Homebase

4.6 (1,005)
Write a Review!
Free employee scheduling, time tracking, and more.

(1,005)
4.6/5

Marcus
Marcus

Excellent Scheduling Software for Restaurants/Bars

Reviewed on 16/5/2022

This is great way to track hospitality staff for clocking in and out, as well as recording some key data for payroll processing even if you do payroll outside of Homebase.

Pros

This makes scheduling our bar staff extremely easy and helps to track other payroll accounting data like start dates, hours, etc. It also helps to communicate with staff and provides a good source of applicants from a tailored database of hospitality industry applicants.

Cons

It could have more features for team communication and collaboration. The dashboard navigation is pretty straightforward but could be improved.

Crystal
  • Industry: Hospitality

Everyone loves Homebase

Reviewed on 9/11/2023

Pros

User friendly, highly functional, efficient and effective mobile platform, great customer service!

I've never had an HR or work app that employees and management unequivocally love ... but Homebase hits the mark for everyone!

Cons

Homebase costs us more overall than any other products we've used but it's worth the money.

The "time off" tracking functionality is really basic and not as robust as I wish it was.

David

I've never seen so many bugs....

Reviewed on 27/4/2020

Bad,bad,bad. Customer service is responsive but there are just soooo many bugs with this software.

Pros

Very easy to use. The user interface is very simple and easy to navigate.

Cons

I feel like this is a beta software that should not have been rolled out yet. We have been using it for a week and have had issues every day since we started using it. Basic things that you think should just work doesn't work.
Example: All my employees have a 1 hour, unpaid lunch everyday. They clock in and clock out on this required one hour lunch but Homebase is still counting it in their total hours. So know I ma getting alerts that they all have overtime but they actually don't because Homebase is not calculating hours correctly.
So there have been several little things (Bugs) that I have found every day since using Homebase. I contact customer support and they tell me that they will pass it on to their product team.
This may sound harsh but the product team really should have tested this software more before rolling it out. Makes me question all the reviews I am seeing on here. All the bugs have been on basic functions.

Response from Homebase

Hi David -

We are so sorry to hear you've been having issues your Homebase account. This is not the experience we want our customers to have. Our head of technical support has just emailed you to see if we can remedy these issues for you. If you have any further issues, please reach out to me directly at [email protected]. Looking forward to getting these issues resolved for you, and so sorry again for all the challenges here.

- Ryan

Teresa

Homebase Scheuduling

Reviewed on 12/3/2024

I give it 5 stars. It is really easy to use and I have used other scheduling software.

Pros

I like all of the features with Homebase. I primarily use it for scheduling.

Cons

No Cons with scheduling. This is all I use Homebase for at this time.

Sara
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Integral for streamlining scheduling

Reviewed on 23/1/2024

Pros

I would not have been able to scale to multiple job sites without the help of Homebase

Cons

I really cannot think of anything. I absolutely love this tool.

Claire

Helpful and Easy Communication

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

We switched from Slack because homebase puts scheduling/time-off requests/shift trades all in one place and allows employees to do some of that work on their own. Hooray!

Pros

I love the ease of communication Homebase allows with employees. No need to exchange personal numbers and all of the communication is one place. Also allows employees to clock in and out from their devices which is awesome when your the point of sale is also the clock and out spot. This way, we don't have to interupt the workflow to clock in and out. Also really like how Homebase shows your earnings per shift. No guess work at what your hourly paycheck will be!

Cons

My biggest complaint is just that there seems be a lag between the time you check a notification and the time it takes to refresh. So the app will show that I have a new notification when it's actually something I have already checked on. Not a huge deal, but makes me feel like I'm missing something when I'm really not. I could also live without a notification asking if I have clocked out of my shift any time I work past by specified hours. For Example, shift ends at 11:30 but I don't clock out until 11:45 - I get at least one if not 2 text asking if I forgot to clock out.

Brooke

Very satisfied healthcare manager

Reviewed on 13/12/2023

Switching to homebase has made our staff much more efficient.

Switching to homebase has made our staff much more efficient.

Pros

Homebase employee scheduling is very user friendly and adaptable to meet our individual needs.

Cons

I wish the PTO tracking was more adaptable.

Laura
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Intuitive Software

Reviewed on 21/12/2023

Pros

This program is well-designed, intuitive, visually appealing, and easy to use. The support staff are very helpful and friendly. It has also been incredibly beneficial to be able to use our choice of platform (PC, tablet, etc.) for clocking in/out and also using the software on the administrative side.

Cons

So far, there is nothing that I dislike about Homebase!

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

The price point was a huge influence. Aside from that, after watching the walkthrough video on how the program works and how flexible the options were, we decided to give the free trial a shot and plan to continue to use their services even after the trial period ends.
Amanda
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Homebase is the way to go!

Reviewed on 27/10/2023

Pros

I love homebase! I can keep track of my schedule, hours,paycheck and all kinds of other things through the app! It's perfect!

Cons

The only thing I don't really like is the cash out feature. It uses plaid to link banks and cards but all of the cards I use are not supported.

Isaac
  • Industry: Restaurants

Homebase excels in what it does!

Reviewed on 11/12/2023

Pros

The ease of use for HR Administrators and Managers.

Cons

Menu on side doesn't allow to show all available options

Lightspeed Restaurant

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Free trial allowed to test out all premium features
Matt
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Homebase

Reviewed on 5/3/2020

When we first launched we had a programming issue where the time clock would crash once a day. The team at Homebase was quick to address the issue and put us in contact with the development team who got us on a beta version of the next release. This fixed our issue and the team at Homebase was responsive and open to feedback as we previewed the upcoming release.

I have had representatives from Homebase reach out to my multiple times for feedback on their products. It is refreshing to see a company openly solicit feedback from their user base in an effort to improve their product. Every interaction I have had with their staff has been positive.

Pros

Homebase has been the perfect time clock system for our business. It was easy to configure and with the entire system web based I can monitor our staffing when I am off site. We use a wall mounted iPad to clock in and out which was less expensive than many physical time clocks.

My staff has enjoyed having access to their Homebase dashboard where they can easily review their punches/total hours.

One of the best features is the ability to specifically define your pay periods. Many systems only offer weekly, biweekly, or monthly with no customization of dates. Homebase allows complete customization for when you would like you pay periods to start and end.

I have also used their hiring tool. It is by far and away the easiest tool I have used to publicly post to multiple job sites at once. It is very straight forward and has been a great resource in helping us in our hiring.

Cons

I don't have any cons. It is a quality product and the team at Homebase has been quick to respond to any issues we have had.

Virtual TimeClock

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Looking for a cloud based time clock to replace our failing legacy time clock

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

The cost (as low as $0), the ability to define pay periods, cloud based, ease of use
Michael

Best virtual timeclock for your money

Reviewed on 10/3/2021

Overall, my experience has been great with Homebase. Coming from manual punch clock, I've cut down my payroll process by at least 80%. It is easy to use (original software version is easy, new version is a little too messy so I haven't switched to the new view.) I still enter hours manually into QBO, because Homebase doesn't split regular and overtime hours. Not a big deal.

*A couple wishes*

1. I wish there to be a button when employees punch out that says "Did you take a lunch break?" (Yes or No) Reason for this feature - I don't make our employees go to the iPad at lunch to "Take a break" when it's lunch time. I would have a line up of workers waiting to punch in and out because our entire company shuts down all at once for lunch. That way, when some employees DO work through their lunch break, they can just say "No" to the question "Did you take a lunch break" when they clock out at the end of the day. Currently, everyday I log into Homebase and manually add each employee's lunch break, except if they leave me a note saying "No Lunch".

2. It would be great if time card notes for a whole current pay period could be amalgamated into one document as I am processing payroll. I currently have to dig through each time card to find notes of employees asking for vacay pay, sick days, mileage etc. If I just had a list of all the notes and names for that weeks pay, I can check off each note as I add their request into QBO.

Overall, I am still very happy with Homebase.

Pros

What I like most about Homebase is that it doesn't break the bank to put in a virtual timeclock system. It integrates with Quickbooks online and it is easy to use.

Cons

1. It does allow for a little customization, but not advanced enough for the way I run payroll.
2. It does not send separate regular hours and overtime hours to QBO.

Timesheets.com

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

100% for the price difference. Timesheets is so overpriced. Thank you for providing your software for such a reasonable amount of money. It makes a huge difference during this pandemic.
Allison
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Fairly good for scheduling, could use some work

Reviewed on 17/9/2021

We are utilizing the HR function. It is nice to be able to send in questions and get responses from HR professionals. The help desk is responsive and usually helpful

Pros

Being able to create a base schedule of open shifts as a template is nice. You apply the template to the week, and then you can drag and drop the shifts onto employees. You must use a computer for this to work. The auto-scheduling feature can give you a good starting point but has flaws that make it impossible to publish a schedule using only auto-scheduling.

Cons

I would like more categories than owner, manager, employee. With more options of who can see what information. Auto schedule feature needs improvement to not schedule people on doubles and multiple locations at the same time. They've made a number of improvements over the years, but I sometimes think they are trying to add too many new features when they need to perfect the features already available first.

Heather
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Happy Manager

Reviewed on 1/9/2020

The homebase team has been nothing but helpful and supportive, and are always willing to take suggestions.

Pros

I love that there is an app connected to the schedule and other features! A huge plus is my team being able to put in their own time off, and request shift trades or covers through the app as well.

Cons

The scheduler can run slowly, and it would be nice to be able to organize job applicants a little better.

Danielle

We Love Homebase

Reviewed on 25/11/2020

Overall. we love Homebase. It has made so many of our processes easier and streamlined. With a few tweaks, it could be even more amazing. The great thing is the company is open to feedback and often test and release new product features.

Pros

My team was using spreadsheets to schedule and to complete payroll before Homebase. What a manual nightmare. There were always so many mistakes and issues. Once we moved to Homebase, it instantly made things better.

My contractors were able to see their schedules instantly and at any time they needed it. The reminders an hour before their schedule help them to be on time for their shift. So we have fewer tardies. They can also check their payroll amount at any time during the month instead of having to wait until the end of the month when I am able to calculate it. They have also made schedule swaps easy.

It has helped my person who does the scheduling tremendously. It has helped her to be able to get our schedule done in a much faster and efficient way.

It has helped me complete payroll in a fast, easy effective way.

Cons

There are sometimes glitches, especially with the app. They are overall minor but can be a pain. For example, sometimes when there is a swap made on the app, it will show a notification, but when you go into the app it doesn't show the swap. Good thing we keep up with them in a chat or we would have no idea who was trying to swap.

Also, it is mostly geared towards companies with employees, this could be great if there could be modifications for people who have contractors and do not have to abide by the same restrictions, such as 8-hour shifts, working days consecutively, etc.

Earl
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great Scheduling Software for businesses of all sizes

Reviewed on 6/2/2024

Overall we love homebase. We started out using it as a test with just 1 location now we use it for 9 different businesses. Some of them have office staff, some remote/traveling staff that use GPS on app clock in/clock out and some have staff that clock in when they get to work using on location computers. It couldn't be quicker to set up and get started and the fact that you have a forever schedule history is an awesome feature. Plus depending on the features you need - you can try it out for free (as in free free - their starting price point is zero)

Pros

Simple interface, quick timesheet edits and complete edit/history tracking for all changes made to anything in their system.

Cons

The applicant tracking and job posting system is terrible. No app integration, mixed up listings if you have multiple businesses with different names, only one landing page listing jobs for all your locations combined...the list goes on. Skip this unless you are only one location or all of your businesses share the same brand/name.

Bobbie
  • Industry: Medical Practice

FREE Scheduling / Messaging

Reviewed on 28/11/2023

Have been blessed with the ability to utilize a free app that allows me to schedule crew members & allows them to message each other if schedules need to change. Our volunteer ambulance agency also frequently holds training for other departments, meaning that I can add crew members/roles while I have students & then can remove them once classes are completed. Other apps that I have used had caps on the number of persons allowed to be added & even after deleting a person they still counted on the total number, meaning I couldn't add anybody else.

Pros

Allows volunteer ambulance team members to communicate & monitor schedule on the go. If an emergency happens we can communicate with each other remotely.

Cons

Messages are at times delayed. I don't "blame" Homebase due to the quality of our cell service in our area has been poor the past few months.

Kevin
Kevin
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great system for employee time tracking.

Reviewed on 3/1/2019

Great experience! US-based representative whom were very kind, understanding and WILLING AND READY to resolve any and all issues when I needed to call to resolve the only issue I’ve ever had.

Pros

Homebase is extremely easy to set up employee time clock which happens to be free if your business has a single location and with a single location you may set it up for unlimited employees. For a small business owner where every dollar and cent matters, it’s a no brainer. A business owner may assign or allow the employee to set up their clock in and out code. Also, it may be set to take a photo of the employee during the clock in and out sessions to help or eliminate other employees from clocking in and out for them. Homebase offers an iPad, iPhone and an android app. You may also use your device's browser. We downloaded the app, installed it on an iPad for our employees to clock in and out on. The administrator has 100% access via web browser login. There’s also a feature which allows employees to clock in and out in the field which would geo-tag the location of the clocking activities.

Cons

Not a lot a negative things to say. This software is best if you have multiple employees who may have a staggered schedule. Example: an employee opens, then you have a mid day shift, then a closer. You also have many employees that may be out in the field. geo-tag is not the best choice for a single entrepreneur who’s trying to track their time, set up easier ways to do so.

Dawn

Great for Critial Access Hospital

Reviewed on 18/7/2020

It was really easy to set up, and its really easy to customize. I am still fine tuning things, but I can't believe how much time I save by using Homebase. We use it for a small rural hospital, and the nurses always have access to their schedules, can switch shifts and the touch of a button. I can't say enough about the support staff, they are always easy to deal with and follow up to make sure the issue was settled. The software is always being upgraded, and I love the new feature where I can see when they requested the shift and when it was approved. I can show the staff the information, and they can't argue that they didn't know they had that shift. So many great features.

Pros

The software is very easy to use, very easy to customize. I always have our schedule in my hand because it's on my phone. I'm able to most everything on my phone that I can do on my laptop. New staff have no difficulty navigating through the functions. Has made my life so much better

Cons

In the beginning there were some little kinks that I had to figure out, like some functions I can't see on the monthly view that I can see on the weekly view, but any questions I had were found on the help tab or my chatting with Homebase staff.

Wayne

A comprehensive, user friendly application that offers must-have features

Reviewed on 3/8/2016

This application was offered as part of our new Clover POS system. I began to use it to set up the employee schedules for a small (seven employee plus owners) business. The more I used it, the more impressed I was with it.

It provides every function that a small business like ours needed, taking a very tedious and error prone process and making it easy and transparent to handle. Being able to delegate certain tasks to key employees, auto notices sent for upcoming shifts, notification if someone hasn't clocked in within a set period for their shift, labor rate vs revenue analysis, end of year tax information gathering...and this was all in the free version that came with Clover!

All in all, I am both impressed and pleased with this package. It looks to me like the right team wrote the right code for the right objectives at the right price. How often does that happen in the software world?

Pros

Ease of use, nailed key functions needed, intelligent navigation, visually uncluttered despite having a lot of functionality.

Cons

It is not a shortcoming of the software but of non-technical users. The biggest problem I have had is bringing along the technophobes who are used to working with...wait for it...paper calendars and personal journals to keep up with. They yearn to be able to use something so powerful but blanch when they open the home screen and see what is available. It is about as user friendly as can be imagined but some still are so intimidated that it is hard to get them to dig in. When they do, they begin to appreciate the value that is provided.

The key is bringing the shy types along S L O W L Y. This software will sell itself once it is given a fair opportunity to shine. Just grit your teeth and work with them. It's more than worth the effort.

Christy

Definitely worth it

Reviewed on 22/10/2020

Overall this product and customer support have been great!

Overall this product and customer support have been great!

Pros

The reason that I started using g homebase was because it is linked to Square. However, even if I stopped using square I would still use homebase!

Cons

Some of the reports are difficult to configure and very time consuming to drill down to the data we need

When I Work

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Home base was linked to square

Justworks

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Again because HomeBase was linked to square
Angela
  • Industry: Automotive

One of the best software tools out there for small businesses

Reviewed on 5/3/2021

Scheduling, Clock in and outs, communication with employees, hiring - I use Homebase for all these features. I've made a couple of suggestions along the way and their customer support is superior. I feel heart or they find a solution for me that I didn't think of. Hands down, this is one of the best software decisions I've made for my company.

Pros

The scheduling feature and time clock were the two most important features in implementing this software. But since then, the Hiring feature has become so valuable. Honestly every feature they offer is superb and what a great value.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

• Industry: Entertainment

Does the job

Reviewed on 3/12/2020

Overall the app works well for what it was designed to do, keep track of timesheets. The customer service responds quickly and is very helpful.

Pros

The software does what its' meant to do, keep track of clocking in and out. This helps to supplement the payroll process greatly and is easy to access and use by out employees.

Cons

The scheduling function could be better. Our industry a little different, usually the work is project based. It would be nice to be able to schedule multiple people to one project with just a start time. We usually don't know when exactly a show will end, or when everyone will make it back so adding some flexibility would be very helpful. Even just having the ability to schedule multiple employees at the same time instead of having to click each one would be great.

QuickBooks Time

Cost.
KATIE

Time clock/HR pro review

Reviewed on 14/1/2021

Please see above under "pros". Pretty much sums it up. Easy to use as an administrator and for employees. I would recommend creating and HR pro tab from the homepage rather than navigating through the "team" tab.

Pros

I think it is fairly simple to use and for all questions I have I generally get quick answers from support. The free HR support offered during the pandemic was very generous and we ended up signing up. In past reviews I have stated that I think your pricing should be based on a sliding scale depending on how many employees a business has. For someone like myself, who only has 2 hourly employees I don't need to use HR pro much and may not be able to justify $800+ for annual renewal for minimal assist and usage. I do like the onboarding paperwork feature that was added as well.

Cons

I don't like that when publishing a schedule, the default on my version is to update all employees. Unfortunately, we had to furlough employees and if I don't manually change it, it defaults to alert all on our team even though they don't have a schedule or employed by us currently.

Jason
  • Industry: Hospitality

More than just employee time tracking

Reviewed on 17/2/2021

We started using Homebase for employee time tracking, but there are several features we have started to rely on and are really useful. Mainly posting new jobs on multiple job boards and tracking applicants. Also, this has become our tool for employee communications. I have talked to companies like Paychex that have similar product offerings, but they are much more expensive.

Pros

The core feature we needed was employee time tracking, but we have started using this for team communication and posting new jobs and tracking applicants.

Cons

I wish I could easier audit when the manager edits clock ins and clock outs.

Clover