Lavu POS

Cloud-based iPad POS system for the restaurant industry

3.6/5
3.7/5
3.9/5
3.6/5

Taylor R.

Best Restaurant Software Yet

Reviewed on 4/11/2018

Pros

-Love the ease of using an iPad
-Size of the icons
-Different color option icons
- Different categories available
-Ease of table organization
-Ease of checkouts
-Very well laid out
-Easy clock-in

Cons

-Hard signing process, customers complained

Brian T.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Good product, hard to find anything that compares.

Reviewed on 9/5/2022

Pretty good experience overall. Over the years we've had communication issues. There have been some price increases and fees snuck in that I wasn't happy about. I can usually read between the lines and see when they are doing things to attempt to make.. and they haven't always been the most upfront about it. I usually call them out on it and at times have had to email the[SENSITIVE CONTENT] about issues that weren't getting resolved. I will say he's immediately gotten on the issues each and every time I've email and gotten me taken care of. Years ago there were some pretty bad issues with the service going offline and we were totally down. This has gotten 1000% better since they switched to AWS hosting. We did have another several hour outage recently, but that's the first and only one in years.

Pros

Pretty easy to use, stable for the most part. We've been using the software for 7+ years I believe. Over time we've integrated and started using more and more of their products such as KDS and card processing. Recently restructured their pricing and we now get the same service for less!

Cons

At times, certain things could be easier. I don't think the pizza building is perfect and could still use work. This goes for both Lavu and MenuDrive. We make it work and they've made lots of improvements over the years with help from our input.

Response from Lavu

Hi Brian! First off, I'd like to thank you for your continued business, and for your feedback! We really appreciate your comments, and we are continuously improving our product to fit the needs of each customer.

Matt C.

Lavu POS Review

Reviewed on 28/12/2020

used to have excellent customer service, but our system went down two days before xmas and we were unable to run credit cards for half the day. second busiest day since july. Couldn't enter tips that day either.
and i tried calling them 3 times that night, plus an email. their chat hasn't worked in months.
4 days later I still have not heard from them

Pros

i don't remember why I chose them over the three other ones I tried a couple of years ago.
I think because I could use my own credit card processor.

But its easy enough to use for the features that i use which are basic operation of cash register
it is intuitive and takes little training

Cons

things go wrong, the printer drops offline a lot and needs help getting back. sometimes its the wifi that reconfigures to a different wifi, sometimes the printer just randomly stops working.

I can't use the staff scheduling because they insist that work week starts on sunday, yet that is halfway through the weekend. our schedule and pay period run monday- sunday
but I am now looking for a system that can organize cake orders for a week or a month after the order is taken, which most systems don't do.

Also they said that my gift cards would integrate, but they did not

Philip V.

New User Review

Reviewed on 3/3/2022

Overall, we have great support. all specialists are knowledgeable and helpful to resolve any issues, questions or concerns that come up.

Pros

Ease of use is important to a beginner in the field.

Cons

Backend layout is a bit clunky, too many drop down and making groups and stuff is a bit of a pain. Also when saving sometimes it seems to not save.

Linga rOS System

Reasons for Switching to Lavu POS

Easier platform that Linga and pricing was better. also online ordering w/doordash integration with lavu was a must and they offered it but with much higher fees.

Response from Lavu

Hey Philip, thank you for your feedback! We're happy that you are satisfied with Lavu and our customer support team!

Patty P.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great on-line ordering system for Breakfast/Lunch restaurant

Reviewed on 15/6/2022

We are happy with Menudrive, the cost is acceptable and we like how our staff doesn't need to answer the phone to get the order. Our diner is loud and it's hard to hear the order, get the payment info, delivery address etc. Plus they often want to know their total price. Menudrive allows them to easily place their order & pay for their order - without taking up staff time. We wish all of our take out and delivery orders would be via Menudrive.

Pros

Menudrive is easy to program; took some time but our menu is large and we being a breakfast diner we had many options for customers ie: how do they want their eggs cooked, meat type, bread type, etc. Menudrive allows an unlimited amount of items & required info

Cons

when entering items it was redundant having to enter the time available (if it wasn't an all day availability). Lots of key strokes but once it's done, it's done.

Response from Lavu

Hi Patty, thank you for your feedback! We love to hear from our MenuDrive customers, and how the product can help out businesses like yours!

Guy B.
  • Used for 1+ year

Stay Away!

Reviewed on 23/10/2020

I purchased a complete system from LAVU on April 2019 with the intent to upgrade my existing POS from CAKE which served me well the first 4 years of running my restaurant, but being somewhat of a basic system I started feeling like it was holding me back. LAVU was running a 50% off on hardware so I called and spoke to a salesperson. Let me tell you, I wish I had recorded the conversations, as there was very little in common between what was verbally promised and what was actually delivered, VERY LITTLE! Typical sales tactics, they put extreme pressure on you to sign up (do it in the next 6 hours or the promotion expires), give you practically no time to read the fine print, and all of a sudden you find yourself in a 3 years contract with ridicules early termination penalties and a service provider that is incapable of delivering half of what was promised. They count on you not having the time or resources to take them to court. Last remaining hardware piece originally promised arrived 5 months later! Thank god I kept my CAKE system going or I would have gone out of business. Their customer service is of the lowest level you would ever see, especially from an IT company, they provide practically no solutions to issues or a very vague future fix, and their system keeps crashing leaving you with no ability to run your business mid-day and with no warning, time after time. They send you system-wide emails apologizing saying their system was hacked and therefore the interruption i

Pros

There are no Pros, this is an awful system and the worst customer service / sales team in the industry

Cons

Be very careful when they offer you interest free financing for the hardware, that's how they trick you into paying the software fee for 3 years in advance with NO way out

Toast POS

Reasons for Choosing Lavu POS

Was looking for a more robust system

CAKE POS

Reasons for Switching to Lavu POS

Their sales people promise the world and then some. You find out way too late they can't deliver.
Samson L.

Customer service

Reviewed on 14/5/2022

Overall it works well. There are small glitches but the latest update seems to have taken care of many of them. It works for our situation.

Pros

[SENSITIVE CONTENT] and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] are very helpful and knowledgeable in their fields. Great service and pleasant to speak with.

Cons

Menu drive online ordering needs to be more user friendly when updating items for pricing changes and adding pictures or descriptions.

Response from Lavu

Hi Samson - thank you so much for your feedback! We truly appreciate it, and your business. We are constantly working on making MenuDrive as user-friendly as possible for all customers.

John C.

Lavu

Reviewed on 23/4/2022

Tracking sales, payroll etc. very easy

Pros

I've had lavu for 15 years. It was great in the beginning easy to use, reasonably priced. Best of its kind.

Cons

Has become more complicated. Increased price. Ability to use multiple devices taken away. Crashes too often

Response from Lavu

Hi John, thank you for your feedback, and your loyalty of 15 years! We are constantly trying to make improvements so that we can be the best of our kind, and we appreciate your patience while we make those improvements.

Sam J.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Lavu review

Reviewed on 26/4/2022

very fun to see the company develop over the years. Almost all my experiences have been good with Lavu.

Pros

first POS that works on iPad. easy to use with nice graphical interface

Cons

no integrated electronic payment system in Canada

Response from Lavu

Hi Sam, thanks for your feedback! We love that you find Lavu easy to use. We're happy to have you as a customer!

Jacob M.
  • Industry: Hospitality

opinion

Reviewed on 22/3/2022

chashier

Pros

easy usage . quick login and reporting . New ways of visuall reports are not to my taste

Cons

ipad based pos of sales and easy usage that waht I needed

Response from Lavu

Hi Jacob, thank you for your feedback! We are always striving to make Lavu the perfect product for everyone - across all categories!

• Industry: Management Consulting

Former Lavu User

Reviewed on 17/7/2020

Overall, for the two years the system was satisfacotry. Until recenlty it was for the current management at the restaurant. The dealer is helpful - he is our first line of tech support before we go to KLAvu for support.

Pros

I liked using Lavu because it was the first POS for the restaurant where I worked. While I was employed there I used the system for 2 years. The set up was easy as the dealer came to the restaurant and set it up and did a one day training for the staff.

Cons

They system seems to have alot of glitches. Recently, the restaurant reported to me that they had a glitch and lost printers. Tech support finally helped and got the printers up but somehow lost half the menu. Also, I have witnessed personally that the sales tax is charging out properly.

Toast POS

Reasons for Choosing Lavu POS

We needed better reporting and labor tracking.

Reasons for Switching to Lavu POS

The fees and support were better by Lavu at the time.
Stephanie S.

Not really for Bars

Reviewed on 27/10/2020

We're a high volume craft beer bar. It can start tabs. It works for now. If the complaint list keeps growing, we'll have to switch. It works fine, but when it doesn't work, it totally halts service.

Pros

I guess it's easy to use, but it's kinda clunky. Programming is inconsistent across different devices. The speed is ok. It does what I need it to do, which the #1 reason I went with Lavu over Square was that you could start a bar tab with a preauthorization.

Cons

LAVU complaints

Should get Free set up support 1 month a year; if there is an update we should get free support
Quick serve shouldn't disappear
Can't Add a cc to an existing tab - currently deletes the new order
Needs Select and Repeat button
Needs Fewer approval buttons
Should Show change on screen
Should add auto grat to total tips
Can't Change auto grat, % or amount
On tip page, be able to enter tip or total, and show total.
Entered tips should disappear from screen - be able to filter list
On End of Day reports page, discounts and auto grat need to be included. Auto grats dont go to the business. Service charges do.
Auto grats need to show on payments page
Chip cards cant start tabs. Cant have 2 processors in lavu - chip card and swipe card types
Tip screen times out , and deletes entered tips

Gede S.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Dissapointed with costumer service and sales!

Reviewed on 15/8/2020

Thi POS is great, simple adn easy. Disappointed of how coustmer service followed up to solving problem. And also, we have a plan to open another 1 account because we open new bar, we tried reached up by email, phone, they just asnwer to follow up but nothing happen.

Pros

This POS was great, easy to use and you can syncronized to other cloud system inventory. Features and function are supply great actually for low-medium restaurant capacity.

Cons

The missed up of this POS are the total of revenue doesn't matching, has to be manual counted after cashier closing. Cloud uploading data is really slow now, bill that has been closed was reopened by themselves. All revenue i've got not accurate on back office sides. I have contacted their custumer support to get assist from them but they reply another 3 or 4 days after and didn't fixed what we complained about. As manager incharge to responsible of revenue and accuration product sold got frustrated.

Lightspeed Retail
Murtaza I.

Lavu POS

Reviewed on 1/10/2021

Pros

Lavu POS is a very easy-to-use iPad-based POS. I have been using it for more than 7 years and it has improved from time to time. The ease of setting up a menu online through the Lavu control panel in no time is a blessing you can set multiple modifiers and group modifiers for all the items. The customer order-taking process is very smooth & quick for the staff as they can add the food or beverages item send it to the Kitchen the items will be printed on the respective station. Lavu POS suits our restaurant environment as we have seating arrangements upstairs and downstairs everything works flawlessly with the old apple routers that we have been using.

Cons

They have been fixing most of the glitches from time to time. We started using Lavu Retro that was the most stable version of Lavu since that there have been so many changes current version is 5.0. It works slow during busy hours but not most of the time.

The item adds up to the receipt multiple times which makes the reconciliation difference in the end-of-day report. The printer stops working sometimes so we have to close the app and reopen it again.

Lok T.

Reviewed on 18/2/2022

It’s been like a love and hate relationship

Pros

It was nice and easy to get used to. The system was nice.

Cons

The WiFi would go offline sometimes for hours

Clover

Reasons for Choosing Lavu POS

My manager made the switch

Response from Lavu

Hi Lok, thank you for your feedback! We're sorry that your restaurant's wifi has been having issues - it's always a nuisance when that happens. Please reach out if there is anything we can help with.

Michael S.

Great inventory and POS software

Reviewed on 11/11/2019

Great inventory and POS software. Ease of use and easy to teach employees to use.

Pros

Ability to have multiple locations. Ability to make inventory items easily. Ability to use an iPad for inventory counts.

Cons

Have to manually bath credit cards at end of day.

Angel Q.

Excellent POS for beginners

Reviewed on 16/2/2022

Pros

Is an easy to use, easy to program POS system. We use it from the beginning of our opening. Easy to use for employees and low cost for owners.

Cons

Probably make improvement on the schedule part to be more robust.

Clover and Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to Lavu POS

Prices, and easy use and opportunity to grow

Response from Lavu

Hi Angel, thank you for your feedback! We are always trying to improve our POS system, and scheduling is on that list!

Agostino P.

My Pos Lavu

Reviewed on 10/2/2022

I’ve been using Pos Lavu for over 10 years, so I’d say it’s been great.

Pros

I love the ease of use and customization

Cons

Just common glitches that happen from time to time

Response from Lavu

Hi Agostino, thank you for being a loyal Lavu customer for over a decade! That's amazing to hear! We appreciate your business and do not hesitate to reach out with any issues.

Bernadette P.

LAVU support request

Reviewed on 23/2/2022

Fair learning curve

Pros

iPad capability, informative and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is deeply appreciated

Cons

One location at a time we have to input only one location at a time this is frustrating

Revel Systems

Ipad

Response from Lavu

Hi Bernadette! Thank you for your feedback, and for being a Lavu customer for so long!

Ahmad A.

Best software and easy.

Reviewed on 11/2/2022

Easy to use and the customer service are amazing.

Pros

Easy to use the pos while you are busy.

Cons

The customer service is one of the best customer service ever.

Response from Lavu

Hi Ahmad, thank you for reaching out and letting us know how happy you are with Lavu! We're always eager to help if you have any issues.

Monique B.

Hungry Eyes

Reviewed on 14/3/2022

Pros

Easy to set up and use. Love it! Would recommend

Cons

The inventory part it needs to be changed and or updated

Clover and Toast POS

Easier and customer service

Response from Lavu

Hi Monique, thank you for your feedback! We really appreciate hearing how much you like Lavu!

Judy M.

The Best POS System

Reviewed on 6/9/2019

I absolutely love the point of sale system. Helps to be able to take orders from customers and send the order to the kitchen from the table. Then you can move on to the next table. It is so easy to learn and use. I like that you can go into the backside of the program and check your sales for the day, your amount of hours that you worked for the week and also what your own statistics are for tables waited on, amount of food you sold and what the prices of everything are. It is so Awesome!

Pros

Easy to use, easy to set up and it is self-explanatory. You can go into the backside of the program and checks your sales for the day, how many customers you yourself have waited on.

Cons

Not much about the software that I didn't like. Sometimes though I would have a hard time getting connected on my Ipad.

Daniel B.

Underdeveloped and unsupported

Reviewed on 4/6/2021

I deployed LAVU POS at three of my restaurants several years ago. Initially the basic product was well supported and reasonably easy to use.

About the time of the pandemic everything changed. The US based customer support staff disappeared and was replaced by a call center in India, our monthly fees nearly doubled (in the middle of the pandemic!) and LAVU rolled out Menu Drive, an online ordering platform, which we subscribed to.

The biggest problem is that there is little to no integration between Menu Drive (which they purchased from a third party) and the LAVU POS. So any changes you make to pricing or item availability on your POS will not show up in Menu Drive. This was extremely frustrating. Menu Drive itself appears a very rough and amateurish clunky and visually unappealing effort.

In addition to the constant frustrations with MenuDrive, we began to have major problems with printers randomly going offline several times a day. My managers made endless calls to the LAVU customer support center in India, often waiting hours to get through. On the rare occasions that they were able to reach someone the solutions offered were basic and ineffective. Several times we had to close the restaurant because we were unable to keep LAVU operational for an entire day.

Between the lack of customer support, the inherently low level of design/functionality in both LAVU POS and Menu Drive, the relativly high monthly cost, I would say avoid at all costs!

Pros

Not much to like here. It is overpriced, underdeveloped, and largely unsupported.

Cons

1. The online platform (Menu Drive) and the POS are totally unintegrated. They were built by different companies and don't communicate.
2. Effectively (in our experience) there is no customer support. There is a call center in India but you may have to wait hours on hold and the limit of their technical expertise seems to be, "try turning it off and then on again."
3. Our salesperson quit responding to calls and email right after the sale was made and only resurfaced when there was yet another new LAVU product to try to sell to us.

Jamie G.

Disappointing

Reviewed on 25/2/2020

After using this system and growing our brand new business after 8 months I can honestly say it is the worst system I have operating between 7 locations I am involved with.

It started off ok although challenging and difficult. But after getting though the kinks it was almost ok because their tech support team could help a lot. That was until they subbed out their tech support late Jan to India. Now it’s a disaster. Over 100 hours spent online fixing stuff, sitting on hold and zero supervisor call backs. Hundreds of dollars in gift cards sold only to have hundreds of them lost in sales that don’t work on the system and tech support knows less then I do. Over the past 6 weeks I Personally have over 50 hours logged online on hold and on the computer trying to make stuff work that is failing. Explain to me how another restaurants menu has made its way into my force modifiers optional, optional modifiers, and modifier groups that I never created. I am a craft beer and craft burger location. All of a sudden I have a Mexican menu inserted into my options causing my staff nothing about problems and disasters in the middle of dinner service. Their answer is I must’ve given my passWord out. This makes zero sense to me.

Stay far away from the system. They even remove the review section from their Facebook page

Pros

It was a fairly inexpensive system with full wireless operations options for a 15,000 sq ft location on a tight budget.

Cons

Customer service tech support after 6 months.

Toast POS and NCR Aloha

Reasons for Switching to Lavu POS

It was 100 percent WiFi including printers.

Response from Lavu

Jamie, we apologize for any trouble or inconvenience you may have experienced. Our records show our support team has been working with you to resolve your issues. Please feel free to contact our support team at 855-528-8457 and one of our team members would be glad to assist you with any other issues you are having.

Dennis C.

Saves us time and money, works great for us!

Reviewed on 28/9/2015

I started using Lavu Point of Sale about 2 years ago. Before switching to the system we were using paper tickets, I didn't realize how inefficient this really was until I made the switch to an electronic system. Not only are we now spending less time managing each order, accuracy has gone up, and my shrinkage has gone down. The kitchen is only allowed to make items that are rung into the system and print out which has help cut down on theft or giving items away. The biggest time savings is getting the customers checked out. Previously during our lunch rush we would have a line of people waiting to pay and leave, now we are able to handle them as they come up to the counter since everything is already totaled up in the system.

Another big help has been the ability to use iPods to take orders at the table. We usually have a rush after church on Sundays, sometimes a line at the door. Before my servers had to go to the table, take the order, then take the ticket back to the kitchen. Now my servers go to the table, take the order, hit send and it prints in the kitchen. Then they can go straight to the next table. Anything we can do to speed up the time it takes to turn a table is a plus.

The amount of features that have been added in the last couple years has been amazing, it's nice to see that they are actively working on the software. The biggest thing for us has been the addition of 'always offline mode'. You just use the system and the orders go to the cloud in the background. When we first got setup we had some issues with the internet which interfered with using the system. They offered us a local server option but I did not want to install more hardware. While my internet situation was much improved by switching from DSL to cable I always worried that my connection going out could be a possibility. With the new version (3.0.3) the system keeps working even if my internet connection were to go out.

The Lavu POS software has worked great for us and I highly recommend it.