Square for Retail

POS & inventory management for retail businesses

4.7 /5 (346 reviews) Write a Review!

Nicola C.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Easy solution for taking payment

Reviewed on 25/3/2021

Square has made it so easy to run the retail side of my business along with saving me a ton of money on fees my old bank charged for credit card processing.

Pros

In the past I've used traditional forms of credit card accepting machines and software provided by my bank. Very expensive and cumbersome. Square has made accepting credit cards cost effective and very easy. The retail setup has made keeping inventory easy along with sorting out sales taxes. The advantage of using AP on phone when not in store is extremely helpful and again very easy to use.

Cons

No real cons, If I were to get picky I'd say initial set up takes a bit of time but nothing really worth complaining about.

Shannon W.

Great for startup

Reviewed on 14/2/2021

Works efficiently for us. Some features would be nice but good for what we. We’d

Pros

Very easy to use, straight forward, efficient

Cons

There are some things that could be streamlined better. Photos for different variations would be nice. It would be great if square would sync with websites like square space for inventory

David Y.
  • Industry: Publishing

A Useful Solution for your eCommerce Needs

Reviewed on 22/8/2019

Overall I am pleased with Square because, for my business at least, it covers most of my needs. Set up could not be easier. Simply log-in to the application and begin creating store items. You can even allocate a low inventory alert so that you will always know if your inventory supplies are dwindling. It's very easy to assign a bank account to Square and the approval process, unlike some eCommerce providers, is almost instantaneous. Setting up the seller page is also easy and Square offers a variety of templates to choose from. No programming knowledge is needed and the page is largely WYSIWYG, so there are no surprises. The site displays well across PCs, tables, and phones.

Pros

Square for Retail enables you to easily create an online eCommerce store, list your products, and sell them. It's quite simple to use, and this is perhaps what is the best reason to use Square. It is particularly useful for small businesses trying to build sales via social media and other online avenues. At the same time, it is useful for brick-and-mortar stores as well. While I use it for online sales, several of my colleagues use Square in their stores.

Cons

A big drawback is that Square (as of the writing of this review) is unable to process payments from outside the United States. Thus, if you anticipate worldwide sales, Square may not be the best solution for your business. A second drawback is that it can be difficult to reach a live customer service representative. Unlike most companies, in which one simply phones in for service, Square requires that you first create a trouble ticket (at which point you will be assigned a case number). You then use the case number when phoning customer service. It's not horrible but in today's business world it's kind of annoying and time consuming. Square also lacks live online help, which is another downside.

Alex C.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

The Only Way To Accept Payments For Small Business

Reviewed on 5/8/2019

I recommend using Square for small business purposes only. That being said, they have a wonderful option for POS.

Pros

The Square plugin was super easy to use and fit most devices. The application is simple and adjustments were easy to make changes to. Paperless receipts are the best way to go about transactions.

Cons

The price was a little high for the software. Using the plugin had its disadvantages if you use a phone and that phone has a protective case. The application sometimes froze.

Shawn B.

Fantastic!

Reviewed on 17/11/2019

I have been using this register for sometime now. I use it for all my transactions and even take it with me for fairs and markets. I do all my inventory with it and the barcode scanner it’s simple. I have low inventory alerts set up to remind me to reorder products. You can create a personalized customer file for each customer and track their sales. I have square loyalty which lets you set up a customer loyalty program to reward regular customers.

Pros

I love how it’s so easy to use and very user friendly. I have the Square Register which has a large screen for me and a small screen in the front for the customers transaction. It is easy to add inventory by name and barcode with the barcode scanner. You can set up alerts, and I can still use it for cash transactions. I have the cash drawer accessory so it opens as soon as soon as you complete cash sale. It is basically a very advanced and convenient cash register that isn’t large and bulky.

Cons

The price is a little steep for small businesses. You can get the system that requires an iPad but I didn’t see the point. If you don’t have an iPad you have to purchase that in addition. I settled for the standalone register.

Joshua S.

A great and easy way for receiving payments.

Reviewed on 5/7/2018

Pros

I really like how sleek, modern, and clean this method for receiving payment works. It has a very modern GUI, with large clear numbers and values as opposed to the majority of credit card readers that have much more pixelated appearances and significantly smaller font sizes in comparison. Also, the ease of the option of signing when required with a finger on a touchscreen device is better than the alternatives available today such as signing with a physical pen or a stylus for digital screens. These features save time at checkout which in turn increases efficiency, and as my time is very valuable to me, I greatly appreciate these factors that contribute to the ease of use.

Cons

While there is not much to dislike, I have noticed that sometimes cards are not read as easily with this software at times. While this is perhaps more a function of the hardware used to swipe or scan credit or debit cards, I have noted a bit of a trend with this when using Square with certain cards while performing with other card types have been flawless. This makes me suspicious if it is related to a software issue. Otherwise, I have no complaints about Square.

Elizabeth R.

Square Payments Processing is a good credit card processing system

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Square is very convenient specially attending off-site events. We were able to get it up and going at any time. Other Points of Sales software is very clunky when it comes to a mobile application. Because of the versatility and ease of use, we do recommend it for small businesses.

Pros

Square is a payment processing system with supporting systems such as Point of Sale. We initially did the trial period to determine if it meets our requirements. It was very user-friendly and easy to use. The training was easy for the staff. If we had any issues, customer support from Square was always available. Sometimes we did have a short wait, but issues were always resolved.

Cons

Square didn't have a many features as other Point of Sales software. Reporting and analytics were pretty limited. The software did have some, but not as much as we needed.

Support was available, but sometimes we had to wait to get help.

Maddie E.

Square for small business retail

Reviewed on 22/8/2018

Square was a cheap way for me to reach a larger demographic of people at the markets, it adds to my business's professionalism and I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros

I love the convenience of swiping a card, I love that it pays out quickly (far quicker than over my website) and it keeps peoples information from past square interactions they've done so you can send them a receipt.

Cons

I would love to have an offline setting so it could save the cards and charge when you reconnect. I don't always have a connection at the markets I'm working. I'm working currently with the smallest square phone connection so I also look forward to updating to the version that accepts debit cards too

Matt B.

One of my core software solutions

Reviewed on 10/7/2018

Pros

I use Square almost daily for my coffee roasting company. Its easy to use, easy to train others to use, and easy to customize for my ever changing inventory.

Cons

Sometimes I wish the Square app had the same functionality as the Square website. For example, invoices are easier to work with on the web vs. working with them on the app. You can't print invoices from the app, yet you can from the web interface. Just little things like that. Not huge, but minor annoyances.

Van G.
  • Industry: Automotive

Clean And Easy

Reviewed on 21/2/2019

Square is great because it is universally recognized and people are comfortable using it to pay now. Overall the setup has been generally easy and straightforward. I'd definitely recommend it to any small business friends.

Pros

Super easy to use. Every kind of report that you can want is available.

Cons

I wish that the fee was a bit lower. The switch to a blue tooth card reader has been interesting. 1/10 times that I try and connect it takes extra time which is a pain if the customer is there waiting.

Jonathen R.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Simply Complex

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

Overall, it was a great beginning software to introduce our team and staff to setting up and developing a POS system and how to best organize and categorize their inventory.

Pros

The customization of the app was intriguing to set up and the process was pretty straightforward. The compactness of it was definitely appreciated and it was nice to have one, easy to find location for all the important statistics.

Cons

The customization of it was also one of its downfalls, making it easy to get lost in over expanding on options that on the retailer end looked fine but came out jumbled on the buyer's end.

Mike S.

best POS out there

Reviewed on 21/8/2019

Pros

so easy to use, can get setup in no time, take credit cards without dealing with banks or leasing equipment, they don't take much per card

Cons

there is no option for exchange, just refund, so it makes things a little harder at times to do an exchange

Michael M.

Great POS software and easy to use!

Reviewed on 18/6/2018

Pros

I love that they have their own hardware or you can use standalone.
the software can easily customized and tailored to your specific needs, simple easy to use screen makes transactions simple.

Cons

Reporting can be limited at times but easily overlooked due to the great build quality of the software. if you need very detailed reports then this may not suit your needs.

Manuel P.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

very useful and free

Reviewed on 9/12/2020

if actually referred them other then venmo best payment service

Pros

helps me get customers payment right then and there cant beat that

Cons

need an extra debit card just in order to withdraw your money

• Industry: Law Practice

Great way to Take Cards in your Retail Business

Reviewed on 6/9/2018

Great setup - set up my own and helped a friend - went seamlessly.

Pros

Easy to use - easy setup - use is for beginners up to experts. Take cards easily! Price is fair (per use).

Cons

Nothing I can think of - all worked well!

Paul K.

very easy program and very useful

Reviewed on 16/1/2019

it was easy to setup and easy to use

Pros

this program is a Godsend. Very easy to setup and use...customer service is awesome

Cons

There is nothing negative I can say about this program. Works perfectly

Robert L.

Easy to install

Reviewed on 14/4/2019

Pros

I love this payment option for my gym. It is supper easy to use.

Cons

This is a great software but pricing is slightly higher but worth the premium.

Shana T.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Great - for the iPad

Reviewed on 4/1/2020

It was fine for my inventory-based sales location where I could have an iPad on site. Just not practical for a business where I carry my phone and a laptop.

Pros

This card reader has been around for a very long time - over a decade I think. I started using it for another business way back in the day, and have since begun a freelance writing business where I don't have a lot of in-person interaction with clients.
Square for retail is easy to use and relatively competitive in pricing. Back when I had inventory, Square made it easy to manage that.

Cons

It's only for iPad! Come on, people, some of us have Kindles, Androids or even cell phones we want to use with out mobile businesses. Introduce a more varied product and I might consider recommending this to someone.

Jacob S.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great Tool for the Modern World

Reviewed on 26/2/2020

It makes vendor events go smoothly and increases sales because people are able to pay with card.

Pros

When doing vendor events, it's so nice to have this software. It comes with a credit card reader that attaches to your phone, so people can pay with card and you don't have to have a cash register.

Cons

In order to not pay a fee, you have to share your link with people and have them sign up. I wish there were other ways to get the service for free.

Liam C.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Easy to learn and easy to use

Reviewed on 9/1/2019

Pros

Sleek and simple UI, makes for a much simpler and more adaptable POS. I like how they make it easy to configure for your business’ needs.

Cons

I’ve used square at multiple jobs, and I don’t have any issues with it.

Amy J.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Great for Donations and Product Sales

Reviewed on 8/5/2020

Used for fundraiser sales for our scout troop. We love being able to use it for Cookie Sale, ticket sales, and other product sales.

Pros

Works very well for product sales for nonprofit fundraising.
Setting up my products with pictures makes it easy to create purchases.

Cons

I have used the software for a few years now and have not had any issues. I highly suggest Square to every scout leader that I meet.

Ben F.

Good payment platform...

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Great experience. Service was prompt getting back to us and its been a real time saver for our business.

Pros

Easy to use and program. Deposits are set it and forget.

Cons

No option for self check out for customer.

Thomas P.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Pretty simple to use

Reviewed on 12/4/2021

Pros

Quick easy and customizable for every day needs and all types of business

Cons

You have to use there chip readers witch can be expensive for a new compay

Robert H.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Who would've thought transactions would be this easy 20 years ago

Reviewed on 14/8/2019

Convenient, practical, and intelligent.

Pros

There is a lot of power in this tiny device. The ability to accumulate revenue and make sales from practically anywhere in the world, with this tiny gadget that just plugs into your phone. Unbelievable.

Cons

I do not get to use this software on a daily basis, and have been unable to locate any cons as of yet.

Samara W.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Great and friendly system.

Reviewed on 21/5/2019

Personally I enjoy using square much more than any other form of register. As a consumer and someone who works with it, it is very friendly for both sides.

Pros

-Easy to use
-faster processing
-Minimalist, and clean.
-portable

Cons

It can take a bit of getting used to, but other than that, I haven't experienced any cons.