Revel Systems

3.8/5
3.4/5

Chip
  • Industry: Restaurants

Just what I needed (and didn't even know that I needed!)

Reviewed on 7/10/2016

We have now been live with our new Revel POS for a week. Naturally, there were a few issues during the switch over, but most of those were a) problems with my setup and b) easily corrected with help from the on-boarding team, tech support folks and very comprehensive online documentation. As of this writing, I believe we are finally “there.”

I am really liking Revel’s product. To be honest, I had no idea how much I was missing out on these past 4 years. I had just assumed that a mature and viable POS product did not exist in the iPad/Cloud arena. I assumed, incorrectly it would seem, that to get such a product I would have to one day shell out thousands or tens of thouands of dollars for one of the “big guys” with expensive hardware. I’m glad to have been proven incorrect in that assumption.

In my mind, one of the absolute best features of Revel is that it is so highly configurable. I have been able to create a POS that meets my business needs as well as the needs of my employees and guests. So far I have not had to “settle” for a configuration that works for “most” people. Instead I have found that I can tell Revel how I want it to work for me and it just works that way. I've never understood why most cloud-based POS companies think that they know more about running our businesses than those of us who are in the trenches. I have been delighted to realize that Revel is willing to put in the effort to create a POS that works they way we work. There is no one-size-fits-all, especially in restaurants. Revel's designers and engineers seem to understand that fact.

Little things like the following mean the world to me:

1) I can specify negative modifiers — ones that deduct from the price. Now my guests can truly have it their way and only pay for what they want. While I've always run my cafe that way, only Revel has allowed me to do that without a lot of unnecessary steps.
2) I can set up default modifiers, and more importantly when a guest doesn’t want that default it is easy to specify at the POS and it is obvious for the kitchen.
3) The flexibility of defining “one size fits all” modifier groups, and tailoring those to the needs of each product that uses them, has made my life so much easier. The modifier features are amazing, and I've just begun to scratch the surface of what is available.
4) And don’t even get me started on recipes. How I ever lived without those in my POS is a mystery. I guess I lived without them because I never knew I needed them!

In the past two days, my employees and I have been able to identify menu items whose gross margins are dragging us down. Since all of our products come with so many options, this has always been a hard, time-consuming thing to do, involving lots of spreadsheets and number crunching. Now that I have nearly all of my recipes defined, I’m able to run one Product Mix report whenever I want and identify problems before they become catastrophes. That alone makes the “extra” expense of the monthly Revel hosting fee worth it.

Even in a small shop, such as mine, inventory control is a nightmare. It has become very obvious to me that after a month or two this task will get much easier. Once I have finished tweaking my product and recipe definitions, I’m looking forward to “knowing” my inventory status with just the touch of a button. I know it won’t be completely accurate — no theoretical inventory system can possibly account for human error. But, I already can tell that it will be much more accurate than I’ve ever had before, and it will be more accurate without the drudgery of weekly physical inventories.

I would be remiss if I did not give a shout-out to your on-boarding and tech support people. They all proved to be very helpful, and very willing to let me go at my pace in this process. I am a tech geek from the days of Univac and IBM mainframes, punch cards and programming languages that are long dead and buried. Though I am now a chef I have never lost my love of all things tech. It was a pleasure to work with people who let me control the process as I was learning Revel. Their on-boarding team is willing to do as much, or as little, as their new clients need to get them up and running quickly.

If I had to sum up my early experiences with Revel and the switch over, that sentence would be ---- I now feel like I am more in control of my business, that I understand my business better.

As we enter our fifth year, a year that looks to be like it will be on schedule to be our first true profit year, that is huge. I'm looking forward to learning how Revel can help make that first profit year even more profitable.

Sure, there is always room for improvement. Revel, like most mPOS companies, needs to get their integrated EMV/contactless functionality up and running, not just for one or two payment processing companies, but for all of them. Having said that, I realize how expensive and how difficult that task is. But, if they get it done quickly and correctly, they will be a hard company to beat.

A few other reviewers mentioned one suggestion I will echo -- be prepared to spend some time learning what you have with Revel, and what it can do for you. Myself, I spent hours looking at every setting, reading the help bubbles for every setting, and making notes about what I did and did not want to implement. I asked a lot of questions. I watched a lot of videos. When I wasn't sure, I created tests, ran them and looked at the results.

Most importantly, I spent two days keying the same orders into both my current POS and Revel, looking for discrepancies and errors in my setup. Sure, that all took a lot of time. But taking a lot of time up front means spending less time fighting fires after going live.

What I'm trying to say is don't think you are going to get your hardware and go live in a week. I budgeted a month for training, setup and troubleshooting before I ever thought about going live. I think a month is the MINIMUM time needed in order to do it right, and I have set up a lot of POS systems in my career. Remember -- as restaurants, our POS is the hub of our data and data analysis. We wouldn't short-change our recipe development, or training our cooks and other staff. To succeed, we need great data that tells us everything we need to know about our business. Revel can be that vital hub, but only if we take the necessary time and effort in the beginning.

And, with that, I'll step down from my soapbox.

Pros

Flexibility -- ability to configure to work the way MY BUSINESS works
Customer support and training

Cons

Needs to get their integrated EMV/contactless payment integration up and running. Currently that only works for one or two payment processors.

Response from Sarah

Hello Chip,

Thank you so much for your detailed input. There's so much useful advice here! We agree that with a robust platform it definitely takes some time to customize, but once you do, you will reap the benefits of having intelligence about your business easily available. We hope to continue to continue to provide stellar service so that you can run your profitable cafe. Your shout-outs to Support and Onboarding will be passed on! Thank you so much for your support and belief in our product and what we are working so hard to accomplish.

Cheers and thank you again.
-Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Christian

Skeptical at first...

Reviewed on 6/3/2017

After months of wrangling with the decision of which system to invest in I cautiously went forward with Revel. 2 terminal system only so if it didn't work out the damages would be minimal. I learned the hard way jumping in with two feet real quick with Clover. (Different business than the one I bought Revel for. The CC processor is really to blame for saying that Clover is a good system for full service restaurants and I'm to blame for not verifying.) That was a disaster. Paying monthly for a pile of stuff I never went live with. Back to Revel. So many negative reviews made me really worried but after so much research, a: it seemed like it was very robust, more than any other cloud based system, something that would be difficult to quickly outgrow, b: relatively cheap entry cost, albeit the most expensive ongoing costs (more on that later), and c: every system turns out to have overwhelming negative reviews by my count.
After reading all the reviews 2 things stuck out to me. One, I was real concerned about the support teams. It was such a common theme amongst so many review sites. Two, I sensed a bit of naivete on many of the negative reviews. After reading between the lines I figured this was a very complex system and one would have to put forth a lot of effort to get it set up and working well for your business. It does not plug and play. It could be but you would be barely scratching the surface of what it is capable of. The lack of support made it seem like someone with little experience with computers and or POS systems should stay far away. We have been live for over a month and I felt compelled to get on here and tell about my experience. Completely exceeded my expectations. To be clear, it has been a challenge getting it all where it is now. We went live 16 days after it arrived in the mail. That's not enough time. My own fault for dragging my feet. Give yourself 30 days. That would be a nice luxury. Plan on adapting it to your business. This system is designed for such a broad spectrum of businesses so don't expect it to be perfect just for you. That will take time. We have so much more tweaking and customizing ahead. Recipe builds, ingredient unit and cost data etc. You will only get out what you put in. The support that comes with the system combined with the fact that you get lifetime updates as the system is improved and having features added makes the monthly cost worth it to me. Thanks to an agent of NY for giving me all the information I needed without any of the typical sales pressures. I will be adding the self serve kiosk sometime this month. Can't wait to bring that exciting feature to our customers.

Pros

Basic programming is relatively easy, uploading large amounts of items via excel spreadsheet was great. The support has been awesome! We have made a few mistakes on our end and they have gotten us back on track, plus quickly been able to guide us through some more complex feature programming. No issues have gone unresolved and none have gone into the 2nd day. No issues have been in any way critical or serious either.

Cons

Even though our system is 100% hardwired it still requires an access point that is wireless. I don't like the potential issues with wireless. A few days ago one of the terminals was having a spotty connection issue.

Josh

An expensive

Reviewed on 10/5/2017

The Revel system is not for all businesses. The sales reps will tell you that the Revel system is capable of everything that all other POS systems will do. However to accomplish the same functions as others it is not as easy as they make it seem.

We have considered switching to an alternate POS system because the complicated structure of the Revel system takes quite a bit of work to manage.

Pros

The employee management features are good. It easy to create employee schedules and track employee profits and sales.

Cons

We switched to Revel from QuickBooks POS because we wanted to move to a cloud based POS. Our goal was to be able to manage our retail store and build an e-commerce business. We were told that the Revel system was capable of everything that QuickBooks POS did and much more. However, once we began building it out we quickly realized it was not capable of doing what the sales rep told us it would nor did it have many of the features we used in QB.

It took us nearly six months to completely rebuild our entire inventory system, because Revel did not support selling a single product by multiple units of measure (ex. soda by the can, case or 6 pack). Now that we finally have the system in place we've had problems with the inventory management system giving us false quantities resulting in over purchasing and/or running out of key products.

They also release new system updates and products every couple of months, however the new releases often have problems and many of the tech support personnel have no idea how to fix problems.

PHIL
  • Industry: Hospitality

Revel POS--a powerful tool for hospitality and retail

Reviewed on 16/6/2016

Revel Systems POS is a very powerful tool that is well-supported, constantly undergoing updates and improvements (and that our salesman and installer have been very easy to work with!) I have generally found tech support to be responsive and they have usually always helped me resolve any issues.

Pros

The retail, restaurant and quick service platforms that we use in our establishments are designed with those unique industries in mind, and the system is powerful enough to handle close to 10K inventory items in retail; dozens of employees in retail and restaurant establishments; and even a quick service environment where hard-wired Internet service is not feasible. We have had a great experience with our salesman, installer and tech support throughout our relationship with Revel.

Cons

The off-the-shelf Revel POS system is not a custom system made to a customer's exact specifications, although Revel does offer that service for additional cost. Customers should know what their needs are before implementing the system. The system is based on a columnar, spreadsheet, model, and for many installations that may result in the user interface having several layers of menu screens that need to be negotiated in order to retrieve a menu item. The system is pretty flexible, however, and offers the means to work with a huge number of inventory items in a wide variety of platforms (hospitality, retail, mobile.)

Emma
  • Industry: Restaurants

Good - but has great mobile app partner in PepperHQ

Reviewed on 25/11/2016

Revel itself is a solid system, but it was not until we integrated it with a mobile app platform (one of their partners, who seem to only work with Revel) that we really started to get a return on investment from the Revel system. The two systems work brilliantly together and have transformed not only the customer experience, but also our operational efficiency. Revel itself is only part of the solution, Pepper HQ - check them out at http://pepperhq.com - is the key to unlocking the value and extending the features within Revel and I think Revel have been very clever getting these guys to partner with them - massive advantage over any other EPOS provider.

Pros

as I said the best thing out the solution is that it integrates so well with our mobile app from Pepper http://pepperhq.com

Cons

not the greatest support; people seem to leave the company all the time...

Alex
  • Industry: Hospitality

Do Not Go With Revel PoS

Reviewed on 22/4/2022

Terrible experience with all teams involved.
The person that was supposed to be handling our case was rude and extremely inattentive
We didn’t even get to start using the system because it was not delivering what we asked for.

Pros

Nothing
All I can say is that the package looks nice but there’s nothing useful in the package but a pack of lies.

Cons

The sales process is extremely misleading and they will tell you anything you want to hear but delivery will fall very short
During the process of selecting a point-of-sale system be interviewed several software companies including Revel
In this process the sales person promises that their point of sale is capable of the options we were looking for and in the process of discovery after we made payments and purchased equipment and software we realized that it was not true
In particular we wanted to use a kitchen display system that had the capability of firing courses and this was not the case
Later when we told them that this is not functioning properly they recommended that we use printers instead
We told them the reason why we made the switch to your company was to use kitchen display and avoid printers all together
Sadly they refuse to acknowledge even though all the technicians that we spoke to clearly admitted that this function is not currently functional in the way it should be
I would strongly advise not to use the system as they are extremely misleading in the process of delivering their sale and product

We never even started using the system as the system was not capable of delivering what we were promised to.
So we lost all the initial investment into it and no recourse.

Square Point of Sale and TouchBistro

Reasons for Choosing Revel Systems

Because they offered what we needed

TouchBistro

Reasons for Switching to Revel Systems

We didn’t chose revel ultimately We made the choice initially because they made false promises
Claire
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great program!

Reviewed on 31/12/2016

We use Revel as our point of sales system at the restaurant I work in. After switching to revel from a previous program, I was immediately pleased with how easy and intuitive the program is. Splitting checks is extremely easy to do, no matter how many you have to split it into. This was not the case with our old program. It allows the ability to color code categories and even put an image on a button. Another excellent feature is that servers cannot swipe a card or cash out a bill that is not under their name. This eliminates report mix-ups and the hassle of having to calculate how much of another server's tips you ended up with and owe back to them because it can't happen. Overall, Revel was an excellent upgrade and continues to be an excellent program.

Pros

How intuitive and easy to use it is

Cons

Doesn't calculate tip percentages

Response from Revel Systems

Hello Claire,

What awesome feedback! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience!

I will contact you directly to learn more about your suggestions for how we can better handle tip percentages.

Again, much appreciated.
Sarah, Community Manager at Revel Systems

David

de la mer experience with Revel

Reviewed on 24/11/2017

Pros

- Only iPad POS system on the market (as far as I know) that can deal with items priced by weight.
- constant improvements on software being done (both UI and management consol)
- enterprise management system that allows the management of multiple business units.
- excellent 24hr/day technical support
- a lot of flexibility in the system

Cons

- lack of stability with Moneris pin pad integration, ongoing issue of POS and pin pad not communicating at random.
- difficult to find how to do certain functions in the management consol (not intuitive - for example searching for a subject through what seems like appropriate keys words will not allows bring up the items)
- product costs not linked to inventory costs

Angela
  • Industry: Restaurants

One of my worst business decisions....

Reviewed on 30/4/2021

1. Difficult to set up. I'm nearly set up now and it took me an average of 10 hours a day for 6 or 7 days.
2. Misrepresented themselves as being able to scale down for a small quick service bar with bar tabs.
3. Hold times for support are any where from 20 sec's-1 hour!! Unreliable.
4. Support staff are very nice and try hard to help, but there is some language barrier with every support staff member 24 hours a day.
After many phone calls, emails and frustrating nights I finally received confirmation today that they will release me from contract and charge me 45% restocking fee on equipment. IM somewhat satisfied by that. If you have a QSR or a FSR maybe they work....And maybe usually they answer support calls faster. I don't know. I'm just glad I'm out with a minimally painful 1k mistake.

Pros

Very adaptive if you are FSR. Many ways to get to open tabs. Support team emails articles and/or videos to help after virtually every support call . Support staff are very friendly and patient.

Cons

SOUNDED good, but they couldn't deliver! Make sure they demonstrate the feature you want to use before purchasing. I spoke to my sales rep for 30-45 minutes and multiple times and still the system did not work as expected! I could not remove the majority of dining options (we are a bar with NO food or table service) I need lots of tabs and good inventory tracking of my liquor, kinda like a night club. The system works for FULL service, QUICK service or retail I guess... Definitely not a bar with no table service. It is VERY difficult to set up!! At first I thought lots of settings = lots of customization. In my case I found it not customizable to my needs. I was calling support 15 times a day for advise and work arounds. In 1 week I waited on hold with support 4 times for 20-25 minutes each call. One time I actually waited for 1 whole HOUR! Thank fully I still had not gone live. I don't like the menu lay out. Personally I think the categories and subcategories take up a LOT of valuable screen space (BIG squares). I thought I could bypass the subcategories, but after purchase found out that I couldn't get necessary reports that way. Modifiers can only add ingredients. I needed cocktails that use less of one ingredient and more of another. Later found out that was not possible. Also 3 year contract?! Wow that's a big commitment!

SCOTT
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great product if you have the time to put into it.

Reviewed on 3/1/2019

Pros

We like how you can really tailor it to your business. We run a bar and bottle shop, and can sell by using an ingredient or a product. The reporting is pretty extensive. The timekeeping and scheduling keep everything in one place.

Cons

The backend takes a bit of a learning curve. It will take some time to learn how to operate and get used to he format.

Response from Holden

Thank you for your feedback, Scott. Let us know at [email protected] if there are any features you'd like to hear more about or if there are any other sticky spots on the learning curve we can help with.

Jim
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Excellent System that Works Great

Reviewed on 30/10/2017

We have had others system and this just works great for us. It has a pretty good inventory system and a host of reports. The key is its makes the sales process easy. I have no problem giving Revel a strong recommendation.

Pros

Our company is the merchandise concessionaire for Athletic Events at Army West Point and we are big fans of the Revel System. At our latest game, we had 11 stands and were able to push through almost 2000 transactions in a little over four hours. The system has worked flawless for us and our gross sales is up over 20% this season because of the ease of sales. We added a scanner and the fans love it. Combined with a strong credit card provider we have our sales available for us usually in 48 hours. The system works for us in many locations on batteries and its Verizon wi-fi is very good. If we have wi-fi trouble on site with a large crowd...it holds transaction and puts it through when the wi-fi is up. Our staff...not big techies...has had NO problems after expressing a feeling that the system would make it hard for customers to be serviced. We are big fans because it is helping our business. We now do almost four to one credit cards over cash purchases.

Cons

You will find Revel is a little more expensive than other systems. They also make a decent profit on the hardware. But it is clearly you get what you pay for....when you have great service and a strong working system....you have to pay. This is a professional system.

Kerry
  • Used for 1+ year

Dissapointing product and support

Reviewed on 18/2/2019

I stuck with Revel for the first two years of my business because of the desktop QuickBooks integration, which made things easier on my accountant and myself for bookkeeping. Now that they no longer host a Sync app, they are trying to force everyone onto QB online. The support agent I spoke to claimed that there was no way to export the data manually to desktop.

The system was clearly designed for restaurants and mangled into a retail space. There are all kinds of restaurant related options that are unrelated to a retail boutique, but have to be navigated around. Many issues with dashboard navigation, ability to adjust errors without complicating inventory accounting, etc. I've tried to call during peak business times to solve customer issues and been kept on hold for literally hours. When I tried to reach out to the sales person who sold me the system, all emails and calls went unreturned.

After 2 years of fighting with this system to make it work in my space, with terrible support and a high suprise costs, I'm giving up. The last reason I held out was the ease of passing through to my accountant. Now that that has been made even more difficult, I will be switching to another system this summer.

Pros

Formerly integrated with QuickBooks desktop
Offline sales if internet goes down
Somewhat intuitive POS station (still some issues)

Cons

Eliminated Desktop integration on short notice
Back end dashboard is difficult to navigate
Customer service can have EXTEMELY long wait times
Sales team is unreachable after you start paying

Response from Holden

Thank you for your feedback, Kerry. We apologize for the frustrating and disappointing experience you've had; someone from Revel will be reaching out soon to see what can be done to make things right.

Justin
  • Industry: Furniture

100% Fail - Waste of Valuable Time and Money

Reviewed on 16/6/2017

Long and short, our experience with the Revel systems POS (our intent is to use it in Retail application) has been a nightmare. The problems started early on in being sold hardware components that were not designed to work in the way we needed to utilize them - despite us being very detailed in what we needed - and despite the Sales reps assurances they would (specifically the barcode scanners and printers). We purchased our system in Mid-March but due to delays in the build-out of our store front and arrival of inventory components we were not actually able to begin the on-boarding/product and inventory load until Mid-May and that's when things turned awful.

Our initial product information load seemed to go well, however when we attempted to load the corresponding inventory via the method instructed it would not load. Come to find out we were given incorrect instructions and fields/information that should have been on the load sheet were not there. That issue began 5/15 and was finally resolved 5/17. On 5/16 another set of issues started during the attempt at setting up our receipt with logo, company info, etc (figured we'd do that while the inventory thing got figured out. Wrong!) That was finally figured out and resolved by our onboard rep on 5/17 at the end of the day... with zero explanation as to what the issue was and if it could happen again. Since we were finally able to go ahead and get the first phase of products/inventory info loaded (our onboard rep did it for us because no matter what or how we tried it was unsuccessful) we scheduled our POS front end training on 5/19 - which also was a bust because we learned that none of our printers were correctly configured before our system was sent. This also stalled us from being able to barcode the items in the store until 5/26 when that issue was finally resolved with one of our barcode printers and the receipt printer (it is now 6/15 and the second printer for our warehouse still hasn't been configured... we have literally been dealing with daily issues with the backend system and front end system all this time and haven't even been able to address that yet).

Other issues that occurred (that are now resolved but no one can explain the how or why it happened, or will it happen again?) where the backend system spontaneously dumped my login information on 6/7. Our rep basically had to reset me up (2 more days down). Thought we were finally good... got to the actual POS and discovered that the login PINs for myself and 3 of our employees did not work (despite the 3 employees info being present and correct in the backend - my information erased again and defaulted to a generic 1234). Got that sorted a couple days later.

This weeks issue has been with the integration to Quick Books online. The POS is sending inaccurate info to QBO - and of course, no one can tell us why, or worse, how to correct it. One generally assumes that in business accurate financial reporting is kind of a thing... I mean Revel hasn't had a problem charging us the monthly fee all this time and I'm sure they track that somewhere, right?

Naturally in the month from 5/15 to today, 6/15, we finally hit our limit and requested information on returning the system (being willing to take the risk of being without a POS system at our opening and just processing manually through QBO). Our onboard rep passed us on to Client Relations and a few days later we finally get a generic, and frankly offensive, email from customer rep that in no way acknowledged our issues and frustrations - but instead had a copy of our Revel contact attached. I assume the point was to put it out there that Revel only has a 30 day return policy (keep in mind rep didn't say that in his email... he pretty much implied "figure it out for yourself"). Of course, since we bought our system in March we are well beyond the 30 day limit.

I really could keep going. I am just shy of now 100 emails back and forth about issue, after issue, after issue - none of which truly got any clear resolution or explanation.

I'll save you some time. Do not buy this system. Its bad, the customer support is worse, and like us some of you will likely end up tossing a system in the storage room and going to another platform.

Cons

Please see comments for a play by play and definitely look to other systems (the more I look into this, the more negative reviews I am finding that are sadly similar to our own).

Matt

Total Disappoinment

Reviewed on 31/10/2017

I'd stay away from this system and this company. I'm a small business owner and I've spent more time trying to get Revel to fix their POS (point of sale) than I have running my own business. I will soon cut my losses and find an alternative solution. I promise, this company will drive you to extreme frustration. Finally, I recommend paying a little extra for a better Poiny of Sale system, you will find it's cheaper in the long run than trying to use Revel.

Pros

Very Powerful Database for retail store once you have all your prices and inventory entered. The POS is easy to use after (only after) set up.

Cons

1. Despite previous positive reviews for customer service, they are terrible! They are great for explaining how to use the product, they are terrible for fixing their own product! 2. ALSO, DO NOT USE FOR E-COMMERCE! The web order feature (e-commerce) is useless and looks even worse. Prepare to explain your problem repeatedly when using support. You will be transferred from one tier of support to the next. There's at least 3 tiers of support and they don't provide passdown info between support tiers. I tried the web order function, paid for it and found the shipping feature was flawed right before I took the website live. After 3-4 weeks of constantly repeating myself (explaining the problem) they said the problem would be fixed with the next update. They agreed to refund me for 1 month of the web order subscription. A few weeks later I called to check on the refund, I found out I was still enrolled and the promised refund has changed to a credit for a future month of the web order subscription. 3. Finally, Revel uses TLS 1.0 protocol. My credit card processor deemed this obsolete, and is going to charge me a monthly fee until they update the program. Or, I can complete a risk mitigation questionnaire and the fees will be waived as long as the program is updated by June 2018. The questions on the form are far beyond my computer/programming knowledge so I have to request support from Revel. I'm now at tier 2, explained my problem twice and still don't have any help. 4. If you are buying an existing business that uses Revel, you cannot transfer info from one revel account to another. They may tell you it can be done, I assure you they do not have the means to do it. You will find yourself starting over from scratch. As a small business, this setback was extremely costly in terms of man hours required to restart.

Margaret

No Customer Service Department only a Customer Retention Department!

Reviewed on 25/5/2017

Sorely disappointed in this millenial run company. No sense of understanding of customer loyalty. When I showed up in person at their offices in San Francisco, it was lunch time and the elevators were a turnstile of delivery people bringing in "take out" food to the office. I was treated very poorly when met by the Director of Sales who tried to just pawn off my issue "until Monday". Here were are suffering from a massive company wide fiasco costing us many man hours and challenges serving our customers when these guys are just sitting around enjoying their venture capital take outs for lunch. Kinda hard to take when you're working your ass off 3 states away with no breaks and no one will even respond/acknowledge the massive mistake made by their company. We were finally told today that they do not even have a customer service/care department...only a customer retention department that they self described as the department for customers considering leaving. YES, we said...that's who we need to talk to (still at 5pm...no contact for this mysterious department provided). Creating an exit plan...Such a bummer. Had such high hopes for this product. Too bad the people behind the scenes totally stink.

Pros

Syncs for us seamlessly with Quickbooks online
Can handle large inventory
Lots of options for discounts and sales and alternative pricing and grouping
Love putting the orders together on on iPad and closing it out at the register on another.

Cons

Terrible, horrible, god awful customer service. The tech people are great at helping do a lot of things by phone; however when we did an update after a big fiasco with trying to resync iPads to printers and iPads to swipers, etc, we find out that our scale that we purchased through Revel for more cost when it was only worth less, we were told is no longer supported...this only 2 years after purchase. Sadly, we are so immersed in their system at present that we will have to purchase the new scale that they are supporting. We received zero notification that they were discontinuing the scale. The scale is a massive factor in our use of revel as 2/3 of our inventory is measured by grams. We have received run around after run around by phone, by email AND...even when I showed up at their office in San Francisco.

Jeremiah

Essential Foods Review of Revel

Reviewed on 11/10/2016

Many things need impprovment but overall a good system. Things to improve on... Inventory, Need a sperate app on Ipad to help take Phisicall inventory. Back side functuanilty needs improvement, too many steps to add products make availble that when you add a product you can do everyting in one step instead of saving and ving to next step and again and again! more tutorials on bulding recipies and buding inventory on restaurant side. Scheduling, Being able to have set shift blocks would help in the scheduling. Better personalized service. our local installer who is supposed to be our problem solver (David Bovenkamp) is not at all helpfull and very hard to get in touch with. Need support that is easily reached and can trouble shoot us quickly. MORE TRANING ON INSTALL!!!!! we have struggled learning ourselves how to build products and menus.! If all functuallity worked smoothly It would be completly worth the value. as of right now the smothness of everything makes it not worth the value

Pros

Front End very user firendly

Cons

Backend lacking and functunallity needs imporvment

Response from Revel Systems

Hello Jeremiah,

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions around inventory. To clarify, your "local installer" is just that - they install your system and get your business up and running. Our Support is available to you 24/7 and they are happy to walk you through building products and menus -- of course it's important to set aside time for that call. With any new system, it's important to give yourself time to discover how to get the most out of the platform.
Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us.
Regards,
Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Krika

Not for salon use

Reviewed on 26/6/2016

Had trouble from the start wrong equipment and printer sent . Now the program does not like what I was told . Can even get my appointments when clients make them. I have dealt endless hours with support I probably have deleted and re added the software over 25 times . Called in over 75 times . Rebooted over 35 times . Spoke with customer support over 75 hours . Some seem like they know it's not functional for a salon but nothing they can do . It's sad . But I figure I'm gonna have to leave cause being a single operation an an people make appts online and I don't even know is the worst and then you got to refresh and then still the client is not on the calendar .

Pros

I just like apple products and customers like the seamless integration with checking out . So this has nothing to do with software.

Cons

Limited and useless for a salon. Clients make an appointment and can only add one service. So when they come in they are like I wanted to add other stuff but couldn't . I do not get a confirmation when a client has scheduled an appointment online . The system is set up for food service / dining . Calendar system is the worst .

Response from Revel Systems

Hello Krika,

Thank you for your review and feedback. I am sorry to hear that you're having issues with your system and I ensured that one of our Client Relations team has reached out to you. I hope that we can get things working more smoothly for your salon.

Regards,
Sarah M., Community Manager, Revel Systems

Camila
  • Industry: Restaurants

Their databases and analytics are good, but that is it

Reviewed on 2/12/2020

I liked the way I was able to manage the data with their system but just this is not worth the price I was paying for it

Pros

I was able yo create really successful marketing campaigns thanks to the databases that revel provides, they give you detailed information about the business operations.

Cons

their prices are extremely high compared to the other companies and their website and POS need to be renovated. if there was an issue it will require a call to customer service and it just makes it a long tedious process especially if you work in a fast-paced business like a restaurant.

Philip

Okay system

Reviewed on 28/7/2018

Had to downgrade 30+iPads once because a version released had to be taken off. Not a fun time.

Pros

Lots of things you can do with it. The modifier system is good, table options are fine, reporting system is fairly detailed.

Cons

Constant updates that aren’t fully optimized. Newer updates require newer iPads - we have about 50 older iPads from 4 years ago that need to be replaced. Clearly this system was designed for obselecense vs. Other POS systems. Updates always get confusing because the UI will change drastically and finding a certain function you’re used to by muscle memory will get frustrating.

Murat
  • Industry: Restaurants

Complete POS in one small app with a lot of reporting options behind.

Reviewed on 10/9/2018

I would love to have custom reports
ie;
Between given dates how many green salad was sold?

Pros

Reporting functions. There is a lot of reports that we can check the data that has been processed.

Cons

Even though whenever i call i reach very knowledgable rep. If a person is not into tech stuff (like me ;) ) its very difficult to apply all those to the pos to fix something.

Response from Holden

Murat, thanks so much for the kind feedback! We really appreciate it—we're always trying to find ways to improve our product, and the users like you who are pushing our platform to its limits are invaluable to that process. Best, Holden at Revel

Olivier
  • Industry: Restaurants

Dont understand the others review

Reviewed on 8/6/2018

I finally found a system that i am not looking to change for a bit!!!!

Pros

Best customer service on the market!! Try touchbistro , (worst) ,Tryed Shopkeep (un par with revel) tried lightspeed(i would say below average!! t
I had lots of weird request and lots of demand since my businesses go from table service to quick service to Grocery store! i Called then countless of time during setup and never waited more then 1 minute for service ! Also on all the wierd request i had they were able to make 90% of them work! , not ounce i had the system crashing on me ! not like that famous TB .. witch was almost a monthly thing !

Cons

Lots of add on that you have to pay extra monthly fee that actually should be ether cheap or sell as a package!
After you sign ,and get you stuff! you Rep become almost unreachable ! and its get hard to get add on!

Joshua
  • Industry: Restaurants

Revel Systems are intuitive, easy to use, and supported by a relatively flexible customer...

Reviewed on 27/10/2017

Pros

I like the intuitive functionality and the breadth of options for a point-of-sale system. While it is not necessarily the most chain-friendly system, it is flexible enough and would probably be ideal for an independent company.

Cons

It is not as adaptable for very specific systems (like for a chain restaurant), and sometimes the customer service is contracted out to people who are not primary English speakers, which makes it more difficult to resolve problems (though their expertise is sufficient and oftentimes very good).

Alex
  • Industry: Restaurants

Revel, the Xero of POS; Beautiful software, outstanding customer support.

Reviewed on 13/9/2017

Our business has 8 locations under the Cobb & Co. brand name. We are TSR, multi location, and have future plans for up to 20-30stores in the next 4 years. Confident that we can grow with Revel.

Pros

Revel's use of real estate and easy-to-learn interface is second to none.
Revel support structure, 24/7 with escalation to Tier 1>2>3.

Cons

Little bit spenny. They're just lucky it's so damn good.
Would like to see some integrations with reservations software for restaurants. Other than that, Revel is choosing some good partners.

Response from Sarah

Hi Alex,

Thank you so much for all of the stars! And the feedback. I would love to get your feedback in further detail. I will reach out to you directly via email.
So glad to hear you will be growing with us!

Sarah at Revel

Jake
  • Industry: Accounting

A Powerful POS

Reviewed on 3/11/2016

The Revel system is everything you need in an iPad POS. It is loaded with options and functionality for use in several industries (what else do you expect from the POS partner of Intuit's Quickbooks?). From restaurants to retail, Revel is completely customizable to handle all forms of sales tax, eat-in tables, retail categories, reporting, and even integrates with other software like Quickbooks Online.

While the integration with Quickbooks Online is helpful, there are a few ways it can provide unnecessary challenges (like in how it moves inventory to cost of goods sold), how it handles refunds and multi-day transactions. There are a couple settings in Quickbooks that will help maximize the potential of Revel, so make sure you get help with setup at the beginning.

Overall, if you like flexibility, Revel would be a great choice for an iPad POS.

Pros

The functionality and flexibility is great. I love that almost everything can be customized according to the preferences and needs of the business owner and his processes.

Cons

The way the integration works with QBO takes some getting used to, but it is not a deal breaker.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Jake,

This is great feedback to hear on our QuickBooks Integration. Thank you for taking the time to share on Capterra!

Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Lily
  • Industry: Supermarkets
  • Used for 2+ years

Ok Product with very poor customer service

Reviewed on 22/8/2018

We run a small grocery store. This system came with no set up instructions, and when we called customer servoce they suggested we hire their tech guy. Absolutely unhelpful when we ran into trouble with both the software and hardware, and then the company ended up sending us parts that we didn’t order for our scanner/scale that we purchased from revel and that did not work from the get go, then refused to take the parts back, and then charged us for said parts 2 years later. Had very poor customer service and a team that was unwilling to support their system.

Pros

Fairly easy to operate if using for a very limited purpose. The main menu screen is clear enough. Like that it uses an IPAD.

Cons

BAD customer service. Software too limited for our needs, did not live up to its promises. Inventory and data hard to utilize from the dashboard.

Response from Holden

Hi Lily,
Thanks very much for your feedback—I'm sorry to hear you've been having difficulties with your Revel POS. We are looking into this matter and will be reaching out shortly.

- Holden at Revel