Paychex Flex Reviews

3.9/5

Victoria
Victoria
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great payroll and hr employer/employee program

Reviewed on 24/3/2023

Overall I've had no problems with paycheckflex really other than the direct deposit not transferring over from my job profiles but other than that it's been a really awesome experience it's been easy to use friendly and just great it's very useful and I do appreciate the software and I continue to use it to this day

Pros

On some pros are that it's easy to use the interface is set up really user friendly it's sectioned off and your different jobs you know your pay your schedule your onboarding your your stuff you need to complete for HR or assignments places to message people ask questions you can view when your check gets deposited or written how many hours you worked all sorts of things like that and your vacation time and it's just it's really easy and it makes my job easier and it makes knowing what I'm doing for other people who are using it easy and I get paid on time if not early actually for me not everybody does though and it's all right there like I can print off my w-2s I can print off my tax paperwork message my employers or employees and manage my benefits and everything it's a really great system.

Cons

Honestly the only thing I don't like is if you have multiple employers on there and you put in your direct deposit information for one it does not automatically carry over to another job if you have multiple jobs at the same time so there for a minute I was getting a hard check because I thought that that information that I just entered for a previous in my other employer that I'm still working would go through to my next account but it does not you have to manually re-enter that

Lillian
Lillian

It is very easy to use and has great support

Reviewed on 18/4/2023

Since then, many businesses have approached me about switching, but I still haven't found a good enough reason to abandon Paychex Flex. It's simple to use, produces excellent results, and supports my needs promptly. The direct deposit and web portal make payroll simple. It's easy to learn and adapt to the system. Timely reports can be simply integrated with other bookkeeping software.

Pros

In 2017, at the advice of our Accountant, we began using Paychex Flex. I was hesitant because I was the one who always handled payroll through our company's accounting program. But Paychex Flex is so straightforward that I can't imagine ever switching from it to some other payroll system.

Cons

The ability to write notes on an employee's paystub; for instance, a place to mention what the bonus is for when it is given; this would be helpful.

Amber
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great Platform

Reviewed on 2/1/2024

Pros

It is very easy to navigate and find answers.

Cons

Sometimes the pop ups prevent you form moving forward on a task.

Aline
  • Industry: Medical Devices

One-stop shop, but not very customizable

Reviewed on 3/10/2019

Pros

It is very convenient to have access to the phone application, so you can access information and even run payroll from anytime / anywhere.
The add-on Stratustime allows you to track the non-exempt employees' hours and feeds directly into the payroll system.

Cons

Entering one-off payroll data such as expense reimbursement or a medical insurance payback has to be done at the individual level through individual checks.
it is difficult to customize access such as giving access to managers to accrue CTO days only, or giving them access to some HR info (number of vacation days, salary) without giving them access to all of it.
Also, the marketing is a little aggressive, the company offers so many other side services (writing your employee handbook, offering 401k, etc) that they call you too often with too many proposals, often different people for the same products.

Fred
  • Industry: Research

Vendor Review

Reviewed on 13/12/2023

Pros

Customer Service - Friendlly and always on time, flexible 401K program

Cons

Can't think of any problems we have had in years of use

• Industry: Medical Practice

Physician

Reviewed on 18/12/2023

Horrific, the took payroll from another company out of my account.

Horrific, the took payroll from another company out of my account.

Pros

Nothing, terrible product. I was originally promised coasts would remain the same my entire life with Paychex. [sensitive content hidden] LIED!

Cons

Staff and support. Salesperson lied! [sensitive content hidden] Stated my monthly costs would “never change”

Jennifer
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Paychex makes payroll easier!

Reviewed on 8/12/2023

Paychex has been wonderful! I have used other third party payroll companies in the past and have had terrible experiences. My account manager is great at his job!

Pros

My payroll account manager is great! He's always available and helpful when I need help.

Cons

There's really nothing that I don't dislike about Paychex.

Deluxe Payroll and HR

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

I was having issues with my account manager. There were a few mistakes made on our direct payroll. Paychex was also a better price.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

My accountant recommended Paychex and the price was good.
Gloria

Paychex Flex

Reviewed on 3/11/2023

Overall it has been a good experience. I don't have any major complaints.

Overall it has been a good experience. I don't have any major complaints.

Pros

Ease of use for our workers out in the field when they want to request PTO.

Cons

We don't use a lot of the features so I'll have to wait to see

Terrie
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great company!

Reviewed on 13/12/2023

We have always had very friendly and knowledgeable client service representatives. I appreciate them handling all of the details, so I can focus on my daily tasks. Paychex Flex has simplified my desk!

Pros

We have been with Paychex for over 10 years. We started in 2012. They have been a great company to work with, easy to deal with any questions, stress free at year end!

Cons

I was hesitant of the charges, but the service is totally worth what we pay. We have had multiple offers to change companies over the years, but I am not willing to lose what we can count on to try something new, even though they promise they will have the same service. I have had excellent service every year.....why would I want to change?

Amy
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Poor IT and Customer service

Reviewed on 8/12/2023

It used to be good until Hurrican Ian in 2022. Now I'm a disaster and they can't seem to fix it.

Pros

The sales rep that signed me up is phenominal. [sensitive content hidden].

Cons

Customer service and IT errors. I have requested to solve my problems for a year without much result.

Cody
  • Industry: Entertainment

Streamlined and Simplified Payroll Processing and Ancillary HR Services

Reviewed on 5/5/2022

Thus far, the experience has been positive and meets all needs of the company. Tax compliance, W-2s, time keeping, and benefits admin all went smoothly through a full annual cycle. The customer service response times are within a reasonable range, and the mobile app surprisingly is very useful due to the simplicity of the overall platform. Employees can also self-serve make a certain number of changes to things like addresses or banking info without the need for an HR team member to service such requests.

Pros

The ease of onboarding and implementation (compared to ADP, for example), as well as the streamlined processes that allow for staff who may not be payroll professionals to accurately run payroll & benefits to a high degree of efficiency.

Cons

The functionality for contractors isn't as great as some other providers I've used in the past (PayReel, for instance). Additionally, the level of sophistication for tax issue or researching problems from state notices, etc. isn't the best I've seen though it is certainly adequate.

ADP Workforce Now and PayrollPanda

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Cheaper and more streamlined solution for a smaller company that may not require dedicated payroll teams and a very high level of white-glove service.

Dayforce HCM

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Presented the clearest and best use case for a small to mid-size company which a mix of hourly and salaried staff. Also not having a dedicated payroll expert on the team necessitated a platform that is easy to use and does not have a steep learning curve (ADP, for instance).
Sara
Sara
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Paychex Flex is a simple and straightforward system

Reviewed on 13/3/2023

Paychex Flex's interface has always been straightforward to use; the admin dashboard is full of useful information and it's impossible to miss any updates or notifications. Our less technically-inclined staff members have no trouble navigating the user dashboard.

Pros

I manage the company's administrative tasks, including Payroll, Onboarding, and HRS. There is no way to overstate the amount of time it has saved me. About 5 minutes are all I need to do payroll, and that's only when there's a new employee.

Cons

The ability to look at Payroll records dating back more than two years. There are numerous Payroll Representatives. Inconveniently, I have to deal with a separate point person for each functionality.

Katrina
Katrina

Paychex Flex is great for completing payroll

Reviewed on 15/9/2023

I appreciate being able to check on the 401(k) and have the money go straight into employee accounts, saving time and effort. Since insurance coverage is now related directly to who has enrolled in which plans, processing payroll has become much more efficient.

Pros

From either the employer's or employee's perspective, the website couldn't be simpler to use. Filters and stored views make it easy to customize your payroll experience based on your current needs.

Cons

Over the years, I've seen a few different specialists. Obviously, not everyone has the same potential. When my allocated person hasn't been able to help me, I've found that the online chat staff is quite responsive and helpful.

Nadezhda

Great Experience with Paychex Flex!

Reviewed on 9/3/2023

Overall, I had a great experience with Paychex Flex. It was easy to set up and use, and customer service was always available to help with any questions I had.

Pros

Paychex Flex makes it easy to manage payroll, taxes, and other administrative tasks. The user interface is intuitive and the customer service is excellent.

Cons

Paychex Flex can be expensive compared to other payroll software.

Yashovardhan
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Paychex Flex: The Most Flexible Payroll Solution around

Reviewed on 11/12/2022

I enjoy using Paychex Flex because it is simple to use and provides me with all the information I need to know about my payroll and employees. I can easily access my payroll information and run reports. The customer service is also excellent and they are always available to help me with any questions I have.

Pros

The most impactful features in Paychex Flex are the ability to manage all employee information in one place, the comprehensive suite of payroll and HR tools, and the ease of use. Paychex Flex is very easy to use, and integration with existing business processes is seamless.

Cons

The least favourable aspect of Paychex Flex would have to be its payroll processing. Reports have surfaced of payroll being processed very slowly, and in some cases, not processed at all. This can obviously create a lot of problems for businesses that need their employees to be paid on time.

Gusto and Paylocity

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex was chosen over Gusto and Paylocity because it offered the best combination of features and price. Paychex Flex is a comprehensive HR and payroll solution that is affordable and easy to use. It offers robust features such as time and attendance tracking, benefits administration, and online payroll.
Ashton

I have never been happy with Paychex.

Reviewed on 10/2/2023

They never fully finished helping us get our platform set up. There is suppose to be a general ledger integration that is suppose to give us a report that breaks down our payroll items so we can enter the details into the books. No one has ever helped us set up our platform so this works. The report is always blank. I spent over a year trying to get people to help set this up so it would work and every customer service person would just pass the buck or tell me they would get back to me but never did. Then with the time clock feature it would be great if they would stop trying to change and update it. I spend more time fixing employees time punches because Paychex is down. Furthermore, the new timeclock platform that Paychex is trying to launch seems scares me because they seem to be missing a lot of key features that were on the old one. Finally, I don't know what their employees do all day. I swear our service reps are out of the office more than they are ever in the office.

Pros

The software looks like it should work well and that is has a lot of features that would be helpful. I do like how they take care of a lot of the tax related things so that I don't have to create and file all the different employment tax documents.

Cons

Timeclock system is often down.Poor customer service.No follow through to make sure everything was finalized on initial setup.They always try to sell me new products when the ones I have don't work.Talked to a Paychex Technical support employee who admitted that the back end was not that great.

Joyce

The Biggest Rip Off in the HR Industry

Reviewed on 2/4/2020

Working with PayChex was absolutely the worst experience we have ever had with a vendor. They are great when trying to sign you up but once you do they are impossible to get any assistance. Even cancelling them was difficult because the Off-Boarding team was supposed to call me to help the process of migrating our payroll back and all the necessary steps. 3 Weeks after cancelling no one called and they had the audacity to not only try and bill us but add charges because they tried to pull from our bank for payroll and we cut them off. They have lots of fees that I don't understand how they can justify. Taxes were calculated differently 3 pay checks in a row, getting someone to return email was impossible and when you call you basically get a rep who happens to be the one to get your call, not your supposed HR Generalist, which was absolutely useless. I never criticize publicly about an organization but this one was so very unprofessional and even made worse by the outrageous fees they charge. I would think twice!

Pros

- Paid on time
- Payroll documents easy to download
- Have minimum 100 letters and I don't have anything really good to say, which is a first because I believe in positive reviews and have never posted a negative one.

Cons

- Tax documents not where their website tells you they are and when you call for help they direct you to the place where the documents are supposed to be but not?
C
- HR Generalist does not return calls or emails in a timely manner if at all.
- Absorbent fees to use their platform (3 x payment of $1000) and another $500 per payroll period for 3 employees. This high price is supposed to be for dedicated HR Generalist, which is a joke.
- Very attentive when pitching to you and then the disappear and its a huge organization that has zero communication between each other and departments.

Meg
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Not fun or easy to use but it was an affordable option for the PEO

Reviewed on 24/8/2023

The only thing I liked about the Paychex Flex PEO experience was our lovely dedicated HR specialist. We had the same person every time and she was extremely helpful, always there when we needed her.

Pros

The PEO tier of service was affordable . The dedicated HR service provided with the PEO was nice as you had the same person working with you every time.

Cons

Extremely difficult to set up - scheduling features, time tracking features, GL mapping - it was a nightmare. When in need of assistance, customer service would pass you around from department to department, it was like nobody wanted to take accountability.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

We needed to get on a PEO for payroll.

Gusto

It was affordable.
Martin

Comprehensive HR Solution with Some Room for Improvement

Reviewed on 9/5/2023

While there is room for improvement, Paychex Flex has been a valuable asset in managing my company's HR needs. The comprehensive features and modular design have saved me significant time and effort, allowing me to focus on growing my business. I look forward to future enhancements to the platform.

Pros

As a business owner, I appreciate how Paychex Flex simplifies HR management. The platform's all-in-one approach makes it easy to oversee payroll, recruitment, and employee information. The mobile app is particularly useful, enabling me to handle essential tasks even when I'm away from the office.

Cons

Despite its shortcomings, I believe Paychex Flex is a valuable tool for managing HR tasks. The modular design and comprehensive feature set have saved me a lot of time and effort. However, I do hope they will continue to refine the user experience and address the occasional technical issues.

Jessica
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

User Friendly

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

I love that Paychex Flex is very user friendly.

I love that Paychex Flex is very user friendly.

Pros

I use Paychex Flex to clock in and out daily, check my time card, request time off and for retreiving an W2. I love that this portal is very user friendly. Nothing is hidden. You can easily find what you are looking for using the tabs on the side. You can also customize your home screen to display what you are needed. As soon as I login in I'm able to clock in and out, view how many hours of PTO I have as well as paystubs.

Cons

I would improve being able to have more widgets in the home screen so you are able to see your time card and attendance right on your home screen. It would be easier to track.

Paychex has some unfortunate downsides

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

Typical clock in/out and benefit tracking.

Typical clock in/out and benefit tracking.

Pros

Very easy to view clocked in users, people on break, etc. As a manager it is easy to view and approve hours. It allows for a convienant way for staff to access paystubs and documentation.

Cons

Employees often have trouble with the site when punching in/out - the easiest to access option are buttons that move, and as a result it is easy to click the wrong button! Way more time clock corrections that we used to get. It is very difficult for staff to tell how much vacation time they have remiaining, they constantly have to ask for confirmation - very frustrating. It isn't always easy to tell that as a manager either, so we have had issues where people took more time than allocated. THE most frustrating aspect of it is when someone misses a punch - sometimes adding a missed punch is just a matter of clicking a box and filling in the correct time, other times switching a type of punch - like from start break to start meal is ridiculous and you can end up with a big mess. Have never seen a program that is so irritating to handle corrections like that. As a manager I hate working with this program.

Devon

PayChex Flex is not that flexible.

Reviewed on 28/5/2020

Intuit should concede with their payroll platform and buy paychex, and paychex should enhance their integration and modernize the platform to something more agile like quickbooks. Employees should be able to onboard easier just as if they were buying something on Amazon. All of the 3rd party vendors that seem to be value added services are just more portals and passwords needing to be centralized.

Pros

When it works and the overloaded staff can actually assist you, it is an absolutely awesome service. I have used PayChex since about 2015. Back in the day my first representative was the absolute most amazing advisor and gave me confidence when speaking with her because I could tell she knew her job. Over time as we added more states and switched companies, our SUI numbers became switched, bank accounts and invoicing was not aligned.

Cons

Besides the reports that you are inundated with, the platform feels like it can actually perform, but truthfully it is pitiful java platform. The two factor auth is great but gets on my nerves and the fact that you cannot integrate with other identity providers or into your actual backoffice systems is a shame.

Amy
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Paychex Flex is a robust payroll solution that can accommodate almost any payroll need.

Reviewed on 26/7/2018

Pros

Together with the company's team of payroll specialists, Paychex Flex is an effective payroll solution for small and large companies alike. As administrator for a small company, I appreciate having permissions to manage my company's staff in the tool while allowing the payroll specialist from Paychex to key in the biweekly payroll data. This delegation of duties gives me control over the the job functions that are most important to me.

The General Ledger integration with QuickBooks Online is configurable and works well once set up to meet your business needs. The 3rd party integrator's staff is professional and diaplays an expert knowledge of both Paychex Flex and Quickbooks.

What I like most about Paychex Flex is that our tax returns and payments at the Federal level and for most states are done for us automatically.

Cons

The browser interface is unattractive and not always self explanatory. The client id, which is needed on all email correspondence with your payroll specialist and is displayed on the banner at the top of the screen, cannot be copied and pasted into emails.

The filter feature on the Person screen doesn't work consistently, and I frequently have to reapply the same filter so that only active staff appear.

Online help for the software can be misleading or inaccurate. After following instructions for 1) giving access to staff and 2) adding a new state for withholdings, without success, I learned from my payroll specialist that I didn't have the ability to perform either task through the software.

Shenandoah
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting
  • Used for 2+ years

Out dated and impersonal

Reviewed on 6/7/2018

Pros

This product works fine for day-to-day activities but has failed to meet some basic requirements when anything out of the ordinary is required.

Cons

Customer service through Paychex has been very challenging for our business, which ultimately led us towards switching payroll service providers. Countless errors were made when switching contractors to employees, when terminating employees, and Paychex failed on many occasions to provide financial information and tax documents to various states we were reporting in. They were also unhelpful in providing documentation to various states and city governments while our company was dealing with past-due notices that Paychex should have been responsible for. Our account manager changed hands a number of times with no notice, often no notification, and without a clear line of communication. Overall, their lines of communication seem outdated for companies operating online and whatever 'personal touches' they may have been known for have been lost to the wayside of a digital communication age where information has the capability to be freely transmitted from one employee to another. I found myself frequently re-sending the same required documentation to multiple parties and asking the same questions time and time again which were either ignored or partially answered. Overall an incredibly disappointing experience for the years we were with them.

Tony
Tony
  • Industry: Entertainment

Top-Notch Service

Reviewed on 31/7/2022

Pros

I like the ability to log in and do what I need to do when it pertains to employee payroll activities. I also love the features that are offered to the employees by allowing them to check and edit information when they need to.

Cons

It is a little pricey compared to some. I don't have many negative comments about the service, but it can be difficult to reach customer service after hours.