1,032 reviews

1,032 reviews
Fernando V.

Not for construction payroll

Reviewed on 9/3/2021

Good people but the tool is one vertical silo after another, we had multiple 3 way calls to coordinate our onboarding and there were many issues that I had to "hunt" for help.

Pros

The tax compliance is great. In a state where there are local taxes and in the ever-changing world of taxes, Paychex does a great job.

Cons

We are not able to generate our certified payroll reports because no one in Paychex knew how to set it up.

David O.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

It Does the Job but at a Costly Rate

Reviewed on 13/1/2021

I would not recommend Paychex as there must be better alternatives on the market. Their customer service is not great whether you are dealing with sales or a support department.

Pros

Paychex Flex is successful at providing a relatively smooth HR portal which includes time and attendance, payroll, retirement services (401K) and more general HR features.

Cons

The issue with Paychex is less about the product and more about their company. Paychex's convoluted billing is difficult for customers to understand and pricing can change quickly and erratically.

Kanwal R.

Great product

Reviewed on 7/5/2020

Customer service is the only downside. Otherwise, we are happy with the system itself.

Pros

We used to rely on our accountant in the past. This is a great way to have access to anything at anytime. Another perk is that the employees are able to review their tax documents remotely as well.

Cons

This is not really related to the software itself, but the customer service continues to be an ongoing problem. God forbid if you receive a notice from EDD or IRS, you'll be chasing behind people to follow up. I wish whatever forms are submitted, we can have access to them from a particular page along with the outcomes.

Peter S.

Paychex has FINALLY gotten it right

Reviewed on 7/11/2017

Payroll reports for my clients are at my fingertips!

Pros

Paychex FLEX is easy to navigate, fast at loading reports and pages, and gives you access to what you need. As an accountant it is vital for me to be able to have access to the reports and items I need to get accounting and taxes done without having to jump through hoops to get that information. Many payroll firms make this task frustrating and time consuming. With Paychex FLEX I have one log in for all of my clients and can easily navigate to the company and reports that I need every month or at year-end within a few minutes (including the login process).

Cons

One thing I don't like is that the default view for reports is set to the last 90 days. Many times, especially dealing with tax forms, I need reports that were created more than 90 days ago. Also, since the newest reports go to the top of the list you already have the most recent reports at the top. Why not default to the past year and then just let me filter down to a smaller group of reports if that's what I want?

Other than that small gripe, they have done a lot to improve their FLEX format. When it was first released everyone hated it but it has finally been improved to the point that it is extremely usable. The problem is that it seems like every time they get things just right they move to a new platform and "upgrade" their systems. I understand that this might be a necessary evil but it sure does cause a lot of growing pains for the end-user.

Amy S.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Paychex Flex is a robust payroll solution that can accommodate almost any payroll need.

Reviewed on 26/7/2018

Pros

Together with the company's team of payroll specialists, Paychex Flex is an effective payroll solution for small and large companies alike. As administrator for a small company, I appreciate having permissions to manage my company's staff in the tool while allowing the payroll specialist from Paychex to key in the biweekly payroll data. This delegation of duties gives me control over the the job functions that are most important to me.

The General Ledger integration with QuickBooks Online is configurable and works well once set up to meet your business needs. The 3rd party integrator's staff is professional and diaplays an expert knowledge of both Paychex Flex and Quickbooks.

What I like most about Paychex Flex is that our tax returns and payments at the Federal level and for most states are done for us automatically.

Cons

The browser interface is unattractive and not always self explanatory. The client id, which is needed on all email correspondence with your payroll specialist and is displayed on the banner at the top of the screen, cannot be copied and pasted into emails.

The filter feature on the Person screen doesn't work consistently, and I frequently have to reapply the same filter so that only active staff appear.

Online help for the software can be misleading or inaccurate. After following instructions for 1) giving access to staff and 2) adding a new state for withholdings, without success, I learned from my payroll specialist that I didn't have the ability to perform either task through the software.

Debbie H.
  • Industry: Information Services

Love the Ease if Online Benefit Administration

Reviewed on 29/6/2018

Survey software is not something that I usually recommend.

Pros

The best thing about this software is that I can do everything I need to do on my computer or mobile phone at any time of the day or night. The application is very easy to access and I administer payroll, 401k, health, dental and vision benefits, FSA and employee additions/changes over the application. Almost every service I utilize through Paychex is on this application. Invaluable! If I'm out of town I can still submit payroll! WOW! What a game changer Paychex Flex has been! The old way of doing business is out the window with Paychex Flex replacing it in a very positive way!

Cons

There is a couple of items that I would like to see enhanced. In people, I would like the ability to always pull up my preferred view of employees without having to click on the apply button. My preferred view is saved but will not display until I click on apply. Second, on the people drop down menu from the upper right corner, I would like the ability to select that view as well. When that drop down is selected I get all the employees that have ever been entered into the Paychex database - terminated and active. I want to be able to display just the active employees in that drop down. These are just enhancement requests that in no way affect the valuable pros of the application. The items in the cons are just "nice to haves".

Brandi G.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Easy to Use

Reviewed on 12/9/2019

This was definitely a transition for staff but well worth it. All of the information available is awesome and it is very easy to use. Highly recommended.

Pros

This software is great. It is easy to clock in and out as well as find all of your necessary information including W-2 and salary information. Requesting vacation time as well and checking sick and vacation balances is all there at a click of a button. You can set up your area so even if staff if clocking in or out on their mobile phone, you know they were still actually at work.

Cons

We had some issues in the beginning with staff not being able to clock in and out but once you get all of the kinks worked out its great.

• Industry: Oil & Energy

Makes Employee's Lives Way Easier

Reviewed on 21/1/2019

Easy to keep track of employees, vacation and benefits - all in one hub for employee information!

Pros

I can easily clock in and out of my Paychex account on any device - super convenient when on the road or working remote. I can also find my W2, tax and benefit information in one place which makes my life easier around tax refund season. I can easily punch in vacation time and forward it to my HR person.

Cons

Sometimes it doesn't register the clock in on the first try but selecting it twice will allow me to. The interface allows you to Break In and Clock out even if you never Clocked in which is odd, but HR can easily fix any mistakes.

Gerson S.

An easy to use employee hub

Reviewed on 18/5/2020

As a user, the experience overall has been positive and being able to track all financials, and hours of work in one location without it lagging or being a pain to navigate is a big plus. While small hiccups here and there, it’s been a lot more good than bad.

Pros

Compared to other software I have used previously, it’s nice having a central location in which one can access important documents in terms of paychecks, direct deposits, and work time. Other important documents such as one's W-2s and retirement are also found here and aren't complicated to find, with using Paychex one of the biggest benefits is their user interface being pretty clean and does not provide a fluff and show's what one wants, a big plus for a worker.

Cons

There's not a lot of negatives I can say in terms of Paychex, as I have dealt mostly on one of the spectrum as an employee and not an administrator but I would say maybe they could eventually improve the ability to find the actual Paychex Flex website, maybe a direct link when searching it in Google and make it more clear on their regular website where to go to find Flex.

Diana H.
  • Industry: Online Media
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great Customer Service!

Reviewed on 5/9/2019

Overall Paychex has provided us with a great payroll solution. They have a really strong customer service team. I think it would be great if they could add interactive help for FAQs that wouldn't require calling or chatting them. Otherwise I had a really top notch experience with the product.

Pros

We used this at my previous company and it turned out to be a great solution for us since we had offices in different states. It helps us keep track of payroll laws in different states and remain compliant. I also felt that their customer service team was always really responsive and easy to deal with. As a user, it's really convenient for me to be able to access and print my pay statements from anywhere.

Cons

Our company had some issues when we were first implementing the software but now everything runs perfectly. The UI is a bit outdated.

Craig B.
  • Industry: Automotive

Paychex Flex // Manage Your Workforce

Reviewed on 17/9/2018

Paychex Flex allows our company to finalize payroll easily for our weekly checks. Employees are able to view their paystubs the day before the check hits. Discrepancies are easily solved.

Pros

Ease of use: Manager login allows user to view and edit timecards of employees. Correct errors made by employees and finalize timecards for payroll. Layout of website is very user friendly and easy to find what is needed.

Cons

The scroll of "Clock In" through "Clock Out" should not have moving icons, as it causes some employees to click the incorrect punch.

Dawn C.

pricing should be better

Reviewed on 9/5/2017

Help save me money on my payroll fees, which is getting a bit much for only 3 employees soon to be only 2. I think I could get others to use Paychex but they freak out when I tell them how much is the payroll fee is.

Pros

Paychex has been great. It was a hard start, just because New Mexico is weird but Paychex and the state finally got it all worked out. All papers are always filled out perfect that our sent to government. Everyone is so nice

Cons

Pricing on payroll keeps going up and up every year. I tried getting my employees monthly to save money but they said they would quit. :( There should be a better invoice charge for less than 5 employees cuz in 2 weeks I will only have 2 employees and will be paying the same for invoice charge. And one other big thing is that for the last 5 payrolls I HAVE TO CALL IN. This is getting frustrating cuz all the specialist says is that is his too busy and paychex is short handed to call ALL clients. REALLY?? I pay and have to remember to call my 3 lonely number in. Because of these 2 major things, I am starting to consider calling ADP to see how much their fees are. I am a small women disabled business. So I need what any money I can. I really love Paychex it is just these 2 major things that might make me switch companies.

Julie H.
  • Industry: Wholesale

The Worst Payroll Company Out There!

Reviewed on 30/8/2019

I have been running payroll and in HR for over 17 years so have used many payroll services and Paychex is the absolute WORST - can't wait to switch. Overpriced and you have to do everything yourself including coding their system. Nothing works right once you do (no notifications, biometric time clocks don't record punches, CA payroll laws like 7th day OT never coded) it's truly a complete joke of a company. "Account Manager" does not actually do anything but tell you to call the 877 customer service number and they are beyond ignorant and unhelpful.

Cons

Customer service - The worst
Assigned Account Manager - Does nothing but tell you to call Cust Service (see above)
Helpfulness - None
Expensive - YES
Knowledgeable - None
Compliant - Nope, set up CA payroll laws all wrong
Ease of system use - terrible, you need to coded everything yourself
Over selling - the best (how about fix your basic customer service and functionality before you continually try and up sell)

Avienne W.

Pleased with this all-in-one HRIS system

Reviewed on 20/3/2018

We were with Paychex, left for what sounded like a more promising system (terrible move), and came right back to Paychex! They are continually improving the product features and functions and we have been very pleased with the services!

Pros

Paychex has become a great all-in-one solution for our HR and Payroll needs. Onboarding, Payroll, Benefits, Human Resources... the system has greatly helped us streamline our processes! Dedicated account representatives that are very prompt/responsive.

Cons

Sometimes tricky to use the system when a Paychex rep is also in the account, or if system updates occur during business hours.
Custom reports can be a little complicated.

Ronda C.
  • Industry: Market Research

Lot's of options, but. . .

Reviewed on 19/9/2018

As an administrator I have struggled with fully understanding some of the functionality. Again, Paychex staff does not want to help you navigate or understand.
As an employee, I think it's great!

Pros

Almost everything can be completed by the user online or in the app, which employees like.

Cons

Paychex wants you to use the online platform only and does not want to have a person help you navigate the website. they want you to follow the video learning.

Sherryn W.
  • Industry: Machinery

switched from ADP and never looked back!Cust.Service reps are the best!

Reviewed on 15/5/2018

payroll do quickly and easily and with confidence, Knowing if you have any kind of question, all you do is call your rep and its fixed :)

Pros

From day one , its been pretty easy to use and if I have any kind of question, I just simply call or customer service rep/or team member and they will walk me thru anything I am doing to ensure I am doing correctly

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about it, like I said earlier switched from ADP because their customer service was the worst, you would never speak to the same person twice ever! With paychex we have a dedicated team to us, 9 times out of 10 I speak to the same rep every time. It makes the ease of doing something as important as payroll with more confidence because the repore you have with customer service

Kumiko B.

Their system is user friendly

Reviewed on 9/11/2017

Pros

It's very easy to use and not complicated like another system. They also have a lot of useful features and custom reporting that I use a lot.

Cons

They kept changing customer service representative. I've has some good ones but some are not trained. Also, when they are out, they leave me hanging. No back up and I have to call general 1800 customer service.

Rachel W.

User friendly with great reporting

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

Simple and detailed reports, easy payroll submission, paperless payroll.

Pros

Extremely easy to use. Offers a variety of reports. Our company was able to go paperless with Paychex by allowing our employees to view their paystubs and tax forms on the phone app. If you call the customer service main line, you can usually get through to someone quickly. If your Account Rep is not available, you can get general assistance from another Customer Service Rep.

Cons

I can't think of anything I would change about the software itself, but we are not happy with our assigned Account Rep with Paychex. There have been multiple errors to that could have been avoided if she had more attention to detail.

Ashley C.

I use PayChex Flex to check my pay stubs and W-2 information.

Reviewed on 16/1/2018

The major benefit I get is keeping track of my money and knowing how much time off I have left. It's so easy to just look it up really quickly whenever I need it.

Pros

I really like that it keeps track of my pay stubs and most importantly, my time off. Because of the way time off is allocated at my company, sometimes I forget what I have available. And if I'm at home trying to plan a vacation, I can't always wait until I get to work to check with the Controller. Being able to log into PayChex makes it easy to check this information.

I also know that in cases where proof of employment needs to shown, I can easily just pull up the information on my phone or computer.

Nicole M.

Paychex review

Reviewed on 10/8/2018

Pros

EASY EASY EASY! you get your client id, sign in with username and password and simply clock in, clock out, lunch, or break! Also very user friendly with submitting time off request.

Cons

I have no complaints of this product as of yet and I have been using it for 5 years! I hope to not find one either!

Jennifer P.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

PAYCHEX REVIEW

Reviewed on 29/5/2018

Pros

EASY TO USE, EASY TO NAVIGATE, GIVES YOU ALL THE INFORMATION THAT YOU NEED FOR YOUR TAXES, PERSONAL INFORMATION AND PAY AND BACNK INFO.

Cons

IT FREEZES FROM TIME TO TIME, IT IS OFTEN NOT RESPONSIVE AND SAYS IT CAN'T FIND THE PAGE, AND TAKES TO LONG TO CLOCK YOU IN AFTER YOU SUBMIT THE TIME.

Heidi C.
  • Industry: Design

STAY AWAY FROM PAYCHEX

Reviewed on 13/4/2021

Terrible- each Paychex employee has provided the bare minimum servies, has not been accurate in the information they provided regarding the services, and once their job is done in their eyes they dissappear. Only the HR Rep who wrote our handbook was straight forward and honest regarding the services to be provided or not. It has been a nightmare trying to terminate our relationship with Paychex. They could care less about us as clients until they realized we were terminating their services- now they just don't answer questions and won't follow through closing out our 401K program and returning our money to us.

Pros

NOTHING. We thought we were buying payroll services that would support this firm. From the marketting rep who outright lied about the review services to the 401K rep who lied the servies was" practically free" we feel we have been scammed or ignored for years

Cons

There is NO SUPPORT from this firm. They don't know who their clients are and they don't care. We terminated their services Jan 1, 2021 and they have dragged their feet in closing out their business with us, their automated termination program doesn't work, and they are still billing us for "administatin servies" on the 401K program which we are no longer contributing to- Paychex is making interest on our money and refusing to efficiently close out the program

Solid, never had any issues over 5 years and has updated product with regulations as they...

Reviewed on 14/6/2018

Regulatory reporting
Payroll, without hiccups or errors.
Great and knowledgable support team when you need them, and with payroll, things are urgent if you do, so they go out of their way to solve any problems.

Pros

Has all the functionality that you could need for payroll in the US. All states are covered, most regulatory reported is automated and customer support people always know what they're doing and willing to help out.

Cons

The new user interface was a little clunky/buggy at first but they seem to have ironed out the problems. Don't like that the customer support is only until 5pm Eastern time (2pm Pacific time). But given they're so knowledgable, I'll give them a pass.

Bodo S.
  • Industry: Automotive

User View on Paychex

Reviewed on 30/9/2019

We have been using Paychex for Payroll and Benefits with Paychex Flex as the user facing website. Generally it is easy-to-use and works.

Pros

Paychex provides a (generally) easy-to-use portal to access payroll and benefits information. The interface is clean and documents are easy to find.

Cons

Paychex went through a transition period from the old website (using flash) and some ends are still not tied up. A couple of sections are still hard to navigate and authentication between subsites is not smooth. Claims submission for reimbursements of FSA or HSA are not streamlined and the process often causes more work that it should.

I use Paychex daily. Great tool for tracking hours.

Reviewed on 24/7/2018

Pros

I like that I am able to see hours worked in different aspects, whether it is regular hours, holiday hours, medical appointment or vacation time.

Cons

I do not like that sometimes it tells me I am missing a clock out when I clearly have one in. Sometimes it just errors out.