Duo Security

User identity verification & device vulnerability discovery

4.6/5

306 Software options

Juliette R.

Review from Student

Reviewed on 12/8/2021

Good experience overall, and it is not a hassle to use Duo. I have heard very few complaints from other students and colleagues at my university.

Pros

Duo makes it very easy for me to log-on to my student account at my university. I like how it is intuitive to use on iPhone especially, and it gives me the option to call or text my phone. I rarely use the "call" feature, however, because I am always using wifi. The Duo Security app pops up immediately, and I am able to approve the request quickly from my phone. I feel very secure with this software, especially since the pin changes every few seconds.

Cons

I don't always have my phone with me, which makes it impossible to log in. I wish there was a feature where I could receive an email instead of a call or a text on Duo. I have not seen this feature at all, but it would make my life easier.

John B.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Two-factor authentication that just works!

Reviewed on 30/9/2019

Our organization has been using Duo Security two-factor authentication for years. The entire solution is incredibly reliable. The mobile app works great and is very easy to use. End-users can quickly and easily enroll their own devices via a self-service portal. This is very convenient whenever you get a new phone. Approval notifications can also be sent via phone, text or push. Push notifications are also supported on the Apple Watch. Although it's rarely needed, online support documentation is very robust. The best thing about Duo Security is...it just works, every time.

Pros

- User-friendly self-service portal for new device enrollment and management
- New account setup is easily done via scanning a QR code
- Multiple options for approval codes or notifications including phone, text or push (includes Apple Watch)
- Push notifications can be approved directly from the iOS lock screen
- Approval is also compatible with Face ID on iOS devices
- One-time bypass codes can be used for lost devices or temporary access
- Support for Universal 2nd Factor (U2F) security tokens
- Great online support and documentation library
- Flexible subscription plans with affordable pricing

Cons

When using an outdated version of the app, iOS push notifications just stop working without any error message or notification

Alec P.
  • Industry: Semiconductors

Duo is a standard and effective tool for secure access

Reviewed on 29/4/2021

Duo security is my main program for two factor authentication, and I will continue to use it for this! I like how simple and easy to use it is, and I am thankful that I can trust this program to help secure my accounts.

Pros

I like how simple and straightforward Duo is as a tool -- when I need to connect to a program requiring two factor authentication, I can simply attempt the login and Duo prompts me via my phone, which I can then authorize. I like how simple and straightforward this tool is, and I am grateful that it helps me secure access to my private accounts.

Cons

What I like least about Duo is how limited the features are of this tool. Sometimes I need to connect to an account using Duo but don't have internet on my phone, and I wish Duo provided alternatives for authentication via computer or phone, but this program lacks these features.

Cleydson L.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Works well the best I've ever downloaded

Reviewed on 19/3/2021

Duo is a product that gives me peace of mind, I am sure because I know that I am the only one who can access my personal data through login or websites.

Pros

In fact, Duo Security, give me a lot of security to work the only one who can access my base without restrictions and without any kind of problems, and a wonderful product, I like using it more, very good to know that I can count on you this software for any type of safe and effective work.

Cons

It could be more practical, I didn't need to confirm every time you enter a Sait, so it gets a little tiring and a little difficult for those who are beginners. The Duo could improve in the following way, not asking for a reminder every time you log in to your device. "Remember" a device, so that personal work is not so exhausting

• Industry: Hospitality

Secure but Time-Sensitive

Reviewed on 4/5/2021

Pros

I use Duo on a daily basis to login to my company's VPN and again for internal company resources. Once it's setup it's pretty easy to use. I appreciate that it syncs with my phone so I can just click a button on my phone to ensure it is me.

Cons

I have to login to Duo twice a day and I usually do it at the same time. If I do them too closely together, one of them will say it timed out and I have to start the process all over. If I close all of my internet windows, I have to re-certify everything again so that can be annoying. Also, I purchased a new cell phone after several months of using Duo. It did not recognize my new phone and kept sending my codes to my old phone. It was a frustrating process to reconfigure everything to log on for work. On top of that, I don't love that I have to use my personal device to log on to my work device. It's another app that takes up space on my personal phone.

Jane G.

Best thing I ever did for securing my website

Reviewed on 14/10/2016

Ever since I've started using DuoSecurity to access my website admin interface, I haven't had any breaches in security and I feel safer knowing that hackers can't access my website easily.

I've been using DuoSecurity for several years now and offer it as part of my Security Packages when I launch a client's website, because it's a quick setup and for ease of mind.

I use an app on my iPhone that sends me a notification when I go to log in to my site, allowing me to "Approve" or "Disapprove" access to the site's admin interface easily. I also use it to access other accounts online that allow for a Code to be entered, giving me that piece of mind that my personal information is secure.

Highly recommended!

Pros

Security Features, Ease of Use, Apps

Cons

Their website is not easy to use because there are so many features available, which might be overwhelming to someone not familiar with it

1-click for Two-Factor Authentification

Reviewed on 15/1/2019

Pros

I have been an end user of Duo Security for the last 2 years, and I think that this is the best software for 2-factor authentification. The Duo App has a simply designed platform. When we sign into the website that requires authentification, we can just type a passcode provided by Duo App on the website or click an authentification request given by Duo App. Yes, it is that easy with Duo.

Cons

Setting up the Duo from the scratch can be challenging to some people who are not familiar with two-factor authentification. It is important for organizations or companies to provide a step-by-step installation procedure to users before they start using Duo as their sole authentification method.

Tara R.

DUO for Work and Students

Reviewed on 22/9/2020

It is very easy to use. I have not had any issues using it or getting connected.

Pros

Working in Higher Ed and files and documents for the students needs to be secure. I appreciate the ease and use of DUO. Having dual authentication to log into email and software gives me the assurance that it will not be easy for someone to pick up a phone to access personal files, but has to have access to another device to authenticate the login.

Cons

Everytime I log into my email, I have to wait for the pop up to authenticate the DUO screen to access my mail. Sometimes my phone is not near me and I have to stop what I am doing to log in to the email or other campus software.

Jared M.

Duo Security User Review

Reviewed on 6/1/2021

Duo security helps me keep my information secure and safe by creating a simple and user-friendly two device authentication process for accessing information.

Pros

My favorite part about the software is its ability to connect with my apple watch so that I can quickly approve login requests and access confidential personal information. The two-factor authentication process keeps me at ease about this information remaining secure.

Cons

My least favorite thing about Duo is that sometimes there is a delay on the push notification being sent to my phone. I occasionally experience some lag time and wish I could authorize my account faster.

Easy to use MF authentication

Reviewed on 6/2/2019

I have used Duo Authentication at two institutions now as a two-factor authentication means. It is very easy to use and even less tech-savvy coworkers find it easy and straight forward to use.

Pros

Once Duo is set up, it's super easy to use, whether responding to a push notification or generating a one-time use password.

Cons

When attempting to change preferences in a browser to allow it to retain your login status, you must cancel an initial automatic push from the authentication screen in a browser, check a "remember me" box, then wait some time before attempting another push. This is a security measure, but a minor annoyance when trying to quickly make a change and move on.

Forrest H.

Simple and Fast Two-factor Authentication

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

Some of the websites I use require two-factor authentication to add security. DUO is the fastest and easiest way for users to authenticate.

Pros

While some users find two-factor authentication tedious, DUO makes the process extremely fast. The phone app seamlessly syncs with any website requiring two-factor authentication. It combines a high level of security with ease and speed that I was looking for in a two-factor security system.

Cons

There are some websites that when accessed through a mobile device, are unable to fully load the DUO push notification request page and disallow the website's access sometimes. This may be the responsibility of the website, but since the DUO page will sometimes not load, it prohibits the use of certain websites that require two-factor authentication when on a mobile device.

Lyle K.

Great Product

Reviewed on 3/3/2021

Works great once setup and configured. Easy to approve login when setup

Pros

Solves our need for 2FA for our online platform
We could enable it for Office 365 which in turn protects our other products as they authenticate against Office 365
Works for OWA in Exchange as well
Mobile Push app for easy approval

Cons

It needs to get rid of using PAP for authentication, this causes issues for VPN integration for our firewalls with not being able to use IKEv2. PAP is also not a secure protocal

Collin B.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Pretty good and unobtrusive multi factor authenticator

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

Other than the Con described above, it's about as easy as any two-factor authenticator I have used.

Pros

It's normally pretty fast to authenticate. Authentication requests come to the mobile app within seconds and it only takes a few taps to do.

Cons

I have repeatedly enabled cookies on my web browser so it will remember the authentication for 30 days, but it never does and continues to tell me that I need to enable cookies for it to remember. This means that I have to re-authenticate every day.

Casey Z.

Secure access

Reviewed on 17/6/2021

Duo is my organization's security program for two-factor authentication. I've never experienced any security or access issues with Duo and plan to continue using this platform for the foreseeable future.

Pros

I have the Duo App on my phone and it provides super simple two-factor authentication for remote access or when logging into secure sites.

Cons

It can be a little confusing trying to understand after first how Duo works, but once you've used it a few times, it becomes a seamless process.

Terran G.
  • Industry: Research

Easy and seamless security

Reviewed on 21/2/2020

Since two step authentication is required in a lot of aspects, this is a nice and simple way to do it.

Pros

I like how small the program is and how seamless it plays in my day to day login. The reaction time is quick and I can login knowing I am secure.

Cons

Sometimes it can be annoying when you phone is not around and you are trying to login into something. But I guess there's no getting around that with two step authentication.

Harshkumar P.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Good for the business employees

Reviewed on 4/6/2021

Nice experience. In my past employment, we have to change passwords every three months for email/HR account. However, email or HR account integration with duo eliminate the need of password change and give extra layer of securities

Pros

You will not require to change password of your work or school accounts/email as duo is sending you 2 step verification. Can be push notifications or code on the app. Can be integrated with the Remote log in software links for extra security along with Citrix Workspace

Cons

Setting up account is hard. You need to set up in computer for app in phone. Because if your employer gives you QR code to connect, you have to log in your employer site in computer and capture QR code to get further steps.

Can be problem when you will switch to new phone and how IT system of employer/school for setting up or retrieving information for new devide

Easy Two Factor Authentication

Reviewed on 29/9/2020

Overall the software is easy to use and allows the two sep security factor.

Pros

While I didn't have a hand in setting up the software, I have to use it everyday to access my email for work. It is easy to send calls or texts to my phone to allow me to log in.

Cons

I am not sure why but the push authentication feature does not work on my work phone. It would be easier to use that feature than getting a call or text.

Michael F.

Easy access to protected tools

Reviewed on 7/7/2021

I have enjoyed using Duo to access documents ad join the company VPN

Pros

Duo instantly sends a push to my phone and is easy to quick through. I set it up in just a few minutes more than a year ago and have not had to make changes since

Cons

Occasionally there is a delay between sending the push and it getting to my phone. When this occurs I will send a second one and do not have a problem

Lindsey S.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Duo keeps sensitive information safe

Reviewed on 7/10/2020

Duo is easy to use, effective, and keeps all the information safe

Pros

We use Duo as two-factor authentication for our human resources portal. It helps ensure that the sensitive information is protected, and that only members of our organization can access it

Cons

None! Amazing, easy to use, the app is simple, great customer service- no complaints at all. It works perfectly

• Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Two factor authentication made easy

Reviewed on 18/11/2018

Pros

Simple, easy to use software for two factor authentication, you can use the app, get a phone call, or get sent a list of access codes through text, making your account more secure from hacking.

Cons

The program is really easy to use to with a simple push of a button on your phone, but if you don't have your phone there is no way to get through the Duo security, a computer app is needed.

Pete S.

Best option for website security, would definitely recommend.

Reviewed on 11/4/2018

Pros

We go to Duo after Clef closed shop - Clef was ridiculously easy to use. After trying three other options (dismal failures) we hit on Duo and it has been perfect since. It works fast every time and has good supporting documentation available online. Authentication options are all good and they are all fast, pretty much instantaneous. Duo is well worth it for the peace of mind knowing the website has this layer of security in place.

Cons

Some difficulty getting re-set when I upgraded my phone; followed the simple instructions and had to do it all over a couple of times before it finally "took". Could have just been me, I wouldn't consider this as a real con, more likely user error.

Brice P.
  • Industry: Higher Education

A good option for a necessary piece of software

Reviewed on 5/3/2019

Pros

My organization uses Duo as a security backup on all of our sensitive data repositories (financial/HR, student data, etc). I have Duo mobile set up on my phone, and like how I can have it send me a push notification. It takes only a few seconds to go through the entire process.

Cons

It can be a pain having to continually re-verify your log-in, and every once in a while it seems to lag a bit (network slowdown or something). For some orgs, it's just a matter of which authentication product you'll use, though, and this a decent choice.

Vera G.

added security with 2 factor authentication

Reviewed on 18/3/2021

great sense of added security - easy to setup and maintain

Pros

Very easy to use and setup on smart phone. We use it to authenticate to all applications we use. Give another level of security

Cons

with any other dual authentication - loss of a cell phone or smart device leaves you unable to login without having someone put your login credentials in bypass mode.

Hayley R.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Solid functionality, low on features

Reviewed on 26/7/2021

Overall positive. Feels like there's areas of opportunity for the application to be even better.

Pros

It did exactly what I needed of it. I'd use it every day to log in to my computer to make sure it's me logging in, to help ensure privacy.

Cons

It did nothing else and if I changed phones, there was a bit of an issue in terms of connecting to my account.

Namrata K.
  • Industry: Research

Great for security issues!

Reviewed on 11/5/2021

My overall experience has been great using Duo security with my institutional email accounts. One feels safe!

Pros

The application forbids anyone to use your private email accounts by integrating phone number with it.

Cons

It is sometimes tricky and frustrating to integrate it again once you have changed your phone number; may be due to security reasons.