Square Payroll

4.6/5
4.4/5

Christy Marie
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Square Payroll makes it easy to run my small business

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

Using Square Payroll saved me money by eliminating the need for me to hire a CPA. It was easy to set up and any initial questions I had were answered promptly and efficiently by Square. I've used Square to run a restaurant with 10+ 1099 employees and now I use it to run a small marketing firm that employs all 1099 contractors. It takes me less than 10 minutes to run payroll and get my employees paid and I am extremely satisfied with the service.

Pros

Square Payroll was is the easiest, least complicated system I have found to run payroll. I used it for four years while owning a restaurant and it was simple to add new hires and remove employees who left the company. Square files your quarterly taxes, unemployment insurance, and workers comp with each payroll run so you don't have to visit and file in all the different portals. I never had any issues with getting my employees paid on time and Square offers multiple payment options which can be customized to work with each employee.

Cons

There's nothing about Square payroll that I don't like. Square continues to add new features to help me grow my business and make payroll a breeze.

QuickBooks Payroll
Nicole

Great Square Payroll Experience

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

I have had no issues with square payroll. All steps are timely with accurate calculations and filing of forms.

Pros

I appreciate square payroll reminders, ease of use, importing of time cards, calculations, etc. The set up makes it easy to use and follow.

Cons

I have experienced no issues at this time.

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

I choose square because I already use the Square POS system and I wanted everything integrated in one place.
Angie

Poor product and customer services

Reviewed on 20/5/2017

A lesson.

Pros

Clean and easy to use interface. Unfortunately that's all the positives I can think of after using it for more than 6 months.

Cons

1. Lots of mistakes - inaccurate state/city withholding at the beginning, even the dashboard numbers did not add up/balance (these were corrected after we raised the issues). A few months later, suddenly they double deducted certain taxes from our bank account for TWO consecutive payrolls (you'd think they would fix it after we raised the issue the first time). This is worrying as it makes us wonder if they actually got all the calculations behind the scene correctly.

2. Lack of reporting - no detail of when or what taxes have been paid. No actual PDF of all your tax forms (like form 940), only PDFs of tax forms in Square's own format are available. When we finally downloaded our state payroll forms directly from the state website, numbers on the forms are missing (Square said it's the state's problem).

3. Customer services is not great. We almost always have to repeat and explain our problems again because they would reply with some generic answers first and never really look into the specific problems when they receive your email. So you have to repeat and explain, and when they finally realize there were mistakes, they would not even contact you to let you know it is corrected (don't expect an apology).

With all the time wasted, the Square payroll is probably one of the worst software we've used. The interface is clean and nice and easy to use, but it stops there. Don't let it fool you. The rest is a nightmare.

Darlene

Great way to get paid!

Reviewed on 14/11/2022

My overall experience has been very pleasant. I am able to view all of my paycheck history in one spot and it is digital. Much better than a paper check.

Pros

I have a second job tutoring. My boss uses Square to pay me. I love how I will get notifications when I get paid.

Cons

I think this software is great. There is nothing missing. I have no suggestions for improvements.

Cham

Excellent once you get the hang of it

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

Pros

Square Payroll was easy to set up, and adding new employees is a very simple and fast process. Our employees have an online portal where they can edit their direct deposit details/address/withholdings/etc.
As the administrator I'm able to import their hours from third party programs as well (currently using T-Sheets)
The deadlines to submit payroll are clearly displayed, as well as the window of time when you can cancel or edit a submitted payroll.

Cons

For our company there are multiple pay rates depending on the work (regular hourly pay, drive time, etc.) When importing from T-Sheets I have to manually go through every time entry and specify what pay rate will be applied to each shift for every employee.
It's not possible either to change how direct deposits are labeled on the employee's bank statement. Instead of having my company name listed it just shows "SQUARE PAYROLL"

QuickBooks Payroll and ADP TotalSource

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

The pricing and set up process for Square Payroll was better than the competetors, and the features available fit comfortably with my company's needs.
Angie
  • Industry: Consumer Services

A key tool for my business to run successfully!

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

Square has taken the scary part out of running a business for me and made it simple and straightforward. I could not run my business without it.

Pros

Payroll and pay contractor features are excellent. The invoicing is very good as well. Those are the two things I use most from Square. But I also like the online booking, team management, and how items and services are highly customizable.
Overall it's all pretty easy to use with a few things that just have a bit of a learning curve.

Cons

I feel like the ability to go from one location to the other on the mobile app could be improved.
Also, I wish Square would integrate with timekeeping apps such as Clockify.
We work per hour but not per shift, the time-keeping abilities in Square seem to be geared more toward retail and restaurant industries.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

I like the interface for Square and also the pricing was a huge factor for me as a small start-up business.
William
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used for 6-12 months

User Friendly Payroll

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

As stated above, it's extremely user friendly. Much easier to setup then competitors I've looked into.

Pros

It's super helpful considering I utilize contractors when needed since my service business is still small. Extremely user friendly. And I love that you can issue payroll via Cash App.

Cons

Don't really have any complaints about Square Payroll.

Gusto and Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Easier to setup, more user friendly interface, and more cost effective for the size of my business.
Tiffany

The Simplicity of Payroll

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

My experience with using Square has been blissful and stressful at first. However, when all things fit perfectly, there were no problems, and the system has and will continue to work well for CSCB.

Pros

All of Square's features work so very well together.. A perfect match!

Cons

No problems to report other than HR learning how to navigate the software.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

Square fitted in perfectly with the Square products that CSCB had been using years prior.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Square was designed to assist small businesses to be just as great as bigger businesses. The ease of using Square products speaks volumes.
Atama
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great for Growing Small Business to pay contractors nd employees

Reviewed on 16/2/2021

Over experience is great. Im do not have difficultly using the platform and i so recoment it.

Pros

Easy to set up, easy to use, and great instructions on paying contractors. It was easy to each my office manager to run payroll and allow staff to remotely acess the platform for virtual work days.

Cons

Customer service need to be improved upon. If the company have issues it should be communictaed promptly to users.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Square gave us a multitude of options to fit our needs between paying contractors and switching to W2
Anjie
  • Industry: Veterinary

I have recommended Square Payroll numerous times.

Reviewed on 29/6/2022

It's been absolutely superb. It's quick and easy to use, and the customer service has been wonderful, especially for someone so out of their depth. I don't understand all the required parts of running payroll, and I need employees, so I rely on them to handle everything for me, and they do.

Pros

Like many small businesses, payroll is not something I know how to do. I needed a quick and easy way to handle this and still be in compliance with all the laws. It's a bit daunting, but Square Payroll made it so simple. I don't have to worry about anything because they handle everything with incredible efficiency.

Cons

I do wish I could have the vacation tracking be done simply by the month, and not by hours worked. My team gets vacation time based on the month they work instead of the hours because we have slow months where they don't work as many hours, but I still want them to have the benefit of that time off.

Louis

Square Payroll has proven a valuable solution to organizing and managing many vital aspects of...

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

We were pleasantly surprised by Square Payroll's deep feature set and found that this application can contain just about every aspect
of payroll function to employees. This application offers access for employees to individual accounts in order import hours worked and to create
reports regarding vacation hours or even company benefits to name a just few of many parameters.

Pros

We appreciated the inclusion of so many capabilities inside the Square Payroll application such as salary calculators which generate
accurate payroll rates individually or by group. This is one of many features Square Payroll offers through an easy to use front line
interface. Our team was also impressed with Square Payroll's ability to integrate with our third party operational management software
already in place. Synchronization is proven in most cases quite fluid. As Square Payroll supports mobile use on IOS and Android, access is
readily available for employees when remote.

Cons

With such an outstanding and comprehensive application , our team found Square Payroll's customer service difficult to contact
and almost as equally difficult to work with during our installation and integration phases. We are happy to report that this level
of service improved as we progressed with Square Payroll's application features. There is a rather robust and informed online forum that
is available where so many issues can be resolved thus improving client quality control levels.

Erica

Square has taken great care of us. Always there when we have questions. Simple to employees

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

1. Self controlled payroll (i.e. I can edit punches, see everything behind everyone's payroll).
2. Much faster/more efficient punches (no longer writing it down, having employees punch in and out on the ipad is so much easier).
3. I can do payroll from anywhere. I once did it on the top of Haleakala in Hawaii.

Efficient filing from payroll specialists, and being able to remove employees right away if they are no longer working for us.

Pros

1. The option to fix things right on your account. It makes accuracy and ease seamless. It is also very quick.
2. The customer support! Because I'm constantly on the go with my job, being able to send an email and receive an email response to my question makes it easy anytime and anywhere to get help. The responses are always knowledgable, patient, and consistent.
3. Being able to see the stats on our payroll is AMAZING. With previous payroll specialist it seemed like we didn't have the option to really see behind the scenes, but now we are able to see everything and every penny.

Cons

There are times that the software gets glitchy when people punch in and/or out (will say they punched in or out but didn't actually/will say they worked a different amount of hours than they actually worked). Employees can usually tell from the punch screen though if something went wrong. After letting me know, it is always an easy fix, but still a fix to have to take care of.

DuWayne
  • Industry: Restaurants

It doesn't get any easier than this!

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

Far less time setting up new employees, minimal time spent processing payroll and several hundred dollars a month in savings.

Pros

I love the simplicity of using Square payroll. It is simple to set up and to use. It is also one of the least expensive payroll options out there.

Cons

I wish that it had a simple way of looking up employee's wage history (when raises were given specifically)

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

to save money, simplify the process and to get away from the company we were working with.

simplicity and price
KK

full function, price-friendly

Reviewed on 17/4/2018

Save a lot of time and figure out a lot of things via this one platform. Can check the sales and manage the customer anytime via one device.

Pros

This app offers a series of services, covering lot of services about marketing promotions, employee payroll, sales report and the customer management. I like its convenience of operating the whole store and simplify the management procedures via only set up some services. I can directly contact customer via the loyalty program and quickly gain some feedback for better improvement for the product and service. Additionally, it offers some beautiful design templates for the e-gift card, which save some cost in printing out paper gift card and design fee.

Cons

The customer service is just OK because sometimes it didn't email you back in time. Square mostly will lead you to the community to see how your problem can be fixed. It did waste some time to find a related correct way to fix the problem or get an answer for the question.

Gregory
  • Industry: Publishing

Leave Payroll Processing to the Experts at Square and Focus on Front Line Business Management

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

I was an original beta client of Square when I opened my office in San Francisco many years ago. Now I live and work in Colorado and find the cross sector platforms of running a business so seamless and intuitive. Also in the age of remote working, now I do not fear hiring either 1099'ers or employees as Square Payroll serves as the HR master in compliance.

Pros

For decades I have used a variety of platforms to process payroll. Since I already use Square on the frontline as a merchant services platform, it makes sense to use the payroll application to keep transactions simple and easy.

Cons

The only con that I have experienced was with a third party vendor that offered insurance services as part of the add-ons. It was a short lived and minor crisis and we have found a solution.

Keenan

I LOVE Square payroll! No more worrying about compliance issues!

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

My overall experience has been awesome! Great support, fair price, easy to use and it's integrated into all of my other systems. During the pandemic, Square made it extremely easy to file for PPP loans because they had all of my financial info already.

Pros

I love that Square Payroll tracks all of my employee time, can be used from any device and best of all, they file all required regulatory paperwork for me so I don't have to. Huge fan, I use it for 2 companies I own currently.

Cons

I can't think of anything I haven't liked so far...

Mary
  • Industry: Translation & Localisation

Phenomenal!

Reviewed on 4/12/2017

The benefits, saves you alot of time, money, and customer support are there when you need them, if you need them, SQUARE dashboard is so friendly user that there is no way you will need customer support.

Pros

I am the owner of a small business and just recently hired a Contractor. I was so excited to find out that Square had this feature for Direct Deposit to pay the Contractor not only that but they also take care of the 1099 form as well. I have been using Square to take payments over the phone, through the Virtual Payment and my sales have increase, I love the features about sending an email to request payments and reminders, the Dashboard is so friendly user that I am able to navigate anywhere with no issues, no questions, no doubts. I love the people behind it for making this process way to easy for people like me that hate complications. Thank you, Square. No one competes with you. I love you!

Dena

Good software at a great price

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

Pros

The software is very user friendly, which is a major plus of the software. I like that you can add Memos to the paystubs now. This is a nice feature. Also the software's features are of a great value for the services provided.

Cons

I do not like that you cannot generate complete timecard spreadsheets which include the date, start and end times for each day for a specified time period. You can download individual timecards for any given day, and you can generate a spreadsheet with the total number of hours worked for a given time period, but you cannot generate a single spreadsheet which includes the date, start and end times for every single date in the time range. I have addressed this with Square support and have asked for this to be something considered in software updates. Employers in CA are required to maintain timecards for their employees so it would be very convenient if Square could add this feature to the software. Having to download each individual day's timecards is rather burdensome. Also, Customer Service has not always been very helpful. Sometimes I just get a cut and paste with the rep which does not address my specific inquiry.

Johnny

Good but it can be better.

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

Not having to file some of my own business documents

Pros

I like that it is so easy to charge our customers and I also like that we can create invoices, emails, feedback, etc. I also like how your staff sends resources via email to try to help ,e

Cons

Staff need to be more knowledgeable and familiar w/ their area of expertise so that they assist us better when we have any issues. Also, when I try to create recurring invoices for clients, it will not accept them but it will accept the transaction through point of sale. Also, my employees are in a union and I feel like having to manually input my employees union fees takes a lot of effort

Sarah
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

So easy for one location

Reviewed on 23/5/2021

Pros

Square Payroll is so simple to use, it takes minutes to complete payroll now. If you have one location I highly recommend it.

Cons

You cannot pull different location’s payroll from different bank accounts, square only allows one bank account for payroll.

Harold
  • Industry: Legal Services

Enjoying All the Benefits of Having a Reliable Payroll System, without the Headache

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

Pros

Square payroll makes such a complicated and time consuming task or managing payroll a simple task .

Cons

Square Payroll actively build and design their software to be better on a quarterly basis. If something was missing, shortly later, they would have integrated it into their software. I have most of the features I need for my employees, i.e. commissions, PTO, Tips, etc.

Cameron

Gets rid of the headache

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

It was a lifesaver when we first implemented it. I was struggling to do payroll by myself. I'm not a details person and the software took care of all of it for me. It was perfect!

Pros

The payroll services makes things easy and removes the headache and compliance worries.

Cons

Haven't found any issues that are troublesome. It's working great for us.

Holly
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Square Payroll make it easy for employers!

Reviewed on 7/4/2022

Square makes it easy to run payroll and file taxes!

Pros

The fact that the taxes are filed is a huge relief for an employer, square stays on top of tax rate changes and notifies you if there are any tax rate changes being made for state or federal taxes.

Cons

I really don't have any cons, it's easy to use and meets my business payroll needs.

Roger
  • Used for 6-12 months

We've had some issues with duplicate employees which ends up with missed assigned tokens....

Reviewed on 14/11/2017

We use Square for our POS, Marketing, Loyalty, Gift Cards, Capital so adding Payroll was a no brainer if it had the features and functionally we needed. And so far it has.

Pros

We came over for years of using Quicken Online Payroll. Square is a little more expensive, but handles more with is less work for us. Also the integration with Homebase is a plus. Now that we can actually talk to someone in Square Payroll Support is a BIG plus. We had a ongoing issue for a while and Lauren came to the rescue! We started using in Jan '17 to try for a year, and are going to stay. Square has been good about implementing new features.
Speaking of features, it would be nice to run a payroll for the iPhone dashboard app. We where able to do this with Quicken. Not a deal breaker but definitely a plus.

Cons

The only real issue is adding a New employee. One would think you would start by adding the new employee from within payroll (which I did for some time) When I signed up I didn't remember seeing any instructions on such. After much trial and error, and many support calls I think we have the correct steps down.

Andrea

Recommend for Payroll

Reviewed on 8/11/2021

Pros

Very low price, I feel like it is definitely worth it. The support you receive is really beneficial and I also like that I can have great accessibility from my iPhone.

Cons

The user experience wasn't the easiest at the beginning, it did change after a month or so. Very very basic reports.