Paychex Flex

3.9/5

1083 Software options

Aline L.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

One-stop shop, but not very customizable

Reviewed on 3/10/2019

Pros

It is very convenient to have access to the phone application, so you can access information and even run payroll from anytime / anywhere.
The add-on Stratustime allows you to track the non-exempt employees' hours and feeds directly into the payroll system.

Cons

Entering one-off payroll data such as expense reimbursement or a medical insurance payback has to be done at the individual level through individual checks.
it is difficult to customize access such as giving access to managers to accrue CTO days only, or giving them access to some HR info (number of vacation days, salary) without giving them access to all of it.
Also, the marketing is a little aggressive, the company offers so many other side services (writing your employee handbook, offering 401k, etc) that they call you too often with too many proposals, often different people for the same products.

Sean M.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Paychex Review

Reviewed on 27/4/2021

It has been a great experience as we were able to streamline many processes as a result of implementing the software.

Pros

It has given us more power to perform our necessary payroll functions which are a core foundation of our business. The self access portal allows me to manage and track my 401K. We do business in different state markets with different state statute regulations. Paychex has shown flexibility to be able to adapt to our needs.

Cons

The implementation stage took longer than we had hoped for. In the beginning the partnerships was getting quite expensive. We were able to work with Paychex to reach terms that best suited our business model.

Elizabeth D.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Sold on features that never worked correctly

Reviewed on 12/11/2021

Previously, our payroll was completed in house. We were sold on Paychex being a one-stop shop that would save us time and have everything flow seamlessly in one system. Unfortunately, that never happened. We had issues with the payroll implementation that were never actually resolved. We switched to Paychex for employee insurance, and spent over six months trying to correct the errors.

Pros

I enjoyed the ease of using the software and report options.

Cons

Our biggest issue with the software was based on the needs of our company. As a non-profit we have multiple funding streams in which employees may work. After communicating with the payroll implementation team, we set up the system as advised. Several months after we went live, the inaccurate setup caused errors in our general ledger reports, and I personally had to key journal entries of over 1,000 lines bi-weekly just to get the information accurately recorded in our general ledger software. This added one to two days of work onto my already hectic schedule. When we asked to change the setup, we were told that it would take too much time and wouldn't be possible, even though we were paying thousands of dollars a month for this service.

ADP Workforce Now and Proliant

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We were sold on a seamless system that never did work accurately.
Candace E.

Paychex Flex the next best electronic payroll system!

Reviewed on 9/4/2018

The benefits of using Paychex Flex software is that the product is available online to users. Other benefits include being able to select a specific payment plan or subscription suitable for the company to aid the human resources aspects of payroll. Additional benefits include accessing a dashboard with all employee information to be edited or submitted at once. More benefits of utilizing Paychex Flex include developing quick reports such as payroll statistics. Paychex Flex is a good tool to administer payroll for your company.

Pros

Paychex Flex is an online software that human resources personnel can utilize for payroll. Paychex Flex has various subscriptions that company's can select depending on the types of features. Paychex Flex offers an employee dashboard that requires an username, password, and pin number. Paychex Flex allows users to disburse amounts of funds to contractors, employees, vendors, and sponsors. Paychex Flex offers tools, tutorials, and customer support related to the online library and overall application.

Cons

Paychex Flex requires a new verification code upon logging into the dashboard. Users listed in the Paychex Flex may not be deleted depending on administrative rights to complete such an action. Paychex Flex may provide usernames and passwords to administrators and not employees, thus employees may not be able to update time card electronically. Paychex Flex allows time card adjustments to be made by the administrator. Paychex Flex allows payroll adjustments to be made by the administrator.

Peter G.
  • Industry: Fishery

A great asset to have when running and business.

Reviewed on 10/3/2019

Pros

The software itself allows me to eliminate the need for a time clock for my employees. They are able to have the app installed on their company issued smartphones and log in with their fingerprint access on the phone (which the app supports) and can clock into work in no time. They also have the availability to request time off, check vacation, sick and personal balances, view pay stubs and a ton of other features geared toward self help for the employee. This software saves me money so that I do not have to pay someone to sit and calculate all of the different times and payroll sheets. I would be lost without Paychex Flex.

Cons

The app can be a little slow at times. They also schedule down time on the overnight hours until 530am when most of our work does begin before that. It is a simple fix as I can enter staffs time manually when needed. You also need to trust your employees to punch in and out when they actually show up to a job site and not while driving home.

Matthew H.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Excellent company top to bottom

Reviewed on 7/6/2017

Pros

Paychex has been top-notch for over five years, when I switched to them from another payroll company. I operate a small seasonal business with about 10 employees, and from the beginning I have received all the support that I need for my payroll and tax responsibilities, and at a more reasonable rate than I was paying before. I deal with one single payroll specialist every week (unless she is on vacation or something), which I love, and if she is unavailable the fill-in specialists have been able to take care of my payroll, which is not quite standard, without any issues. The website took a little getting used to initially, but I download my reports from there every week, quarter, and year, and everything is easy to find and use. I couldn't recommend Paychex more highly, at least for any business such as mine.

Cons

If anything, I feel that it would be good to consider a website review and edit - I do not have anything specific to offer in terms of what to change, but it did seem a little confusing the first few times using it. I don't have any issues now, but admittedly I only log on to do the same thing (download the report) each week, quarter, and year.

Anthony A.
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great Software

Reviewed on 15/6/2021

overall you get more for your buck with Paychex than other software's like ADP or UltiPro (UKG)

Pros

You get one dedicated representative for all your payroll issues. Also, processing payroll is easier.

Cons

The standard reporting function does not allow you run custom reports. You need to pay for custom reports.

I have worked with Paychex for HR and Payroll purposes.

Reviewed on 5/6/2018

We were able to reduce storage of paper statements that were never picked up. We were able to increase employee morale by giving our employees the ability to see their own data and make time off requests on their own.

Pros

The user friendly approach within the Employee Online Access. We had employees that were afraid to go paperless with pay statements but with a little training everyone began utilizing the system. I liked the time and attendance module which allowed employees to see their own timesheets and administratiors to make corrections/update their staff timesheets and approve prior to payroll processing.

Cons

I disliked the fact that the payroll module didn't link directly with time and attendance, we had thought that what was done in time and attendance regarding time off balances would automatically feed to payroll and reflect on our employees pay statements. But we found out that we had to do adjustments in both windows to ensure it matched.

Savanah M.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 3/6/2021

Very good, much better than what we used to use which was ADP

Pros

It's very easy to use and find what you need. I love that I can toggle and clock in easily. I also love that everything is in one place. I like the extra security as well.

Cons

I don't like that the clock in and out moves so quickly. It can blank out and I'll need to refresh.

Renae R.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Good Website

Reviewed on 20/10/2017

Pros

I do like how the website is laid out and how easy it is to run reports, set up new employees, and enter in payroll. In general the reps are helpful and you dont always have to talk to just your assigned rep to get answers.

Cons

When there is a tax problem, the only person you can talk to is your rep, who general doesn't know anything about taxes and can only pass the question onto the tax department. Once you ask the question, it can a few weeks before you even hear back from someone about the status of your questions. It gets put into a queue and you are not told if or when it will get answered. This is very frustrating when it comes to time sensitive tax issues.

Brad C.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

This software implified my life

Reviewed on 16/9/2020

I recently upgraded to Paychex Flex from what I believe is called their "time and labor online" product. The most frustrating issue was the Paychex employees and implementation team used the same terminology for different products. (Implantation is complete, but still tweaking some options.)

This time, attendance and payroll system will ultimately automate at least three manual processes:. PTO tracking for physicians, entering holiday hours for each employee and tracking points for our attendance policy (very time consuming). It's a very good solution for my clinic!

Pros

Transferring time and attendance to the payroll module is significantly easier compared to their other platforms. I review employees' timecards 1 - 3 times a week and find them very easy to read (again comparatively).

Cons

There is not a way to track and pay independent contractors on the exact version I use. Less obvious but frustrating is the required date format. For example, many sites I use can be 7/3/20. This site requires 07/03/2020. (A pet peeves of mine.)

Joshua L.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

New to the software. It works, but not always intuitively

Reviewed on 1/12/2020

I have only been using the software for a few weeks. So far, I have not wasted too much time figuring out what it does and doesn't do, however, when I need to do something specific, I have always been able to eventually navigate to the required functions

Pros

I am new to the software, but I like that it seems to have a lot of functionality that previous systems I have used do not. I can change my withholdings, view relative info about direct reports, track time spent on different projects etc.

Cons

The software is harder to navigate than my old software. This may be just a case of needing to get used to it, but it has taken me time to get used to where to log my hours, how to approve mine and other peoples time and so on. That being said, it does what it does well.

Michelle D.
  • Industry: Accounting

Paychex Flex - Not So Flexible

Reviewed on 1/12/2020

I find Paychex Flex to be cumbersome compared to other payroll providers but it is a vast improvement over running payroll in-house. For a company making the transition to outsource payroll, it is probably a good option. For an accountant user with access to many programs, it is not the best choice.

Pros

I have used several different payroll systems for my clients and recently began working with a client who was already using Paychex Flex. While it had some benefits, I did not find it to be as robust as many other providers. The benefits are not unique as many providers offer info for the employees all in one place and online access to pay stubs. They do the payroll filings and remittances which is helpful.

Cons

The customer support is lacking both for employee users and admins as they are slow to reply. The reports are difficult to master as they are not as intuitive as those with other payroll providers. When the company is doing upgrades, the system will not save the data you input but they do not let you know that beforehand. You have to find out after you have input the info and it will not save. The time keeping function is klunky and does not allow you to approve "all" time reports at once.

James D.

Better than the competition, and it's secure

Reviewed on 14/1/2019

This system was preferred before switching to ADP, however their cost at the time resulted in us switching to ADP

Pros

I like the fact they require two factor authentication. Their customer service used to be good and is still decent compared to ADP. Their system can be fully customized for reports and coding purposes. Their reporting is much better than ADP

Cons

Their support has gone down hill in the last year in addition to their pricing is about 20% higher than ADP on most items. Lacks an employee portal standard on all plans

Miranda F.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Paychex Flex

Reviewed on 11/9/2020

I am excited to dive more into the software. Paychex Flex can do so many different things. I look forward to a very long and lasting relationship with them.

Pros

We are a month into the implementation process with Paychex and just processed our very first payroll. So far the experience with Paychex and their implementation team has been outstanding. The paychex flex website is very easy to navigate. Each user can customize his/her own dashboard for the items they use on a regular basis. The Paychex Flex APP is also awesome. You can access from anywhere if you need to view or update any information. VERY VERY PLEASE CUSTOMER SO FAR.

Cons

Nothing.

Rebekah S.
  • Industry: Events Services

Great payroll software but the cost adds up

Reviewed on 30/6/2020

We never had an issue with Paychex. They are the best payroll company to work with. you are even assigned a personal rep. Whenever you need something I could call them and they would give me what I need ot would walk me through the program to do it myself.

Pros

Paychex Flex made it really easy to report payroll and generate reports. The whole process from inputting a new employees, calculating payroll totals and processing was made simple. The user interface is really easy to use and neat. There really isn't an easier way to process payroll

Cons

The only thing that eventually made us step away from Paychex after 4 years was the cost. Its more expensive than if your bank were to do it. They also charge for quarterly reports and annual reports. It just seemed to us that the fees kept going up and up.

Heather S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

User Friendliness

Reviewed on 17/11/2019

The ability to clock in and out on our POS system and have all that information in a labor report immediately availiable for PayChex was a time saver. I did save money over all having them handle all payroll and hand delivery of checks every Friday.

Pros

The ability to see pay stubs amd employees information. Also the company information was availiable as well as a live chat option to ask questions to a company rep immediately. Changing tax information was instant instead of waiting for the boss to fix it.

Cons

The log in process is long and tedious. In 2017 some of the information required was only known to the boss or owner. Employees were frustrated and some court ordered deductions were shown but not labled as Child Support or tax lien.

Lisa V.

PaychexFlex Makes Payroll simple.

Reviewed on 22/10/2021

PaychexFlex files our payroll taxes always on time and always correctly. They have relieved me of that pressure. They do the onboarding of new employees including sending the info to state agencies. Their system allows me to go in and adjust pay rates and employee info.

Pros

I like that I can adjust the payroll entry page to only have what is necessary to us on it. That can be adjusted with every payroll if needed. The Help files are thorough and it is easy to learn. They compute the taxes from each payroll and allow us an extra day before we have to transfer the money.

Cons

There are a few glitches in the system. Nothing that has to do with the actual payroll system. When setting up your company on their system they cannot remove the original names from the delivery page.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

A Growing Platform for a Growing Company

Reviewed on 7/12/2018

As a small business, they were a great start for our general needs. Once we passed a threshold of what we were looking for, they worked with us to transition to a more robust platform.

Pros

Paychex Flex had great customer service, helping us with all of our questions as we continued to grow.

Cons

We found we were outgrowing the platform, Paychex Flex had limitations on how it could automate our reports and provide us the details we really needed.

Best System and Support Team

Reviewed on 17/8/2020

Flex is the best bang for your buck in our opinion.

Pros

Paychex Flex offers a variety of functions and features that are ideal to our company. The on boarding was easy thanks to their great support team.

Cons

I have no complaints. The system is easy to use for our admins as well as employees. The customer service is great and available 24/7

Matt J.

Payroll Software

Reviewed on 10/4/2018

Pros

Pyachex software has been very helpful in managing our hourly employees time clocks and payroll. It allows us to ensure that we have everyone clocking in on-time and we are withholding the proper amount from each paycheck.

Cons

The sales representative for our software is not very easily accessible and it takes a little bit of time to get in touch with them.

We use paychex and so far it seems good

Reviewed on 3/10/2018

Pros

I like that I can see all my paperwork and info for multiple jobs with one login. I have 2 jobs so I can see both paystubs/w-2s/etc all in one place which I like. Plus, my 401k information and my FSA is all done through paychex flex so its nice to have it in one place.

Cons

I feel like the interface is a little hard to maneuver. I know we have a lot of capabilities but I have no idea how to use them. Getting to my 401k and trying to change/analyze it is a little hard and I am a pretty tech savy person.

Christina C.
  • Industry: Sports

Not for those who aren’t tech savvy

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

Once we got the hang of it (thanks to the awesome customer service) it saved us a ton of time on payroll

Pros

The amount of options it gives you for everything having to do with payroll and HR. It’s super customizable to fit your needs.

Cons

It was a bit complicated to learn how to use for multiple companies. Also the website could be a little glitchy/laggy at times.

John M.
  • Used for 2+ years

Great for payroll, lacking on retirement benefits

Reviewed on 18/3/2021

Overall Paychex Flex is a great tool. Its strengths are really good but its weaknesses are quite cumbersome. These things can be fixed over time.

Pros

What I like most about Paychex Flex is the payroll management and tracking segment of the website. The new updates provide a fresh clean look and everything is extremely easy to find. Great interface.

Cons

My only complaint with Paychex Flex is that the retirement component is still transitioning over from Classic and it is taking a long time. Also, the fact that Paychex does not integrate with 3rd party aggregators such as Quicken is terrible. I have to manually enter my 401k transactions and it is a painful process. Please repair your relationship with Quicken for direct downloads.

Mark P.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Great Software

Reviewed on 8/9/2020

I would recommend this to anybody in the business world.

Pros

We use this at my work on a daily basis for the guys who have to clock in and out.
I can also view all my paychecks for the past 2 years.

Cons

I wish there was a link to my medical benefits through this site.
Other than that it is very solid for work.