AbacusLaw

3.8/5 (240 reviews)
Tera M.

AbacusLaw User

Reviewed on 23/1/2019

This program has been very user friendly. Info is easy to add or delete from a file in this program. It keeps issues very organized. Tabs can be customized to your firm.

Pros

This software allows us to keep our client's files organized. We can tailor this program to what we need in our client's files based on what out firm does, and/or what type of case it is. We can keep up with our calendars and everyone can log in from wherever they are and see the daily organizer for all or individuals. It allows us to keep notes in files, monitors for conflicts, and is very useful for setting ticklers to use as reminders. I find it very useful that it keeps up with all the players and their info under "linked names". Also keeps up w/ events, docs, & emails in one place.

Cons

If things are moved on the main drive, it breaks the links in abacus and they are no longer able to be found or traced if whomever moves the doc or breaks the link doesn't make a new one at that time.

Amanda S.
Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use and customize, terrible customer support

Reviewed on 5/4/2019

I've enjoyed using Abacus for many years. I used the cloud based option which was really great aside from the cost for storage space and it's limitations. I'm not crazy about their support team, but it wasn't a huge problem because it usually worked fine on it own. There are limits to the reporting, but they are also very customizable within those limits. Creating custom mail merge documents is a breeze.

Pros

I like the ease of making documents and templates with Abacus. It is very customizable and easy to use. I like having the matters and names databases and being able to cross reference cases with people. The reporting is good, but could use some work so that you can pull reports from 2 different databases at once (i.e. the addresses of all of the clients or providers for all active matters).

Cons

The draw back with Abacus is that it doesn't give you check lists or ways to case manage very well. It's easy to use and customize, which is good, because their customer services is slow and not great.

Response from AbacusNext

Dear Amanda,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. At AbacusNext, providing excellent products is very important to us, so it's good to hear we're delivering on that promise.

I'm sorry our client service hasn't met your expectations; please feel free to get in touch with me if I can help.

On behalf of all of us at AbacusNext, thank you for your patronage. We look forward to being of service for many years to come.

All the best,

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Schawnne K.

The Best Legal Software

Reviewed on 23/1/2020

Our intention was to keep our law project as paperless as we could and AbacusLaw plays a big part in allowing us to achieve this goal.

Pros

What I like most about AbacusLaw is how user-friendly it is and how we were able to use it to keep the project organized on a daily basis. It is a complete package.

Cons

I think I liked everything about AbacusLaw. I cannot think of any problem that I had with the software.

Response from AbacusNext

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review, Schawnne. We're glad AbacusLaw has helped your organization meet its goal of going paperless, and that you've found the product easy to use.

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and the Capterra community!

All the best,
The team at AbacusNext

Norm K.

Problems with Support

Reviewed on 15/2/2019

Three of four years ago, I would have given five stars on all categories. Things have changed. In addition, the new owners increased annual license fees 40% last year.

Pros

It is a comprehensive software product for a law office, with case management, document management and billing. Our firm has been using it for 12 years.

Cons

The original founder of Abacus had very high standards. Tech support was very good. You could always connect quickly with a knowledgeable tech support specialist. In addition, for the first 7 or 8 years we used it, it was virtually bullet proof. It rarely, if ever, had a crash or issue of any kind. In more recent versions, you started to see more crashes or technical problems. But, at least the support was good when needed. The founder sold the company a couple of years ago. They acquired Amicus, several other products and most recently HotDocs. The quality of their tech support has significantly deteriorated. For example, we had a crash using the billing component, with a window that popped up with an error code this morning at roughly 9:00 a.m. Called tech support, was on hold for ten minutes, then prompted to leave a message. Left message at 9:10 a.m. this morning. In fact, both I and the user of the workstation left messages. It is 3:15 p.m. and Abacus has not called back.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Dorean B.

User Friendly Lots of Features

Reviewed on 23/5/2019

This software allows me to keep my case files very organized. I love that I can just go to a particular file and all activity associated with the file is located in One place. I don't have to waste time searching different places for information. I definitely love that it is user friendly. When I am training new employees on this software they pick it up fast and it makes them very efficient at getting tasks done.

Pros

It is very user friendly; I love the Icons; It is very versatile; Keeps case files organized

Cons

For some reason it doesn't allow me to attach my emails to the documents. But that may be an operator error.

Response from AbacusNext

Dear Dorean,

Thank you for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. We're so glad you find it versatile and easy to use.

Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to being of service for many years to come!

Joseph T.

Stay away from anything having to do with Abacuslaw or Abacus Private Cloud

Reviewed on 18/12/2019

AbacusLaw and Abacus Private Cloud, which is AbacusLaw on a shared cloud, break down all the time. It was as though the company let monkeys into their server room at night because, while an issue may be fixed one day, it or another, or multiple other issues would pop up the next morning. I can't tell you how many times abacus simply went down right when I needed it most - in the middle of a murder trial for instance! The entire system would crash for days. Yes, the support staff was great but their management and the product itself may as well be the result of demons hellbent on destroying anything productive that you mean to do in your business.

Pros

I needed a solution so I could link emails to certain case files. Also, the fact that all attorneys could access any other person's notes on a case was attractive.

Cons

The software looks and feels like it is straight out of 2002, if not right after Microsoft went WYSIWYG. It's about as clunky as software was in the early 00's as well although it probably isn't as efficient as software was back then.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Vicki C.
Industry: Accounting

Solid Product

Reviewed on 1/8/2019

I really like Abacus. They've been 100% there when I've had any type of issue. Speedy resolution. Great customer service.

Pros

The support team is fantastic. I was new to this software (or any type of law software) and received no training. They have been wonderful any time I've had any type of question.

Cons

There have been a few glitches that needed software updates. But the support team is always available and resolve any issues quickly.

Response from AbacusNext

Dear Vicki,

Thank you for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. At AbacusNext, client service is very important to us. It's good to hear our support team has been able to help any time you've had a question and has resolved issues quickly.

Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to being of service for many years to come.

Warmly,

Straightforward legal calendaring software

Reviewed on 3/5/2019

Pros

Simple calendaring software, which is all I need to schedule upcoming hearings and deadlines. I don't really use the bells and whistles beyond that.

Cons

No real cons. My use isn't that in depth, but it works well for the simple calendaring that I use it for.

Response from AbacusNext

To our valued client,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. It's very important to us to create a good user experience for our end users, so we're glad to hear we're delivering on that promise.

Thank you for your patronage. We look forward to being of service for many years to come.

Brad W.
Industry: Law Practice

Great software for large firms

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 23/6/2019

Pros

I liked that Abacus has deep roots in law. When trialing this software, it is easy to see that they have covered all bases.

Cons

Abacus isn't a cloud based solution - Although to be fair - they mentioned they have cloud based tools and are working on more.

Response from AbacusNext

Dear Brad,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. We're so glad you feel this software suits your needs. Indeed, AbacusLaw was our first product, and we're excited to continue its development in the future.

Currently, AbacusLaw is compatible with the Abacus Private Cloud. I wanted to clarify this point to ensure you're making the most of your investment. Using AbacusLaw within the Abacus Private Cloud helps you manage your practice with the full security and mobility of a cloud environment.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions!

Ford J.

Meh Legal Billing Software

Reviewed on 10/2/2020

Allows us to keep track of legal billing, send itemized report and process payments.

Pros

Utilized Abacus as my firm's previous billing software and made keeping track of time billed rather easy.

Cons

Utilized Abacus when I first started with my current firm and found it to be lacking in user features and ease of use. I personally much prefer Cosmolex as an alternative.

Response from AbacusNext

Hi Ford,
Thank you for your review! We're glad to hear that AbacusLaw made it easy for your firm to track billable hours and process payments, and we appreciate your feedback regarding features and ease of use. Our records show that you cancelled in 2017--we encourage you to see what's new in the latest version of AbacusLaw, which includes robust billing features and integration with our document automation tool, HotDocs. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-726-3339 to learn more.

For future reference, you can also request and upvote potential features from within the product. Just click on the speaker icon on the toolbar of the AbacusLaw home screen or go directly to abacuslaw.featureupvote.com.

Thanks again; your feedback helps us continually improve our product offerings.

Sincerely,
The team at AbacusNext

Tami F.
Industry: Law Practice

Have a law office? you need ABACUS!

Reviewed on 21/9/2018

I feel that if you are an attorney, or work for one, you need AbacusLaw. They have pre-created tasks that you can begin with, or you can create your own specific guidelines for whatever type of law you practice. I had created a timeline that was "to-the-day" for bankruptcy documents to be filed in the Federal Court, and other tasks with clients to complete and file in a timely manner- it was a well-oiled timeline! If somebody practices family law, ie: divorces, child custody, child support- you could create a timeline to file documents as required. Personal Injury attorney or Estate Planning- Criminal law, so many options - Abacus is the program (tool) that helped me to get my jobs done, on time!

Pros

I have worked for two separate law offices since 1998. My first time using Abacus in 1998 (we call her "ABBY") I felt a little overwhelmed- but as I learned HOW the system worked- I LOVED it! I rely on ABBY for everything! I like knowing WHERE the client's file is, whether it is on someone's desk or in the attorney's briefcase, or tucked away in the filing cabinet- it saves time when searching a large or even small office for a file- just click on the client's Matter and look for "LOCATION" and BAM! it tells me the last entered location! ABBY keeps track of notes, events, tasks/to-do's, court hearings, appointments- anything that is important to your office. When a client comes in to the office or calls, I can easily pull up ABBY and see what notes or tasks that others have placed in the system for that client, then I can easily help the client do what they need to do, like print out documents for them to sign - or maybe collect a payment for something- I can help the client without having to pull others away from what they are doing. I have found ABBY to be an AWESOME TOOL for the law office- ABBY is right up there with the scanner, copier and telephone! Cannot run a business without any of those!!

Cons

the ONLY 'bad' thing, is if the HUMAN does not enter their tasks or to-do's, or utilize ABBY as intended. ABBY is like a car, she is not going to go anywhere unless you put the tasks, to-do's, hearings, location of a file, etc. in her. Train the employees to utilize ABBY for your office's needs, and there will be no 'negative' anything regarding ABACUS.

Eric S.
Industry: Legal Services

We have relied on this software as one of our primary organizational tools for over five years.

Reviewed on 1/4/2018

It is a mostly comprehensive business-management tool

Pros

The Abacus software, now on Abacus Private Cloud, almost always is functioning properly, and is accessible from anywhere, anytime. After our experience, we would now not use anything that is not cloud-based, particularly being in a city highly prone to power-outages, floods, and hurricanes.
We have found the software to steadily improve in features and speed. The customer service is the best I have experienced very particularly in the software industry. The techs are all very knowledgeable and carefully resolve every inquiry. They are also available very quickly, an absolute anomaly in the software business.
The calendering component, as others have observed, is a key strong-point. The linking in of all events, documents, e-mails, and notes into one accessible electronic folder provides the convenient efficiency that you will frequently use.
It is possible to scan documents directly to the cloud case file from your local computer - an important step-saver.
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, when installed, functions on the APC desktop.
You will need reasonably strong, consistent Internet connections. Airport terminals are mostly unusable work locations even with a "jet-pack" or cell-phone "hot-spot."

Cons

This is a powerful software tool. As such, except for the calendar, it is not a "plug & play" system, except for the most computer-fluent users. To fully utilize its comprehensive features will take a commitment to initial as well as ongoing learning while taking the daily, time-consuming steps to precisely link all activities back to the case file. However, the added work will and must obviate the paper file.
The queries, forms, and reports functions are all very valuable but are far too complex to user-initiate, and each requires ongoing custom installation by the provider.
Cost-effective file collaboration with outsiders is not possible, therefore an added cloud account and the expense is required along with the time of copying and moving sizeable files.
Changing accounting from existing into the integrated system is a major transition to be carefully evaluated in advance. Maintaining the current accounting system, at least temporarily, will be required.
This software must be your primary organizational tool as it will grow into a weighted expense that is justifiable only if it is the key resource.
The software does crash daily when trying to interact with Outlook for file linking of e-mails. It can usually be resolved with a quick re-start.
Initiating printing is quite slow and getting slower but understandable with a remote server.
Microsoft Office, Adobe Pro, and Reallegal depo transcription all work very well here. Some other applications do not at all.

Vanya T.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

AbacusLaw is the heart of my practice.

Reviewed on 26/7/2016

I have been an AbacusLaw customer since 1998. I believe I was the first accountant to try and adapt your matters based program to a client based usage. We spent many hours adapting your improvements every year to insure that I could continue to manage my accounting practice through your program. It was a challenge, but the results are well worth it. I have a data file that has a record of every appointment, every phone call, what IRS agent is assigned to what case, etc., since 1998, for over 5500 tax clients.I have a record of every bill sent to our business clients since we started using Abacus Accounting to manage our receivables. I believe so strongly in this program that, when I joined H&R Block 3 years ago, I demanded a clause allowing me to put this program on their computers. After investigating your program, their tech team recommended that the clause is allowed in my contract, a very rare concession by H&R Block. They have since designed a program for appointments, which is free, and which I am required to use. So we make our appointments in AbacusLaw first then input them into the AM. It takes a little more time but it is worth it. When a client says they have not heard from us, I print out the Abacus record of contact, showing the date and time calls were made and what messages were left. It immediately tames the angry beast and I usually get an apology. This program is the heart of my business. I would be lost without it.

Pros

Their support is absolutely the best. In the very unusual event that I need support, they always remember me, are friendly and super knowledgeable. Usually I am asking for a workaround to make their program do something it isn't designed to do. They could just impress me off, but they really try to make it work the way I need it, and they usually find a way. Having client info at my fingertips makes me look very efficient and very competent.

Barzin S.
Company size: Self Employed

Affordable; complete; intuitive

Reviewed on 28/6/2017

This software allows me to run my small law firm without having to hire full time assistants and automates about 80% of my administrative tasks.

Pros

1. Affordable: Having purchased similar software years ago and having paid an amount for it, I knew that the cost of a new firm management software that handled both front office and back office matters was going to be a major obstacle for me. Particularly if I wanted the software to be resident on my computer as opposed to web-based. But, with the monthly payment plan that Abacuslaw offers, it was very easy to sign up.
2. Complete management solution. There are very few programs around that offer both a full management software and a full accounting software to attorneys. Most of the software out there offers a billing component, but not a full accounting solution. With Abacuslaw, I can have both for the same price. I don't have to have another accounting software like QuickBooks pro to handle the accounting of my office.
3. The software is very easy to use. Most of the time, I can figure things out by myself without much training. But, to the extent I need training, I can find videos on YouTube or worst case scenario, I can sign up for their affordable one on one instructions.
4. Really good support staff: My questions or problems are usually answered and resolved on the same call into the office. Very responsive and knowledgeable support staff and extremely cooperative and helpful.
5. I've done lots of research. Not too many companies with the same level of service and features for the same price. Highly recommend it.

Cons

1. Glitches. While support staff is very responsive, the number of glitches is at times distracting. I would say that I average about maybe one glitch every three months or so. But it is dealt with very soon.
2. Data migration: The only major problem I had with Abacus law was their data migration. I was migrating from Amicus online and they could not transfer my data. Finally, the only thing they were able to migrate was my case information. I had to reenter my financial data myself. My suggestion is to make sure that they understand what format you are migrating from and get a firm commitment from them that they can handle the migration without problems.
In the end, though, the drawbacks are so small, compared to the benefits that the minor complaints I have don't even register.

Devan B.

Excellent Technical Support

Reviewed on 13/6/2017

Does just about everything I need to for law firm practice management, once I've tinkered with it enough.

Pros

Because I am a power user, I am able to make it do everything I want . There is not any other PM software out there that is as customizable. However, that comes with a cost in usability (more on that below).

However, I have had excellent technical support. I had an issue that I could not solve on my own. I called CS and, although they were not able to resolve it in that session, I was impressed with the thoroughness of the work and the help offered. They went above and beyond to to try to ID the issue. After tinkering around more, I called back with more info and was connected to another tech who was able to resolve the issue. Both had excellent professionalism and telephone demeanor.

I was very impressed by these two experiences and with the quality of the technicians. This was much better service than I expected and there are only a few companies who have provided this quality of support.

Cons

There is a cost to customizability. That is that it can be quite difficult for a non-computer-guy to set up beyond basic calendaring and contact tracking. The workflow and database relationships are not particularly intuitive. Even simple things like creating a search query take more computer knowledge than most attorney will have. Setting up reports or calendar rules is extremely user-unfriendly. Without my computer background I could never have done it.

Because I'm a power user, I can adapt it to meet all of our needs. But out-of-the-box, it's a little too generic to be really useful for most attorneys, even with the "Special Editions." The attorney who referred me to Abacus uses it as nothing more than a calendar and client contacts and it's too expensive to use it that way.

Judd A.

More Love/ less hate relationship

Reviewed on 21/9/2018

My law practice is totally integrated with Abacus so my overall experience is positive. I think the next big thing that Abacus can do is better is connect with clerk of court's e-portal websites. Electronic filing of documents is now standard practice. I hope abacus starts improving its software to allow electronic filing directly from the program so that it will be just as easy as printing a letter.

Pros

I have been using Abacus Law for over 15 years. I have seen only steady improvement in this superior case management program. Technical assistance is usually good and sometimes superior. Sometimes it can be less than satisfactory but that is rare. I have used this program as a sole practitioner and in a firm with six attorneys plus staff. The program is designed to ramp up or down as needed. I have thousands of contacts, hundreds of forms and I rely on this program to handle my case notes,appointments, forms, documents, emails and bills. Like any case management program the "garbage in garbage out" rule still applies but if a practitioner and staff follows the rules they set up for using the program- then it becomes an indispensable tool. I cannot run my office without it.

Cons

When something goes wrong it can be aggravating. Because sometimes either the lawyer or staff have to spend a good deal of time resolving the problem with the Abacus technician. The one excuse that I don't like to hear from tech support is "that's an outlook issue or that's a windows issue or we have not updated our software to work with that yet."

Kayle S.
Industry: Law Practice

Support is nothing short of phenomenal! We switched from Amicus to Abacus and are very happy.

Reviewed on 20/6/2017

We did the switch because of the buy-out of amicus but have been very happy with the change. We are doing everything through the cloud and it has been seemless.

Pros

Probably the most is the support. I put off my first support call for a long time--waited until I had a good chunk of time because I assumed I would be on hold forever. Not the case. The person that answered the phone (no hold time) was the person that solved my problem with ease. They explained what they were doing so that I could handle the next time if there was a next time and they haven't treated anyone in our office like they were dumb--even when they had no idea what they were doing. This has been the case each time we have called support. The transition, once all of our data was converted went smoothly and even our limited computer users had little problems from day one.

Cons

The least are probably things that I just don't understand how to do yet. We have only been using the software since January, so I try to spend a little time weekly learning a new aspect of the program. The one thing I wish it would do that amicus did, was in events, I could schedule events that would be added in once another even was completed. In abacus I can set dates out in advance, but they are not contingent on when something was completed. Hope that is something they are looking at for future upgrades. That is probably the only thing I miss from amicus.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Kayle,

We are tremendously glad to hear that the transition has been a good one! To take a deeper dive into the features of AbacusLaw, we recommend joining our weekly half hour "Free Training Friday" webinars. You are also more than welcome to contact our support team at any time who will be more than happy to impart some tips so you can fully take advantage of our software.

Watch past webinars and register for future ones here: https://www.abacusnext.com/webinars

Best, AbacusNext

James F.

ABACUS PRIVATE CLOUD - A GREAT COMPUTING PLATFORM FOR LAWYERS!!

Reviewed on 4/12/2015

For the last 20 months my entire law office has been run on Abacus Private Cloud. It has worked flawlessly, with great, responsive, USA-based tech support (for set up issues and as needed thereafter).

APC enabled me to put my entire law office into a private cloud environment, in an industrial data center custom-built solely for this purpose, dedicated to the legal profession, and managed by top-notch professionals in the data center industry; this is something I could never have achieved on my own, or through another vendor.

The benefits to my law practice from Abacus Private Cloud are:
- - My data is secure and safe in the Abacus Private Cloud data center. No more local data backups, because all data is on the private cloud server, and is backed up there.
- - My local equipment costs are drastically lower than before I switched to a private cloud. I eliminated the three desktop computers that I was previously accessing remotely.
- - I don't need costly application software on each local access device. All law office applications can be run on the private cloud server, not on local hardware. The local devices are there simply to display and interact with the private cloud server.
- - My private cloud server can run any software, whether related to Abacus or not. Therefore, I can run the application software that my meets the specific needs of my law practice, regardless of the vendor.
- - My local IT and tech support costs are $0.
- - My staff and I have become totally mobile, without sacrificing efficiency. This means that each employee, as needed, can work on their own schedule, and from any location with cell phone coverage, electricity, and an Internet connection. This creates a flexible, modern, and dynamic work environment, resulting in a better quality of life, happier attorneys and staff, and a better work vs. life balance for all involved.
- - All law office applications and data are accessible 24×7 for each user via any device: desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
- - Private cloud technical requests (e.g., email configuration, remote access from a new device, etc.) are promptly resolved by the Abacus Private Cloud support staff.
- - System reliability (uptime) is outstanding.

In sum, this is a truly great product, at a reasonable price, with great customer support. I highly recommend you get it!! Thanks.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Mr Farr: Thank you for being a valued Abacus client. We're glad that you have fully automated your practice Abacus Private Cloud, and enjoy your virtual workplace environment. We are committed to providing our clients with a comprehensive suite of fully managed legal technology products and services to help guarantee the integrity and security of their sensitive data, as well as to enable their success and ultimate performance. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you, we wish you much success! Best, The Abacus Total Care Team

Louise S.

Ongoing diffciulties

Reviewed on 17/8/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

As usual, Customer support was very helpful. He called when he said he would and did his best to resolve the issues over which he had control. Where the issues related to Amicus and he could not resolve them himself, he has pointed me in the right direction so that at least I can try to get them resolved in the future if he can’t do so whilst I am on annual leave. In my view, Customer support assistance is really the only redeeming feature of the support provided, with no one else showing any real interest in helping me. The product could be excellent but is let down by speed and support issues. Now I only bother to contact Customer support as he is the only person who has really shown any interest in trying to resolve issues.

Pros

The product has a number of useful features which make it good for use in legal work. The ability to store all documents and correspondences within a file and send them by email or move them to different files are excellent, as is the ability to generate template documents and amend as necessary

Cons

The product is often slow and cumbersome to use, with numerous glitches which never seem to get resolved. we are based in the UK and were told that we would have 24 hour support, but this simply hasn't happened. I have had some issues with Outlook, copying and pasting and documents not attaching to emails for three months now and, whilst Customer support has made every attempt to try and sort these out, he is only able to do so during US working hours (which means from around 3pm UK time) and, despite his commitment and many efforts, the problems are still not resolved which, I understand, is because there is a bug for which there is so far no fix.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Julie L.
Industry: Law Practice

Would like more training (i.e. a weekly "how to" e-mail that is short and sweet with something abacus offers curtailed to how company uses the product would be nice.

Reviewed on 29/8/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The out of the ordinary task I was assigned frustrated me for several hours before I reached out for assistance. But when I did reach out, the assistance was there. It was something I could do, I just needed guidance. The executive from Abacus not only guided me through the process, but he explained what I was doing as we worked through to completion of the task and how it worked so I could easily do on my own the next time. Today, I had to go back in and add another search element and was able to do so without the frustration as before. I understood how it worked, and to clone what was already working so I didn't lose what had been done but improved upon it. Thank you very much for the help AND suggestion to clone before editing!

Pros

It combines calendar (both legal and non-legal), accounting and legal / case management into one area. Legal forms are updated regularly. Notes can be made addressing each case progress and conflict of interest checks are easily manageable. Automatic population is convenient when working on new matters under regular clients. The help line has always been quick, easy and convenient. Every person I have ever spoken with has been of great assistance, without hesitation. Thank you.

Cons

It is difficult (for me) to figure out the help through the on line directions to complete an out of the ordinary task.

Michael W.

AbacusLaw is Essential for Saving Time and Money

Reviewed on 28/8/2018

Our experience with AbacusLaw has been very beneficial in keeping matters organized and running smoothly. And also, knowing that if any issue should arise, it will be promptly seen to by their very capable IT team, which may be what makes AbacusLaw essential. Their team is always courteous and ready to serve you in a timely manner. As far as the software itself, there is rarely a problem.

Pros

Organization is key, so being able to link matters with the calendar and pull up events with so little effort makes my job much easier. I cannot imagine running a law firm without this program. It makes all the difference when you are in the business of billing clients based on time spent on their particular matter. The full scope of events, dates, time and time spent are at the ready, saving a tremendous amount of time.
AbacusLaw is incredibly functional. This software has it all, and I feel that our small firm isn't implementing the software to it's fullest capabilities. This is apparent as there are helpful suggestions each morning when I login and go to my calendar.

Cons

There is little to not like about the software. I suppose if it were free and could read my mind, but...

Michael L.

Been with them for almost 10 years and each version gets better and better

Reviewed on 16/6/2017

Most important... CONSOLIDATION! Abacus Law integrated the case management, "tickler" by rule, forms, contacts, matter, ACCOUNTING AND BILLING, all into a single easy to use and learn package. Changes in one area and iterated throughout the software. We almost never and disparate or duplicate data. Well Done!

Pros

Ease of use, consistency in operation, great support. In nearly our entire use, different versions and our transition to the "cloud" last year, our up-time has been nearly 99%. I was worried about transitioning to APC (cloud), but the support and transition and setup was painless and well executed. Our employees barely noticed the difference, but for, the Remote Desktop link... Very well done!

Cons

There are a few very minor custom things, but overall, nothing worth mentioning. As I said, I have been a happy customer for about 10 years, seen the growing pains, and various upgraded and improvements, each being better than the previous. We've been quite pleased.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

We appreciate your enthusiasm and thank you for your feedback! It has been a pleasure to serve you over the past decade.

Sharenda A.

Abacus - a comprehensive program

Reviewed on 27/9/2018

Overall Abacus has saved me a tremendous amount of time. Prior to its use, we were using three programs to do the work of Abacus, which meant entering basic information in three different programs and inputting data from one program into another to run reports, do billing, etc. Abacus has saved us a great deal of time.

Pros

I like the fact that Abacus Law and Abacus Accounting work so well together. Everything integrates nicely which saves me a lot of time. I also like the fact that tech support is local (in San Diego), speaks English, and is (almost) always available.

Cons

Our software developed a "glitch" quite some time ago and neither tech support, nor the engineering staff, were able to resolve it. It's still there, and it keeps throwing me error messages, but the program works in spite of it. Our main complaint is that we would like to upgrade to the new version of Abacus, but it does not work offline, so we've had to stay with the older version. (Internet in our area of town goes down frequently, and our practice is very Abacus-dependent.)

Angela L.

Abacus makes accounting easy.

Reviewed on 29/6/2017

Pros

Abacus has everything we need for our daily functions and makes basic accounting easy. We can access our client's many different ways (i.e.: name, matter, ID). I love the way the top bar is set up. The icons are used daily. I can print out reports for the partner within seconds. Easy transfer of funds from one client to another.

Cons

Sometimes when updates are made, there are problems with the monthly billing and client payments. After inputting the time tickets, sometimes the program freezes up and we need to shut down the system a couple of times and even need to call customer services for help. Also, when printing the invoices, even though I put them in alpha order, when they print out, they print out numerically or even one time recently just printed out (255 bills) in no methodical way. The same thing happens when inputting client payments. Instead of allowing me to input what I want to input, if I mark an invoice or invoices.

Alisha A.
Industry: Law Practice

We feel very supported with Abacus and enjoy glitch free work days 99% of the time.

Reviewed on 24/7/2018

It saves time and makes the coordination of tasks among staff more efficient. The database organization is simple to use and explore.

Pros

It is easy to learn and the customer service/software support people are very knowledgeable if something doesn't make sense. The software is very intuitive and saves lots of time. Saving time means getting more work done in a day. It is reasonably priced for the initial investment, and the support is a considerable value when softwares other than Abacus update and functionality changes. We moved our office 2 years ago, and taking Abacus along and getting us set up in our new location was EASY! Adding and replacing equipment has been seamless, like new PCs, phones, and/or laptops. The Abacus team is amazing!

Cons

Sometimes the updates come at the most inopportune times. It would be better if we could chose when to update things more in coordination with IT personnel for major updates.