Adobe Captivate

Smart authoring tool with VR and 360° eLearning design

4.6 /5 (157 reviews) Write a Review!

Doug C.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Great software for making demo videos!

Reviewed on 9/3/2021

I was looking at other software and Adobe just checks all the boxes. Minor annoyances but a great piece of software and it just works.

Pros

I love how easy it is to capture video/audio for user demo videos. Videos are easy to export and upload to Youtube. It just works. I use Adobe Premiere Rush for the actual output videos. I haven't tried all the other features but I'm sure I'll get around to it.

Cons

Minor gripes. I wish I could save my settings so when I screw up my recording I can start over quickly. I'm always having to stop it and restart and select all the settings again.

Carl C.

Creating "how to videos" for enterprise learning

Reviewed on 14/6/2020

This is a very functional application for making videos. I prefer it versus tools like Camtasia when making instructional videos.

Pros

Easy to segment video into pieces. Imagine using Power Point slides but each slide contains video/sound. Much easier to manage than other tools that record straight through. You can record each segment, apply graphic elements as desired. It integrated easily with other Adobe audio products for enhanced audio editing. Captivate does include limited audio editing tools, just enough to be handy.

Cons

I found the application would crash every now and then. Nothing I could not work around, but strange to have to experience that in today's world.

Christy R.

Good for developing elearning

Reviewed on 15/1/2019

I'm happy with this software. It allows me to easily import PowerPoint slides, develop elearning courses from scratch, and record audio. I have continued to use it over competing applications because it's so easy to use.

Pros

Captivate is pretty easy to learn. I pretty much taught myself how to use it and don't have any big issues with it. I like that it publishes directly into Adobe Captivate Prime (our LMS). There are quite a few nice features that get added with each upgrade.

Cons

Sometimes the software crashes. I have to work with big files on my desktop rather than on my network drive. I had some files become corrupt from the application freezing. It would be nice if Adobe gave free upgrades rather than charging to upgrade every couple years. I would also like to have more pre-built templates for gaming. Most of the options available aren't ideal.

Dave S.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Create online training content that's great with Adobe Captivate

Reviewed on 7/10/2019

I used Adobe Captivate to create and product online training courses for our company's online university. The software was detailed with a number of features, but something I was able to teach myself...very helpful considering I did not have an IT or software writing background.

Pros

After a normal learning curve, it's relatively easy to use to create content. I used it to create online training courses for a learning management system, and it really made our otherwise serviceable (but not too exciting) PowerPoint slides truly come to life! The software is powerful with what seems to be unlimited options for creativity.

Cons

As with probably any software worth anything, there's a bit of a learning curve to learn some of the tips and tricks for effective use. Where to find the various features is not always super-intuitive, but it's something I was able to work through.

Ronaldo B.

Perceptions about Captivate

Reviewed on 18/7/2019

I use it to develop different materials for online and offline courses.

Pros

It has a variety of features very interesting for the area of courses and training, with the possibility of customization and programming.

Cons

It is very expensive in Brazil. The design power associated with Adobe products does not emerge with the product.

Courses Designing by Captivate

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

Pros

I used this software for creating courses online for my Organizations and I have found very useful specially in COVID19 Situation around the Globe however my most favorite feature of this software to choose the answer types by several options like multi choose, choose one etc

Cons

Its configurations related to issuing certificate is tricky which is not very user friendly and it needs to made simple and easy

Raphael M.
  • Industry: Wholesale

Great

Reviewed on 18/2/2020

Adobe Captivate
enabled me to create presentations of ideas for my company. with Captivate I can make that short video showing my summarized and direct projects.

Pros

is a software that is updated annually and has no error in the program, very easy to make presentation projects!

Cons

When multi-state videos are present on a slide, the most recent videos are not played in HTML5 output on devices. Only the first video is played.

• Industry: Information Services
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Cool features. Next level of interactions on 360° media.

Reviewed on 4/3/2019

With the Virtual capabilities, this tool is a game changer for elearning design, making learning fun and interactive.

Pros

The new and enhanced interactive features are done well in Adobe Captivate. Once the 360° images or videos are imported, it allows course creator to add pointers for information, quizzes, audio files or points to navigate through the course. The learning retention is very high when it is interactive and it also helps in demos, walkthroughs and enables action oriented engaged learning.

Cons

Cache can get a bit heavy when using Video resources. Ensure sufficient memory space.

• Industry: Environmental Services
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

A lot of features but not intuitive to use

Reviewed on 14/5/2019

Overall, the tool serves its purpose well. It allowed us to create beautiful training documents with quizzing.

Pros

The tool has a lot of great features for creating an interactive training document but I found it difficult to learn. I would like to see features become more intuitive.

Cons

Without taking lessons, I found the tool difficult to use.

• Used Other for Free Trial

New features and Device screen responsiveness customization is good.

Reviewed on 18/3/2019

Given the importance of mobile learning, designing for mobile learning is very important. Adobe Captivate has good capabilities in this space.

Pros

Responsive learning is very important. Authoring with auto responsive for multi device or multiscreen is an important feature, once published as a project, it can give a responsive learner experience. New features for VR is the future of learning.

Cons

More features for mobile, Defining the responsiveness on each device can be made a little easier.

Carolina Y.
  • Industry: Design

User of Adobe

Reviewed on 9/4/2019

Pros

Is really helpful for doing presentations. Is easy to manage.

Cons

Sometimes I get confused with the commands at the beginning, but once you know the program is really easy to use.

• Used Other for Free Trial

Import options are good in Captivate. Saves time.

Reviewed on 5/3/2019

Pros

The import options are quite impressive in Adobe Captivate. Especially with quizzes, questions, answers, marking, and logic, they can all be imported quickly using .csv files. It allows importing from other authoring tools as well. This saves a lot of time and effort.

Cons

User interface can be improved. For new users, navigating and understanding the options can be a bit challenging.

Ben K.
  • Industry: Machinery

Great resource!

Reviewed on 23/4/2019

Pros

There is so much too learn and they make it so accessible.

Cons

there is not anything I can think of to complain about.

Mary D.

Great product, learning curve to use

Reviewed on 8/4/2021

Very positive. Easy to use product after a small learning curve.

Pros

Great product! This product can really make learning engagning and fun. It can ensure learners read material with the ability to insert questions and click here icons. Prevents the "open, close, get credit" mentaility

Cons

Honestly the product is well designed. The only draw back is the learning curve getting started. I watched multiple you tube videos for assistance.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great recording software

Reviewed on 30/4/2019

Pros

It was intuitive software for making training videos and served our training purposes.

Cons

The learning curve was high, but once we understood the software we were able to edit videos without troubles.

Wade R.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Better options available

Reviewed on 27/9/2018

Pros

Captivate was easy to figure out on how to use given that I was a first time user.

Cons

It was really limited for what I needed. The cost was over our company budget. I think there are better alternatives.

Helen M.