Square Payroll Reviews

4.4/5

Christy Marie
Christy Marie
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Square Payroll makes it easy to run my small business

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

Using Square Payroll saved me money by eliminating the need for me to hire a CPA. It was easy to set up and any initial questions I had were answered promptly and efficiently by Square. I've used Square to run a restaurant with 10+ 1099 employees and now I use it to run a small marketing firm that employs all 1099 contractors. It takes me less than 10 minutes to run payroll and get my employees paid and I am extremely satisfied with the service.

Pros

Square Payroll was is the easiest, least complicated system I have found to run payroll. I used it for four years while owning a restaurant and it was simple to add new hires and remove employees who left the company. Square files your quarterly taxes, unemployment insurance, and workers comp with each payroll run so you don't have to visit and file in all the different portals. I never had any issues with getting my employees paid on time and Square offers multiple payment options which can be customized to work with each employee.

Cons

There's nothing about Square payroll that I don't like. Square continues to add new features to help me grow my business and make payroll a breeze.

QuickBooks Payroll
Angie
  • Industry: Consumer Services

A key tool for my business to run successfully!

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

Square has taken the scary part out of running a business for me and made it simple and straightforward. I could not run my business without it.

Pros

Payroll and pay contractor features are excellent. The invoicing is very good as well. Those are the two things I use most from Square. But I also like the online booking, team management, and how items and services are highly customizable.
Overall it's all pretty easy to use with a few things that just have a bit of a learning curve.

Cons

I feel like the ability to go from one location to the other on the mobile app could be improved.
Also, I wish Square would integrate with timekeeping apps such as Clockify.
We work per hour but not per shift, the time-keeping abilities in Square seem to be geared more toward retail and restaurant industries.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

I like the interface for Square and also the pricing was a huge factor for me as a small start-up business.
Angie

Poor product and customer services

Reviewed on 20/5/2017

A lesson.

A lesson.

Pros

Clean and easy to use interface. Unfortunately that's all the positives I can think of after using it for more than 6 months.

Cons

1. Lots of mistakes - inaccurate state/city withholding at the beginning, even the dashboard numbers did not add up/balance (these were corrected after we raised the issues). A few months later, suddenly they double deducted certain taxes from our bank account for TWO consecutive payrolls (you'd think they would fix it after we raised the issue the first time). This is worrying as it makes us wonder if they actually got all the calculations behind the scene correctly.

2. Lack of reporting - no detail of when or what taxes have been paid. No actual PDF of all your tax forms (like form 940), only PDFs of tax forms in Square's own format are available. When we finally downloaded our state payroll forms directly from the state website, numbers on the forms are missing (Square said it's the state's problem).

3. Customer services is not great. We almost always have to repeat and explain our problems again because they would reply with some generic answers first and never really look into the specific problems when they receive your email. So you have to repeat and explain, and when they finally realize there were mistakes, they would not even contact you to let you know it is corrected (don't expect an apology).

With all the time wasted, the Square payroll is probably one of the worst software we've used. The interface is clean and nice and easy to use, but it stops there. Don't let it fool you. The rest is a nightmare.

William
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used for 6-12 months

User Friendly Payroll

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

As stated above, it's extremely user friendly. Much easier to setup then competitors I've looked into.

Pros

It's super helpful considering I utilize contractors when needed since my service business is still small. Extremely user friendly. And I love that you can issue payroll via Cash App.

Cons

Don't really have any complaints about Square Payroll.

Gusto and Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Easier to setup, more user friendly interface, and more cost effective for the size of my business.
Tiffany
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

The Simplicity of Payroll

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

My experience with using Square has been blissful and stressful at first. However, when all things fit perfectly, there were no problems, and the system has and will continue to work well for CSCB.

Pros

All of Square's features work so very well together.. A perfect match!

Cons

No problems to report other than HR learning how to navigate the software.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

Square fitted in perfectly with the Square products that CSCB had been using years prior.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Square was designed to assist small businesses to be just as great as bigger businesses. The ease of using Square products speaks volumes.
Atama
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great for Growing Small Business to pay contractors nd employees

Reviewed on 16/2/2021

Over experience is great. Im do not have difficultly using the platform and i so recoment it.

Pros

Easy to set up, easy to use, and great instructions on paying contractors. It was easy to each my office manager to run payroll and allow staff to remotely acess the platform for virtual work days.

Cons

Customer service need to be improved upon. If the company have issues it should be communictaed promptly to users.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Square gave us a multitude of options to fit our needs between paying contractors and switching to W2
Kaylie
Kaylie

Structured and controlled management.

Reviewed on 10/2/2023

Overall it is a very useful and easy to use platform, it helps to speed up administrative processes that should be secure and error free.It streamlines payroll and vacation pay and helps keep compliance under control.The support is fast and responsive.

Pros

It allows to organize all employees in a structured way and to control processes and working hours easily.It allows us to control employee time off, identify and manage sick time off and possible replacements.Includes online payments and tax deductions.Allows you to print checks facilitating payment to contractors.

Cons

I have no negative things to say about this platform.

Serene
Serene
  • Industry: Hospitality

A surprise, random audit put your services to the test...Passed with flying colors Thank you!

Reviewed on 1/11/2018

I was recently audited by the NC State of Employment Security and passed
with flying colors because...

I was recently audited by the NC State of Employment Security and passed
with flying colors because we use Square up for our payroll services.

I am busy leading my business, which means wearing many hats, and I have
always depended on Square up to file the right forms, charge the correct
rates, and pay my employees.

All I have to do is plug in the time cards each week and click the pay
button.

The surprise, random audit put your services to the test...Thank you!

Sincerely

Pros

Ease of use for sure, navigation, and customer support

Cons

Our team will have the same time cards...would like a feature that duplicates the time and can change the employee would be helpful

Andrea
Andrea

Recommend for Payroll

Reviewed on 8/11/2021

Pros

Very low price, I feel like it is definitely worth it. The support you receive is really beneficial and I also like that I can have great accessibility from my iPhone.

Cons

The user experience wasn't the easiest at the beginning, it did change after a month or so. Very very basic reports.

Sherri
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Square Payroll is the only way to go!

Reviewed on 1/8/2023

Been using it for four plus years because it is so simple.

Been using it for four plus years because it is so simple.

Pros

Ease of use, simple to input time and tips for employees. No need to worry about taxes either!

Cons

I feel it has all the features it needs right now

Kelli
  • Industry: Utilities

My Square Payroll Software Review

Reviewed on 16/4/2022

Square Payroll's dashboard was very easy to navigate, the software itself was self explanatory & for the most part easy to use, but i ran into a few problems when it came to direct deposit, employee requested time off, & it was also a little more expensive then other payroll software programs.

Pros

The dashboard of Square Payroll was very easy to use & navigate, I had ran into alot of problems when it came to time off requests & also direct deposits being made on time/payday.

Cons

That there were a few times that employee direct deposits were not deposited when they were to be deposited ie: payday. The software was more expensive than other payroll programs I have used in the past.

Matthew
  • Industry: Hospitality

Easy to use and great value

Reviewed on 26/1/2023

Pros

It is so easy to use, either on the computer or mobile phoneVery inexpensive compared with Paychex and ADP (both of which I have used in the past)Comprehensive payroll service, I don't need to do anything other than input information

Cons

This does not matter to me, but it does not do the HR items that Paychex and ADP do. If you need a more comprehensive service, one of them might be better. For just payroll, Square is fantastic.

RUN Powered by ADP

cost

Paychex Flex

value for same services
Josie

Easy & Intuitive Payroll Software

Reviewed on 19/9/2016

Square's Payroll is insanely easy to use and navigate. I've been using it since Jan 1, 2015 and my only wish is that I started it sooner. I like that I can offer direct deposit to my employees and pick how often to pay them. They love it too because it's so simple, they don't have to worry about payroll. The backend for both me and my employees is also really easy to understand. I highly recommend it.

Pros

It's easy to use and understand. My employees said signing up and filling out their w-2 info was the easiest ever. Nobody had to ask me (or their Mom's!), it's direct and in plain English.
It calculates paid sick time for me (as per the new sick leave act in CA).
Submitting my quarterly federal tax returns and CA quarterly report of wages is also easy. It's so easy I don't even know how to do it because Square does it automatically for me!
Customer service is also great. One time I received a notice from EDD that I filed late, I called Square and they took care of it. My fee was waived, I haven't had an issue since.

Cons

I wish the Pay history offered more sorting options like their Sales information. I'd like to be able to see it by year, month, quarter, etc. I know Payroll is still kinda "new" so it wouldn't surprise me if this is offered later.

DuWayne
  • Industry: Restaurants

It doesn't get any easier than this!

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

Far less time setting up new employees, minimal time spent processing payroll and several hundred dollars a month in savings.

Pros

I love the simplicity of using Square payroll. It is simple to set up and to use. It is also one of the least expensive payroll options out there.

Cons

I wish that it had a simple way of looking up employee's wage history (when raises were given specifically)

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

to save money, simplify the process and to get away from the company we were working with.

simplicity and price
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

This is significantly easier/cheaper than big competitors

Reviewed on 21/8/2018

I joined in the beta testing and have loved it. It definitely helped us cut our administrative costs for payroll.

Pros

I love that I can run payroll in 10 minutes or less and that they file all the necessary paperwork. The cost is based per employee, which works for my business model. They have a new app for folks on the go, too. I've downloaded that, but not used it yet.

Cons

Editing timecards isn't too bad, however, you have to wait until the employee is clocked out to make the edit and it can be easy to get busy and forget. But sometimes the system doesn't let me add a timecard from scratch. The employee doesn't drop down in the menu so I have to go add the hours to an existing timecard. This isn't a big deal if you're not carefully monitoring costs, etc.

Also, my employees go back and forth between locations, so if they start at location 1 to pick supplies up and clock in there, they're clocked in at that location for the whole shift. I wish there was an option to select which location they're working at.

Marisol

Over all good, easy to pay employees.

Reviewed on 5/11/2017

Easy to learn and use

Easy to learn and use

Pros

Easy to use and customer service is always willing to help but at time since they don't use the products. Some questions are hard for them to answer, giving a text book answer and not fixing the problem. Even though they were ready and willing to help in every way. I have called multiple times and have had great experiences with staff.

Cons

Easier way for a receptionist to ring out different employees to lessen any mistakes, when pulling reports. Or..... giving an option to change service provider when pulling reports, if a mistake is made. Sometimes making the report irrelevant having to manually add all service and retail because something was rung up under an another employee. When paying employees commission a mistake can create tension. Ringing out you can not make any mistakes without voiding the transaction. when the only mistake was it was under a wrong employee name.

Danielle

Simple and easy to use, great value for the cost!

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

Pros

Square payroll is very simple to use and gets payroll done quickly. Our employees clock in through our Square POS so when it's time to do payroll, all I have to do is upload their timecards, enter their tips or sick leave and it's done. I've used other payroll systems that are not as simple or user intuitive and I really can't believe how much time I've wasted. I love having all of my sales information and employee information in one place. It makes it easier to compare your sales VS labor and budget accordingly. I would definitely recommend it!

Cons

Customer service could be improved, mainly with wait times and resolution of issues. Usually I have to re-tell my problem to multiple customer service reps before they pass it along to someone else who will then get back to me the next day. Relaying information regarding changes employees make to their profiles, like W-4s could also be improved. It would be nice to have a separate column to enter Sick Leave VS PTO when doing payroll.

Carissa
  • Industry: Photography

I Love Square's All-In-One Interface

Reviewed on 16/6/2021

Overall I love Square Payroll because it saves me from having to use another service for my payroll needs.

Pros

I absolutely love that this makes hiring and paying employee's easy for small business owners. The features are up to day with direct deposit functions which keeps me from having to meet up for payouts. I also like the look of the software because its not complicated. Since I already use Square for my POS system it's only natural that I use that to stream my money to my employees.

Cons

The time card function doesn't have full visibility of the whole calendar but I manage.

Chad
  • Industry: Restaurants

Freezer Fresh LLC

Reviewed on 16/6/2021

We love Square, easy app on phone to monitor sales and know when we need to rush up to help the staff. Very functional for business analysis. I would probably sell the business if I need not have Square Payroll to assist with paying employees and tax reporting.

Pros

Sales reporting is fantastic with downloadable reports to excel for analysis, trending to be used for purchasing and inventory controllable. Helps us determine which items are selling best.

Cons

Employee timecards are hard to review on a weekly basis to see where there is an error. You can go day by day but in all honestly we are not using the scheduling function which may prevent some of these errors.

Johnny

Good but it can be better.

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

Not having to file some of my own business documents

Not having to file some of my own business documents

Pros

I like that it is so easy to charge our customers and I also like that we can create invoices, emails, feedback, etc. I also like how your staff sends resources via email to try to help ,e

Cons

Staff need to be more knowledgeable and familiar w/ their area of expertise so that they assist us better when we have any issues. Also, when I try to create recurring invoices for clients, it will not accept them but it will accept the transaction through point of sale. Also, my employees are in a union and I feel like having to manually input my employees union fees takes a lot of effort

Justin

Has some bugs

Reviewed on 9/12/2017

Easy to track sales

Easy to track sales

Pros

Consolidating sales in a user friendly way. Easy to use when system is actually working. Compatible with iPad.

Cons

Constant updates without any warning, leaving us having to switch over to PayPal here register app to process sales while square is down. Also constant connectivity issues with the chip reader causing a bit of embarrassment when customers watch us have to insert and swipe their cards several times thinking we are double charging them.

Laura

Love it and need it

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

It has been easy to use and inexpensive. I love it!

It has been easy to use and inexpensive. I love it!

Pros

Square provides us with payroll and credit card processing. Without them I do not think we could afford to have employees. The fact that they do all the work for me with taxes, forms, compliance, etc. is amazing. This service has helped my business grow.

Cons

Nothing problematic, we have not had any issues with square payroll.

Holly
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Square Payroll make it easy for employers!

Reviewed on 7/4/2022

Square makes it easy to run payroll and file taxes!

Square makes it easy to run payroll and file taxes!

Pros

The fact that the taxes are filed is a huge relief for an employer, square stays on top of tax rate changes and notifies you if there are any tax rate changes being made for state or federal taxes.

Cons

I really don't have any cons, it's easy to use and meets my business payroll needs.

Cameron

Gets rid of the headache

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

It was a lifesaver when we first implemented it. I was struggling to do payroll by myself. I'm not a details person and the software took care of all of it for me. It was perfect!

Pros

The payroll services makes things easy and removes the headache and compliance worries.

Cons

Haven't found any issues that are troublesome. It's working great for us.

DAVID
  • Industry: Insurance

Small business owner

Reviewed on 15/6/2021

Easy to use for all small business owners

Easy to use for all small business owners

Pros

Price and easy access. Easy to install and best program for small business owners

Cons

need more time to submit payroll. Overall system is great.