PointOS

Point your restaurant in the right direction with PointOS.

3.6 /5 (54 reviews) Write a Review!

Katie R.

Works well for my bar

Reviewed on 23/7/2018

Overall I haven’t had any major issues. It does run slow at times but that’s probably related to the internet not the system. I’ve been using the system for nearly three years. I started with one station and recently bought two more. It is nice that there are no monthly fees.
Overall, I would recommend PointOS.

Pros

I like the set up of the software. I have three stations in my bar and they are all linked so you can add items to a tab from any station. The system is easy to use, based on my experience and that of my staff. Several of my staff report that PointOS is much easier to use than other software they’ve used at other bars. The item menu can be easily customized and alphabetized. I like that you can add recipes so if someone isn’t sure exactly what’s in a drink they can click on the recipe and see it at the station. It calculates cost per ounce when you add items to the inventory so figuring prices is easy.
The sales reports are quick and easy so it’s simple to pull reports to figure tax each month. There are also employee reports and each employee clocks in so hours are very easy to figure as are tips collected.

Cons

It would be nice if there were more item tabs. We sell a high volume of alcohol and mixed drinks and we don’t have room to put all of it on its own tab. Another thing that would be nice, but really not a big deal, is if there were more icons to make the item tabs easier to find. There are some icons, for instance the more popular beers have an icon so it’s easy to recognize. For items with no icon, you have to type it in. You can highlight the items by color which is helpful.
It is cumbersome to add everything in but I suppose every system is that way.

Response from PointOS

HI Katie,

Thank you for the feedback.

Our Support Team has troubleshooting steps to help improve performance and will assist as the best of their abilities to make sure when multiple terminals are in use that the communication between devices is not impeded by improperly setup firewalls and antivirus, but are limited in the abilities to assist with hardware that has not been purchased or maintained by PointOS.

Angela A.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Worst business decision I ever made

Reviewed on 24/2/2021

Horrible system, terrible support, an utter waste of money and a complete disappointment. My review ran out of space or I would have explained more of my PointOS trauma. I'm shopping for a system now and I am looking at Rezku, Touch Bistro, Lightspeed to name a few. But reviewing my memory of Pointos made me want to warn you all. Don't make my mistake. The only good part about Point of is [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] (sorry if I misspelled your name [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]) [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was incredible and always tried to help. Its not your fault PointOS is a broken nonfunctional disgrace to the POS market. I mean even my calculator can add payroll hours better. Do your self a favor and DONT BUY THIS SYSTEM.

Pros

I was sold on included features such as basic inventory management, payroll hours calculation and simplicity of the system. After 5 painful years working with PointOS Proffesionals and then PointOS XE all I can say is DONT DO IT!

Cons

Start by saying their proprietary screen doesn't have a power button (How do you forget a power ) So when it freezes sometimes daily they say oh just unplug it.
EVERY update for a glitch, I would think great its fixed.... but every time they fix something, they also break something. The reply?.... Sorry well fix that next time days or weeks later or never? The cycle repeats for 5 years almost non stop. Here's a few of the issues I experienced....
Auto entering tender amount at $483, Clearing all the tab names?, daily freezing!!, payroll addition errors?!, modifiers not working, mismatch error (2 systems they couldn't keep in communication, inability to work with merchant services to fix tech issues or my PCI issues (I got charged $20 extra a month and risked fraud for 9 months because they don't work together), support staff at night that don't know anything useful about the system.... the list goes on.
The system is so archaic, choppy and slow . refunding cash takes about 8 steps including multiple screens with forced prompts, warnings and notifications. Nothing is simple with PointOS.
It got to the point that I refused updates regularly unless I could be there and on a slow day just to deal with the onslaught of issues that arise every time I did an update.
Inventory is supposed to track ounces of liquor sold and remaining supply. After 5 years the number still make no sense. 2+2=17 huh? Im DONE!

Response from PointOS

We're very sorry to hear about your experience. We strive to provide the best software and service at the most cost-effective price, and we are disappointed to hear you were not entirely satisfied. Our support is always available to offer training on reports and batching. We're also happy to advise on compatible hardware specifications to ensure optimal software functionality. If we can be of service in the future, we'd love to show you our new platform and compatible hardware options to ensure a more positive experience.

Mike B.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Awful support

Reviewed on 9/6/2017

The software is exceptional - it is the service and support that makes this product a very poor choice.

Pros

Loaded with features. POS, Scheduling, Membership, Email intigration, delivery, payouts, calendar, more.

Cons

Poorly documented in some areas. Getting information to implement product functions if you can't figure it out in the manuals will require an additional support contract. In short, after the purchase you are on your own unless you pay them s lot more money.

Response from PointOS

Mike,

With our new how-to videos you can easily find all the information you need to address your queries. If you can't find what you're looking for and need additional support our new customer success team will gladly answer any questions you may have.

With the purchase of the new PointOS XE software for 39.99 per month customer support 24 hrs a day 7 days a week is included.

John C.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Horrible Customer Service

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Have not really realized any gain, there are a couple of things we wnted them to do for us but there has never been a reply to our requests, no phone calls, no feedbacks. they are just horrible when it comes to customer service.

Pros

They started off great when the software was just purchased, however, their customer service sucks

Cons

Their product support is horrible, they never answer or reply to any requests from their customers

Response from PointOS

Hi John,

We are sorry for the difficult time you had with the software and our pleased to say that our customer service has agents are now available 7 days a week 24hrs a day to assist with any issues you may have.

All the best.

Lansfield W.
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Functionality

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Pros

Ease of use by junior staff. Also running end of day reports for revenue purposes

Cons

Ability to keep an inventory of the components that goes into a product e.g cups, straws etc.

Ability to link it to QuickBooks Accounting

Response from PointOS

Lansfield,

The new updated PointOS XE software which is available at 39.99 per month for your first license and 29.99/mos thereafter integrates with quickbooks, and allows for the ability to keep all components of inventory from food and liquor to cups and straws.

Brandon H.

Good System

Reviewed on 29/8/2013

I personally set up and sell point os. The system is easy to learn especially with the FREE tech support and FREE online manuals available at your disposal. Buggy i think not! Works on almost all windows based systems to boot.

Response from PointOS

Brandon,

Thanks for your support.

Our customer service is available 24hrs a day 7 days a week, and we offer how-to videos to help get you started.

Fawzi N.
  • Industry: Restaurants

this point os can be hit

Reviewed on 29/8/2019

horrible. software is fine but support is bad

Pros

I like how easy to use it and it's customization is not bad

Cons

customer support is horrible. when I signed in for this software . one of the main thing I loved was the 24/7 tech support. of course what is a software without a support service. the first year the support was amazing. when we Renaud the support plan every thing went down . you call support they don't help any more. they cant or don't know. last time I had to wait 2 weeks for the customer support level 3 or what ever to call back and fix the problem.
my issue is a POS without a strong support is nothing .
so what we did . we ended up not renewing our service. we need to add more station but the question is it worth it without a good c support. now are in the market for a system because we can't work with a pos that have basically very poor support

PS we have 2 business that us pointos

Response from PointOS

Fawzi,

We are sorry to hear that you have had a difficult time with customer support.

With the purchase of the updated PointOS XE the payment plans start at just 39.99/mos for 1 license, and additional licenses are only 29.99/mos. This includes 24hr/7 day a week customer support from our new team of support representatives.

We also provide how-to videos to help with the set up and use of the PointOS system.

Amy G.

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Overall it works well for our situation. There are several things that I would love to be changed to make it even better.

Pros

It is easy to use. The set up isn’t complicated. The daily use is fairly easy even for those with limited computer knowledge.

Cons

The system does not work well for a business that utilizes charge accounts for customers. When those customers pay, there is no opportunity to add a tip when using a credit card. “Creative” bookwork has to be used to accommodate these tips. Which is something we do not want to do.

Response from PointOS

Amy,

Thank you for sending your valuable feedback.

Our new PointOS Software has significant improvements to our house account feature that include the ability to add and adjust tips made via a house account.

Tymber G.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great system that could use a few minor improvements.

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

We use PointOS for a bar. Overall we are satisfied with the system and what it allows us to do.

Pros

The ease of learning the system is great for new employees. Simple yet effective.

Cons

I wish the inventory was a bit more precise and user friendly.

Response from PointOS

Tymber

Thank you for the positive feedback, and we are glad to hear that the system is easy for you to use.

PointOS XE offers precise and thorough inventory recording from your food and liquor to your plastic cups and napkins. What ever you use and need to keep track of can be thoroughly recorded.

Michael T.

Simple and easy to use

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Tracks inventory and sales that others could not

Pros

The only software that does what I need.

Cons

Some reports can’t be run for more that a meek at a time. But that’s being worked on in PointOS XE

Response from PointOS

Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to give PointOS positive feedback.

PointOS XE offers a full service point of sale system for bars and restaurants.

We offer real time reporting on the cloud anytime anywhere. Set up multiple auto reports and have them emailed or sent via text message. Even send a text to the platform to get specific data.

Wm. trigg R.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Knowledgeable sales team. Responsive customer support. Easy to use POS. Great for pizza...

Reviewed on 7/6/2017

Quick start up when we opened up the restaurant and very little hassle going forward. I have complete confidence in the team at PointOS to help us resolve operational problems where the POS system can be of help.

Pros

Pizza builder makes it easy for for our staff to create custom pizzas. The system is easy to learn from set the set up to daily use.

Cons

The only issue we had was with the printer when we initially installed the product. Resolved with a replacement.

Response from PointOS

4th Street Pizza thanks for the review, and we're glad PointOS and the team are able to support your business needs with the pizza builder and 24hr customer support.

Jerry E.

Reviewed on 8/6/2017

Pros

Easy to use,
easy to program, can copy menu items key features into a new product
Employees learn it quickly

Cons

Limited amount of Pricing levels for a single product. (Only Good Customer, Special, Regular or Employee) As an example, you can't have "Bud Light" at regular , lower on Tuesday and a different another day... you can only have one pre-set price drop per week.

Response from PointOS

Hi Jerry,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback.

The newest versions of PointOS haves Select Customer Pricing Levels, distinct daily special pricing, and customizable "happy hour" pricing for even more customization.

Barry A.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Excellent POS for its time.

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Program was excellent but did not upgrade to tablet based. Too bad. I have been with NCR silver pro for a few years. iPad based but fairly slow and below average customer service. Lacks features. Very slow to add obvious features.

Pros

Very fast. Feature packed. Excellent customer service.

Cons

Credit card provider. No choice but theirs. Windows based, very cumbersome. Heavy footprint.

Response from PointOS

PointOS provides successful restaurants with a technology platform that combines point of sale, front of house, back of house and guest-facing technology with an integrated credit card processing solution custom-built for restaurants.

With newly in-house cc payment processing you can now rely on PointOS for your processing your payments. We offer secure & reliable payment processing with no hidden fees, and honest pricing.

PointOS is always striving to be better, and are always updating our feature offerings and product integrations.

David L.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Customer since 2012

Reviewed on 20/7/2018

Overall, great experience.

Pros

Very intuitive, easy to set up and modify.

Cons

Reporting, canned reports are just Okay. Need ability to generate custom reports and run automatically like the current daily , weekly, and monthly reports.
Could use some more info on the background SQL setup.

Response from PointOS

Thanks Dave! we know you'll be happy with XE it will give you all the flexibility you need!

Karen A.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Great POS System!

Reviewed on 18/7/2018

Great for tracking inventory and generating reports

Pros

It's very easy to use and to print reports

Cons

credit card reader doesnt work sometimes and I have to restart the system

Response from PointOS

Karen,

We are pleased you find our system easy to use and enjoy the features we have to offer.

In addition to those features we also offer integration with Quickbooks which will enable you to tackle your accounting more efficiently.

With our new payment processing system and hardware offerings from Elos we can ensure you shouldn't have credit card reader issues.

Pete O.

Over promised under delivered

Reviewed on 28/6/2019

I am not solving any problems point OS is causing problems for me

Pros

The price, of the equipment and how I could use it with all of my other computers

Cons

How I was promised things and shown things that can not done

Response from PointOS

Pete,

We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the PointOS platform.

The new PointOS XE provides successful restaurants with a technology platform that combines point of sale, front of house, back of house and guest-facing technology with an integrated credit card processing solution custom-built for restaurants.

Lorraine G.

Lorraine

Reviewed on 20/7/2018

Pros

Pretty simple to use, lots of reports

Cons

We are just a small bar so it’s a little more than what we need but it works well.

Response from PointOS

Lorraine,

We are glad to hear that our software is working for your business.

PointOS works for all businesses from 1-100 +.

K T.

POINTOS IS GOOD

Reviewed on 12/5/2012

you need to look for a system that can do debit not credit cards

Pros

THE PROGRAM IS THE BEST OUT THERE EZ TO USE. THE PEOPLE ARE VERY NICE AND GOOD

Cons

THE ONLY DRAW BACK IS credit card processor merchant WAREHOUSE,
GETTING OVER CHARGE, and not get the money in the account right, the credit card processing go's offline and can't charge any thing.

Response from PointOS

Hi Sandbar Grill

We are pleased to announce that all credit card processing has been brought in-house. With this we are able to offer better competitive rates, and release payments quicker. Additionally payments can still be made when your system is offline.

Alfredo H.

It work only with ONE Merchant provider and they are horrible

Reviewed on 26/9/2011

I recommended it

Pros

Customer support is excellent and free, easy to use and you can program it by your self.

Cons

They are attach to ONLY ONE Merchant provider, called Merchant Warehouse. Merchant warehouse, are rude, very poor customer services, and hard to deal with.
Hope POINTOS will open to more Merchant providers.

Response from PointOS

Hi Alfredo,

We are happy to say that all payment processing has been brought in-house and is no longer outsourced. With this we are able to offer competitive rates and better service.

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.

Angela G.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Used it for years

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Over all this software works well for me, my employees and myself have found ways to work around the issues that never get fixed or seem forever to be addressed. I don't like that PointOS does not let you know when they have fixed something you have reported. I use this for my liquor store and bar.

Pros

It's easy for employees to use, once you get that everything is ounce based it's pretty easy to program from the back end. Support is friendly and always answers and will move you up the food chain if you have a unique issue.

Cons

It has bugs and issues. I also can not see what items are tied to inventory items so if you make a mistake programing and building the data base good luck ever finding it. The reporting is minimal but better than what I had.

Response from PointOS

Angela,

We appreciate you taking the time to send this valuable feedback.

With our new PointOS software we have added new Cloud Reports to help manage customer requests for new reports. We also work directly with PointOS Customers using our newer software to help create an environment ideal for all of their needs.

The benefit of having our own Customer Success team now is that Customers will be informed of any support calls that are resolved outside of the current active call.
For technical related issues our Technical Support technicians will always keep our customers updated on resolutions, or ask for further info when needed until the issue is resolved.

Anthony P.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Pros

Price and features. It really is a great system for the price. Aside from a few of the glitches, it's well worth the money. I'm very happy with my purchase. However, if you are not tech savvy, be cautious buying. Customer support and technical support is useless. I set it up myself from day 1, so I was able to make sure everything was programmed properly.

Cons

There's still a lot of glitches in the system and customer support is some of the worst I've ever experienced. Technical help also is awful. They couldn't help me anytime I called in to tell them about some of the glitches I've noticed in their system. In fact, the one time I called in, the lady actually said, "wow, you know more than us about this".

Response from PointOS

Hi Anthony

We are so sorry to hear that you have had this experience.

We are happy to announce that PointOS has brought our Customer and Technical support in-house and have qualified representatives ready to assist 24hrs a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.

Mike W.

Worth the price!

Reviewed on 17/7/2018

Pros

PointOS is a great low-cost option in the expensive world of POS. We have used PointOS since we opened 4 years ago and they continue to add and improve features based on customer feedback. They have outstanding customer support!

Cons

Lack of online ordering capability and tablet orders.

Response from PointOS

Mike & The Camp Restaurant,

Thank you for your positive review. We really value our customers feedback, and are glad to hear we have been implementing and improving the PointOS software.

We are pleased to say that both online ordering, and tablet orders are now available with our updated system and new hardware offerings.

Thanks for your support.

Fawzi N.

Stay away From Point OS

Reviewed on 4/7/2020

Stay away from them
I have been using the system for some time. Started with point os pro and ended with Point XE. I just cannot express how much frustration, loss of money and time. Where do I start
Freezes all the time
Need to restarted multiple time a day
Terminals loose connection to the data bases multiple time a day
Support is a joke
The list goes for ever, but these are that main issues

Pros

Nothing . it is simply does not work.

Cons

Freezes all the time , Need to restarted multiple time a day and the list goes for ever

Response from PointOS

Hi Fawzi,

We're so sorry to hear about your experience and want to thank you for your feedback. PointOS strives to provide a quality point-of-sale and restaurant management platform that is easy to use and cost effective. We have since added additional support resources, and our team would be happy to help however possible. Please feel free to give us a call at 857-250-2719 if we can be of assistance.

Tim H.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Simple to use. Wish the online support was better.

Reviewed on 5/6/2017

Accountability

Pros

Very easy to program. Simple for my employees to use. Able to add stations to the system to better serve our customers

Cons

Put a second system on it and it's slower then the first computer. The mypointos app is unavailable. Support hasn't gotten back to me in two weeks.

Response from PointOS

Thank you for your feedback. We take customer contact seriously and apologize for your experience. PointOS Support will reach out to you within the next few hours to follow up. They will also create a support ticket. We recommend keeping those on hand.

Mike F.

Average at best

Reviewed on 29/7/2015

This one isn't even paid off yet and I'm already looking into replacing it.

Pros - price, easy to use, my sales guy/customer service guy is good.

Cons - touch screen works horribly, bartenders had to resort to using pen caps to get it to accept. It has been that way since day one. Tried stylus pens and those don't work either. must purchase excel to have reports emailed or printed. can't check online live unless pay for their service, credit card merchant options are terrible. can't bring up previous days closed tabs to check things that might be wrong. can't reprint cashier closing reports. can't split tabs 50/50 or 1/3,1/3,1/3...etc, etc. only by item, can't have the same item on special multiple days with different prices without changing it manually each day.

It's a decent enough system but I'm not satisfied I should have went with the pricier one!!!

Response from PointOS

The hardware issues as far as the touchscreen are strange. Screen might just need to be calibrated. The hardware is older and not purchased through us. A touch screen is just an input device like a mouse. Our program does nothing special to make it work. You should contact the manufacturer.

We do export to Excel but Open Office will open .xls files as well for free.

As far as online, we offer full cloud services for $99 year, but have free basic online and iOS app reports for free.

All previous tabs can be brought up by clicking the tab in the closed orders list. Here it can be reprinted. Also, you can split checks by item or by payment amount.

You can also have an item on special multiple days. We support 5 different price options with Happy Hour and Specials able to change the price on a time schedule.

I feel that this customer is simply unfamiliar with some of our features and am offering free training and help with their hardware