Duo Security

User identity verification & device vulnerability discovery

4.6/5
4.5/5
4.6/5
4.4/5

Daniel
Daniel

It's all about security

Reviewed on 3/3/2020

Overall, Duo gives me peace of mind knowing that I am the only one that can access my personal data base from log ins and websites. I like knowing that I can approve or reject any log ins from the commodity of my phone.

Pros

Duo is a great option to keep your personal information secured. I like that it requests security validation before logging into websites, and that you have the option to use the app to sign in to any device with a few taps. It is easy to use once everything has been set up correctly.

Cons

It can be hard to understand at first, and it might seem a little annoying to have to confirm you are the one logging into your websites every time, but it gets easier if you have the app. Another thing Duo could improve on is the fact that it only lets you "remember" one device at a time. Sometimes I need to log in from my work laptop or my personal laptop and it becomes tedious to remember which device I have registered.

Gordon
  • Industry: Banking

A well known muti-factor aunthentication Solution

Reviewed on 27/7/2023

Overall, Duo Security is one of those mandatory have solutions. In the world of today where security is a big concern, multi-factor authentication is essential.

Pros

We use Duo Security to login to almost all our cloud infrastructure platforms. It is simple and minimum set up is required for someone to get set up and start using. It provides a variety of authentication methods like one-time passwords, push notifications, SMS etc. My favourite authentication method is the approval methods by the mobile phone app. The way it works is that once you input your username and password, a prompt is then sent to your phone with two options, either approve or deny. It is only after selecting Approve that you are signed in. I like this method because it is the easiest to use of all the multi-factor authentication methods available for Duo Security. Another advantage of Duo Security is that it works with quite a number of platforms ranging from desktop services, cloud services and VPNs.Duo Security offers insightful analytics which helps you track the security of your platforms. Login attempts can be monitored, and potential security threats eliminated before they can cause any harm.

Cons

Duo Security is very much connectivity and mobile device dependent. This may not be accessible to everyone at any given time. Another limitation of Duo Security is that the mobile application is only accessible through certain phones with a certain a specific android version for Android Mobile Users. There is this one time when the application failed to install in one of my colleagues phone. They had to use their wife's phone for multi-factor authentication whenever they needed to login to a specific remote desktop.

David

Duo Security is a bit of a double-edged sword

Reviewed on 20/11/2023

Duo Security is necessary and useful when trying to protect your secure access to portals and data online. However, this company hasn't quite worked out the delays and programming bugs that still come with the app.

Pros

Duo Security does resolve many issues with sensitive information and secure access, as the approved user is given sole access by having this app on the user's phone.

Cons

There are numerous delays in alerts and sometimes it appears that programming bugs cause the app to malfunction, even when using the latest version of the app.

Alex
  • Industry: Banking

Important to have.

Reviewed on 22/7/2023

Has been an excellent and smooth experience for me, it is easy to use and it gives me peace knowing that if someone wanted to use my credential i will be notify.

Pros

Mobile authentication is great, the pop up screen that just require accept once you are login in to the VPN is very efficient and easy to use.

Cons

When changing mobile device or phone number associated to the DUO it can be a nightmare doing the self service steps for people that are not computer savvy, within the organization has colleagues that do it very fast and some of them that hard to understand and follow the steps.

Faith

Duo Security for Enterprise Authentication

Reviewed on 25/5/2023

High level of performance solved our remote worker VPN security issue.

High level of performance solved our remote worker VPN security issue.

Pros

We use Duo for MFA, Desktop security, VPN security and they all work from an employee's mobile device.

Cons

Sometimes the connection between the user's mobile device and Duo will unlink which requires IT support intervention - frustrating for the end user.

Shannon
Shannon

Great Security

Reviewed on 14/4/2023

Never had any problems with Duo. I broke my phone once and couldn't authenticate myself to get into any important accounts since it was all tied to my phone only. Duo allowed me to get into my accounts that day fairly easily by giving me temporary backup codes until my phone was fixed.

Pros

Duo is simple to use, user friendly, and does all that is needed for authentication. I work with multiple large organizations that have chosen to use it for their employees. It is easy to pair duo with new organizations as well.

Cons

So many authentication apps exist, that it is hard to distinguish between them. Duo works great, but so does basically every other authentication method in the app store.

Frida
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Omnipresent tool. Gives the confidence needed.

Reviewed on 6/10/2023

Transforming. Am delighted to say that I can confidently work on my personal matters and responsibilities away from work rest assured that am safe.

Pros

What pushed me into using Duo Security is their trustworthy. It focuses on business protection and solutions leading to an overall best performance. I have enjoyed a user friendly dashboard. Very customizable features with secure multi-factor authentication solution. Deployment went well and didn't consume more time than expected.

Cons

With confidence, I salute Duo Security and highly suggest it to anyone. Let it do it for you. Always there for assistance. I have no cons.

Jean
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great 2FA app

Reviewed on 16/11/2023

Pros

The two factor authentication option is easy to use and quick

Cons

It can be slow and notifications sometimes don't show up on my phone

Alex

Essential additional layer of network protection

Reviewed on 24/11/2023

Pros

Provides an additional layer of security when logging into servers, firewalls, switches etc when offline MFA security or local administrator accounts. If the internet is detected a simple notification to Approve/Disapprove is set out to the mobile app. If the internet is offline you can use rolling codes to still login whilst maintaining essential security.

Cons

The administrative interface can be still confusing when setting up Users and Groups and often links are hidden away in large sections of text. Try setting up RDP and locating the Duo EXE and you'll know what I mean

Ritesh

Best For MFA

Reviewed on 17/8/2023

Duo was an easy transition into the MFA world for external access to our internal systems.

Pros

It can integrate seamlessly with all platforms and apps of our organization. Easy to install, use, track, and recover from lost or damaged phones. It has push notifications and also alternate access via text or call.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a couple of times to sign in to a network.Sometimes due to poor data access on the end user part, a push notification doesn't come up although data is available, Which leads to a timeout. A little bit difficult in the initial configuration.

Kalin
Kalin

Great Security Software

Reviewed on 24/9/2019

Overall I have found Duo to be a great method for securing my data and private accounts. It has allowed me to make sure that sensitive information stays safe and away from prying eyes. It also gives me a sense of security financially, as some of my accounts secured by Duo are linked to payment portals.

Pros

Duo is a great way to ensure that your electronic information and accounts are secure. I have used it as a student and I have found that it is reliable and provides peace of mind. It provides a dual authentication process so that no one can access my accounts but me. I like that any attempt to login to an account sends a notification instantly to my personal cell phone, allowing me to approve or deny access.

Cons

I have experienced a few technical bugs with the software in my time using it, though they are relatively infrequent. There are times when Duo will push a login approval to my phone and then fail to allow me to log in to my profile even though I have accepted the push. It can also be confusing trying to figure out how to change settings with Duo. For example, if you have set the software to preferentially send an automatic push upon requesting login, it can be difficult to change that setting. There could be a little more clear direction regarding that process from Duo.

Wendy

A must have for security and log in authentication

Reviewed on 15/2/2022

Definitely very satisfied with it. It is a very universal and must needed tool for companies to use at work to ensure their log ins do not get hacked by other people as the notification is sent directly to you and no one else. It is very user friendly and very straight forward. A must download!

Pros

I use this daily at work when I log into my work email and work related websites. It is a very handy program (I download the app onto my phone) and whenever I log in, it would send a ping to my app on my phone which I then use to approve the log in, and then it allows me to log in. This is a sure way to prevent others from hacking into your log and ensures the highest level of security. All the employees at my company/hospital use it and we all highly recommend it! It is very straightforward and very easy to use!

Cons

None whatsoever, the program is so user friendly and very straightforward. Definitely a must have for security use for logging in at work or public computers.

Anindita
  • Industry: Research

Duo Security: Secure yes but keep phone close

Reviewed on 16/4/2022

Maybe Duo should incorporate other ways to allow access alongside mobile devices. The reason being many a time mobile phones are not connected to the internet or not in the vicinity.

Pros

Our university switched to Duo securities some time back for authentication purposes. Security, of course, increased several folds. Also, Duo allowed multiple login/authentication. The enhanced security becomes very prudent when dealing with sensitive data.

Cons

Be ready to keep your mobile phone close to you when you want to access the accounts that need authentication via duo. My biggest issue is the extreme dependence on mobile phones. If the phone is lost or not in your vicinity, it becomes cumbersome to log in. Also, once you login the software sends a push notification to your mobile. The duration that push notification remains active is significantly less. There have been many instances when a notification was pushed to my mobile device, and my device was not within my reach. By the time I retrieve my device, the push notification expired.

• Industry: Media Production

Does exactly what it does!

Reviewed on 29/3/2023

Really, my experience is very positive. When I am disappointed, it is usually because it work well All The Time so I expect to be perfect, but perfect it a high bar to set for anything. I use three different Dual Auth apps and three physical tokens for different applications and Duo it in the top two in terms for favorite in ease to use.

Pros

The PUSH to mobile functionality is just about as easy to use as you can get. Also, I can use the same app for different authentication of different unrelated systems.

Cons

The Duo PUSH does not ALWAYS work 100% of the time, but does work 90%. Usually when inside or around electronics, but that is to be expected like with text messages or regular phone calls.

Alec
Alec
  • Industry: Semiconductors

Duo is a standard and effective tool for secure access

Reviewed on 29/4/2021

Duo security is my main program for two factor authentication, and I will continue to use it for this! I like how simple and easy to use it is, and I am thankful that I can trust this program to help secure my accounts.

Pros

I like how simple and straightforward Duo is as a tool -- when I need to connect to a program requiring two factor authentication, I can simply attempt the login and Duo prompts me via my phone, which I can then authorize. I like how simple and straightforward this tool is, and I am grateful that it helps me secure access to my private accounts.

Cons

What I like least about Duo is how limited the features are of this tool. Sometimes I need to connect to an account using Duo but don't have internet on my phone, and I wish Duo provided alternatives for authentication via computer or phone, but this program lacks these features.

Karan Preet
  • Industry: Accounting

One of the most amazing Security tools in the market

Reviewed on 23/3/2022

Pros

Easy to use. Allows smooth and detailed authentication of unknown users which protect the company from cyber frauds. Very secured tool by cisco and widely deployed in many organisations. Their application on mobile is also smooth and great. It protects user's data in the safest way

Cons

Third party integrations with tools and software in which we want to add MFA or authentication can be hard sometimes due to compatibility issues with this tool. Secondly, there are lots of tools in market which provide similar features and IT security protection in cheaper prices.

Microsoft Authenticator
  • Industry: Hospitality

Secure but Time-Sensitive

Reviewed on 4/5/2021

Pros

I use Duo on a daily basis to login to my company's VPN and again for internal company resources. Once it's setup it's pretty easy to use. I appreciate that it syncs with my phone so I can just click a button on my phone to ensure it is me.

Cons

I have to login to Duo twice a day and I usually do it at the same time. If I do them too closely together, one of them will say it timed out and I have to start the process all over. If I close all of my internet windows, I have to re-certify everything again so that can be annoying. Also, I purchased a new cell phone after several months of using Duo. It did not recognize my new phone and kept sending my codes to my old phone. It was a frustrating process to reconfigure everything to log on for work. On top of that, I don't love that I have to use my personal device to log on to my work device. It's another app that takes up space on my personal phone.

• Industry: Telecommunications

2FA For the Enterprise

Reviewed on 5/9/2018

We wanted a 2FA solution for our VPN and password management solutions. Duo integrates with both. We also needed a 2FA solution that can be used by a wide variety of users. We have many remote users so being able to authenticate via app, text, or phone call makes it easy for all of our users to gain access in a way that is secure and available to them.

Pros

Duo has made it easy for our company to use 2FA across several of our services. It's easy to implement and easy to manage. Duo integrates easily with 3rd party applications and services. Users can use multiple ways to authenticate to Duo.

Cons

Push notifications to Cellphones can be spotty if a user has poor cell reception. Not necessarily a failure on Duo's part but it should be considered if you are going to use the App Push for authentication.

Lightweight, High-Security MFA App

Reviewed on 4/3/2021

I've really enjoyed using Duo. It quickly became a seamless part of my daily workflow across my organizations single sign-on process in a variety of programs and applications.

Pros

Our organization implemented Duo for its organization-wide single sign-on multi-factor authentication program in the last year or two. The process of signing up for my account was simple, and since starting, I've almost stopped noticing that I use it. I have it set up to ping my watch to get approval when signing in, but users are able to get phone calls, text messages, or a mobile notification through their app. These options make it flexible enough for users that may not have a smart device, etc.

Cons

Unlike other MFA apps, this does not have an Authenticator feature or any other frills. Admittedly, this isn't a problem – Duo does what it does and does it well without any excess!

Jen
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 9/12/2019

Duo helps us to maintain a secure login to our sites. We use it to access payroll information, reports, our shared drive, and other things you want extra security around.

Pros

I like the fact the fact that Duo is so easy to use. You can it up to verify in different ways - through an app, a call, or email. I sue the app which I love. A simple swipe and accept and you are in your site securely. For computers that are secure and you use regularly you can have it remember you for 30 days which is very convenient for sites you use multiple times a day.

Cons

I really don't have any complains about the software. It works great for my purposes. The only thing I have heard people complain about is just two step verification in general.

Jeff
Jeff
  • Industry: Higher Education

Great for keeping you secure

Reviewed on 5/4/2020

My institution uses it to keep our information secure and it does a great job of keeping it secure.

Pros

Duo is used by my institution to keep our information safe. We use the DUO factor login and it is easy to set up and to use. You download an app on your phone and it will call/text/ or send a push notification when you login to your website. It works seamlessly and never seems to have a problem.

Cons

It can be a bit of a pain when you leave your phone in your office or somewhere else and then go to login to a company site that needs the authentication with DUO. You can't login with out your phone and it can end up being a hassle. But, it does keep your information secure.

Tara

DUO for Work and Students

Reviewed on 22/9/2020

It is very easy to use. I have not had any issues using it or getting connected.

Pros

Working in Higher Ed and files and documents for the students needs to be secure. I appreciate the ease and use of DUO. Having dual authentication to log into email and software gives me the assurance that it will not be easy for someone to pick up a phone to access personal files, but has to have access to another device to authenticate the login.

Cons

Everytime I log into my email, I have to wait for the pop up to authenticate the DUO screen to access my mail. Sometimes my phone is not near me and I have to stop what I am doing to log in to the email or other campus software.

Jose
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Authentication using DUO PUSH

Reviewed on 5/7/2023

Working for several years. Easy to use and no disruptions in the service.

Working for several years. Easy to use and no disruptions in the service.

Pros

Very wasy to use. No much more to say, it´s simple and works very well. It can be integrated with lot of apps.

Cons

Sometimes using WIFI networks take some seconds to receive push. I have 1GB optic fiber, don´t think so itcould be due WIFI. Perhaps it´s the handset WIFI module. When I use with mobile data connection it is immediate.

Easy to use MF authentication

Reviewed on 6/2/2019

I have used Duo Authentication at two institutions now as a two-factor authentication means. It is very easy to use and even less tech-savvy coworkers find it easy and straight forward to use.

Pros

Once Duo is set up, it's super easy to use, whether responding to a push notification or generating a one-time use password.

Cons

When attempting to change preferences in a browser to allow it to retain your login status, you must cancel an initial automatic push from the authentication screen in a browser, check a "remember me" box, then wait some time before attempting another push. This is a security measure, but a minor annoyance when trying to quickly make a change and move on.

James
James

An Extra Layer of Security

Reviewed on 25/4/2021

Overall, it's been a great experience. We implemented it so that we could have unified MFA over multiple platforms--VMware and M365, for example. It also gives users who don't want to use an app on their phone the option of using a hardware key. Setup and integration isn't too rough and the support is excellent.

Pros

Being able to manage multi-factor authentication from a single point is the biggest benefit to this software. When you have disparate systems, all offering their own implementation of MFA, management becomes an issue. Duo solves that issue.

Cons

The administration interface takes a while to get used to. If you stay away from it for a while (when no one has any issues with it) it takes a bit to re-orient yourself.