OnPay

Write a Review!
Award-winning payroll and HR that move businesses forward

4.9/5
4.7/5
4.7/5
4.8/5

Colin
Colin

Easy to use with great customer service.

Reviewed on 29/11/2018

Onpay does make payroll a breeze! It's one of the best returns on an expenditure in my business. The time saved and the psychic energy it frees up makes me very happy!

Pros

Their online portal is easy to use. Once you're set up all the information you need for managing payroll/taxes/pto etc is at your fingertips. My wife and I both have separate companies and I do the payroll for both. I'd been using ADP in my business for 8 years but I started her with Onpay about 16 months ago to give it a shot. I'll be switching my co. to Onpay as of the 1st of the New Year.

Cons

The integration with Quickbooks was a little difficult to find and implement in the beginning. The customer service folks were very helpful but I think that could use a little redesign to make it a little more intuitive and eliminate the need for CS coaching.

Craig
  • Industry: Accounting

Wish all software was this easy

Reviewed on 1/2/2020

Onpay has streamlined the payroll process for me. I run my clients payroll in a fraction of the time and for a fraction of the cost.

Pros

The ease of setup, integration, and running payroll. They have simplified the process. Also the price is a fraction of other payroll companies.

Cons

There are a few features i would like to see added, such as automatic payroll.

Paychex Flex

Price and service.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

Paychex is very difficult to integrate with QBO and cost considerably more.
dave
  • Industry: Telecommunications

OnPay made multiple tax errors and took months and months to respond

Reviewed on 19/11/2023

Overall I would not recommend OnPay. It was a bad experience due to tax errors and integrations that did not work. The net result is OnPay caused our small business to receive hundreds of dollars of fees and interest plus more in accounting costs.

Pros

OnPay is fine as long as you don't need any support. Their support team is slow and error-prone. If you are doing payroll for a small business you probably need some level of support.

Cons

The problem with OnPay is this... They often misfiled wage withholding with state government. Sometimes they made calculation errors. Other times they filed a day or two late. Either way, it cost fees, interest, and time to resolve the issue. The biggest problem was how long it took OnPay to even respond to these issue. For example, I once submitted a ticket on on [sensitive content hidden], and had OnPay submit a response on [sensitive content hidden]
. For another incident they simple never responded.

Also, OnPay did not honor the first month free that they advertise.

Suzan

Great Product, Great Support!

Reviewed on 24/7/2020

Direct Deposit for our employees is fantastic (I do not give anyone options, ever), the reporting and paying of the taxes is huge. And if I mess up, OnPay is there for me!

Pros

The interface is simple, and the updates that occur have never caused any problems, but have added functionality that was missing in the very beginning (for example, scheduling a pay rate change). I also like the ability to import into QuickBooks.

I like that On Pay pays the taxes for us! Prior to moving to OnPay, I was constantly getting adjustments on on payroll taxes from the state of the feds - that never happens anymore.

Support staff is amazing.

The reports are good and getting better.

Cons

The reports are getting better - and recently new options have been added, so that is great. I

Gayle

OnPay

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

They have been great at helping me with IRS issues.

They have been great at helping me with IRS issues.

Pros

Reports section is a great resource. I like being able to get a year to date tally on hours, income, retirement contributions, etc.

Cons

The new employee set up is a bit tedious.

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

SurePapyroll was expensive and not easy to use.

SurePayroll

Great product, great pricing
Raquel
  • Industry: Printing

Payroll Is Now A Breeze

Reviewed on 24/9/2019

OnPay has made doing payroll enjoyable. They are quick to answer questions or concerns. They do the filings for multiple states for the same price. They will even do the year end reports like W-2s and W-3s. The ease of use is exceptional.

Pros

What I like the most is the employee portal option, as well as the ease of pulling payroll tax reports. It's very easy to make changes as needed to employees profiles.

Cons

What I like least is the function to pay Paid time off, or any other benefit, it's not as intuitive to use it. It took me a little while to figure it out.

QuickBooks Enterprise and Xero

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

The accountant doing our payroll was not very good at keeping up the different reports for the states. It was a practical decision to bring payroll in-house in order to make the changes we needed to make effectively.

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

OnPay provided services for all 50 states, they did all the filings at a flat rate, and their prices were unbeatable!
Steve
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Exceptional Payroll Software

Reviewed on 24/1/2023

Everything about payroll is a nightmare for any business, but more importantly for small business in America. Since we are working throughout many states and cities across the country, OnPay makes this all so simplistic and easy to maintain compliances.

Pros

Simplistic integration with our existing employee database, user friendly to add new employees and contractors, Customer service is exceptional when called upon for help.

Cons

Cost is a bit on the high side, but I attribute this to the outstanding support and ease of use. Both factors which are paramount for our industry and the constant changes from state to state regarding payroll reporting etc.

Silvia

Super easy and very modestly priced

Reviewed on 24/2/2022

I'm primarily a web designer, who was thrust into the role of administrator as well. I have trouble with paperwork, and OnPay has been a lifesaver. It's extremely easy to set up and use, and once set up, most features are automatic. Reports are easy to create and review as well, great for end-of-the-year admin and taxes, and reminders keep me on track.

Pros

Ease of use, automation and reminders. I love the fact that they take care of payroll reporting and tax obligations. Entering new employees is a breeze, and so is running the payroll.

Cons

After several years of use, I honestly couldn't find anything wrong with this service.

Alisha
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 23/10/2020

My overall experience is good. The cost and customer support team make it a no brainer.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the ease ofnavigation. Being able toggle between areas is helpful to verifying information. But I feel that this companies best feature is their customer support department. Every time I have had to call, their representatives are always polite and can fix any of my problems.

Cons

I sometimes have issues with the pair time off or vacation algorithms. This is the feature that as given me more phone time w/ customer support.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

At the time of purchase, the cost was the overall consideration.
Emir
Emir

OnPay is the one and only outstanding payroll software

Reviewed on 21/10/2021

OnPay is a great payroll software that offers great support to its users. With the help of this tool, you can easily call, chat, and even email. Moving on to the usability of this software, I think that there is a slight learning curve when it comes to payroll functionality but still thanks to my team because they helped me efficiently walk through the process.

Pros

Onpay is really easy to use plus printing reports and even deriving employee information is quite easy. It is one of the most efficient and effective payroll software that we have been using all across our organization. This software has easily enabled us to categorize different departments of our organization in an easy and hassle-free way. The tool is really quick in terms of responsiveness which I really admire. Onpay has always been really helpful throughout we have been a customer. All our payroll-related queries are resolved with OnPay. All in all, this is one of my essential products for our company.

Cons

OnPay is providing excellent services. I have not faced any big issues while using this payroll program.

Heather
  • Industry: Automotive

Very Easy to Use and Very Reliable

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

Every time I have had to call OnPay I have had a great experience.

Every time I have had to call OnPay I have had a great experience.

Pros

I love using this payroll software. The price is very reasonable, running weekly payroll is simple. Finding reports that I need is super easy.

Cons

Sometimes the employee profiles are difficult to navigate in order to look up or update info. It's not something that is prohibitive to the use overall though.

Silas

Onpay is a must for small businesses

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

Pros

Ease of setup, logical workflow with double checks and warnings, this product pays for itself with its time-savings which allowing me to focus on growing my business rather than writing endless checks.

Cons

There really are no downfalls with Onpay, other than I have not had the need to utilize every tool it provides. But maybe someday as my business grows Im happy knowing OnPay is there if I need more tools.

Donald
  • Industry: Accounting

OnPay software worked well for microbusinesses with little knowledge about payroll and payroll...

Reviewed on 4/2/2020

I no longer provide payroll services or payroll tax preparation services to my clients. In an environment where payroll tax requirements are rapidly changing, such as the new W-4 form, it is helpful for me to offload client payroll processing to a cloud-based payroll service provider. Yet, I can still occasionally check in to help clients if there are any concerns.

Pros

The software was very easy to use. I'm a CPA who converted my clients who process payroll to this software. The change went well. I received good support when I needed it. My clients, some of whom have very limited knowledge about processing payroll and payroll taxes, made the change and are doing well. Where support was required the OnPay staff worked with my clients, or with me to accomplish the goal.

Cons

This change-over was done in December to be effective with the new year. Sometimes there was some difficulty processing the first weekly payroll which overlapped both years, but was paid in the new year. Ultimately OnPay support helped us work through the issues.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

The price was less and the product appeared easier to use which was very important to my clients who only had 1 or 2 employees.
Miriam

Great (probably the best) online payroll service

Reviewed on 6/12/2018

I really love this online payroll service. After a lot of research of a variety of payroll options, we moved from Paychex to OnPay a couple of years ago and it was absolutely the right move. I can't speak for large companies, but for small and medium sized companies I do believe this is the best, most reliable and most economical service available.

Pros

I run a small business and onpay is perfect for processing our payroll. Some of the features we love:
1) Easy to use interface
2) Employees enter all their own bank information, withholdings, etc.
2) Employees can log in to download their own tax forms, details of previous pay runs, etc. (I don't need to print or distribute these forms or information.)
3) Onpay takes care of all the appropriate taxes, etc.
4) Although I am on a biweekly pay cycle, I can run a payroll whenever I want. (For instance, I can make a separate holiday bonus run)
5) I can easily switch between paper checks or direct deposit if needed
6) It's easy to adjust an employees pay or add other categories of payment
7) Great customer support. Whenever I have had a question or needed assistance, I have had the answer pleasantly and quickly
8) It's a great value and you get what is promised. I don't get any emails asking me to purchase other services or upgrade or other things that I don't need.
9) The transition from our previous payroll service to Onpay was easy and seamless.

Cons

When I am out of the country, I have a hard time running payroll. I know this has to do with internet security, but I wish there was a straight-forward way to accommodate this issue.

Austin

Easy to use but reporting incorrect taxes

Reviewed on 14/6/2021

Leaving end of year to quickbooks even though more expensive. The failure on tax reporting alone is reason to go elsewhere

Pros

Easy to use and automatically syncs with Guideline, our 401k.

Cons

They keep messing up taxes. Twice in 6 months they failed to calculate taxes which ended up with my accountant having to deal with IRS. Worst part, it took 2 months to get response from support as they are too busy.

QuickBooks Payroll

Cheaper

Response from OnPay

We're sorry to hear your feedback, Austin, and we'd love to see if there's anything else we can do to help. Someone from our team will be reaching out shortly (if they haven't already). Or feel free to call 877-328-6505 to reach a member of our support team who can assist you.

Franklin
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Perfect Payroll Service for Small Nonprofit

Reviewed on 1/3/2022

For many years we used a CPA firm to handling bookkeeping, payroll and IRS reporting for our small nonprofit organization with 1-3 employees. For payroll they computed the amounts but did not actually write any checks. We had to do that. Also, we had to make the tax payments to the IRS and the State. And for this they charged over $150/month. And when they prepared the Quarterly Payroll reports, they charged about $150 as well. We let them go for another reason....but when we did we still needed to deal with payroll. With OnPay we decided to do it ourselves. The differences is like night and day. OnPay handles the computation of payroll, moves the payroll funds and taxes from our bank account and Direct Pays the employees & contractors and files and pays the IRS and State taxes all as part of their normal charge. Not only did we save a lot of money in the process, but we also saved a lot of time compared to what we had to do before OnPay. For our nonprofit it was the perfect fit.

Pros

Assuming everything is set up for the employee or contractor, all that we need to do for each payroll run is just enter the hours. OnPay takes care of the behind the scenes transfer of money as well as the Direct Deposit to the accounts of the employees or contractor and all the related payments and reporting functions. Simple and easy to do.

Cons

It is not a problem for our small organization but I can see how the software would be very cumbersome if the number of employees or contractors to be paid would be very large. Probably over 25 would be pushing it on the input.

Chelsea
  • Industry: Accounting

Great solution for payroll needs

Reviewed on 3/6/2022

Onpay has streamlined and simplified the tax filing and payroll processing side of running a business. It saves a lot of time and is easy to navigate.

Pros

Onpay takes a task that would normally be complicated and simplifies it while making the whole process very streamlined. The features and functionality make it easy to do everything you need to do.

Cons

Sometimes it is slow to load pages. The navigation to get to previous tax filings are a little bit confusing for client users.

Dotti
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Since 2013

Reviewed on 21/10/2021

It’s been a challenge and a satisfying one. Just when I think I’ve used all that OnPay has to offer, I discover another service to integrate into my shortcuts and improve information availability.

Pros

OnPay has evolved over the years with new versions and added more services. The more I have seen upgrades the more I love OnPay. HR integrations, time management, workers compensation, benefits, and more. I love the challenge to incorporate and enhance new reports and learn the value of OnPay’s intentions for their customers. I also appreciate their support staff. They are well trained and friendly and professional with good attitudes.

Cons

I had a learning curve to go thru like any one might. The support staff was helpful but I wasn’t feeling very confident. It wasn’t long before I understood more & more about their trajectory with the software. I grabbed that knowledge and searched for more that was availability. I’m still on that path and still learning more and more.

Dante
  • Industry: Fine Art

Easy and On Point

Reviewed on 6/6/2021

Love OnPay. Recommend it to anyone looking for easy but robust payroll solution.

Pros

OnPay makes payroll lickety-split simple. Handles all the taxes seamlessly. Real easy to use. Any time a curveball comes my way the support is great. Of all the things out there supposed to make life easier for small business owners, most don't pan out. But OnPay is truly a great solution for us. Been using it for 5 years now. Oh, side note, they even made FFCRA tracking easy and immediate during COVID.

Cons

Not much to complain about. Only thing I wish they could change is there's no way (that I know of, and never asked) to post-date a pay run. When doing the month's second pay run (we do payroll bi-monthly) for example, last day of payroll was May 31st. So I'm doing payroll June 1st, I can't make check date May 31. I wish I could so the reporting would show up in May instead of June. Getting ticky tacky here, but the question asked "what do I like least."

Steven
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

On Pay is a valuable product

Reviewed on 19/9/2023

The experience has been very positive. There has been an overall time savings for payroll and tax filings.

Pros

The cost is competitive, it is easy/convenient to use. .

Cons

It requires a separate payroll journal entry in the company's accounting software. However, it takes no more time to do that then it previously took to generate payroll in the accounting software.

Horton

Great Value in my opinion.

Reviewed on 22/4/2021

OnPay is a great company to work with. Representatives reached out to me very early on to help me with any questions that I had and even to offer to do as much of the onboarding process as I would like for them to do. They have continued to reach out to ensure that everything is going as planned and to make sure any new questions I might have are answered and addressed.

Pros

This is incredibly easy to set up and manage. The team at OnPay will even do as much of the work as you would like onboarding at no additional cost to you.

Cons

The only things that I have run across so far is that it would be quite nice to be able to see an employees length of time with the company in their profile. Their hire date is there so it should be easy to calculate and display alongside that hire date.

The second thing I would like to see improved is the creation of time off calculations. That section was a little confusing during set up and still does not seem to be working perfectly yet for us.

LIZ
  • Industry: Farming

Great Payroll Done with the Least Amount of Problems

Reviewed on 31/3/2020

I have worked with accounting firms in the past. They are expensive and required more 'hands - on' than was convenient. Hiring an accounting firm was always more expensive.
On Pay is a brilliant setup that is as easy-as-pie.
However, if I need any questions answered they are immediate with response and help.

Pros

Using the On Pay interface was very easy and logical. It took me no time to pay my employees. The format is easy to navigate and the setup is quite user friendly.
I like that I need not fuss with taxes and other payroll distributions. It is all done right here.
My employees get direct deposit and end of year tax documentation.
I get a running narrative of where I stand at anytime I wish, as pertains to payroll.

Cons

I have yet to find fault with On Pay. Any questions or help was very quickly offered.
Being in agriculture has its own areas of tax and qualifications, and On Pay was ready to go with what I needed.

Shayla
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Make's Life Better

Reviewed on 25/5/2021

Pros

OnPay was a game changer for our company and has made the payroll process simple and pain free. The best part is that their customer service ROCKS and is full of helpful people. Very happy and plan to stay for a long time. Thanks!

Cons

Time Tracking App / where employees can login using an app from this platform. We currently use TimeStation

Jamie
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

OnPay makes payroll easy

Reviewed on 26/9/2023

OnPay has been great overall. Easy to use and inexpensive.

OnPay has been great overall. Easy to use and inexpensive.

Pros

Running payroll biweekly is quite easy with OnPay. It takes me very little time to do it and it gets deposited in my employee’s accounts quickly. I also really like how easy it was to get worker’s comp set up and am getting ready to add in the retirement integration.

Cons

I work with a piece rate system and that has been a bit difficult to set up through OnPay since it is not a typical hourly or salary position. I have found a work around.

Sylvie
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

A must for any size business when starting your Payroll or HR department

Reviewed on 25/6/2020

I have had many interactions with Onpay employees. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. It is a company that is reachable when you are working on payroll. If you are afraid of making a mistake they are here to assist.

Pros

It was very easy to set up as a first time small business owner. It only took few hours to do the initial set up but I was able to have direct deposit done for my first employee on the payroll day. Now Onpay offers more HR features than it did 5 years ago. My recommendation to a new business owner, is to take advantage of that function or feature at the beginning of the set up and allow a little more time to get it done correctly.

Cons

When they are changes, features are moved around and it is hard to find them but with Chat, it is easy to get someone to help you right away. I do not see any negatives apart from that.