Venmo

4.8 (7,537)
Digital wallet & mobile payment gateway

(7,537)
4.8/5
4.6/5
4.8/5
4.5/5

7537 Software options

Tyler jae S.

Outstanding payment collection and money transfer tool

Reviewed on 14/9/2021

My overall experience with Venmo is extremely positive. It has quickly become a preferred tool as compared to the competition.

Pros

Venmo makes it very easy to transfer money between individuals. The "request" feature streamlines the opportunity to request balances owed. Furthermore, the visual aspects of the process reduces errors.

Cons

The transaction fee is slightly disappointing. But, it is expected due to the credit card processing.

Josh C.
  • Industry: Design

Great easy to use quick payments to family and friends and even clients.

Reviewed on 7/10/2021

Great payment processor to get payments from friends and family that is easy and quick and can be used on the go.

Pros

It's very quick and easy to make payments to people you know. Just get their username and you can quickly send someone money. It is now pretty well known so many people have it and will take it.

Cons

It's more of a no frills quick payment system so if you want a business processor I probably wouldn't use it for that.

Wave Accounting and PayPal

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

I do use Paypal and Wave for more business transactions, but there are times I will have a customer ask if I take Venmo and I won't pass it up getting the money quickly. I can just leave some money on the balance and then when someone else takes Venmo for a product I want I will use it.
Cierra W.
  • Industry: Warehousing

Venmo - 1 CashApp - none

Reviewed on 20/4/2021

My experience with Venmo was and is exceptional. I haven’t had even one bad thing happen with this app and it’s very reassuring to know your in good hands when doing transactions! Nobody wants to have to worry about where there money is and it’s safe to say that Venmo keeps your money and information secure and protected!

Pros

I loooooove Venmo! My favorite thing is that it’s safe because it’s completely controlled by you and only you! They also have tons of new features like a debit card. Plus they have customer service reps ready to help you with whatever, whenever! So you can send and receive money any time from anybody that has a Venmo account. Why is that special? Because it’s painless and timeless! This is my #1 app for transactions because it gets them done in no time. If your anything like me, I’m always on the go between kids, there sports, and work this app just really speeds things up when I need it most!

Cons

I think the only downside of Venmo for me is that my transactions are public so anybody that has a Venmo account can see them. It’s not bad per se but it’s not something I love.

Sean D.

Perfect for accepting payments as a small business and band

Reviewed on 11/4/2021

We use Venmo to accept many forms of payment for shows and merchandise sales and I could not be happier with our results in doing so. We can now accept more in payment from fans and friends where in the past it was dependant upon whether they had cash in hand or not. I cannot say enough good things about Venmo in regard to is making the lives of small businesses and bands easier in the current time.

Pros

Makes taking payment for anything (t-shirts, vinyls, tickets) incredibly easy as the user pool is so vast that nearly anyone you come into contact with will have this app on their smartphone. It makes our lives as musicians increasingly easy as the world becomes more digital and has increased our revenue ten fold. We no longer have to swipe any cards or accept cash only as shows now that we use venmo as our primary point of sale.

Cons

SOmetimes the scanning of other profiles does not work as intended. This feature working properly is incredibly useful and when it works properly it takes out the guessing in payment forwarding which is very nice.

Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

Venmo is much more widely accepted by our customer base and therefore the decision was a no-brainer for me and my team.
Shannon L.

Venmo is a MUST HAVE

Reviewed on 26/1/2021

I know VENMO is owned by PayPal, but VENMO is so much better in the day to day of collecting and sending money. My kids have it, making is super easy for me to "pay them back" or for them to get paid by a neighbor for babysitting or helping out in some way. Also great for "collecting" from people for a teachers gift. Some cons: the default option is "public." Sort of like face book or Instagram, the list of "who" you have paid and your comment are public. The amount is not. I set mine to "private", but that is NOT the default. If you want to spy on your kids and their record is "public" it's super easy. Also, it must tie to a cell phone and only one VENMO account per cell phone number and per bank account. This can make it harder to get your kids on VENMO if they don't have an active cell number (google voice does not count!, I tried it). Also with your spouse/partner, they cannot be hooked up to the same bank account as you on VENMO. The functional outcome of this often is that just one of you may have VENMO on your device. Lastly, you need to know someone's VENMO ID first. If you pay the wrong person, there's no getting your money back unless they kindly return it. There is a cell phone verification process that helps though or you can "friend" someone first to be sure you have the right contact before sending money. The biggest pro, it's super quick. You can request or send money almost instantly. Definite must-have. Get a friend to show you how to use it.

Pros

Super easy to transfer funds to anyone. Literally takes less than 30 seconds to request or send money. No more "not collecting" from friends for "their share" of the night out, you just send a "request". Very easy to send a tip or pay a babysitter.

Cons

You can't tie your VENMO to a savings account.
Must have a cell number, google voice doesn't count.
Can be hard to search for people.
Setting default is "public" meaning others can see who you have sent money to and what you wrote in the comments.
You must write something in the comments or put an emoji for each transaction even if you don't want to.

Laura V.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Perfect for person-to-person, not the best for businesses

Reviewed on 13/1/2021

I use venmo for personal use outside of the business very regularly. I choose not to use it for my business for the reasons I listed in my cons.

Pros

This is probably the easiest and most user friendly money transferring app that I have used.
Venmo charges the user a very small percentage to do an instant transfer and there are no fees to do a transfer that takes 1-3 business days.
If you are out for drinks and decide to put the bill on one person's card, you can easily send them money to cover your portion and they'll have it before the check even comes.
If you need your money transferred to your bank immediately, you can have it within less than 3 minutes.
Another pro is that nearly everyone has it on their phones these days and that keeps things simple.

Cons

It does keep track of your payments, received and sent; however, I feel that the use of venmo in a business is highly unprofessional and it can be a negative to the recipient. If a business owner or worker receives money for goods or services, they are charged a fee. While this fee percentage is very small, if you charge more than $100.00 for whatever your business provides, you're charged a fee and that adds up.
For example, I sent money for $1,400.00 and received a very nasty email from the recipient saying that they were charged $14.00 just to pull the money.
This is only with instant transfer, as I said, but it is something to be remembered for business owners.

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

Ease of use and the fact that everyone I know has it.
  • Industry: Higher Education

So easy and many friends, family and colleagues use this!

Reviewed on 19/2/2020

Love venmo! Literally use it with all my friends, family, colleagues, and businesses that accept payment via venmo. I rarely find someone who doesn't have this. It seems to be continously growing and asked of when coordinating payment of something. Highly recommend this software!

Pros

Takes a few simple steps to set up and start your account/link to your bank. So many people use this app that i rarely find someone who doesn't have it. Makes going out and splitting the bill with friends so much easier - to paying your babysitter, hairdresser, or the person who grabbed coffee for you, and so much more in a matter of seconds. People can also charge you or you can charge others when they owe you to help remind them and stay organized. Besides using the app, they push notifications to you every time someone pays or charges you, as well as when you make payment to someone. They will even send you an email to help stay on top of things.

Cons

Only down side to this working in fundraising and as someone who makes philanthropic donations, many people want to donate through venmo but the platform isn't currently set up for this capability. I believe they are in a pilot mode for this capability but doesn't feel like they are moving fast enough on it and once it does go live, will it be easy to implement? Larger organizations have trouble with this, while i see smaller, less complex organizations being able to implement well. Huge potential though for this software!

Aaron H.
  • Industry: Automotive

Venmo has to be the best

Reviewed on 19/2/2020

Pros

Venmo is great! I downloaded the mobile app almost 2 years ago when I first heard about it and now I use it daily. This past summer I ran a local auto detailing business and many of my customers asked me if I took Venmo as a paying option, and sure enough, I did! This made things so helpful as each payment was instant and on the spot. Another great feature of the app is how user-friendly it is and easy to follow. Personally, I would recommend Venmo to anyone, whether it is for business, personal use, or friends.

Cons

I do prefer Venmo as my money exchange app of choice, but it is not perfect in my opinion. I think that a portion of the "friend" features could be improved to avoid any privacy issues. Some of the capabilities that Venmo allows you to do can allow people to view all your transactions and friends. People and their money can be a careful subject so safety and privacy should be Venmo's concern.

Daniel F.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

The Best Peer to Peer Money Transferring App!

Reviewed on 10/3/2020

Venmo makes small money transactions much faster and easier than with any app before. I've used it almost daily, and I can't say I've run into any issues or long wait times. I can't even rate their customer service, because I've never had an error or a transaction mistake in the entire 4-5 years I've used it. From paying rent to splitting the dinner bill with friends, this app makes money transactions easier than ever.

Pros

Venmo is quick, easy, and accessible. Users can very quickly set up an account, connect their card or bank information, and start sending money to friends and family! The app is very fast, without requiring too many clicks or menu navigation to quickly send or receive money. It can also transfer to your bank account in just a few days for free, or it can be expedited for a small fee.

Cons

There really aren't many cons with Venmo. I would say one concern that users may want to look into is that if they use a credit card instead of bank information as their primary source of money, the app will charge extra fees. This is a minor complaint, but I've known a few users who had been unaware of this and were paying a fee for each transaction.

Sierra C.

The only Money Exchange I use

Reviewed on 16/11/2021

I recommend Venmo to everyone. I refuse to use any other money payments sites other than Venmo. It is easy to use and quick to navigate.

Pros

My most liked feature of Venmo is that the swap between individuals is quick and easy and processed in real time. I do not have to wait to be paid or risk having cash.

Cons

I least like the processing fee for an immediate transfer to my bank account. Although, this is a feature i rarely us I still am bummed out by the fee.

PayPal and Cash App

Easy and more appealing.

PayPal and Cash App

Easy and more appealing.
Megan J.

The only app I'll use to send money

Reviewed on 3/4/2021

I use Venmo all the time to pay friends and family. It's especially useful for splitting bills. I also use Venmo for goods and services like with my hairdresser and massage therapist! It's so fast and easy to send money via the app. You don't even need to get your wallet. out.

Pros

Venmo is extremely user-friendly and easy to use. You can send money easily and quickly via the app without a million steps. Something that I love that I've noticed a lot of people don't seem to realize is that there is no fee if you transfer money via your bank account instead of with a card! I also really like the social aspect of Venmo. You can add friends on Venmo and see who transferred money to who and for what. You can write little notes and add emojis when sending money and then it shows up on your feed. It's a super convenient way to transfer and receive money whether it's for goods and services or splitting a dinner bill with friends. I've also found that almost all of my friends and family and many merchants and vendors use Venmo. It's great how popular it's become recently!

Cons

For some reason, my bank account randomly gets disconnected. There have been several times where I go to transfer money to someone and I get an error message saying my bank account was disconnected and I need to reconnect. It's frustrating having to go through all the steps to connect my bank account over and over again.

Quinlan K.

Venmo review

Reviewed on 29/1/2021

Overall I absolutely love Venmo. The app is super easy to use and I love using the app for everyday money exchange. Venmo makes everyone's life a whole lot easier as it allows many people to be able to pay each other back super easily, as well as makes the bank transfers super easy and inexpensive. The app is going to be huge for years to come as more and more people use it. I have found that all different age groups all love Venmo, and I expect it to thrive over the next 5 years.

Pros

Venmo is my favorite app for exchanging money, and being able to pay or receive money from friends or co workers. I use Venmo all the time when picking up lunch with a friend or at work when picking up lunch or coffee for other coworkers. The ease of use for the app is amazing. The app is super easy to navigate and also is great for paying friends, because there is no fees like with paypal. The app is super inexpensive and an even be completely free if used a certain way. Venmo has become the center for the younger generation to pay each other with. Many people done even carry cash on them anymore with the assumption that everyone has Venmo. It has become even an expression when you want someone to pay you. All you need to say is Venmo me. The software is great and is the perfect app for ease of use for everyone.

Cons

There is not much to dislike about Venmo. The app is practically perfect, and the ease of use is impeccable. The few flaws I had noticed was that first you need to enter a reason for payment. Sometimes for a quick Venmo I prefer not to have to enter a caption for the transaction, however Venmo requires you to enter something so usually this results with me just putting an animation or picture emoji. Venmo limits are somewhat annoying as well, however they do seem necessary to help regulation.

Phoebe T.

Safe Way to Send Money

Reviewed on 6/4/2020

With Venmo, I am able to easily transfer and receive money from people. I have never had any problems with Venmo which makes my experience very positive. I am happy to recommend Venmo to my friends especially since they are in college where it is very useful in selling textbooks and receiving monthly bills from housemates!

Pros

I love the ability to send money and personalize the memos that go with it. It is much more personal, fun, interactive, and user friendly compared to PayPal. There is also the ability to transfer money into your account quickly if you need the funds for a very low cost. The interface is easy to use and understand for everyone who is of the eligible age to use Venmo. You can transfer money for whatever reason! I personally use it for bills and even research incentives for research participants.

Cons

I love everything about Venmo. I find it easy to use and I have no problems with using it. Some people may find the verification process annoying however, it is a way to make sure your bank account and personal information is not being breached.

• Industry: Telecommunications

Payment got easier

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

So happy to use this amazing product. Makes payment pain-free and quick.

Pros

The easiest way to pay for something is through venmo. With a couple of clicks you can pay, making it the most efficient and safe way to pay someone. And no service fees

Cons

Right now alot of sites/organizations/ people do not take venmo. I believe in the coming years this will be the main payment system throughout businesses.

Reasons for Choosing Venmo

Price and easier to use.

No service fees
  • Industry: Music

Fast and Easy Payment Processing

Reviewed on 5/10/2021

Pros

I like the ease of credit/debit card charging through this app. It is widely used, at least across the United States, so many people already have an account created and linked to a card or bank account. Transferring the payment to your account is quick, usually faster than they estimate, and has a very low processing fee compared to other business platforms.

Cons

I dislike that you must be specific about using the business side of Venmo instead of a personal account. There are different rules about how much money can be transferred in a month and you can be shut down if you forget to use the business side.

Reasons for Choosing Venmo

I switched because the fees and processing times were a burden and Venmo offers easier use for both the client and company.

Square Payments
  • Industry: Entertainment

Venmo is a TOP Choice to Send Money

Reviewed on 2/5/2019

I use this app weekly for small payments and paybacks here and there. Sometimes a client asks to use this app instead of any other payment source so being able to track that is imperative. I have never had an issue with my funds with this app and that makes me feel secure and happy to keep using the app. I use it even more than paypal, cashapp or any other payments received app.

Pros

I've been using Venmo for years now and the main things I like about the app are ease of use and low/no fees. I constantly have people ask me if I use Venmo which means mainstream adoption. Its easy to send payments to others or receive them, especially with the QR code. And I've never had an issue with the app or transfer of funds. I love how funds are instant transactions and quickly done in a few moments time.

Cons

I feel it could use some more features such as transaction history, download .csv files and I don't feel the community feature really adds anything to the software itself. Literally no reason for it in my opinion. Perhaps allowing to buy, accept or transfer cryptocurrencies would be good (like Cash app does). I've heard rumors of limiting the amount of received funds in a month and some accounts have been blocked for this?

Square for Retail

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

Because it's easy to use and more people use this than the other apps. It's fast.
Keley M.
  • Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Easiest way to split everything!

Reviewed on 30/11/2020

I love Venmo first and foremost. It's the easiest and most convenient way to send or request money from friends and family. I use it for everything from splitting restaurant and bar tabs with friends to sending rent to my landlord and sending birthday money to my nieces and nephews. There are several other apps available that serve a similar purpose, but none that I recommend more or that my friends and family use more than Venmo.

Pros

Venmo is the best! I love the capability to send and request money from people, especially after a night out for example. It's a way to make it easier on everyone, including the service industry by not having to split up tabs several different ways. It's super convenient to send money to friends and family, especially since almost everyone I know uses it. I also love that there is a reminder feature for politely letting a person know you've requested money from them in case they forgot about it. The functionality to make transactions private and keep it from public view is also great, I use this feature mostly for bills or business transactions that I don't want or need everyone to see. The speed and convenience of being able to transfer your money next day is maybe my favorite thing about Venmo, it's so easy.

Cons

The only issue I've had using Venmo so far is sometimes it will disconnect from my bank account for some reason and try to prompt me to re-enter all of my information. If I exit the application though and restart it, it will work just fine. It may just be buggy and something that will be fixed with a future update, and it's only happened to me twice so not enough for me to stop using Venmo by any means.

Timmy T.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Venmo for Business encourages fast, easy payment.

Reviewed on 12/3/2021

We accept accounts paid on Venmo for many things. Sometimes it's our vendors paying us for site fees, other times it's between coworkers using the app for expenses outside of work. Easy to use, set up, and enjoyable to use the social features.

Pros

I love that Venmo is built like a social network and creates a personal experience for payees and billing at either the individual or small business level.

Cons

I dislike that the Venmo is not accepted everywhere. Sometimes it's jarring to hop from small business to small business and have to switch from Venmo, which is accepted at our company, to a seemingly-arbitrary payment application.

Samsung Pay

Reasons for Switching to Venmo

Of course not everyone has a Samsung phone, and the interface (apart from requesting or sending payment) is robotic and cold. Fairly uninspiring and asocial when compared to Venmo.
Michael C.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

So easy you can teach your parents how to use it

Reviewed on 1/12/2020

Great app that I would recommend to anyone who is okay connecting their bank account to it. Otherwise you'll have to worry about carrying cash on you 24/7.

Pros

I remember when this app first came out and was a bit skeptical of it but now I can't live without it. Its soooo much easier to pay family and friends with this app as opposed to worrying about carrying cash around. I also was able to teach my girlfriends dad how to link his bank account to it and it took no time at all. As a man who isn't very "tech savy" he couldn't believe how easy it was to send and receive money once we set it up for him.

Cons

Sometimes there are issues with linking the bank account with the app but I cant say for sure thats on Venmo. That might be a bank security issue. We temporarily ran into it with Wells Fargo but after trying a second time we were able to connect.

Manali S.

Best software for easy payments

Reviewed on 7/5/2021

My overall experience with vanmo has been truly satisfying and had made my day day to transactions very easy.

Pros

Venmo provides a very easy way to make payments to you friends, colleagues and even to shoppers. Another great feature is that you can link your bank accounts by just providing your user ID and passwords without providing the all the details like routing number, account number etc.

Cons

Sometimes, while linking the bank account, the software faces a technical issue and asks you to try again later. Also, sometimes the software will delink your card and will not send an email/text to notify and you might be stuck in a situation where you want to pay with venmo but your bank account is nor delinked.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

How is this free to use! Such a great app!

Reviewed on 6/4/2021

It's been fantastic. My tenant pays me rent through it, I can collect money for items I sell in garage sells and I can easily transfer money to friends when they pick up a tab at a restaurant or bar.

Pros

Extremely easy to use, fast payment transfers and secure! Venmo has been my go-to payment method for one off and in some cases monthly transfers. Easy to login, identify and transfer funds between parties. Since I never need the money right away, I never have to pay any processing fees and it's easy to keep tabs on your transfers through their platform.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I don't like about Venmo however if I were to change anything about it, I would want them to have a more user friendly way of confirming ownership of an account for somebody you do not have a connection with but need to send money. As an example, if you are sending money to somebody remotely and only have their username, maybe send them a 0.01 payment confirmation before accepting the full transfer. Finally, I wish they would increase the transfer limits within a weekly transfer timeline.

Gary C.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Easiest way for small transactions

Reviewed on 8/9/2021

Overall, Venmo is my go-to application for small transactions between my friends. Bill splitting has never been this easy and I recommend using this over bank apps as this has an easier interface.

Pros

Venmo made it easy to send and receive money through their mobile app. From a consumer perspective, I often use Venmo to send and receive money from friends whenever we split a meal. Compared to banking apps such as Zelle, Venmo is faster and the interface is super easy to use. A great option they have is that you can transfer money to your bank without any fees which is super important to me. In addition, it's fun to see your friend's transactions and you can always privatize your transactions as well.

Cons

One con is that there is actually a limit of how much money you can receive and withdraw. Understandably, they have this measure in place because the basic version of Venmo is used for small transactions. Any huge amounts of transactions would qualify as business transactions and I believe that there is a fee and tax that is put in place for those types of consumers. If you are a business looking to use Venmo as your main transaction tool, make sure notate that.

Jeremiah C.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

An awesome payment platform

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

it is a good app to send and receive payments as long as it works well but once it starts to have even the slightest hiccup it breaks down and becomes unusable. I think Paypal which has been a security company for quite a long time can definitely fix this.

Pros

The wide network of users use this software for Payments be it Students, working professionals, family members. It is universal and so it is easy to pay someone with this software. The feature that lets you scan and add friends or add someone just to pay them is useful as it eliminates the guesswork of whether I sent it to the right person or not. Being able to instantly transfer the amount to the bank is also helpful in times when you need it urgently.

Cons

Not a lot of things come to mind when I think about the cons of this software. but I have experienced that if a problem arises with the bank due to any reason then it becomes very difficult to use this app. sometimes it may not allow you to transfer the amount to the bank instantly due to some flagged response from their server.

Jacob G.

Review of Venmo

Reviewed on 28/2/2019

Overall, Venmo has been a life changing app for me. It makes settling up and tracking costs super easy and exact. I look forward to seeing it rolled out on a commercial level to the point where it can be used to buy lunch at a restaurant or a beer at the bar. China is way ahead with digital payments technology through Alipay and even Kenya has wider adoption of digital payments with something called M-PESA. Venmo can lead the way in this space in the world's richest economy.

Pros

Venmo is an amazing payments solution for the modern age of personal finance. Really look forward to seeing Venmo grow into becoming a commercial payments solution, but for the time being it's utility resides in the person to person transactions. The Venmo app streamlines settling up costs in group situations at brunch for example or even splitting costs with your roommate.

Cons

Venmo has some pretty serious privacy concerns. Notably and unfortunately, many therapists accept payment via Venmo these days, but neglect to set there privacy settings to private. By default, all transactions (minus specific transaction amounts) are public unless the user changes there settings to private. In this example with therapists, this is a big HIPAA violation.

Karen K.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

My daily go to for everything payments and receivables!

Reviewed on 20/4/2021

I have had nothing but great experiences with Venmo. The one time I had an issue, customer service, through chat, resolved my problem within minutes!

Pros

It is EASY. Very user friendly. Money changes hands IMMEDIATELY and effectively. Makes for easy transfers in or out of my bank account and customer service is AMAZING. Customer Service is also available through chat, and I LOVE that!

Cons

not EVERYone I work with uses it. Most do, but not all. Some still have the perception that PayPal is more secure, not knowing the connection between the two.