Adobe Illustrator

7810 Software options

Diego V.

analysis software

Reviewed on 24/7/2021

In more than 12 years that I have been in the design of concepts and advertising pieces, I have used various design programs, but the adobe package, mainly Illustraitor and Photoshop, are excellent for its development

Pros

All its tools are focused on the precision of the design and the development and creation of graphic pieces, brand construction and others.

Cons

In some cases the file compatibility is restricted, the various versions in some cases become restrictions when opening a file

CorelDRAW

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

For the highest quality, ease and practicality when designing, all its tools are fully specialized
Cleo H.

From Logos to House Plans

Reviewed on 4/12/2020

I was working at Adobe at the time Illustrator was being created and have used it continuously over the years. I use it to create overlays on maps for zoning projects, I have done detailed plans for a house that I built, I always use it for logos, posters, most projects where I want a lot of flexibility with laying things out.

Pros

The ability to create and control outline shapes. The fact that it has been in existence since the 80s and probably isn't going anywhere makes it worth learning. The things that do change or get added are mostly beneficial and logical additions. Tools like Pathfinder really work well. Masking works well once you get the gist of it. The pen tool is especially great if you know how bezier curves behave. I think they have added a lot of functionality over the years that I'm not even aware of since I never need it to do more.

Cons

There are a few nits and lice that have always bothered me but I honestly can't say that they don't have workarounds that I just haven't learned about. I wish there were a fast way to create an often used color palette. I end up making little squares on the page with the colors I want and using the dropper to grab them. The artboard is a little cumbersome until you get the hang of it. I often need to fit artwork to bounds (good for creating svg files that don't have weird empty origins). When you look for the Preset page size the dropdown starts with the setting you currently are on - it's not obvious that Fit To Artwork Bounds is above the dropdown list and you have to scroll up! Finding a tool palette can also be hard when you have a lot of them open. You can see that they are open in the windows list but if you select the item it will turn off the item. What would be nice is to somehow flash or bring to front an item so you can locate it. These are minor things but I have noticed them over the years.

Souhil S.

The Best Vector Based Design Software

Reviewed on 1/12/2020

I use Illustrator daily to create cool vector designs because I need the highest resolution to print them on a lot of things and with Illustrator I really get the things done and I'm always happy with the results.
I think Adobe Illustrator is the best Vector and Design software in the market right now and after using it for many years I never had any problems and I always get the work done.
Adobe is an amazing company, and I'm sure they will keep improving this software and adding some useful tools and features.

Pros

It's very easy to use, and you can create anything from scratch, you need just some designing or drawing knowledge, and you are good to go.
It comes with a lot of useful design tools, filters, and effects...etc.
I can create anything using Adobe Illustrator and the sky is the limit.
I can also, use it to create topography designs for many things (shirts, wall art, business cards, text)...etc.
I like adobe stock and the library of graphics, images, videos, and templates.
Also, the drawing app is great, and It allows me to draw on top of any picture using different elements and colors.
Fast rendering especially for the biggest resolution of 300 DPI.
I like the shortcuts and this gives us a fantastic option to save time doing our creative work on Adobe Illustrator.
It allows me to use my files saved in Dropbox without downloading them because I can browse them from Illustrator.
I can open many PDF files and use them as a vector and I can convert any picture/image to a vector with simple steps.
The best thing about Illustrator is you can use Photoshop files and InDesign files without any problem and you can edit them too with it.
Also, Creative Cloud is an amazing deal and you can get access to a lot of cool stuff.
Adobe website has a lot of free resources about how to use Adobe Illustrator and about everything related to design and creativity.

Cons

I would love to see the crop tool in Illustrator like in Photoshop.
They can add some Photoshop tools to Illustrator for example "remove background" tool.
But, after all, they are doing a great job and always I get a new version I really feel the change they made to the program.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Used for 2+ years

“An awesome graphic designing software with many tools”

Reviewed on 28/4/2020

Adobe illustrator is a wonderful software and its features are amazing. I am using this software for my graphic designing work and I use this software for video editing, web designing, making shapes, photo editing, and creating logos for my projects as well as for my university clubs which I have engaged in. It consists of many awesome tools. According to my overall opinion, this graphic designing software helps me a lot and I highly recommended this software for graphic designers.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator software has loads of options for creation and it is boundless. It gives me the output which I dreamed about and it satisfies me all expectations too. Adobe Illustrator consists of many tools such as After Effects, Photoshop, Audition, Illustrator, and Adobe Premiere which give me marvelous functions. These tools can be easily learned if we touch with our basic understandings about their usage. I should tell that this software consists of a first-rate vector tool that can be used to create vector graphics and this software can be used to make high-quality graphics using these amazing graphics tools. This software is convenient with its price and adobe creative cloud package comes with it. This software is capable of creating graphs, charts, animations, and cartoons too. The continual software updates with immediate fixes and new features that help to improve this software are commendable. I love the integration of this software with other Adobe products such as InDesign and Photoshop as it helps me to get files and access them. I am so happy with using this software.

Cons

This software takes a lot of time when loading on my computer. I think that this software is hard to use by a beginner as it requires good training to use this software. Sometimes it is difficult to find tools on the interface. The hiding if tools over other tools are annoying and it is difficult to find out them and I am confused to open these tools in these times. Immense use of CPU and RAM. Those are the downsides I observed in this software and these issues should be concerned.

Braden W.
  • Industry: Machinery

A Graphic Design Must

Reviewed on 9/4/2020

Overall, I would rate my experience positively. I am the Marketing Manager for a small company, and do consulting on the side, both of which require me to conduct some graphic design. Although I am not a designer/artist by trade, I've found as our business and my consulting has grown I have needed to enhance my knowledge and skills in GD in order to "keep up". Although you can find work arounds, I would say that Illustrator is a great tool for anyone who works in the Graphic Design field, or even the periphery.

Pros

For an experienced Adobe user, this is an easy software to pickup because it is structured in the same manner as the other Creative Cloud applications. Tools and layering is all the same which makes it easy to adapt too. The greatest individual/unique benefit is that it allows for A LOT more freedom for design than, namely, Adobe Photoshop. The reason I compare the two is that you could theoretically use them for similar static graphic design purposes and get relatively similar end results. However, Adobe allows for far more functionality and flexibility to create and design static imagery, and is far more tailored to true artwork than editing.

Cons

Some of the functional tools are not as easy to manipulate in comparison to other Creative Cloud apps. Using Photoshop as a semi-comparable rival for static graphic design-specific purposes; for the application of manipulating objects and text, I found Illustrator to have a steeper learning curve than Photoshop. Since it allows you to delve into more aspects of manipulating the objects, and to create vector imagery out of anything (or just about) that you create within an ai document, I found myself inadvertently altering objects in ways I was unfamiliar with. To be fair, I did not take any formal coursework or tutorial prior to diving in to using Illustrator, all was self-taught after having more extensive experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.

Sk D.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Considered an industry standard but with cons

Reviewed on 6/11/2019

I have solved a number of business problems with Adobe Illustrator and I am grateful to have it. In particular the tracing feature has helped me many times by translating a jpg to a vector-based image that is then perfect for design work, fully scalable and easy to send to print. Adobe Illustrator involves some deep investment and the problematic subscription system is causing it to lose customers but to its credit it is continually supplying users with new features and top tools.

Pros

If your thing is graphic design in a vector format, it has a collection of powerful tools that allow for endless versatility and beautiful final products and with each release this brilliant program just gets better. Yes, there is a learning curve but there is also a myriad of resources to teach a new user how to find their way around this program, which unfolds and becomes fascinating in its depth of capability. I studied Adobe Illustrator in design school and it is a pleasure to use. Work flow can be customized for an individual user. Endless features with powerful abilities. I personally value assets such as batch change and movable panes, as well as Adobe Illustrator's great brush library, endless fonts and a feeling of unlimited functionality for those committed to developing high quality vector-based design.

Cons

There is an online subscription fee with a high cancellation charge and people trying to unsubscribe meet with extremely frustrating customer support. Through its problematic subscription arrangement Adobe is creating a large number of bitter customers. In terms of the program itself, it does have occasional bugs that surface and more seriously, actual crashing issues, although generally Illustrator is great at saving work before crashing. It can run slowly on computers without high amounts (16 gigs) of RAM, and large files can take up a lot of space on your computer. These problems make Adobe Illustrator, which is considered a required program for all new graphic designers, also represent a sort of elitism that I dislike. Customer service failings and the feeling of being trapped in an expensive monthly subscription, along with the near-necessity of sinking at least $1000 into buying a high RAM computer, are not artist-friendly. Adobe didn't used to be like this. It's as if they know their suite of creative tools are industry standard and they are holding designers somewhat at ransom to their reputation, not a marriage everyone wants. However, while there ARE open source and alternative vector design programs for fledgling designers, including ones that are open source and not elitist in the way Adobe currently seems to be, these will also come with their own problems, in particular they will not have Adobe Illustrator's perfect colour-matching and ease of interface.

I. adrian A.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Creativity through illustration is the maximum strength of this software

Reviewed on 5/9/2018

Those designers and companies that need to improve their designs and the performance of their designers, should have this software as a priority among their next acquisitions, as it happened with me, I'm sure that those who start using the software will discover a new world in design thanks to Adobe Illustrator.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is simply impressive software, since I started using it I have gone into great depth with my designs. On the one hand, it has a powerful graphic engine defined as vector drawing, which is none other than the mathematical constitution of image design, making the task of designing more precise and visually attractive than the well-known "bitmap".

Among the most outstanding benefits I can mention are the following:

The software is not so heavy, taking up little space on the hard disk. But even though it seems to be more incomplete because of this, on the contrary, it is the software that offers more tools for design.

This is a great advantage as we can see images with a lot of design content on any computer, with acceptable features in your system.

Some of the formats are susceptible to the addition of animations, this has allowed me to make designs much more interesting and attractive for the client who requests it.

Vector drawing is an excellent methodology because it simply improves the quality of the design, lines, colors, shapes, layers and other characteristics of the design being undertaken.

Cons

One of the limitations or cons that I can place on this software is that it is not easy to use. When I discovered it, it took me a while to learn how to use most of its tools. So I recommend doing courses and training while using the software, because what makes this software interesting is to use it to its maximum capacity.

Badshah B.

The perfect tool for vector illustration and professional designing

Reviewed on 29/6/2018

A must-have tool for designing department in any organization. The software is not resolution dependent which gives guaranteed best print output every time. Affinity Designer is a close call but our team will go with Adobe Illustrator any day.

Pros

We have been using the original licensed version of the software in our organization for a pretty long time. The creative dept. uses the software for designing icons for web and app, logos, print materials and business cards. Can be virtually used for almost any type of designing. Expertise in Photoshop and InDesign will be very much helpful in using this software. A wide set of tools, filters and effects are available which makes sketches, designing and illustration an easy task. The paid version has a bundle of stock arts, high-quality vector artwork and fonts that can be used extensively. It also supports files from other external software such as PSD files from Adobe Photoshop, PDF, vector formats such as EPS, and CDR files from Corel Draw. Adobe cloud is an added advantage that makes sharing of creative data easy with others users.

Cons

1. Even though tutorials are useful, only a professionally trained designer can take full advantage of the software. The learning curve is steep. 1-2 year is required for attaining proficiency.
2. Quite expensive. This may be due to the monopoly Adobe has over this space.
3. Updates are very rare. For fixing minor to major bugs and errors, we have to wait a long time.
4. For editing objects with multiple nodes and for complex designing, the system resources are consumed very quickly and cause the system to hang or crash at many times.

Steve B.

Quite simply, I could not design software without Adobe Illustrator.

Reviewed on 10/5/2018

I need the ability to create high-fidelity mockups in my job as a UX designer. Without Illustrator, I couldn't do my job.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator has been an evolving tool for so long that its checkered history is sometimes hard to remember. I was a die-hard Freehand user when Adobe acquired Macromedia, and I missed artboards to the point that I refused to use Illustrator. When they were added to the product in the CS3 or CS4 release, I reevaluated the tool, and I've used it almost daily since then. While nearly all of the Creative Suite/Creative Cloud applications have a steep learning curve, there is a multitude of videos and blogs and groups that can help you accomplish what you're trying to do in Illustrator. Because files are vectors, they're not nearly as large as Photoshop, making them ideal for use with high-res systems. Import of EPS, SVG, and other vectors is fantastic. Export to them and PDF is also great. Export for Screens is a great addition, making icon generation for iOS and Android excellent. The recent integration with Adobe XD gets me closer to a fantastic workflow in static wireframing to interactive prototyping than possible using other tools.

Cons

The sheer complexity of Illustrator is only exceeded by Photoshop or Premier in the Creative Cloud suite. There are so many different ways of accomplishing nearly the same thing that the results can be meaningfully different at scale or when other effects are applied. Adobe Illustrator files can be imported into Sketch, but Illustrator cannot import Sketch files, which is problematic as I do not use a Mac and often receive Sketch assets, requiring me to find someone with a Mac to download a Sketch trial to convert to EPS or PDF so I can use the assets in Sketch. Adobe was late to getting its UI to support high-density displays on Windows, so older version were nearly impossible to use as the menu and toolbars were so tiny that they were almost illegible. While Adobe has made great strides in solving this, it still doesn't feel like the tool is ready for touch displays, rather ironic for a product named "Illustrator." Feature integration with the Microsoft Surface line of tools is nice, but not easily explained by the product. When I want to know what things it can do with my Surface Book, for example, I always have to hit up YouTube to find someone to explain it to me.

Kevin O.

I Could Not Do My Job Without Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 10/10/2020

1000000000% incredible. Has been a game changer for my design work, and now I'm working at industry standard, and able to create the highest quality graphic design and social media content using Illustrator, and not putting out a mediocre product.

Pros

Coming from a background never using any Adobe products, Illustrator is incredibly user friendly, and Adobe does a great job of making all keyboard shortcuts and toggles so easy to use across all their applications.

Cons

Very little cons. Definitely a lot to figure out at first, but like any new application / platform you learn, once you start to dig into it, you learn the shortcuts and methods to work most efficiently. The only con I would say is (for Mac) not being able to use Command + H to hide the Illustrator window like you can with other Adobe products.

Md. K.

Adobe Illustrator make it easy used to high quality artwork

Reviewed on 28/3/2020

I like it very much. It's used too easily and works faster using several time-saving. Adobe Illustrator is used to creating a variety of cartoons, art, charts, animations, diagrams, graphs, logos, banner, flyer, sketch, postcards, posters, mock-ups, icons used within the help of any website or apps. I have created a vector design this is awesome for us. Also like such as many colors, curve, fill, shape and thickness are great. I like it, especially for pixelation. This creates large images such as a billboard sign and more.

Pros

1. Basic shapes and paths.
2. Vector prowess and raster capabilities.
3. Drawing tools: Pen and Pencil tools, Curvature tool, select and edit paths.
4. Capturing inspiration for vector art got easier.
5. Easily save any type of format.
6. Image Trace tool is awesome used for raster images like the pros.
7. Pattern brush to a path is a good instrument.

Cons

Adobe Illustrator is the best software for edit, artwork and more. But sometimes is slow work down my computer. But I used it better at any time. I like it better and feel free to use it.

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

I also like Acrobat Reader DC For open PDF File and more file.
Davide C.

Standard Software

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Every graphic process has been imported on Adobe Illustrator since I buy a Mac. Corel Draw Works until x11 version so I must choose a software is working with Os.
Adobe Illustrator was the choose and every single work com out from my advertising studio has been made with this software.

Pros

If you Know Illustrator, you are a graphic designer.
This software is the standard software for being a designer and everything was started from this software.
Easy to use, really complete and very powerful for vector design.

Cons

I've used Corel Draw for over 10 years and shortcuts are different, but if you know vector design elements, shapes combination, with Adobe illustrator is very easy.

Affinity Designer

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Illustrator

'cause I buyed a mac.

CorelDRAW

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

For biggest distribution. Affinity has a very small market.
Sydney L.

Absolutely Necessary

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Awesome. I was super scared of Illustrator before I learned it in college because it has so many abilities and so many tools, but once I got over that learning curve, it became my most-used program for design. It makes me look like a much better artist than I really am because of the amount of control I have over the program.

Pros

Illustrator allows me to create designs and have full control over them. I am able to implement just about every idea I could possibly have to any design I could think of. Illustrator is a great tool that has become 100% necessary in the design community. Illustrator is best used for creating things like logos, large illustrations, ultra-high-quality designs, and other similar things. I love the amount of control I get with Illustrator.

Cons

I don't like using it for multi-page designs. My coworkers tend to like Illustrator more than InDesign, so I often get templates for projects like booklets or things like that that include lots of type layout. I do not like using Illustrator for extensive type layout. It is not a type layout program, it doesn't handle type as well as InDesign.

I also don't love the inconsistencies from Illustrator to Photoshop. For example, when creating a clipping mask, the layers that clip each other in Illustrator are the opposite of the order of the layers in Photoshop. I understand that, conceptually, it makes sense the way they are, but for someone who's often switching between the two, it can become just a bit of a pet peeve.

Will S.

Adobe Illustrator Packaging Designer Review

Reviewed on 19/11/2018

Overall I don't love it, but there aren't many great alternatives. Inkscape comes close, but it has a long learning curve; Affinity designer is also great, but, like Illustrator, is paid. In addition, I think people are generally distrusting of Adobe ever since the hack that compromised all their source code, as well as the massive security problems with Flash player, even after Adobe said these problems would be tended to.
In my opinion, Adobe has a few years left to save itself. It is doing great now, yes, but given a little more time, programs like GIMP will have poached so much of their market that if Adobe doesn't find a way to make itself more trustworthy or worth the money they will be headed for a slippery slope.
Best option would probably be to create a mix of Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, like they said they'd do years ago. Breaking into the 3d game might seem like a good idea, but Autodesk has that whole side of design pretty well wrapped -- and the name attached may be even bigger than Adobe.

Pros

While I have to admit it is miles better in CC than it was in CS6, there are still many problems Adobe Illustrator has yet to fix. One thing they did very will in CC is the new UI layout and navigation, especially for Mac users. Not much changed in the layout, but it was all positive, and the navigation overhaul was a much needed fix.

Cons

-Crashes & the 'saving but not saving' bug, and especially the 'saving on desktop as a temp file' bug, which I have only experienced on PCs.
-On some computers in our office, it was almost astonishingly slow. I'm not sure what caused this, but it always worked on my (new) PC at work, and especially well on my speedy home Mac.
-Adobe's documentation and help staff may be the worst I have ever seen. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people complain about a flaw only to have adobe staff reply that it is part of a 'feature.' If every user says it is a flaw, call it what you want -- it is still a flaw.

Jeff W.
  • Industry: Design

Could you live without it?

Reviewed on 14/1/2019

Overall, we've seen Adobe Illustrator go through some (this is an understatement) massive changes over the years, I feel as if it's finally coming into its 21st century self and showing all of us designers what it can really do for and with us as far as accommodating our needs for MORE fonts MORE "smart" tools and more useable templates and mock-ups that are quickly available in the start menu. Overall, Illustrator and I are inseparable. Isn't that what every tech company would want to hear from a user?

Pros

Adobe Illustrator has been around for decades. Let that sink in. While it's come a long way in that time, and my experience with it has spanned one and a half of those decades, it hasn't always been the supreme beast we all know it can be and is now. The pros are the latest UI updates, font accessibility, feature functionality and its overall integration with CC (which I, admittedly, hated at the beginning, but I think the growing pains are fading) as a feature-rich and wildly functional design tool for print, web and everything in between.

Cons

Imagining myself 15 years ago as a new inductee to the current software is nightmarish. It can be cumbersome and the learning curve can be steep if you're accustomed to Photoshop icons and keyboard shortcuts that simply do not translate even though the tool icon or shortcut are the same. While all of those things are fully customizable, the tweaks lie deep in the menus and can be off-putting and frustrating for new or non-daily users.

Milos M.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Top Pros and Cons of Adobe Illustrator CC

Reviewed on 13/1/2019

Pros

Using Adobe illustrator CC is good for beginners also for advance users in graphic design world.
After using it for few years, I manage to accomplish many goals as graphic designer and also to specialize in specific style of design.

Adobe Illustrator gives many options and opportunity to express your design style as a graphic designer.
What’s more important it is not so hard for use. There are allot of tutorials and learning material that can help you grow as a graphic designer.

The latest version offers better use of vector to graphic designers who specialize in this area. Some of these improvements include: simple Free Transform tool that is very useful and practical if you need to resize an object without a hustle. Also, there are big improvements on other existing tools.

For example:
The latest version now supports Microsoft's Surface Dial.
Next to that, there’s is support for CSV and XML in the Variables Panel.
Now you can import multi page PDFs within one project.
Also, you can use the software to browse Dropbox files without downloading it.

In general, Adobe Illustrator CC vector editing tools are much superior to most other vector graphics software that can be found on the market.

Cons

Sometimes, the Program can crash when you’re working with extremely large object and when large pixel resolution is included.
The cost of this software is relatively high, but again, it depends on what you’re planning to use it for.
Another frequent issue that occurs on lower-spec rigs is the performance drop when editing, resizing, manipulating and otherwise changing the shape and size of objects. This can be a real drag as it slows down the computer and the entire process

Edgar R.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Getting faster and with more flow on each version

Reviewed on 18/2/2019

Even though I've tried other vector design software I still come back to my roots (I've been doodling around with it since version 4 back in 1992. I'm not an expert, but I can say that Illustrator always seems to amaze me. From the tremendously big app that needed alot of resources to even more fluent and fast versions, when I need to get the designs done the right way, to be used on print or screen, Illustrator is my place to go.

Pros

Each update seems a very big overhaul of the last version. Shape editing gets better and better by the day. Minimal adjustments can be made in seconds that make designing and drawing much quicker and not necesarily with a stylus pen. Making your vector designs shareable through other Adobe apps like Photoshop, Indesign, Premiere and even After Effects for motion graphics without quality loss is a big plus over other vector design software.
Plus, how about exporting your vectors to MS Office! you can do that on Powerpoint and Word just to make your daily office work and reports shine!

Cons

The price can be a bit of a draw back, but considering the Cloud version of Illustrator, getting your hands on a piece of software that is also a world standard in design can really be a good investment for anyone in th industry.
If you're new to Illustrator, the learning curve can be a little daunting... but, a plus to Illustrator is the common similarities with the interface and tools that can be found in other software from Adobe.

Fedra S.
  • Industry: Photography

Not so easy to use but with many useful functions

Reviewed on 11/4/2019

As part of my work I make photo albums, calendars, etc. and for that I use several Adobe products such as Indesign, Photoshop and of course, Adobe Illustrator to make the elements that accompany my photographs. Although it was a little difficult to handle, it wasn't impossible and today I enjoy making illustrations to complement my photographs. It's interesting to see how all these softwares complement each other and allow us to create and expand our imagination and skills. I like a lot Adobe products and I use them widely in my profession.

Pros

Illustrator is the best when it comes to making graphic elements of different complexity. I like drawing tools, they are perfect and precise. The use of layers is excellent because I can work elements of different scales to maintain the precision of the drawing and work them separately. It's compatible with other Adobe products so I can use several and migrate from one to another for a better finish.

Cons

The learning curve is uphill, you have to make an effort to understand how the tools are used. There're some tools that you can't find them at first glance, so you should investigate and try to use the shortcut keys to speed up the work. I don't see all this as a disadvantage because when it's mastered, the work flows much better, so I think it's an incentive to know the software well to handle it with precision. If you have used other Adobe products, learning will be much faster since the graphical interface looks like it.

Teddy S.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Great tool for creative image projects

Reviewed on 30/3/2020

I use Adobe Illustrator to create maps for my production team and to send to our Guests. My usage of Illustrator started with just editing previously created maps, but now I will make maps of a location from scratch. I honestly am probably only scratching the surface of Adobe Illustrator's full capabilities, but this shows the software can work great for both basic designers and master artists.

Pros

I do not consider myself to be a creative or artistic person whatsoever, and previous to my current job I had never used Adobe Illustrator, and only briefly used Adobe Photoshop. Adobe Illustrator was very easy to learn and use from day one. There are tutorials you can find online, especially if you are trying to learn a specific function or tool, but even with just playing around with the software on my own I was able to pick up the basic functions. While it is easy to learn the basics, there are a lot of more complicated tools and functions that as you get more familiar with Illustrator you can employ to improve your projects and fine-tune your skills. I love the layers tool. You can essentially create multiple versions of one project all in one file. You simply chose which layers you want visible. This tool is great for creating maps, among other things, as you can display different items, keys, etc. The Curvature tool is also great for fine-tuning lines and shapes to match exactly what you want to create.

Cons

Honestly I cannot think of any negatives to Adobe Illustrator besides the price per month.

Diana G.

A Review from a Novice AI user

Reviewed on 23/6/2018

I was able to teach myself a few things when I worked with various graphics. I'm not a graphic designer and a pro may have another solution to recommend.

As a novice I enjoyed learning Illustrator which does a good job of presenting a lot of training clips to teach you how to use it.

Pros

There are a million options to use with Adobe Illustrator and it's a lot of fun to play with. I mostly used Illustrator to adjust vector graphics I received.

This review is for novices. I'm not a graphic designer with experience to use this product to its fullest potential. My work in Illustrator is very basic. I'd take vector graphics and adjust colors, move objects, work with layers, rasterize fonts, add fills, resize.

I did purchase a course to learn how to create my own logo from scratch in Illustrator but I never completed it because it wasn't an urgent priority compared to other skills I need to keep up to date. It's a cool enough piece of software that I wanted to learn more but my work doesn't require that level of expertise.

If you're a graphic designer you're already well versed on the horse power behind Adobe Illustrator and are able to continually up your game to produce amazing designs with it.

I decided to cancel my subscription and I want to give a big credit to the customer support agent who handled my request. I wasn't put through a painful extraction process to keep me on the subscription. I was offered a free month in the interim if I wanted to change my mind. That agent did a fine balance of encouraging me to stay on without crossing that line where I could get frustrated. Kudos.

Cons

If you're a novice like me and don't mind spending the monthly subscription to use Illustrator have at it. I decided it was time to cut the cord for something I not only rarely used but don't have the skill set to use the sheer force behind all the tools it has to offer.

I can't compare it to other graphic design solutions, though there are some free options that I will be taking a look at to address my super basic needs.

• Industry: Mental Health Care
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Love it!

Reviewed on 10/5/2021

I love it! I use it for fun projects, for work, and for consulting. It has so many options and shortcuts, and I'm always learning something new within it. It's made my work for personal use, small businesses, and large companies possible and easy.

Pros

Illustrator is my favorite of the Adobe products! I am a graphic designer so I use it for everything - logos, flyers, apparel design, branding guides, everything! It's easily customizable to your tool bar wants, and Adobe has a million of great tutorials to learn new things.

Cons

The price is pretty high. I get the educator discount, so that really helps, but when I was out of work it was pricey to keep the subscription going, even though I needed it in case I got an interview or contract gig.

Gravit Designer Pro

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

Ease of use and customization, as well as the Creative Cloud combo so I could also get PhotoShop, Lightroom, etc.
Ushoshi S.
  • Industry: Design

My primary tool for design

Reviewed on 21/1/2020

Overall, Adobe illustrator is an excellent software, for design and illustration on a regular basis. It's the software i primarily use and will continue using it in the future.
And because of how easy it is use, you can master using it with prolonged use of the software.

Would recomend this software to designers and illustrators.

Pros

I have been using Adobe illustrator for 7 years now. And it's definitely the software i use the most. I am a illustrator as well as a designer, and i do bit of typography. In respect to all these, i find that Adobe illustrator is the best tool.

Listing down a few pros of the software

It's very easy to use. As someone who works on various Adobe softwares for design, illustrator has the best ease of access.

I prefer working in vectors, as compared to pixels. And illustrator allows me to turn anything into a vector. Which also allows me to adjust the size and scale the illustration or creative.

It's got some good and usable brushes. Other applications might offer more.

Cons

One of the cons would definitely be the fact that there are not enough, styling options. Not enough brushes and brush styles. Photoshop offers a lot more.

Because it's a vector based application, the size also tends to get heavy. And if the artwork has a lot of strokes, it often does slow down the application.

Gharsallaoui J.

Illustrator and designers: a straight way for creativity

Reviewed on 31/10/2018

Helped me getting interesting jobs, paid my bills and growing my skills as a web designer and a front-end developer.

Pros

- Very easy to use: Adobe illustrator is easy to learn and it come with a bit of practice. For beginners, you can create awesome illustrations in a very short time.
- Multipurpose tool: You can use it for creating high complicated illustrations, logos, web frames even CV's.
- Very rich dashboard : it's very rich with options and controls that make your life easier, work faster and more efficiently.
- Auto save is a life saver: it has the ability to save your work and even customize the saving time frequency.
- Very high quality : The final graphic result is always satisfying and even optimized to respect other expectations like size ( especially for web designs ).
- Good documentation: Adobe provide an online documentation for using illustrator and adjusting its features.

Cons

- Some bugs from time to time about opening files, saving files, changing colors ( shapes take a gray color some times ) etc...
- A bit expensive even for a pro
- High resource consuming, so you need a powerful machine to enjoy using it.
- Learning some skills can be tricky some times like curved shapes that need a lot of practice.
- Re-downloading and installing it for changing the language.

Jeremy K.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Illustrations made Amazing

Reviewed on 16/2/2019

I love it! Such a great great program to have in my belt of artistic tools.

Pros

Adobe has perfected so many over their programs over the last decade and of all of them that I use from the suite, Illustrator stands out among them all. Initially, it can be very intimidating but I learned by using it daily and taking courses offered through other programs, youtube, and adobe's "help" section. Along with Premiere and Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator has allowed me to take my artwork and imagination to the next level. This is one program that once you learn, you can do it all! Highly Recommend!

Cons

So there is really only two things that I can gripe about that come to mind. First, it is not very user friendly when it comes to those that are just beginning. Even if you are familiar with some of Adobe's other products, this one can be intimidating and frustrating to learn at first. YET, I must say vectoring becomes a breeze when you do learn the basics even. The only other thing that I can really complain about is the pricing. If you are a student of course, this can be affordable but I loved back in the day when you paid a full price once and you had access to it all, and I get the monthly subscription model in 2019, but if it could be a little bit more affordable, it would be a home run!

Aaron G.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Adobe Illustrator is my go to for all vector illustrations

Reviewed on 24/1/2020

Overall, Adobe Illustrator is a great tool that I use on a daily basis. It has been a great tool that continues to improve as Adobe releases newer and newer versions.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is the industry leader in vector artwork. Being a web designer/developer, I use this software daily. It allows me to create artwork that is scalable and is a manageable size so that it doesn't demand a lot for mobile sites. If you're familiar with other Adobe software, this is very easy to pick up and use.

Cons

The biggest con I have with Adobe Illustrator is that it looks very similar to the Adobe Photoshop UI and I find myself getting the two of them confused with each other while working on web graphics. Part of me wishes these two programs would just merge into one, as Photoshop already has the ability to create vector artwork. Another con is that the UI can be intimidating if you aren't familiar with other vector editing software.

Sketch