Katana Manufacturing ERP

Manufacturing ERP that makes your business life easier.

4.6/5
4.3/5
4.6/5
4.8/5

Jeff
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Katana has made a huge improvement to our business process!

Reviewed on 16/12/2020

I was extremely happy to find this app after months of struggling to keep track (using a spreadsheet) of current quantity for

1.) In stock blank shirts (various colors and sizes)
2.) Ordered blanks (various colors, sizes, and suppliers)
3.) Sales of finish products (various styles, colors, sizes, and designs.)

Making a Purchase Order list took way to long to complete each day. With Katana, tracking what we have and what we needed got so much easier and I was able to focus on more important business decisions. Before Katana I was over and under ordering ingredients.

I would recommend this app to anyone who uses Shopify and wants to make managing inventory of raw materials, ingredients, and sales orders easier.

Pros

Improved our ability to track shared ingredients for the products we sell.
Easy to know what quantity of ingredients to buy and who to buy it from.
Connects to Shopify and updates automatically.
Amazing customer support.

Cons

It took some time to learn the software and create ingredients for each product - but is worth while.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you!

Klaus
  • Industry: Machinery

First Impression KATANA - perfect fit for smaller companies which do not need a complex...

Reviewed on 21/8/2020

For our requirements, set-up and company size the best we could find and test!
We will manage inventory/warehouse with 5000+ items, handle products with ingredients & operations, edit quotes, generate sales orders and mark received orders as shipped for automated invoice generation in Quickbooks. The cloud-based concept and the reduced complexity combined with an intuitivbe operatzion makes this SW easy to install and to work with if you have a team in different geographic locatioopns (as we have).
Set-up of KATANA is absolutely simple, mostl yself-explanatory and can be done by any "power-user" without need of (expensive) external ERP-consultants.

Pros

Handling of inventory, items, products, ingredients, sales orders - all this is handled in a very efficient, clear and easy to use way. Makes the difference compared to many alternative MRP-/ERP-systems.
Connector to QuickBooks with automatic trigger for invoices in QB once the products are marked as shipped in KATANA.
Connector to Shopify for on-line sale of spare parts.
100% helpful and open minded customer service - very helpful in helping to understand all features and finding the best workflow for specific situations.

Cons

There are some functions/features which need improvement, e.g. the customization of documents such as Quotations so every company can generate a set of individual template to serve different areas (machines, spare parts, service,..). 3-5 custom fields for Quotes/Sales Orders/Products would be helpful. Althoug KATANA is intended to be a MRP-system it would be helpful to integrate SERVICE-articles (not only MAKE or BUY articles). This would allow to add a possible service portion to a spare parts quote.
Dedicated Delivery Notes (with partial shipments) would be a great feature.

Dynamics 365 and Sage 100

Reasons for Choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

Due to a downsizing in manufacturing we decided to look for a faster, more flexible, less complicated MRP-system which is cloud-based and would have good and propven interfaces to a standard accounting SW and to an on-line shop (spare parts).

Dynamics 365 and Sage 100

Reasons for Switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

Simplicity with at the same time well covered basic features, ease of use, intuitive, cloud-based.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you! Glad you are getting value out of Katana.

Andre
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

There are many shortcomings with this software

Reviewed on 1/4/2022

Manufacturing process

Pros

Ease of use, easy to implement and overall ease of use

Cons

Shortcomings, bugs, and ever-changing pricing models

David

Just what I needed

Reviewed on 18/6/2020

Overall I have been very pleased. I know have a solid grasp of my inventory and am informed when I need to reorder materials. This has been a real game changer for my business and has allowed us to scale our manufacturing.

Pros

Katana integrates with my Shopify Site very easily and makes bundling products on my Shopify so much easier to track.

We also make candles and kits in house. Katana makes tracking inventory so much easier allowing me to know without guess or counting my materials how much of any particular object I can produce at any given time.

Cons

It would be nice if there were barcodes, but I hear feature is coming soon. It would also be nice if I sell out of an object that is apart of a bundle that it would then make the bundle unavailable on my shopify site. I believe this is also in the works.

MRPeasy

Reasons for Switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

The user interface was much more straight forward. It was robust and comprehensive without being overwhelming.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the review! Indeed, both mentioned features are on our roadmap.

Cecilia

Katana Make Production Visible

Reviewed on 15/5/2020

It has been a very positive experience, putting joy in my work.

Pros

I love this software because of the ease of use and the workflow methodology. The drill down ability for stock and manufactured items are great. We have managed to get a lot more information on staff productivity through exporting complete manufacture orders data and reporting. I also love it that support is real and that I now know some of the team personally. They answer queries fast and efficiently.

Cons

All the current issues I have are in development.
For example:
1. Adding landing costs to purchase order items
2. Multi Currency
3. Back Order information

Unleashed

Reasons for Switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

We were using Evolution at the time and were really struggling to get real-time data. We converted to XERO as an accounting package but needed stronger manufacturing software. A friend recommended Katana and after a demo at her office, and a online real-time demo with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] at Katana, I was sold. (It was impossible to get a demo that suited my schedule from the other app's we considered. That already made me very concern) We decided on Katana and am glad to see their dedication and growth as a company.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Scott
  • Industry: Furniture

Brilliant System

Reviewed on 16/12/2020

Frees up time. Accurate stock levels. Easily see where in the manufacturing process a job is

Pros

Brilliant. Katana has transformed how we managed stock and control manufacturing. The best part is it is simple without unwanted extras that take as much time to maintain as a manual system. Katana is efficient and fast. Integrates well with Xero and Shopify. Highly recommended.

Cons

AMobile App would be brilliant but not essential

MRPeasy

Reasons for Switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

Ease of use and simplicity. Nice screen layout.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the review and happy to be growing with you!

Atlas

Great Software for Custom Production

Reviewed on 22/3/2021

We switched to this app to help manage our custom product orders. It is really great at helping us track our costs and meet our delivery standards. It connects natively to Shopify which is a big bonus and helps us pull for our orders more efficiently. It also allows us to manage multiple stores/locations easily and effectively.

Pros

The support is always helpful - they've been quick to answer and they have always been able to answer our questions.

We've had this app for about 2 months now, and we are loving it. The adjustment was fairly simple and easy for staff, importing our data was easy and straight forward for setup.

Cons

Would be great if we could count inventory via barcode scanner instead of manually entering qty's and then importing.

Odoo and JobBOSS²

Reasons for Switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

We chose Katana because it connects natively to Shopify (no third party link/sync) and it best matched our current and future needs.
Quoc Viet
  • Industry: Automotive

The simplest mrp system.

Reviewed on 6/10/2021

We can easy to get COGS, quickly in make decision for make or buy.
Implement is simple and quickly .

Pros

Clear process: Order fulfillment, Purchasing, Manufacturing and Inventory Control.

Cons

Don't have kitting BOM (Combo product).
Format of Currency is bad, it's difficult to read.

ERPNext

Reasons for Choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

Easy, simple and focus on MRP.

Odoo

Reasons for Switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

Simple and Very focus, easy to connect with Shopify and Quickbook.
Clarke

Intuitive Software

Reviewed on 10/2/2022

Overall very positive experience so far. Software is intuitive and simple to look at which is good. Customer service is outstanding, had a session with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] which he suggested and he was very good - and has even followed up with us since.

Pros

The software is very intuitive, meaning everything is in a logical space. The flow between areas works well and we love the ability to be able to customise the quote templates now.

Cons

Haven't found anything as yet, had a few bugs but they mainly seem to be cache related.

Zach
  • Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Smooth Operator

Reviewed on 22/3/2021

It has been great, highly recommend for small to medium business. Very user friendly!

Pros

Katana has made our day to day business so much more fluid and stress free. It was easy to build out the product lines, upload product sku's and flip the switch on going live. Game changer!

Cons

On the production schedule front, hoping that the software will eventually lump all the tasks together, I have multiple consumers that order the same item, each order is its own line item instead of being lumped into a group, so our production team needs to scrub the tasks before production starts as to make sure they capture each item, as to not create redunancy in work.

Rowena
  • Industry: Furniture

Does everything it says it will

Reviewed on 11/9/2021

Like Xero, it's simple but powerful - what's not to like about that?! The support is friendly and helpful (despite only being available online) and the training videos are really well presented and easy to follow. A really good software implementation experience.

Pros

That may not sound very exciting, but in my experience, it's not always a given that getting the features to work is straightforward. But Katana really is both powerful and yet pretty straightforward, although just BECAUSE it has a lot of facility, I would recommend the investment of a little time in watching some of the training videos, which are excellent. Once I'd done that, it was full steam ahead and everything fell beautifully into place. The integration with Xero was completely straightforward and works like a charm. I know that as we go forward and get more and more information into the system it will provide even more, very valuable information for us.

Cons

I have only a couple of really minor niggles; I would prefer to be able to enter dates, rather than having to always pick them off a calendar (for someone who types fast, this slows me down). I'd also like it if when you are "making" a product, if all the components of that product's sub-assembly are available, the software would just go on down the line and automatically make right down to the lowest assembly level. But as I said, these are really minor and would not stop me from wholeheartedly recommending Katana.

Callee
  • Industry: Wholesale
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Great for small but growing handmade biz!

Reviewed on 26/5/2020

Pros

Just completed the free 14 day trial of Katana and have now begun a paid subscription. It took a few days and a bit of frustration to manually add all our products, ingredients, recipes, and current pending wholesale orders from outside of shopify, but having the shopify integration helped a lot. We use three different wholesale platforms (Faire, tundra & Abound), none of which offer automated third party integrations, so we knew we’d have to manually input orders and Katana serves that purpose as our centralized dashboard to see what needs to go out, when, from which platform, if we have it in stock, when we can make it, etc. In two weeks, we’ve already seen an increase in production efficiency and decrease in wholesale turnaround times now that EVERYTHING is being tracked in one place. Highly recommend Katana if you’re a maker, it’s never too early to implement automated systems in your biz!

Cons

Glitches with accurate purchase prices showing up in overall product list. Described it to customer service and they denied it being a problem. That’s the only problem I’ve encountered so far. Tbh on customer support quality.

Response from Katana MRP

Hi! Thank you for your feedback and we'll make sure to work out any glitches that have occurred along the way. Happy making!

Jason
  • Industry: Medical Devices

A lot of bang for the buck!

Reviewed on 16/3/2022

We were able to implement Katana as our central point for our entire software stack. Each piece of software gets its orders and data from Katana. Normally, I would be hesitant to put any of the software that small business sees on a daily basis into this important position. I had no issue putting Katana into this position.

Pros

This software has a fantastic feel to make working in it incredibly efficient. As a person that works with software/web design/development, I can appreciate the attention paid to this incredibly complex platform.

Cons

There isn't much we don't like. Most of the small things are already in the development cycle and they include small things like being able to customize Katana a bit more for our specific needs. Column order, custom fields, field mapping of API connections, etc.

Elias

Simple but Effective Inventory Management

Reviewed on 20/12/2020

We've saved countless manhours on tracking inventory. It also makes purchasing decisions a lot easier, with the ability to know at a glance how much of each product you need to buy.

Pros

PROS:

- really easy to use, great interface

- support is responsive, although we didn't have much need for support thanks to a very thorough and detailed knowledge base

- reasonably priced compared to other inventory management systems

- good integrations with Shopify, Quickbooks, etc

- it made inventory tracking a lot easier for us as a manufacturer. The manhours saved on doing Excel updates to inventory would definitely cost more if you run complex operations

Cons

CONS:

- Integration with Quickbooks is a little iffy if you don't login to Quickbooks beforehand

- It doesn't have a multicurrency feature for purchase orders (when you buy inventory in a currency different from your main currency)

- It's not easy to account for freight costs in the costs of buying raw materials

- You can't work in 2 browser tabs without paying for 2 users, this can be a little frustrating

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the valuable feedback! Some of your suggestions are already in our roadmap for 2021. Glad to see you are saving time and resources with Katana!

Kyle
  • Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Streamline Any Business With KATANA

Reviewed on 5/9/2019

The customer service is honestly the best customer service I have ever experienced. They are quick to respond, clear at explaining, very knowledgeable of the software, and great to work with. Rep even made me videos walking me through the parts of the process that were hanging me up.

Pros

The ability to streamline production, inventory and invoicing is a huge time saver and really helps with organization. I feel it is a great value for the money that you are spending and it

Cons

There is quite a bit of setup to get everything up and running and everything really functions together. This is not Katana's fault and they really have made it easy. Once everything (materials, products, production recipes) are set up, it runs like a charm.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Lucille
  • Industry: Cosmetics

A must for any manufacturing startup

Reviewed on 24/9/2019

Katana has been an absolute game changer for our cosmetics manufacturing business. Prior to this, we were using an inventory management system more suited to home crafters. It was woefully inadequate for our needs, but traditional MPR software was too complicated and expensive. Katana offers the perfect balance between powerful, seamless tracking and a user-friendly interface. It saves us hours of planning time each week and has greatly reduced errors. There's no way we'd be able to scale our quickly-growing business without this software.

Pros

Intuitive, user-friendly interface and powerful, seamless inventory tracking.

Cons

We don't like the per-user pricing model.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for showing the love!

Elton
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Katana has made my life easier

Reviewed on 16/12/2020

My inventory issues are now a thing of the past. Katana has made it so easy to now sync to Woocommerce, it is so easy to see exactly where my inventory issues are.

Pros

This product is so easy to us. Once it is set up, it tracks your inventory very well, and the integrations with Woocommerce and Xero are excellent add ons as well. I would recommend to anybody

Cons

The pricing is a bit on the expensive side. As it is invoiced in $US, I don't have a fixed price each month, as it is subject to currency fluctuations, because I do not live in the US.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for your review! Glad to see you have solved your inventory tracking issues with Katana. Excited for your growth!

justin
  • Industry: Automotive

Easy to use and helpful

Reviewed on 22/3/2021

Pros

It takes some time to set up and deploy, but once it's running, its super helpful! Its very easy to generate POs, update stock levels, and track sales and make orders. All the function without the bloated junk that expensive and advanced MRP systems have.

Cons

I wish there was a way to have a negative stock variant (a single product that represents a product subtraction rather than having to make a full copy of a product recipe minus that one single item).
I wish there was a way to group materials without having to create a separate product for them. Each product will generate a separate make order, but sometimes Its not actually something that can be made individually, it just represents all the parts that make up an assembly. There is currently no way to make a group of materials that does not become its own product that the system thinks needs to be made as its own inventory item.

Ryan
  • Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

Amazing Software!

Reviewed on 7/4/2021

Pros

I love how easy it is to keep track of our inventory, and easily order more materials. It is easy to navigate and very user-friendly. You can easily see how much material you have in stock, and Katana warns you when stock is running low. Never again will I run out of what I need! Customer service is very outstanding as well, I have asked them multiple questions and they always get back quickly with a well detailed response. Love it!

Cons

Honestly cannot think of any cons about this software, I have not had any problems out of it.

Zach
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Great Value for Small Manufacturing Businesses

Reviewed on 21/1/2020

The overall experience has been a positive one. It does well what is promised, and the support team is helpful while also listening to feedback for future improvements.

Pros

The price makes Katana most attractive. It is also intuitive to set up and use. Katana also provided helpful onboarding assistance.

Cons

The software is a bit limited with respect to features for or customization of PO's.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for reviewing Katana!

Valentina
  • Industry: Food Production

Katana

Reviewed on 21/1/2020

It's been really helpful to keep track of our production and inventory. Once was very useful to check out margins considering operation, but this info got confused at some point, so we are trying to resolve it so we can once again trust what appears on the software.

Pros

It's really easy to setup and use. It gives you just the right information about your products and the automatization of any changes you make in processes is very useful and convenient.

Cons

I've encounter a lot of bugs that are quickly fixed, but interfere with projects and daily work. The margins and costs info is a little untrustworthy and hard to read when looking for errors.
The software doesn't consider quantity of people actually making the production, only hours, so if we work with extra hands is really hard to setup time lines for our weekly throughout.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback! I can assure we are constantly working on having less errors on daily basis!

Ike
  • Industry: Wholesale

Katana is great for inventory and stock adjustments!

Reviewed on 20/12/2020

Overall the pros definitely out weigh the cons (at least for our business) so we're very pleased.

Pros

I really like that I'm able to save my product's SOPs and can easily find them when I need to make more! It is very handy to have that feature. I also enjoy that after I have made the product, I can add the inventory through a stock adjustment. It's a very simple process that is not convoluted. Big fan!

Cons

The only thing that I don't love is when I am doing a stock adjustment I have to do the math on each item to get it to the correct total. For example: If I start the week with 35 of a specific item and throughout the week, say, 17 get purchased, when I do inventory and account for that, I have to use the calculator to figure out 35 -17 = correct total. And I have to do that math for each individual item.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for your kind words!

Inês

Transformational for our business!!!

Reviewed on 28/3/2021

It has been transformational for our business and looking forward to keep growing powered by Katana!

Pros

Simple to use, comprehensive functionalities and above all highly flexible to fit our DTC and made to order workflow.

Cons

Inventory reporting can be improved with standard analytics

Shopventory

Reasons for Switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

Best value for money in the segment
Emil
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Unbelievable!

Reviewed on 15/11/2021

Not only does the App work perfectly, but the support is out of this world.

We have quite complex requirements for the size of our business due to having products that change every month. The team at Katana helped me to design the perfect solution and then found us a brilliant agency to implement it for a very reasonable price. All for no additional cost. Friendly, helpful and fast responses. Perfect 11/10 for customer service

I have used far more expensive MRP and ERP systems in the past, and I must say that Katana measures up very well. For the price and it's ability to integrate with everything we already use it is unbeatable.

If you are a manufacturing business and you use Xero, use Katana!

Set up
Customer service
Ability to integrate

Cons

No in house integrations option. Customer service was so good, I would have liked an integration option directly from Katana

Christin
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Keeps us on Track!

Reviewed on 6/1/2022

Pros

Katana keeps us organized both in inventory and in our manufacturing process.

Cons

Many new features seem to be only available in the highest level of the software, which is very expensive for a small business.