Lavu POS

Cloud-based iPad POS system for the restaurant industry

3.0/5
3.3/5
3.7/5
3.1/5

94 Software options

• Industry: Management Consulting

Former Lavu User

Reviewed on 17/7/2020

Overall, for the two years the system was satisfacotry. Until recenlty it was for the current management at the restaurant. The dealer is helpful - he is our first line of tech support before we go to KLAvu for support.

Pros

I liked using Lavu because it was the first POS for the restaurant where I worked. While I was employed there I used the system for 2 years. The set up was easy as the dealer came to the restaurant and set it up and did a one day training for the staff.

Cons

They system seems to have alot of glitches. Recently, the restaurant reported to me that they had a glitch and lost printers. Tech support finally helped and got the printers up but somehow lost half the menu. Also, I have witnessed personally that the sales tax is charging out properly.

Toast POS

Reasons for Choosing Lavu POS

We needed better reporting and labor tracking.

Reasons for Switching to Lavu POS

The fees and support were better by Lavu at the time.
Michael S.

Great inventory and POS software

Reviewed on 11/11/2019

Great inventory and POS software. Ease of use and easy to teach employees to use.

Pros

Ability to have multiple locations. Ability to make inventory items easily. Ability to use an iPad for inventory counts.

Cons

Have to manually bath credit cards at end of day.

Enung N.

fraud by billing request or shutdown lavu

Reviewed on 4/9/2017

Pros

about the sistem we are of course happy after one year of lavu at our restaurant, our job is helping from lavu, accouting administration kitchen and all is going in perfect harmonies

Cons

fraud by billing request or shut down lavu. Yes that happen two times , last time few days ago I get a message on a strange open windows of lavu account, was about to pay or shutdown the system but we always pay, so I was worry what happen if shotdown lavu at my place then they ask the min payment, so I used my credit card for pay it but at end they took more for Hosting PAID without any consense from me. we used to pay an agent of lavu so he doesn't answer fast half and that can happen. Now he said like last time they will refund to me but of course after some month... so disappointed about it. Hope to try back faster my money because the agent he asks me to pay him to because isn't his fault. hope someone tries to explain and solve my problem.

Lori M.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Lavu has been great for us!

Reviewed on 25/7/2018

Financial Reports. Time cards/Payroll. Theft of employees. Tip tracking. Busy hours of operation. Training testimonials. All of this is helpful to us.

Pros

Customer service is fantastic! The best support out there, we really feel like they listen to us and are responsive when we need something.

Cons

Initial set up of the hardware was a little clunkier than I hoped. Software was way easier and then we were up and running.

Doug S.
  • Industry: Restaurants

I am very glad we use this software.

Reviewed on 1/10/2015

Pros

I have been a Lavu customer for over 16 months. The system is fantastic. We used to use Aloha. I have been able to cut my employee costs and increase customer satisfaction.

Cons

Not answering calls and having to wait for them to call back. While they did that very quickly for the most part, I sure do like when they answer. They have been working to make that happen.

Hollis S.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Keep up the good work Lavu.

Reviewed on 2/10/2015

Pros

Lavu is a great POS system at an affordable price, systems like the one I have would have cost me double or triple of what I paid. Inventory, hourly sales, employee time, the list goes on and on of what it’s capable of doing Their team at Lavu are always improving on there operation system it almost seems monthly.

Cons

It would be nice if it were available on Android tablets.

Sean P.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great solution....as long as you never plan on leaving!

Reviewed on 5/5/2021

Multiple price increases with no communication. Have tried to cancel for 5 months, multiple emails, cases, conversations and promises to cancel, just got our 4th email this week that they can't process our card. No access to accounting, don't believe me call their number. Had to fight charges and cancelled the credit card to stop them from billing. Do yourself a favor pick something else. We moved to Square for everything!

Pros

Used the software for 9 years, pretty easy to use and setup decent feature set, great that it was Ipad/iphone based instead of having to buy specific hardware.

Cons

Light to non-existent integration to Square for credit card processing.

Lauren J.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Lavu very helpful with bistro service

Reviewed on 14/10/2016

Our bistro started using Lavu before I arrived, and when I was training it was very helpful to be able to see pictures of dishes I was ringing in. While there are some printer issues sometimes, the interface is great (very straightforward). You can even send directions for delivery orders when taking an order over the phone!

Pros

The pictures are so handy for standard menu items. Obviously if we are running specials we don't have pictures of those items, but for those who are more visual this is very helpful. Also helps train new staff on what each plate looks like.

Cons

Sometimes there are a lot of connectivity issues, especially with multiple printers (kitchen/bar/etc.)

Kevin G.

Excellent, fast, easy-to-use system

Reviewed on 30/11/2017

Pros

Simple, fast order taking with plenty of options. Easy to use on IOS devices. Very reasonable cost.

Cons

Not much not to like. Configuration takes time, but comparable to others. Reporting is a little inflexible, but necessary reports are available and work well.

Mike S.

The software is easy to use and to learn.

Reviewed on 3/9/2015

We are a bakery that changes product often. We run daily and monthly specials. The software allows us to make changes quickly, which is critical for us. We are also open late and offer specials during our late night hours. The system allows us to capture specific hours and run specials/happy hour during those hours. I employ primarily high school and college age kids. For many of them, we're their first job. Training them on the LAVU POS has been easy and does't take much time. This is key, as I don't spend operational time with staff that doesn't know what there doing on the POS.

Ben P.

Terrible Customer Service and Support

Reviewed on 29/8/2018

Pros

There is nothing positive I can say about this product. Lavu does not care about their clients just their bank account

Cons

There was no support as soon as they received our money. They promised everything and we received nothing. DO NOT CHOOSE LAVU YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED

Alan F.

Don't use Lavu unless you want a mountain of headache

Reviewed on 29/4/2016

Terrible product, even worse customer service. Cancelled our service with them over a year ago because it was loaded with bugs and constantly crashed.

James S.

Reviewed on 24/10/2018

Stephanie S.

Not really for Bars

Reviewed on 27/10/2020

We're a high volume craft beer bar. It can start tabs. It works for now. If the complaint list keeps growing, we'll have to switch. It works fine, but when it doesn't work, it totally halts service.

Pros

I guess it's easy to use, but it's kinda clunky. Programming is inconsistent across different devices. The speed is ok. It does what I need it to do, which the #1 reason I went with Lavu over Square was that you could start a bar tab with a preauthorization.

Cons

LAVU complaints

Should get Free set up support 1 month a year; if there is an update we should get free support
Quick serve shouldn't disappear
Can't Add a cc to an existing tab - currently deletes the new order
Needs Select and Repeat button
Needs Fewer approval buttons
Should Show change on screen
Should add auto grat to total tips
Can't Change auto grat, % or amount
On tip page, be able to enter tip or total, and show total.
Entered tips should disappear from screen - be able to filter list
On End of Day reports page, discounts and auto grat need to be included. Auto grats dont go to the business. Service charges do.
Auto grats need to show on payments page
Chip cards cant start tabs. Cant have 2 processors in lavu - chip card and swipe card types
Tip screen times out , and deletes entered tips

Heather B.
  • Industry: Restaurants

A good system but customer support is most often disappointing

Reviewed on 5/1/2018

Pros

Joshua Maestas from customer service was so incredibly helpful. He took time to listen to the complicated scenario we were trying to resolve. He followed up when and how he said he would. Most of the time our customer service experience is frustrating but he was truly a breath of fresh air.

Cons

Back end reporting; customer service. There are programming bugs and we continuously are told "development is working on it" but never saw any resolution. If it isn't a priority for you and not intended to be fixed then don't tell us it is being fixed.

Wes O.

STAY AWAY

Reviewed on 27/11/2017

Pros

The interface is user friendly, and tickets get sent to kitchen without many problems. But we could do this with paper

Cons

Everything else! Whenever we have a issue they send it to the "developmental team" also known as the black hole. When we signed up they said "offline processing was in the works" that was 2 years ago. Reports are literally ALWAYS wrong. If you look at sales on two different reports they never are the same. For a span of about three months they miscalculated sales tax, having us over pay hundreds of dollars! For a long time they randomly doubled numbers on server reports, and now there is a random .50 added to numbers on servers reports. I have a tax background an I informed them the liability they were putting on us and our servers by misreporting so they showed me on the IRS website where they were right, THEY SET UP THERE SYSTEM BASED OFF THE WRONG PART OF THE IRS CODE. Not to mention that it randomly opens tickets from all different times that we have to re-close and I'm not sure we get paid for them or not. When we call customer support they are really nice, but our issues always get sent to the "Developmental Team" to never be heard about again!

Brian K.
  • Industry: Restaurants

After one full year - still happy

Reviewed on 13/6/2017

Overall, a good product and always recommend to others.

Pros

System is fairly easy to use and navigate. Easy to setup menus and configure accordingly. Customer support is pretty responsive and quick although sometimes questionable knowledge to help with all situations. Cost for system is excellent.

Cons

Fonts can be a bit small on pos interface and thus hard to read. No big cons to comment on other than have had some big hassles configuring system to work with different credit card merchants and being bounced back and forth with customer support to resolve.

Clay S.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Stay away. This company is so unorganized and the customer support has gone WAY downhill.

Reviewed on 18/3/2021

I just wanted to inform people of my experience. I wouldn't recommend using this company to anyone. Borderline criminal activity. After I decided to stop using them they continue to keep charging my card every month and when I call in to get this stopped and ask for a refund I just get looped around in circles. It honestly has taken me 10-15x of me calling in to finally get someone who will eventually refund my card. To be honest that was for the first time and the second time they still haven't even refunded me. It's the most frustrating thing I've ever had to deal with.

Pros

The cost was the only benefit of this software when I launched it 2 years ago. After they increased the pricing (with absolutely no warning) it was inline with most of the other softwares which are much more robust.

Cons

Where do I begin. Honestly, we had so many issues I don't know where to start listing the problems. There are many.

Jet J.

A value buy

Reviewed on 15/5/2017

This product works very well for me and gives me a great value at the price point of the equipment.

Pros

It is very customizable. I'm a midsize family business and the cost really hits the sweet spot. The fact that they use apple only products forces me to pay a premium price for the hardware but I know that the equipment will retain its value. They always end up answering my questions even if it takes a while but I can make changes and check the numbers instantly.

Cons

This product does need to be used with a fast internet set up. My set up is 75/75 so it's quite fast. I have no problems with it working and can make changes anywhere but I'm tech savvy and I do suggest an additional purchase of a laptop if you do not have one to do in depth tracking and editing.

Jason K.
  • Used for 1+ year

Generally Satisfied, no Major Issues

Reviewed on 13/6/2017

I like your service in general. No serious issues.

Pros

I like all the options that you see and change yourself on the backend from the internet. General usability is also pretty easy and straight forward.

Cons

Not many cons. Some functions like splitting checks seem to be a bit complicated for some of our waitresses. The more intricate features, which is to be suspected I suppose. We have also had some problems with customer service in the past, one person telling us it's the credit card merchant and them telling us to call you, very complicated and a pain in the ass. Your customer service reps need to know what they are talking about.

Jurij K.

I had an overall excellent experience with Lavu, especially with Jessica Schell

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

control over my business especially financial over view as to what we are doing and where the business is going.

Pros

Its easy to use, very user friendly and the good thing is you get a accustomed to the system really face. Definitely a software I would recommend to any start up business and big business that is in the food and beverage industry.

Cons

I was not happy so see that the printer options limit you to use only Epson. Not being able to get an Epson, I use a Bixolon, which is provided in the drop down menu but no options what so ever. Having had said that I am not able to add my logo on the receipts since i can´t configure this within the Lavu software I have no option as to leave the receipt without logo!!

Lauren P.

Constant Interruptions

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

I enjoy the reports and the admin website.

Pros

The software is very easy to use and the reporting system is great.

Cons

We have constant interruptions including but not limited to: data parse errors with the credit card processing company, iPads going down, the admin website going down, drawers locking up and printers going offline, etc. The customer service is mediocre when you can actually reach someone. Don't bother calling in for help, they don't answer the phone.

Susan M.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

I used this software for a few years

Reviewed on 24/7/2020

The non-support from this company is ridiculous

Pros

I did NOT like anything about this software

Cons

This was slow, confusing, the updates were not well telegraphed, I always felt like a "test subject"

David B.

This is a great system.

Reviewed on 16/10/2015

New employees have no problem using it right away. Very intuitive. It makes other super expensive systems like micros and aloha dinosaurs. I had a couple of issues at the beginning but all were easily resolved. Technical support has been great too. I love the backend real time reports and how easy it was to set up and change menu items. My servers are also very happy with poslavu and they love taking orders on iphones. I don't understand any of the bad reviews, I believe the issues must be user error not the system itself. POSLavu is releasing updates all the time and I'm excited to see what else I'll be able to do in the future. I believe this is a great company who is dedicated to improving an already great pos system. I do recommend getting a Mac mini local server.

Dennis A.
  • Industry: Entertainment

We so regret the day we heard of Lavu

Reviewed on 14/8/2018

Lavu is a POS and we dont point of sale

Pros

There is nothing we like about Lavu There is nothing we like about Lavu There is nothing we like about Lavu There is nothing we like about Lavu There is nothing we like about Lavu

Cons

This is the worst decision we have ever made........we have had nothing but problems and customer support is sorry.........Our system has given us problems from day one and the only reason we are still with Lavu is because we paid a year in advance and the crooks wont give us our money back

Response from Hilary

Hi Dennis,

We are so sorry to hear about the issues you've been experiencing. Edgar from our Care team will be reaching out to you today to see if we can find a resolution. We very much appreciate your business and are committed to making things right.