OnPay

Award-winning payroll and HR that move businesses forward

4.9/5
4.7/5
4.8/5
4.8/5

Colin

Easy to use with great customer service.

Reviewed on 29/11/2018

Onpay does make payroll a breeze! It's one of the best returns on an expenditure in my business. The time saved and the psychic energy it frees up makes me very happy!

Pros

Their online portal is easy to use. Once you're set up all the information you need for managing payroll/taxes/pto etc is at your fingertips. My wife and I both have separate companies and I do the payroll for both. I'd been using ADP in my business for 8 years but I started her with Onpay about 16 months ago to give it a shot. I'll be switching my co. to Onpay as of the 1st of the New Year.

Cons

The integration with Quickbooks was a little difficult to find and implement in the beginning. The customer service folks were very helpful but I think that could use a little redesign to make it a little more intuitive and eliminate the need for CS coaching.

David
  • Industry: Accounting

Our go-to payroll software!

Reviewed on 9/11/2021

Pros

The best part about Onpay for us, is not only the ease of use, but the ability to set up Onpay so it maps to Quickbooks Online, so we don't have to make any adjustments later. Also, we are super thankful for Onpay's support as they are always super friendly and make sure any payroll challenges we have are resolved.

Also, we really like the liabilities always balance. We struggled with other software, mainly quickbooks, where there are always odd amounts of payroll liabilities hanging in the account all the time.

Cons

We have an accountant dashboard, and we can't see our invoices directly, we have them sent to us each month. Billing isn't wonky or anything, we just don't have open access to the billing from our side. If it was the client's billing account, their billing activity shows up for them.

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

Mainly because of the flexibility to map items into QBO, and to get the type of reporting we needed. Onpay allows us to handle both smaller clients with a few employees and larger clients with many employees. And, has minimal upkeep... run payroll, it syncs, and we're good.

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

Because Onpay did what we needed it to regarding mapping accounts, classes, locations, etc in a variety of ways. And has great support.
Austin

Easy to use but reporting incorrect taxes

Reviewed on 14/6/2021

Leaving end of year to quickbooks even though more expensive. The failure on tax reporting alone is reason to go elsewhere

Pros

Easy to use and automatically syncs with Guideline, our 401k.

Cons

They keep messing up taxes. Twice in 6 months they failed to calculate taxes which ended up with my accountant having to deal with IRS. Worst part, it took 2 months to get response from support as they are too busy.

QuickBooks Payroll

Cheaper

Response from OnPay

We're sorry to hear your feedback, Austin, and we'd love to see if there's anything else we can do to help. Someone from our team will be reaching out shortly (if they haven't already). Or feel free to call 877-328-6505 to reach a member of our support team who can assist you.

Amy
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

The features we need at a great price

Reviewed on 26/10/2022

Excellent. Simple to use, clear records and communication, easy integrations.

Pros

OnPay provides all the payroll, tax compliance, and vacation tracking services we need, in an easy to use interface. Our previous payroll company had no way to denote a QSEHRA, and provided poor customer service. OnPay is responsive, helpful, and innovative, especially around many COVID changes and services.

Cons

Sorry that the price is increasing, but I get it.

Gusto

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

No ability to document QSEHRA payments.

Price and ease of use
Michael

Used For a Company of Contractors

Reviewed on 29/7/2020

Over the years we have very much appreciated the way OnPay listens to us and impliments our suggestions and features that work for our company.

Pros

We like being able to add new contractors and allowing an invitation to go out to the employee to log in and finish their own set up by adding their banking information.
We like being able to see a payment history made to the employee.
We like the ease of making direct deposit to employees.

Cons

We would rather enter contractors as contractors rather than employees which is easier to set up. Right now we have to add the 1099 Misc payment addon.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

We wanted a company to do all the heavy lifting for us, and have the ability for employees to have access to their own tax documents that they can download themselves as they need. The cost of not having to mail out 1099 misc forms covers a major portion of the cost of OnPay.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

We felt our inquires were answered with concern for our needs.
Mike

Great Payroll Software

Reviewed on 8/6/2020

I have really enjoyed using this software. It is our companies third payroll software vendor and as long as they continue to operate the way they do it will be our last.

Pros

The fact that you can modify employee information, add/subtract new employees, and make changes all while right in the middle of running a payroll. It is also very valuable that they allow you to run as many payroll instances as you need. For instance if you have an employee that forgot to add to their time sheet you can go back and generate another payroll for that one employee with no additional charges.

Cons

Some of the elements of the software are not intuitive and it is very difficult at times to deal with tax related issues through the software. Customer service is usually really helpful and most questions can be answered through chat.

ADP TotalSource

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

Frustrated with cost, lack of flexibility in how the software can be used, poor customer service, and continually introducing new price increases.

Simplicity, cost, functionality
Lucretia
  • Industry: Building Materials
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

OnPay makes payroll easy

Reviewed on 21/7/2021

Overall, I'm satisfied with OnPay. I'm still fairly new to the program, so I'm still discovering features and benefits. I'm sure with time, it will become even easier to use.

Pros

OnPay makes is fast and easy to run every payroll. A few clicks and you're done. OnPay took care of all the on-boarding and saved me lots of time.

Cons

The Tax Liability Report doesn't have a total amount for each payroll, so I have to use the Payroll Summary Report to get the tax total, which isn't a big deal anyway. I'd also like to see a screen that indicates what liabilities have been paid and with a confirmation number.

Gusto and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

We switched because payroll was the only module we were using in QB and it's too expensive to use for just payroll. We weren't able to utilize QB for any other applications.

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

Price and features were better with OnPay
Susan

Affordable small business payroll software

Reviewed on 31/3/2022

Pros

It was the most affordable option we found for payroll software that met our needs and has simplified our payroll processes so much!

Cons

Setup was a little complicated, but once we figured it out, it's been a great help!

Brent
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Reliable Low Cost Option for Business of 10-50 Employees

Reviewed on 23/8/2022

Great experience so far over our first 2-3 months. Would definitely recommend.

Pros

It is very simple and straight forward. Pricing seems fair. Customer support always helpful and responsive.

Cons

The reporting section could be a bit more robust allowing for export of full YTD or by-date range detail rather than simply on a per paycheck basis.

Jasha

This software does exactly what I need - Pay folks, keep track of the taxes.

Reviewed on 7/12/2017

I don't have to learn and keep up with tax laws. I don't have to pay Kelly Services to keep up with payroll for a single part time employee. It's super easy to use and my employee gets notice that payroll has been processed as soon as I submit it. We use direct deposit and employee loves that. The software saves me time and money and gets the job done right with almost no effort on my part.

Pros

I run a small business with one part-time employee. Onpay is easy to use for weekly pay. They pay my employee, allowing her to split between checking and savings. They make the deductions required by law and do the filings. In essence, they do everything except enter the time my employee worked each week. It's very, very easy to use. Useful reports are available when they are needed. I've not used customer support, that's why I rated it 3 stars.

Cons

The initial set up took a little effort, and I remembering it being not real clear. I have not had any other problems.

Amy
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Full function, clear UX, low cost

Reviewed on 5/4/2020

Overall, it's been very positive. They have what our organization needs at a good price, and are easy to use.

Pros

I chose OnPay because they offered an easy-to-use QSEHRA designation, which our previous provider SurePayroll did not. I am tremendously pleased with OnPay. The page layouts are clear, reasonably intuitive and very easy to set up, and they keep introducing smart upgrades which make tools even easier to find. They also have excellent customer service, by chat, phone, or email.

Cons

It could be clearer to set up PTO/vacation/sick policies. I also don't know why I can't delete double notifications when employees get paid.

Gusto

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

SurePayroll did not have an ability to designate and track QSEHRA payments, and had absolutely maddening customer service.

Price and ease of use.
Suzan

Great Product, Great Support!

Reviewed on 24/7/2020

Direct Deposit for our employees is fantastic (I do not give anyone options, ever), the reporting and paying of the taxes is huge. And if I mess up, OnPay is there for me!

Pros

The interface is simple, and the updates that occur have never caused any problems, but have added functionality that was missing in the very beginning (for example, scheduling a pay rate change). I also like the ability to import into QuickBooks.

I like that On Pay pays the taxes for us! Prior to moving to OnPay, I was constantly getting adjustments on on payroll taxes from the state of the feds - that never happens anymore.

Support staff is amazing.

The reports are good and getting better.

Cons

The reports are getting better - and recently new options have been added, so that is great. I

Raquel
  • Industry: Printing

Payroll Is Now A Breeze

Reviewed on 24/9/2019

OnPay has made doing payroll enjoyable. They are quick to answer questions or concerns. They do the filings for multiple states for the same price. They will even do the year end reports like W-2s and W-3s. The ease of use is exceptional.

Pros

What I like the most is the employee portal option, as well as the ease of pulling payroll tax reports. It's very easy to make changes as needed to employees profiles.

Cons

What I like least is the function to pay Paid time off, or any other benefit, it's not as intuitive to use it. It took me a little while to figure it out.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and Xero

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

The accountant doing our payroll was not very good at keeping up the different reports for the states. It was a practical decision to bring payroll in-house in order to make the changes we needed to make effectively.

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

OnPay provided services for all 50 states, they did all the filings at a flat rate, and their prices were unbeatable!
Julien
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Great Product

Reviewed on 20/10/2021

Pros

The customer support is fantastic, they are always solving the issue and help when they can.
The software is easy to use and the portal for employees reduces a lot of the previous communication with employees (where is my paystub? my w2?)

Cons

sometimes if there is a feature you are not familiar with, you will require tech support.

QuickBooks Payroll and Gusto

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

affordability and it's like shopping local rather than the big box
Silas

Onpay is a must for small businesses

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

Pros

Ease of setup, logical workflow with double checks and warnings, this product pays for itself with its time-savings which allowing me to focus on growing my business rather than writing endless checks.

Cons

There really are no downfalls with Onpay, other than I have not had the need to utilize every tool it provides. But maybe someday as my business grows Im happy knowing OnPay is there if I need more tools.

David

OnPay Review

Reviewed on 27/5/2020

This is a great service. It has helped reduce our payroll costs by a ton, and is way easier to use than other systems. The reporting is great too. I love this service. i wouldn't use anything else.

Pros

Very easy to use and I love that it is NOT Expensive.

Cons

Voiding Checks/Direct Deposits is a pain. Also, I wish each employee had a default that it would change back to for each payroll run. For example, I might pay someone a bonus one week, I don't need that bonus to be paid next week, however it shows up again and I have to remember to remove it. Same with any deductions, so If I need to deduct and advance one week, I don't need it to be deducted again. Anyway, does that make sense? I also wish I could make 2 or 3 checks for one person on the same payroll run, instead of doing multiple payroll runs. I feel a few changes in these areas would make it so much better than it already is.

Paychex Flex

Cost

Paylocity

Cost
Danielle

Easy to Implement and Train

Reviewed on 29/1/2020

The customer service is amazing when you have an issue.

Pros

We recommend this software to our clients because of the ease of use, and inexpensive cost. The QBO integration saves hours of manual data entry.

Cons

The PTO accruals were not really straight forward

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Ease of use and cost
Gina
  • Industry: Veterinary
  • Used for 6-12 months

Great Payroll Company

Reviewed on 25/6/2020

Overall OnPay is great. This is my first Payroll experience so I don’t have a comparison but they have made the experience very positive. I have had them log in to my computer and walk me through every step. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is amazing I hesitate to tell you all for fear she will get too busy helping the rest of you hahaha

Pros

The layout is user friendly. I am a first time business owner so doing payroll was new and OnPay was easy.
They are affordable, same great service for much less than other companies.
Customer service is outstanding !! They have been terrific at walking me through the process and resolving any issues I’ve ever had.

Cons

I’m not a very active company as far as payroll and it would be nice if there was a lower cost option for when you aren’t submitting payroll but still need monthly tax forms filed. They have a suspended rate Which does this but was a bit high.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

The other companies were very expensive.
Chelsea
  • Industry: Accounting

Great solution for payroll needs

Reviewed on 3/6/2022

Onpay has streamlined and simplified the tax filing and payroll processing side of running a business. It saves a lot of time and is easy to navigate.

Pros

Onpay takes a task that would normally be complicated and simplifies it while making the whole process very streamlined. The features and functionality make it easy to do everything you need to do.

Cons

Sometimes it is slow to load pages. The navigation to get to previous tax filings are a little bit confusing for client users.

Peter

OnPay satisfaction

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

The big problem solved over the previous provider experience is the quality of customer service. Instead of being handed from 'specialist' to 'specialist', and putting up with constant confusion, mis communication and errors, OnPay are just on it. When you talk or communicate with OnPay you communicate with a real person who knows their business, what your business needs, their software, and who won't stop working with you personally until you are completely happy.

Pros

Visually intuitive platform that takes what is a central admin process from functional to pleasurable.
OnPay offers simple, clear, visually attractive navigation for both the admins and the employees. Multiple reports options with the same visual simplicity and clarity, all easily sharable and usable. By comparison to the alternative payroll software we used prior, OnPay feels like its been designed by users, and not by accounting mechanics.

Cons

The OnPay software just works, if there are problems, or least likes, can't think of anything significant.

MICHAEL
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Pleased with OnPay Service

Reviewed on 25/5/2021

Overall experience has been very positive. On the few occasions when I have had to contact customer service , response has been quick and accurate.

Pros

I like that it is easily accessible both on desktop and mobile app. It is very easy to use and once you learn the homepage, its very easy to navigate for items that you need.

Cons

I haven't been able to find too much about the service or site that I don't like.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

Price, service, accessibility, mobile access
LIZ
  • Industry: Farming

Great Payroll Done with the Least Amount of Problems

Reviewed on 31/3/2020

I have worked with accounting firms in the past. They are expensive and required more 'hands - on' than was convenient. Hiring an accounting firm was always more expensive.
On Pay is a brilliant setup that is as easy-as-pie.
However, if I need any questions answered they are immediate with response and help.

Pros

Using the On Pay interface was very easy and logical. It took me no time to pay my employees. The format is easy to navigate and the setup is quite user friendly.
I like that I need not fuss with taxes and other payroll distributions. It is all done right here.
My employees get direct deposit and end of year tax documentation.
I get a running narrative of where I stand at anytime I wish, as pertains to payroll.

Cons

I have yet to find fault with On Pay. Any questions or help was very quickly offered.
Being in agriculture has its own areas of tax and qualifications, and On Pay was ready to go with what I needed.

Shayla
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Make's Life Better

Reviewed on 25/5/2021

Pros

OnPay was a game changer for our company and has made the payroll process simple and pain free. The best part is that their customer service ROCKS and is full of helpful people. Very happy and plan to stay for a long time. Thanks!

Cons

Time Tracking App / where employees can login using an app from this platform. We currently use TimeStation

Chayala
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Best software to run payroll on your own

Reviewed on 28/1/2021

I love the customer service they onpay offers.

Pros

Payroll is usually a very complicated thing to take care of on your own. Since I’ve started using onpay, I can be on top of my own payroll with ease and simplicity. Onpay is always there to help me if I ever need.

Cons

None as of now. I’m really happy with the functions and the esthetic the system.

alicia
  • Industry: Machinery

Worth it!!!

Reviewed on 4/2/2020

Overall experience with OnPay has been wonderful. We have been with OnPay for about one year now. The ease of knowing that the deductions, withdrawals, taxes etc does not have to be done by myself, is fabulous! Customer service is on point! OnPays chat team replies in seconds. Very informative. They lead you to the right directions. Being a small business, The price is very reasonable for All they have to offer. I’ll be keeping them for a long time. And I highly recommend OnPay.

Pros

Very easy to put hours in and submit payroll. Love that the taxes are withdrawn and done for you. Love customer service.

Cons

The only thing I think was a bit of getting used to were trying to navigate to find the right tax papers etc. But with help you do get used to it. Also, there was a problem with payroll being processed twice within two minutes from each other. There should have been a pop up stating you already processed a payroll. Do you want this one also ?