Pros

Procare organizes what I need to do in a fast and easy way. it has everything I need to accomplish right there for me in one software and I am able to get my office work done in one easy management program for my entire program. The desk top screen was wonderful when I worked in a larger school and now that I am in a smaller school where I am the Accountant, Director, and everything in between - I couldn't do it without this software.

Cons

It is not always easy for small programs to afford but you can select and add on services if you needed. Getting it approved and passes through spending boards is not easy but worth it.