Bókun

Write a Review!
Cloud-based booking management solution for tourism industry

4.7/5
4.6/5
4.5/5
4.7/5

António Pedro
António Pedro

A huge change

Reviewed on 24/4/2020

Pros

I joined Bokun when they got acquired by Tripadvisor. The small commission was at drove me in, but then I realized it was so much more. It was easy to use, easy to integrate on our website with the widgets and I even found a payment provider better than the one I was using that connected well with them. But I would say the best is their customer service. The whole team is just nice and I've met a few of them at Arival as well. I always tell people when they start using bokun on my team or other teams (to which I have recommended bokun to) - the chat is your best friend, backed by very good tutorials!

Cons

Initially, the fact that the bookings could not be seen in a calendar was a difficulty, but it has been fixed.

Viktoria

The only booking software with options to match all needs

Reviewed on 22/1/2021

We used it as an operator (selling our products), as a reseller (selling others products) and through the API which we used in the software we were building. It was very easy to use and set up and offered help whenever we needed. As we were using the API we talked to both developers and customer support often and they were kind and helpful.

Pros

Whatever we needed it to do, it did. Rare were the cases when we could not set up products as we wanted them and then the developers listened and made the options available. If you are looking for software to offer your tours or sell other companies' products, Bókun is the way to go.

Cons

Sometimes it had down time that lasted for longer periods of time.

TourCMS , Rezdy and Rezgo

TourCMS

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Because of the lower price and because they offered the largest number of activities in the countries we were interested in.

Technical errors & unfriendly policies

Reviewed on 15/4/2020

We use bokun for booking of tour products via our website. However, after negative experiences with Bokun we are now looking for a better option - luckily there are countless better booking software products out there.

Pros

The possibility for resellers to gain access to your products.

Cons

Fairly many bugs in the system and exploitative terms & conditions. For tour operators: If a tour gets cancelled by the customer for whatever reason (sickness, travel restrictions due to covid 19, change of travel plans etc.) Bokun keeps all fees paid for the bookings if it is cancelled later than 1 month after the booking was placed by the customer. In total our company has lost about 10k NOK due to this policy, and we are expecting to loose quite significant amounts due to all the covid 19 related cancellations. While we refund the customer, being an understanding company that treats our guests with respect and doesn't take money for a tour that the guest cannot attend due to the world being in a crisis, bokun still takes the fees leaving the tour operator not only without income but with the burden of having to pay a fee for a booking that was cancelled!! At the same time their marketing strategy is trying to make them seem understanding and helpful to its users. Pure hypocricy! After having used bokun for quite some time now we have decided to look for an alternative booking system with less technical issues, provided by a company that values its customers and treats them fairly.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

We are sorry to hear about your poor experience. Our support team is here to help. We believe that this particular issue has been rectified, but please do not hesitate to reach out to [email protected].

To clarify a bit, we only charge a service fee for bookings made on your website when using our online booking engine; all bookings from other channels such as offline, from OTAs, or travel agents come at no charge from Bokun. We don't charge a fee for cancelled direct online bookings that are cancelled within the same month as the booking. But we do not automatically refund for past fees you've already paid to Bokun for bookings made in previous months.

We do hope that clarifies, and again our support team is here to help always, and especially during this difficult time.

The Bokun Team

Irene

Excellent customer support

Reviewed on 7/4/2024

Pros

24h live chat. Everytime we have an issue someone always helps us resolve it.

Cons

No cons so far. Everything we had difficulty understanding is solved.

Rae

Immense value for money

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

In my opinion BOKUN is the market leader for tour software that would suit ANY sized business. Their support is terrific and they are helping us grow our business with their channel manager functions. We have direct connections to major OTAs including Trip Adivsor/ Expedia and can also offer private booking areas for hotels and small retail travel agents with personalised pricing & currency.
So far anything that I've wanted when I started, or decided along the way that I've wanted- they've delivered. I'm obviously stoked with the product.

Pros

We have been using Bokun for roughly six months now. I spent 12 months trying and discarding other online platforms for tour sales because they were either too hard to use (even for a techie like me) or they lacked functionality. We were starting with almost no online sales and as a small business our budget was quite low. I was looking for a system with lots of functionality, connections to the OTA's and scaleable pricing. AND BOY did I find it!

Cons

There's nothing I don't like- just take note that with an amazing array of functions comes many moving parts. You need to be quite good to manage it all- but if in doubt their support is terrific and can take the hard parts off your hands.

Reasons for Choosing Bókun

We needed added functionality.

Rezgo

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Added functionality & a beautiful interface. PRICING also.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Rae,
Thank you so much for your review! Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected] if you have any product suggestions or any questions in the future -- we're here to help!

Andy
Andy

Bokun Continues to Improve Better & Better

Reviewed on 24/4/2020

I enjoy using Bokun and the user experience improves all the time - Keep up the good work Bokun Team!

Pros

Bokun's features keep getting better and better. With Bokun's new interface and booking widgets it's a much easier process for customers to book products. In fact, the number of clicks to make a booking has been reduced thanks to the new popup booking widget which also retains whatever has been added to the cart.

Cons

They are not many cons to using this free software - Apart from being able to have global questions which can be shared between products!

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Bokun offers a much easier solution to creating experiences and tours. This product is fool proof, and if you decide to come over from another platform - You'll be welcomed by the helpful staff!
Adie
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Helpful to manage and grow bussines tour and activities

Reviewed on 1/9/2020

I can grow my company and easy manage booking ,create product and also can be partner with others through this software.So I will keep use this bokun software.

Pros

The feature is very helpful to load,manage all of product we need.All of that is very easy to use also for beginner.This software can integrate with web and any and easy to create widget.

Cons

the feature always updating following our needs.All of step very familiar,no need expert to use this software.I can create own website in this software also they integrating with payment gateway like TrustMyTravel.

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Bokun connected with tripadvisor,viator and other OTA when the first time I know this software
Brian
  • Industry: Hospitality

Great product with awesome features

Reviewed on 25/4/2020

This software has lots of great features. I like everything about the software and the customer service is smooth and always friendly.

Pros

The idea of using software to centralize our sales from different channels is simply amazing. Bokun helped us put in order many of our internal processes. Plus, it's simply useful to use the Marketplace to find new partners.

Cons

I'm pretty good with technology but it was hard for some of my colleagues to understand the functionality of Bókun. I guess a better design would help. Also, trying to make things more simple and user-friendly would be great.
And sometimes it delays to load but not sure what the reason would be.

Rezdy and TrekkSoft

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Great price, great features, video tutorials to help, and from the very first moment they got my attention when I could see how easy it was to manage all our bookings.
Alexandra
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

All in one easy and friendly to use

Reviewed on 31/5/2020

I'm selling my tours in several websites and agents, and Bokun was the best choice that I could have done for my company. Tried other before and this one got me to where I wanted.

Pros

When I came across with Bokun I thought it would be another headache... I was so wrong. Easy to use, friendly and suoer nice costumer support.

Cons

I would love to have more time to explore all the features more detailed. So far I haven't seen any negative points.

TrekkSoft

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Easy to use, friendly approach, very reasonable price, no monthly fees, integration.
Nils
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Great software for tour operating with online sales channel

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

Pros

Bokun is incredibly easy to set up and use, while offering tons of features and an incredibly helpful support team.

Cons

Some features were interlinked and required us to set up a chain of different things, which got a bit confusing at times. This has, however, been mostly resolved by recent updates.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Nils,
Thank you for your review. We are always updating the Bokun product based on feedback from customers like you, so we're happy to hear that recent product updates have resolved some of your concerns. Please do not hesitate to reach out to [email protected] if there are other enhancements you would like to see added to Bokun.

Diane
  • Industry: Entertainment

Enjoyable experience

I have been extremely happy with Bokun and the customer service

I have been extremely happy with Bokun and the customer service

Pros

Was with another software company since changing to Bokun my bookings have tripled

Cons

Calander for employees is not easily accessible. I would like to see weekly calendar that employees would see as a schedule

FareHarbor

Reasons for Choosing Bókun

Needed more exposure

Peek Pro

I really liked the Customer Service and exposure
Verena
  • Industry: Sports

Support team is the best

Reviewed on 26/9/2018

It really helps us in our internal communication and organization.
It would be great if it would...

It really helps us in our internal communication and organization.
It would be great if it would help us in our marketing in the future. We have made contracts in the marketplace but none of them really brings us much business so far.

Pros

The customer service! Very quick, very clear, very helpful for all kind of questions and problems.

Cons

For example it should be more easy to make bookings for travel agents or clients which are not in the marketplace. It is a bit complicated to first set them all up as affiliates or agents and then make the bookings for them. Imagine, often hotels or booking offices call in to make a booking and I have to be much quicker to put the booking in.
The software is therefore in my opinion too limited to the marketplace.

I usually use the booking desk to put new bookings in but unfortunately it does not safe the commission here. I have to put it in as discount after I finished the booking.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Verena, thank you for your kind words!

Our help center is full of tips for using our product more effectively with both agents and affiliates. For agents, you're able to provide them with login access to your back-end system so they can make the bookings themselves without needing your assistance. You can also create an Agent Booking Area for agents to book your tours more easily. You can provide affiliates with booking engines that they can enter onto their website for customers to book directly. When a customer books a tour through them, you can see it immediately in your Sales Feed & track it in the Affiliate Report.

When using the Book: Experiences feature, you can choose an agent to view all of the products that are available to them. Commission will be added automatically so there's no need to add the discount afterwards. We are happy to work with you to ensure you're getting the most out of our Marketplace.

Please don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance!

Francisco

Finally found a Online Booking Hosting that fits all my needs

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

Online Booking was basically my main reason why I joined Bokun. I create my own webpages and I had used other online Booking Hostings in the past but none gave me so much as Bokun has done for me. I can connect/linked my products from Expedia, Viator, tripadvisor to Bokun a worryless of keeping track of my allotment since Bokun does it for me. I am 100% satisfied with Bokun.

Pros

It is easy to use if instructions are followed, Support Service is always there to help you or willing to get the work done for you, they are very courteous and attentive. Bokun has so many features to helping optimize Online Booking according to your customization. One gets so much for so low of charge. Helps a lot to interact and create partnerships with other users and companies from all over the world. Definitely 100% satisfied with Bokun.

Cons

I cannot think about anything that I like the least, perhaps at the start of becoming a new user I might had found it a little too much of information to learn, especially because it was also a new software and lots improvements were done to make it functional, but now it works flawless for me.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Thank you for your kind words, Francisco. We appreciate the feedback, especially about the process of learning the Bokun software. We are continuing to work on improving our education and onboarding experience since we know it is a lot to learn, especially at first. Please do not hesitate to reach out to [email protected] if you have any additional questions or comments.

Cristina
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Amazing digital platform to offer tours & activities

Reviewed on 21/11/2019

It's a perfect tool to focus all your experiences of the different suppliers and sellers in one system. At least with all sellers listed in the platform. Everyday we are having more sellers that were already selling our products in Bókun, so we have changed our agreements and made new ones through Bókun. It's easier for us. And above all, the possibility to contact new sellers registered in the platform.

Pros

The opportunity to get in touch with so many suppliers around the world. The function of the system to connect seller and supplier.

Cons

When the system forwards the booking confirmation to the supplier, the supplier doesn't receive the contact details of the customer.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Cristina,
We're so happy to hear that you've had such success with the Bokun B2B marketplace! Thank you for your feedback about the booking confirmation details. Each reseller can choose when to share customer information with the supplier. We recommend you speak to the reseller(s) you are working with and ask if they can adjust when they share the customer contact details. If you need more information about how the reseller can make this change within their account, please email us at [email protected].

Ryan
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Starting a subscription fee at the start of winter in a pandemic?!?

Reviewed on 22/10/2020

We are massively disappointed by the move Bokun has made from commission based bookings to a monthly subscription fee. This is the worst timing possible to release such a feature at the start of the winter season (most activity companies quite season) and during the COVID-19 pandemic when bookings are already low. With the additional option of paying for more additional features?? We put a lot of time and effort into Bokun setting up all our events. We will not be using there service again, we have now found a better/cheaper booking service.

Pros

Easy to use, used to be great for small businesses.

Cons

We had some issues with customers paying on the mobile phone through stripe on Bokun and has now become unaffordable for small businesses.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Ryan, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with Bokun's transition to a subscription-based model. Our Pro plan is currently free until the end of the month, after which it will cost $49 per month. Opting out of this plan shouldn't take more than a minute; it can be done easily in your account. You can always opt in and out seasonally, as subscription is on a monthly rolling basis.

We understand that this is a challenging time across the industry, and travelers can't wait to start booking trips and activities again. Our customers that use our widgets and website are seeing great conversion rates. We have invested in more sophisticated features for Bokun that we believe will help suppliers secure more bookings.

If you would like to discuss further how we can make Bokun work for your business, please contact us at [email protected].

Dubravko

Execution and support

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

Benefits are to have a software we can rely on, it provides ease of use, it's practical and have the best support we have ever experienced of any partner or platform we have worked with.

Pros

Speed, connectivity, ease of use, support.

Cons

Adaptability and tailoring for specific needs. We provide special products and software is not so adaptable for such services.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Dubravko,
Thank you for your kind words about our support team. We understand your concern about the lack of adaptability of the product for some features. If you haven't already, please do reach out to [email protected] and let us know what your specific needs are, and we can work with you to find solutions for your business's unique needs.

Paulina
  • Industry: Consumer Services

The people there are great!

Reviewed on 21/9/2018

The customer service is good, sometimes the technical staff is really slow at figuring out things. I find that they have a great corporate culture and I like working with people like that.

Pros

You can do wonderful things with is if you know where to clic and what you are looking for.

Cons

When it is updated, sometimes the Help section is not updated. There are some features that sometimes do not work properly or we would like seeing modified e.i. adding the day (Monday...) into the Activity Calendar rather than just the date itself.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Paulina,

Thanks for taking the time to review Bokun. We're glad to hear that you've found our tools easy to use and our customer service has been nice to work with!

We are currently reviewing our Helpdesk to improve and update articles and add new ones. We'll make sure to try to update our articles promptly with any new product releases moving forward.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding adding the days in the Activity Time Selector Widget. We will pass this on to our product manager for review.

Don't hesitate to reach out with any other feedback!

-Bokun Support

Super asset to TOs and TAs

Reviewed on 30/7/2019

Great Market place and smooth connectivty to partners

Great Market place and smooth connectivty to partners

Pros

Customer service
Pricing
Constant development

Cons

Just need to add separate entry process for different segments

TrekkSoft

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Raw and fresh versus big market player

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Thank you for your review and for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you have had success using the Bokun B2B Marketplace and connections to additional distribution channels. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions for suggestions.

Luke
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Honestly, the worst software we've used

Reviewed on 22/5/2019

Pros

None at all. We've racked out brains and can't think of one positive thing to say about Bokun.

Cons

Customer service is pathetic. Waiting up to a week for a response on time critical issues and even when they do reply, it's as basic and not relevant. Lost countless bookings due to delayed support.

Can't speak with anyone on the phone. APIs change without warning. Issues with customers receiving emails. Continually line of problems with the software which is badly thought out and executed. It would have the upside of being cheap, but then it takes so much of our time it ends up being more expensive than other software.

They are owned by TripAdvisor and Viator which we have similar problems with. Don't waste your time. In a nutshell - crap.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Thank you for your review. We understand your frustration and know how crucial it is to your business to receive customer support in a timely fashion. We are continually working to improve our customer service response times and the training of our support teams. We appreciate your feedback regarding our API updates and hear you loud and clear; we are currently working to enhance how we communicate product updates to our customers. A manger from our support team will be reaching out to you directly so we can make it right.

Océane
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Very good and user friendly

Reviewed on 18/8/2022

Good experience but we use this platform mainly because it's a tripadvisor property.

Pros

Very good customer service. The live chat is efficient.

Cons

The availability syncronization with viator and trip advisor is not direct and changes take too long to reflect.

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Connection with Viator and Tripadvisor.
Frank
Frank

It works great for me

Reviewed on 24/4/2020

I'm generally happy. I was assisted with my site and setting it up. I have been able to reach out to other resellers and operators in the marketplace and have working contracts with them. Everything has been easy for the most part. The only time I had an issue was when I would make a change that would affect the other OTA's and throw it out of synchronization, but Bokun was always quick to help me.

Pros

I am a sole proprietor operating food tour experiences. When I purchased Bokun they assigned a person to help me set up my site. That person would check back with me and any questions I had I would reach out to them. This allowed me to get up and going super quickly.

Cons

I still needed some help in getting it all set up so it's still a little bit more difficult than it should be. The only problems I had were when I would make changes that would throw the synchronization between the different OTA's out of whack and it wasn't immediately evident what it was that I did at the time. However, those are operator errors (my errors). Each time it happened, Bokun would help me out by letting me know exactly where those errors were made.

Bruce
  • Used for 6-12 months

12 months of floods, bushfires and COVID and now charging for what was free

Reviewed on 30/9/2020

It was supposed to be a reservation system for us to use.

It was supposed to be a reservation system for us to use.

Pros

It was free and only charged per transaction. Initially that charge was supposed to be 1%. However, it took quite some time to iron out the bugs and get it working so we have never managed to get a single booking through it.

Cons

After 12 months of floods, bushfires and COVID, Bokun decided that everyone wanted to pay them $49 per month ($588 per year) even when there were no revenue streams to be had due to Australian borders being closed. We have spent the last 12 months setting up for new products so that we would be able to book them when borders start to open. However, we are now back to square one.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Bruce, thank you for your review. We appreciate that you took the time to set up your products and were pleased with our product functionality.

Regarding the pricing change, we now provide a paid plan at $49 per month with a reduced service fee from 2.9% to 1.5% only for bookings that come through the booking engine and/or booking website. There is no additional charge for OTA, offline and marketplace bookings.

That said, we understand that the paid option may not be suitable for everyone at the moment. So we continue to give our customers the option to go for the free plan and still have the flexibility to move to the paid plan anytime, and vice versa.

For the month of October, you can still test out all the paid features before deciding on the price plan, as we waive the relevant charges.

If you need help with your pricing plan, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]. We'll be happy to assist.

Tim
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Used daily for online bookings and its perfect

Excellent. A very good move for me

Excellent. A very good move for me

Pros

The interface is clean and responsive - simple to view and use

Cons

More 3rd party payment portals would help.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Tim,
Thank you for your review and your feedback! Thank you for your suggestion on adding more 3rd party payment portals. We are continually adding more partners as well as overall feature updates to Bokun, and we will keep you posted with all of our updates.

Brittany

Lifesaver!

Reviewed on 1/9/2020

I use bokun as a channel manager with a direct API connection into my custom booking software. No other system was able to accomonadte this for me. The support team has been amazing along the way.

Pros

At first, Bokun may seem to lack a few features. I promise you it is there! After doing some digging and reaching out to my account manager, I was able to discover all the possibilities that Bokun can do.

Cons

Like any reservation software, there will always be some kinks or things that arent quite like you wish they were

Xola , Rezdy and FareHarbor
Victoria
  • Industry: Entertainment

Excellent program

Reviewed on 24/4/2020

Well our company needed more organization with the reservation sistem, and bokun really help to control our reservation and make it easy for everyone

Pros

It is really easy to use and really fast to find all the options

Cons

Sometimes the matching connection is wrong but support service always help us

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Because the program is easier to use