Canopy

Practice management software for accounting firms

4.2/5
4.3/5
4.5/5
4.5/5

John

Great product extraordinary customer support!

Reviewed on 30/5/2018

In it's fully developed form this product would be second to none! At the moment we use the product primarily for form population and transcript reports.

Pros

Integrated Form population - detailed client survey - transcript reports - assistant for innocent spouse and penalty abatement

Cons

no chronological record per client to record calls and history of actions taken - no integrated calendar per user per client integrated to a record showing actions taken - email is not very functional or user-friendly at this point.

Jessie

Love Canopy, worth every penny

Overall wonderful

Pros

I love that everything is all in one place. Document storage, document sharing with clients, timer, invoicing, reports, task management, procedures (we use sub-tasks to lay out the steps in a task with notes on how to do each step), transcripts etc. I have recently started to use the letter templates to respond to IRS letters and they make my life so much easier. I also really love the client request feature that automatically reminds my client that I am waiting on something.

Cons

Small things, like I can lose track of tasks if I fail to assign them to someone. This could be easily avoided by looking at the task list in its entirety, but I find it most useful on a day to day basis to look at only tasks that belong to me, or only tax returns that need to be done, or only tasks that belong to the bookkeeper etc. I have to remember to occasionally look at all the tasks and then I realize that I missed something. I also find that the software is not as keyboard friendly as I would like, I have to do a lot of clicking to accomplish things.

BigTime

Reasons for Choosing Canopy

To combine everything into one program

QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Drake Tax
Josie

Disappointed

Reviewed on 6/12/2021

Canopy seems to have lost its way in regards to its purpose. Their response to issues is slow, at best. We have been using the software for almost 4 years and have made the painful decision to change due to a lack of support and increased pricing.

Pros

We liked the ability to access the software/information from anywhere.

Cons

The software does not allow you to export a sorted contact list. A very simple option that has been neglected.

Deniz
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Solve many jobs in a short time with Canopy...

Reviewed on 30/11/2022

I've been using Canopy for a 1 year now and I absolutely love it. The software is amazing, it works perfectly for my needs and it integrates well with the rest of our system. It's very easy to use, has a great interface and a huge range of features.

Pros

I had been looking for a simple accounting solution to help me manage my clients' invoices, and discovered this product. It is simple, easy to use, and has a ton of features. Within a few months, I was able to set up my clients' invoices in a matter of minutes, and start using it. I also turned it into a project management tool.

Cons

Canopy has proven to be a robust and reliable solution that has helped streamline our document management processes, and it works well with our accounting software. The interface is very easy to use, the adaptation time to the software is very short, and it worked smoothly.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for this amazing feedback, Deniz!

Ronda
  • Industry: Accounting

Canopy - our new best friend

Reviewed on 28/12/2022

Our experience with Canopy has been a very positive one. Their customer support is excellent. I have appreciated them reaching out to us to see how we are doing certain tasks and we are able to give them suggestions for change. I would recommend this product to other firms outside our demographic. I don't want the competition to have the advantage we have with Canopy!

Pros

We switched from Office Tools to Canopy over 2 years ago. The implementation and data transfer was almost seamless. The mobile app and client portal have been invaluable to our client base. We were implementing Canopy before COVID so when the shut downs hit we were already ahead of the game for being digital for everything with a portal and app that worked and was easy for our client base to use.

Cons

I wish the reporting was more accurate so our utilization rates were a better reflection. It would nice to customize reports for what the firm values with certain items.

Sandeep

Perfect Solution for CPAs

Reviewed on 4/1/2023

Fantastic -- my workflow, project/task management, document retrieval/editing/sharing etc.

Pros

Frankly, I purchased Canopy in November of 2019 when I opened up my practice in my home office, and didn't have a full grasp of it as the pandemic hit. 3+ years later - with much of the transition in the last few months - I can't imagine my practice without Canopy. The interface is super user-friendly, there are many options providing the user with a more personalized approach.

Cons

Sometimes certain shortcuts aren't available, or the desktop software errors etc. but it's small things and so far I've managed fine; needless to say Canopy is continuously improving so (not a con) once the "Print" or "Save" option directly to Canopy was available and my contacts were set integrated with emails etc. it's been a breeze.

Aimee
  • Industry: Accounting

Great software - even for those in a solo practice.

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

I have tired other softwares and this one has been a great fit and easy to adopt.

Pros

The document storage and communication tools.

Cons

A little pricey for all the bells and whistles.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback, Aimee.

Kailee

GREAT PRODUCT- Depth of Use

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

Record keeping is great. I will look into how I can expand use for our firm since we use primarily as a client portal with work flow management and document storage.

Pros

Canopy is great to use to keep client information safe and secure. With such advancements in technology, it is imperative to have a platform like this where the information can be conveniently accessed by both the users and clients, active or archived... it's just great.

Cons

No difficulty at all... I just wish all clients will utilize this platform... I may have to require them to do so!

Jamie
  • Industry: Accounting

Great, easy and convenient for all of our needs.

Awesome

Pros

File sharing and ease of uploading from anywhere.

Cons

Time tracker is my least favorite as it's hard to remember to turn it off sometimes.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for your feedback, Jamie! We'd like to make the product as functional as possible. Send us your input about the time tracker here: https://feedback.getcanopy.com/

Shellsea

Canopy is Great

Reviewed on 8/12/2022

very satisfied as this has added a lot of value to our company very quickly.

Pros

Document storage and sharing is easy as clicking on button. clients being able to pay online and having the ability to track time and easily add it to an invoice is very important to us.

Cons

There are a lot of features that could be added to make the software much better for us and working with the support team they say that features will be added however its been over a year an none of the features we need have been added. fingers crossed.

Scott
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Thomson Reuters File cab vs Tax Canopy

Reviewed on 27/6/2022

Within two weeks of starting my 30 day free trial, I had it set up (so I could evaluate the details and functionality) and decided to switch from Thomson Reuters File Cab. Another local CPA had also finished his vetting process so Tax Canopy already came highly recommended.

Pros

Free support - chat in or ph call. Templates for global folder creation. Once this is figured out, you can populate new client files with all the needed folders in less than 30 seconds. Using "Tags" to identify clients to send email blasts inside Canopy - brilliant! Unlimited file storage. Thomson Reuters charges me which is odd in this day and age with super affordable data storage. Annotations to files (i.e. PDFs) without paying for an ADobe license. Client portals. I've used other portal software, including the Thompson Reuters VO portal, but Canopy has this down to simple science. The Desktop Assistant allows you to edit live Word and Excel files.

Cons

File migration from File Cab. I wrote a how-to process sheet for my firm so this is doable just time-consuming. Don't let that deter you as it is part of the pain to switch from one software to another. We also are ditching Thomson Reuters Practice CS (i.e. their time and billing software) for the one inside Canopy. The invoicing and reporting are much weaker in Canopy compared to Practice CS so this is a problem but wasn't a deal-breaker. Canopy has assured me that better reports are forthcoming and I trust Canopy.

Nicole

Review of Canopy - 1 month in

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

I like Canopy and I'll continue to use it. I'm glad I'm working on the conversion in November rather than Feb/March. I expect to have everything perfect by the chaos of tax season.

Pros

I love the portal and the client/entity set up. I love that everything related to my workflow is in Canopy (except the tax return). It's very nice to have everything in one system.

Cons

The syncing with QBO hasn't been as easy as I'd like, but that may be an Intuit issue as well. There are issues when duplicate clients are created and you merge them. If the client was already linked in Canopy, that link is broken and I don't know how to recreate it. I hear that a function to sync specific clients in Canopy is coming soon and that should resolve my issue.

I haven't been able to pull a transcript yet. I keep getting "Pull Failed". I'm not sure if this in an IRS issue or Canopy. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

TaxDome and Karbon

Reasons for Choosing Canopy

I wanted a system that did everything. Canopy has the CRM, task management and the document management together. The tax transcripts functionality was a big deciding factor as well.

SmartVault and Insightly

Reasons for Switching to Canopy

TaxDome didn't have the tax transcripts. Karbon looked very complicated.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Canopy is a good option- not sure if they are the best though.

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

On a scale of 1-10, I would say it is a 6.5 or a 7. There are many functions that make this very easy to use, however, as time passes the development team decides to take the ease of use and make it more challenging. Too much focus on making the interface "pretty" and not enough on actual items that make productivity better.

Pros

The product is simple to use. However, Canopy likes to make changes to items that do not need any changes. In doing so, they break their own system for several days and the new function isn't worth the hassle. Transcripts are now significantly more complicated and time-consuming to get to.

Cons

The fact that the backend team decides to make changes as to what they think is best for the client. Most of their changes do not have any positive effect on how we operate the practice and only make things more challenging and frustrating to use.

Tyler
  • Industry: Wholesale

Change for the Better!

Reviewed on 11/6/2022

My experience with Canopy is amazing I will never leave and i will invite all my friends and family

Pros

The thing that i liked the most about the software was that it was easy to use and it was also inexpensive.

Cons

I wish I could use more charts in the software but besides that it is amazing

Karen

Game changer

Reviewed on 29/12/2021

Pros

We luckily chose Canopy as our client portal system pre-pandemic. When the shut down occurred, we were ready to continue servicing our clients during this very termultuous time. AS we move forward from the pandemic, our clients have found they like having a single source to share documents virtually. We as a firm continue to develop our skills in Canopy and now use it for engagement letters, tax documents and any communications with our clients

Cons

Wish there could be better isolation of reminder emails or emails when a client performs as action.

Jetpack Workflow and Ignition

Reasons for Switching to Canopy

Pricing, ease of use and setup
Mark

Outstanding software that keeps getting better and better!

Reviewed on 9/3/2018

It's an excellent client database and portal.

Pros

Cool features, outstanding customer service, constantly updating to make it better. I love that I can upload files easily to a secure client portal and we don't have to email files anymore. Clients love that they have 24/7 access to their files. We have saved on paper and toner costs. Having all our client information in one place is incredibly valuable. Engagements keep you focused on what you need to do and makes things less likely to fall through the cracks. The integration with gmail makes tracking/finding email conversations easy! Absolutely can't imagine not having this software.

Cons

There are only a few minor issues that I know Canopy will fix as they learn from their customers. I can make suggestions and I know that they will address these requests in future versions of the software:
1. Mobile Access is not perfect. An app would be great. Some screens just don't show up on my iPhone.
2. Tasks take way too long to create. I think it could be easier to create tasks.
3. Inability to print notes
4. Search engine is limited. It would be better to be able to search for partial names. Currently you need to really know the name of the person you are looking for. I have a business client who I can't search for the name of his business or DBA.

Mark
  • Industry: Accounting

Canopy helps our company stay organized.

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

Pros

Communication tab, organization of tasks.

Cons

We would like to be able to integrate ability to update worksheets/ documents in internal files, just like you would in sheets or docs (if you want to edit, you have to do so outside of Canopy and re-upload. We would like to be able to quote in the system.

McKinley

I have had a good experience using Canopy. The website functionality has been very good.

Reviewed on 5/4/2018

Pros

I like the ability to produce documents that are ready to deliver to clients or the IRS once I have completed the required forms. Additionally, I like the ability to make changes without having to reproduce documents. The link that can be sent directly to clients for data input has been very helpful. Having tax transcripts that are readily accessible on my desktop is a very important feature.

Cons

I think that the software should include a feature that will allow you download transcripts overnight. I think the software would be enhanced if some of the additional features that follow are included in the software: Case Diagnostics, Fee Calculator, Searchable IRS Manual and IRS Contact List. It would be very helpful if other users within the same office could utilize Canopy at some add on rate or multiple user environment. Some of the tax resolution practitioners are part of small office environments. It would be good to have a product that could better fit the needs of the smaller office environments. T

• Industry: Accounting

Canopy has simplified the resolution process saving me time.

Reviewed on 24/5/2018

This product is necessary for me on a daily basis. I benefit from many of it's features.

Pros

The three areas that I use the most are the 433A, OIC and quick access to transcripts. The combination of these three functions allows me to quickly evaluate a clients resolution options. This also creates for me an overview allowing me to better focus on what I need to so that I can more quickly get a handle on the problem and address it with both the IRS and the client.

Cons

When I first learned about Canopy my understanding was that they were specializing in "tax resolution" and concentrating on that area. It appears that they are now broadening their market. I understand why they would want to do this but often newer businesses start to expand or move away from what they did best and water down or slow developing their original product. I fear that Canopy is doing just that and there original product will suffer.

Daniel
  • Industry: Legal Services

Good software, but confusing pricing

Reviewed on 20/7/2022

Pros

Canopy's client portal is very easy to use, and I received many compliments from clients on its user-friendliness. Time tracking and invoicing was simple and straightforward. I am a solo practitioner, so I'm not sure how it works for multi-user organizations, but for my practice it did the job well.

Cons

My biggest complaint with Canopy has do do with pricing. It seems like they completely overhaul their pricing structure every six months--not just raising rates, but changing how the pricing is calculated and how features are accounted for. It just got too much to track and too expensive relative to other software providers. Also, as a law firm I ended up needing an invoicing system that could manage trust accounting to stay bar compliant.

Marcy
  • Industry: Law Practice

Had the software for a few years it manages our whole practice.

Reviewed on 27/4/2018

practice managment

Pros

Does many things very well. Love the e-sign option. Love the enhanced search by phone and email, billing has been very helpful, wonderful team, love this is cloud based.

Cons

Canopy undertakes a huge responsibility in providing so much for its users. However, there is some room for improvement. The transcripts are not reliable; the email feature doens't always stay connected and isn't reliable,mobile usage is hard for practitioner and client. Many things have been greatly improved upon. I would love to be able to brand my invoices with color and logo. How can we get clien'ts to sign in sometimes they never sign in and that a shame.

Robert

Tax Resolution Software

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

Pros

In the beginning, Canopy was a tax resolution software. The survey option to send to the clients for their financial summary was very helpful to construct a resolution for their tax problems.

Cons

The company evolved into a tax management software. I don't need those functions. I need a tax resolution software only. The software was cost prohibitive forcing us to purchase features we don't use. (practice management)

Lora

Canopy Small Business

Reviewed on 7/12/2021

Really been worth the money.

Pros

I am a small business and it is working out great for my firm. Affordable. Customer service has been very good.

Cons

That other users can see my email if my email is integrated. This may not be an issue and longer as I have not checked it recently. Accepting payments through Canopy is too costly for me and receiving the funds too slow. I hope this improves so I don't have to pay for another service.

Nikolas
  • Industry: Accounting

Canopy was and is a game changer for our firm.

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

It has been great overall in both the product experience and customer service

Pros

It has combined our client contact lists, document manager, communications, and has a place for consolidated requests. They are constantly making Canopy better by adding new features and improving current ones

Cons

I would like to see different ways to view task managements and work flow. Having a swim lane option would make it easier to see what tasks there are and at what stage they are in.

• Industry: Accounting

IRS transcripts at the push of a button!!

Reviewed on 29/9/2020

Canopy is always upgrading and improving their software based on constant user feedback.

Pros

I love how easy it is to setup a new client in this software. Once set up, it's one click to get IRS transcripts downloaded for my review. This saves me at least an hour each week in comparison to the software I used to use.

Cons

There's really nothing to dislike about this software. It does what it says it will do and it saves me time.