Cloud-based payroll processing solution

Mike F.
  • Industry: Sports

Hassle Free Payroll Solution

Reviewed on 30/4/2021

I'm a big fan of anything that saves me time and headaches, and there is NONE larger that sending out tax forms or other financial obligations. Controlling payroll from on easy to use hub is a great value, and it only costs a small monthly fee per contractor.

Pros

I am a sole proprietor/ LLC, with independent contractors as opposed to full/part time employees. I absolutely love that Square Payroll manages every facet of fund transfer including submitting tax form to my contractors, essentially taking care of my responsibilities as an employer.

Cons

The employer dashboard and features are pretty basic and may take some to get used to what functionality is available. The users, my hires, have not experienced any problems or difficulty, so that's the most important pat.

SurePayroll

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

I was already previously using SquareUp payment transactions so it made sense to keep everything on one platform
Michelle J.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Effecient and Timely

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

My overall experience with payroll has been amazing. Even when my account was compromised, Square still made sure that my employees got paid.

Pros

Square is the most effecient product that I have ever used. I can make my appointments, and the fact that my team can clock in and out, make appointments, and get paid in a timely manner, leaves alot of the stress off of me as the owner. I can work in one program, I don't believe that Square is missing any features as far as payroll is concerned. Payroll pays my taxes for me and it pays it in a timely fashion.

Cons

Nothing bad that I can really say about square payroll.

DaySmart Salon and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

I heard that this product was better

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

It gave me everything they had but at a more economical price.
Alma B.
  • Industry: Music

Square Payroll Services

Reviewed on 15/6/2021

Pros

I love Square Payroll Services. They take care of all the paperwork allowing me to manage my business.

Cons

I love this software and I plan to keep using it for many years.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Because I already had a Square account to invoice my clients. It seemed easier to keep only one account. They are great!
Francel P.

Reviewed on 15/6/2021

I am able to make Square Payroll our one stop shop. It files and pays our quarterly taxes, W-2's, Worker's Comp Insurance, Employee Benefits, and Wage Garnishments.

Pros

Square Payroll is super user friendly. It has a ton of features we use such as time tracking, direct deposit, and benefits.

Cons

I would prefer if we could change the cut off day time to a day later in the week but still allow for Friday direct deposits. Currently the cutoff is set to 11pm on Monday for a Friday direct deposit. Mondays are always super busy for us and there are many times I am unable to get payroll in on time, resulting in me having to write checks.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

The ease of use plus it is cheaper.
Louis C.

Square Payroll has proven a valuable solution to organizing and managing many vital aspects of...

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

We were pleasantly surprised by Square Payroll's deep feature set and found that this application can contain just about every aspect
of payroll function to employees. This application offers access for employees to individual accounts in order import hours worked and to create
reports regarding vacation hours or even company benefits to name a just few of many parameters.

Pros

We appreciated the inclusion of so many capabilities inside the Square Payroll application such as salary calculators which generate
accurate payroll rates individually or by group. This is one of many features Square Payroll offers through an easy to use front line
interface. Our team was also impressed with Square Payroll's ability to integrate with our third party operational management software
already in place. Synchronization is proven in most cases quite fluid. As Square Payroll supports mobile use on IOS and Android, access is
readily available for employees when remote.

Cons

With such an outstanding and comprehensive application , our team found Square Payroll's customer service difficult to contact
and almost as equally difficult to work with during our installation and integration phases. We are happy to report that this level
of service improved as we progressed with Square Payroll's application features. There is a rather robust and informed online forum that
is available where so many issues can be resolved thus improving client quality control levels.

Richard B.

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

I run my payroll on a bi-weekly basis. The use of this software means that I do not have to worry about filing the various and sundry state and local tax statements quarterly and annually. This is done automatically. I also do not have to figure out the various taxes to be withheld. The software does it. Although I have a small business, I can run payroll in less that five minutes. It doesn't matter if I am in my high season, or my low season, it takes the same amount of time because of the integration.

Pros

I own a small gelato shop. I use Square as my POS, my time card system and for my payroll. The integration of the products is seamless. The time card system allows the employee to clock in and out and that time flows right into the payroll. The time card system also allows me to add a lunch break or correct a timecard if someone forgot to clock in or out. The flow from timecards to payroll is a click of the button.

The payroll system also allows for individual benefits, both pre- and post-tax and both hourly or salaried employees.

The taxes are paid by Square and are calculated and paid on-time, removing a big headache for me. The tax reports are easily accessible and can be downloaded for those time when they are needed, like for PPP or other loans.

Cons

The only time that I have had to call support was to find out how to put in a post-tax benefit. That was not intuitive in the software, but very easily done once you knew which button to click.

Christy marie P.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Square Payroll makes it easy to run my small business

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

Using Square Payroll saved me money by eliminating the need for me to hire a CPA. It was easy to set up and any initial questions I had were answered promptly and efficiently by Square. I've used Square to run a restaurant with 10+ 1099 employees and now I use it to run a small marketing firm that employs all 1099 contractors. It takes me less than 10 minutes to run payroll and get my employees paid and I am extremely satisfied with the service.

Pros

Square Payroll was is the easiest, least complicated system I have found to run payroll. I used it for four years while owning a restaurant and it was simple to add new hires and remove employees who left the company. Square files your quarterly taxes, unemployment insurance, and workers comp with each payroll run so you don't have to visit and file in all the different portals. I never had any issues with getting my employees paid on time and Square offers multiple payment options which can be customized to work with each employee.

Cons

There's nothing about Square payroll that I don't like. Square continues to add new features to help me grow my business and make payroll a breeze.

QuickBooks Payroll
Jean V.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Pretty good, but not quite perfect for me

Reviewed on 12/2/2020

I love that my employees timecards are much more accurate than my previous method of writing it on paper and figuring it out. It has helped me deal with the red tape my state imposes on me, so that's a real plus. I ultimately chose to remain with my current provider because of the lack of blank check printing capabilities. I would like a way for my employees to track their sick time taken on their apps.

Pros

I use Square for retail and appointments, so I wanted to try the payroll function. The set up was easy to do, and my employees downloaded the timecards app and didn't seem to have any problems setting it up on their end.

Cons

It says that there is a check printing function, so the first time I went to run payroll, I discovered that I needed pre-printed checks. My current provider's software prints out complete checks on check blanks that I buy online. So, I'm using the timecards function, but not the actual payroll portion. On the timecards, I still have to calculate sick pay manually. I would like my employees to be able to sign in to sick time on their own.

Gregory H.
  • Industry: Publishing

Leave Payroll Processing to the Experts at Square and Focus on Front Line Business Management

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

I was an original beta client of Square when I opened my office in San Francisco many years ago. Now I live and work in Colorado and find the cross sector platforms of running a business so seamless and intuitive. Also in the age of remote working, now I do not fear hiring either 1099'ers or employees as Square Payroll serves as the HR master in compliance.

Pros

For decades I have used a variety of platforms to process payroll. Since I already use Square on the frontline as a merchant services platform, it makes sense to use the payroll application to keep transactions simple and easy.

Cons

The only con that I have experienced was with a third party vendor that offered insurance services as part of the add-ons. It was a short lived and minor crisis and we have found a solution.

Barbara C.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Best Payroll and Benefit Program for Small Business

Reviewed on 17/7/2021

Great customer support and ease of use.

Pros

Time tracking and tax reporting were invaluable

Cons

No complaints - everything worked as I hoped

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Ease of use and support
Carissa G.
  • Industry: Photography

I Love Square's All-In-One Interface

Reviewed on 16/6/2021

Overall I love Square Payroll because it saves me from having to use another service for my payroll needs.

Pros

I absolutely love that this makes hiring and paying employee's easy for small business owners. The features are up to day with direct deposit functions which keeps me from having to meet up for payouts. I also like the look of the software because its not complicated. Since I already use Square for my POS system it's only natural that I use that to stream my money to my employees.

Cons

The time card function doesn't have full visibility of the whole calendar but I manage.

Cham W.

Excellent once you get the hang of it

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

Pros

Square Payroll was easy to set up, and adding new employees is a very simple and fast process. Our employees have an online portal where they can edit their direct deposit details/address/withholdings/etc.
As the administrator I'm able to import their hours from third party programs as well (currently using T-Sheets)
The deadlines to submit payroll are clearly displayed, as well as the window of time when you can cancel or edit a submitted payroll.

Cons

For our company there are multiple pay rates depending on the work (regular hourly pay, drive time, etc.) When importing from T-Sheets I have to manually go through every time entry and specify what pay rate will be applied to each shift for every employee.
It's not possible either to change how direct deposits are labeled on the employee's bank statement. Instead of having my company name listed it just shows "SQUARE PAYROLL"

ADP TotalSource and QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

The pricing and set up process for Square Payroll was better than the competetors, and the features available fit comfortably with my company's needs.
Tiffany C.

Payroll or bust!

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

Square Payroll is amazing as they file my quarterly payroll taxes for me. It is very easy to log on to squareup.com and check my analytics for payroll immediately. Very user friendly! Highly recommend.

Pros

Let's face it. As a business owner, we need to have payroll. Forget writing hours on paper (and searching for it later)... Square payroll is easy to read, reports your labor cost right there for you, shows employee break times, etc. I couldn't live without it!

Cons

Quite honestly, I've used it for two and a half years, and I have nothing to complain about!

Christopher H.

Ditch Your Other Payroll Providers ASAP

Reviewed on 19/9/2016

I was getting fed up with Wells Fargo payroll for years. Every time I requested a change, such as employee bonuses or salary increases, they would screw up payroll for everybody.

I knew that whenever I would ask them for something, things would get screwed up.

I was looking for a change, and considered Bank of America. The price was comparable to Wells Fargo.

Then I heard that Square was doing payroll. I was instantly intrigued, because I like the credit card payments using the card (see them, but never used the service for our business).

Square has a reputation for technological innovation, and the price was very good. I like allowing the employees to manage their own accounts and to get their documentation.

Square Payroll rocks!

I just wish they had the ability to automatically run salaried payrolls. I don't like to run payroll. All our employees are salaried and get paid the same amount twice each month. However, we do give Xmas bonuses, which is an annual change request that Wells Fargo would screw up most years.

Pros

Employees have real-time access to their payroll reports and manage their own accounts

Cons

I have to run payroll for salaried employees every two weeks.

Cynthia M.

ease to use, all in one, responsive

Reviewed on 21/12/2017

Pros

Most of my small business POS and payroll tasks can be handled with this one system.
There is a lot of flexibility to match the system to my business specific categories, product lines, items and variations.

Cons

Lack of automating conversion of information from this to quickbooks. Returns/exchanges
Library organization limitations - you put what is a priority to you at the top instead of what is a proirity to me.
Square Gift cards are too expensive to use.

Jason M.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Really enjoy Square Payroll!

Reviewed on 9/1/2018

Pros

I love how employees can set up direct deposit OR have a manual check, along with Square withholding the taxes and telling me exactly how much has to written in the check.

Very easy to manage employees, adjust hourly rate, overtime, timecards and off-cycle payments.

Cons

Wish there was a way to bulk add employee timecards. For example, if an employee works 5 days a week from home (I know of Homebase, but from a manual perspective) and the same hours every day. I currently have to submit 5 timecards, instead of one batch one.

Employees ask about seeing a breakdown of their hours inside of a pay period.

Sarah J.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

So easy for one location

Reviewed on 23/5/2021

Pros

Square Payroll is so simple to use, it takes minutes to complete payroll now. If you have one location I highly recommend it.

Cons

You cannot pull different location’s payroll from different bank accounts, square only allows one bank account for payroll.

Iris G.

Good

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

Pros

Friendly to use. Easy to maintain. Allows many options,
Like it in white, looks clean ( saw the new stand in black, didn't like it)

Cons

The stand is not practical for busy business.
We purchased two years ago and has the problem with connection all the time. Poor design. Also, the new version is very expensive and the company doesn't take the old one to give some credit in exchange.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Overall, Square is a great product that I expect will only improve with time. Excited where it...

Reviewed on 8/12/2017

Pros

So easy to use and train new hires; multitude of features; off-line and mobile capabilities; constant updates that improve the app

Cons

Bugs are slow to fix; very limited data and customer analysis possibilities; features are confusingly different in the dashboard and Square app; privacy protection for customers doesn't allow us to make important changes; expensive

Michael B.

Convenient

Reviewed on 11/12/2017

able to accept credit cards to my business

Pros

Simple to use! Just plug it into the phone and swipe! The customers love being able to swipe any card they choose!

Cons

unable to customize receipts the way I'd like. I need to be able to customize receipts to each client I have and it does not look clean on the print out when i have to write it in the "notes" section

Debbie K.

Very reasonable. Has gotten better and better with time by adding additional features.

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

Affordability, ease of use and also the employee clock in/out feature. Having all the information available on-line. Being able to check the Square app and see who is clocked in and how many hours total worked.

Cons

Some features seem to have bugs? Have to play around, go out of feature and go back in for things to work correctly. Ran into a couple of issues that the help feature didn't answer and one time tech support with payroll experience wasn't available. Biggest issue is that I'm not given enough time to review and run payroll - if I don't get in by Monday night, my employees will not receive their direct deposit by Friday - and holidays are worse! Not necessarily a software issue but I believe you should know, I have used several other companies throughout the years and always had a few days to process and get checks in time.

Nicole H.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

I've had a good experience and would recommend it to others

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

I like being able to run my own payroll at an affordable price

Pros

I like the email reminders and ease-of-use. I like the price per month and being able to collect data

Cons

When looking at the graph of past payrolls I would like it to show the values more clearly not just when you hover over them period when adding a new employee I would like to do that without having to start in payroll but instead start under employees I don't think employee should be in two different places making it difficult to know which place I'm starting to do certain functions. I would also like to see time cards that don't just show each day but let me see a week or a month at a time. When I search under employee I would like to see their time cards going back that payroll and next payroll not have to click on each day and search for the employee per day

Joe H.

Works well for my business

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

Easy access to payroll, seeing monthly statements, convenience

Pros

What i like about the product is that there is no month fees, it is user friendly, I can take it any where, and quick

Cons

I know this really doesn't have to direct correlation with your as Square as a company, though sometimes a slow contention to WIFI

Elissa G.

Pretty good

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

Pros

Merchant vendor, high tech appearance, keeps track of transactions, easy to run reports, time stamp is cool but payroll needs work

Cons

Customer service takes hours to get through! I tried emailing and never heard back. The payroll screwed up my payroll twice and didn't pay my unemployment taxes!

Jacqueline M.

Square has simplified my work

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

Pros

Ease of use. Price
Thanks, Square. I can collect payments on site at conferences I host as well as in my clinic

Cons

I cannot process payments at my conferences in Iceland