CAKE POS

Online Point of Sale (POS) software solution for restaurants

4.6 /5 (388 reviews) Write a Review!

Braden M.

Who Doesn't LOVE CAKE?

Reviewed on 30/3/2021

The data that CAKE provides me is incredibly valuable to our business. We love it!

Pros

We don't spend any time on training new team members to use our POS System (CAKE). Seriously, it's so easy we show them a few features and they are running it like a pro on day one. That in it's self has saved us a ton of payroll we use to spend on training.
From a ownership perspective, we have four locations and I'm able to track them from my central office, Wonderful!

Cons

Negatives only fall on one piece of the equipment. The cash drawer and the insert in it are not built for the type of abuse they can take in some operations. I wish there was an option to purchase extra drawer inserts.
There are no other negatives about CAKE.

Amy B.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

You won't regret this business partnership!

Reviewed on 14/4/2021

Very impressed with everything - the hardware, software and team of staff have all been great

Pros

We went thru a total of 7 product demos before selecting CAKE. Hands down was the most inclusive and best reporting features for our Bar / Restaurant / Bowling Alley. The couple times I have had questions, I've had great support and resolution very quickly. I'm not a tech person, and this was a super easy install and implementation for me to do with the rep over the phone. My menu build was very quick and the questions I have had since original upload have been answered quickly.

Cons

The only issue I have had is occasionally something will disappear that I know I have added as a modifier. Unsure if its a glitch, but it's been so minor that we haven't been inconvenienced at all.

Alicia S.

Restaurant

Reviewed on 8/6/2017

It helps a lot by keeping track of your sales.

Pros

The CAKE system is a lot more convenient than using a little old-fashioned register. It's a very helpful system. Keeping up with orders is way more convenient and we love being able to have a count of what you're selling at the end of the day. We can see what's being sold and what's being given away and at the end of the day, you can really see a breakdown of the profit. Any other system can't really do that. It's definitely helped us see what things are popular and what's not great sellers so we can give our customers more of what they want, and it makes it easier to see what staff is not selling and giving away for free. It's just a very convenient, helpful register and I've seen other businesses using it and there are so many different settings in the program for bigger facilities. If someone doesn't have this program, they don't know what they're missing. It just makes everything so much easier, and I've dealt with plenty of registers before. This is as simple as it gets. I'd recommend it to anyone

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you Alicia for your great review of CAKE! We have to agree, old-fashioned registers are so last century. CAKE is glad Anthony¿s Mediterranean has the information and tools you need to streamline your operations and improve your business. We appreciate your glowing review and we¿ll keep working hard to earn your praise.

Kyle K.

Love CAKE!

Reviewed on 21/10/2020

Pros

My restaurant has been open for 4 years. We started with CAKE POS, and have no plans of switching anytime soon! Never had any issues with the hardware, still using the same touchscreen units. Software has been great, never crashes or loses data or info etc. Very user friendly, straightforward. I have personally programmed our menus and modifiers. We use order pads, just the same as base POS, no learning curve there. We added Guest Manager last year, that has been a great addition. CAKE is constantly updating the software, trying to make it better and more beneficial for their customers. Customer Service has always been Fantastic any and every time I have called with any questions, concerns or issues. I recently had a great experience with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. Definitely recommend CAKE!

Cons

Honestly I can't really think of anything glaring. At times we were like "why can't we split a single food item between two guest." But customer service always offered a solution, even temporary, while developers were working on updates for small complaints like that from customers.

Anna S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Very easy to use and very convenient. Takes a lot of the stress out of inventory control.

Reviewed on 23/8/2017

Piece of mind. It made things easier so I was able to relax about the POS system and focus on other things.

Pros

Conversation Summary/Sample Review:
When we opened our restaurant, we were worried about inventory control. Our sandwiches are all about choice which means a lot of different modifiers. CAKE has made keeping up with those modifiers and inventory a lot easier. We check every week to see what's selling, so we can manage what we need to have. We were doing a festival this year and thanks to this system, I was able to go in and check last year's numbers so we knew exactly what to stock this year. I've also used the information from the reports to do our taxes. I especially like that I can change anything from my laptop at home, so if I wake up at 2 AM and forgot something I can do it right away instead of waiting until I'm back in the restaurant. There aren't really many problems but every time I have one I just call and it's usually fixed.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

CAKE is happy we're keeping Sharp's Deli running smoothly and our Point of Sale gives you the freedom to modify sandwiches your way. Making taxes, ordering, and managing remotely possible are all pieces of CAKE! Thank you for the great review, we're glad there's nothing negative to say, and if there is, please get in touch right away.

Todd N.

Reviewed on 1/12/2017

When there is an issue, and it is rare, it is fixed quickly. Could use a merge check feature but I'm sure it's coming soon

Pros

Prior to CAKE, I just used Square. The two major issues were that it was more expensive for processing, and we also had issues with the connection. CAKE is much easier now. We've only had one issue in 18 months and that was on our end. It's definitely made things a lot easier for us, like looking back year over year particular days, so we can see holiday week sales and things like that. For payroll it's all in one place, which we like. It's definitely easy to make any changes to the menu, and it's easier on the staff which makes it faster for the customer. It's just really easy to use and I've recommended it to several other people

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Todd, we¿re glad to hear that Smokin¿ Toad¿s BBQ is having a great experience with CAKE Point of Sale since switching from Square. CAKE is proud to offer one low processing rate that is among the lowest in the industry! CAKE Point of Sale is a robust, stable system so we¿re glad you haven¿t had many issues. If you need faster support, [email protected] is always available to answer your questions. We¿ll pass along your merge check feature to development, thank you for taking the time to review CAKE!

Amanda C.
  • Industry: Restaurants

We've been using CAKE since we opened two years ago and it has been a great asset to our...

Reviewed on 20/2/2018

Accurate business analysis and efficiency for serving staff.

Pros

Everything! This POS is user friends for all levels of employees from servers to managers. It is very intuitive and allows for easy corrections to common errors. The training mode is wonderful for new employees, and the visual seating map is a life saver. As a manager, the selection of Reports is phenomenal. I am able to compare sales, cost and labor day to day, month to month or year to year. Conducting monthly payroll is very easy due to the Time Clock reports that include Breaks, Meals and Individual Tips. Although this CAKE is simple in some ways, it is comprehensive in others. I know that we still have a long way to go before we truly understand the scope of this products versatility and usefulness, but we are always coming across new applications for this POS everyday.

Cons

So far the Cons are very limited. In some areas it is very specific and if an items is not set up properly, it can effect our efficiency in getting out proper products or printer accurate receipts. So far that is the only thing we have had to be very aware of.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

CAKE is glad to hear Garibaldi Portside Bistro sees CAKE as a great asset to your restaurant. Our Point of Sale makes it easy for you to train new employees, view vital reports, and keep track of monthly payroll.

We encourage you to reach out to [email protected] to get technical support to troubleshoot your printer issue. Thank you for your excellent review of CAKE.

Hamid K.

Restaurant Manager

Reviewed on 2/10/2018

The overall experience has been good so far. 85% of the time the customer service has been able to resolve our issues right away with few occasions when they needed more time to consult their technical team asking their engineers to review the issue to get back to us.

Pros

24/7 customer service is the best option enabling us to call and receive customer support at any time. We have contacted support line many times and the longest we have waited, so far, has bee 3 minutes. We have not used any other software in the past to compare it with, but it has been useful and reliable so far.

Cons

Though customer service is available 24 / 7 and they are courteous, the software seems to be limited and their process does not allow their engineers to add some of the required features necessary/important to the individual businesses. They require multiple business requests before they look into adding some features.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Hi Hamid, thanks for your review! We pride ourselves on our 24/7 customer support and are glad to hear you have found it useful. We understand that there are always features and ways that we can improve, so we do appreciate the feedback that you have been providing and seriously take all customer feedback into account as we plan for new feature updates. Thank you for your patience and we appreciate your business.

Scott A.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Best people to work with from sales to support

Reviewed on 13/6/2018

Ease of training new staff and programming it.This software has saved me so many hours of work between programming it with menu and making changes,to training new people . Being able to make changes on any computer while open is a huge plus.

Pros

Ease of use for staff and for us to program.Always works never seems to go down. They do try to add options when requested if it's possible .love that you can process credit cards when internet is down as it saves info for later.Also can view info from phone or computer when away from my restaurant.

Cons

Reports currently only go back 100 days but they are working to change that.The Time clock dosnt export to quick books would help as we do our own payroll

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thanks, Scott! We strive to make things easier for our customers, from setup to running your business day to day. We are always working to improve, and will pass on your feedback about reports and time clock to our Product Team.

Mary S.

Happy with it.

Reviewed on 16/1/2018

Pros

Being able to set system up so it saves having to special instruct different things on our menu. Being able to make changes off-site when something needs to get changed. The ease of entering new employees, deleting employees, doing payroll and seeing who is working at any time.

Cons

Felt kind of lost at first when starting out without a person on site to answer questions. Getting the system wired was a little scary. We had a pos system before so wiring was done and helped us a lot. Would not have wanted to attempt that on my own. Felt overwhelmed at first with entering all the information and getting things set up the right way.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

CAKE is happy Mary's Cafe has learned how to get the most out of our POS system. CAKE does offer on-site installation and training to ensure your restaurant has a seamless transition. We hope you continue to onboard new employees easily, and perform payroll effortlessly. We ensure a system that anyone can setup and get trained on in less time. We appreciate you taking the time to write, thank you for choosing CAKE!

Lachelle C.

We started with Leapset (now CAKE) it's simple

Reviewed on 18/10/2017

It's easy to use. the CAKE staff is always updating and changing the software to make things easier.

Pros

The simplicity of it. It fits our menu well. It is easy for our servers to place orders to the kitchen. The tickets in the kitchen are easy to read.

Cons

sometimes the editing or menu management is difficult to figure out. I always feel bad when I don't actually have a software problem and have to call support. I do wish that the tickets in the back could print in red and black so that our carry out orders would be easier to disinghish.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

CAKE makes it easy for restaurants like Back 40 Texas BBQ to place orders and send them directly to the kitchen. We can definitely help with your menu management and editing issue. Please contact us at [email protected],com or browse our tutorials at CAKE University (https://university.cake.net/) Thank you for serving your BBQ with CAKE!

Tina D.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Best POS system and easy to teach others

Reviewed on 16/8/2020

Best POS I have ever worked with. I have operated several systems in different restaurants including Shoney's, Hemmingway's Bass Pro, and small businesses

Pros

Making menu changes for specials from my phone. Ability to check daily reports in bed at the end of the day. East to program. Easy to train even the slowest of people

Cons

Sometimes updates would change a feature. After one such change, it became hard for servers to check a little box for "To-Go" to print on kitchen tickets. They would chose the to-go category instead of dine in, but for that instruction to print, another box had to be checked. Otherwise, it just printed up where the table number would be. And, line cooks don't look at the table numbers.

Darrell V.

Attention Restaurant Operators

Reviewed on 6/10/2020

The customer service is top noch.

Pros

The ease of use.
A new hire is easy to get up to speed .
Easy to go from screen to screen.
Easy to split checks.

Cons

Actually I have nothing negative. It's easy to understand and use

Megan H.

Really like the software

Reviewed on 9/3/2018

Pros

It has made my life easier. It is easy to train employees. It is very user friendly. The reports are awesome.

Cons

Apply Pay and others are not accepted yet. Customers are getting to the point where they only want to use that, especially with their young kids. I think communication could be clearer but have only run into this once or twice.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you Megan for your great review of CAKE Point of Sale. We're glad life is easier for you at the Blue Dot Cafe since switching over. CAKE makes solutions that are simple for new and veteran staff alike to learn without extensive training.

We will include Apple/android/samsung pay in a future hardware release. We're currently testing our "Payment Cube" hardware on our legacy POS hardware, which would give operators the ability to use both Apple Pay and EMV capabilities.

Jeff K.

cake review

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

Pros

the order menu is very easy to use and learn quickly. the drop down menus are easy to understand. the shortcuts help a lot. new users are still able to use the system while they learn the best and most efficient ways to place orders.

Cons

would be nice to have some more control from my office, but many of the issues have been addressed and added over the last 3 years. also would be nice to change how things are printed to the kitchen, especially the order of things

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you, Jeff! We strive to make our solutions user friendly for our customers, so glad to hear we're doing a good job. We appreciate the feedback on having more remote functionality into the system. As you have seen, we are always improving and incorporating new features, so stay tuned!

Carrie J.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Being able to track sales right down to the sprinkles on donuts is pretty amazing!

Reviewed on 19/10/2017

Keeping a much more detailed summary on sales. Also clocking in for employees is great.

Pros

Understanding how sales match inventory. Easy to close cash for your business day. Training for new employees is just a walk through and they have it!

Cons

There is no category for showing what paid outs are for. I also feel it is quite pricy for any added products such as ipads for ordering in line.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

CAKE dreams of a world where every new hire can work like a pro, and we're happy the Donut Corral's employees get up and running with CAKE Point of Sale in minutes. We do plan to add categories for payouts in future releases, and your software will be automatically updated when it launches. Thank you for taking the time to review CAKE.

Eric F.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Best POS software on the market

Reviewed on 11/3/2020

Cake point of sale puts all my management duties into one easy to use station. For allocating costs, to tracking labor and other cost percentages, to tracking payroll, inventory, and sales by item, this tool is a restaurant managers dream.

Pros

It’s function ability. It allows to me edit my menu, check my labor costs at any part of the day, calculate food cost, percentages, track my best selling dishes, it is an all and 1 absolute game changer for the restaurant industry. I absolutely love it.

Cons

The ONLY drawback is that it is marketed exclusively through Sysco. Now while many restaurants use Sysco for delivery, they will all tell you that the company itself can drop the ball a lot, and be very costly to your business. The only thing that stops this from being a five star product is that you can only get it being attached to Sysco, which comes with price gouging, inconsistent deliveries, and poor customer service/

Mike G.

Easy and Cost Effective

Reviewed on 18/3/2019

Pros

Cake is extremely user friendly. My employees learned how to use it in about 5 minutes. Also, the pricing makes it great for small businesses. Lastly, the support is wonderful. After almost 3 years of having cake, we have yet to experience any problems.

Cons

Nothing. Everything is wonderful. I have recommended it to other independent restaurants

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thanks so much, Mike, for your review! Extremely user friendly, and your employees learned to use it in 5 minutes, wow - love hearing that your experience was a piece of CAKE. Thank you for being a loyal customer, we appreciate you and your business!

Morgan H.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Cake made our life easier

Reviewed on 29/7/2019

We've been using cake POS system for a couple years now and I've been very happy with it. Wish that we had the income to bring in the pads because that would have made things so much easier.

Pros

Customer support, and ease-of-use. I love the fact that customer service helped us quickly and efficiently.

Cons

Would like it if the payroll would have a marker showing paid and not paid.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you for your kind words Morgan.

As we strive to continually be an easy to use Point of Sale, we are glad to hear that we made your life easier!

Also, we will definitely be giving a shout-out to our Customer Support team for being quick and efficient.

Thomas Y.

CAKE is the Best

Reviewed on 1/2/2021

Excellent

Pros

The hand held feature is terrific and the service is seamless.

Cons

I planned on keeping my old POS equipment for a backup, but was so pleased with CAKE that I sold all the old equipment.

Fred S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great system, stable, 8 months in and still no problem. Great customer service.

Reviewed on 23/8/2017

You get your monies worth and isn't this what you want?

Pros

Easy of use, straightforward and easy to adjust things on the fly without messing up everything else in the system. Customer screen is fantastic since you don't have to flip the screen back and forth. Guests don't feel pressured to tip since all happens on their side. Reports are great and very neat.

Cons

We don't have anything that we don't like about it but if this system could integrate 3rd party vendors such as UberEats, Postmates etc then it would be tremendous.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you Fred for your awesome review! We do offer online Ordering and actually have asked one of our Customer Success Manager to reach out to you to see if it's a good fit. You can also visit CAKE University to see your online ordering options.

(https://university.cake.net/Special:Search?path=&q=online%20ordering) We¿re glad the dual displays streamline things for your customers and employees. Reporting is something we¿re pretty proud of too!

Sonja S.

Renewal of the contract

Reviewed on 6/8/2018

The Cake POS system is showing me in detail the sales of each item in an easy format. I am very impressed on having this as an owner.

Pros

Its made for restaurants and has a diverse application for what I need to make my business efficient.

Cons

There is more applications I can use and my time is limited for implementing them. I would like to have online support to go through these applications.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you, Sonja, for your kind review! If you ever have any questions about various applications or integrations with your CAKE Point of Sale, you can contact support any time at (650) 215-7777.

Ralph L.

After initial setup and learning time, smooth operation

Reviewed on 13/12/2017

meets most of our needs

Pros

Great amount of flexibility, the best product we have seen or tried, we have looked at and had demos of others and this fit our operation the best.

Cons

some delay in correcting some issues attempts were made and some temporary fixes were made but we had to wait for the next update.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you for taking the time to review CAKE. We are glad the Fruit Bowl has had smoother operations since choosing our our Point of Sale. If the update didn't fix your issue, please contact [email protected] to get help resolving this or issue you experience going forward.

Karen V.

Cake Review

Reviewed on 18/5/2020

The ease of which the menu can be amended as well as tracking time sheets of employees and cost analysis of employees vs sales,

Pros

The ability to pull up reports and receipts from months an years gone past

Cons

When refunding a credit card for a mistake and not being able to recharge it without the physical card

Matt K.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Easy to set-up, durable hardware, good support

Reviewed on 23/5/2017

Pros

Easy to manage web interface (don't have to be at the POS) to set-up/change items
Durable hardware, no issues with 2 years of use
Tech/Customer support is quick and friendly

Cons

Can't hold a credit card by swiping it and returning it to a customer(keep a tab open)
Reports can only be performed in 3 month/90 day increments

Response from CAKE, a Sysco Company

Hey Matt, glad to hear our restaurant-proof hardware is still going strong after two years! We do offer quick reports for today, yesterday, this week, last 7 days, this month, and last month, as well as custom date ranges. Please check out this link from CAKE University to learn more about customized reporting. https://university.cake.net/Point_of_Sale/Daily_Use/Understanding_Reports