Revel Systems

The Best iPad Point-of-Sale System

3.8 /5 (288 reviews) Write a Review!

Michael U.

Only good if your needs are very Basic

Reviewed on 23/4/2018

Overall Revel is a total letdown and will be replaced by year end with a better system, lots of things we were promised could be done require using their "Open API" which costs more per month than the entire POS system does for 5 stations. We were not told about the API pricing upfront (or that there was even a cost at all, it was pitched like it was included in the regular fee) just that we could use the API to do everything we told them we needed to do, my project manager informed me of the API pricing during our implementation, when I called out the sales rep for never mentioning the additional cost despite repeated conversations about how critical this was she told me "its not my job to tell you the pricing for the API since that's not my department"

It is also very difficult to impossible to find and load an order in the dashboard by customer. You have to load the customers orders report, find the customer in the list, click show orders, note the order number, then go to the order history report and then you can click through to the order, why isn't the order number under customers order a hyperlink to take me to the order?

They made a systems change to batch process updates to the POS instead of in realtime, we have a custom app that we use for check ins when a customer comes into the store and it adds customers to the revel system so we can link them to a sale and track close rate etc. They used to sync in real time from the dashboard to the stations, after a recent update it takes anywhere from 30-60 minutes for the customers to pull down from the revel dashboard. I have verified they show up on the dashboard instantly as they should, there is just a major delay in syncing back to the iPads now that was not there before the update.

Reporting is very weak in certain areas, you can't view profit by anything other than employee which is worthless if you don't have pay rates loaded which we don't since we aren't using that aspect of the system.

When we receive inventory in the store, we upload it into the revel dashboard via their excel template this works about 75% of the time, the rest of the time it just silently fails, you will never receive any notice that it failed, where it failed etc. So now before I do any uploads, I do an export of what we have immediately before so when it fails I can compare to the inventory after the partial upload to figure out where the import stopped so I can import the rest.

I could keep going but bottom line is if your needs are more than barebones or you are not a restaurant you should look elsewhere for a much better solution.

Pros

Overall they have a nice POS interface and it is pretty stable. Their pricing is also pretty good for the base system.

Cons

Functions are hard to find
Very much geared towards restaurants, so if you are in another business be prepared to see restaurant specific stuff all over you can't turn off
Material changes to the way things work with zero notice
Can only see profit margin by employee no P&L type report.
Inventory uploads regularly fail with no notice, and no way to tell what was added without doing a manual compare of before and after and trying again with the additional items.

Response from Sarah

Hi Michael,

I am truly sorry about your experience and I have shared your feedback with our sales management team, as well as the customer service team.

I am confident that once we get we get a bit more info from you, we will be able to come to a resolution in terms of API and reporting. Our customer service team will be happy to follow up on any outstanding issues you have.

Sarah, Customer Advocacy Manager at Revel

Bill H.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Revel, the good and the bad

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

Helpful with keeping track of sales and labor. Easy to learn and easy to train new employees on.

Pros

Easy to use and set up. The reports are pretty good. As a simple POS and time keeping system, it works well

Cons

If you need a POS that will help you with in depth inventory control, this is probably not the system for you

Response from Revel Systems

Thank you for the feedback, Bill. We'd love to hear about what we could do differently with our inventory management tool¿if you'd like, please submit a feature request at https://support.revelsystems.com/hc/en-us/articles/208479946-Suggest-a-New-Feature. Thanks again!

Kyle W.

We use it in a coffee shop, and it has helped a lot.

Reviewed on 1/2/2018

Pros

You can program it to accept tips on charge card which increased the barista's tips. IT was a lot better than our previous system.

Cons

The backend stuff is hard to figure out and the customer service isn't the best. Also you need quite a bit of training to be comfortable with using it on a day to day basis.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Kyle,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review and for the feedback!

Sarah at Revel

Kiera H.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Amazing features and functionality for accurate business analysis

Reviewed on 24/7/2018

Give your customer service agents at your call centers raises! I have spent dozens of hours on the phone and talked to numerous people from all over and every single one of them has surpassed all expectations of product knowledge and customer service! That makes a world of difference!

Pros

The features from a business owner's perspective are unparalleled. Everything is totally customizable tofu the specific and unique needs of individual businesses. The customer service alone makes this worth the money. I have never looked forward to calling customer service before, but the training of the employees of not just product knowledge, but also customer service is absolutely unmatched.

Cons

I have three specific areas of opportunity for Revel.
1) Taking payments of split checks (especially when one guest leaves earlier than others) is the worst system of any modern systems I have ever worked with. After splitting the checks, it is impossible to change the way you split the items if one guest has already paid and left. This really needs to be addressed if the product is going to be marketed to full service restaurants that have to deal with split payments on almost every party of 3 or more.
2) While I appreciate its modern focus, it is not easy to work with if a restaurant still uses paper gift certificates.
3) We were a "Guinea Pig" test restaurant for a salesman that had never worked with Revel before. He provided absolutely no help at all in setting up the system as he didn't know much about it himself. Even after he got back from training, he had to call customer service to answer simple questions I had. For such a complex and intricate system, there should be protocols in place for better training of the people selling it to be able to set it up for the customers.

Ben J.
  • Industry: Restaurants

confusing at first. much better now.

Reviewed on 21/10/2015

Pros

The analytics. Its great being able to look over past orders and watch trends

Cons

Tech support. The first year or so I spent a lot of time on the phone with tech support. Some of the problem was me just not understanding the system. Although a few of the problems were something I could not have known about. Tier 1 tech support was not helpful after a certain point. But it felt very difficult to get my problems looked at by someone with more knowledge. i was often told I would get a phone call back but never received a call. More often than not, I would get an email with a vaguely worded fix. After a year or so i would spend hours fixing a problem myself because this ended up being faster than calling tech support and waiting for an answer.
The lack of speaking to someone who can help fix the problem was very frustrating. Not to say tier one tech support was bad. they we're as helpful as they could be. But some of the problems we had needed someone with more knowledge. And the lack of speaking to that person was disappointing.

Response from Liza

Ben, thanks a lot for your review! We are working hard to expand our technical support team at the moment to deliver the best experience to our customers when they need help

Shawn W.

REVEL Systems Failed My Client

Reviewed on 16/2/2017

I am hoping to resolve the current issue between Revel and the organization Rethreaded. This nonprofit made a calculated move to switch to Revel with promises your sales team was unable to deliver. I hope, for the future of Rethreaded and Revel, that this matter can be resolved. I would truly like to turn this into a beautiful PR story and not PR nightmare.

Back in August, after a meeting with Rethreaded concerning their POS and CRM needs, I contacted QuickBooks looking for an integrated system to work with QuickBooks, while serving as a POS, and an ecommerce solution. QuickBooks suggested Revel be the solution to meet Rethreaded’s needs and believed because of Rethreaded’s nonprofit mission, working directly with Revel would prove to be a great fit.

When I first contacted QuickBooks about their system options, they gave a quote to me which I shared with Revel. I asked for Revel to match or beat that quote. I was assured it could be done. I reached out to Revel looking to discuss my project and was connected with a sales representative. I explained to him what my most important needs were and forwarded him the quote from QuickBooks. These needs were clearly explained to be: complete integration to QuickBooks with the ability to track multiples sales channels (retail, wholesale, corporate sales, home parties, warehouse events, outside events, and ecommerce) with a total of 9 POS systems with one being stationary and eight working in a retail environment, the option to go off-site and ring up transactions via the Verizon mobile network, tracking inventory to the ‘ingredient’ level, and a CRM system that would allow us to track a person from becoming a customer and also be potentially a volunteer, donor, vendor, or employee. This was key – tracking the same person and marketed to in each role specifically. I also soon found out the promise of different sales channels would be a sticking point in Rethreaded’s relationship with Revel.

The sales rep informed me that he was at the annual Revel Conference and would work directly with his supervisor to create a solution package that would fit my needs. I was always clear with them about Rethreaded and in an email on September 9th, “Allow me to put it like this, the reason we would agree to pay for you to install the system is my client felt like you cared about them and to create an amazing PR story for our local news (which has already agreed to cover the story).”

Revel promised to exceed our expectations. After several weeks of going back and forth with questions and concerns regarding the Revel platform meeting all of our needs, they shared with us that Revel would be able to exceed all of our requirements. Furthermore, they shared that if we switched to Intuit credit card processing, Rethreaded would qualify for a rebate through Intuit that would cover almost half of our Revel conversion costs. On September 12th, He emailed me the Terms and Conditions of the Intuit Cash Back Offer. We went back and forth throughout the month of September concerning pricing, even though I was originally told my quote from Intuit could be met. I even went as far to pass along monthly invoice sent to Rethreaded. Rethreaded wanted to switch their system for improved features at a fair cost because of their nonprofit status.

Revel seemed like a company full of solutions. Another solution presented was in the installation of the system. After they expressed to me that Revel was the number one POS system in retail locations, together we, saw the opportunity to train Rethreaded survivors to become experts on Revel’s front-end management system. This would allow them to further grow their career skill set and offer a better future. This was a key selling point of going with Revel, rather than building a proprietary system.

Even terminology started changing. It is important to note that during the sales process, I kept referring to our POS systems as individual POS systems. He kept referring to them as order takers. My response was I am not looking at order takers but a POS system. He indicated that an order taker and a POS were the same system. The truth that came out was the systems were in fact different. In text message conversations and phone conversations, I kept redirecting Justin to understand that we wanted one stationary POS and eight mobile POS, the contract kept changing with me needing to clarify again and again. He quoted the entire package, including cases, and when I started reading the specifics I noticed cases were missing. He then reverted it back to the original, if I had been diligent my client would have suffered.

I was led to believe that I would save time, effort, and money if I hired Revel for the installation and training. Furthermore, he informed me that it would be much easier if we paid an additional fee to have Revel do the complete install and training. They proposed that it would save time on the install which would reduce my budget cost and that by being trained by a Revel professional, the Rethreaded organization would have the ability to go live the same day. To conclude our sales process, the final step was the approval by the executive board of Rethreaded. The board requested a meeting with Revel’s representatives, in which they would give a complete demo and answer questions/concerns about Rethreaded’s workflow and Revel’s ability to meet those needs.

During that call, we went through a number of questions. I left the meeting feeling confident and even emailed them after the meeting saying, “I feel the meeting was very productive and answered all of Rethreaded’s questions…”
The Board meeting with them supposedly answered our questions. Here are some issues we went through during the meeting: Jason asked if Revel would be able to group products into either sales channels or product groups. He responded that, yes, Revel supports this with the option to build classes of people to make everything more specific. He further stated that automated reports would be emailed daily with the ability to track by sales channel and product group. The sales channels were defined as retail, wholesale, corporate sales, home parties, warehouse events, outside events, and ecommerce. We were also informed that commissions could be recorded on a transaction by transaction basis driven by who was logged into the device. Retail channels for Rethreaded were discussed. Once again (and without any reference to a price change), myself and he with the Board were assured a wholesale, retail, home channel, and any other sales channel would be possible. We were told directly by him that the person ringing in a transaction would simply need to login by event type. These tasks can only be achieved by having multiple establishments which equates to your Enterprise package. This price difference was never discussed. We were led to believe it was all included in what we were getting.

Customer tracking translates to funding for Rethreaded. As mentioned earlier, Jason and the Board were also adamant that customers needed to be categorized properly. Rethreaded needed to assign customers to the right categories. Often the same person belongs to multiple groups whether they be a customer, volunteer, employee, or a donor. If not, the cost of switching systems would not provide enough return on investment to Rethreaded. As a nonprofit, every single dollar they make can be directly translated to getting women out of sex trafficking. For some clients what may be a lost sale or commission to Rethreaded could mean a lost opportunity to employ another woman or help a person get out of the trade.

Rethreaded was never made aware of the additional costs of an Enterprise system. Finally, they led us to believe these capabilities were in the package we were purchasing and never indicating there would be an additional cost beyond the initial installation. The entire call led us to believe that the Revel representative coming to the training would teach us the CRM. Jason asked about the ability to scan barcodes, he responded that the M-Tab reader had the Bluetooth scanning capability built-in. Upon receiving the M-Tab scanner, we were sent scanners that did not have the built-in capability for barcode reading. **Simply put, this was one of many times your company dropped the ball.**

I was led to believe the Revel Training Expert would be my answer to every installation and training concern. His overall answer to getting everything setup the way we asked was, “That is why you are hiring the Revel expert for training.” Myself, the CEO of my company, the Board all believed that the Revel Installation would be the situation where all of our issues were solved. If it fell under the umbrella of installation or training, the on-site Revel installer would handle all of the setup issues. After that meeting, Rethreaded and I had complete confidence that Revel was the solution for us. We went into the final approvals of hardware and service packages. During this time of looking at the hardware, Justin had failed to include all items that were originally quoted to us by QuickBooks. When He sent over the final quote, he had removed several of the M-tab readers and cases. In our email on September 28th, he acknowledged his mistake and included the missing hardware. During our sales process, several times, I had to point he back to our first conversation and the quote I originally sent from QuickBooks. Throughout the process, it seemed like he was trying to upcharge me past what I had been originally quoted. (On a personal level I appreciated the true care extended to us during Hurricane Matthew as the path of the hurricane went right through Jacksonville).

It was only my diligence on pricing that saved Rethreaded, a nonprofit organization, unwarranted expenses. When I received the final quote on September 28th, I directly asked him how much the shipping costs would be and made him aware again that Rethreaded was a nonprofit business that is not charged tax. He responded that shipping would be high. I expressed this was a high price but recognized the necessity of accepting. I found out days later that Revel had charged me the tax and clumped it into one fee as a shipping fee. Once it was discovered, I was credited back the taxable fees (after several emails) and I was charged the correct shipping amount. **Once again, this shows your company trying to make another dollar and dropping the ball.**

The onboarding process was not made clear. Upon signing our agreements, I received an avalanche of emails for an onboarding process. After reviewing the avalanche of emails, I sent him an email and spoke with him on or about October 18th, stating that if I followed everything requested in the emails for onboarding, then I saw no need for Revel to come and do the install and wanted to go about getting a refund for the installation and training as I felt I could do it myself. I requested a documentation that clearly outlined what came with the install, I did not receive this for two days. I also requested a meeting with them regarding cancelling the install and getting a refund. During that call, I was informed by them to do my best in completing the initial 8 steps of the onboarding. Anything else, I was assured would be completed by Revel’s installation team. They assured me the best option was to have an installer from the Revel team come out and still save me the headache the install.

I was sent the wrong routers and also iPad minis which I had to ship at my cost. Once I got the equipment, he also contacted me to inform me that he realized that the network routers he originally sent to run our Revel system was not adequate to run our Revel system. Having to send additional equipment **Once again dropping the ball showing another mistake that was made by your sales team.**

Rodrigo was essential in assisting with installation, yet he still couldn’t meet the promised timeline. In addition to the training, I once again brought up my concern about creating the sales order process, the ingredients, and how that would be set up as well as the CRM. I was reassured that the Revel training and installation team would handle all of that and do a superior job. Upon the day of installation, I had the privilege of meeting with Rodrigo and quickly discovering that if I had done the whole onboard process that my system would have already been set up and the only thing he would have had to do is train me. Instead of doing the entire process, I was assured by them to relax and the day of the install would go smoothly.

On the day of the install this was quickly found not to be true. After going through the install with Rodrigo, it confirmed that if I had done the entire onboarding process I would have not have needed to pay for the install or training. Furthermore, after working throughout the day with Rodrigo, at several different points of the install, he informed us that Revel would not be able to do key functionality that we had requested – like sales channels. He stated that we would have to have additional establishments and I would need to talk with my sales reps about how to activate those establishments. This was the main reason we selected Revel and decided to change systems at all.

Upon receiving the hardware, I left everything in the box for the day of the install. I only pulled out the main iPad so I could complete the minimum necessary steps for onboarding advised by them. The day of the install, I brought the equipment and Rodrigo opened the box. Rodrigo led me to believe we were given one extra M-tab and case.TI informed him of the extra equipment only to be told by Rodrigo later, that he had made a mistake, it was not extra equipment. It was the actual M-tab and case that would hold the iPad currently running Rethreaded’s current POS system, Vend. Rodrigo can confirm that I had no extra equipment so at this point in time, we demand that invoice #210571 for immediately removed from our account. During the day of the install, all we could accomplish was the install and a 50% training on the backend. Nothing was trained on the front end, nor was the system able to go live as promised during the whole sales process. **Once again dropping the ball showing another mistake of your sales team.**

The webinar training provided by Rodrigo should not be charged to my account. Rodrigo went over and beyond trying to resolve all of the issues that the sales reps had created. I am grateful for his offer and kindness but it still did not meet what was offered/promised during the sales process. In addition, Rodrigo did a front-end training via webinar which we documented and used to create a custom training document for Rethreaded [click the link for the document]. This webinar training should not be a charged as a part of the install and training because this is offered for free to anyone signing up for Revel (as it was not done at Rethreaded’s location).

When I returned hardware sent to me, I did not receive the refund in a timely manner. I still don’t have the money back. He sent us the incorrect iPad Minis. He was completely aware and directly told that these iPads would need mobile data capability, preferably with Verizon capability. Instead he sent us the Wi-Fi only iPad Minis. In the replacement process of the iPad Minis, he requested for us to return the wrong ones and that I would be charged for the new ones in the meantime. I hesitated to do this because I felt that there was no need for the duplicate charge. I paid out of my own pocket to ship it, expedite it, insure it, and for signature confirmation. Upon delivery, I did not receive the refund as promised.

In fact, the refund only started because I followed through on tracking and determined the package had been delivered. Your company signed for the unopened products on November 9th. On November 17th, I was told by him that we would get our refund in three to five days. By November 25th, I had been handed off to a brand-new person who was then telling me I would need to wait an additional 3-5 business days. I escalated the issue with my bank and they gave Revel a full week to resolve the matter. As of today, the matter has yet to be resolved.**Someone dropped the ball on this one.**

QuickBooks ProAdvisors could not perform what was promised to be by Revel. Meaning, what I was promised was not possible. After the install and training was complete, I contacted my sales rep asking him about setting up additional establishments or how to clearly define my sales channels. My exact words as of November 15th were “I shared my concerns several times during the sales processes that Revel sounded good but I was very concerned that it wouldn’t be able to be configured to our needs…only to have every objective overcome by him or yourself reassuring me Revel was the answer for our needs.”
Rethreaded never would have switched if different sales channels weren’t included. I was informed by both of them that my QuickBooks expert would have to configure that on the QuickBooks side. I hired QuickBooks Certified professional and ProAdvisor. During her time of setting up the proper mapping for QuickBooks, she clearly shared with me that there is no way to set up sales channels because there were no sales channels set up by Revel as originally requested. He directed us to work directly with Revel’s QuickBooks specialist. We tried for several hours while my own expert was on site and working with Revel’s team – with no success. At that point, I needed to confirm my beliefs that the only way that the sales channels could be created is through establishments. Establishments are only offered in the Enterprise package.

An additional QuickBooks ProAdvisor confirmed Revel could not deliver as promised without a considerable price hike. To confirm I had set up everything properly and integrated Revel, we contacted advanced QuickBooks ProAdvisor and Certified Revel POS Consultant. He confirmed that I was completely correct and that the only way I could establish sales channels were through additional establishments and that yes this was an Enterprise feature. He agreed this should not be an enterprise feature considering this is the same business, same tax ID, and same entity just to be able to track all of the sales channels. I shared all of the details I had gone through with the sales process as well as what the installation was to do, he then advised me that I was completely on the right track and this wasn’t the first time he had seen a Revel install go the wrong direction because of the sales rep giving misleading information.

Rethreaded was misled during the sales process. Upon confirming my discovery, I reached out to them to bring it to their attention that I had been misled during the sales process and that I confidently believe Revel should provide the enterprise service offering at no additional cost. I believe a number of mistakes were made by him, not because of his abilities as a sales person, but because of his inexperience with your product. When these mistakes were detected, he backpedaled on his terms. The only reason I continue to work through this process is because his ability as a sales representative has been phenomenal. He was a sales representative that didn’t understand this product and had a pushy sales manager, like a used car salesman, leading him in the wrong direction.

I would like to offer the following solution to this issue: I can reconcile this issue right away, as long as M-tab scanners can be exchanged for a Bluetooth capable option and Rethreaded is offered 18 months of the Enterprise plan. I formally request that for the life of the 18-month contract, that the enterprise functionality, or the ability to add additional establishments, is given to Rethreaded at no additional costs – under the condition that it is still run under the same tax ID and reseller’s certificate. This would not be a condition if Rethreaded opened an additional sales location. I request CEO of Reve to meet with the women of Rethreaded either in person or via video chat to speak about the trials, tribulations, and successes of being a woman-owned business and the success she’s had in the past three years. All would be to give hope to the survivors that they can achieve whatever their hopes or dreams may be. As mentioned many times via email and by phone, Revel was of great interest to us not only for their product offerings but for their woman-owned business status. This serves as an inspiration for Rethreaded’s survivors. I know this would be an advantageous meeting for both Rethreaded and Revel.

In the event that my request cannot be met, we would like a full refund for every penny spent with Revel to include: hardware, software, training, installation, shipping, and any additional fees incurred by my company of loss of time or efforts.

REVEL HAS FAILED TO AGRRE TO FAIR TERMS AND NOW WON"T ACCEPT A REFUND. Keep in mind Revel dragged out the 30 day refund period to defraud be out of the ability to exercise my right to a refund.

Pros

There aren't any pros.

Cons

Misleading sales and lack of customer service.

Emily C.

Full of Glitches

Reviewed on 7/11/2016

We've been with Revel for about 8 months now. I am on the phone with customer support weekly, nearly daily. Our initial integration with Quickbooks was not well supported by their staff and eventually I had to just teach myself how to get the system set up and integrated. We have constantly had issues that when I contact customer service they tell me they don't know why it happened and it must be a glitch in the software. My credit card machine broke after 7 months and Revel could not figure out how to fix it so I called the manufacturer and they told me it was a software issue. Revel's solution was to trade in for a new one, rather than try to figure out what the software issue was. The first customer service agent I spoke to did not even have the manual for the pin pad that I was using.

Multiple times Revel has stopped speaking to Quickbooks without warning and our data has not been pushed through as it should. I've been told that the exchange feature that is built in to the front end of the system does not actually work and so we should stop using it and do a work around so that our entries into Quickbooks will be correct. My completed invoices have gotten stuck between the Ipad and the back office and the payments have therefore not been received into Quickbooks until I discovered the problem. Revel has multiple times overtaken Quickbooks and changed the vendor information in Quickbooks. After multiple phone calls to customer support for a single issue I've eventually been told that my system is out of date and that's what's causing the problem, but it was never brought up in initial phone calls. In the same vein, there is no indication from Revel that I should update the system. In fact for the last update, the app told me that it was the most up to date, but finally on the back end of Revel there was a warning that I needed to update or my system would be obsolete. In fact I was running the most up to date version of the app, but what needed to be done was to download an entirely new app-that was not made clear in Revel's warning, I just happened to figure it out myself. Furthermore, had I not happened to log into Revel's back end on that particular day, I would not have known that I was required to update.

One day the back office stopped sending our daily emailed reports. When I spoke to customer support they told me that it was because the email addresses where the report was sent were separated by commas and not semi-colons. When I mentioned that the commas had been working for 7 months they told me that it was due to an update on their back end that now required semi-colons. When asked how I was supposed to know that and change it I was told that it had been a "known issue" for over a month and that some businesses had a problem and some didn't so they didn't let customers know about the issue.

With all the issues I've had, I've never been able to speak to a supervisor or had any kind of conciliatory gesture like a reduced price made for me and in fact had to pay shipping to and from returning my credit card machine. When I speak to customer service about issues related to Quickbooks integration, they are not trained on Quickbooks so generally cannot help me.

Overall the system is extremely glitchy and inconsistent. It cannot be counted on to work the same way from day to day.

Pros

-When it works it is more robust and better at speaking to Quickbooks than any other POS systems that we've used.

Cons

There are many, many issues that I can't explain because it works fine one day and not at all the next, with no reason.
-Past POS companies have emailed me monthly updates about changes that are coming and information about updating the app or problems that have been discovered. Revel does no such thing.

Response from Sarah

Hi Emily,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced frustration with the QuickBooks integration. I've looked into your support ticket history and it looks like support has resolved your most recent ticket. Additionally, in reviewing your QuickBooks support history with a QB Support Specialist, it appears that our sync has paused most frequently following deletion or removal of QuickBooks records, which the system references. This would be true with any accounting and point-of-sale integration and we recommend that customers do not delete Revel created accounts or records. In an effort to resolve this, our next release will include an enhancement where Revel and QuickBooks notify each other of deleted records to prevent syncing issues.

We send emails alerting customers about coming updates and features and it may be that you've accidentally unsubscribed.

I've asked our Client Relations team to reach out to you to resolve any outstanding issues and provide you with additional customer service. Thank you for your feedback.

Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Joseph K.
  • Industry: Entertainment

A solid system that works for me....

Reviewed on 4/1/2018

Overall I'm very happy with the product.

Pros

Great customer service techs, they are knowledgable and someone is always available. Easy to update products, expandability, gift card applications a good feature, and the reporting is excellent. Probably the best feature. It really helps with budgeting and menu decisions.

Cons

I found the inventory system to be lacking. It is very hard to set up and very time consuming. It would be nice for new customers to have the option of Revel entering all of their products and not just trying to transfer from a spreadsheet. There were many mistakes and I wound up having to create the entire product page myself.

Lindsay M.

Great customer service

Reviewed on 11/4/2018

Pros

Once you get the hang of it, everything is very easy to navigate. Also customer support is great every time.

Cons

It would be nice if you could actually go in and delete an item, class, etc. and reenter it rather than making it inactive

Response from Sarah

Hi Lindsay,

Thank you so much for the 5-stars all around! Happy to hear that Revel is working well for your store.

In terms of the inactive product issue, I am happy to share your feedback with our product developers. From a technical standpoint, our product engineers would not want to ever delete any data as it is historical -- doing that would impact your historical data and would have a negative impact on your reporting. That said, I know that our product team is working on a way to make the inactive products less in the way.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback on Software Advice!

Sarah, Customer Advocacy Manager at Revel

Scott S.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great product if you have the time to put into it.

Reviewed on 3/1/2019

Pros

We like how you can really tailor it to your business. We run a bar and bottle shop, and can sell by using an ingredient or a product. The reporting is pretty extensive. The timekeeping and scheduling keep everything in one place.

Cons

The backend takes a bit of a learning curve. It will take some time to learn how to operate and get used to he format.

Response from Holden

Thank you for your feedback, Scott. Let us know at [email protected] if there are any features you'd like to hear more about or if there are any other sticky spots on the learning curve we can help with.

Joshua B.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Revel Systems are intuitive, easy to use, and supported by a relatively flexible customer...

Reviewed on 27/10/2017

Pros

I like the intuitive functionality and the breadth of options for a point-of-sale system. While it is not necessarily the most chain-friendly system, it is flexible enough and would probably be ideal for an independent company.

Cons

It is not as adaptable for very specific systems (like for a chain restaurant), and sometimes the customer service is contracted out to people who are not primary English speakers, which makes it more difficult to resolve problems (though their expertise is sufficient and oftentimes very good).

Mars M.

Revel is a really strong platform that does many things well, but is clearly designed for the...

Reviewed on 12/7/2018

Revel is so close to being really great, I just wish it had a little more focus placed on the retail environment.

Pros

It is the only tablet-based POS system that has a robust inventory system.
Lots of reporting options.
clear desire for cost/expense tracking built in.
For small issues, the support team is very responsive, particularly if you call on the phone.

Cons

The inventory functionality seems better for high quantity but low sku count businesses, we have a low quantity but high sku count business and its weaknesses show through in our environment.
The App keeps taking simple tasks and when it is "upgraded" there just seem to be more button presses added.

Kim T.

An affordable POS system

Reviewed on 18/7/2017

Our speed of checking out a customer has more than quadrupled over our old Quickbooks system. The customers are much happier.

Pros

Revel is responsive to our concerns, and has made changes based on our suggestions. Checkout of a customer is very rapid.

Cons

It was originally developed for the bar/restaurant industry. We are a garden center. Some of the features are not well suited to that. Reports could be easier to customize to our needs. The thing we like the least is the inability to see the open account customers open balance from the back office.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Kim,

What a nice review! Thank you for posting to Capterra and for sharing your feedback. I appreciate your input as a retail customer - we are working very hard on our retail capability this year so I am sure you will see some great features with our next software release.

Thank you, again!
Sarah, Community Manager at Revel

Kanwarinder G.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great software and easy to use

Reviewed on 13/9/2018

I have been using Revel for the past year or so and would definitely recommend this all the other business partners.
Great system, the UI is customize able to fulfill your needs and the best part is most of the customization can be done using your management console.
There is a 24 hours support available in case of any issues.

Pros

Customize able to your needs, easy to use, built for any business, 24 hours support line available for your help.

Cons

Haven't seen any issues so far with this system, hence nothing much to mention here.
Like I stated the support team is great and in case you run into any kind of issues they are always on the phone to assist.

Response from Holden

Wow, Kanwarinder! We are floored by your feedback and so delighted that you're enjoying your Revel POS. Thanks for being such an awesome customer. - Holden at Revel

Matt M.

Easy to use!

Reviewed on 27/10/2017

Pros

The Revel system is very easy to use. Everything can be changed, added or deleted quickly and easily and updates in a snap!

Cons

My only complaint is the way "paid outs" are done. The cash taken in the paid out does not get reflected in the end of day cash total, making the days cash appear short even though a proper paid out has been completed. It should adjust and show the exact cash total for the day.

Steven L.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Time and money well spent!

Reviewed on 13/6/2017

All in all, dollar for dollar, Revel Systems is definitely worth the price. There's not one system out there that you will not get frustrated at. Revel is no exception to this. However, for the most part, they have handled my frustration well, if not as timely as I would like. Still, 100% a great system and a great deal.

Pros

Easy setup. Standard POS arrangement for goods and services. No "back-office" computer as everything is accessible from any computer with internet access.

Cons

Forced change of password (proven to be a security risk). Some options released before they work. Lack of responsiveness.

Nathan B.

Revel for Retail Application

Reviewed on 29/10/2017

Pros

It is easy to use, very flexible, and meets all my needs. I like that I can program it to do what I want it to. Additionally, it has very useful and easy to find and read reports.

Cons

Start up costs can be a little pricey for a new business on a limited budget. Month to month costs are very reasonable.

Marck S.

Like the product when it works ...

Reviewed on 25/5/2016

Pros

The Cloud based implementation and the amount of functionality available. Would prefer more focus on quality over the amount of enhancements.

Cons

Support and Quality is very poor. Getting attention to issues is very difficult that are not solved easily. The quality of releases has improved but we still hold our breath anytime we do an upgrade. There is very little information available on how to use new features or even existing ones and to get any help beyond basic level help takes a long time. Each time we have an issue I expect to spend hours dealing with emails and calls to get it addressed. There have been times when I report a problem and the first response is to do something I indicated in my request I had already tried or done. There is no commitment on the amount of time they will get back to you and I have had issues where my POS was down completely and could not get any help for hours and hours.

Response from Sarah

Hello Marck,
I've sent you an email to discuss your feedback in greater detail. I'm sorry to hear you've experienced some frustrating support issues. I'd like to hear your suggestions for improvement. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here.

Alejandro S.

Swim or you will sink and drown!

Reviewed on 23/9/2015

Pros

It is on line, very versatile, seems more suitable for restaurants than retail. Customer Service staff has a great attitude.

Cons

No f2f support was provided, all the implementation and initial set up was intuitive, over the phone. Not all the functionality offered was in place, nor working properly. Doing set up as we were learning the system. The sales representative did not provide any advise, nor fulfilled their promises. Total lack of commitment.
After 3 months of learning to swim and survive the implementation, at the same time we were opening a new business, we received an invoice for monthly fees never disclosed to us before. If I had known them, would have not chosen this software. Even there is no a contract in place, nor any other document advising their expensive fees, when I question them, the answer I got was take it or leave it. Their hardware can not be utilized for other software. Then you are stuck with them and their bills.

Response from Liza

Sorry to hear about the difficulties setting up the system and unexpected charges. We are glad to know everything worked out in the end and making sure our pricing model is well understood by new clients.

Pat M.

Revel has been Fantastic

Reviewed on 27/10/2017

In general I would recommend Revel to anyone. Restaurants, quick service establishment, bar and deli.

Pros

The reporting capabilities and the ease of use and the reliability of the Networking equipment used makes our systems rock solid. The KDS has also been so beneficial.

Ryan S.

Great Software

Reviewed on 3/10/2016

Revel is a great software and I've enjoyed working with it for my first restaurant. It seems to be very customizable and reliable as we've never had any issues with down time.

Pros

Options for most situations and plenty of flexibility in the software. Easy to use POS interface and very quick to work with.

Cons

Online ordering is still not 100%, they're still working out a lot of the bugs and does not have some of the things I was promised (as of October 2016). The back end is VERY confusing and difficult to learn. They give you a support rep which is nice but they defer a lot of questions to the technical support team in which some of them are not helpful at all. Overall, I haven't been thrilled with their support team.

Kaitlin S.

Reviewed on 13/9/2018

Pros

Easy to use/user friendly. Our experience with the staff of Revel has been great. Customer support has been phenomenal up to this point. We almost didn't have credit card readers to use because the bluetooth wasn't working but we were escalated to a support guy who helped us out in his free time. We're lucky with who are project manager was and having her contacts available to us.

Cons

We had a lot of growing pains in the beginning. The bluetooth devices were not working and we had to contact a Revel support person at their home to get them working. This was stressful as we were set to open our first very busy night of our outdoor season and no ability to take a credit card.

Tony T.

Laundromat service user

Reviewed on 5/4/2017

Good product, reporting, great customer support, a little pricey monthly but easy for staff to use and almost never goes down. Love the integration with QuickBooks online.

Pros

Great value and easy to use.

Cons

A little pricey with multiple locations.

Greg S.

Worst POS system I have ever used - removed after install - review long overdue

Reviewed on 21/2/2018

We are a successful multi-unit restaurant group that operates restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area

Pros

This system is for QSR counter service - NOT full service restaurants. WAY better systems than Revel

Cons

NOT meant for full service restaurants. This was literally one of the worst business mistakes I have ever made. Without a doubt the worst customer service I have ever experienced. The system is not designed for full service restaurants, has connectivity issues and frequently crashed.

Response from Sarah

Hi Greg,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I have checked our records and it looks like you were a customer nearly 2 years ago. I hope we have made some strides in our restaurant capability and network stability since then and I do apologize that we were not able to meet and exceed your expectations.

Sarah at Revel

Revel

Reviewed on 28/3/2019

We spent almost 50k on the system to change it to ecrs only 10 months later.

Pros

clean userface, nice looking sleek system

Cons

the functions that dont work, very poor customer service.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi there¿we're sorry to hear about your negative experience but appreciate your feedback. We wish you and your business the best.