Malissa C.

Edsby for Gradebook

Reviewed on 10/3/2021

Overall, Edsby does have some features that are really great. The gradebook and report card are the easiest I have ever used. I would recommend if those features are important to you.

Pros

I mainly use Edsby for it's gradebook and report card features. I find it very easy to work with and like to it auto-saves information that is input.

Cons

It is not as user friendly for students and parents as it is for teachers and administration. It freezes and locks students out often.

Lisa B.

Easy to use educational software for attendance, grades, and communication.

Reviewed on 24/4/2018

Pros

Clear and easy to use.
Accessible in mobile and regular format.
"One-stop shopping" for your educational communication: space for anecdotal and numerical grades, ability to communicate directly with students and or parents, attendance entry and communication with the office.
Edsby allows parents to monitor their child's completion of assignments, grades, and what has happened each day in class. Students who are away on family vacations or sports trips can keep track of what happens in class. Teachers can post handouts as well, giving students the ability to complete homework even if they forget a binder at school.
Simple and clear format.

Cons

I am generally pleased with how Edsby works. Any complaints I have are with small details. For example, the reportcard portion of Edsby lacks some of the features of a dedicated gradebook program. Also, I asked the customer service message board if there was a way to print out the curriculum expectations that we select for assignments (which are already in Edsby) at the end of semester, but have not received a response - customer service was much more responsive a few years ago.

Julia P.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Edsby is a great school management tool

Reviewed on 7/8/2020

Edsby is a great teaching and learning tool, but it needs to move forward to be more user friendly for synchronous learning.

Pros

I enjoy the way a class is organized in different subjects and how teachers can be co-administrators.

Cons

There is no way to set up a post to be published in the future or to pin it to the top of the conversation.

Response from Edsby

Thanks, Julia. To capture a sent post at the top of an Edsby class or group, hover over it (in a web browser) and select "Pin," like you would "Like", or "Reply." It's there. Looking at incorporating more features specifically for remote learning.

Jon B.

Edsby LMS - Best of Breed

Reviewed on 1/5/2015

Our school has been using Edsby for 3 years now - it is quite simply the best of breed when it comes to LMS portals. There is nothing I have seen that comes close to its power, simplicity of use, and - most importantly - educational effectiveness.

It integrates with our Blackbaud SIS, so pulls all student, teacher and parents into the cloud.
We have 100% uptake by our teaching faculty and students, our data shows that 65% of parents have logged in, representing 100% of our families (we have an average of 3 parent accounts per student).

We do our report cards, data analysis, and all daily class work and educational communication on Edsby. Specifically:
- All teachers post a "Daybook" showing what was done in class, with links to web sources, attachments etc, plus a list of "homework" to be completed. This running record forms the backbone of what students see and do. Students and parents are presented with this as their homepage, so they always know what went on in class and what to do for homework.
- All assignments, events etc automatically post to student calendars. Students can submit work directly back to Edsby.
- The Gradebook is the best out there. Handles pretty much any grading system imaginable, is very flexible and customizable, and produces awesome graphs etc showing student performance to students, parents, teachers and administrators, flagging overdue assignments, custom notes and observations etc.
- The Student Report Zoom automatically flags at-risk students (great for Administration and Grade Teams). Advisors can get instant summaries of student performance.
- Messages get pushed out to whatever email the parent and student register on the system
- It integrates with Google Docs
- Does attendance of course, including attendance resolution by the Office.
- The "Student Panorama" displays all of a student's information including Medical Alerts entered by our Health Centre, observations by teachers (for other teachers to see and use), attendance information, Academic probation alerts...
And we have built several custom Apps to track Community Service Hours, our own Diploma system which requires students to earn leadership points, engage in school groups, teams, and activities - all tracked through the Edsby report card system.

And all in a fast, friendly web browser.

Will L.

Great product

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

Edsby allows us to centralize all learning-related communication into one management system quite effectively.

Pros

Really like the electronic reporting system that allows parents and students to see students' cumulative learning via Edsby accounts. Communication with all stakeholders occurs very easily and reliably through Edsby, by way of class posts to share assignments, messaging, and sharing of results of assessments. Edsby has an unmistakable and positive influence on learning climate in school culture.

Cons

Messaging allows user to see current feed. It would be helpful to be able to search for particular information in feed sent previously.
Locating and linking to curriculum expectations in Edsby's Planner requires a fair amount of scrolling. I found this feature easier to use prior to August, 2019.

Roy W.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Edsby covers all the bases of what you would want on an easy to use platform

Reviewed on 26/9/2017

This software merges all platforms a teacher could use into one, easy to use, succinct tool.

Pros

The all-in-one functionality of Edsby is most helpful. Grade book, attendance, announcements, calendar, parent and student records/communication, seating plans, library of course material and bulletins for overarching course goals.

Cons

The Library does not serve me. I have to reupload my course material every time I teach the course, even if I'm teaching the same course twice in the same semester. I have to delete auto-posted files from the feed that end up in the library otherwise it will become quickly over-run, confusing and ineffective as a communicative tool.

Response from Edsby

Roy, you should contact the Edsby prime at your school or our support team at [email protected] - you can INDEED re-copy class libraries, and any curriculum you've developed in Edsby, from class to class. No need to reinvent the wheel every time.

Scott A.

Very useful but still has bugs

Reviewed on 16/11/2018

Overall Edsby is the most useful grading and school communication platform I have ever seen.  I really like how it is constantly changing as education changes. The live support chat is also impressive. Perhaps it would be useful if Edsby put out a series of tutorial videos for Teachers, Parents and Students to go over the features.

Pros

Edsby is very handy for grading and communicating with teachers, students and parents. It is essentially a social media platform that has been designed for a school community. I really like how functional the grade book is and how students can see their grades in realtime. The messaging and search features are also excellent and help keep everyone up to speed.

Cons

There are some bugs in some of the newer features like quizzes and polls.

John V.

Great way to communicate with students and parents

Reviewed on 9/11/2018

Edsby has been wonderful to work with. When we have had questions, they have been quick to answer or solve them. The Edsby feedback on the site is a great way to communicate with them.

Pros

Edsby does an incredible job of making it easy to allow students and parents to see what is happening in class as access documents from class while away from school. It is a great place for teachers to be able to record grades, conversations and observations, which is required by the ministry. It is very user friendly and allows for most of the school needs to be in one place.

Cons

The grade book is wonderful to have, however many of my staff would love to be able to print out individual documents to share with parents or an easy way to print out the grade book.

Bianca G.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Dear Edsby, I love you!

Reviewed on 9/11/2018

Pros

What I like most about Edsby is the ease of use for teachers and students. This year, I've been working to save time and money with limiting photocopies. By posting work on Edsby, the students can view the assignment without printing. The students can complete the assignments and submit it online without any additional system. This software works great and it is a great communication tool.

Cons

It is difficult to modify grades on a mobile device. In addition, I've request a gradebook filter so that teachers do not have to view the entire gradebook. It would be nice to have a filter for each grading period.

Candace T.

All in one

Reviewed on 9/11/2018

I have been using Edsby with my 3rd graders for 5 years now, and it keeps them engaged in learning, by allowing them to keep track of what they are doing in class at all times.

Pros

The best part about Edsby is all the amazing features it includes. You can store students grade and share them with students and parents, it's a means of collaboration space for the teacher, student, and parent to stay connected and up to date on student learning and progress. It also allows teachers to create test that can be assigned to students and the grade automatically populates in the grade book.

Cons

I have no complaints about this software it is awesome!!

Worst LMS I have used

Reviewed on 26/4/2020

Very poor.
If we were not required to use this for our school district we definitely would not

Pros

The ability to make online quizzes/tests that auto-grade and enter into the gradebook

Cons

Where to begin...
I'm amazed that any LMS software does not have an import/export feature for it's test bank.
I've had numerous times that multiple choice test questions had blank answers when the students took the test - although this should be 'impossible' since when MANUALLY typing in each question and answr choices, it will not let you save a blank answer.
When cross-posting assignments, some propagate when edited and some do not. But nothing on the entry screen tells which ones.
There is no way to enter in a test/quiz grade manually for students that require alternative testing methods - unless you change the online submission type to 'none' - which then deletes the info for all of the students that took the online test.
and there are NO UNDO options.
On many screens where an information bubble pops up - it remains there no matter what is clicked on and you have to reload the page to make it go away.
For assignments with a letter grade - there is no option to give a ZERO - and a U does not calculate in as a zero.
New pinned items go at the bottom when they should show at the top - or at least give an option without having to manually drag it.
Anytime I have opened a ticket with support - I either get no answer, an answer that is later contradicted when I ask for more detail, or a "working as designed" with absolutely no offer to consider that ALL of our teachers would logistically prefer a feature to function differently

Eric O.

Edsby LMS

Reviewed on 27/9/2019

Very positive. They are typically quick to respond to my requests and queries.

Pros

Edsby is a fantastic tool for educators. Unlike other Learning Management Systems (LMS), Edsby is easy to use and does a great job of integrating teachers, students, and parents into the ecosystem.

Cons

Sometimes Edsby pushes out incremental upgrades without warning and the results are often buggy.

Steve C.

It's been a great tool for our school community to keep all stakeholders engaged.

Reviewed on 29/4/2018

Pros

The ease of use. The ability for us to accomplish many things in one platform. We can keep our calendar, grades and report cards all in one place.

Cons

We need to add a few more features for it to meet our SIS needs. Although it's not an SIS, it is very close. If we could input items related to health cards, health information and a few more customizable inputs, it would help us even more.

Danielle A.

Makes school admin a breeze

Reviewed on 24/4/2018

It makes my job easier!

Pros

It's so easy to use when monitoring a school of 650 students and thousands of parents. It's also easy to explain to parents, some of whom do not have a lot of computer experience. It's user-friendly and effective.

Cons

I sometimes have a hard time searching student names. I'll type in a name that I know is there, but it won't pop up. Mostly it works great.

Don R.

Great investment and a robust tool. Easy to use for the social media savvy.

Reviewed on 26/9/2017

Significant increase in parental communications and, consequently, engagement. Happier teachers and academic staff re. attendance, gradebook, and report cards.

Pros

Easy navigation and addresses most pressing needs a school has regarding communications and tracking. Plays nice with Maplewood!

Cons

Customer support is almost always excellent...but there are times when responses have been slow or problems lingered.

Gina R.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Edsby Is Awesome for Parents with Unorganized Children or those who don't communicate well

Reviewed on 13/10/2016

I am very thankful for Edsby. I cannot tell you how many times I have gone on to take a look at my son's grades and been upset because of something he didn't turn in. Well thanks to the ease of use of Edsby, I could easily look up the assignment and print it out, along with the list of grades for each class to keep my son on top of his work and grades. Even in HS, it has proven to be a valuable tool as now he is at a stage in which he communicates as little as possible with me. It is fun to know his grades before I ask him. The program is fairly easy to use, but could be a bit harder for someone with no computer skills, but overall I love it!

Pros

Everything

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like about it.

Frances P.

Edsby Review

Reviewed on 28/5/2019

Communication opportunities greatly increased between staff and students

Pros

- Ease of use
- Offers lots of functionalities (attendance, filtering, report cards, groups, messaging)

Cons

- how it syncs with our database
- transcripts need fixing

Taylor T.

Great, all-encompassing tool for education!

Reviewed on 27/9/2017

I am able to be in the know with my colleagues and students (and, conversely, keep necessary individuals in the know from my end).

Pros

I like the sense of community and transparency that comes with the steady stream of information on a daily basis.

Cons

It's busy - there is a lot going on and it's not always fast to access what one needs to find. Results in a lot of clicking to get there.

Amy V.

I enjoy using Edsby to track curriculum expectations. It's great for online assessment.

Reviewed on 26/9/2017

Easier tracking of grades and curriculum.

Pros

Students really enjoyed the wall. They sent messages about home learning. We had some amazing sharing about plants that were started at school and continued to grow at home. I also loved being able to share files online. Saved on photocopying.

Cons

Wish it would send out notifications.
Wish it would sync with report card program.
Students are not able to easily put things in their portfolios the way they can in Seesaw.

Michelle H.

The software needs to work better on the mobile app.

Reviewed on 18/10/2017

Pros

The ability to review my child's grades at all times is very convenient. I also like being able to contact teachers from the mobile app.

Cons

The mobile app doesn't work as well as it could. PDF documents are not able to be viewed on the app. I also hav had issues sending messages to teachers. The interface will be off and you cannot see parts of the message. I have had to go to the main site at times to send messages since because the app doesn't work

John V.

Mostly quite good

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Pros

Designed with Ontario curriculum in mind which makes it more responsive to our local needs. It is user friendly and parents seem to enjoy the communication options. We like the group options as well as the attendance.

Cons

Still need to do some work with providing opportunity to effectively document learning skills. The software has become too expensive for smaller schools.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Complicated app to take attendence

Reviewed on 19/8/2018

Pros

Software allows you to take attendence, keep records od student marks, contact parents, and share files with parents.

Cons

You can share information with parents but the parents will need to have their own account. Limited functionality with the mobile app. Better suited to log in through a desktop or laptop. Software is highly complicated to use for me and I feel that it is complicated for parents to use as well.

Tina M.

Very helpful and useful to keep up on my child

Reviewed on 3/6/2015

I love the fact it keeps me up to date on my sons grade, plus his absents and tardies. Teachers need to be required to update grades daily. This is the only con or issue I have had with using it. Over all I like using it

Alexandra S.

Great communication resource

Reviewed on 13/10/2016

A great, convenient way to keep track of the student's progress. It can also facilitate communication among students, teachers and parents

Belkis Q.

Amazing

Reviewed on 3/6/2015

It keeps me updated with everything concerning the school and my son grades and assignments