Duo Security

User identity verification & device vulnerability discovery

4.6 /5 (253 reviews) Write a Review!

Daniel J.

It's all about security

Reviewed on 3/3/2020

Overall, Duo gives me peace of mind knowing that I am the only one that can access my personal data base from log ins and websites. I like knowing that I can approve or reject any log ins from the commodity of my phone.

Pros

Duo is a great option to keep your personal information secured. I like that it requests security validation before logging into websites, and that you have the option to use the app to sign in to any device with a few taps. It is easy to use once everything has been set up correctly.

Cons

It can be hard to understand at first, and it might seem a little annoying to have to confirm you are the one logging into your websites every time, but it gets easier if you have the app. Another thing Duo could improve on is the fact that it only lets you "remember" one device at a time. Sometimes I need to log in from my work laptop or my personal laptop and it becomes tedious to remember which device I have registered.

Stephen G.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Security to fill a gap, but not comprehensive offering

Reviewed on 27/9/2020

Duo Security is a strong SaaS product to fill the very specific infrastructure gap of 2-factor authentication for infrastructure.

Pros

Duo Security is a great product to fill a very specific gap in infrastructure security, specifically for SSH management. For requirements for 2-factor authentication for SSH, Duo is quick to implement

Cons

Duo is difficult to enroll users with, which creates a significantly higher administrative overhead than other options. There are also significantly more delays in the Duo pushed-based notification systems (depending on the user and their network, etc.), which can cause issues for users authenticating.

Samantha R.

Works Well

Reviewed on 25/2/2021

Duo security works perfectly to add additional security to our login process.

Pros

I like the simplicity of the multifactor authentication process. It was easy to deploy on our phones and works perfectly each day.

Cons

I do not have any cons to list. This product functions as it should and does the job. Compared to the product that we switched from though, I do feel that DUO provides less security.

Krishna D.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Beware! Customer service has been non-existent following Cisco acquisition

Reviewed on 10/3/2020

Pros

We have used Duo for many years. It was easy to implement and has always worked well.

Cons

Last year we negotiated bulk pricing and paid in advance for a 14-month term. Later we discovered that they had never provisioned our licenses and were still billing our credit card. Now, four months later, after numerous phone calls and more than a dozen emails, they have still not provisioned the licenses we paid for. They have acknowledged that this is their mistake and they need to fix it, but they seem incapable of doing so.

I get the sense that their organization is completely dysfunctional following the Cisco acquisition. Given that they cannot solve the challenge of "how does a customer purchase your software?", I am worried what might happen if you came to them with anything more difficult.

Lightweight, High-Security MFA App

Reviewed on 4/3/2021

I've really enjoyed using Duo. It quickly became a seamless part of my daily workflow across my organizations single sign-on process in a variety of programs and applications.

Pros

Our organization implemented Duo for its organization-wide single sign-on multi-factor authentication program in the last year or two. The process of signing up for my account was simple, and since starting, I've almost stopped noticing that I use it. I have it set up to ping my watch to get approval when signing in, but users are able to get phone calls, text messages, or a mobile notification through their app. These options make it flexible enough for users that may not have a smart device, etc.

Cons

Unlike other MFA apps, this does not have an Authenticator feature or any other frills. Admittedly, this isn't a problem – Duo does what it does and does it well without any excess!

Madison N.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Simple Security

Reviewed on 8/4/2021

Overall I have had a positive experience with Duo Security. You can also connect it to other devices such as an Apple Watch so you can quickly accept a push a logon.

Pros

Duo Security is easy to use and allows for two factor authentication. We use this security system to log into our VPN while working from home to ensure that it is secure.

Cons

A major con of Duo is if you do not have a smartphone. It would be difficult to authenticate without push notifications.

Best Two Factor Identification App

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Pros

I have used Duo for Two Factor Identification Security at two different employers so far in my career. It is such an easy to use, efficient and effective application. It eliminates the need to keep track of external network keys, passwords, and other redundant programs. I feel safe and secure with Duo Two Factor Identification because it requires both my phone and fingerprint in order to gain access to protected software.

Cons

Earlier this year I had to replace my iPhone and after I restored my new device from backup my Duo Two Vactor Identification was no longer linked. To my surprise, It took several hours to restore and reset my security settings at work the next morning. Although the Duo reset was quite inconvenient for me that day, restoring software is both an infrequent and uncommon occurrence for me.

Tara F.

Work safely from home with Duo

Reviewed on 27/7/2020

Overall my experience with Duo Security has been positive. Working with 3 different agencies that use Duo, I have not experienced any negative issues.

Pros

Working with highly sensitive personal data, we require the highest protection and security when working in office and working remotely from home. Integrating Duo with VPN has helped us confidently connect to our shared documentation. The 2-factor authentication helps lower risk of data breaches but verifying identity of the user. Duo is also used while in office to again confirm identity before allowing access to a vast amount of sensitive data.

Cons

I have not yet experienced issues with Duo and continue to use it daily as I am currently working remotely.

Sandeep K.

Excellent security app for authentiction

Reviewed on 26/3/2019

This is the best security feature for authentication. It makes sure no one else logins to your account but only you. The main benefit of this software is that our work done till date is secure in our machines.

Pros

The best thing about this software is that we can not login to our work station until and unless we pass through Duo Security. There is a mobile app for this which makes it easy to authenticate. We just need to tap "Approve" on the login request sent to mobile app. there are three types of login. One can choose any type based on our convenience. One can login using passcodes, call on spot or just clicking approval system.

Cons

There was issue when I lost my mobile phone and I wanted to configure duo again to login to my work station. Adding account was so time consuming that I had to wait for the Administrator to add my account again. If administrator is on leave then we have to wait for another complete day to login to work station.

Can be hit or miss

Reviewed on 23/9/2019

It's been an okay experience with Duo. The texting feature being so off and on is the biggest bummer, however, it's easy to use and quick to authenticate.

Pros

It's a fairly easy way to authenticate when needed for secure pages. I've used it in all of my jobs as two-factor authentication with sensitive and secure pages.

Cons

Sometimes the texting feature doesn't work. I click the "text me" button but it never sends the code to my phone. Therefore, I always just use the call me feature but it can be a bit annoying to have to always answer and press a button.

Rachel C.
  • Industry: Events Services

Annoying But Worth It

Reviewed on 30/3/2020

Our organization implemented Duo Security to access almost any internal part of our websites, emails, etc. It was frustrating to have this new extra step, but after I got the hang of it, I've come around to appreciating the software.

Pros

Once it is set up, the push notification for your phone is the easiest and fastest way to sign into Duo. It adds an extra layer of protection to accounts, and offers a few different options on how to utilize their product.

Cons

If you are using the cell phone push notifications to sign in, it becomes an issue when you switch phones. Although it is possible to switch your Duo account to a new phone, I found the process convoluted and clunky compared to the rest of the software.

Michael S.

Easy To Use

Reviewed on 28/11/2020

Overall, this is a great security platform for most organizations. It's user friendly and easily deployable

Pros

DUO is an extremely user friendly security software. This is an effective solution that can be implemented at every employee level of an enterprise. Options available with physical tokens or via mobile application make it versatile for any environment.

Cons

I haven't come into many issues with DUO and I used several other options on the market. The only drawback is there are more cost effective options available.

• Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Easy to use and handy product

Reviewed on 11/6/2020

Its been a great ool to use and i continue to use this. One of the best products in the market,

Pros

I use this everyday to login to the university VPN. it works our really well and is convenient. i can use this at ariports and other locations as well. One of the best products

Cons

The fact that it requires internet usage every time and there's almost nothing i can do offline without using the internet. The software is paid as well which in my case i use the university version

Nicholas H.
  • Industry: Research

Account Security Made Easy

Reviewed on 11/2/2020

I was asked by my University to download and begin using this application due to a then recent network breach. I found the application super easy to sign up for, to use, and to implement into my daily work life. At no inconvenience to me my account is more secure and I can rest easier.

Pros

I like that this software is so simple to use. Once you sign up, that's it! You can receive a push notification to your phone anytime a device tries to log into your specified account. By accepting the push notification you don't even have to re-enter your password. I feel safe knowing my accounts are being monitored!

Cons

I haven't delved too deep into the software's other features, but I would say the product could improve by presenting the user with more security options than presently available.

• Industry: Higher Education

Use when working remotely - works great and so easy!

Reviewed on 27/2/2020

Great way to connect quickly to your server within seconds. I use at home and remotely on the road and only takes me seconds to a minute to login. Highly recommend!

Pros

Love Duo! Makes working from home/remotely so easy. I login to duo from my computer and send verification to my duo mobile app on my phone, and quickly verify/approve and get logged into our server. Takes literally a minute! Way easier than past software we used that was unreliable. I've never had an issue with duo and also took no time for my IT department to set it up on my laptop and phone for me to get started.

Cons

Nothing bad to say! Has always worked seamlessly within seconds for me. Only took my IT department a half hour to put on my laptop and phone to get me going. Love this software.

Jacod michael S.
  • Industry: Research

DUO is a great choice, although this is not the cheapest solution.

Reviewed on 18/7/2018

DOU was a great choice in everything. Compared to some of the other multi-factor platforms, this is by far the easiest to manage and configure. This product gave the company a clear and clear documentation, which reflected its platform as one of the best. It is the best choice.

Pros

It is very good that it is compatible with Apple Watchcon. The design is very intuitive and has an excellent Interfax, you do not need training to use it. In addition, the documentation they provide is well written. Support is quick answer any question. The end-user experience is very simple and easy. The product works and they have given us great support by bringing systems online. DOU is the best product I found in the market.

Cons

I'm just saying it's expensive. It is the only bad thing that this product has. I think we are getting all the quality we want ... DOU is necessary for the company and I do not regret using it.

Dave T.

It’s good.

Reviewed on 21/10/2020

Overall good. Seems like good security. I’ve never had any bad issues or complaints.

Pros

We use this for two factor I’d for work apps. It’s nice. I like the layout and the ability to customize adding our logos and all. It really is similar to other apps though.

Cons

It’s really finicky when I have low phone signal compared to others. Seems to sign out too quickly and require many sign ins when using multiple University apps off campus. Wish there was a one and done solution.

Thatayaone M.

Cisco 2FA Review

Reviewed on 29/10/2020

I use the android app for this software to authenticate for VPN access and other company websites with sensitive data and I haven't had any issues. The software is stable and easy to use.

Pros

Protects against hacking
Protects against sharing of login credentials
Easy to approve access via Duo Push, and also has the passcode option
The user interface is simple and easy to navigate

Cons

I have been using this software for more than a year and I haven't had any issues using it.

Ridiculously easy to use

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Multifactor authentication is a MUST these days. Adding security is usually a tradeoff between ease-of-use, however Duo has very minimal negative impact on workflow.

Pros

Amazingly easy to use. Push notifications couldn't be easier, they arrive instantly and we highly recommend Duo to greatly improve security at such a minor impact to login flow.

Cons

Took a bit of thought to figure out how to set it up at a customer site, considering we have multiple employees that may be connecting to a customer's devices at any given time; more upfront setup time in that scenario but end result is great!

Amy S.

Safety and security

Reviewed on 9/12/2019

It has become a quick routine to deal with Duo when logging in. Glad they have the ability to accept through a mobile option.

Pros

When Duo was force-implemented on us, there was much grumbling. However, ITS says it has definitely helped with cyber-attacks and phishing.

Cons

I'm glad they have enabled a "remember me for 30 days" feature. It was a real pain prior, when you had this extra layer every time needed to login.

Mayowa L.

Duo

Reviewed on 4/3/2020

Great software overall, some little things can be made better here and there within the software.

Pros

I basically have to go through this software check everyday and anytime I try to sign into my educational institution. Its good for security.

Cons

Although I understand it is a good security check, it sometimes can be annoying having to pass through the same check-in multiple times even in a day.

Frans C.

We use this tool for 2-factor authentication purposes.

Reviewed on 13/3/2018

Pros

The software is easy to use for endusers via the app. It supports fingerprint authentication. It integrates quickly with a on-perm and SaaS solutions.

Cons

The initial setup for endusers can be a bit cumbersome for other platforms than iOS and Android.

Rachel C.

Easy Tool

Reviewed on 8/2/2021

I love that this easy to use software adds an extra layer of security to our programs.

Pros

The app is very easy to use and allows you different options on how you would like to dual authenticate your login. The speed and reliability of this app are great as well.

Cons

I don't love that my phone is the only way to access duo. This can be an issue if it's lost or not close by.

Nadia P.
  • Industry: Banking

Great Extra Layer of Security!

Reviewed on 8/9/2020

Would 100% continue to use this for years to come!

Pros

I love how Duo helps prevent people from getting into certain sites and services. It makes me feel that much safer, as if my information/work will not get stolen!

Cons

I dislike how sometimes when I try logging in with Duo, the software lags or makes me re-log in after a certain period of time.

Evan S.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Secure, Easy to setup Multi-Form factor from a trusted source, Cisco

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

They are probably the best 3rd party 2fa provider.

Pros

The ability to add multiple devices and hardware key fobs for each user. The mobile app makes it easy for end users to login

Cons

Users sometimes get upset that if they setup a new phone (BYOD) that duo just doesn't work. It's not an issue with duo, just the only issue we have faced.