1,655 reviews

Smartsheet

An online work execution platform for any size organization.

4.4 /5 (1655 reviews) Write a Review!

1,655 reviews
Andrea W.

Best thing since sliced bread

Reviewed on 14/7/2020

This software makes everything we do so streamlined and easy. We literally load all of our projects into smartsheet so that we can all manage them. I don't think that I could do my job as efficiently without it. There is s certain project we do once a year where we update pricing on all website items with all of our suppliers. Being able to keep this data in SS, then send our suppliers update requests to load in the data has been a life saver! Keeping track of work along with managing the project has become a breeze.

Pros

The thing I like the most is the transparency or the collaboration. To be able to easily see what others are doing and manage them together, set reminders and send update requests is what makes our company run well.

Cons

I think there have been a few times that we have maxed out on number of lines. I don't know why that there is a throttle there, but that's probably my only complaint is that some of our sheets get large and max out!

Carissa J.

Very robust collaboration tool

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

We have used Smartsheet for quite a few years to help manage projects, day-to-day items, operational calendars, and other items at our higher ed institution. This tool has been a tremendous help with making it easier to collaborate with other companies, as well as increase the efficiency with certain tasks among our department and other departments at our institution. Smartsheet is a very easy tool to learn and use and provides a great amount of functionality in one place to collaborate across groups. I would highly recommend this product to companies, large or small, if they have multiple projects that they need to manage frequently. The ROI for this product is good if you use it all of the time. If you don't, it can end up being an expensive tool for collaboration while there are many alternative competitors out there that may be a better option financially.

Pros

Smartsheet provides a very robust collaboration tool among teams and teams from other companies. The ability to show timelines, comments, attachments, and dates - all in one place - make it very easy to stay on track with projects. This tool also provides a very nice mobile and app platform to work off of while out on the go. We utilize the professional (paid) version to encompass all of the features that we need and are no longer offered in the free version, such as the ability to email directly from the sheet, send for updates, and utilize the reminder functions. Emailing directly from the sheet is a great feature since it allows you to send the comments, attachments, and info from the line all in one easy-to-read email. You can also cc yourself on the email so that you know that it was sent.

Cons

One of the things about Smartsheet that could be updated is the ability to copy info from one sheet and create a new sheet. For example, my team utilizes this tool for registration for certain programs at our university. The ability to copy the entire sheet (with all of the info and attachments) onto a new sheet and update the dates, or minimal information, would be a great function to have. The other option would be to allow more functionality in the free version (which was previously there). The update to only allowing email sends from a single line in the professional (paid) version now is a bit challenging when we only budgeted for a certain amount of licenses for the academic year (and we all know how stingy higher ed budgets are right now)

Cecilia G.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Awesome software

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

I love Smarsheet because it made my work easier. Now I can have collaboration from my entire company and get fast results.

Pros

-easy to use and costumize
-more than one user can modify simultaneously
-you can add your company's logo
-you can set group and individual reminders
- Cell history, which can tell who and when it was modified.
-different views: calendar, grid, card, and Gantt

Cons

- not all reminders can be set with time to remind
- can't add a conditional formatting based on time
- if your Smartsheet is big, formulas added can take forever to update the information, so you need to refresh it all times, even if you change settings to save automatically.

Rick F.

Excellent alternative to traditional spreadsheets and project management tools and processes

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

We use it for all project implementations to manage collaboration with our clients - project plans, decision logs, issue logs, contact lists, action item lists, document sharing, etc. We also use it internally for similar activities. I even use it on my team for very efficient weekly status reporting. We even link it to JIRA for automatically syncing sheets and reports to that system for managing product releases and product support. We love it!!!

Pros

Very easy to learn and get users onboard quickly. Works much like Excel yet with much more document sharing functionality and the notifications service is most beneficial to us. Very cost efficient in that our clients don't need to purchase a license so we use this to collaborate with them for our project work.

Cons

Very little not to like. Advanced functionality we need to not alwasys there, however, Smartsheet comes out with new features a few times a year and they always very helpful. Biggest complaint is that we have not yet figured out how to provide users edit access to a group and yet limit certain sheets within that group to viewer only. Would also like to see more options for backups and restores.

• Industry: Philanthropy
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Smartsheet - Functionality and Communities make this an indispensable application

Reviewed on 1/2/2019

Overall, my experience with Smartsheet has been wonderful. The extremely active Community has made all the difference in the world, answering questions within an hour or two. The staff are also active in the Community and you can see their passion for the application and truly helping their customers. Smartsheet is highly worth the investment.

Pros

Smartsheet has so much going for it. It truly fits the new technological world that we live in by providing more than just the basics. Being a cloud-based application (SaaS), and compatible with mobile devices, makes it more functional across the board. It mostly touts itself as a project management tool, which is very true. Most project managers utilize certain applications that require the project to be saved down to a file, which is not easily shareable. Smartsheet can handle the same project management tools and live in cyberspace that can be utilized by numerous people, which different levels of access (viewing, editing, administering) and different views (tasks, gantt, kanban, etc.), and allow people to make comments, add attachments, and more. The most use I have made of Smartsheet within my organization is using it like a spreadsheet. I'm able to have numerous sheets for different departments where they have access to only their own sheets and update only what they need to update. Then I can create a new sheet that combines information from all of the sheets that will auto-update from the original sheets. I can also create reports and dashboards (with charts, metrics, etc.) based on information from all the different sheets. It's quite functional and utilizes much of the same fundamental logic that Excel provides. The Smartsheet website has an extremely detailed (and searchable) Help section and very active Community. Even includes videos to help guide!

Cons

Smartsheet does have some limitations. Most specifically, it isn't Excel and it isn't Project, so users shouldn't expect it to do everything those applications can do. However, there are times when it seems obvious that a particular functionality should be included that isn't. With that said, Smartsheet does a great job of listening to the Community and is constantly improving the application with enhancements to help the Community with its most voted on requests. Another thing that is frustrating is when an error pops up. More often than not, the error is written in a way that doesn't tell the user how to fix the error. Again, when this happens, I just reach out to the Community and get the answers I need.

Nathan R.
  • Industry: Investment Management

Smartsheet is the Project Management Software of Choice

Reviewed on 19/7/2020

I am planning projects, collaborating on large scale projects, and even managing our sales pipeline across eight separate sheets. We roll up our data into dashboards and are using some of the automation features; however, we could do so much more on that front.

Pros

Smartsheet is like Excel on steroids. It is a very powerful, yet simple to use software. It is easy for team members, regardless of whether they are paid subscribers, to easily collaborate on projects.

Cons

There are some specific project management tools that I would personally like to see implemented in this software that would give it an edge over other programs. However, these would affect the functionality very little and would be more bells and whistles.

Damon B.

Lots of power

Reviewed on 29/12/2019

Pros

I use it mostly for project plans and it's great for that. I like that I can share via a link to anyone and they don' have to have a SmartSheet account, and they can even make edits if I allow them.

Cons

I'm the admin and when one of my users leaves, you can only migrate their project plans to a single user. I wish I could pick some plans to go to person A, some to person B, and so on.

Paul K.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Smartsheet - It started out small...

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

The experience - honestly, was shocking! Two of us started using the system after looking at many others. We found our customers liked seeing updates "live" as a great benefit. We, the two of us, started to show people how to use it and what it could do and the result was phenomenal. New uses seem to pop up every day! It has solved MANY problems we struggled with in the past!

Pros

Flexibility and ease of customization! We started using this tool strictly as a project management tool due to a need for our customers to be notified of progress or changes at any time. Once we established our use of Smartsheet as our go to project management tool, we started using it's notification and feedback capability to many other "things" that needed the same type of functionality. We now use the request functionality to track quote requests, requests for lab work, etc. We also use it to track time sensitive items like calibration schedules, maintenance schedules, etc. It's become our default answer to problems - "Can we do something in Smartsheet...?"

Cons

The only thing I would like to see improved is the ability to archive things - like schedules so we could quickly "archive" a completed item.

Sabharish K.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

More than a task tracking software, great templates and interactive dashboard capabilities!

Reviewed on 8/11/2020

Overall experience with Smartsheet has been great especially the training material offered for free on how to use the software is time well spent. Project charters, change management implementation plans, RACI matrix, project roadmaps, hits/misses, success metrics tracking, allocating resources efficiently to the top priority projects, managing risks within projects, milestone tracking, sponsor roadmaps etc makes it an all-in-one package.

Pros

Ease of use, online accessibility and sharing capability, simple to use, reporting capabilities, excellent training resources, easy UI, great for collaboration, resource allocation and tracking, customization for specific needs, cell linking, report generations, DASHBOARDS, forms/surveys, gantt/card/calendar views, critical path, data organization and controlling visibility. Recently, they also rolled out a 10,000 foot view which gives you a high-level snapshot of project status and you can keep drilling down as much as you like.

Cons

Cannot adjust row height, parent/child relationship at the sub-task level is not possible, cannot multi-select items in a list, more Excel type formulas and data analysis capability, more selection of templates, reordering favorites (priority), integrations with more applications. The visualization capabilities are slightly weak and hard to understand. It needs to be simplified a bit more.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Easy to Use for a variety of Users

Reviewed on 24/7/2019

I have used this product for over a year, and I am constantly learning new things and how to improve our processes and projects. I love that Smartsheet is constantly updating and they do have a very useful user community for solving problems via their forums and videos.

Pros

I like that they developed it to resemble traditional spreadsheet programs. This makes introducing the concepts to those with less experience using software. I find that when I show users how similar it is to other products they use, they are more willing to test and try the software. In addition, you aren't just getting a "smart" spreadsheet, the card view and gantt view make explaining timelines and projects much easier. I love seeing the look on new users faces when they realize the potential.

Cons

The automation tools are great, and the workflows you can develop can be very useful. However, there are times when their automation goes down and the company is not quick to respond to users on this. I have had instances where my alerts or notifications never get sent, and I am none the wiser. This has led to some skepticism by users on the viability of the product.

Happy to See Timely Updates

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

Overall, Smartsheet has been an excellent solution for our organization thus far.

Pros

The frequent and useful updates to the software are great.

Cons

The price increases and limiting of functionality for free users.

Wandajean J.

The Love of My Work Life

Reviewed on 13/1/2019

Smartsheet has empowered our virtual teams to SEE each other and our work. We respond at the speed of business with ALERTS and workflows. We don't need to recreate plans (the wheel) because once we make a great plan, we can duplicate it and share it with ease. I'm SO in love with this product!

Pros

Smartsheet is everything. Knowing the features and functionality help me dream up new and exciting ways to gain all sorts of productivity gains at work. The collaboration features are out of this world. My work is so fast paced, I cannot afford to revert to manual ways of doing work. The interface is super intuitive, the training resources and 2nd to none (serious, most companies like this sell you training...Smartsheet WANTS to set you up for success). My Customer Success Manager has always been in the thick of it with us! She is committed to making sure we ALL win!

Cons

Smartsheet is configured at the enterprise IT Level for our company. I have often wished that some of its AMAZING out-of-the-box features were available to our team. This is not a fault of Smartsheet though...just my personal wish :)

Lyndley C.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Increased efficiency

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

Pros

We were previously using shared Excel files to track tasks and due dates, but due to multiple users, we would frequently have to recreate the files after they would crash. Smartsheet solved this issue. We no longer have to recreate the sheets, even month to month. Everyone can work in the sheet at the same time, due date tracking is much easier, and we can clearly see what tasks still need to be completed before moving on to later steps.

Cons

There is not much we haven't been able to do with the software and do not have any complaints at this time. However, we are fairly limited in how we use the software and do not currently have a need to expand to additional uses.

Adam R.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Smartsheet Review

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

We use smartsheets in every department and inter departmentally. It has made managing the large amounts of data that are now required to run a business both eternally and externally a breeze.

Pros

Smartsheet has played an integral role in our growth over the past 8 years. The software has evolved into something that we use in all aspects of our operations and across all departments. The ease of use has allowed us to develop it into a software that we can use for daily project management and tracking, several human resources functions, fleet management, budget development and tracking, inventory management, and much more. The collaboration functions allow us to keep up with real time project data and share that not only with the executive team, but also the customers. While there are several tools similar to smartsheet out there, we feel like there is real value in this project and it is the only one that we use and recommend to others.

Cons

If there is a downside to Smartsheets we have not found it.

Viviane I.

Great collaboration tool!

Reviewed on 14/7/2020

I love the fact that this tool allows me to make data available anytime/anywhere and have multiple people to collaborate at the same time.
We have also used this tool a lot to automate internal approval processes.

Pros

Great tool for data collaboration, automated workflows, data load mapping, and the use of forms for data collection.

Cons

Lack of features available in forms and the lack of the ability to group columns and create tabs as we do in Excel

Brad J.

It works, people like it, and it's easy to use.

Reviewed on 3/10/2016

My company uses Smartsheet for project tracking of multi-year projects across several continents, time zones, and team functionalities. I've been using the product for about nine months, and even while I feel like I understand it well and am reaching the productivity I seek, I still keep learning more features that it has to offer. So far it has been really great for us, as it allows so many options for you, but does not require that you have to wade through them all just to get a simple task done. So many platforms offer crazy amounts of features and KPIs, of which 80% go unused, but in order to do what you want you have to go through menu after menu after menu (cough SAP cough).
The simple Excel-style interface is what really makes the difference for our teams. They see something that looks familiar, and they feel more comfortable with it. It's easy for them to enter data (just like Excel), and the learning curve is gentle. Most of my teams got up and running in about a week, and that's really something!
It's quickly becoming the go-to tool for so many of the old things we used to manage through Excel and Outlook. The best part is that the features are not "in the way" of your working. If you need task management, project management, log books, alerts, etc. this tool can do it. And, because it's so easy to share and publish, teams can work with others quickly, easily, and with a nice record of who did what. That's one of my favorite features about it. Each cell has a history that you can view, so you can see all the changes, who made them, and at what time. It's a really powerful feature.
And, to cap it off, the support team is really great. They're putting out developments all the time, and actively seek feedback from their community for said developments.
I would recommend to anyone who wants to have an all in one work collaboration platform that's easy for their team to use, unless you want each team member to spend 9 months studying the platform before they can do even the most basic functions.

Almost forgot the price. This software costs a fraction of what other software costs. We have close to 260 people using the platform, editing and viewing the sheets. Yet, we pay less for the YEARLY Smartsheet Team Plan than we pay to another software company so that one single user can have access for 6 months, and many of the features between the two are duplicated.

Quang L.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Smartsheet helps organize our production

Reviewed on 14/7/2020

Smartsheet helps me track customer orders and delivery schedules easily. These tasks are cumbersome do do in SAP. It is very easy to set up multiple sheets to track different schedules, orders, tasks, parts, anything.

Pros

Ability to link with other fields and sheets, conditional formatting, does not require a license to use, workflow automation, can create filters for data, create groups to share, limit what to share, multiple people can make updates simultaneously, able to import/export from/to Excel.

Cons

No ability to set default values, no ability to check for duplicate data.

John T.

Utility knife of software

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

Smartsheet has enabled us to keep all of our projects, employee information, finance and a myriad of other business functions all in one place. I know there are a ton of automation that we haven't even implemented at this point but intend to to help streamline processes.

Pros

Easy to use, collaboration functions, flexible for a variety of functions from project management to finance.

Cons

All of our team used to be able to send an email right from Smartsheet, but the recent changes restrict that function to the paid users only.

A Souped Up, Cloud-Based Spreadsheet Platform

Reviewed on 4/3/2021

SmartSheet has given me an in-depth platform to manage a significant trove of data, and give specific limited access to a variety of users across our organization. So far, SmartSheet has proved to be worth the cost for our users (and there's still a variety of features that we still haven't utilized yet!).

Pros

At face value, SmartSheet is an Excel look-alike that has many of the same features found in Microsoft Office's suite. Upon diving a little deeper, though, you can find a robust collaboration platform that allows users to stay involved with the organization and products, all while keeping a similar vernacular of Excel functions for users who are familiar with that program.

Cons

SmartSheet can be a tad pricy, especially when many organizations offer employees access to Office365 for free. With that said, the cloud-based, collaborative opportunities with SmartSheet are pretty unique, and I haven't been able to find a way to recreate them in Excel (and I've tried!).

Lauren V.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Easiest Project Managment Software you will Find.

Reviewed on 24/9/2019

It has been a very good relationship. Their reps are very responsive. Their help tutorials are amazing. We considered a more extensive product and put it into a test mode for about a year, but it was so difficult and cumbersome to use that we went right back to Smartsheet.

Pros

I like that any one can use Smartsheet with very little instruction. We do use it for most all of our projects. It has more extensive usages for tracking production and sales as well, but in our industry we are mostly project based. it's so intuitive and in real time. It has really turned around our accountability.

Cons

They do keep reducing the capabilities of the user so that we have to add paid users more frequently, but I get it. They don't hide it and keep you well informed. Even with this it is still the least expensive product that we have used and gives us more than we need to manage our projects and initiatives.

Michael J.

I love Smartsheet

Reviewed on 17/11/2020

While as an overarching company, my employer does not use Smartsheet, I have continued to use it personally on my projects to track progress in simple to update, easy to baseline format. I have used Smartsheet in this fashion for years -- its a much needed tool to keep you my back pocket.

Pros

What I think that Smartsheet really does well is how easy it is to use it. It is very similar in function to Excel, but has a lot of the important features that you need to baseline and track a project of any size. Its a welcome deter from the intensity of other PM software like Microsoft Project, without losing essential functionality.

Cons

Smartsheet is very simple to use - but because of some of that scaled back UI, there is some lost functionality. Some of the tricks and maneuvers you have to pull for things like conditional formatting or cell types can be a bit off-putting. It's also sometimes difficult to tell where user error plays a role in mathematic mistakes. I'd like to see more effort put into these areas.

Shelby W.

Customizable for all needs!

Reviewed on 14/7/2020

Great! I've enjoyed learning Smartsheet and implementing it into my daily routine. Smartsheet has helped me to receive a promotion at work.

Pros

Smartsheet's training programs help onboard anyone to begin customizing their own solutions for their work.

Cons

Solving formulas is difficult and time-consuming - this could just be a user error though :)

Julie B.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Smartsheet keeps getting smarter

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

We create a Workspace and add Smartsheets for each of our clients as a way of tracking what is happening with their account, keep them on schedules and send reminders. Being able to view the sheets from all devices makes it easy for everyone to use.

Pros

We have used Smartsheet for several years now and the new features that are always being added seem to make Smartsheet help us be more productive. Using Smartsheets for everything to gather RSVPs for events for our clients, keep on track for projects and send out alerts when something changes. I have even embedded a Smartsheet online to update inventory in real time. They are very easy to use. When using Smartsheets for a client to collect RSVPs for an event, we can brand with their logo.

Cons

Sometimes some of the features are hard to grasp or are not featured with our plan.

Mark K.

Getting more done and having fun doing it

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

SmartSheet has always been very receptive to product suggestions and very responsive to support requests.

Pros

Smartsheet is versatile. Yes you can do SpreadSheet things, but it so much more. Highlighting cells with color based on statuses of other cells. Row specific comments. Ability to see history per cell and row holds people accountable. KanBan cards effective in work progress and productivity. Sharing single rows with outside vendors to get status updates.

Cons

I can't think of anything. the updates are done on off hours and have never impacted our use of the application.

Chad G.
  • Industry: Machinery

Most Versatile Software Ever

Reviewed on 9/2/2021

We use this software for about everything now. Love it.

Pros

Love this is cloud-based, you can make forms have thousands of lines on a single sheet and some of the automation features.

Cons

Sometimes building formulas are tricky and seem to break over time. For instance, adding a value by year