Aplos

Accounting and giving software for nonprofits & churches.

4.5/5

Bonelle K.
  • Industry: Accounting

Aplos is great

Reviewed on 4/3/2021

The Fund Accounting is most helpful for the churches I help. The monthly reports are great to send to my clients so they can see where their money goes and how much they take in. On some clients, the WePay feature is great for online donations going right into Aplos. I love being able to message Aplos right from the client's account with questions.

Pros

The ease of use is best and the access to help in a timely matter.

Cons

You can't set up Vendors with a specific Account # like in QuickBooks.

Jennifer W.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Great Software Great Support

Reviewed on 30/9/2021

Pros

User friendly, provides fund accounting, integrated online giving, and customer service is great.

Cons

I would like to see some more report features

Brandon B.

Perfect Solution For A Church Plant

Reviewed on 4/1/2017

Starting a new church comes with a lot of tasks for a small group of people that are typically spread out between many in larger churches. We didn't have anyone with professional accounting experience, and we didn't need anything complicated to start out. Aplos was the perfect solution! They offered us a discount as a church plant, and got us moving in the right direction.

Now four years into the process, Aplos has grown with us. We have been able to easily add others to the account management, add new funds and new features as we have grown, and the customer service has been quick and helpful whenever we have needed it.

Some things I like best:
*easy to use
*the "dashboard" gives a quick read on finances at a glance
*fund-based accounting makes it easy to track various donations
*customer service is excellent
*cloud-based design makes access easy from anywhere

Things I would like to see improved:
*I would love to be able to integrate payroll with Aplos
*Report can be customized, but not always as much as we would like

Overall, this is an excellent product for the value and I would recommend it to anyone starting out.

Fund-based accounting
Cloud-based design
Scalable
Excellent customer support

Cons

Wish it included payroll integration
Would like to be able to customize reports more

Billy G.

Great Church Financial Software

Reviewed on 19/5/2012

After looking at several other church financial software products, we decided on Aplos Software and are very satisfied with the product. It meets all of our needs.

Pros

Aplos software is simple to use and the fund accounts can be easily customized and updated to fit your churches budget categories. Great for volunteer church treasurers. You don't have to be an accountant to use this software. After populating the people management tool and the account set up, all you have to do is enter contributions and maintain the check registry. All of the calculations are performed for you and the reports are built by the software. The reports in the report tool can be downloaded into excel or pdf and used to build monthly treasurer's reports or other budget statements. At the end of the year simply download the contribution statements report, hit print, and you are done. The cost is very affordable compared to other products. The customer service and technical support are outstanding.

Cons

We have had some compatability issues with Internet Explorer 9 in regard to downloading reports. However, the technical support folks at Aplos were quick to respond with a fix. We are a small church so I'm not sure if it would meet all the needs of a larger church. Aplos is expanding their capabilities.

Bev H.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 15/8/2018

We have used Aplos since December 2016, and their have been ongoing upgrades and improvements that enhance the operations of the system.

Pros

Improvements, enhancements and options available

Cons

too much additions too quickly without going back to current functions and reports and improving or modifying them.

James T.

Well Suited for Smaller Churches

Reviewed on 2/11/2018

The support provided us was exceptional from well-trained staff. Satisfied customers are an obvious objective of this company at every level.

Pros

The software's features and format, and setup flexibility, were almost ideal for our needs and preferences.

Cons

The setup process can take some effort so that the software can perform what is desired to be accomplished and is properly customized for it.

Stephanie R.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

After exploring a number of options, I chose Aplos.

Reviewed on 10/12/2017

I looked at a number of options for our accounting needs and felt that Aplos was the best option. I still believe that.

Pros

So far, so good. I am still getting my feed wet, but the functionality is good. We were able to integrate the donation form into our website and all seems to be working well. Customer service has been quick to follow up when I've had questions.

Cons

I wish there were more free-form options as they are some limitations with the donation form. They are not huge, but I hope to see more flexibility down the road. Also, the color options for the donation form are a bit limited with some odd color combinations (e.g., red with lavender). Thus far, the cons are minor overall.

Tyler W.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

They just keep getting better.

Reviewed on 10/1/2017

I have been with Aplos for probably over 4 years. While with every update there is a small learning curve, it is worth it. They continually add new features. The features are never just for the sake of it. Instead they are very useful. I am no accountant for sure, but I can navigate the software very easily and keep our budget working for us. Excellent customer service!

Pros

Logical Navigation

Cons

I have seen the cost rise as new features are launched.

Brendan S.

Love it!

Reviewed on 12/4/2017

We switched from QuickBooks Non Profit to Aplos last year and haven't looked back!

Pros

Fund based, ease of use

Cons

No way to enter recurring bills automatically

Don M.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great for church finances and more

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

Much more accurate accounting and record keeping, balancing with bank deposits.

Pros

We made the transition from paper to online accounting via Aplos. It is very easy to make entries and retrieve reports, keep up with contributions and even church membership.

Cons

Users with little computer experience could be put off a bit but that would be the case with any online accounting system.

Response from Aplos Software

Thank you for the valuable review, Don! We appreciate the fact you're enjoying Aplos.

Mary G.

Confusing

Reviewed on 14/1/2017

I have been working with this software for about 1 month now and some of the information is not going into the right accounts like I want. The information on the contacts loaded up wrong from my excel file, so you can't just erase and re-due the entries because once the name is connected to a payment then you can erase the names. Also, you can look up your check number by check unless you put each check you're looking for into the program sometimes they will come up and other times they will not. So it has been a real learning experience.

Pros

It shows us the breakdown of what coming in an expensed.

Cons

It's not really a church program for church business you have to create all of the accounts and hope you doing it correctly or things will not process correctly and you can't delete files once the number is used that you created to associate with the file.

Doug W.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Nice full-featured fund accounting software

Reviewed on 25/1/2019

Aplos support has been great to work with. We anticipate that we will be able to produce better management financial reports with this fund accounting software than we were able to do with our prior software firm.

Pros

Aplos is a well thought out fund accounting package, great for churches and other not-for-profits. Support has been great as we started up using Aplos after our prior software firm abandoned their product. Good online resources to learn from, and also conducted a very thorough live, on-line training call with us.

Cons

We'd like the ability to more tightly control access by user than the system is currently configured. For instance, we'd like to have some users able to print reports and make inquiries, but not enter or modify transactions.

William E.

Aplos a must-have for churches, particularly church plants

Reviewed on 15/5/2012

Buy this software for your church!

Pros

Menu layout; integration between accounting and contributions; like the ability to enter a person in contribution management and it automatically gets entered in people database; reports are what I need; flexibility in making improvements to the system; they listen well; ease of use, don't necessarily have to be a CPA to use it.

Cons

the refreshing after entering a transaction takes 2 or 3 seconds instead of a split second :-)

Response from Aplos Software

Thanks for the positive feedback, William. We have done a lot of work since your original comment to improve the speed of the software, so I hope it is now lightening fast for you.

Caitlin C.
  • Used for Free Trial

easy and fast reporting

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

Overall, I would recommend this software to others ten-fold. It very organized and I love the click down options.

Pros

What I like most about this software is how user-friendly it is, the ease of use, it's visually appealing, and easily accessible.

Cons

What I like least about this software is I wish there was an option or settings feature, like a check off list, that prompted the user for all things needed for being non-profit.

Aplos 2018 Review

Reviewed on 30/10/2018

Like the platform and the simplicity, I like that it is geared toward non-profit accounting, but I don't like the lack of integration and wide-spread adoption.

Pros

Aplos recently updated their software which made it more user friendly and improved the reporting side.

Cons

Aplos does not integrate with many vital accounting programs and required a lot of manual entry.

Lauren M.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Friendly to those who aren't finance-savvy!

Reviewed on 16/11/2017

As someone who has been afraid of setting up a chart of accounts, I am so glad that we picked Aplos. I feel like we are going to be able to organize and present our finances so much more professionally than ever before.

Pros

Aplos has many good Introductory materials, and does a lot to help you get set up. There is also good customer support, and helpful webinars for when questions do arise.

Cons

Aplos doesn't integrate with a number of applications, which would be helpful such as payroll, or most Donor Management platforms.

Maureen R.

Great Software. Highly Recommend!

Reviewed on 5/8/2011

Excellent. Highly recommend for those who are looking for an easy to use software. at under $20/month I can't find anything else that does what Aplos does for the price.

Pros

Easy to use. Able to access financials from any computer with internet access. MAC compatible. Great customer service. They respond very quickly to any emails/questions I've had.

Cons

Wish I could use the software more. I only do the books once a month!

Rebecca R.
  • Used for Free Trial

Focus is accounting

Reviewed on 2/1/2019

I was searching for a donor management CRM and Aplos was one of the software options sent my way. While I think they would be great for a company or NGO looking to centralize their accounting and other administrative and fundraising efforts, my organization already has accounting set up elsewhere and was looking for a CRM focused on the fundraising and donor relationship offer exclusively.

Pros

Comprehensive platform if you are looking to run accounting, donor management and prospecting, etc from one place

Cons

Heavy accounting focus and that isn't what we needed. No one contacted me by phone like other CRMs, so questioned their customer service.

Stephanie H.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Contribution tracker

Reviewed on 22/7/2017

Awesome customer service and very personable

Pros

The ease of use is fabulous it doesn't take rocket science to navigate. Also, the cost is very convenient

Cons

The new bank merging feature I like the previous one much better but it's manageable. It is just a little less user friendly

Chris J.

Aplos Fund Accounting Review

Reviewed on 13/10/2016

Aplos Fund Accounting is a great tool for accounting, it might not be as well known as Quickbooks it packs a lot under its hood.

Pros

It offers the tools that I was looking for, cloud based, multiple collaborators and even donor information.
Having it hosted removes the need for me or someone from my team to make sure it is always up to date and secure.

Cons

When I mentioned to our book keeper that I was looking into Aplos Fund Accounting she wasn't pleased as she was still learning quickbooks. Sometimes the name of the software can discourage people from moving forward.

Bruce G.

Bookkeeper

Reviewed on 4/1/2017

Aplos is the best fund accounting software ever. We switched from other software and now our life is much easier. Thank you.

Jeffrey R.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Aplos review

Reviewed on 11/7/2017

Pros

The software was easy to learn, as well as, the offered great customer support. I would recommend to others.

Cons

I did not like that you had to use a third party system to receive donations online. I wish Aplos had their own software.

Brandon B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Simple and easy, but with advanced features for those who need it.

Reviewed on 9/10/2018

We began using Aplos as a brand new church. They helped us every step of the way as we grew - absolutely stellar customer service! We still don't have the complexity that some larger churches do, but every time we have needed to add something, the capacity has been there. The one exception was the lack of payroll integration, which I understand that they are now adding but we have not used yet. What I love about the product is that it is easy for us who are new to accounting to use, but also robust enough that our treasure (CPA) is able to use it in more complex ways.

Pros

Cloud-based Accounting with multiple user accounts makes it easy to keep finances updated.
Clean, simple, straight-forward layout makes use easy.
Super-responsive customer service are always there when you need them.
Bank integration makes it easy to import transactions.
Contact management.
Reports are quick and easy to generate with customized data.
Ability to connect to online-giving.

Cons

At the moment we are unable to link families within the contact management system.
There are awesome graphs and charts on the dashboard, but unfortunately they do not have a lot of customization options or the ability to easily export.

Bart G.

Floats to the top

Reviewed on 18/1/2017

Aplos is doing the job for me. Some things are frustrating, but mostly, it's better than doing things by hand or by spreadsheet. Occasionally odd things happen. For instance, it's now January 17, and the home page is telling me that my YTD income is different from my monthly income. This can't be true in January. Similar things happen in some reports. The balance sheet will say that a fund has X dollars, but the report for that fund will say Y dollars. So there are some quirks to get around, but it's no worse than making a spreadsheet (or other software that knows nothing about fund accounting) behave. I like the reports Aplos generates. Especially at the end of the year, when everyone in our congregation wants a statement for their taxes. It's really just one button. If I were the boss of Aplos, the first thing I'd change is that I'd clean up the wasted screen real-estate. There's a button on the bottom right that has a bad habit of covering half the number I want to see, and pop-up "alerts" occasionally disrupt my work. And the box the pop-ups come from is also wasted screen area. Actually, this box keeps telling me I'm 85% set up. It's wrong. I'm as set up as I want to be. I can't see how to make the box go away, except to buy more product which I don't need. This amounts to a pop-up ad, and not the good kind. So this isn't a glowing review. But software nowadays is written so poorly, that bare competence floats to the top. Aplos is better than anything else I've used, but that's not saying a lot. If they raise the price again, I'm going back to spreadsheets.

Pros

Fairly clean interface. Most reports are close to what I want.

Cons

It's still buggy. Amounts that should match, don't always. The cost has tripled in the last 3 years.

Response from Aplos Software

Hi Bart,

If the numbers are off by a few dollars, this may be due to rounding. If you¿d like, our Support Team would be happy to look into this to give you a more specific answer. Please feel free to reach out to our Support Team at [email protected]

For the Setup alert:
You can click on the Go To Setup button and choose some of the options like, I don¿t want to set Starting Balances. Or, there are feature options that you can say ¿no¿ to, like Contributions. This should help clear that alert.

Also, sorry that the bottom right icon is a bit pesky. We want you to be able to contact our Support Team if you ever have questions, so that¿s why it¿s there, but we realize that it can sometimes get in the way. That¿s a suggestion that we¿re happy to pass along to our development team.

The Aplos Team

Debra S.

New to Fund Accounting

Reviewed on 17/3/2021

I do not have another Fund Accounting Software to compare Aplos to, but I can't imagine that anyone could offer better Customer Service. They are very helpful, and help resolve issues. This would be a number one reason for using Aplos, not knowing if other companies provide the same level of Service...I can't say if they are the best, but they are very helpful.

Pros

I really like the Reconciliation process...it is simple to understand and works perfectly. I value the support that Aplos provides. I am new to Fund Accounting, with NO experience at all, but I have been with Aplos for over a year and they are always willing to take the time to help me figure out how to fix what I didn't understand and a good way to proceed.

Cons

I am unhappy that I cannot find a Vendor to do a new A/P Entry..instead have to scroll thru pages to find the one I'm looking for, a simple search would suffice. I also find reporting to be a bit confusing....it is not intuitive...it sometimes takes several steps (that are not obvious) to get the report I need. Additionally, I believe that the price per month should include a second user, for dual control purposes, for instance a second person to do Bank Reconciliations.