Toast POS

Cloud-based Point of Sale solution for restaurants

4.2 /5 (273 reviews) Write a Review!

Charles G.

An Affordable Alternative to Aloha and Micros

Reviewed on 2/8/2020

A perfect system for a small restaurant with a lot of very handy features. They are extremely flexible with pricing options.

Pros

TOAST is a solid point of sale system available for a very reasonable price. Adding, editing and removing menu items can be done quickly and remotely. Printer routing and other back of house set up is a breeze. Customer service staff is well trained and very reliable.

Cons

Not really designed for large scale/ high volume operations. KDS screens have some issues.

Dave S.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Toast is the only option for POS

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

My overall experience has been nothing short of amazing. I wish I switched to Toast long before I did.

Pros

Toast offers the simplest POS interface I've ever used, if you can work an iPhone or iPad, you'll be flying through this system with no issues.

Cons

I really don't have anything to say negatively about Toast, at first I was worried about the learning curve, but that was practically non existent.

Michelle T.

Why I chose Toast

Reviewed on 30/3/2017

With now being in business a full year now, I have and I still am learning pro and cons of doing business. I have worked in restaurants but I have never been on the manager/owner side and it's not as easy as you think it is. When running your own business for the most part you are on your own! I sat down with a computer tech to figure out the best POS system for my business. There are SO many out there and being unfamiliar with them a lot of research was done! I attended the Gordon Food Show a month before we opened and I got to see first hand how Toast worked. I was very impressed with the system and how easy it looked to operate (remember I've never been on this side of the business) and we had decided to work 100% with Gordon Food Service because of their support and looking at our best interest for starting our business. Now a year later, I could't imagine being with another POS system so no regrets here on choosing Toast for our POS!

Pros

Customer Support! - I rate them 100 on this!! Any questions I have big or small, they are just a phone call away! If my call isn't answered right away or I get busy, they have the feature to leave your number and they will call you back ASAP.
Customer Service - Being a tech and answering some of the crazy questions (I'm one who probably has the most) they are always patient, friendly and very professional when answering questions.

Cons

Credit Card Processing Fees - With other Processing companies out there some are cheaper but overall with Toast, they win. It's the hidden fees you have to watch. Toast fees appear to be higher but what you see is what you get where with the other guys you have to read the fine print.

Sky C.

Toast POS

Reviewed on 19/11/2020

Very good Despite the few technical difficulties that occur at times .

Pros

This POS system is much more advanced compared to others I have used prior. There are many options for inputting whichever items and functions are needed within your business. The overall appearance of this software is much nicer. I also enjoy how user access changes with position ranking, and verification can be implemented for certain features which helps to deter possible theft or misuse. The sales reports are also extremely thorough
. Overall, this is a great pos system for all occupancy levels.

Cons

There have a been a few issues with the connection dropping/printer not receiving orders despite our internet working fine. This has caused quite a few times of commotion due to our high volume occupancy levels which left our kitchen backed up for at least 30 minutes to an hour depending on how fast customer service could resolve the issue. Of course since it is an app it will be prone to crashes, but it is extremely inconvenient when it happens during a rush.

Lindsay M.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Not the best, not the worst

Reviewed on 6/12/2018

Overall my experience is indifferent. While I am occasionally irritated with this system other days it functions fine but overall it is still mediocre. I would recommend it to someone with a strong encouragement of researching the program to see if it is the best system for your business.

Pros

Toast POS system has a VERY short list of pros from my time using it in my restaurant. One of the only pros is the easy-to-read menu set up. While There are not many features or anything about the system that I found unique or helpful, there are not to many bad elements that stand out either. It is a simple and mediocre system.

Cons

The biggest con of this program to me is the ridiculous amount of time it takes the systems to download and log on, not just first thing in the morning but periodically throughout the day. There are also issues with set times and online orders being updated because all systems must sync variously throughout the day as well. The system is not user friendly or easy to use right away and takes more time getting use to than past systems I have used.

Response from Toast

Hi Lindsay- thank you for your feedback. We may be able to help troubleshoot the loading issue you are having. Please work with Toast Support by calling (617) 682-0225, or log on to Toast Central to chat with them live.

Alexander J.

Toast POS: The Modern Day POS System You Should Be Using

Reviewed on 11/4/2019

Overall Toast is the future of the POS game. As evidenced by its recent fundraises, Toast is anticipated to take over the market. It may take a bit of time for larger, older organizations to adopt the technology given the amount of time they have input into older systems, but it's only a matter of time before the switches happen.

Pros

Toast is a phenomenal POS system that blows the legacy players such as Aloha and Micros out of the water. Toast is very easy to set up, manipulate on the fly, and track relevant data. The handheld devices allow for a more streamlined ordering system, shaving precious seconds off the time to perform a transaction--something that is essential in a restaurant environment in which throughput is core to success. Toast is much more intuitive than other POS tools and the day to day users have found it to be excellent.

Cons

Toast does not allow for the same level of customization that legacy players do, so you can't change every aspect like you can on those tools. Further, the handheld devices rely on excellent Wifi connection, so you may struggle if there is a lag or an outage on the internet. Further, some changes take a little longer than you would hope to update on the handheld devices.

Response from Toast

Hi Alexander, Jasmine from Toast here. Thanks for the review! I'm happy to hear you have found the ToastGo to to increase efficiency of your servers - we know how important that is in the fast-paced restaurant industry.

Kelly V.

Toast Review

Reviewed on 30/8/2018

The back end entry saves HOURS out of my week, and my employees are much, much happier with the ease of functions they use everyday (splitting checks, transferring tabs). I also enjoy the community and keeping in touch with Toast. It's not like one of those systems where a salesman comes into your restaurant, sells it to you, and never answers your call. Toast is constantly finding new ways to be a partner to us.

Pros

I most liked upgrades. With our previous systems, you bought them and that was it. We suffered for years without functions we wished we had. With Toast, if they don't already have it, you can bet it will be in a future upgrade.

Cons

It's what I like least but I appreciate: It's a LOT to learn, and it's constantly evolving. You really have to stay on top of it to get the most out of the system, but paying attention and a little research goes a long way.

Response from Toast

Hi Kelly - We LOVE to hear that Toast is saving you hours every week. We are committed to being a partner in your business. We hope you'll utilize the monthly video newsletter and training materials to help stay up-to-date.

Joe G.

Highly Recommend!

Reviewed on 24/3/2017

We've had Toast for over a year and could not be happier. We never planned on switching from our old POS but after seeing a presentation of Toast we were blown away by the possibilities. Toast has increased our efficiency immensely which shows in our sales. We recently had over 10,000 people for our annual St. Patrick's Day Street Event. We've always been please at how easily it handles our volume, but wow, it ran smoothly and effortlessly all day long! We had 17 handhelds running and 5 terminals! We cannot say enough good things about Toast! We learn new things every day that increase our productivity!

Response from Toast Tab

Hi Joe!
Thank you so much for your glowing review! We're so happy that you're a part of our Toast family, and it has been SUCH a great pleasure working with you and your team.
We're also ecstatic to hear that your Toast experience was relatively flawless, especially on a high volume holiday! Thanks again for being an important member of our family, and we look forward to our continued partnership for many more years to come! Hope we get to see you guys in Florida soon!
Best Regards,
Cassy & the Toast team

Jeff J.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Toast and the Cloud Makes Sense

Reviewed on 26/3/2017

For over a year our organization searched for the right POS solution for us that would solve issues that our current provider could not. We had 65 locations in our brand and it seemed like they were 65 islands when it came to our POS system. There were many versions of our data base, and we were hampered by issues such as the end of life for our operating system.

Toast was one of many POS providers we evaluated, including all of the top names in the industry. Some of the most important considerations that influenced our decision included the system being cloud-based, easy to use, and easy to integrate with other technology. We installed the Toast POS solution for the first time in July of 2015, and have been converting locations since then. We currently have over 60 locations using Toast, and anticipate the rest of the locations to convert this year.

Pros

Easy to use, reliable, good value.

Cons

There are still a few features that have not matured yet. A more robust ideal food cost tool that could integrate with more food vendors would be very valuable.

Chris S.

Disappointing

Reviewed on 25/6/2020

Below average. They've kept the software running at all times and that's a huge plus. However, they are charging top dollar and we were expecting a fantastic product. The product is only OK. The service has been spotty; at times good, at times not.

Pros

The POS portion is solid. It's generally easy to use. It's been up about 99.9% of the time which is not true of all software. The people we have dealt with there have been nice and responsive.

Cons

The back end of the software is poorly designed and written. The inventory module is laughably bad; looks like it was designed and written by a college kid in a couple hours. The reporting is also not well thought out. More than once we've found the only option for a pretty standard report is to download data into Excel and manipulate it ourselves. There is no accounting application and no interface with Quickbooks. Generally it looks like a solid group designed the POS and then those people left or started working on other things.

The service during the Covid 19 pandemic has been awful. It's nearly impossible to reach support and honestly makes me wonder if these guys are solvent. We had two management contacts that we would call in cases where we had support issues. Now both of those people have been (apparently) laid off. When we called support the last time, the recording warned that there were 33 people ahead of us in line. I've waited for an hour and eventually given up when there were only 12 ahead of me.

Leah J.

Can't Recommend Enough

Reviewed on 19/5/2020

Love the system, great customer support, love the analytics.

Pros

I can access it anywhere with my Android based phone. Check sales or help solve an issue. Editing buttons takes seconds and over all had a very easy layout. Online ordering is synced with the tablets so when I 86 an item it is out everywhere. I like that I can email or text receipts and do e-cards quickly at the terminal. There is now a new feature that if a server needs assistance immediately they can send a text to the manager on shift and it tells the manager what terminal to go to.

Cons

Learning the cash register system was very confusing.

Sarah A.

Toast fits like a expertly tailored suit!

Reviewed on 3/3/2017

Toast can be whatever you want out of a POS system- you can customize all settings to fit your needs or if you want something you don't have to be too involved in and you want to keep it simple, Toast can do that too. They are always introducing new features and ways to make your life easier- and if you think of something they haven't added yet, you can request it and it will be added if other users and restaurants like the idea too. Hardware and software are integrated well and easy to use, and if there's ever a problem then 24/7 support (not robots, real Toast employees!) is only a phone call or email away.

Pros

user- friendly, simple, customizable, intuitive, fast.

Cons

Android's operating system took some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it then it's a cakewalk.

Paul T.

Confusion of support

Reviewed on 3/4/2017

The support is lacking. You always get a tech to speak tech and when they look at your system they find other problems to fix and never help fix the one you need help with. You pay a monthly fee but they charge you for the support anyhow. The Sales staff can not work the system so don't bother asking them for minor help.

Pros

Back office is easy to use.

Cons

The cash management is so confusing we can never get it correct. They think they are making it better but they don't and the training is very lacking in that area.

Jack L.

Toast is The Most!

Reviewed on 18/7/2016

I moved our restaurant from Aldelo to Toast, and I've found it to be a Very Good Decision. Streets ahead of the competition.

Pros

Competitive processing rate, excellent customization, great integrated online ordering, cloud-based reporting so I can take care of all kinds of tasks from anywhere I have internet, and the list goes on.

Cons

I wish the monthly fee were a bit less.

Response from Toast Tab

Thanks so much for the great review, Jack! We really appreciate all the referrals you've sent our way.

Bonnie K.
  • Industry: Restaurants

TOAST is one of the best POS out there.

Reviewed on 2/6/2019

Generally​ satisfied. A lot of the current POS software is incredibly terrible, or very limited for larger restaurants.

Pros

I appreciated that TOAST is beating out RDS/Aloha. Using Aloha was a nightmare!!! Toast has the ability to integrate with other party software like Ubereats and Opensimisim scheduling​ on the platform.

Cons

I wish they had a system to warn employees of their breaktimes. For instance, when they clock in, employees should be alerted that they need to take a break if they are passing a certain hour. Or if the scheduling app is integrated inside the POS, then it knows that this employee should "theoretically​​ should be taking X amount of breaks. I also wish they had more friendly icons instead of words on the POS platform to make it easier for visual folks to access.

Response from Toast

Hi Bonnie, Jasmine from Toast here. We love that you are taking advantage of our Partner Ecosystem. Those are also some great suggestions. Thanks for the review!

Jamey H.

Toast POS Review

Reviewed on 13/9/2016

Fantastic customer service. Easy to learn if you have prior computer and POS experience. Reliable and efficient

Pros

Ease of back end work making menus...reporting etc .

Cons

Not many cons that I can think of...have to reset register tablet fairly often due to unresponsive touch screen.

William J.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Toast will change your business for the better! Save your business money with toast! New toast...

Reviewed on 6/3/2017

Pros

We love our Toast POS system! We have been with Toast for a couple of months now and it is one of the best business decisions we have ever made! We used to have to pay 2 separate companies for POS and one for online ordering.. with Toast it's ALL IN ONE (and cheaper than both of the old companies). Toast also offers very thorough accounting and inventory software that makes it easy for us to see where o. ur money is coming and going! The software is very user-friendly. We are happy we joined and can't wait to see what this growing company has in store for the future!

Cons

Would like the option to have both digital and print receipts available after every transaction, I'm sure they will find a way.

Tess H.

Love My Toast POS

Reviewed on 14/4/2017

I love my Toast POS because it's easy to navigate and I like it that I get the reports I needed in a flash. I have a very busy schedule that I must admit I don't know that "ins" and "outs" of the POS system but I few click here and there I'm able to get the information I needed when I needed them. I'll probably be more happy if I'm able to find time to just explore what else are there to find that this system can do for me. I usually enroll in the webinars offered to members but at times, I even don't get to finish the webinar because I have to attend to calls, customers, and vendors when they are in my place of work. But I try anyways. Thanks for a great system.

Pros

It's all in one.

Cons

When something goes wrong with the system and I lose connection (which practically happens in every software, I guess).

Courtney B.

Toast is great!

Reviewed on 25/7/2020

Overall 9/10

Pros

I really like using toast. The timing features for happy hour pricing, the ease of use for customers and staff, inventory use, ease of changing items on the fly during service. Such a great product for fast casual use. Features we haven’t used yet, but would love to - to go orders, delivery, etc. Really great use of technology for touchless ordering during this pandemic. Highly recommend!

Cons

Reporting could be better. No way to export reports.

Ken S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

what ever happened to needed customer support

Reviewed on 26/6/2020

Once covid hit and they let go most of their staff wait time for support is anywhere from 30.min to 90 not acceptable and the people working there are now very very subpar.
At this pace I don't see toast like most in this space surviving

Pros

user friendly that has every bell and whistle that one would need

Cons

software itself is good but again the customer support is AWEFUL

Tiara H.

Easy Portability

Reviewed on 21/1/2020

It frees up bottleneck at traditional computer terminals

Pros

Toast is an easy to use platform that allows you to streamline POS transactions through the use of handheld POS. The handheld POS can perform cashier functions, ordering, statistical tracking (total sales, tips, % of sales by category, etc.), and its' portability offers freedom on the go. Being a Server, I am able to take orders tableside and perform payment functions from almost anywhere.

Cons

It's cloud based so make sure you have a strong internet provider. Spotty internet connection can stall the entire system.

Response from Toast

Hi Tiara, Mora from Toast here. We're happy to hear that ToastGo has streamlined your responsibilities as a server. Toast's "Offline Mode" does allow you to continue placing orders, printing tickets and receipts, and taking credit card payments until the internet connection is reestablished and you are back online. Please refer to this Knowledge Base article for Offline Mode FAQs: https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Offline-Mode-Overview-1492794307880

Adam T.

Dynamic Product That Keeps Getting Better

Reviewed on 7/2/2019

Toast is a great online POS Solution. The online ordering, gift cards and rewards has made an impact on our business. They also back up their product with solid customer support.

Pros

The software is very easy to train employees on and use. It is constantly being updated to include more robust functions.

Cons

The only con is occasionally it updates too fast before you get a chance to truly learn how to use the current functions.

Kathy E.

Customer Support Inadequate and Multiple Charges on customer accounts

Reviewed on 3/2/2021

Overall experience is very dissatisfactory with Toast POS. We have yet to switch software but may need to in the future since it's inadequacy is costing our business to lose customers.

Pros

Bar staff likes software. Simplicity and integration low rate.

Cons

Integration with accounting was time consuming with little assistance from Toast when setting up. Outsourced Toast customer service has EXTREMELY limited knowledge of ALL issues with Toast. Toast reps and customer service do not return calls. Credit card charges duplicate weekly on multiple customers accounts for no reason. Our staff has continued to process tabs the same way for two years but for about the past four months, Toast transactions duplicate on customer's personal financial accounts. Even VOIDED payments that should never even show up on a customer's account will show pending for over a week. Toast continues to close cases without a resolution.

Anil P.

Terrible Solution!!!!!! Concern that sales approaches are dishonest.

Reviewed on 26/2/2019

Pros

The general features were there, such as setting up a menu and taking payments. But all of the POS systems that I looked at offer these capabilities.

Cons

I believe that the customer support is dismal and ruins the whole experience. The POS terminal was flimsy and keeps sliding and tipping over. When I asked for the rubber footing that appear to be missing, the customer support repeatedly told me that they did not provide rubber footing and that I needed to by my own. My counters are not scratched and ruined. Most of my interactions with Toast for support has been similarly unhelpful from my perspective.

There have been cases where the Toast Sales Representative communicated to me that features existed when they did not without additional fees that they neglected to tell me about. I believe that this is dishonest. In contrast, I would much rather have purchased a POS system that has less features with honest sales representation.

Response from Jasmine

Hi, Anil - Jasmine from Toast here. I'm sorry to hear about the miscommunication you have had with your sales representative. At Toast, we strive to be as transparent as possible. Please continue working with our support team to find a solution that works for you.

Addam O.
  • Industry: Restaurants

So far, so great! We where hesitant to move from XXXX POS to Toast and now we are so glad we...

Reviewed on 16/2/2018

Dependability and ease of use. I'm still amazed at how advanced Toast is compared to our older legacy system.

Pros

The dependability and ease of use. The cost isn't bad either!
Toast is light years ahead of the old legacy system we had prior. I'm not sure how we made it this far without it.

Cons

Support. I've have to call back several times when I need an issue fixed. This has happened on several occasions.
The agents are polite but always assume the issue is with a setting, even when it's clear that the problem is a bug.