Adobe Captivate Reviews

4.3/5

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Feature-Rich Design and Development

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

I've preferred Captivate to Storyline throughout my career. Most orgs seem to lean toward Storyline because the UI is so similar to working in PowerPoint. I definitely prefer the more robust feature set that gets quality, regular updates/enhancements that comes with Captivate.

Pros

The ongoing updates and upgrades continue to make this software easier to use for those new to it, and also expedites building many of the interactions. Really enjoy the Assets feature as well when looking to switch things up a little - really helps with inspiration and new ideas. The online community is also really great with supporting each other and lending new ideas. The different preview options that are built in are fantastic and load so much faster than Storyline.

Cons

There are still a lot of work-arounds needed for some interaction types to meet digital accessibility needs, but that's to be expected with almost any software. When capturing video, you cannot capture device audio.

Great tool for creating training slides

Reviewed on 9/6/2020

I thoroughly enjoy using Adobe Captivate. Some companies designate employees to solely focus on Captivate and it's uses within their workforce. I believe that is an appropriate action as there is so much that in can be used for and it's a worthwhile investment.

Pros

I loved how you can create panels and embed videos within those panels for training purposes. Captivate can be used in meetings as presentation slides as well even though other programs may be better for that purpose.

Cons

What I like least is kind of a strength of the software. It is so robust that training on how to use the software is necessary. You can jump right in without training but you can miss a lot of the perks that Captivate offers.

Carl

Creating "how to videos" for enterprise learning

Reviewed on 14/6/2020

This is a very functional application for making videos. I prefer it versus tools like Camtasia when making instructional videos.

Pros

Easy to segment video into pieces. Imagine using Power Point slides but each slide contains video/sound. Much easier to manage than other tools that record straight through. You can record each segment, apply graphic elements as desired. It integrated easily with other Adobe audio products for enhanced audio editing. Captivate does include limited audio editing tools, just enough to be handy.

Cons

I found the application would crash every now and then. Nothing I could not work around, but strange to have to experience that in today's world.

Camtasia

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Captivate

As mentioned, Adobe Captivate allows you to segment your video into slides which makes it much easier to manage the creation and edits of the video.

Camtasia

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Captivate

Easier to manage long videos (5 minutes or more) that require inserting elements such as graphics or highlights and notes.

I'm sad because I found this program late.

Reviewed on 5/5/2022

I find my experience with this software great and it helped me build some of the things I needed before
Using this, I was able to set up exams for myself, and to help out some colleaguesed before.

Pros

With Adobe Captivate, you can become a professional e-learning content writer with advanced interactive programs, scenario simulations and exams, also it does not require programming skills.
It contains many templates that you can add. You can capture the screen, record screen activity, and synchronize audio and video very easily
Adobe Captivate provides multiple animation effects, such as Adobe After Effects, where you can create sequential animations for a group of objects or for an individual object in an easy and simple way.
You can create exam questions and place them randomly due to avoiding cheating, and also after all this you can publish it in several publishing methods such as HTML5, exe.

Cons

In my opinion, I find it a little expensive, other than that the content creation tools are a little limited .

Jordanne
Jordanne

Exciting Product but not quite as intuitive as you would want

Reviewed on 6/2/2019

Pros

I love all of the features of this software. You really can do a lot with it such as create responsive learning modules, VR modules, and knowledge check videos among other things. Once you master the authoring aspect I really do think you can make amazing learning modules. I like that you can make e-learning modules that really span the entire gauntlet of what online learning can be, from simply uploading powerpoints to be viewed online, to creating incredibly immersive and engaging online modules.

Cons

It's not really as intuitive as Adobe would have you believe. They pitch it as software that you really use "out of the box" as it were, but that is only true if you are trying to do things that are really really simple like a software simulation or an instructional video. However if you are imagining that you can buy this and almost immediately make engaging modules with quizzes and games and quiz videos, I think you will be disappointed especially since the customer support from adobe is also not the best.

Craig
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Adobe Captivate not the choice for me

Reviewed on 12/1/2023

I understand this is a great tool but the price, large time investment required to be proficient, unintuitive navigation, and high bandwidth it takes up made the product not worth it.

Pros

Even though I didn’t have a great experience with this product, I recognize you can create really awesome courses, elearnings, microlearnings, etc.

Cons

My issues with Adobe Captivate can be boiled down to three things:1. Despite the interface looking familiar, I found it very difficult to navigate and perform basic functions.2. At the time I was using a virtual desktop to work and found this software put a great strain on my computer…so much so that everything moved at a snails pace.3. I acknowledge that, with time and effort, I could have learned to be proficient with Adobe Captivate. But that time investment, for the high the price, wasn’t feasible (especially considering if we chose this software, we’d have to teach others to use it as well).

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Pdf reader

Reviewed on 9/9/2019

Pros

This has been of a great help to me in reading and editing out pdf documents.

Cons

It doesnt really have any drawbacks. I an satisfied using this software.

Use Often

Reviewed on 16/7/2019

The perfect and most powerful course authoring tool.

The perfect and most powerful course authoring tool.

Pros

So many features such as responsive design, screen recording and script writing.

Cons

I feel overwhelmed at times to keep up with latest editions.

Courses Designing by Captivate

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

Pros

I used this software for creating courses online for my Organizations and I have found very useful specially in COVID19 Situation around the Globe however my most favorite feature of this software to choose the answer types by several options like multi choose, choose one etc

Cons

Its configurations related to issuing certificate is tricky which is not very user friendly and it needs to made simple and easy

Christina

Love it!

Reviewed on 8/6/2023

Pros

It fits nicely in the adobe suite. Good for eLearning.

Cons

Storyline is easier but this is less expensive

Cheikh

A formidable force in the e-learning sphere

Reviewed on 10/8/2021

Adobe Captivate saves me a lot of time with my clients

Adobe Captivate saves me a lot of time with my clients

Pros

While I am new to the platform, I am impressed. My current work demands me to use it over all other operating systems. Having used the entirety of Adobe Creative Cloud and other e-learning products, the switch to this platform is seamless.
Captivate is one of the top-tier development packages, although it has a high entry cost. The platform is robust and rich in nuances, allowing for extensive exploration of alternatives for designing completely customized courses and user interfaces.

Cons

While you may delve extensively into extended interactions, data reporting, and so on, the learning curve for knowing advanced actions, keywords, and so on is enormous. Variables get buried and are not as easy to manipulate as they are in Articulate Replay, but they are buried for a reason: you can really accomplish more with Captivate than you can with its rival application with similar features. To continue nitpicking, I'm not a fan of the filmstrip display used to illustrate the slide tale. This is a feature I admire in Articulate's e-learning since it strongly encourages non-linear branching, while the linear movie clip does little to inspire users to create complex learning opportunities, perpetuating the linear death by slides prevalent in virtual learning.

Felix Manuel
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Adobe Captivate saves time and money for you and your company

Reviewed on 27/3/2019

Since 2012 I'm using Captivate for make all the documentation and instruction manual for many software or website I've developed or I collaborated with, saving me and the companies a lot of time and troubles. This is very recommended for freelance developers and companies as well (companies of any kind that have employees using any software).

Pros

This software save you a lot of time on making your software documentation and/or how to teach the final user to use the software or website they need to do their work. Remember, “A picture is worth a thousand words”, and I think a video is worth a thousand pictures.

This is special useful on companies that have many employees, or with employees distributed for all the country/world. Companies that needs to take working the new employees as soon as possible, with a minimum loss of time on teaching him/her the new employee on how to use the software needed for their job.

Cons

In my special case, I need to complement this software with one video-editing software, for take more advantage and do more things that final user of my software/web very appreciate. However, Captivate works just fine by itself.

Alisa

Almost non-existent customer support

Reviewed on 7/1/2020

Pros

It contains all the functions that we need.

Cons

Customer support is non-existent. The automatic bot will chat with you for a bit then maybe a CS person will send you a link to their help page. If you need more help, they will schedule a call with you and never show up.
Customer Service outsourced to India.

BRIDGE

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Captivate

Outdated look, difficult administration.

Accord LMS

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Captivate

Annoying selling strategy in Bridge.
Sameer

Best tool for simulation and VR modules

Reviewed on 20/9/2019

Captivate is the best for simulation as compared to any other tool in the market. It the only tool which having 360 interactive output and can implement lots of things which will be in another tool in future.

Pros

There is no match for this tool for simulation of any website of the software.
Now it's including a fluid box for responsive design and it works really well on different sized devices.
We used to develop content for pure HTML 5 output and it output file works without any flash support.

Cons

Sometimes it becomes stuck when we try to insert assets from the library even if the RAM is 8GB.
Other than that it is the best tool available in the market place.

• Industry: Telecommunications
  • Used for 6-12 months

Incredible E-Learning tool!

Reviewed on 13/4/2020

Overall, I loved receiving the training created in Adobe Captivate. It is a great web-based training tool.

Pros

I have received training that has been created with Adobe Captivate and I can say it was great. It helped us stay focused and engaged with the whole learning experience. I couldn't believe this training was created locally and it was so successful that the training was launched globally.

Cons

After received training, I requested to receive training for the creation of training material for my team. This is not your average tool, you need a lot of time to learn how to create engaging interactions. I wish there was an easier version for faster creation of the material.

Michael
  • Industry: Banking

ELearning Design at it’s best!

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

Adobe Captivate has the power to help you create riveting eLearning experiences. It’s not as expensive as the competition, so you also get more bang for your buck.

Pros

This software can do just about anything that you would like for your eLearning courses. It’s easy to create interactive software demos, video role-plays, and detailed quizzes. If you have Adobe Captivate Prime, you can upload directly into the LMS. But even if you use another LMS, it’s easy to create a SCORM file and import it in.

Cons

It’s not the most intuitive product. You can do just about anything you would imagine, but it will take some experimentation. However, if you stick with it (or look up a few how-to’s on YoutTube) you’ll be all set!

Rachel
Rachel
  • Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Great Adobe product

Reviewed on 9/1/2019

Pros

Easy to use, Adobe is consistent in their buttons and features - so if you know how to use an adobe product, you'll at least be able to navigate this.

Cons

Adobe can also have a learning curve, which can make it difficult for newbies.

Creating courses

Reviewed on 15/2/2021

not a great experience but it might be enough for some to just to have a tool for .

Pros

we can create course content based on videos, slides, and interactive courses and track user progress, quick and final exam results.

Cons

it requires much more features and advancements and needs to make it much easier for users to achieve what they need.

Rollan
Rollan

Using Adobe Captive for delivering interactive E-learning content

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

Pros

Offers a way to use your old powerpoint presentations and convert them into interactive modules and upload it into your LMS of choice. Lots of assets available and other features such as screen capture and 360 simulations

Cons

The price is a big factor, it is a bit expensive. Not much updates since 2019.

Articulate 360
Grant
  • Industry: Media Production

Good for making E-Learning material, but a little dated

Reviewed on 5/3/2019

I use Adobe Captivate to make training material on our 360 publishing system. I've used it for many years, so have some good experience using it. The online export facilities have got better over time, and have helped me move away from having to distribute large video files.

Pros

I like that I can use Adobe Captivate to quite easily make E-Learning materials, that I can export to be viewed online.

Cons

I would like to see more progress on development of Adobe Captivate, as it is a little dated and could do with some more features.

Cyndi
  • Industry: Insurance

E-Learning Developers dream!

Reviewed on 9/12/2019

When I want to create a more interactive E-Learning course, I turn to Captivate over other similar software like Lectora.

Pros

Captivate's features go above and beyond other software out there for E-Learning development. In today's world, most people we come across seem to adapt better to hands on learning. Captivate allows you to create interactive and intuitive learning.

Cons

I have not found anything that I really don't like about the software. Creating some of the interactive experiences can be tedious at times, but that's to be expected with similar software of its kind.

Emily
  • Industry: Design
  • Used for 2+ years

Horrible, Overpriced, Outdated headache of a program.

Reviewed on 18/5/2021

Dismal would be the word to describe this experience. Used for company training courses and it was dreadful. Never again.

Pros

Has great potential but that is about the only pro for this software. Great idea, poorly implemented.

Cons

Where to begin, nothing works the right way. The layout and tools menu is atrocious. Incredibly dated. Needs an overhaul to bring it to today's standards.

Femi
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

A very useful tool

Reviewed on 10/2/2021

I work for an organisation that has virtualised all of its learning activities in the last one year due to the Covid 19 pandemic. All of our learning activities are now done online. You can imagine how useful this tool has been to me.

Pros

as a Learning and Development specialist, Adobe Captivate is a very useful tool for creating e-learning content. It took quite a while for me to learn to use it due to the many useful features. But once I got a hang of some of the basic features, I haven't used any other tool for over 2 years now.

Cons

It took me quite a while to get a decent understanding of how to use the tool. It has a lot of features. It took me watching a lot of DIY videos on Youtube and a lot of practice to get the hang of it.

Carlos

There are excellent features...

Reviewed on 28/8/2019

Pros

The most that I like and that I consider that is the most important feature is to save projects as HTML5. For example, I use to create real estate courses and save them as SCORM 1.2 (HTML5). With the new announcement that Google will deprecate Flash, I think that I made a great choice buying this software and saving courses as html5 instead of flash.

Cons

Very old interactive flash animations are not compatible, at least the ones that I tried.

Amardeep Singh
Amardeep Singh
  • Used for Free Trial

Powerful tool to create engaging and immersive content

Reviewed on 5/3/2019

Captivate is an effective tool for organizations and individual who want to create and deliver content to multiple channels such as mixed reality, mobile using advance features like gesture recognition. Not ideal choice for authors who want to create content fast and easy.

Pros

Captivate allows authors to create complex content. Features like geo location, mobile gesture recognition, virtual reality, responsive content creation using fluid boxes help in creation of immersive content. I like that tool gives enough power to authors to control learning outcome using custom logic and allows authors to view content as consumers of content would see it.

Cons

Tool is not easy to use, and new authors need to invest time to effectively use Captivate. Content creation process has a legacy feel to it and lacks seamless and effortless interfaces provided by some cloud-based tools.