Paychex Flex

N Armand François
  • Industry: Computer Networking

I'm very satisfied

Reviewed on 26/9/2022

Pros

Overall correct application and easy to use

Cons

Nothing special really. Good application, I recommend it

Paycom and BambooHR
Imam
  • Industry: Graphic Design

My experience with paychex flex

Reviewed on 31/12/2022

It's been a very good app so far, i love it.

Pros

A more concise app. You guys did a great job! Thanks for doing That, also looks very attractive.

Cons

Nothing actually, i'm pleases With the app.

Kelly

Payroll Software

Reviewed on 21/12/2022

We used it for about a year. I found that it is easier and cheaper to do my payroll myself. If you have a large team, it would be beneficial. I do recommend shopping around for other companies that provide the same service.

Pros

I liked how Paychex did direct deposits and handled taxes for my company. The customer support was nice as well.

Cons

It was a little hard to update employees' information. It was a process that took time because you had to delete the employee and then re-enter the employee in order to update.

Emily
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

PayChex Flex Helps With Employee Management

Reviewed on 16/1/2023

The flexibility that comes with being able to support our employees with real-time, comprehensive pay info is unmatched.

Pros

Our organization welcomes a number of seasonal international staff on J-1 visas. Paychex Flex makes it much easier to consolidate all of their pay-related information into one easy to access place.

Cons

There are few cons to using this software for us as an organization. Occasionally, the acquisition of social security numbers can take a while for those international staff, but Paychex Flex is always very patient with the timing.

Sarah
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

A must have for payroll and benefit management

Reviewed on 10/1/2023

I highly recommend this product for your organization.

Pros

This product is easy to navigate for both managers and employees. It helps track PTO in real time and helps manage days off.

Cons

I do not think there is one. I have enjoyed using this product for over 5 years. It has so many functions that is a must have.

Bernadette
  • Used for 2+ years

Lacking Proper Customer Service

Reviewed on 22/1/2020

Overall the system is good but their customer service needs to be more organized and at least be able to help you look into something when you need answers.

Pros

We like that employees can log in and update their personal account info. such as new address ect. we also like that they can download their tax forms and so on

Cons

Every time we've had questions it seems as though no one there has the answers we need. This can be very frustrating!

• Industry: Mental Health Care

Ehhh

Reviewed on 6/12/2022

Pros

Easy automation from home with app and online.

Cons

Price. Lack of features. Support always called me when I prefer emails.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

It was rated as the best for new small businesses.
Kayla
  • Industry: Sports

Easy and Efficient

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Overall I really enjoy the ease of the platform and since my only issues have been with customer service I would still recommend the platform

Pros

Paychex is probably one of the easiest payroll platforms I've ever used. As a Canadian company with US employees, paychex made it easy for us to pay them and ensure they were being taxed correctly by their state.

Cons

The customer service is not the greatest. I had made an inquiry about correcting an employees gross income when we first got started with Paychex and it took 6 months and multiple customer services agents to get this issue resolved.

Bryan
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Old style payroll processing

Reviewed on 5/1/2023

Pros

When the times that it was needed it was nice to have an account rep that could be contacted. The reports were fairly accurate.

Cons

It was very difficult to actually process payroll. We would have to call in our payroll hours for each employee over the phone with the account rep. That can be hard when they are not available or their schedule does not line up with yours. Also Paychex online system did not use one login. So if you had a login from the older system you had to have a separate log in for the flex system.

Angelina

Paying Employee’s

Reviewed on 25/11/2022

My experience has been professional, carrying outstanding

Pros

Makes paying employees easy with direct deposit on debit cards, bank accounts.

Cons

Text time can be very exhausting and software can s sometimes have issues with employees who are no longer around wrong information

Eric

Everything we need and more

Reviewed on 17/9/2019

Paychex Flex has cut the time we spend processing payroll requests in half, if not more. Giving employees the ability to make most changes on their own allows our Payroll Admin to focus on other parts of the business that require more attention.

Pros

I love that I can get new employees set up as users during their onboarding, then this becomes their one-stop-shop for all things payroll. They can access this site to get their pay stubs, make changes to their direct deposit, enroll/change health benefits, and even make adjustments to their 401k plans.

Cons

The only real con I have found with this system is that employees can not make changes to their mailing addresses themselves. They are still required to fill out a form for our Payroll Admin and he has to call Paychex to make the change. This seems like something simple that employees should be able to do themeselves.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex offered us everything we were looking for in one package at a very affordable price.
Emmanuel
  • Industry: Accounting

Good product overall

Reviewed on 5/11/2019

It's a good product for a small to medium size company. Again, my review is from a user standpoint, not an administrator. I really have no negative remarks for Paychex Flex.

Pros

Recording time is relatively easy.
W2s and paysubs are easily obtainable
Easy to navigate

Cons

From a user standpoint, nothing really.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

This was a decision made by upper management.

Megan
  • Industry: Printing

Good product, easy to use

Reviewed on 31/12/2021

Pros

We've used several different payroll processors and this was the easiest one when it came to entering our employees hour each week. I'm surprised how difficult and convulted other companies make it, but Paychecx stood out for the ease. And that matters when you have 20+ employees to enter each week. You want it to go quick, and Paychex did.

Cons

We weren't crazy about getting paper checks. We had been used to Next Day Air delivery from a past company and Paychex paper checks were a courier and came at inconsistent times. May not seem like a big deal, but employees want their checks early to deposit at lunch and if they arrive late employees get antsy. We had people tell us they would stop working until their check was in hand. Luckily it wasn't a huge issue, as most people chose direct deposit.

Griselda

Highs and Lows

Reviewed on 22/10/2021

I like having direct access to professionals in HR, payroll, training, etc.

Pros

No question, having access to a comprehensive database from a company that's been doing it for decades makes it possible for us to be in compliance with local, state, and federal laws - which is a huge relief.

Cons

The time and attendance portal is dated and has been 'glitchy'; just more complicated to use than the other options.

Erin
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Paychex Flex gives me peace of mind

Reviewed on 13/10/2017

Overall, I have been very pleased with Paychex as a company and their online platform, Paychex Flex.  I have the peace of mind that our payroll is in capable hands.

Pros

It is easy to use and it gives me a peace of mind that our company's payroll is in capable hands. Their customer service is great. Each customer has a dedicated payroll specialist, so every time I have a question I am talking to the same person. Our payroll specialist has always been very helpful any time I have had weird situations or questions.

Paychex withholds all the appropriate taxes for both the employee and employer and then files them when the appropriate government entities. Our business is located Ohio, which has a complex tax structure including both state and local taxes. Paychex has saved me so much time and stress.

Cons

I wish that Paychex Flex tracked pay increases. That is the only thing that I liked better about our previous payroll provider. Our previous payroll provider had a tab that showed an employee's salary history and the date of each raise. Paychex Flex does not have this, so I have to track it separately.

I wish they had a more intuitive reporting function. The standard payroll reports are laid out very well and are very easy to run, but if I need to run a report that it out of the ordinary, I usually end up calling my payroll specialist because I can't find the report. To be fair, the couple of times this has happened I have been looking for a report having to do with workers comp and since workers comp is run by a government entity in Ohio it has some added complexities.

Candace

Paychex Flex the next best electronic payroll system!

Reviewed on 9/4/2018

The benefits of using Paychex Flex software is that the product is available online to users. Other benefits include being able to select a specific payment plan or subscription suitable for the company to aid the human resources aspects of payroll. Additional benefits include accessing a dashboard with all employee information to be edited or submitted at once. More benefits of utilizing Paychex Flex include developing quick reports such as payroll statistics. Paychex Flex is a good tool to administer payroll for your company.

Pros

Paychex Flex is an online software that human resources personnel can utilize for payroll. Paychex Flex has various subscriptions that company's can select depending on the types of features. Paychex Flex offers an employee dashboard that requires an username, password, and pin number. Paychex Flex allows users to disburse amounts of funds to contractors, employees, vendors, and sponsors. Paychex Flex offers tools, tutorials, and customer support related to the online library and overall application.

Cons

Paychex Flex requires a new verification code upon logging into the dashboard. Users listed in the Paychex Flex may not be deleted depending on administrative rights to complete such an action. Paychex Flex may provide usernames and passwords to administrators and not employees, thus employees may not be able to update time card electronically. Paychex Flex allows time card adjustments to be made by the administrator. Paychex Flex allows payroll adjustments to be made by the administrator.

Joshua

BIG DECISION

Reviewed on 6/10/2020

Overall, the experience has been neutral. I do have a good payroll account manager. However, Paychex does promote these positions very rapidly. It seems like any time I am assigned a knowledgeable payroll account manager, they are promoted. This leads me to have concerns regarding the consistency of reliable customer support.

Pros

I like the general ease of use that this software offers. I have had favorable experiences with my current payroll account manager.

Cons

There are often times glitches that can cause issues with payroll deductions. It is crucial to double and triple check your PRINTED COPY prior to submitting each payroll.

Sarah
  • Industry: Information Services

A little Wonky to Navigate

Reviewed on 27/7/2019

Pros

It is convenient for small businesses and employees who work from home or don't have one check in location. It has some nice features for checking how many hours have been working if you are actually clocking in and out from the site itself. Once you actually figure things out and have your account set up, it's conveniently all right there in front of you to see what your sick time is, clock in/out, etc.
It keeps all your info from your previous jobs that have used the site PLUS holds your tax info conveniently for you, which is quite handy.

Cons

It's pretty difficult to navigate. A lot of the site doesn't really explain where to go or what to do so you kind of just have to poke around it until you figure things out. I guess it's kind of typical for sites like this. It's also kind of nightmare to get your log in info if you lose it, so just don't. You get locked out after 3 tries and then have to call the help desk and it turns into a pretty complicated ordeal. Conveniently though, the site log in remembers your info though. There is a LOT of maintenance, constantly and when you get messages in your inbox, they never seem to go away, but that's just nit-picky stuff that's not really important.

ANTHONY
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great Software

Reviewed on 15/6/2021

overall you get more for your buck with Paychex than other software's like ADP or UltiPro (UKG)

Pros

You get one dedicated representative for all your payroll issues. Also, processing payroll is easier.

Cons

The standard reporting function does not allow you run custom reports. You need to pay for custom reports.

Paula

Review of Paychex Flex

Reviewed on 27/6/2022

We enjoy using Paychex Flex. Though we feel it can be improved with more robust reporting features in the area of job costing, the time keeping system does work very well for our organization.

Pros

Our employees are able to clock in from their job sites, no matter where those job sites are, and all supervisors are able to review time cards easily. If there are any punch in or punch out issues, we are able to correct those from HQ in real time.

Cons

There are some days that the software glitches which is inconvenient, but our HR department is able to correct those issues as long as they are communicated. Also, we wish their reporting was a bit more robust. In order to get around that, we export the data needed and manually create reports each week.

Katherine
  • Industry: Restaurants

Paychex flex has worked well for group of restaurants

Reviewed on 4/8/2022

Paychex flex has helped to make our payroll process smoother & more complete overall.

Pros

We enjoy the ease of use in the app, for both administrators and staff.

Cons

Customer service is sometimes slow to address changes.

Eva
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

PREVIEW was a great payroll work horse. But beware, FLEX Payroll is no PREVIEW.

Reviewed on 19/10/2016

We've been on Paychex PREVIEW payroll software for 16 years. It was a solid no non-sense payroll processing work horse which came with everything you'd ever need to process payroll for 100+ employees in a very quick and efficient manner. PREVIEW software was extremely well designed and well thought out. The developers took the perspective of payroll processing users and provided all the navigation speed, functionalities and reports that we'd ever find useful or need to do our jobs quickly and efficiently. There were hardly any unnecessary clicks, keystrokes or scrolling to speak of. It exceeded my expectation all these years. Paychex's golden era and reputation as payroll processing leader was probably due to these sensible legacy products.

Like all good things which must come to an end, we were switched to FLEX Q2 of 2016 because PREVIEW was so old that Paychex decided to sun set it this year - which was totally understandable. But any reasonable PREVIEW clients would also expect and assume that whatever good features, good functionalities and useful reports that were available and had been working well in PREVIEW would be brought over and be available in the new payroll product as well. Not so.

Enters FLEX which Paychex touted as being technologically advanced, etc. It probably is. But as far as FLEX payroll processing features and functionalities are concerned, I am actually set back 16 years to a payroll processing product that seemed Beta, very slow, cumbersome, awkward - compared to PREVIEW. Paychex simply threw PREVIEW out the window and started fresh from scratch with FLEX. I spent my first several months on FLEX Payroll sending them suggestions to make FLEX "better". I don't know if anyone cared.

FLEX Payroll screen designs and navigation are very slow, very cumbersome, and very awkward. What I considered "speed features" in PREVIEW were non-existent in FLEX. Fields are spread out as far apart as they can find room to spread them out to (instead of keeping the screen layouts compact) seemingly so as to "maximize" unnecessary clicks, scrolls and keystrokes as much as possible. It's also more cumbersome and time consuming just to get information and reports from FLEX Payroll which could be run quickly and easily before in PREVIEW. I felt like I'm using payroll software designed by inexperienced college graduates who had never processed payroll before in their lives. They're out to get as much of my time make me do as much work as possible for the same amount of work that I have to do as before - to see where my breaking point is.

So overall, I'm not impressed. To me, if the basic payroll processing functionalities are less than before, FLEX Payroll will still be inadequate despite all other "great features and modules" they added to FLEX which I don't need.

Pros

Flex integration with Benefits Administration (Benetrac) module can make life a lot easier for some - but Beware - only if your group is 100+ enrolled. Our Paychex sales rep did make the claim that with Benetrac service, our medical insurance transactions "will all be automatic with carriers and we wouldn't have to do a thing" - which was totally not true. As it turned out, more carriers than not do not do EDI for groups (company) with < 100 enrolled. So the main FLEX selling point totally didn't even pan out for us. Please learn from our lesson. Do verify specifically that your medical and dental carriers will do EDI for your group before signing up for Benetrac.

Cons

Although FLEX does its job as payroll software, having been on a faster and more efficient product before, we know how much more time we are spending on this "more inefficient" product compared to before.

Oh and please save yourself the headaches and trouble by passing on other Paychex's services. We tried Paychex Health Insurance and ACA filing. They both failed miserably. Same story in both cases. Can't get hold of the account rep and customer service rep. No one would answer or return our calls. Last year's ACA were 60% wrong after I've redone and resubmitted data 3 different times after 3 different CSR told me 3 different things. They were just making it up as they went. Very frustrating.

• Industry: Textiles

Don't bite off more than you can chew

Reviewed on 7/1/2019

We transferred over from Preview to Flex in March and have had some sort of issue (always a new problem) with running payroll from glitches, to inaccuracies in accruals due to incomplete data transfers to random errors like pay rates suddenly not being mapped to the proper pay components. Overall Paychex has great features and I love that our employees are offered the option to view their stubs and w-2s online and request time off but, I feel like they need to train their employees more on their updates and work out the kinks before they release updates because it causes a lot of unexpected error on the user end which cause a delay and inconvenisnce on our end.

Pros

I like that their Flex software is "live" and you no longer need to transmit hours as a file.

Cons

New features are released with glitches, representatives are NEVER available, it takes a lot of follow-up to get assistance and they pass you from representative to representative like a "hot potato".

Renae
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Good Website

Reviewed on 20/10/2017

Pros

I do like how the website is laid out and how easy it is to run reports, set up new employees, and enter in payroll. In general the reps are helpful and you dont always have to talk to just your assigned rep to get answers.

Cons

When there is a tax problem, the only person you can talk to is your rep, who general doesn't know anything about taxes and can only pass the question onto the tax department. Once you ask the question, it can a few weeks before you even hear back from someone about the status of your questions. It gets put into a queue and you are not told if or when it will get answered. This is very frustrating when it comes to time sensitive tax issues.

• Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Extremely User Friendly

Reviewed on 2/10/2018

Pros

As both a Paychex user and admin, I love how easy it is to navigate, you feel that your information is secure and if you experience an issue there is very short wait when calling customer services (typically no wait at all). When you first log into paychex, there are multiple security levels that one has to pass depending on your preference. Also, once you are in there is a dashboard with shortcuts to all the most used features. Paychex is constantly improving their software which is exciting. Our company is really enjoying the new live reports that update on a daily basis calculating everything from turnover rate, average headcount, and hired & termed totals.

Cons

We really enjoy using this software, there is nothing we dislike at the moment.