Cloud-based payroll processing solution

Mike F.
  • Industry: Sports

Hassle Free Payroll Solution

Reviewed on 30/4/2021

I'm a big fan of anything that saves me time and headaches, and there is NONE larger that sending out tax forms or other financial obligations. Controlling payroll from on easy to use hub is a great value, and it only costs a small monthly fee per contractor.

Pros

I am a sole proprietor/ LLC, with independent contractors as opposed to full/part time employees. I absolutely love that Square Payroll manages every facet of fund transfer including submitting tax form to my contractors, essentially taking care of my responsibilities as an employer.

Cons

The employer dashboard and features are pretty basic and may take some to get used to what functionality is available. The users, my hires, have not experienced any problems or difficulty, so that's the most important pat.

SurePayroll

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

I was already previously using SquareUp payment transactions so it made sense to keep everything on one platform
Neil K.

Super Easy Payroll and Worker’s Comp solution

Reviewed on 1/11/2021

Pros

Extremely easy to run bi-weekly payroll. All reporting is handled for you.

Cons

It’s a little on the expensive side, hold times for support can be a little long but my questions have always been answered quickly enough.

Jared K.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Square Payroll for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 21/6/2022

I enjoyed being able to send automated payments to contractors and also other businesses officially versus me having to pay somebody via check only and not have it reported as 1099.

Pros

The payroll portal is connected separate from the website and is easy to sort out money and wages and tips for small to large offline businesses. There is a seamless integration with timesheets and the employee app to clock and clock out hours worked.

Cons

It could be very automated with the square POS equipment. I know they're just beginning where they can clock in as an employee but it could be also allowed to pay those people automated without me having to process everything all the time.

Alysia G.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Overview

Reviewed on 10/6/2022

Pros

Files taxes for you. Sends tax forms to workers. And tracks hours.

Cons

Have to use square processing to access all features. Limited reports “. And not great for larger business.

Holly M.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Square Payroll make it easy for employers!

Reviewed on 7/4/2022

Square makes it easy to run payroll and file taxes!

Pros

The fact that the taxes are filed is a huge relief for an employer, square stays on top of tax rate changes and notifies you if there are any tax rate changes being made for state or federal taxes.

Cons

I really don't have any cons, it's easy to use and meets my business payroll needs.

Alexandria K.

So easy to use

Reviewed on 31/12/2019

Square Payroll makes it so easy. I've heard so many horror stories about other payroll companies.

Pros

I love how easy it is to setup, add employees, and run payroll every week. I also love that they offer easy integrations with things like workers comp.

Cons

Honestly I haven't found anything I don't like about Square Payroll.

QuickBooks Payroll and Wave Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Square files all the taxes for me so it's the best bang for the buck.
Derek F.

Okay product, remove for improvement.

Reviewed on 14/6/2022

It does what I want it to do.

Pros

Payroll is simple...easy to process, get reminders if I don't submit.

Cons

I don't think the report feature is very easy. You have to download everything just to see the report. Why can't you run the report, and then download if it meets your needs?

Emoniel I.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Square Payroll review

Reviewed on 6/5/2022

Seamless and easy to use software for payments.

Pros

Very straightforward and easy to use software, allows for integration of mobile payments for small businesses!

Cons

No issues, it is simple and straightforward as it should be.

Jasmine C.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

The Must HAVE!

Reviewed on 11/6/2022

My overall experience with square it's good I love this app an will definitely continue to use it.

Pros

I like this app the most was because of the self service that they have it was very easy an simple to use. I haven't had trouble using it and this is my first time really using square payroll.

Cons

It would sometimes slow and freeze up on me maybe it was me.

Dani M.

User Friendly

Reviewed on 26/4/2022

Overall very easy and great for any device

Pros

I appreciate how clear the app is and easy to navigate around.

Cons

Sometimes confusing to log in and out for different users

Bryan H.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

The Perfect Solution for a Small Business Owner

Reviewed on 15/6/2021

We could not be happier with the Value of Square Payroll for our small business. It was exactly what our business needed and we love it. We were very nervous about taxes and getting folks paid correctly not being business owners before. Square Payroll made it incredibly easy to get setup, and then they just take care of it all. Then we get nice reports to get to my accountant, and all of the information you may need you can dowload at any time. It's an incredible value.

Pros

The ease of use and setup of Square Payroll was incredible. It honestly is a plug and play type of software. Being a new small business owner Square Payroll was exactly what we were looking for. It's also great to have a one stop shop. We use Square Point of Sale in our shop, and to be able to get all of the sales information as well as payroll information from the same place is incredibly convenient.

Cons

Our small business runs payroll once a month. We wanted to run payroll on the 15th of each month. Changing/customizing the date on the monthly payroll was not an option (monthly runs on the 1st of each month). Not a show stopper by any means.

QuickBooks Payroll and Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

We went with Square Payroll for the value and also already using square for our Point of Sale system it made it super convenient to have all in one place.
Chandra D.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Payroll Basics Covered

Reviewed on 28/8/2021

Other than the additional Square account, I am/was super happy with the software. Perfect for startups and small businesses. I highly recommend!

Pros

I loved that this was plug and play ready, user friendly and made payroll less of a headache. Tracking hours, schedules and pay was extremely easy and they handled all the government paperwork after set up. Reminders were super helpful and I never missed payroll deadlines.

Cons

I didn't like that I couldn't activate previously canceled plans. Since the pandemic caused me to temporarily shutdown I had to cancel the service to save the monthly fee. I was super disappointed that I had to create a NEW Square account just to get access to the plan again. In doing so, I had two locations, two Square accounts and double the headache of managing. Honestly this was one the biggest reasons I decided to switch to Zenoti to streamline everything into one account and make management easier.

Michelle J.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Effecient and Timely

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

My overall experience with payroll has been amazing. Even when my account was compromised, Square still made sure that my employees got paid.

Pros

Square is the most effecient product that I have ever used. I can make my appointments, and the fact that my team can clock in and out, make appointments, and get paid in a timely manner, leaves alot of the stress off of me as the owner. I can work in one program, I don't believe that Square is missing any features as far as payroll is concerned. Payroll pays my taxes for me and it pays it in a timely fashion.

Cons

Nothing bad that I can really say about square payroll.

ADP Workforce Now and DaySmart Salon

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

I heard that this product was better

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

It gave me everything they had but at a more economical price.
Amanda W.
  • Industry: Food Production

Happy with my purchase

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

Pros

The ease of use is the biggest pro for me. Requires very little prep work for me to prepare payroll, unlike other companies I have used in the past.

Cons

There is very little downside to Square Payroll, the only issue I have come across has been that I am not able to cancel or make any changes to payroll later in the week. There have been times where I have made an error and did not realize it until midweek and it is already too late to make any changes.

Francel P.

Reviewed on 15/6/2021

I am able to make Square Payroll our one stop shop. It files and pays our quarterly taxes, W-2's, Worker's Comp Insurance, Employee Benefits, and Wage Garnishments.

Pros

Square Payroll is super user friendly. It has a ton of features we use such as time tracking, direct deposit, and benefits.

Cons

I would prefer if we could change the cut off day time to a day later in the week but still allow for Friday direct deposits. Currently the cutoff is set to 11pm on Monday for a Friday direct deposit. Mondays are always super busy for us and there are many times I am unable to get payroll in on time, resulting in me having to write checks.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

The ease of use plus it is cheaper.
Louis C.

Square Payroll has proven a valuable solution to organizing and managing many vital aspects of...

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

We were pleasantly surprised by Square Payroll's deep feature set and found that this application can contain just about every aspect
of payroll function to employees. This application offers access for employees to individual accounts in order import hours worked and to create
reports regarding vacation hours or even company benefits to name a just few of many parameters.

Pros

We appreciated the inclusion of so many capabilities inside the Square Payroll application such as salary calculators which generate
accurate payroll rates individually or by group. This is one of many features Square Payroll offers through an easy to use front line
interface. Our team was also impressed with Square Payroll's ability to integrate with our third party operational management software
already in place. Synchronization is proven in most cases quite fluid. As Square Payroll supports mobile use on IOS and Android, access is
readily available for employees when remote.

Cons

With such an outstanding and comprehensive application , our team found Square Payroll's customer service difficult to contact
and almost as equally difficult to work with during our installation and integration phases. We are happy to report that this level
of service improved as we progressed with Square Payroll's application features. There is a rather robust and informed online forum that
is available where so many issues can be resolved thus improving client quality control levels.

Josie L.

Easy & Intuitive Payroll Software

Reviewed on 19/9/2016

Square's Payroll is insanely easy to use and navigate. I've been using it since Jan 1, 2015 and my only wish is that I started it sooner. I like that I can offer direct deposit to my employees and pick how often to pay them. They love it too because it's so simple, they don't have to worry about payroll. The backend for both me and my employees is also really easy to understand. I highly recommend it.

Pros

It's easy to use and understand. My employees said signing up and filling out their w-2 info was the easiest ever. Nobody had to ask me (or their Mom's!), it's direct and in plain English.
It calculates paid sick time for me (as per the new sick leave act in CA).
Submitting my quarterly federal tax returns and CA quarterly report of wages is also easy. It's so easy I don't even know how to do it because Square does it automatically for me!
Customer service is also great. One time I received a notice from EDD that I filed late, I called Square and they took care of it. My fee was waived, I haven't had an issue since.

Cons

I wish the Pay history offered more sorting options like their Sales information. I'd like to be able to see it by year, month, quarter, etc. I know Payroll is still kinda "new" so it wouldn't surprise me if this is offered later.

Richard B.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

I run my payroll on a bi-weekly basis. The use of this software means that I do not have to worry about filing the various and sundry state and local tax statements quarterly and annually. This is done automatically. I also do not have to figure out the various taxes to be withheld. The software does it. Although I have a small business, I can run payroll in less that five minutes. It doesn't matter if I am in my high season, or my low season, it takes the same amount of time because of the integration.

Pros

I own a small gelato shop. I use Square as my POS, my time card system and for my payroll. The integration of the products is seamless. The time card system allows the employee to clock in and out and that time flows right into the payroll. The time card system also allows me to add a lunch break or correct a timecard if someone forgot to clock in or out. The flow from timecards to payroll is a click of the button.

The payroll system also allows for individual benefits, both pre- and post-tax and both hourly or salaried employees.

The taxes are paid by Square and are calculated and paid on-time, removing a big headache for me. The tax reports are easily accessible and can be downloaded for those time when they are needed, like for PPP or other loans.

Cons

The only time that I have had to call support was to find out how to put in a post-tax benefit. That was not intuitive in the software, but very easily done once you knew which button to click.

Erica S.

Square has taken great care of us. Always there when we have questions. Simple to employees

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

1. Self controlled payroll (i.e. I can edit punches, see everything behind everyone's payroll).
2. Much faster/more efficient punches (no longer writing it down, having employees punch in and out on the ipad is so much easier).
3. I can do payroll from anywhere. I once did it on the top of Haleakala in Hawaii.

Efficient filing from payroll specialists, and being able to remove employees right away if they are no longer working for us.

Pros

1. The option to fix things right on your account. It makes accuracy and ease seamless. It is also very quick.
2. The customer support! Because I'm constantly on the go with my job, being able to send an email and receive an email response to my question makes it easy anytime and anywhere to get help. The responses are always knowledgable, patient, and consistent.
3. Being able to see the stats on our payroll is AMAZING. With previous payroll specialist it seemed like we didn't have the option to really see behind the scenes, but now we are able to see everything and every penny.

Cons

There are times that the software gets glitchy when people punch in and/or out (will say they punched in or out but didn't actually/will say they worked a different amount of hours than they actually worked). Employees can usually tell from the punch screen though if something went wrong. After letting me know, it is always an easy fix, but still a fix to have to take care of.

Mark N.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Love it

Reviewed on 23/5/2021

Pros

I love the ease of use and the affordability.

Cons

Better access to customer service. They seem focused on their retail cash register service than payroll.

Price

SurePayroll

Price and features
Duwayne H.
  • Industry: Restaurants

It doesn't get any easier than this!

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

Far less time setting up new employees, minimal time spent processing payroll and several hundred dollars a month in savings.

Pros

I love the simplicity of using Square payroll. It is simple to set up and to use. It is also one of the least expensive payroll options out there.

Cons

I wish that it had a simple way of looking up employee's wage history (when raises were given specifically)

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

to save money, simplify the process and to get away from the company we were working with.

simplicity and price

Best Bang for Your Buck, No Headaches

Reviewed on 15/6/2021

I completely set up the system, enrolled all my employees, and processed my first payroll in half the time it normally took me to run a pay period using my old system.

Pros

Hands-down is the high compliance standards for very low cost. Close runner-up reasons are ease of use, both from the employer side as well as the employee side. This software is really great, offers a lot of protection, and cuts my payroll processing manhours from tens of hours every week to roughly 45 mins of double-checking things before hitting "PROCESS". Seamless direct depositing, set-up and managed by the employees themselves (though I can go in and make changes if they need help - only had that happen once so far, but still important). Very very VERY intuitive if you have spent even a little time in any other payroll software (yes, including manual spreadsheets).

Cons

I haven't had a chance yet to test the multi-state or international aspects (assuming international even exists).

Donette O.

Square itself has been easy to use and mostly reliable.

Reviewed on 10/12/2017

Pros

The software is simple and pretty easy to use. Customer service is pretty strong and helpful with the exception of the payroll department.

Cons

The fact that an apple update, in which we couldn't control if the iPad updated EVEN when we had it set to "do not automatically update," completely messed up our system for a couple weeks was very inconvenient and was a total hinderance on our business. We had to wait for that second apple update to fix the issue but in the mean time we could't print receipts, use the reader, or open the drawer. It seems that Square should have made some kind of correction or glitch fix in the mean time to help their users continue using with ease.

Also the system has gone down completely in the past, and even though you all apologize... it still puts our business at risk when we can't complete transactions, harming our customers and our reputation. We should have been compensated for all of the trouble that we faced.

For payroll, it is extremely frustrating to not be able to talk to a live person when we have questions or issues. The customer service in the payroll department is not good.

Christy marie P.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Square Payroll makes it easy to run my small business

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

Using Square Payroll saved me money by eliminating the need for me to hire a CPA. It was easy to set up and any initial questions I had were answered promptly and efficiently by Square. I've used Square to run a restaurant with 10+ 1099 employees and now I use it to run a small marketing firm that employs all 1099 contractors. It takes me less than 10 minutes to run payroll and get my employees paid and I am extremely satisfied with the service.

Pros

Square Payroll was is the easiest, least complicated system I have found to run payroll. I used it for four years while owning a restaurant and it was simple to add new hires and remove employees who left the company. Square files your quarterly taxes, unemployment insurance, and workers comp with each payroll run so you don't have to visit and file in all the different portals. I never had any issues with getting my employees paid on time and Square offers multiple payment options which can be customized to work with each employee.

Cons

There's nothing about Square payroll that I don't like. Square continues to add new features to help me grow my business and make payroll a breeze.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

This is significantly easier/cheaper than big competitors

Reviewed on 21/8/2018

I joined in the beta testing and have loved it. It definitely helped us cut our administrative costs for payroll.

Pros

I love that I can run payroll in 10 minutes or less and that they file all the necessary paperwork. The cost is based per employee, which works for my business model. They have a new app for folks on the go, too. I've downloaded that, but not used it yet.

Cons

Editing timecards isn't too bad, however, you have to wait until the employee is clocked out to make the edit and it can be easy to get busy and forget. But sometimes the system doesn't let me add a timecard from scratch. The employee doesn't drop down in the menu so I have to go add the hours to an existing timecard. This isn't a big deal if you're not carefully monitoring costs, etc.

Also, my employees go back and forth between locations, so if they start at location 1 to pick supplies up and clock in there, they're clocked in at that location for the whole shift. I wish there was an option to select which location they're working at.