Revel Systems Reviews

3.7/5
3.4/5

PHIL
  • Industry: Hospitality

Revel POS--a powerful tool for hospitality and retail

Reviewed on 16/6/2016

Revel Systems POS is a very powerful tool that is well-supported, constantly undergoing updates and improvements (and that our salesman and installer have been very easy to work with!) I have generally found tech support to be responsive and they have usually always helped me resolve any issues.

Pros

The retail, restaurant and quick service platforms that we use in our establishments are designed with those unique industries in mind, and the system is powerful enough to handle close to 10K inventory items in retail; dozens of employees in retail and restaurant establishments; and even a quick service environment where hard-wired Internet service is not feasible. We have had a great experience with our salesman, installer and tech support throughout our relationship with Revel.

Cons

The off-the-shelf Revel POS system is not a custom system made to a customer's exact specifications, although Revel does offer that service for additional cost. Customers should know what their needs are before implementing the system. The system is based on a columnar, spreadsheet, model, and for many installations that may result in the user interface having several layers of menu screens that need to be negotiated in order to retrieve a menu item. The system is pretty flexible, however, and offers the means to work with a huge number of inventory items in a wide variety of platforms (hospitality, retail, mobile.)

Kiera
  • Industry: Restaurants

Amazing features and functionality for accurate business analysis

Reviewed on 24/7/2018

Give your customer service agents at your call centers raises! I have spent dozens of hours on the phone and talked to numerous people from all over and every single one of them has surpassed all expectations of product knowledge and customer service! That makes a world of difference!

Pros

The features from a business owner's perspective are unparalleled. Everything is totally customizable tofu the specific and unique needs of individual businesses. The customer service alone makes this worth the money. I have never looked forward to calling customer service before, but the training of the employees of not just product knowledge, but also customer service is absolutely unmatched.

Cons

I have three specific areas of opportunity for Revel.
1) Taking payments of split checks (especially when one guest leaves earlier than others) is the worst system of any modern systems I have ever worked with. After splitting the checks, it is impossible to change the way you split the items if one guest has already paid and left. This really needs to be addressed if the product is going to be marketed to full service restaurants that have to deal with split payments on almost every party of 3 or more.
2) While I appreciate its modern focus, it is not easy to work with if a restaurant still uses paper gift certificates.
3) We were a "Guinea Pig" test restaurant for a salesman that had never worked with Revel before. He provided absolutely no help at all in setting up the system as he didn't know much about it himself. Even after he got back from training, he had to call customer service to answer simple questions I had. For such a complex and intricate system, there should be protocols in place for better training of the people selling it to be able to set it up for the customers.

Emily

Full of Glitches

Reviewed on 7/11/2016

We've been with Revel for about 8 months now. I am on the phone with customer support weekly, nearly daily. Our initial integration with Quickbooks was not well supported by their staff and eventually I had to just teach myself how to get the system set up and integrated. We have constantly had issues that when I contact customer service they tell me they don't know why it happened and it must be a glitch in the software. My credit card machine broke after 7 months and Revel could not figure out how to fix it so I called the manufacturer and they told me it was a software issue. Revel's solution was to trade in for a new one, rather than try to figure out what the software issue was. The first customer service agent I spoke to did not even have the manual for the pin pad that I was using.

Multiple times Revel has stopped speaking to Quickbooks without warning and our data has not been pushed through as it should. I've been told that the exchange feature that is built in to the front end of the system does not actually work and so we should stop using it and do a work around so that our entries into Quickbooks will be correct. My completed invoices have gotten stuck between the Ipad and the back office and the payments have therefore not been received into Quickbooks until I discovered the problem. Revel has multiple times overtaken Quickbooks and changed the vendor information in Quickbooks. After multiple phone calls to customer support for a single issue I've eventually been told that my system is out of date and that's what's causing the problem, but it was never brought up in initial phone calls. In the same vein, there is no indication from Revel that I should update the system. In fact for the last update, the app told me that it was the most up to date, but finally on the back end of Revel there was a warning that I needed to update or my system would be obsolete. In fact I was running the most up to date version of the app, but what needed to be done was to download an entirely new app-that was not made clear in Revel's warning, I just happened to figure it out myself. Furthermore, had I not happened to log into Revel's back end on that particular day, I would not have known that I was required to update.

One day the back office stopped sending our daily emailed reports. When I spoke to customer support they told me that it was because the email addresses where the report was sent were separated by commas and not semi-colons. When I mentioned that the commas had been working for 7 months they told me that it was due to an update on their back end that now required semi-colons. When asked how I was supposed to know that and change it I was told that it had been a "known issue" for over a month and that some businesses had a problem and some didn't so they didn't let customers know about the issue.

With all the issues I've had, I've never been able to speak to a supervisor or had any kind of conciliatory gesture like a reduced price made for me and in fact had to pay shipping to and from returning my credit card machine. When I speak to customer service about issues related to Quickbooks integration, they are not trained on Quickbooks so generally cannot help me.

Overall the system is extremely glitchy and inconsistent. It cannot be counted on to work the same way from day to day.

Pros

-When it works it is more robust and better at speaking to Quickbooks than any other POS systems that we've used.

Cons

There are many, many issues that I can't explain because it works fine one day and not at all the next, with no reason.
-Past POS companies have emailed me monthly updates about changes that are coming and information about updating the app or problems that have been discovered. Revel does no such thing.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Emily,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced frustration with the QuickBooks integration. I've looked into your support ticket history and it looks like support has resolved your most recent ticket. Additionally, in reviewing your QuickBooks support history with a QB Support Specialist, it appears that our sync has paused most frequently following deletion or removal of QuickBooks records, which the system references. This would be true with any accounting and point-of-sale integration and we recommend that customers do not delete Revel created accounts or records. In an effort to resolve this, our next release will include an enhancement where Revel and QuickBooks notify each other of deleted records to prevent syncing issues.

We send emails alerting customers about coming updates and features and it may be that you've accidentally unsubscribed.

I've asked our Client Relations team to reach out to you to resolve any outstanding issues and provide you with additional customer service. Thank you for your feedback.

Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Debra
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Revel POS system

Reviewed on 27/6/2023

Same system used for different areas of our business where we had different POS systems in past. Easier for administration, bookeeping, etc.

Pros

Offers both retail and restaurant versions of software that works for our company, which includes a retail operation (winery & brewery) as well as a separate cafe operation.

Cons

"CRM" customer management is lacking on the management side; purchase reporting only available for periods of 12 months rather than entire history for customer. Reports auto load prior to dates being entered; spend a lot of time waiting for a report to load to then enter actual period wanted for report.Features removed during updates (no longer have receipt option when comping items; for winery/brewery operations we comp out bottles used for tastings on a daily basis and used these receipts routinely, only to have the feature disappear with an update).Quite expensive for our seasonal business; we need several stations during busy months but have to pay quite a bit even when several are not used during slow months.

Jim
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Excellent System that Works Great

Reviewed on 30/10/2017

We have had others system and this just works great for us. It has a pretty good inventory system and a host of reports. The key is its makes the sales process easy. I have no problem giving Revel a strong recommendation.

Pros

Our company is the merchandise concessionaire for Athletic Events at Army West Point and we are big fans of the Revel System. At our latest game, we had 11 stands and were able to push through almost 2000 transactions in a little over four hours. The system has worked flawless for us and our gross sales is up over 20% this season because of the ease of sales. We added a scanner and the fans love it. Combined with a strong credit card provider we have our sales available for us usually in 48 hours. The system works for us in many locations on batteries and its Verizon wi-fi is very good. If we have wi-fi trouble on site with a large crowd...it holds transaction and puts it through when the wi-fi is up. Our staff...not big techies...has had NO problems after expressing a feeling that the system would make it hard for customers to be serviced. We are big fans because it is helping our business. We now do almost four to one credit cards over cash purchases.

Cons

You will find Revel is a little more expensive than other systems. They also make a decent profit on the hardware. But it is clearly you get what you pay for....when you have great service and a strong working system....you have to pay. This is a professional system.

Revel POS Systems for Restaurants

Reviewed on 15/12/2023

Revel kept deducting fees from our checking account for 2 months AFTER we closed our business! We informed them in advance of the sale of our business so that there were no surprises. We are a small mom & pop business and needed those funds. The new [sensitive content hidden] did not like the Revel system at all and went to Toast POS instead. We have been unable to be reimbursed for the months that we were closed and [sensitive content hidden] who processes the credit cards has ignored our requests. He has made plenty of money from us and yet continued to deduct money out of our account.

Pros

Not much. Poor customer service and follow up.

Cons

Difficult training the staff all the nuisances in learning the system. Managers also had a difficult time with the reports.

Leah

Works Well for our Small Business

Reviewed on 2/8/2018

Overall, Revel is a good company. We are a small convenience store at a marina and campground and they are working well for us. One of the reasons we went with Revel is because they have teamed up with Shell Corp. to create an integration for fuel pumps and the Revel point of sales. Revel is the cheapest option on the market, that I was able to find, to be able to offer my customers pay at the pump options. This is still in the works, but they are making steady progress and I am excited for when we can try it out.

Pros

Revel is easy for employees to learn (even the non-tech employees) and to use. They have good updates; they listen to their customers about what is needed and then try to implement it. Our store is an hour away from the main office, and we are able to see the inventory from the office to place orders for the store! The reports are useful, varied and well laid out for ease of reading.

Cons

The integration between QuickBooks Desktop and Revel has been a bit tricky. I wish their support team was a bit better at understanding how the two programs talk to each other. I have found that I need to have the Revel Support team tell me how Revel is supposed to talk to QuickBooks and then I'll have to go to the QuickBooks support or forum to figure out how to set up QuickBooks so that it does what Revel intended.

Chris
Chris

Tons of customizations!

Reviewed on 18/9/2017

No other system had the flexibility to provide what we needed. Customization took months to get sorted out (and I am a network engineer during the day). Despite all the hard ships I couldn't imagine switching again. I still experiment with competitors that have lower fees, however can't match half the features and flexibility I get with Revel.

Pros

The ability to customize the POS
Online ordering built in at decent rate (may be more expensive now)
IPad based (flexibility)
Integrates with many payment processors (heads up on gateway fees)

Cons

Expensive
Seems like they are moving to a la carte pricing structure (more expensive)
Customer Support is based in Philippines, while sometimes good they don't really understand sometimes

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the review! We appreciate your input and it's great to hear you like the flexibility you get with Revel.

Our Support team, however, is no longer based in the Philippines, as of about a year and a half ago. We have U.S. and Lithuanian-based Support now and we have gotten great feedback.

Hope your experiences of late have been great ones.
Cheers,

Santiago

Best and more robust system in the market

Reviewed on 24/2/2018

Pros

The best thing about this System is the easy and intuitive interface. It greatly facilitates the operations of the day and allows us to always work in a better way. It has, also, a number of options and improvements that allow me to adapt to my needs, especially the part of the discounts. They are the best!

Cons

The bad thing is the implementation, being such a complete software it takes a long time to configure all the functions to your liking to work in a better way. However, with practice and patience, it is possible to get ahead.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Santiago,

Thank you so much for the 5-stars! So glad to hear that Revel is working well for your business. Our product team has worked hard to make improvements to the Discount functionality so it's great to hear that you are a fan!

Revel is definitely robust and can take a bit of extra time to configure, but, we agree, that once you get it set up for your business, you will be happy about your decision.

Thank you again!
Cheers,

Julie
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Revel System as Inventory Management

Reviewed on 23/6/2023

Overall experience is good as we are familiar with the system. Revel support is generally helpful when issues require additional assistance/experience to navigate.

Pros

POS interface is intuitive and easy to use and easy to train staff to use in everyday sales operations.

Cons

Revel backend is confusing until one is familiar with abilities. POS interface can prove confusing for processing returns and exchanges of Merchandise. The sales interface can be clunky for processing larger orders.

Craig
  • Industry: Restaurants

Revel Systems for Table Service Lacks VERY VERY VERY Basic Tip Report for Servers

Reviewed on 18/5/2017

Before you buy Revel ask the sales rep to try to print a basic tip report with a server log in prior to batching out at the end of the day. It's not currently possible unless you give your server full financial access.

Pros

Revel Systems syncs with Quickbooks better than any other system I'm aware of. They most often sell the equipment with higher-end networking and wireless access points such as Meraki or Ubiquiti whereas others use residential Netgear, Linksys, or TP Link which jeopardizes the stability of using a tablet as your POS.

Cons

This oversight by Revel is ridiculous. However, are you table service and do you need your servers or other employees to take credit card tips out of the cash drawer at the end of their shift? Or leave a receipt in the drawer of how much they took out? If so it's not currently possible with Revision 2.22.9-61 or below for a server to print a basic tip report (unless you give them full financial access which includes labor rates for all other employees.). The iPad assigns the tip to whoever pays out the ticket when the customer leaves. So if your host uses his or her pin to close the ticket and the customer adds a tip that ticket is then assigned to the host rather than the waiter or waitress that helped them on the front end of revel. Furthermore, the manager can't even see a server's tips to pay out the credit card tips accurately from iPad until he or she has batched out at the end of the day. The only solution after two years of trying to remedy this situation for CajunKitchenCafe.com is to pull the report from a laptap on the backend after the point of sale has been batched at the end of the day or put the credit card tips on the employees paycheck which is a huge change to culture for most restaurants that have been in business for as long as Cajun Kitchen.

Meghan
  • Industry: Restaurants

Extremely overpriced fees and disappointing system!

Reviewed on 11/8/2017

Pros

It looks nice and sleek on the counter. The actual POS is pretty straight forward after training and most employees caught on quickly.

Cons

Where to start?? First, the monthly fees are insane considering the poor quality of the product and customer service. For two locations and three terminals, we paid fees to Revel each month.
We've experienced a lot of equipment issues (tickets not printing to kitchen, card swipe goes down, mobile unit won't connect and allow orders to be taken, etc) oftentimes in the middle of a lunch rush.
We have at least 2 customers every single day tell us that the online ordering isn't working. The system will look like it took their order (and they'll see pending charges on their cards), but they'll either get an error message or nothing at all. We often have people show up to pick up the order they placed online only to realize that it never came through on our system, but Revel still posts the charges as pending and it doesn't drop off the card for 3 days....not a fun thing to tell customers!
We have not had a great experience with customer service, and often end up on the phone for over an hour (again, often during a lunch rush). We've had several instances where no one was ever able to answer our issue.
Our accountants (who exclusively do restaurants) have found errors in reports (including tax reports for the day) multiple times.
Overall, this system just doesn't live up to the quality that should come with such high fees.
I called and emailed to put in our notice of cancellation at the end of our 18-month contract (they require 30 days, I put in my written notice 60 days, since their team hasn't been super responsive), I at first would get no response. When I finally did they told me that I couldn't put in my request until 30 days, which just seemed odd to me.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Meghan,

I know we have already spoken over the phone about this, but I do apologize for your experience. It sounds like you encountered a known issue with the Online Ordering that has since been fixed. I apologize as I know how frustrating that can be when you are in the midst of service.

We do appreciate your feedback and, again, apologize that we weren't able to work on a resolution for you sooner.

Best regards,
Sarah, Community Manager at Revel

Gary

WORST POS EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!

Reviewed on 17/3/2018

Not in mixed company

Not in mixed company

Pros

It looks nice and professional on our iPad. To look at the homepage, you'd (think) it was a sophisticated system.

Cons

Rather than crashing the site with my bitter, endless ranting about this POS, (and no, that does not stand for "Point Of Sale"), let me just say this: This is THE most unintuitive system we have EVER used. And no, that is not just my opinion. With 6 other employees who use this thing (and 2 of them are former IT professionals), every single one of us agree it is truly the worst. NOTHING is where you would think it should be, and once you find it, you're going to have to go through multiple steps to find what you're looking for. There are multiple ways to perform many functions, but only one of those methods actually work. It's up to you to figure out which way will work. For example, you can hit the "add customer" button but it doesn't really ad them. You have to go to another screen to ad the customer and this method usually works, but you have to figure this stuff out on your own. And when you tell customer service about something that doesn't work, they just tell you "oh yeah, you can't do it that way." Well, why there is an option to do it that way? And the "backend" is just a cruel joke. I don't even bother to try and see what my employees have sold anymore because it's simply too much effort and headache to look anything up. There is no place where you can simply look up a customer, see what they purchased and their contact, shipping info. All of these steps must be done painstakingly separately. And their customer service people seem to know they're trying to help you with a shit product. Lots of long periods of silence on the phone as they try desperately to find a nice way of telling you there is no way to get the damn thing to do the elementary task you need it to do. Oh, and the cost.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Gary,

I have reached out to you via email directly to collect your feedback. That invitation is still open and our product developers are always looking for customer input on functionality and UI.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Software Advice, regardless. I am sorry to hear you have experienced frustration with our platform and we are continually working to improve Revel.

Sarah, Advocacy Manager at Revel

John

Customer since 2012: Easy to use, excellent features, poor customer service. Be careful...

Reviewed on 14/1/2018

Pros

This system is highly customizable and easy to use. Reports are excellent and Revel does a nice job of continuously updating the backend to be more useful. Keeping track of employee hours is easy and efficient.

Cons

We have been a customer since 2012 and Revel has changed the playing field:

1) Revel now charges more per terminal per month if you choose to not use their credit card processing service. This wasn't the case when we signed up.

2) We purchased 2 scales in 2012 and two more for a second location in 2014. Revel's updated system no longer supports these peripherals. Revel offered me a discount for replacement of these scales for ones that work. Not good enough! This same situation occurred earlier with printers which I had to repurchase.

In addition to changing the playing field, the customer service is not good. Expect the system to go down at least 3 to 4 times a year when Apple upgrades their iOS.

Revel has changed their business model. They are now in the business of credit card processing. I see this as a sign of a struggling business and would be concerned about their longevity.

3) Confusing payment structure.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that there have been issues with your scales and our latest release. I am confident that the issue will be resolved and do apologize for the delay. I have escalated your case to our customer relations team and they will be sure to address any outstanding issues for you.

You are always welcome to schedule a time to share your feedback with me at [email protected]. Happy to learn more about your experience.

Kendra
  • Used for 1-5 months

REVEL POS System: A Huge Mistake w/ Painful Ripple Effects

Reviewed on 19/8/2017

A Huge Mistake w/ Painful Ripple Effects. I want to convey concise specifics regarding where the decision to purchase the REVEL system went wrong without emotion but this process from start to finish coupled with the loss and major internal labor dollars, cuts deep!

Before signing we did our due diligence, as best we knew how. Our team read the pro and con reviews. We took particular note of one review which said get everything in writing prior to signing. Our attempt to do so was to compile an excel doc that listed specifics of everything we needed the system to do for our custom bakery. We received a “yes” we can on the majority of the listed items. Our team sent multiple emails and cataloged them all, from pre-purchase, sales rep dialogue, on-boarding, initial program management, daily questions to various on-boarding team members, help line conference calls, management team conference calls, to and the summary of where the REVEL system failed us miserably. If you would like this information, we would be more than happy to forward you our packet of information. We hired an intern for 6 weeks who worked in tandem with a permanent team member, solely for the purpose of manage the on-boarding and conversion process; with the intent of expediting our transition from our old POS system to new REVEL system.

Our internal plan was so effective that within 2 weeks of receiving the equipment, we were able to ascertain that the REVEL system would not align with our business model. Our internal conversion team learned the platform so well, that they were able to ascertain operational components of the software the help desk and our assigned project manager was not aware (use of modifiers and order category classifications). Our team hit the ground running the day after the contract was signed.

Pros

IOS IPad functionality. Delivered product to store front quickly. If you have limited customization needs, the entry of products may prove easy.

Cons

On-boarding process. Inability to own product customization challenges. No provision in contract for when the product does not work with your business model as they initially advocated.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Kendra,

I am sorry to see that we were not able to meet your expectations. If you have specific requests during the sales process that were not rendered by the system we are happy to review them. However, in our director-level review of your inquiries of the system and needs during the sales process, we have delivered the product as stated.

I have taken a look into your ticket history and work with our client relations team and, as mentioned, we are more than happy to build out enhancement requests and expedite as needed. We understand that you may not wish to work with us and we do apologize that your experience was not what you had anticipated despite many attempts to understand your specific needs. We have many clients with similar setups, but, of course, we could always use input for further product development.

Sarah, Community Manager at Revel

Bob

2 years of ongoing crap

Reviewed on 11/3/2018

I wish I'd gotten another POS. Am actively looking for another, despite knowing how destructive this would be to implement.

Pros

Somewhat aesthetically pleasing, so customers comment sometimes. Overall everyone who actually uses it hates it.

Cons

Where do I even start. Personally the jump in per month fees with no notice and no explanation *tops* my list. Also we reported to them extremely basic functionality that's broken. There the slowness, no notice backwards updates, customer support, did I mention it's slow slow slow. The release updates that are inadequately tested. Then they're arrogant as hell about it. Don't even get me started on how painful, slow and counter-intuitive the backend is.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Bob,

We would be happy to help you out, but unfortunately, cannot locate you based on the info in this review. We are sorry to hear you have had a poor experience.

We have been able to maintain prices significantly below industry alternatives for an extended period of time, but, as with any software subscription, we do periodically have to increase our price to continue to provide the service that you deserve as a loyal customer. We will continue to strive to deliver you the best features available at the lowest possible price.

We are happy to set up a time to hear your feedback directly -- please feel free to get in touch via [email protected].

Sarah, Customer Advocacy Manager at Revel

Josh

An expensive

Reviewed on 10/5/2017

The Revel system is not for all businesses. The sales reps will tell you that the Revel system is capable of everything that all other POS systems will do. However to accomplish the same functions as others it is not as easy as they make it seem.

We have considered switching to an alternate POS system because the complicated structure of the Revel system takes quite a bit of work to manage.

Pros

The employee management features are good. It easy to create employee schedules and track employee profits and sales.

Cons

We switched to Revel from QuickBooks POS because we wanted to move to a cloud based POS. Our goal was to be able to manage our retail store and build an e-commerce business. We were told that the Revel system was capable of everything that QuickBooks POS did and much more. However, once we began building it out we quickly realized it was not capable of doing what the sales rep told us it would nor did it have many of the features we used in QB.

It took us nearly six months to completely rebuild our entire inventory system, because Revel did not support selling a single product by multiple units of measure (ex. soda by the can, case or 6 pack). Now that we finally have the system in place we've had problems with the inventory management system giving us false quantities resulting in over purchasing and/or running out of key products.

They also release new system updates and products every couple of months, however the new releases often have problems and many of the tech support personnel have no idea how to fix problems.

Clarice
  • Used for 6-12 months

A Nightmare...probably a good product but will take you almost a year to learn it.

Reviewed on 9/11/2017

Once we were able to talk to tier two people, things improved.

Once we were able to talk to tier two people, things improved.

Pros

Lots of good reports ... if you finally figure out how to get to them.
Till is good. Lots of info in "University" must read it two or three times before it makes sense.

Cons

Labor intensive, requires many many steps to accomplish one thing. Has left our accounting in shambles
Unforgivable i.e If you make a mistake in entering purchase order, you can't fix it . It just stays there forever
"Integrate with QB' ... does not fully integrate...i.e does not integrate line for line
First Tier support only repeats what you tell them is the problem, no fixes
Took two weeks to get the wiring set up right d/t false directions from support
Has "Chat" but nobody chats... just refers you to something else

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Clarice,

I am sorry to hear that you have had some trouble learning Revel. Our platform is pretty robust and can definitely take some time to learn since there are over 500 settings to allow you to customize your point of sale. We highly recommend working with an account manager to optimize your setup and to help you achieve your overall business goals. That said, your feedback is being heard and appreciated.

In terms of editing Purchase Orders in Revel, POs are editable until they are Saved and Finalized - once you Finalize a PO, you cannot go back in and edit that PO, which is why the system asks you if you are sure you would like to Finalize. We do this, to provide peace of mind and safeguard you against behavior that could be flagged in an audit or employee theft.

There are definitely some language differences between QuickBooks Desktop/POS and Revel's integration. There are many unique properties in both platforms which can take some time to fully design, develop, test, and, then, implement. We are always open to feedback about specific features that are needed or functionality that could be improved! Please feel free to email your suggestions to me at [email protected]. Happy to set up some time to chat.

Best Regards,

Brent

The worst multi-Store POS on the market

Reviewed on 3/2/2018

Do your homework first and be thorough. DO not believe everything they tell you. The salespeople are polished. Serious waste of time and money.

Pros

There are absolutely no Pros to this system. We installed in in June 2017, it is now February 2018 and we still have ongoing issues that are unresolved. The most recent is today with testing the "Online Store". The credit card batches do not match the bank deposits. Revel points at the cc merchant who in turn points back at Revel. Nothing resolved, and nobody will to take responsibility for it. Save your time and money, look for something else.

Cons

confusing, does not track inventory as it should, does not interface correctly with Quickbooks, support is the WORST. No help, we wasted thousands of dollars on this system.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Brent,

I am really sorry to hear that you have had such a poor experience overall. I have taken a look at your ticket history and I do apologize that it looks like you encountered a bug. However, we are definitely working on the issue and as of 2/6 the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately with bugs fixes are not always immediate but we do attempt to push them through as quickly as possible. I can also see that our agents are waiting for the green light from you to integrate QuickBooks.

While I do apologize for the frustration you have experienced so far, our customer support teams are actively working with you and happy to assist you with your business objectives.

Christoph

Innovative QSR POS solution, terrible customer service and poor reliability

Reviewed on 4/10/2016

Although it’s an innovative product, the quality of customer service is horrible. Three of our restaurants in Europe run on Revel and we have seen significant decrease in stability / consistency. Frequent updates in recent months have caused complete service failure during lunch time (as updates seem to come in at exactly that time). Our account manager is basically helpless, and can only offer us to pay hefty fees to their consultants as well as VIP services in order for us to get support. Far behind NetPos which we use in our other outlets!

We halted now the implementation of Revel across our 5 restaurants concepts with 70 outlets and are looking to switch to another provider. Further we tried to implement our mobile app with Revel’s API, turned out it is basically unusable at this stage due to limitation of calls we can make to it.

Pros

-Innovative cloud based solution
-Low Capex vs. other full fledged POS solutions
-Hardware can be purchased separate

Cons

-Poor reliability, frequent updates / changes to the system make it difficult to maintain. Updates which are not announced cause a lot of disruptions in restaurant
-Poor customer service
-API is poorly documented, limited calls allowed

Response from Revel Systems

Hello Chris,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having a poor experience with your system and support. We definitely want to be sure to meet your customer service needs. I will be reaching out to you directly to learn more about how we can turn things around here. We're also happy to work with partners to increase API calls. We do set a limit at the outset of our relationship with our partners but we are always available to increase limits if we realize there is a specific need for one of our valued merchants. Revel's Business Development team will work with the partner providing you the integrated service to find an immediate solution. Thank you for sharing your feedback and for bringing it to our attention.

Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Kerry
  • Used for 1+ year

Dissapointing product and support

Reviewed on 18/2/2019

I stuck with Revel for the first two years of my business because of the desktop QuickBooks integration, which made things easier on my accountant and myself for bookkeeping. Now that they no longer host a Sync app, they are trying to force everyone onto QB online. The support agent I spoke to claimed that there was no way to export the data manually to desktop.

The system was clearly designed for restaurants and mangled into a retail space. There are all kinds of restaurant related options that are unrelated to a retail boutique, but have to be navigated around. Many issues with dashboard navigation, ability to adjust errors without complicating inventory accounting, etc. I've tried to call during peak business times to solve customer issues and been kept on hold for literally hours. When I tried to reach out to the sales person who sold me the system, all emails and calls went unreturned.

After 2 years of fighting with this system to make it work in my space, with terrible support and a high suprise costs, I'm giving up. The last reason I held out was the ease of passing through to my accountant. Now that that has been made even more difficult, I will be switching to another system this summer.

Pros

Formerly integrated with QuickBooks desktop
Offline sales if internet goes down
Somewhat intuitive POS station (still some issues)

Cons

Eliminated Desktop integration on short notice
Back end dashboard is difficult to navigate
Customer service can have EXTEMELY long wait times
Sales team is unreachable after you start paying

Response from Revel Systems

Thank you for your feedback, Kerry. We apologize for the frustrating and disappointing experience you've had; someone from Revel will be reaching out soon to see what can be done to make things right.

Christian

Buyer beware!

Reviewed on 25/7/2023

Horrible

Horrible

Pros

The only reason we considered Revel was because of IOS compaitiblity.

Cons

Bait and switch. Our monthly subscription started and $350. It is now for (with the same # of POS stations) $750. Originally you could use your own merchant account. Now you have to pay an additional $150 a month to use your own provider. I finally switched to a different POS provider. When I called to cancel, Revel says I renewed FOR THREE YEARS by a pop up screen. None of my employees saw the "pop up contract". Stay away horribly unethical company.

Guy
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

A great system for our needs and wonderful sales and implementation team!

Reviewed on 15/6/2023

I have a hodgepodge of software doing different things and using different printers...Revel Up has integrated all my systems into one system and one set of printers

Pros

Having detailed and well-thought-out software with lots of controls and options has made our business run much better.

Cons

I can't close out and email an invoice from the POS system...It lists payment as "deposit " instead of paid.

Emma
  • Industry: Restaurants

Good - but has great mobile app partner in PepperHQ

Reviewed on 25/11/2016

Revel itself is a solid system, but it was not until we integrated it with a mobile app platform (one of their partners, who seem to only work with Revel) that we really started to get a return on investment from the Revel system. The two systems work brilliantly together and have transformed not only the customer experience, but also our operational efficiency. Revel itself is only part of the solution, Pepper HQ - check them out at http://pepperhq.com - is the key to unlocking the value and extending the features within Revel and I think Revel have been very clever getting these guys to partner with them - massive advantage over any other EPOS provider.

Pros

as I said the best thing out the solution is that it integrates so well with our mobile app from Pepper http://pepperhq.com

Cons

not the greatest support; people seem to leave the company all the time...

Marck

Like the product when it works ...

Reviewed on 25/5/2016

Pros

The Cloud based implementation and the amount of functionality available. Would prefer more focus on quality over the amount of enhancements.

Cons

Support and Quality is very poor. Getting attention to issues is very difficult that are not solved easily. The quality of releases has improved but we still hold our breath anytime we do an upgrade. There is very little information available on how to use new features or even existing ones and to get any help beyond basic level help takes a long time. Each time we have an issue I expect to spend hours dealing with emails and calls to get it addressed. There have been times when I report a problem and the first response is to do something I indicated in my request I had already tried or done. There is no commitment on the amount of time they will get back to you and I have had issues where my POS was down completely and could not get any help for hours and hours.

Response from Revel Systems

Hello Marck,
I've sent you an email to discuss your feedback in greater detail. I'm sorry to hear you've experienced some frustrating support issues. I'd like to hear your suggestions for improvement. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here.