PointOS

Point your restaurant in the right direction with PointOS.

3.6 /5 (54 reviews) Write a Review!
3.6
3.5
3.3
3.8
3.5
Frank D.

Awesome

Never had a problem

Pros

So easy and understanding. Great valley with the money your spending. I’m so glad i end up with this awesome system

Cons

Sometimes it blocks and i need to restart the pc

Response from PointOS

Frank,

We are so happy that you are pleased with your PointOS point of sale system.

We are always aiming to provide the best value at an affordable price.

While we sell the software as just a license that you can place on any windows device, we do not provide support should something go wrong with your device. PointOS does offer new modern sleek hardware options from Elos with parts and labor warrantees and can replace your device next day.

Scott T.
Industry: Automotive

PointOS is solid but could be better

Reviewed on 18/7/2018

There have been a couple of issues that I have addressed with the company with no resolution. Truthfully it could be more but I dont recall, as we have been running the system for a couple years and I found work arounds. One of which I turned off printing sales tax on the receipt (as we include it in the price of the drink) and it still printed it on there. Another issue is different reports from the same day dont equal each other i.e. server sales reports vs a detailed daily report. As mentioned above the remote reporting software called mypointosconnect has been down many times for multiple days. When contacting customer service wait times typically run less than 15 minutes sometimes less than 2. Its not horrible software but its showing signs of age while other offerings add nice new features, PointOS has a built in jukebox that I've never ever used. I use streaming services for music in the establishment and have since a hard drive with 15k songs crashed during a busy night. If you looking for cutting edge features, you'll be better suited looking elsewhere but if you want something that works day in and day out with limited frills this might be your software. There update might fix some of my gripes, I'll find out the first week of August if they meet their deadline.

Pros

I like the fact in a tablet world, that I could install the software on a Windows PC. You actually own the software and the service contract is reasonably priced compared to others. By switching to PointOS, the processor they required for direct integration has been great and has saved us a bundle.

Cons

While it's nice to own the software and run it on a Windows box but Windows 7 is getting harder and harder to find. While the software worked flawlessly for the first year it has become sluggish and there have been numerous remote reporting outages as of late. They have been promising a brand new version for over two years and they finally have picked a launch date. The software looks dated and you have to run the system at a very low resolution to function properly. Lastly, automatically added charges or discounts are a percentage. If you want a happy hour price you have to set a happy hour price for every item.

Response from PointOS

Hi Scott,

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback.

PointOS has an all new user experience with the reliability of PointOS Professional with new features being added regularly. The new PointOS also has a dedicated development team that has provided expedited trouble responses for both software and some hardware issues.

PointOS has an excellent track record for adding new features requested by customers. We value all our customers feedback and our team is always looking for new ways to make PointOS better.

Robin S.

Test it carefully

Reviewed on 19/7/2018

I had a hard time accessing reports for May (I think it was May) because the Cloud was down. I have to access them separately and add in information because it was out for weeks. That is a real problem.
The weird reports are a problem.
It is pretty easy, otherwise. And for a place less complicated it might be fine.

Pros

Working with the company initially, assistance with installation. Completely simple without extra fluff. Inexpensive. The credit card processing company is top shelf; helpful and pleasant to work with.

Cons

The Cloud is not reliable. Extra steps, like running a credit card, pop up with every order entry. Having to name every tab if it's not cashed out right away. The reports do not translate well to quickbooks for our accountant.
If you hide or delete a menu item, it gets "ungrouped" which makes it impossible to get accurate reports by category. For example, we change Draft beers several times a week. We "hide" or delete those buttons because the page would be full several times over. When we run a report, we get a total for beer, and also for each "ungrouped' item, by name. We have to figure them out and add them back in to the total.
I think that reports by hour are set up strangely. We open at 11 am, so if I want to add up shifts, I start there and add up until 3, then 3 -8, then 8 to 11 and have to go back to the top for the rest of the day until 3 am. I don't know how to tweak this or if it can be tweaked. We've had so many support calls, we all dread them. I'm sure there are more examples.

Response from PointOS

Hey Robin, Our Team can help with the report start and end times. Also our new version bridges all the gaps this classic application may need to work well for you. Please get in contact and give you an over view of the new version.

50/50

Reviewed on 17/7/2018

Software is straightforward as long as the new updates don't screw any thing up. The great thing this company has going for it is the technical support department. Customer service experiences were terrible.

Pros

Software is easy to use and technical support is always friendly and available 24/7.

Cons

Customer service is completely lacking on this product. Purchased the remote desktop feature and it never did work on any device. iOS, Andriod or PC. This was a license for an extended time period. PointOS would not return any calls on this for weeks. When I was finally able to get ahold of somebody, Point OS refused to technically resolve the issue, or offer any refund, pro-rated or otherwise.

Response from PointOS

HI There,

Thank for taking the time to leave your valued feedback.

The PointOS Software (Pro and PointOS) are Windows? 7 or higher compatible. We are excited to say that our newest software that will be coming out soon will also support Android and iOS.

In addition our new customer success representatives are available 24 hrs 7 days a week 365 days a year to help assist with any questions.

PointOS review

Reviewed on 26/11/2018

It's ok, not great. When you call, it depends on which rep takes the call. A few of the guys are very helpful; others want you off the phone and will only provide the basics and not go beyond

Pros

easiness to add the food items for the restaurant and set up categories as needed

Cons

reporting. Their reports are not good, need improving. Plus have to do manually since unless you pay for cloud service you cannot access reports remotely

Response from PointOS

The PointOS platform provides an all in one point of sale system with features ranging from inventory and labor forecasting, to detailed reports and analytics that help you to make the right decisions for your business.

Our updated services included a low monthly fee of 39.99 per month for a PointOS license, which includes 24hr a day, 7 day a week customer service. Cloud services are also included in this price and allows you to access your reports from anywhere, anytime.

Jake M.
Industry: Restaurants

Company full of empty promises, defective products

Reviewed on 21/10/2017

Actually and absolutely no benefits whatsoever. That sounds exaggerated--but it is not.
(BEWARE. Sales people will tell you hardware will ship same day as payment clears, but this is NOT TRUE. Several days of delay after payment even after 4 follow-up calls.)

Pros

The only possible pro to this software was that you can download it online and there is not a long delay for setup.

Cons

Implementation of the PointOS Profesional software along with their hardware bundles was an unmitigated disaster. The software is riddled with glitches, anomalies, malfunctions and bugs. I spent hours and hours and hours on line with tech support fixing problems within the first 2 weeks.
After an agonizing opening week with thousands of dollars lost in comped food and upset customers I called in an IT expert to find and fix the problem. Ultimately, the hardware I received had a defective network adapter that caused the software to malfunction. PointOS abdicated all responsibility for their defective hardware and dragged me along from 8/9/17 to today without ever offering a resolution.
If you are looking for a nightmare software/hardware backed by a company that fundamentally fails to be not only proactive but even reactive to a customer's crisis than look no further. I purchased PointOS Professional for the lower price tag and quicker turn-around time and it was the worst mistake I have ever made.
You will PAY MORE for PointOS Profesional than their competitors once you figure in the losses, stain to your business reputation and sheer aggravation you will endure with this company. Best case scenario (everyone works right-which I guarantee won't happen) the software lacks countless basic features.
As a small business owner, I urge you to steer clear and wish you only the best of luck if you've made the mistake of purchasing the software before reading this review.

Response from PointOS

Hi Jake, we are very sorry you had this experience. I see the detailed notes on your account, unfortunately your printer arrived in a different mode than the standard PointOS mode. It did take longer than expected. However, it was identified in one business day. It was at this point the product team authorized to provide white glove support at no cost to you, which is above our standard support service. Our team identified your network had IP conflicts. Our standard support package does not include network configuration. It was at this time an IT person was brought in to work on site with our team. We then assisted with you with setup of 2 network printers, and a kitchen printer along with your stations. We logged over 10 hours of white glove assistance. The support tickets did not include reports of bugs. Specifically there were two tickets regarding issues with reporting and cash balances. The reporting issue was tied to the fact the POS terminal didn't have MS Excel on it, which pre

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Angela A.

Disappointing....but functional.

Reviewed on 15/8/2016

Sales person sold it well. However, it isn't easy to set up or use, reports are not set up well (at least not for my bar business) and customer service is great (especially day time) but recomendations to "development team" seem to fall on deaf ears or take very long to get a response.

Pros

Customer service during the day is very helpful. Multiple pricing options are useful.

Cons

Night time customer service are not as knowledgeable, but are still very nice.
The initial set up was very time consuming. They do hardly any of it for you. Little to no training. Just "play with it and call me with questions." I called constantly and had to redo things multiple times because no one had explained all the features. (Little boxes to check and what not).
It's has a fairly slow reaction time.
Reports are confusing and need a lot more work. Modifier report doesnt even show any prices of those listed modifiers. Inventory reports do not give you any kind of comparison. I have to go thru each menu item and calculate how much I am missing individually between what I had, what I sold and now what I actually have left.
My receipt printer was printing an extra 6 inches of paper for 6 weeks. During that time I requested help to fix the settings over 15 times. Finally, it is now printing normally. (This particular printer is very paper wasteful even at the smallest parameters. If I were to add a logo a one item purchase it would print a 10 inch long receipt! I said forget the logo, and settled for a 7.25 inch receipt.
The open tabs are not well organized and make searching for a current customer time consuming.
My staff are all disappointed in our purchase.

Response from PointOS

I'm sorry you had issues setting it up. It is a very robust piece of software with many settings, however we try to keep it as simple as possible. We allow imports of menu items, inventory items and employees directly from Excel spreadsheets to speed up the setup process. However, like QuickBooks or any of our competitors there is a learning curve if you are not familiar with Point Of Sale software.

Once setup we do strive for ease of use for the server, bartender or other employee using the system. The interface on the front end is intuitive and simple to use.

We offer many resources for setting up the system in addition to our 24/7 support. We have videos, online manuals, a knowledge base. Additionally you can talk to sales about setting up your menu for an additional charge.

I hope that now that it is setup, it is meeting your needs. If not please contact me personally and I will help you with any remaining issues.

Thanks!

Jongsoo K.

Need to pursue perfection

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Pros

Easy to use like adding new menus or easy setups, etc.

Cons

A lot of bugs. Not completed program yet.
1. Easy to mistake to hit cash payment button while printing customer receipt. This is most common mistake from every servers.
2. Some discount item (like wine special) prices are not reflected in the breakdown but total is correct (screen viewing is correct but printing is different from screen view). Not a professional POS yet!
3. Monitor size and PointOS screen mismatched. Too small screen!

Response from PointOS

Jongsoo

PointOS XE offers new display, and new features that can help make your restaurant and servers operate more efficiently with less mistakes.

Our new hardware offerings from Elos are modern, and sleek and come in different screen sizes so you can choose what is best for your restaurant.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Valerie S.
Industry: Restaurants

Support is great but software needs twe eking alot

Reviewed on 1/6/2017

Ease of reports

Pros

Ease of use, reports are plentiful but not always right. Easy for new hires to learn. Quite cash out process.

Cons

Have to have to many modifiers to complete an order. Wish it was more condensed but maybe I don't have it set up right.

Response from PointOS

HI Valerie

Thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable feedback.

The newest versions of PointOS has an all new Modifier/Recipe logic to make the experience easier and condense the number of unnecessary modifier screens and include multiple items in both Menu Item and Modifier Recipes.

Sonia S.

So far so good!

I am satisfied so far.

Pros

Been using the software for quite a while, and it's been working ok so far. Customer service is been very helpful.

Cons

Only complaints is when I have issues with the software there's no one can help you if it happen on weekends.

Response from PointOS

Sonia,
Our Customer Support Team is available when you don't have time to troubleshoot whether it's the credit card processing, POS software or WiFi system. With integrated payments, you don't need to just call PointOS. We offer 24/7/365 support.

Larry L.
Industry: Restaurants

I am just amazed at this system and reccomend it to all I speak to..Ty McDougal outdid himself

Reviewed on 21/5/2017

Easiness of operation

Pros

Everything about this system is exactly what the salesman told me.easy to use,support,and affordability

Cons

I have had minor start-up, problems..I truly love Pointos. It's Easy to use, easy to set up, easy to teach.Just an amazing product

Response from PointOS

Larry

We are so pleased to hear you are satisfied with the PointOS point of sale system for your establishment.

We pride our business on our 24hr 7 day a week customer service, ease of use and affordable pricing, so we are glad that you can confirm that.

Just my opinio

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

I was told the system had an integrated scale. It does not.

Pros

I like the reports from current to past day. How it sends reports to let you know how you have done for the week with production and where you are on payroll.

Cons

I wished the system would also do a graph to show how you did over the past couple of weeks as well.

Response from PointOS

Thank you for the feedback, and we value your input. The updated PointOS XE software offers graphs to give you a better visual on how your business doing.

Kevin S.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: Self Employed

This is a title.

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 20/11/2018

I mean, it does what it is supposed to do which is ring up orders and it has the ability to do so much more but the owners can't afford to hire me to program their software and they don't have time to put into it all that it can do so it is just basically using its basic functions. Support is expensive and required which was a terrible point. So terrible, in fact, that I will never recommend this software to any other company I represent again.

Pros

It was relatively easy to set up, I was able to train the end user on the parts of the software that mattered.

Cons

You MUST purchase a year of support when you purchase the software. Even if I have already purchased the software for another location. This is absurd and a waste of money. The software is expensive enough and doesn't have an overly professional feel to it.

Response from PointOS

Kevin,

We do apologize that you have had a bad experience with PointOS

We are proud to announce that PointOS XE offers competitive monthly payment plans starting at 39.99 per month, which is inclusive of 24hr, 7 days a week customer service and support.

PointOS prides itself on being the most affordable, easy to use point of sale software in the market.

Gary C.
Industry: Retail

Using PointOS at our cafe

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 20/11/2018

PointOS gets the job done and the price can't be beat.

Pros

PointOS was very easy to install, and setup. It handles take out orders, and call in orders very well.

Cons

After a cashier does a z-out (end of day closing), the PointOS system will not let you make a sale, until after the drawer cash is entered.

Also a search feature, for all items for sale, would be helpful for new hires who are not yet familiar with the menu.

Response from PointOS

Gary,

Thank you for taking the time to review and leaving feedback.

The newest version of PointOS will have a search feature that allows users to find items by searching both Menu Items and Modifiers attached to the Menu Items by name.

We can't wait!

Jeff C.
Industry: Hospitality

Not very well thought out

Reviewed on 28/7/2017

zero lost 1100 on purchase.

Pros

The pricing was fair. networking and backroom reports are fine. The system installed ok with tech help.

Cons

The sales person promised the functionality but was wrong. System doesn't open tabs as told. I was told it couldn't be done the way our software and others do it. Lots of programming in areas that are not popular in our area like music playlists etc. maybe in other areas that works not sure. biggest problem spending 1100+ for the one feature we needed in a busy bar.

Response from PointOS

Hi Jeff,

We have made some really great additions to the Software. We will reach out to you and discuss your tabs issue.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Ron B.

Very good once you get it set up

Reviewed on 20/2/2013

Very good - once you program it. Took me 25 data entry hours to load all of my menu items and tie them to inventory and I'm not that slow. My staff and I played with it a lot before we had enough confidence to go live with it. Some little twists and turns that need to be learned, but no major deal. However, once set up and going works beautifully. Totally satisfied.

Pros

Price. Flawless operation. Great customer support. All the features we need

Cons

Complete pain in the a** to set up. Operation not particularly intuitive at first.

Response from PointOS

Ron

We are so happy you are pleased with the PointOS system. With our updates in the software, and detailed how-to for setup it is now much easier to get your software going.

Thanks!

Dylan A.

Great software, Great price

Reviewed on 17/7/2009

I definitely recommend.

Pros

This is the best software I have found for my bar at any price. Customers love the integrated music, and it makes checking id's really easy.

Excellent customer support.

Cons

I can't think of any...

Response from PointOS

Dylan,

Thanks for the great review and were glad you are loving the software and the music integrations. We are currently in the process of updates which will allow for more integrations and can't wait to share this!

Thanks again.

Fawzi N.
Industry: Restaurants

this point os can be hit

Reviewed on 29/8/2019

horrible. software is fine but support is bad

Pros

I like how easy to use it and it's customization is not bad

Cons

customer support is horrible. when I signed in for this software . one of the main thing I loved was the 24/7 tech support. of course what is a software without a support service. the first year the support was amazing. when we Renaud the support plan every thing went down . you call support they don't help any more. they cant or don't know. last time I had to wait 2 weeks for the customer support level 3 or what ever to call back and fix the problem.
my issue is a POS without a strong support is nothing .
so what we did . we ended up not renewing our service. we need to add more station but the question is it worth it without a good c support. now are in the market for a system because we can't work with a pos that have basically very poor support

PS we have 2 business that us pointos

Response from PointOS

Fawzi,

We are sorry to hear that you have had a difficult time with customer support.

With the purchase of the updated PointOS XE the payment plans start at just 39.99/mos for 1 license, and additional licenses are only 29.99/mos. This includes 24hr/7 day a week customer support from our new team of support representatives.

We also provide how-to videos to help with the set up and use of the PointOS system.

Amy G.

PointOS

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Overall it works well for our situation. There are several things that I would love to be changed to make it even better.

Pros

It is easy to use. The set up isn’t complicated. The daily use is fairly easy even for those with limited computer knowledge.

Cons

The system does not work well for a business that utilizes charge accounts for customers. When those customers pay, there is no opportunity to add a tip when using a credit card. “Creative” bookwork has to be used to accommodate these tips. Which is something we do not want to do.

Response from PointOS

Amy,

Thank you for sending your valuable feedback.

Our new PointOS Software has significant improvements to our house account feature that include the ability to add and adjust tips made via a house account.

Tymber G.
Industry: Entertainment

Great system that could use a few minor improvements.

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

We use PointOS for a bar. Overall we are satisfied with the system and what it allows us to do.

Pros

The ease of learning the system is great for new employees. Simple yet effective.

Cons

I wish the inventory was a bit more precise and user friendly.

Response from PointOS

Tymber

Thank you for the positive feedback, and we are glad to hear that the system is easy for you to use.

PointOS XE offers precise and thorough inventory recording from your food and liquor to your plastic cups and napkins. What ever you use and need to keep track of can be thoroughly recorded.

Michael T.

Simple and easy to use

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Tracks inventory and sales that others could not

Pros

The only software that does what I need.

Cons

Some reports can’t be run for more that a meek at a time. But that’s being worked on in PointOS XE

Response from PointOS

Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to give PointOS positive feedback.

PointOS XE offers a full service point of sale system for bars and restaurants.

We offer real time reporting on the cloud anytime anywhere. Set up multiple auto reports and have them emailed or sent via text message. Even send a text to the platform to get specific data.

Jerry E.

Reviewed on 8/6/2017

Pros

Easy to use,
easy to program, can copy menu items key features into a new product
Employees learn it quickly

Cons

Limited amount of Pricing levels for a single product. (Only Good Customer, Special, Regular or Employee) As an example, you can't have "Bud Light" at regular , lower on Tuesday and a different another day... you can only have one pre-set price drop per week.

Response from PointOS

Hi Jerry,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback.

The newest versions of PointOS haves Select Customer Pricing Levels, distinct daily special pricing, and customizable "happy hour" pricing for even more customization.

Wm. trigg R.
Industry: Restaurants

Knowledgeable sales team. Responsive customer support. Easy to use POS. Great for pizza shop.

Reviewed on 7/6/2017

Quick start up when we opened up the restaurant and very little hassle going forward. I have complete confidence in the team at PointOS to help us resolve operational problems where the POS system can be of help.

Pros

Pizza builder makes it easy for for our staff to create custom pizzas. The system is easy to learn from set the set up to daily use.

Cons

The only issue we had was with the printer when we initially installed the product. Resolved with a replacement.

Response from PointOS

4th Street Pizza thanks for the review, and we're glad PointOS and the team are able to support your business needs with the pizza builder and 24hr customer support.

Barry A.
Industry: Retail

Excellent POS for its time.

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Program was excellent but did not upgrade to tablet based. Too bad. I have been with NCR silver pro for a few years. iPad based but fairly slow and below average customer service. Lacks features. Very slow to add obvious features.

Pros

Very fast. Feature packed. Excellent customer service.

Cons

Credit card provider. No choice but theirs. Windows based, very cumbersome. Heavy footprint.

Response from PointOS

PointOS provides successful restaurants with a technology platform that combines point of sale, front of house, back of house and guest-facing technology with an integrated credit card processing solution custom-built for restaurants.

With newly in-house cc payment processing you can now rely on PointOS for your processing your payments. We offer secure & reliable payment processing with no hidden fees, and honest pricing.

PointOS is always striving to be better, and are always updating our feature offerings and product integrations.

David L.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Customer since 2012

Reviewed on 20/7/2018

Overall, great experience.

Pros

Very intuitive, easy to set up and modify.

Cons

Reporting, canned reports are just Okay. Need ability to generate custom reports and run automatically like the current daily , weekly, and monthly reports.
Could use some more info on the background SQL setup.

Response from PointOS

Thanks Dave! we know you'll be happy with XE it will give you all the flexibility you need!