Square Payroll

Cloud-based payroll processing solution

4.6 /5 (476 reviews) Write a Review!

Cham W.

Excellent once you get the hang of it

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

Pros

Square Payroll was easy to set up, and adding new employees is a very simple and fast process. Our employees have an online portal where they can edit their direct deposit details/address/withholdings/etc.
As the administrator I'm able to import their hours from third party programs as well (currently using T-Sheets)
The deadlines to submit payroll are clearly displayed, as well as the window of time when you can cancel or edit a submitted payroll.

Cons

For our company there are multiple pay rates depending on the work (regular hourly pay, drive time, etc.) When importing from T-Sheets I have to manually go through every time entry and specify what pay rate will be applied to each shift for every employee.
It's not possible either to change how direct deposits are labeled on the employee's bank statement. Instead of having my company name listed it just shows "SQUARE PAYROLL"

Louis C.

Square Payroll has proven a valuable solution to organizing and managing many vital aspects of...

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

We were pleasantly surprised by Square Payroll's deep feature set and found that this application can contain just about every aspect
of payroll function to employees. This application offers access for employees to individual accounts in order import hours worked and to create
reports regarding vacation hours or even company benefits to name a just few of many parameters.

Pros

We appreciated the inclusion of so many capabilities inside the Square Payroll application such as salary calculators which generate
accurate payroll rates individually or by group. This is one of many features Square Payroll offers through an easy to use front line
interface. Our team was also impressed with Square Payroll's ability to integrate with our third party operational management software
already in place. Synchronization is proven in most cases quite fluid. As Square Payroll supports mobile use on IOS and Android, access is
readily available for employees when remote.

Cons

With such an outstanding and comprehensive application , our team found Square Payroll's customer service difficult to contact
and almost as equally difficult to work with during our installation and integration phases. We are happy to report that this level
of service improved as we progressed with Square Payroll's application features. There is a rather robust and informed online forum that
is available where so many issues can be resolved thus improving client quality control levels.

Jean V.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Pretty good, but not quite perfect for me

Reviewed on 12/2/2020

I love that my employees timecards are much more accurate than my previous method of writing it on paper and figuring it out. It has helped me deal with the red tape my state imposes on me, so that's a real plus. I ultimately chose to remain with my current provider because of the lack of blank check printing capabilities. I would like a way for my employees to track their sick time taken on their apps.

Pros

I use Square for retail and appointments, so I wanted to try the payroll function. The set up was easy to do, and my employees downloaded the timecards app and didn't seem to have any problems setting it up on their end.

Cons

It says that there is a check printing function, so the first time I went to run payroll, I discovered that I needed pre-printed checks. My current provider's software prints out complete checks on check blanks that I buy online. So, I'm using the timecards function, but not the actual payroll portion. On the timecards, I still have to calculate sick pay manually. I would like my employees to be able to sign in to sick time on their own.

Tiffany C.

Payroll or bust!

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

Square Payroll is amazing as they file my quarterly payroll taxes for me. It is very easy to log on to squareup.com and check my analytics for payroll immediately. Very user friendly! Highly recommend.

Pros

Let's face it. As a business owner, we need to have payroll. Forget writing hours on paper (and searching for it later)... Square payroll is easy to read, reports your labor cost right there for you, shows employee break times, etc. I couldn't live without it!

Cons

Quite honestly, I've used it for two and a half years, and I have nothing to complain about!

Christopher H.

Ditch Your Other Payroll Providers ASAP

Reviewed on 19/9/2016

I was getting fed up with Wells Fargo payroll for years. Every time I requested a change, such as employee bonuses or salary increases, they would screw up payroll for everybody.

I knew that whenever I would ask them for something, things would get screwed up.

I was looking for a change, and considered Bank of America. The price was comparable to Wells Fargo.

Then I heard that Square was doing payroll. I was instantly intrigued, because I like the credit card payments using the card (see them, but never used the service for our business).

Square has a reputation for technological innovation, and the price was very good. I like allowing the employees to manage their own accounts and to get their documentation.

Square Payroll rocks!

I just wish they had the ability to automatically run salaried payrolls. I don't like to run payroll. All our employees are salaried and get paid the same amount twice each month. However, we do give Xmas bonuses, which is an annual change request that Wells Fargo would screw up most years.

Pros

Employees have real-time access to their payroll reports and manage their own accounts

Cons

I have to run payroll for salaried employees every two weeks.

Cynthia M.

ease to use, all in one, responsive

Reviewed on 21/12/2017

Pros

Most of my small business POS and payroll tasks can be handled with this one system.
There is a lot of flexibility to match the system to my business specific categories, product lines, items and variations.

Cons

Lack of automating conversion of information from this to quickbooks. Returns/exchanges
Library organization limitations - you put what is a priority to you at the top instead of what is a proirity to me.
Square Gift cards are too expensive to use.

Jason M.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Really enjoy Square Payroll!

Reviewed on 9/1/2018

Pros

I love how employees can set up direct deposit OR have a manual check, along with Square withholding the taxes and telling me exactly how much has to written in the check.

Very easy to manage employees, adjust hourly rate, overtime, timecards and off-cycle payments.

Cons

Wish there was a way to bulk add employee timecards. For example, if an employee works 5 days a week from home (I know of Homebase, but from a manual perspective) and the same hours every day. I currently have to submit 5 timecards, instead of one batch one.

Employees ask about seeing a breakdown of their hours inside of a pay period.

Iris G.

Good

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

Pros

Friendly to use. Easy to maintain. Allows many options,
Like it in white, looks clean ( saw the new stand in black, didn't like it)

Cons

The stand is not practical for busy business.
We purchased two years ago and has the problem with connection all the time. Poor design. Also, the new version is very expensive and the company doesn't take the old one to give some credit in exchange.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Overall, Square is a great product that I expect will only improve with time. Excited where it...

Reviewed on 8/12/2017

Pros

So easy to use and train new hires; multitude of features; off-line and mobile capabilities; constant updates that improve the app

Cons

Bugs are slow to fix; very limited data and customer analysis possibilities; features are confusingly different in the dashboard and Square app; privacy protection for customers doesn't allow us to make important changes; expensive

Michael B.

Convenient

Reviewed on 11/12/2017

able to accept credit cards to my business

Pros

Simple to use! Just plug it into the phone and swipe! The customers love being able to swipe any card they choose!

Cons

unable to customize receipts the way I'd like. I need to be able to customize receipts to each client I have and it does not look clean on the print out when i have to write it in the "notes" section

Debbie K.

Very reasonable. Has gotten better and better with time by adding additional features.

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Pros

Affordability, ease of use and also the employee clock in/out feature. Having all the information available on-line. Being able to check the Square app and see who is clocked in and how many hours total worked.

Cons

Some features seem to have bugs? Have to play around, go out of feature and go back in for things to work correctly. Ran into a couple of issues that the help feature didn't answer and one time tech support with payroll experience wasn't available. Biggest issue is that I'm not given enough time to review and run payroll - if I don't get in by Monday night, my employees will not receive their direct deposit by Friday - and holidays are worse! Not necessarily a software issue but I believe you should know, I have used several other companies throughout the years and always had a few days to process and get checks in time.

Nicole H.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

I've had a good experience and would recommend it to others

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

I like being able to run my own payroll at an affordable price

Pros

I like the email reminders and ease-of-use. I like the price per month and being able to collect data

Cons

When looking at the graph of past payrolls I would like it to show the values more clearly not just when you hover over them period when adding a new employee I would like to do that without having to start in payroll but instead start under employees I don't think employee should be in two different places making it difficult to know which place I'm starting to do certain functions. I would also like to see time cards that don't just show each day but let me see a week or a month at a time. When I search under employee I would like to see their time cards going back that payroll and next payroll not have to click on each day and search for the employee per day

Joe H.

Works well for my business

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

Easy access to payroll, seeing monthly statements, convenience

Pros

What i like about the product is that there is no month fees, it is user friendly, I can take it any where, and quick

Cons

I know this really doesn't have to direct correlation with your as Square as a company, though sometimes a slow contention to WIFI

Elissa G.

Pretty good

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

Pros

Merchant vendor, high tech appearance, keeps track of transactions, easy to run reports, time stamp is cool but payroll needs work

Cons

Customer service takes hours to get through! I tried emailing and never heard back. The payroll screwed up my payroll twice and didn't pay my unemployment taxes!

Hlee L.

Love it. Easy. Some minor issues but responsive.

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

Pros

Easy and quick. Set up is easy to follow and everything is tracked as needed for accounting. One time fee in purchasing the equipments and one flat interest rate per transaction.

Cons

Takes too long to respond back, but responsive. Always have to log into account in order to get a PIN number to call customer service and yet have to wait another day to solve problem.

Wendy K.

Makes being a small business a double dream!

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

Pros

Really appreciate the email reminders to run payroll. Direct deposit is great and the fact that you take care of all the taxes is a huge help!

Cons

There has been a few letters we've received from the IRS with questions about payments they've received and where they should go, but the Square team has always been responsive and helped to figure it all out.

Christy D.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Square payroll beat out the competition for my small business!

Reviewed on 12/4/2018

More time to work other aspects of my small business. No more spending hours on payroll!

Pros

So easy to use and incorporate especially if you are using the Square POS. Time clock, employee management, taxes, workers comp can all be handled at once. NO astronomical fees! Saves so much time on payroll processing. Love it!

Cons

There isn't anything I can think of that I do not like. I switched from a major payroll firm and never plan on leaving Square. They really are looking after the small business!

It has been a great way to familiarize ourselves with payroll and extremely helpful in

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

Pros

Ease of use, connection to my Square point of sale and overall great functionality. I can basically run my entire business through one place; this is something I truly enjoy.

Cons

At first I did not like the cost, however, after lots of comparison I realized how effective it was and that the overall value was extremely good. I have used another payroll solution in the past and Square is not only comparable, but it exceeded expectations.

Katherine W.

Great support staff and program works great

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

Pros

The ability to get reminders of deadlines for payroll and to be able to see past pay stubs. I like being able to add time on a daily basis. I like the emails letting me know what is being debited out my checking account also.

Cons

I had a little trouble finding out how to switch from direct deposit to hand written check but with a quick call to customer support, they helped me figure it out. Its a really great program.

Oisin F.

Experience has been fine thus far

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

Pros

Ease of use and reliability. Once initial set up was done, I didn't need to make many changes but when I did it was easy. I like that you can use offline mode if your WiFi goes down. This is important.

Cons

Software itself has been fine. I would like to speak with someone about additional features I may need at my second location. I would like to pick up the phone and call someone but I'm not sure that is an option.

Amanda C.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Square payroll has helped streamline my office hours & alleviate stress.

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

Not communicating with the irs is a game changer. There were times before when I was on hold for up to 2 hours at a time for simple information.

Pros

Easy to navigate, intuitive, good customer service. Communicates directly with the state and the IRS so I don't have to.

Cons

A little difficult to process payroll on a phone or iPad sometimes. The app doesn't show the full screen and I have to drag the screen around to find all the options.

Alan N.

Mostly good. support can be slow. have had a lot of glitches

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

Best part is the cost of labour per hour. that is incredibly helpful.

Pros

very user friendly for the staff. great reports. seems to be very intuitive. like that its completly intigrated with our square

Cons

has been some bugs. for the most part it has worked well. Logging in has sometimes been a challenge for employees, but not as bad as other systems we have used.

Susan K.

Square payroll has made this part of my business a cinch. Thank you!!

Reviewed on 10/12/2017

Pros

Employees love the direct deposit option and they can access their paystubs online. I also love the new hire reporting and that state and federal filing included.

Cons

I don't like that I cannot leave an open punch from the dashboard when someone forgets to punch in. Not a big deal, just a slight inconvenience

Otgonbat S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Fast, seamless, easy to use

Reviewed on 27/10/2017

Handling sales, review and report

Pros

Cloud based, access from anywhere, user friendly, lots of options, reports are awesome. The fact you can download and be in business right away.

Cons

Price. I also wish if you could do the monthly filings of sales tax since they are all registered in system.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Remarkably easier and less expensive than the competition

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

Pros

1. Cost
2. Ease of use
3. Human support (which I've only needed a couple of times during the learning process)
4. Very intuitive and easy to use
5. I don't need a second app on my ipad for time cards... works in the same app I do everything else on that machine

Cons

I don't like that there the employee management tool is separate from the payroll manage employee function... It should all be integrated. I don't pay for the employee management because I don't need that much, BUT since I have to manage employee information from the payroll section anyway, this should really just be included (both for cost and simplicity)