Alloy Navigator Reviews

4.5/5 (38 reviews)
Eric O.

Alloy does the job

Reviewed on 30/7/2018

The majority of our IT department lives inside Alloy. It is simple to use for the average technician and the user portal is good as well. The integration of software allocation and databases of all hardware on our network is a must.

Pros

- Alloy user portal and technician portals are easy to use
- Runs quickly and smoothly
- Easy to import users from AD
- Email integration for alerts on new tickets and updates on existing tickets
- Training that Alloy offers is well thought out and contains tons of information.

Cons

- Customer Support can take 1-3 days to get back to you
- The backend of Alloy is very confusing. Trying to change simple things can be extremely difficult since there is no search functionality and no documentation online.
- If you want custom features added it is going to cost a decent chunk of money.

Response from Alloy Software

Thanks for providing a review! We're happy you enjoy using our solution!

I apologize for the experience you had with Support. However, I'm positive it was an isolated situation. A review of your company's 138 tickets since 2015 shows an average response of 2hrs 19mins with average resolution under 24 hours. Given that I expect your next experience will be a positive one.

For online documentation, I would strongly advise the use of our Support Portal. Our product help and admin guides are all online along with our searchable Knowledge base.

The admin part of the product does have a learning curve, but you'll find the ratio of flexibility to ease of use to be unmatched. Other products provide a fraction of the power or they require programming knowledge to leverage the same results. Use the search workflow feature to find what you're looking for or press F1 anywhere for contextual online help.

Please reach out to us if you need anything and thank you for using our solution!

7.0/10

I love the product and it has helped us and our client streamline their support processes.

Reviewed on 20/6/2018

providing an efficient service desk

Pros

There are many features, and they are entirely customisable. The out of the box features and set up is very useable from day 1.
Support is great.

Cons

Programming is too simplistic and doesn't encourage code reuse - which leads to difficulty in long term maintenance.
The agreement with Alloy suits an end customer, it doesn't cater for the needs of true resellers and service providers.
Priced for larger organisation - difficult for small organisations to get started.

Response from Alloy Software

Thanks for the kind words! We truly appreciate your loyalty to Alloy's products!

We agree the functionality and price of our Enterprise edition is aligned with medium to large companies in mind. If you would like something more suitable for small to medium companies we'd suggest you take a look at our Express edition.

Regarding workflow, the system is designed specifically for the purposes of reusing every piece of a process you design. You can design one form that is used in multiple workflows, or you can create a function with simplistic or extremely complex operations any process can take advantage of. A good example is the ability to request manager approval. There's a built-in function, no different than any function you can create, you can add to any workflow. That's as reusable as you get.

I urge you to get in touch with us so we can show you. It will unlock some extremely powerful benefits for you and your customers.

Marshall M.

Great Support and Inventory Management Software

Reviewed on 29/11/2018

Alloy keeps our technology department on task, and gives our company's users an easy way to ask for help in solving their issues. The software is near limitless in what you can do with it thanks to the scripting and automation it provides. The automation also helps us manage our inventory, by keeping up with computers and hardware in stock, on loan, etc. We send emails to users to remind them to return hardware they've borrowed, and we've created a process that will create a ticket if our stock of hardware or computers starts getting low. Monthly tasks such as access reviews and computer updates are tracked using tickets that are automatically created. This software is highly customizable, provided you've got the knowledge and imagination to write the scripts and workflow.

Pros

Our favorite part about the Alloy software is the scripting and automation it provides. You can have it create tickets or work orders automatically when certain conditions are met, such as a ticket to order more computers when stock is running low.

Cons

The scripting is a bit hard to understand if you don't come from a SQL background. However, Alloy's support team is excellent and has been able to help with every issue we've given them.

Jeff W.

If keeping track of everything is what you want, this product is for you! And I mean everything!

Reviewed on 21/7/2018

Alloy keeps track of a ll of our inventory, software changes, support incidents, knowledge base, etc. The information in Alloy puts all the necessary information in one place to manage our IT environment easily and efficiently.

Pros

Alloy can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be based on how you set it up. The flexibility and depth are what I love most about it. You can really keep track of everything in your IT environment and you can customize it to fit your specific needs. Other products make you use their preconfigured categories and workflows, etc. While Alloy comes preconfigured with almost everything you need, you can add or remove just about anything you want and build your own workflows to automate the system.

Cons

I find that the more flexible a product is, the more cumbersome it can be. Since Alloy is extremely flexible, the set up can be a little complicated. However, they have a great support team to help you when you need it.

We use Navigator for help desk ticket and asset management and have found it quite useful.

Reviewed on 12/6/2018

Pros

From a help desk perspective, we appreciate being able to see trends in issues our users are experiencing as well as where the issues are coming from. It's quite easy to configure when linked to our AD and other global settings can be updated for multiple users en masse. I appreciate the flexibility in being able to create views of tickets that work for me, as do the other techs who respond to tickets.

Cons

Configuring reports and views is not the most user friendly but they've just released Navigator 8 which I believe makes this easier. No real complaints other than wish there were a Mac version as well.

Response from Alloy Software

Thank you for your kind words! Just a quick note, if you need to use Alloy Navigator on a Mac, I recommend using the Tech Web Portal. This gives you full access to everything you need on any platform whether it be Windows, Mac, Linux or otherwise. In regards to report development, drop our Technical Support team a note and they'll point you towards some great tutorials. As we use the standards - Microsoft Report Builder and Crystal Reports - there are lots of solid resources available on the net to choose from. Thanks again for the review and for being our customer!

Vitaliy E.

Has good potential

Reviewed on 1/2/2019

My overall experience is good. I went head on into a huge mess that was not very well maintained. When the inventory, locations, and customers are up to date, then its much easier to manage.

Pros

What I liked most about this software is how it can be integrated to sync with Active Directory which allows us to keep the inventory, locations, and customer tabs updated. The more automation, the better.

Cons

The gui is kind of outdated and could be simplified, but that's speaking from being on an older version of Alloy Navigator. There is not enough sync customization that can be manipulated or adjusted for AD sync.

Response from Alloy Software

Thanks for taking the time to review our product!

Absolutely get yourself on the latest version and take a look at the Technician Web Portal. It's really sleek and easy to use. If you use the Windows client, you'll love the Web Portal no doubt!

Regarding the Active Directory sync, please give our services team a call. I say that because the sync is super flexible, allows you to map any AD field anywhere you want, update records on conditions, import pictures, set managers for automatic permissions and approvals, and its paired with the workflow which is second to none. Maybe there's something you're missing we can help you with.

We'd love to help you get the most out of the product and if there is a limitation anywhere, we'll do our best to address it!

Thanks for being part of the Alloy Software family!

6.0/10
Mary A.

Reviewed on 30/4/2019

Alloy Navigator has eliminated about 4 different spreadsheets that I used to use to track information. I now do this from one console and have set up reporting to assist with the management and tracking of that information.

Pros

It was super easy to get started and setup generally functionality. I have been able to quit using spreadsheets to track information and was able to import most of my spreadsheets directly into Alloy. I now tracks my Contract renewals for both hardware and software. I am tracking my software licensing and allocations. The library is very useful for us to track equipment that we have checked out to our end users and/or contracted trainers. We also have a scheduled inventory that continues to update with our latest information for all computers in our domain.

Cons

The admin section is a little cumbersome to maneuver, but has a lot of options there.

Daniel Y.

Alloy Navigator Experience

Reviewed on 30/1/2019

Pros

What I like most about Alloy Navigator is the Library tree, we implemented this tool with our company laptops giving us the ability to track and list who we "loan" the laptop out to. We can also track when we push software updates on our machines. Knowledge base tree is another pro in my opinion, whenever im stuck with an issue I do a quick search in Knowledge base to see if any previous employees have come across the same problem before. This really helps me cut down on troubleshooting time and points me to the right direction on how to solve the problem.

Cons

So far my only Con I have with Allow Navigator is the ticketing system, I feel like users who have issues with something should have the ability to create a ticket from there end. We currently use a system where every call we get we have to input a ticket ourselves in full detail, its not horrible by any means but there is an inconvenient factor to it.

Response from Alloy Software

Thank you for your review!

Our Self-Service Portal allows users full control over entering tickets with whatever information you'd want them to!

You have complete control over their submission forms just as you do for the technician side, there's a Service Catalog, ability to check-out shared equipment, handle approvals and you can even make knowledge base articles public for the customers so instead of you finding the solution, your customers can do it themselves without having to submit a ticket!

Of course if you'd like, you can have end users submit tickets via our e-mail too! Just setup the Mail Connector and you're good to go!

Contact our services team if you have any questions!

Craig P.

A flexible product for any IT Department

Reviewed on 11/9/2018

Asset tracking, ticket management, knowledge base articles and full asset library reservation system.

Pros

The straight forward approach for an all encompassing program is why we chose this product 13 years ago. We can accomplish our daily ticketing system, maintain a company equipment reservation program and inventory all company assets in one out of the box program. On top of that, the support team is always available to help and always responds in a timely manner to any question or request.

Cons

The programming logic can be a bit confusing at times on the back end. There are lots of logic statements, actions, etc. that can be buried in a specific place that are not always easy to find.

Ron O.

Great product at a great price!

Reviewed on 19/2/2019

We were looking for a solution to enhance our change management system. Alloy had all the components we were looking for and very happy with the product. In addition, we will also be upgrading our Helpdesk system and Asset management system using Alloy.

Pros

Alloy Navigator is the complete solution to manage IT services and assist in providing controls for changes in the technology environment. It was easy to install and the self service portal was easy to navigate. The best part of it was cost. We looked at several other products ranging from cost to functionality to find Alloy provided more for less!

Cons

Admin settings can be confusing but is organized well enough to navigate.

Scott H.

We've used the network inventory and it works great and the support has been top notch.

Reviewed on 22/6/2018

We've used the network inventory to scan all PCs weekly and it lets me know if there are any changes going on with our hardware. We keep track of all of our maintenance history so we know the history of all of our hardware. We've done some software monitoring so we know what versions of software are being used.

Pros

I like the network inventory. It lets me know what is going on with our PC's and if anything is changing. I use ANX to input all of our service done on PCs so it's easy to find out the history of a PC

Cons

It takes a little time to get used to how to make modifications but the support has been great and will be looking into some training to be able to use more affectively.

Mike A.

My Honest Review of Alloy Navigator

Reviewed on 10/9/2018

Pros

The best thing about Alloy Navigator is the customization. If there is something you want this software to do, it can probably do it.

Cons

What I care for least about Alloy Navigator are the UI and UX. There are so many menus that are buried within multiple layers of menus.

Response from Alloy Software

Thanks so much for your review and for your company's loyalty of 14 years!

I highly recommend you give the Technician's Web Portal a look. It's interface is really slick and will absolutely feel new and streamlined over the Windows client.

If you have any questions about it, drop our services team a call!

Martin P.

Alloy is our "Main Brain"

Reviewed on 27/3/2019

We work with Alloy Navigator/Discovery since more than 12 years now.
No other product can compete with Alloy Navigator/Discovery.
I Feel really secure with Alloy ( not like similar free product.... if you know what i mean)
I make custom workflows, fields, views to fit the needs of F.Menard.
Oh, i forget... Paul and Christine are top notch :-)

Pros

-VERY VERY VERY powerfull
-EXTREMELY customizable
-Automated Inventory
Serisouly... you can do whats you want with this solution.

Cons

-Learning curve can be difficult for a novice
-no iOS apps

Jeff B.

Alloy Navigator 7 and Discovery 7 - Very useful software product

Reviewed on 11/9/2018

We are very satisfied with this product because it does everything we expect it to do when properly set up.

Pros

We use the Help Desk feature in Navigator and Machine Inventory in Discovery primarily. They allow us to efficiently handle user problems and requests of all kinds and keep track of company assets such as computers, servers and software installations.

Cons

The software is extremely powerful and flexible but because of this it is also very complicated to configure properly.

Joseph J.

Reviewed on 8/10/2018

Pros

The software is very easy to user and the staff is very helpful!

Cons

There needs to be more reporting tool and user control of reports.

Response from Alloy Software

Thank you so much for your review!

Drop us a line and let us know what you'd like to see in way of reporting tools.

Our reports are created with Microsoft Report Builder. Microsoft provides a free editor and its become quite popular so tutorials are easy to find. If you are familiar with Crystal Reports you can use that as well!

We'd love to hear about your specific needs so please don't hesitate to drop us a line!

Wayne D.

Alloy Navigator, a very useful program

Reviewed on 30/4/2019

I use Alloy Navigator every day to support the users in our company. It brings vital information about user's systems quickly to the screen, allowing an easy way to maintain inventory and connection information. Because it is an all-inclusive program for tracking hardware, software, work tickets, purchasing and user information, the setup is a bit complicated, but we couldn't maintain our IT department without it.

Pros

Brings useful information quickly to your screen

Cons

Setup is a bit complicated, but only because the software is so robust.

Rick H.

Reviewed on 30/4/2019

We switched from other application. This by far is the best option.

Pros

Runs quickly, has a lot of useful features.

Cons

Customer Service support, slow at getting responce

Response from Alloy Software

Thank you for your kind words, but I am sorry you had such a poor experience. We make it a point to take good care of our customers.

After review, I'm confused though. Your company's average response time is just over 2 hours which is well within our SLA, two of your coworkers rated our service 5 stars in their reviews and I see no requests in our system from you.

Regardless, I hope you don't hesitate to give our support team another chance. I am confident your experience was an exception.

Again, I'm sorry we didn't live up to your expectations.

Jay M.

Easy to use on-premise solution.

Reviewed on 24/1/2019

Alloy has created a one-stop shop for all of our key IT data.

Pros

Alloy allows us to pull multiple islands of information (support ticketing, asset management, loaner tracking, etc) under a single umbrella.

Cons

While Alloy can track a wide breadth of information, sometimes getting into the nuts and bolts of the data can be a bit cumbersome. Network inventory for SNMP devices and software tracking/allocation leave a bit to be desired.

Joanne S.

Great product, everything is linked for ease of access.

Reviewed on 19/6/2018

Easy access to know what inventory we have and where it is located. We can easily find out how old someone's computer is just by checking into Alloy Navigator.

Pros

I really like being able to click on a location and be able to drill down thru the user to the inventory item and PO.

Cons

It would be nice to have some mini webinars for training on each area that we could watch when we needed a little explanation of how to use a certain part of the program.

John H.

Used Alloy at both my previous and current job, great product.

Reviewed on 26/6/2018

Easy tracking of hardware and software licenses. Tracking of helpdesk issues has been easier that previous product.

Pros

The help desk and software licensing components really save a lot of time and are easy to use. I've been able to use the software licensing piece to fulfill a Microsoft audit with ease.

Cons

Migration from other software vendors is a little tricky, but that's more due to how the other vendors configure their databases.

Stephen M.

Since implementing 8 years ago, has been instrumental in our growth and support of our Clients

Reviewed on 6/6/2018

Customer support tracking, Purchasing, Client Portal

Pros

The ease of use, ability to customize the software to our needs and the fantastic support we receive
no matter what the request, could not run our Business without Alloy and the support we receive with the Product.

Cons

if there was to be a con only one to be would be the ability to send a PDF PO without needing to save 1st and attach for sending

Mike G.

Fully featured and still developing

Reviewed on 5/11/2018

Pros

The flexibility is endless, this product is capable of doing anything you design. It can output to batch files, automate tasks and digitise forms. The only limitation is your imagination. Treat this as a very advanced GUI for SQL

Cons

You do need to get a full understanding of the administration side if you wish to use this product to its full potential

Sean C.

A fantastic alternative to Autotask

Reviewed on 30/7/2018

Asset tracking and ticket metrics

Pros

Allows full IT management from asset inventory to helpdesk metrics. Allows full financial tracking, tickets, and asset discovery.

Cons

It can be cumbersome to learn in an SMB environment with small teams and no compartmentalization. If you have no teams at all, individuals can be overwhelmed as their are many features to this application.

Shawn J.

Alloy Navigator 8

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

I have used Alloy for nearly 15 years. It is one of my most valued solutions in my support organization.

Pros

The ability to get a good picture of the support organization

Cons

A better solution to Active Directory to automate company/locations. Possibly having a manual way to assign the parent company to the locations and have that flow to users would be great.

Dan D.

Great software

Reviewed on 3/8/2018

Pros

Great software for ticketing and inventory needs. Customer service is extremely helpful in customizing the solution to best fit your needs. Software does everything you need for helpdesk and servicedesk operations.

Cons

Can be a little slow on a WAN or remote connectivity, I recommend the web interface for those situations.