Square for Retail

POS & inventory management for retail businesses

Write a Review!
Marc M.

Daily User

Reviewed on 25/9/2020

Totally love it. i'm happy with the features, and I'm sure that by being well funded I will continue to see new features come up, unlike software I previously used that wasn't as well funded.

Pros

I enjoy easily keeping track of my customer's info, including the ability to create my own custom fields and also group customers. These features make it easy for me to note a history with a customer, aside from just their purchases. Grouping customers allows me to enter a location, find the group of customers there, and know everyones name as a result of this reference

Cons

I wish it were easier to transfer my client lest from other software, but thats the nature of software I guess.

Chad M.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Best POS for a small non-profit or business

Reviewed on 24/2/2020

Great fast point of sale software that does what it does very well.

Pros

This software provides the best tools for managing sales on a small scale. It is fast, easy to use,and full featured.

Cons

Honestly, this is one of the least expensive options out there but it would be nice to not lose the service charges from our income.

Caleb H.

Square Retail works great but the customer service is terrible

Reviewed on 17/1/2020

Overall it has been a great tool and finding a better solution has been tough. I have checked numerous POS systems and I end up just staying with square. I wish they would update there new register system like the retail app. I also wish they had better customer service. Without fail every time I have contacted square they say they will have to look further into the situation and contact me back but they never do. It has happen every time I have contacted square.

Pros

The software is great to do all transactions, returns and exchanges. I like the fact that it prints a barcode at the bottom of the receipt so when a customer comes back for a return we just scan the bottom of the receipt and the transaction pops right up.

Cons

I end up getting the new square register in hope that it would act just like the retail app for the Ipad. The fact is that square won't update the new register. It has no exchange option like the Ipad app does and you end up needing to set up both the Ipad and register. Square has known about this issue for years now. You can see the complaints on the square forum page. Square also does not have a spot for barcodes so you end up having to put your barcodes in the sku spots. The loyalty point system also has some problems. When you do a return it doesn't automatically take points back from the customer account.

Chace C.
  • Industry: Animation

Square is the catalyst to making my passion have value.

Reviewed on 2/11/2018

I am a freelance graphic artist. I use this software to make it easy to put value in my art. I now have the easiest way to my a living on my work anywhere I am or will be. Overall wonderful experience.

Pros

The most favorable feature in using square is its simplicity. In less than 10 minutes I was all set up with full understanding of how the software worked. It was quick and clean and practically effortless. When I was all finished I couldn’t believe it I said “ wow, really? That’s it? I’m done?” Great interface with extremely user-friendly and modern design.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints. I have yet to run into any bugs or performance issues. Which, when there’s money involved is hard to come across and a very crucial detail. I had to speak with an operator one time and that was a fault entirely of my own and was user-friendly and convenient. He was helpful and the issue was rectified within minutes. Sorry but really can’t say a bad thing yet.

A great tool for any small business

Reviewed on 15/8/2018

Pros

Both interfaces are very easy to use. There are many features to make your business look professional, like sending receipts via email and text and asking for feedback after a transaction. Adding line items is very easy, which is convenient for businesses that are changing prices or items frequently.

Cons

As much as I love this product it could definitely still use some tweaking. The biggest complaint is the fact that you are forced to buy multiple card readers for your iPad because they stop reading cards after a while which subsequently forces you to enter the card manually which you are then charged more money for.

Elena P.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Calling All Scout Troop Leaders: Square is great for your booth sales! (and other small...

Reviewed on 5/12/2018

I'm a Girl Scout Troop leader, and using Square has revolutionized our cookie booth sales. Now when someone says they don't have cash, we can give them the option to pay with a card,w which has gotten us a tom of sales we would otherwise have messed out on. We make a tiny margin on cookie sales as a troop, but Square's charges are so reasonable that it still works out very much to our benefit to use it. I highly recommend it for any kind of booth-style vendor, whether you're a troop, a church holding a bake sale or rummage sale, or a small business person vending at farmers' markets and craft fairs.

Pros

Super easy to set up, easy to process payments, easy to generate receipts, and easy to track sales. Plus it's a very reasonable cost and lets you be much more accessible as a seller - no more juggling tons of loose cash!

Cons

It can sometimes be glitchy, and obviously only works if there's a good internet connection. I had some initial problems with my chip reader that forced me to hand-enter a lot of cards, which is time consuming. But on the plus side, that option exists for when there's a problem with the reader.

Jerry L.
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Great solution

Reviewed on 12/8/2020

Pros

Inexpensive to buy! Swipers are free and chip readers are only 49.00. Square is easy to use in store or out of store. Processing fees are the lowest I've found anywhere.

Cons

Make sure you use a tablet thats fast. Don't buy a cheap tablet of 30.00. pay upward of 75.00 other wise its very slow.

Justin N.

Get Paid Now!

Reviewed on 23/8/2019

Square has made us more money. We do not have to spend time waiting to be paid anymore. 10/10 recommend.

Pros

We love the ease of use for both us and the client. We used to have to wait for payment via check and sometimes we'd have to follow up with clients for months without getting paid. Now when our technicians are wrapped up in the field.. they have the client pay instantly using their mobile phones with card reader. No more waiting for payments!

Cons

Square is a great software and clients trust it. There is nothing that is negative about Square. Love it.

Devora F.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Square improved my business

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

My overall experience is beyond satisfactory. This software is a mus for any business. Quick and easy to use and works without any glitches.

Pros

The software is user friendly, quick and easy. I love their simple and straight forward layout. They literally contributed to my business growing!!!!

Cons

I can't think of any negative thing to say, except at the beginning I had some problems that turned out to do with poor internet connection.

Tin W.
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 10/8/2018

Pros

I love that it's so easy to send invoices in just a second! It keeps track of your clients names and client info, services, invoices etc which is such a timesaver! I can look st a glance and know what invoices have been paid and which ones need to send again.

Cons

I would love there to be a way to enter services in so you don't have to type it in each time when making an invoice.

Shelby S.
  • Industry: Automotive

Simple modern way to accept customer payments

Reviewed on 25/9/2018

I am pleased with Square. The amount of information that Square provides is very useful and easy to access. The offline feature is also really useful. In the event that our internet is down, we can still accept customer payments.

Pros

It is very easy to use. After a small amount of effort setting things up, we have a POS that is tailored to our specific needs. The rates for processing transactions are also very competitive.

Cons

I really have not had any issues while using Square. One time there was an update to the iPad that caused Square to not function properly. While it was an inconvenience, the issue was resolved in a timely manner.

Hannah P.

consumer friendly, simple, straightforward

Reviewed on 18/6/2018

Pros

I love how easy it is to operate, as both a customer and a shop myself. I also really appreciate the option to email or text the receipt. This allows for everything to be green and sustainable. Also, the plug in for my electronics is so small and portable. This is a huge plus. As a customer, I trust the security of Square and have real peace of mind when paying through the software. Other online merchant software is not as trustworthy or secure.

Cons

There are no cons for me related to this software. I gave it five stars across the board as I feel it is the best software in its category, both is function and form.

Andrew A.

Great start for business

Reviewed on 29/9/2018

Helped increase profitability by allowing me to accept credit cards.

Pros

I liked how easy it was to setup and connect to my bank account. The invoices made it easier to collect and the mobile app worked very smoothly.

Cons

At the time I was using they charged for everything. Payroll, scheduling, and any extra site features. The breakdowns on the back end weren't as thorough as quickbooks either so I switched.

Crisa T.

We solely use square for retail

Reviewed on 22/2/2019

Pros

We love square there’s a reason so many small businesses are using square! It’s amazing and costs less than most POS.

Cons

I wish it would deposit funds faster 😂

John F.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Snap

Reviewed on 21/9/2020

Pros

We use this everyday for our POS system and it is very easy to use in pulling reports.

Cons

Just that we have had some of the units go down.

Simple and reliable payment processing

Reviewed on 30/9/2019

Square for Retail has made our daily operations more efficient and our employees more independent.

Pros

The best thing about using Square for Retail is the simplicity. I can train a user on it in literally about 5 minutes. The learning curve on previous point of sale systems would take up to an hour.

Cons

Sometimes the card reader can have difficulty sensing the magnetic stripe of cards, requiring a couple extra swipes to get it to register.

Jessica G.

Good value for the money !

Reviewed on 18/6/2019

Keeping track of sales per day is so much easier ! The system makes it easy to interpret.

Pros

After initial intro it was easy to use.

Cons

There was a bit of a learning curve for us all but now things are smooth !

Maya L.

Reviewed on 11/4/2019

Pros

Square is really simple to use and has been really helpful for me in the past to accept credit card payments from people.

Since most people do not have cash, this is a very convenient way to still be able to do business.

Cons

I don't like that there is a fee get your money.

Also, with all of the new apps and money services, recently I find I am more likely to use something else besides square to receive money.

Diane V.

Reviewed on 30/9/2019

I have never had a problem. My money is always deposited directly in my account by the next day.

Pros

Square is so easy to use. I sent invoices out for my business and people can enter their card information and pay or I can scan their card when I deliver their items.

Cons

The cost is a little much for a small business that only does a $100 in sales a week. I use it for a small homebased business.

Amy R.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Convenient Way for Customers to Pay

Reviewed on 17/12/2019

Very easy to understand, and use. Money is deposited in a couple of days and we have not once had any issue with using it.

Pros

Getting invoices paid on the spot. Money deposited into our account at a acceptable rate. All for a good price.

Cons

Charging an extra fee on invoices to use it, it is understandable though. There is a price for convenience.

Jenna R.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Great for making sales away from store

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

We were able to bring the Square with us to events and make credit card sales where we previously could only accept cash. It's easy for an employee to select a pre-loaded item, add tax (or, for services, no tax), and swipe the card, and email a receipt. Refunds are a little more complicated.

Pros

We're able to make sales when we're away from our store. We downloaded the Square app on a tablet and phone and can swipe a credit card for purchases--it's really simple.

Cons

It's not easy to issue a refund without the administrator. This software does not integrate with the software we use for merchandise, so we need to manually adjust inventory numbers after making a sale. The percentage paid on our end for processing is relatively high.

Jaci S.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Square for Retail Review

Reviewed on 30/9/2019

At my last job we used Square for retail to process all transactions. The product is super easy to use and can be quickly learned for new users.

Pros

The interface of Square is user friendly and easy to use when processing retail transactions. I like the fact that you can use the square even without a card reader, by punching in card information manually. It has saved me a few times.

Cons

I don't have any issues using Square for retail. It is pretty straight forward to use while keeping an organized history of all transactions.

Aaron M.
  • Industry: Machinery
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Makes business transactions hassle free!!!

Reviewed on 5/10/2020

Pros

My mother in law makes cakes and sells them on her own. There was no store register to use and she had to make the cakes and take payment, which became overwhelming. She was taking cash because she had no way to take card, which was difficult because everyone uses cards now. So when she enlisted our help, the first we did was buy a Square Reader. Now, we just hook it up to her phone, while she grabs the food, they swipe and they are on their way. This has made work easier on all of us!

Cons

Sometimes, very rarely, it takes an extra swipe. In the end, everything gets sorted and no double charges.

Square POS thoughts

Reviewed on 18/3/2019

Overall of the dozen pos's i have used before, Square is by far the easiest pos in the market.

Pros

The Ease of use as well as the functionality of it.

Cons

the creation of skus and long wait times on customer support. and the cost of the system and service.

Nick K.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

This worked great for my MLM business

Reviewed on 5/5/2020

I really liked the product and would choose it again if i needed one.

Pros

This product worked great for my small business when i used to partake in a MLM business. I would recommend it.

Cons

I don't have too many cons. Sometimes it would take multiple swipes but nothing to really complain about.