7,694 reviews

Adobe Illustrator

Industry-standard vector graphics editor

4.8 /5 (7694 reviews) Write a Review!

7,694 reviews
Lauren H.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Illustrating Beyond Boundaries

Reviewed on 6/4/2020

I have faith in Illustrator and learned how it behaves. I know it will continue to update, as other Adobe applications do. Best to keep that belief in it and push on with resilience.

Pros

As a professional artist and business creative, Adobe Illustrator has been an application well used in my toolbelt of visual software. From vector creations to typographic layouts, Illustrator never ceases to amaze me in terms of innovation. The thing I like most about it is the guidance it provides for artists and designers really shines through. Specifically, Illustrator analyzes and

Cons

I've learned that each software has a strength of its own. And it's best to understand how it works so you can maneuver through it without a lot of issues. That's why Illustrator really works for me. The only setback would be the brush types. I do wish the variance in stroke would expand more in terms of the lines it creates. I've noticed that the strokes would have lines within them, but would just be copied versions. However, I believe this is a minor issue and not much to dwell on!

Zandrich M.

Adobe Illustrator: A Proven Formula

Reviewed on 16/2/2021

Illustrator was my first foray into the world of computer-aided design and digital art; my first license was provided as part of my Multimedia Design studies just shy of a decade ago - and I've not once considered looking back.

Initially, I found the interface somewhat intimidating - the workspace was dotted with a plethora of icons representing tools I never knew existed - but once I started exploring, the tools, keyboard shortcuts and my workflow melded into an experience like none other.

To express my experience of it somewhat allegorically - Illustrator and I operate as one. With my muscle memory refined, and my understanding of the available tools expanded, ideas, both technical and abstract in nature, could flow onto my screen without restriction.

I personally recommend Adobe Illustrator to my contemporaries within the industry, and often professionals working in other fields altogether.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is very, very expansive; Adobe managed to marry the tried-and-trusted tools and processes of the more well-known Photoshop, with the logic and functionality of mundane CAD suites - elegantly. Adobe Illustrator has, for that reason, been a mainstay within my design workflow, and beyond, for almost a decade.

One of its strongest features (often overlooked), is the ability to utilize multiple 'artboards' (pages) in a single workspace (unlike the single composition format of Photoshop); this allows a user to sketch plans, create artwork, take notes, and compile documents all in one place - a must for projects where one needs to compile related documents in parallel with a creative workflow.

Adobe Illustrator, and the Adobe Creative Suite as a whole, remains the standard within all creative and marketing practices around the world for one simple reason - they are based on a proven formula, one that has both reinvented the wheel and built on prior successes.

Cons

Although Adobe Illustrator has come very far since I was first introduced to the CS5 release, it cannot be picked up by someone to be mastered in one work day - this in itself is not a weakness - Adobe Illustrator is, and always has been, software intended to enhance the abilities of someone familiar with computer-aided design suites.

Margaret D.

Illustrator, will illustrate your point

Reviewed on 17/2/2021

I really like illustrator because it allows me so much flexibility in saving my files with many well known and used formats industry wide. I like their templates for digital media. Over all I really like their product. Although I feel it is a bit on the pricey side I think there is still value for my money.

Pros

I like that whatever is in my imagination can be transferred to the format I require. Among other tasks I am the Brand Administrator for our company. I have to make sure that wherever we market our brand looks great. Our brand shows up in many places and on many platforms digital and paper. Illustrator makes is possible to integrate anywhere I need to be.

Cons

Every time there is a new release of software there are some major changes in where things are. Where my regularly used tools are often change or seem to disappear. They have started video tutorials to help me catch up but it seems I am constantly having to re learn techniques I already learned once.

Antonio M.

The best vector software

Reviewed on 22/1/2021

I used it to create small graphics that I then used on the websites we were making. We also used it to create icons for all the various publications we were publishing. It was a very straightforward and easy process. Adobe Illustrator is chock full of options and is pretty much the go-to software for vector illustration.

Pros

Everything about it worked like a charm. The entire Adobe package is great and is constantly being updated.

Cons

There is no affordable option to use this software. While competitors like Affinity Designer offer a much lower price, Adobe keeps their price up so high it is barely affordable. They also offer a monthly subscription which is not much better.

Kaustab D.

The Best Vector Editing Software that Exists

Reviewed on 21/12/2020

Intuitive, feature rich and easy to learn.

Pros

I am comparatively new to Illustrator. I am still learning the ropes and have a long way to go. But so far, Illustrator has been genuinely intuitive, simple to learn, easy to operate. It enables me to create unique illustrations giving me the edge to when it comes to creating social media graphics and blog content.

Cons

The Adobe suit is a bit expensive. Other than that, nothing more to complain.

Faisal faruque R.

The Best Tool For Every Graphical Needs

Reviewed on 31/10/2020

Everyone recommends Illustrator. I also started using this because one of my friends recommended this. I knew that this is professional-grade software. However, I was a bit scared about the usability. It's because I am just a content creator and marketer. Not a professional graphic designer.

I need a tool that will help me create graphics quickly and with ease. Illustrator is just like that. This I the go-to tool for every kind of digital creation. No matter whether I want a professional design for email marketing or just a simple design for my Facebook updates, it always gets me covered. This is the power of Illustrator.

I need to manage a lot of online presence. Since I am a freelancer and kind of a one-man army, I have to work on the go. I can run this tool on both my Windows tablet and Mac workstation. This is a huge benefit. I know some of you are scared about it. Believe me, it's not that tough. If you sincerely follow some tutorials you will be able to make basic designs without any problem.

Pros

There are a lot of features in this amazing piece of software. However, I don't have to use all of them. I just use basic features like editing a free to use vector file from the internet. Sometimes, I design covers and banners for my online businesses. Illustrator handles these very well. I liked Adobe's consistent design language in all of its software including Illustrator. One I learned illustrator and now all other Adobe software seems easy to me. Because I got familiar with their user interface. I like the power of its vector design feature. It helps me to design a graphic that doesn't rely on pixels and can be scaled to any size. This is the coolest feature of Adobe Illustrator. Custom fonts and different types of brushes are also great for creating modern and complex designs.

Cons

I don't hate anything about this software. However, the software is a bit heavy. I don't need all the features of Illustrator. This is why I need a lightweight PC version of it with the basic features. If the developer makes something like this it will be amazing. Another thing is the crashing problem. Sometimes it crashes on my old low powered laptop and this is frustrating.

• Industry: Human Resources
  • Used Other for 2+ years

“It creates your imaginations visually on media”

Reviewed on 16/7/2019

when you look at the price, instantly you will exclaim ‘oh my gosh’. As I explained previously, there are nearly 100 million images available in adobe stock, over 12000 fonts in adobe fonts, plus all the other features to run wild with creative ideas. Who else offers so much? Therefore my opinion is a designer can always make designs that can claim a value if you are using the license of Illustrator. At the same time, with illustrator you need just a fraction of the time in doing your designs compared to some others which will keep you way behind. Illustrator is definitely for professional designers and as a professional designer, will need to use compatible hardware to get the best use of AI .

Pros

Ai is ideal for professional Vector graphic designers. After many years of studies with the inputs of designers around the globe, Adobe has developed Ai to create almost anything that comes into billions of creative (or weird) minds. Just about anything. Once you pass the learning curve which would take months and months with all that learning material available (which is quite reasonable), then you can make your dreams visible to you and others too. But still you will learn, as there are so many developments and updates take place continuously.
The Free form gradient, which is also a new addition, allows you to drop points of color which blends together to form rich color blends.

Adobe font integration lets you select thousands of fonts and use the most suitable fonts that goes with the project. You just dream what you need and you get it in Illustrator creative cloud.
With its three ‘snap to pixel’ options, it automatically aligns to the pixel grid the drawing, scaling and moving path and vector shapes.
With their massive stock of creative resources in graphics, templates, images etc which are close to 100 million in numbers and are organized in Adobe Stock, designers can access and easily design templates for various jobs saving time for additional work. The ‘True size view’ and ‘Trim size view’ features are added benefits for the User. Features of Illustrator are endless if you look at an artist’s point of view. It can put into reality all the dreams of a creative mind

Cons

I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment to call a wiper ‘a wiper’. The bad side of AI is it can just wipe off all other competitors in just one Illustrator stroke.

Rodrigo T.

Many tools in one

Reviewed on 2/4/2020

In general I find this application very practical in the sense of the quality of the result and the ease in grouping and ungrouping elements, creating hierarchies and joining effects. It makes it very easy to grab assets from stores, disassemble, combine and create others. As I create Apps and Games, I see an enormous facility to work this in memory quickly, even in large projects. I miss the application allowing to return to a certain part of the effects set, change a parameter and repeat the whole stack. Example: you add a rectangle, move 30 degrees and change to red. You cannot go back to the first action, change from 30 to 15 degrees and repeat the rest. I don't know if any tools have this, but coming from programming tools with batch scripts, I feel that this would be very valuable.

Pros

The possibility of having several drawing sheets in one file is great, this makes it easier to keep related collections in a single project file. I also like the many options for importing and exporting formats, with asset profiles.

Cons

There are some things that I find confusing, as they mix what's on the project/file level and what's on the application level. For example, there are settings in the export profile that are saved within your ".ai" project, but there are others, such as the folder where "export to screens", which are at the application level. So you sometimes export to the wrong place, and you always have to know where you are exporting to, this confuses you when building game assets, for example, where there are sometimes hundreds of files in the same general project (several ".ai" ).

Jonathan L.

The Pro Graphic Designer's Toolkit

Reviewed on 29/3/2020

I use Illustrator for everything from creating logos and UI graphics to simple online posts for small businesses. The vector format is fantastic for being easily resizable without losing quality or the fine nuance of the artwork. While a bit difficult to learn, the toolset allows you do create anything you can imagine if you take the time to learn. Now, there's a growing army of competition, but in my experience, Illustrator is still the gold standard in the industry.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is pro software with a tremendous set of tools for vector graphics creation. Personally, I've been using Illustrator since I first started studying graphic design almost a decade ago. Each new version brings us a useful set of performance and tool improvements, but my favorite in the most recent version is the freeform gradient tool. I've always wanted for a way to place gradient points wherever I wanted, and now that's possible. I use it every day and it's speedy, highly customizable (as you'd expect from pro software), and so useful! It seems like such a simple thing, I'm surprised the feature wasn't available before.

Cons

Like all pro software, there's a learning curve, and Illustrator is no exception. On one hand, I understand that it will take time to learn and implement new features. On the other, I wish it was easier to learn and keep up with the changing tide of graphic design.

Christian edison B.
  • Industry: Computer Hardware
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Adobe Illustrator Review

Reviewed on 26/12/2019

Adobe Illustrators is an innovative vector-based program developed for graphic design professionals. This software used algorithms to draw shapes rather than using bitmap images to store data. That's why Illustrator's vector graphics can be scaled to any size without losing their overall quality or resolution.

Adobe Illustrator makes everything from company logos to informative drawings to animated designs because of this unique design. It can print illustrations, produce beautiful graphics on the website and give users full control over their typography.

So, I recommend this software and it is worth it.

Pros

1.) It provides an interface which will help the user:
You have an extra degree of flexibility when working to design the entire workspace with Adobe Illustrator. Your interface makes personalized viewing possible. There is also an option to save space. Such processes allow you to work on your project in any way that is most convenient, while maintaining full control over all the options available.

2.) The Adobe Illustrator is compatible on almost any computer system:
While Adobe Illustrator is not working well on mobile devices, on almost any computer system, it does an exceptional job. It can be used on Windows PCs or on items from Apple. Even from the early 2000s, if you use an older top-of - the-line option, it will work properly on older computers.

3.) It produces web and print graphics:
Thanks to Adobe Illustrator, you can easily create print-ready graphics. With this tool, you can also create web graphics. It works in any screen resolution, offering a constantly updated tool set that allows you to relatively easily build professional vector graphics.

Cons

The only disadvantage is that you need to require lots of patience. If you're planning to design something that's interesting, imaginative, and you don't need a practical dimension, then Adobe Illustrator can help you put together something in no time. If you want to build something that makes people feel positive, then you need to give yourself plenty of time to work on the project.

Suzanne S.

Industry Standard For Good Reason

Reviewed on 13/6/2019

I consider Illustrator to be an essential program for anyone who works in vector graphics.

Pros

Overall, this is a wonderful program that has well earned its reputation as industry standard. When working with a lot of precise calculations, perspectives, exact distances, and/or alignments, Illustrator does most of the heavy lifting so I can focus on just creating great art. Working with vectors is a great way to create very polished and clean designs that are infinity scalable.

Small file sizes are also especially handy because it makes it easy to make backup-copies of your layers at different stages in case you ever need access to an earlier version. Even if I've worked with huge dimensions or had hundreds of objects in a single file, I've generally only experienced serious lag if I incorporate non-vector elements to my file, such as placed photographs or special effects like drop shadows.

Illustrator is extremely handy to use in conjunction with other Adobe products. I've especially frequently created a vector in Illustrator then copied it over to Photoshop or InDesign. When pasting things into Photoshop, I can create a Smart Object so that I can still edit it in Illustrator and it will then automatically update in Photoshop.

Cons

Some of the keyboard shortcuts, such as select/deselect all, are different between different Adobe products like Illustrator and Photoshop. While this can be customized by users, that isn't always possible in situations like one of my old jobs where I shared a computer with another designer and we constantly went back and forth between Illustrator and Photoshop. Improving consistency between Adobe products would allow for smoother workflow.

The perspective tools can also be rather clunky to use sometimes. One of the most frustrating aspects has been if I need to use any shape-building tools on an object already in perspective - after I've used the shape building tools, I can no longer use the perspective move tool because Illustrator tries to reapply the perspective onto an object already in perspective. Another example is that the 3D tools don't automatically have options in the drop-down menu to work with the perspective grid in place. If you, for instance, want to extrude an object and place it into alignment with your perspective grid, you have to either do the math yourself to create a custom extrude, or you have to manually rotate and extrude the object without the use of the 3D tool.

On occasion, I have also had issues with art dimension size limitations and had to copy to Photoshop to enlarge to the size I needed to print.

I also dislike that this program is currently only available through subscription.

Darla B.

Not too difficult for a non-designer to figure out

Reviewed on 1/8/2018

Pros

I was thrown into using this software when I started at my current company four years ago. I had only ever used PhotoShop, and then only on very basic terms. For someone who is not a designer, Illustrator was daunting at first, but it is actually a fun program to work in, and I have enjoyed learning more about it as I've worked in it as a Content Strategist.

Our designers use it to create a broad spectrum of marketing pieces from logos to single-page print pieces to full website designs, and they are all stunning. The ability to combine design and content is perfect for marketing creatives as it allows us to collaborate on our work without having to work in separate software and then combine elements at the end.

The learning curve with Illustrator is easily overcome by Adobe's plethora of online tutorialsvideo and printas well as the wealth of knowledge from other creatives willing to help you learn your way around the program. Trial and error is also a great way to learn the program. Click around and see what happens because you never know what great effect you might figure out!

Cons

There is definitely a learning curve with this program, as there is with any program similar to this. If you want to create an effect or illustrate something, you'll need to look up some tutorials if you've not worked in Illustrator before. Luckily, Adobe is great with these kinds of tutorials. And if you're still struggling, ask the internet because someone out there probably knows and can help.

It also won't do everything you're looking to do. For instance, it just isn't PhotoShop. If you need to edit a photo before you place it, you're still going to want to do that in a program like PS because that is what that software is for. Illustrator just isn't for that. Adobe has compartmentalized its programs a bit, and this one is no exception.

• Industry: Computer Games

Illustrator is the king of vector graphics

Reviewed on 16/7/2018

Illustrator has a tough learning curve, but once scaled, it unlocks a whole new world of layout and design methods that cannot be matched with other software packages.

Pros

For years, Illustrator has been the ugly brother to Photoshop, (And it still largely is) - designers everywhere would get frustrated with Illustrators 'alternative' work flow when doing the simplest of tasks that would take seconds in Photoshop. - but in the last few years, Adobe have worked hard to make the unique abilities of Illustrator come to the fore.

It's not the ubiquitous image editing powerhouse that is Photoshop, and it's not trying to be. What Illustrator has become is the designers best friend. It has a layer of accuracy that isn't in Photoshop, you can design logos, layouts, text, fonts, anything using Illustrators methods and produce things that can be rendered at any resolution because of it's mathematical vector output.

As software developers, the world is becoming more and more resolution agnostic, every bit of software we make must work on multiple different display resolutions. From tiny mobile phones to gigantic televisions.

If we were to create our user interfaces using photoshops rasterised bitmap output, we would be forever making different resolution sized files. But with illustrator, (when you know what you're doing) - you simply need one file and the use of it's amazing exporting abilities.

Cons

The learning curve (pun intended) of Illustrator is steep. Much more steep if you've come from Adobes other amazing image manipulation software Adobe Photoshop.

For years, the layout of Illustrator, and the subtle UX interface differences has alienated its use for the beginning user, but once you get over the learning curve and the hurdles of "simply finding the right button" - it all starts to click, layers, and masks, and paths all become normal and then a world of accurate design is opened up. Making things that would take a long time in Photoshop a simple task in Illustrator (circular paths, for example, or pattern making are done so much easier in Illustrator than could ever be achieved in Photoshop) -

The best of both worlds (bitmap and vector) is to become proficient in both, but one area Adobe could look at is making Illustrator more uniform with Photoshop in it's way of presenting its user interface. There are *so many* inconsistencies between the two brother software packages.

Niraj J.

Adobe Illustrator is hands down the best illustration software that is available in the market.

Reviewed on 9/7/2018

This software gave me the opportunity to express my imagination into the form of artwork. The best thing was that it didn't take much time to get a hold of this beautiful yet very complex software.

The fact that there is not a single better alternative to Adobe Illustrator says everything about the work they have put in to create it.

I was able to learn this software very quickly and got good in few weeks. I earn living with the use of this tool.

I'm glad that I came across this software.

Pros

Amazing interface.
They crafted it so perfectly that no other competitor can match it.

Easy to learn.
What is the best thing about any software? It should be easy to learn for a complete new person. Adobe Illustrator nails it. A person with artistic skills will learn this software in no time.

Quick support.
Are you stuck at any step or you have a bug that is stopping your project? Just contact Adobe and you will get support before you finish closing the software. Seriously, I have never seen such a swift support from any other company.

Vast amount of resources.
You don't need to worry about the help here. Millions of people use and post helpful resources on daily basis over the Internet forums. You will get many helpful professionals helping you when you are stuck at any of your progress. The best thing about this is that they will like to help you.

Multi OS support.
If you have a latest version of Adobe Illustrator, you can use it across many different OS. Be it Windows. Be it Ubuntu. Just connect your create cloud account and you don't have two worry about your operating system.

No pixelation!
So, most of the people struggle with one thing in the graphics industry and that is pixelation. But with the vector technology of Adobe Illustrator, you don't have to worry about the pixels anymore. You can zoom your art in a microscopic level and it'll still be crisp and clear.

Cons

Hight system resources.
So, it's very safe to assume that you're going to need a good computer to properly use Adobe Illustrator. It's a very advanced software with countless features that will use up your system resources.

Can't handle digital images very well.
As the purpose of Adobe Illustrator is to create vector art, it's not coded very well to be compatible with digital images that contains pixels. Pixels cannot be converted into vector so don't confuse photo editing softwares with illustrations softwares.

Very complex interface from other Adobe products.
Since it's a very powerful software, Adobe couldn't compromise on the complexion of its user interface. Artist will have to get used to the interface before starting to work on complex projects.

Tom O.

I could not do my job without Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 12/6/2017

Better synergy between colleagues and suppliers. Hugely improved design capabilities. Incredible integrations with other key Creative Suite programs.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is an industry staple for graphic design and rightly so. The vector capabilities, typographic options, and artboard flexibility make Illustrator tough to rival. Integrating well with other staples such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign and Adobe After Effects mean that the full Adobe Creative Suite are vital to my every day work as a graphic, web & motion designer.

Specific strengths of Adobe Illustrator are the clever 'anchor point' mechanics that make all shapes wonderfully flexible and the simplicity & flexibility of the UI. Options familiar from the rest of the Adobe Creative Suite such as blend modes, layers, distortion tools etc are all available making it quick to adopt for users of other Creative Suite tools.

It's hard to find fault with Illustrator at all as a tool. I have been using it for well over a decade through various different versions and iterations and for several different purposes. each version improves on the functionality without upsetting the classic benefits of the system. A recent update included the incredibly useful 'Asset Export' tool which has helped streamline my web development process hugely.

Cons

The two drawbacks that spring to mind with Illustrator are the cost and the size. As a powerful solution, Illustrator is naturally a large program. As a result, load times, even on higher end computers can be slow. Larger documents with multiple effects and raster graphics exacerbate this further but it's par of the course for the functionality required.

Cost wise, I can't comment on Illustrator alone as it is usually retailed as part of the larger 'Creative Suite' or "Creative Cloud' packages. for the full suite (which is justifiably vast), the cost is on the higher side for subscription-based software. Illustrator can be purchased alone for but I can think of few users who would use Illustrator as a stand-alone product.

All that said, Illustrator is an essential design tool and justifies both it's size and cost comfortably.

Derek R.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

My FAVORITE tool for website design

Reviewed on 23/12/2020

What I love most about Illustrator is how easy it is to manage different elements (text, simple graphics, etc. - because it's all vector-based) and how that easily translates into building websites. The lack of fancy filters and graphic editing tools found in Photoshop makes it easier to visualize how I'm going to rebuild my designs in HTML using just CSS. This means I can create sites that aren't reliant on lots of graphic files, resulting in a smaller footprint and faster loading times. I also prefer to have the big canvas with (if needed) multiple artboards for visualizing my ideas and moving design elements around until my vision is achieved.

Pros

Years ago, I designed websites in Photoshop. It's what everyone else was doing, so I did it too. At some point, I started using Illustrator, and haven't looked back. While I know Illustrator can do SO MUCH MORE than what I'm doing with it (and more than I can even comprehend), I have found it to be an invaluable tool in website design because of both 1) how easily I can create website compositions, and 2) how easy it is to replicate those designs in HTML and CSS. The more visual elements you can create with CSS in a website (and not rely on actual graphic files), the better.

Cons

For my purposes, I don't have any cons. I use the software almost every day and it does exactly what I need. If I can't "do it" in Illustrator, I know it's something I probably shouldn't be trying to achieve in HTML.

Jason R.
  • Industry: Design

I love this program but I haven't always.

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

When I first started using it, I had been used to working with Macromedia Freehand. I loved Freehand so much so when I was forced to start using Illustrator because my new job only had it and not Freehand, I was very frustrated. It didn't do a lot of things that Freehand did. In fact it took many years for Illustrator to catch up to what Freehand could do but now I love Illustrator and would never switch. I've even looked at less expensive options and they just aren't as powerful. Illustrator helps you draw really precise shapes and the new(ish)combine tool speeds things up so much as opposed to using the pathfinder. I also find the curve tool to be really amazing. Where I used to struggle to get really smooth curves, this tool does it for me. It's such a time-saver! Illustrator really is my go-to program for logo, designs, flyers, and even web design. I much prefer to design web designs in Illustrator because it's so easy to move things around and align things and scale things if needed. I then export my designs into Photoshop to get them web ready.

Pros

It's so comprehensive and creates amazing results. The last few years, they have really added many great features that I wished were there all along.

Cons

It's so comprehensive; meaning there is so much to learn. My son asked me to teach him lately and I just laughed. I wouldn't even know where to begin. There is so much this program does and I have been using it for over 15 years so that's how I know how to get around but there is still stuff I don't know how to use in it.

My favorite vector program

Reviewed on 27/4/2019

I have been using Illustrator consistently for 5 years. I initially attempted using it 9 years ago. It was incredibly frustrating to switch from using Photoshop regularly to using Illustrator regularly, but as a branding consultant and logo designer, vectors were very necessary for my workflow. I do almost everything in illustrator now and have spent money on plug ins to make it work even better. I don't know what I'd do without it.

Pros

Once I got over the learning curve it was fairly easy to use and achieve exactly what I was going for. My favorite features are the shape builder, puppet, Adobe Color, and the pathfinder tools. I have played with the spot gradient feature only a little, and even with the glitch explained below, it's a fantastic tool. I look forward to improvements on it.

Cons

If you have a lot of fonts installed, it takes a long time to load the program. Also, the program tends to lag when using fonts. It's common to have a number of complicated fonts on your system, and illustrator will let you know by slowing down a great deal that there's a font it doesn't like. Good luck figuring out which one.

The spot gradient tool resets randomly. Sometimes when I move an object that I've set colors for, and sometimes when I simply select the object. When you go through the trouble of selecting all the appropriate colors for your design and they all reset to only 1 of the colors you chose, it is frustrating. This feature needs work. I would use it regularly when it gets fixed.

Connor P.

Time Consuming

Reviewed on 23/5/2020

My main feedback regarding Adobe Illustrator is that it is extremely time-consuming. To finish a project and fine-tune it to look exactly how you envisioned, it may take longer than expected; I've found myself often modifying designs on a point-by-point basis, which is very tedious.

Pros

There are many great features and tools that make Adobe Illustrator one of the leading options for professional graphic design and vector illustration. Being able to scale designs without losing quality is a huge step up from raster-based design solutions.

Cons

There are so many features and ways to accomplish a goal that it sometimes becomes overwhelming. This is great for experienced users, but beginners may have a hard time learning the best way to implement the many tools available within the software.

Jhonnathan M.

Illustrator, on vectorization and illustration.

Reviewed on 21/12/2018

At first I really had a hard time running the program. I had previous knowledge of Photoshop, but in part this was more confusing because the commands and organization of Illustrator for some reason are different from the rest of the Adobe family. But once I started to control the program its use became really faster, and ended up being a powerful tool for building much more complex and advanced illustrations. I ended up producing higher level content. Really recommended!

Pros

Handling vector elements and reorganizing them in the desired way make illustrator a powerful tool if you want to apply in the field of Digital Illustration. Its automatic vectorization with different levels of configuration make it an excellent companion when creating large illustrations with fragments of elements or images of generic use. If infinite variety of brushes, colors and transparencies allow each line and spot is exactly in place. It has the perfect balance between interface and functionality. Probably the best program on the market in this area.

Cons

If you want to start in the world of digital illustration, Illustrator is your best option, but it is also a difficult tool to learn how to use. Because of its high professional level it is not usually mastered at first. Apart from its high difficulty the program provides many elements at a glance, but many others remain hidden in an interface that seems to be an endless maze for those who do not know or are familiar with the programs of the adobe family.

• Industry: Publishing

The design standard flr any graphics company

Reviewed on 19/7/2020

I'm an Adobe user for several years, and Illustrator is one of the most powerful tools for any design. From packaging to character design due its versatility, it's easy to use tools. Very straightforward content to help any graphic artist deliver the best results for their project.

Pros

My favourite tools are everything on the tool set. Easy to access and capabilites to allow me to create something useful and visually appealing in the shortest time possible.
It's capable of opening most of graphic file formats to allow the user edit, recreate or implement them in their projects.

Cons

It would be useful if it used less ram at the beginning so it didn't need as much resources as well wider and stable compatibility with older GPUs.

Jeff B.

Versatile Software

Reviewed on 25/2/2021

Great. Freed up value time in design and over quality of designs. Versatility helps customize and properly formant digital files for printing, website, ad display and more.

Pros

The software is robust and provides all the different varieties of marketing asset editing we need. The help section is great, but the internet is full of additional knowledge bases to help with your learning curve and knowledge gap. The other great feature is the seamless hand-offs and collaboration with your design team. Great for a small business that needs to do some lower level design work and pass off to designer when needed.

Cons

The price is more than cookie cutter planforms like Canva, but you are not suck in their sandbox design. The other challenge is the learn curve. The robustness of the software takes time and patience to learn how to use.

Sherm S.

Adobe is tops in graphics software - but no other options?

Reviewed on 11/2/2020

Illustrator has a consistent interface with the rest of the Creative Cloud apps, allowing you to move seamlessly from Photoshop to InDesign to Illustrator without losing a beat. I like the fact that Illustrator allows you to save as an Illustrator PDF file, saving from having to export a separate file from an .AI file. I now keep all my files as PDFs that I can share with clients, open in Acrobat or Adobe Reader, or open in Illustrator to edit.

Pros

I've been using Illustrator since it was released, version '88'. I like the fact that I can use the SAME keyboard shortcuts and most of the same commands in the same way since the original version. The capabilities are solid, being able to create and edit vector files, include raster (image) files, and I like that they finally added multiple pages -- although they bizarrely call "artboards".

Cons

For several versions, the software was very buggy. Adobe tends to rush updates to market without testing them thoroughly sometimes. I also dislike that newer versions require more storage space for the software, more processing power from the computer, and the "upgrades" they make by adding new features so they can continue to charge for updates. Also don't like that there isn't a real viable Mac competitor like Freehand. CorelDraw left the Mac market but has apparently come back, but all my files are in .AI format.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

Illustrator is my must have tool to design high quality vector graphic images that I use every...

Reviewed on 7/3/2018

Pros

This software is fast and very reliable. It gets regularly updated by adobe where they are constantly innovating new tools and things that the software can do. This keeps the software on the cutting edge. Adobe is great about making sure you know there is a new tool and just how to use it.

Illustrator excels in typography and the way you can manipulate test. The creation of shapes and graphics is second to none.

Illustrator is an industry standard when it comes to graphics and vector designs. I work as a Media and Communications Minister and I use this software everyday to create everything from social media graphics, to logos, to T-shirts, to branding, and beyond. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.

Cons

It is hard to find something to not like about the software so I will say this, there is a pretty big learning curve when first starting the software. It can be quit intimidating for someone who has never used a design software although adobe is good at offering tutorials on how to get going.

It is also a bit expensive when you consider wanting multiple different adobe software. I have had the random crashes when working on some pretty intricate designs but there is a recovery feature that works more times than not.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Robust and Customizable Design Software

Reviewed on 20/7/2019

Overall, Adobe Illustrator is a really robust software that allows you to make truly original designs. Frustrating at times since it is so detailed and not very user-friendly, it takes a long while to get used to using and watching a lot of YouTube tutorials. However, once you get used to it it is a fantastic tool for innovation and design.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is an extensive and very customizable software. On Adobe Illustrator you can really get as creative and as detailed as you would like for your designs. Adobe Illustrator is an empty canvas for creativity and innovation, as it offers very little pre-made designs and photos at their disposal for users. Adobe Illustrator is not for people who want to design something quick and simple, but for someone looking to make truly original and comprehensive digital masterpieces. When one learns how to navigate Adobe Illustrator, it makes for a truly unique and useful software that allows for creativity and originality to flourish.

Cons

One thing I wish could improve about Adobe Illustrator would the user-friendliness. It takes a really long time to learn what all of the buttons mean and all of the features that Adobe Illustrator offers. The toolbar doesn't do a great job of indicating where certain features belong and I've found myself spending upwards of hours searching how to do a simple task. There is no automation whatsoever on the software, which means you sometimes have to spend hours doing a menial task such as outlining a photo. Ultimately the lack of automation is due to the highly customizable nature of the software, but for novice designers, Adobe Illustrator is very intimidating.