Lavu POS

Cloud-based iPad POS system for the restaurant industry

3.2 /5 (89 reviews) Write a Review!

Taylor R.

Best Restaurant Software Yet

Reviewed on 4/11/2018

Pros

-Love the ease of using an iPad
-Size of the icons
-Different color option icons
- Different categories available
-Ease of table organization
-Ease of checkouts
-Very well laid out
-Easy clock-in

Cons

-Hard signing process, customers complained

Matt C.

Lavu POS Review

Reviewed on 28/12/2020

used to have excellent customer service, but our system went down two days before xmas and we were unable to run credit cards for half the day. second busiest day since july. Couldn't enter tips that day either.
and i tried calling them 3 times that night, plus an email. their chat hasn't worked in months.
4 days later I still have not heard from them

Pros

i don't remember why I chose them over the three other ones I tried a couple of years ago.
I think because I could use my own credit card processor.

But its easy enough to use for the features that i use which are basic operation of cash register
it is intuitive and takes little training

Cons

things go wrong, the printer drops offline a lot and needs help getting back. sometimes its the wifi that reconfigures to a different wifi, sometimes the printer just randomly stops working.

I can't use the staff scheduling because they insist that work week starts on sunday, yet that is halfway through the weekend. our schedule and pay period run monday- sunday
but I am now looking for a system that can organize cake orders for a week or a month after the order is taken, which most systems don't do.

Also they said that my gift cards would integrate, but they did not

Judy M.

The Best POS System

Reviewed on 6/9/2019

I absolutely love the point of sale system. Helps to be able to take orders from customers and send the order to the kitchen from the table. Then you can move on to the next table. It is so easy to learn and use. I like that you can go into the backside of the program and check your sales for the day, your amount of hours that you worked for the week and also what your own statistics are for tables waited on, amount of food you sold and what the prices of everything are. It is so Awesome!

Pros

Easy to use, easy to set up and it is self-explanatory. You can go into the backside of the program and checks your sales for the day, how many customers you yourself have waited on.

Cons

Not much about the software that I didn't like. Sometimes though I would have a hard time getting connected on my Ipad.

Jamie G.

Disappointing

Reviewed on 25/2/2020

After using this system and growing our brand new business after 8 months I can honestly say it is the worst system I have operating between 7 locations I am involved with.

It started off ok although challenging and difficult. But after getting though the kinks it was almost ok because their tech support team could help a lot. That was until they subbed out their tech support late Jan to India. Now it’s a disaster. Over 100 hours spent online fixing stuff, sitting on hold and zero supervisor call backs. Hundreds of dollars in gift cards sold only to have hundreds of them lost in sales that don’t work on the system and tech support knows less then I do. Over the past 6 weeks I Personally have over 50 hours logged online on hold and on the computer trying to make stuff work that is failing. Explain to me how another restaurants menu has made its way into my force modifiers optional, optional modifiers, and modifier groups that I never created. I am a craft beer and craft burger location. All of a sudden I have a Mexican menu inserted into my options causing my staff nothing about problems and disasters in the middle of dinner service. Their answer is I must’ve given my passWord out. This makes zero sense to me.

Stay far away from the system. They even remove the review section from their Facebook page

Pros

It was a fairly inexpensive system with full wireless operations options for a 15,000 sq ft location on a tight budget.

Cons

Customer service tech support after 6 months.

Response from Lavu

Jamie, we apologize for any trouble or inconvenience you may have experienced. Our records show our support team has been working with you to resolve your issues. Please feel free to contact our support team at 855-528-8457 and one of our team members would be glad to assist you with any other issues you are having.

Jennifer T.

Shutting Down During Peak Times

Reviewed on 1/6/2019

Pros

I like the simple interface, it is easy to use and simple to implement

Cons

99% of the time the software works well however we have had consistent problems with the system going offline in the middle of very busy nights. We will have a restaurant full of people 30+ tables with open orders and the system completely stops working (it always happens at peak times when we should be making the most money when we are the busiest, they have not invested enough to function at the scale they are selling for). Servers cannot send orders to the kitchen, we cannot run cards, servers loose track of what the final cost of the bill is for the customers and what their order is. The 1% of the time when Lavu goes offline has irreversible damage to our business. It creates chaos among staff members, it disrupts our reputation as a legit business and damages our relationship with our customers, and it causes us to loose money on tickets that do not get rang in right or when we have to jot down credit card numbers instead of running them to learn the card is no good once Lavu is back online. This has happened to us at least 8-9 times in the 1 year we have had LAVU. Not only is it unacceptable for this to ever happen but we do not get any compensation for our trouble or loss of income and the Lavu team will not return our calls or explain what is happening or reassure us that it wont happen again. There is no backup plan or support on help coming. Unfortunately I feel we are going to have to look for something else.

Response from Lavu

Thank you for your review, Jennifer. We hear what you're saying and we are working diligently to bring offline mode to our customers by late July. We know that the downtime is unacceptable and we appreciate your patience with us. The Lavu Team.

Dennis C.

Saves us time and money, works great for us!

Reviewed on 28/9/2015

I started using Lavu Point of Sale about 2 years ago. Before switching to the system we were using paper tickets, I didn't realize how inefficient this really was until I made the switch to an electronic system. Not only are we now spending less time managing each order, accuracy has gone up, and my shrinkage has gone down. The kitchen is only allowed to make items that are rung into the system and print out which has help cut down on theft or giving items away. The biggest time savings is getting the customers checked out. Previously during our lunch rush we would have a line of people waiting to pay and leave, now we are able to handle them as they come up to the counter since everything is already totaled up in the system.

Another big help has been the ability to use iPods to take orders at the table. We usually have a rush after church on Sundays, sometimes a line at the door. Before my servers had to go to the table, take the order, then take the ticket back to the kitchen. Now my servers go to the table, take the order, hit send and it prints in the kitchen. Then they can go straight to the next table. Anything we can do to speed up the time it takes to turn a table is a plus.

The amount of features that have been added in the last couple years has been amazing, it's nice to see that they are actively working on the software. The biggest thing for us has been the addition of 'always offline mode'. You just use the system and the orders go to the cloud in the background. When we first got setup we had some issues with the internet which interfered with using the system. They offered us a local server option but I did not want to install more hardware. While my internet situation was much improved by switching from DSL to cable I always worried that my connection going out could be a possibility. With the new version (3.0.3) the system keeps working even if my internet connection were to go out.

The Lavu POS software has worked great for us and I highly recommend it.

John A.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Reviewed on 21/8/2018

But wait there's more! How about the fact that the kitchen printer prints two checks, that no one can seem to fix. Not only does it waste an enormous amount of paper but it is confusing as the checks are not identical and it blows through a ribbon in 3 or four days!
Occasionally it will resend an order back yo the kitchen that has already been made, etc...
The is no individual item printer assignment either which means that you have to send an entire category instead of just one item to a screen or printer.

Pros

The iPhone app. Really nothing else, really.

Cons

WOW! Where do I begin? Should I start with how they outright lied to me to make the sale? How about sending a completely incompetent tech support personnel company to help me with my network? Maybe I should start with the fact that they billed me today for Quickbooks integration that I DON'T EVEN HAVE!
Let's start with the outright misrepresentation of their product. I specifically asked if they had online ordering and I was told yes we do. After I had purchased the system and went to set it up I asked "Well how do I set up the credit card integration for the online ordering?" Then I was told "Oh we have online ordering but we don't have online payment" WHAT!!? This is 2017 not 1999 what do you mean you don't have online payment? "We had a problem with it and had to take it off line, we should have it back up by Nov."
Well today is 08-21-2018 and guess what I still don't have? You got it - online payment.

Response from Lavu

Hi John,
We are very sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. I will have someone from our care team look into this and get back to you as soon as possible.

Russell H.

Online all inclusive restaurant POS

Reviewed on 15/6/2017

There is an open ended API for other application integration, but we are not savvy enough to do this ourselves. It would be great if there were more companies and different aspects of integration on the back end for more high end analytics and functionality. (IE: Quickbooks, Simple Order, Etc.).

Pros

Very versatile and easy to use. Easy to make modifications and adjustments within the system and customize to our specific operation.

Cons

Sometimes connection of iPads can be a little shotty as it goes for the order takers communicating with LAVU KDS, and it has been hard to get the problem fully resolved, but it only creates a mild irritant and not a full distraction from the overall business.

Armond N.

The worst cuatomer service

Reviewed on 7/1/2020

Very very bad.

Pros

Always someone answer it in india
They always take the notes of problem and promiss someo e will call you. Nobody ever calls

Cons

I had 3 different tickets of issues with lavu one was about chipreaders that they send it and themselve couldnot activate it. all i got was that someone will call me soon and after 2 months all i had was excuses and the person who was supposed to call never did. Now they are saying that i cant return the items because it passed the 3p days even though it was never ooend or used. The raise the price without letting me know or get my approval ( apparently they send an email whicb is proabably still in my spam folder ) and charge my auto pay 5 times more than what originally were supposed to do. After i complain the shut down the system and refuse to give me the information i needed to do payroll and tip calculation.
The worst pos company. Do not buy this junk

Response from Lavu

Armond, we are very sorry to hear about the issues you are having. We strive to have the best customer service and provide a great experience for all of our users. Please reach out to our support team at at 855-528-8457 and one of our team members will be glad to help you out with any issues that you are having.

Colleen D.

Alaska Businesses Beware

Reviewed on 16/6/2019

Feeling frustrated and unheard

Pros

I like the iPads to send tickets to the cook and track sales

Cons

After two years of using the POS system, they still have not corrected the payroll setting s for OT as per Alaska Law. It has been reported over and over again for 2 years, yet we continue to receive automated msgs that they are working to resolve the issue. If you own a business in Alaska, I can guarantee that you are paying too much in OT . If you are an Alaskan owner relying on a manager to trust your payroll settings you had better check this yourself.

Response from Lavu

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback and we're sorry to hear that you're experiencing frustration. Your review has been shared with our product team to make sure they are aware of the ongoing issue. We value you as a customer and will do our best to resolve the problem. The Lavu Team.

Rick S.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Don't buy this product if you want to use it on a Friday or Saturday night

Reviewed on 19/7/2019

They have a bandwidth issue that has been going on for six months. Every Friday night it crashes at least once. Anytime it gets busy they are guaranteed to have cloud issues. Nice product but it is more than useless at this time. It is a business killer!

Pros

Ease of use, I like the look and feel when it works. We have 15 iPad's or tablets.

Cons

It is constantly crashing during our busiest times.

Response from Lavu

Rick, thank you for the review, we appreciate it. We are aware of the performance issues and have been working diligently to strengthen our platform. Our latest release addresses these pain points and offline mode is coming out later this month. We are confident you will be happy with the changes we've made and look forward to earning back your trust.

Julie V.

Worst customer service

Reviewed on 26/10/2017

Do not even bother!

Pros

Easy to adjust and change things.
Ability to access tabs on cell phone.
Nothing else to say...

Cons

Raised their service fee twice in several years.
Lots of glitches over the years.
Sales team always available but always have to leave message for billing and customer support.

Tj A.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Worst customer service and up time

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

I deal with approx. 45 vendors for my business. Lavu is by far the worst one when it comes to customer service and issue resolution. I will never recommend this app.

Pros

Pros: Nothing worst writing about. Always been a problem

Cons

Cons: Customer support and the amount of time the system is down.

Steve B.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

DO NOT BUY

Reviewed on 13/9/2019

BESIDES MY COMMENT ABOVE, THEIR CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS WORTHLESS AS IS THEIR SALES PEOPLE AND EVEN UPPER MANAGEMENT.. THEY LIED TO US A NUMBER OF TIMES OVER 2-YEARS CLAIMING THE UPGRADE WAS COMING. WE BOUGHT LAVU ONLY BECAUSE OF THE INTEGRATION WITH A 3RD PARTY. WE ALREADY HAD A POS SYSTEM BUT NEEDED THE 3RD PARTY INTEGRATION FOR OUR RESTAURANT. THEY SHIPPED US ALL THE EQUIPMENT WHICH WAS NEVER OPENED BUT THEY WILL NOT TAKE IT BACK. EVEN THE 3RD PARTY VENDOR SAYS THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO DEAL WITH. NO ONE IN UPPER MANAGEMENT WILL CALL US. OUR ATTORNEY CAN'T GET ANY RETURN CALLS. THEY ARE WORTHLESS, DON'T TRUST A WORD THEY TELL YOU.

Pros

NOTHING. WAS SOLD BASED ON FEATURES TO COME BUT AFTER 2-YEARS, THE FEATURES WE WAITED ON STILL ISN'T PROGRAMED

Cons

CAN'T COMMENT BECAUSE WE NEVER INSTALLED IT. WE WAITED 2-YEARS FOR A 3RD PARTY INTEGRATION AND STILL HASN'T HAPPENED.

Grace M.

Best Customer Support I've Every Had

Reviewed on 28/1/2015

I am very happy with my Lavu system. I had some initial troubles, but the support team spent a good amount of time helping me identify the problem. My network was a mess. We didn't have something that was solid enough to run Lavu.

Now that the setup is done right, I have had little issues with Lavu. In fact, my floor is running more efficiently then it ever has.

I highly recommend this product. A couple tips:
1) Get a Lavu Specialist. I didn't have one at the beginning, and it cost me. If I had gone through a Specialist, and not a DIY, I wouldn't have had so many problems at the beginning.
2) Get to know their support staff. They are really nice, willing to help, and very (very, very) patient.

Susan Y.

Just getting installed so I don't have experience with ease of use or features.

Reviewed on 27/11/2017

Pros

Everyone with the install, sales and support have been great so far. We hit a snag with our internet speed and they moved the install and they built out our menu over a holiday weekend.

John C.

Overall Use of Lavu on and off line

Reviewed on 22/2/2015

Like mention in the previous review by another fellow user, the lavu has it right. But just falling short of being a complete perfect product.

Pros:
Easy to use, work well with modifying and custom to my needs for a typical chines restaurant.

Cons:
When making changes, struggles to load and changes are very slow to execute. One of the major features which made me take this was the "OFFLINE" possibility. I found out this was a lot of hot air! Could only use one device to send when off line and I paid for a gold package which supposed to worked for all 10 device! Even that with only one device was a real pain just to send an order and half of the time the orders doesn't reach the intended KDS! Glitches are a constance pain to deal with too!

Conclusion:
Having used this since April 2014, I have been solving problems more then I have benefited for the better as what has been promised. Sad as this is a very good system but just as mentioned before, falling really really short.

Shanica K.

I love this!

Reviewed on 11/10/2016

I like this system the only thing is the inventory input to determine how much we have left is a key factor we would love to see worked on or if is possible send me a video.

Pros

The touch screen.

• Industry: Hospitality
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH LAVU

Reviewed on 2/7/2018

Pros

Absolutely nothing. There is no positive to this POS system and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know.

Cons

After purchasing LAVU in April of 2018 , three months have gone by and the LAVU system is still inoperable. It's some of the worst customer service I've seen and that's if you can even get a response from someone. LAVU is a VERY poor choice if you're looking for a POS system and I do not recommend purchasing.

Response from Lavu

We are very sorry to hear about your experience with Lavu and encourage you to reach out again to our support team so we can try and escalate your case and find the answers you need. Please call us at 855-767-5288. Thank you- The Lavu Team

Tom S.

Terrible app

Reviewed on 5/12/2016

This ruined my business. Would not work if not connected to the internet, had lots of bugs and terrible customer service. 0/5!

Sean D.
  • Industry: Restaurants

As good as any "Industry Standard"

Reviewed on 22/2/2019

We used this in a tequila bar that I was a bar manager at. We were very high volume so we needed a good POS system that never crashed, and operated quickly to minimize waiting on the system to perform functions. I think in that regard this is a great system and I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros

Better price point
Very intuitive and easy to pick up user-interface
Speedy screen operations, no waiting for screens to load
If you have experience with other POS systems this one will be very easy to get started with
Great team behind it
Easy to add new items to menu (you dont have to be an expert to fulfil managerial roles on the system)

Cons

There is not much that I can say against LAVU. As far as Point of Sale Systems it is just as good as any of the big dog's systems but with an affordable price point. I never had an issue with the system in my year of using it.

Response from Lavu

Hi Sean,
Thank you for your review. We're so glad to hear Lavu is working well for you and your team! Don't hesitate to call us at 855-767-5288 if you have any questions.
The Lavu Team

Joe C.

Great system, could use a few more basic features that many other systems use.

Reviewed on 1/3/2018

Pros

Love the ease of use. The customer service has been really good as of late. Would for the most part recommend to any business.

Cons

Need some better basic features:
-Option for end of day report to reconcile as if the credit card tips were given out as cash to the servers, as this is the process for most restaurants.

-Better tip reporting capability for employees. It would be great for it to ask for total tips to be asked when employee is clocking out. There are many reasons for this including tip out, tip pool etc.

Response from Lavu

Hi Joe. Thank you so much for the feedback. We're glad to hear Lavu is meeting your needs and will strive to keep improving to make your experience even better.

Blaine S.
  • Industry: Hospitality

We are pulling our systems out of our restaurants

Reviewed on 27/7/2017

Nothing to come close to outweighing the cons

Pros

About the only thing that is positive about this system is that it is internet based and we can move freely about the restaurant to serve our guests.

Cons

Billing is constantly inaccurate and the system shuts down during service because of this.
If you're ok with the system going offline with no warning due to inaccurate automated billing issues and 3 hours on the phone with inept customer service reps while having zero access to input orders, print tickets to your kitchen, bills for the customers and not being able to process credit cards than this IS the system for you!
Our sales and install guy was a joke. Over promising on system answers he didn't even know but said yeah it does that. When it came to menu input it took him 2 weeks from start to finish and we had to just take over and redo everything ourselves.
Reporting functions that should be available that weren't we were told would be "coming soon" in the next version have not materialized.
Customer service is absolutely horrendous. If you like long hold times over an hour most times or a we will call you back message many hours most times then again this is the system for you!

Response from Lavu

Hello Blaine,

We are sorry to hear about your experience and hope we can solve these issues you've been having. Our customer care manager is looking into the issue now and will reach out to you. In the meantime, we recommend reaching out to our 24-hour customer care line 1.855.528.8457 with any immediate issues you may be having. We would be more than happy to address the problems with your system. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience you may have had and look forward to working through these issues.

-Kristin

Steven P.

Nice Job Lavu

Reviewed on 19/7/2016

I have a pretty big place, with a long wine and cocktail list, but this handled all of our menu, and getting running was fast with one of the distributors we found in our area. We switched from an older POS after our contract ran out, and this seemed like the new, efficient thing to try out. It was a quick install, and way less than what I paid before. I miss some of the inventory ordering and employee scheduling my old system had, but this makes up for it in other ways. My servers picked it up right away, almost no training needed

Kevin D.

Excellent POS System

Reviewed on 15/6/2016

Bought the system for my pub about three years ago and I'm glad I did. Lavu has helped my staff open/close tabs much quicker than before I bought the system. I'm making more money and I can say that part of the reason is due to Lavu. Excellent POS system.

Pros

Ease of use and the reliability. Hasn't crashed on me in the three years I've had it.

Cons

Lags every once in a while.