Matillion

Extract, transform, load platform for cloud data warehouses

4.3 /5 (96 reviews) Write a Review!
4.3
4.1
4.1
4.4
4.6
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Best and very much compatible ETL for Redshift

Reviewed on 25/6/2019

Pros

1.)All the components and transfomrations availability
2.)Specially oriented for data ingestion process using all aws services like rds, s3, sns, redshift
3.)easy admin, ssl setup
4.)very easy diagromatical representation of jobs

Cons

the latest button change for "switch version"

Agile Data Engineering

Reviewed on 13/6/2019

We use Matillion to produce highly curated datasets for customers. Matillion has allowed us to move this workload entirely into the data warehouse where the final work product lives, and cut processing time from days to hours.

Pros

Matillion allowed us to move a legacy ETL pipeline to BigQuery with speed, precision, and confidence. It is now used exclusively by our team for all of our ELT needs. The user interface is clean, intuitive, and allows members of the team to be immediately productive. Onboarding new users has never been easier.

Cons

Feature parity between the different flavors (Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery) is lacking, however, Matillion continues to make progress in narrowing the gap.

Sandeep K.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Need on the fly connectivity to different instance of Redshift

Reviewed on 14/6/2019

Pros

I like the bunch of API integrated in Matillion it helps me to directly grab the data from different sources without manually extra and import in my database.

Cons

I am using Matillion for Redshift from last more than 2 years. When i setup a project in Matillion with connection to a Redshift cluster, sometimes there is a need to extract the data from other instance of Redshift while running job in Matillion. In that case there is straight forward way of getting the data from other instance of Redshift like you have comments to extract the data from databases like SQL Server, Oracle etc. instead of first i need to run another job by connection second Redshift cluster and extract the records after that run different job to load the extracted records from S3 to main Redshift cluster.

Koteswar rao K.

Matillion_Koti_Feedback

Reviewed on 24/6/2019

I like working on matillion , but this tool can be made more flexible by providing some of the additional features.

Pros

1) Most of the components are user friendly.
2) Development of ETL orchestrations and transformation consumes less time.
3) Advanced features are available in some of the components makes the complex scenarios achievable.

Cons

1) OAuth document does not provide the details of proper permissions and access levels on account_id or client_id which are required for a connector.
2) Differentiation of naming convention of metrics between the console and matillion data model , mapping document of these naming conventions is not available.
3) Connector for Outbrain is not available.
4) Indirect file loading concept is not available , for example if we have five files with same structure , reg ex can not be used to load all files in a single component(s3 load,s3 put or excel)
and need to use the file iterator.
5) Loss of properties when the component configuration is changed from Basic to Advanced features , ideally the component should include all the properties of basic and then additional setting should be provided.

Mark E.
Company size: Self Employed

A Great Cloud-based Tool

Reviewed on 5/7/2019

I like it overall. It is easy to quickly learn and get up to speed. It is made to work in the environment I'm working in (AWS) and has a nice, clean browser-based interface to build and schedule jobs in EC2. Email-based support is responsive. However, I sometimes feel it is too expensive compared to alternatives for the value it adds and the ELT model, while beneficial in many ways, hamstrings the component feature-set.

Pros

Well integrated with AWS. Great browser-based interface. Develop in the same place where the code will run, as opposed to other solutions I use that develop in Windows and run in Linux. Easy to schedule.

Cons

I have mixed feelings on the overall value. The hourly rate really adds up over time. This is probably my biggest misgiving. Otherwise, I sometimes get frustrated with the ELT model because it means if the feature you need isn't supported within Redshift, it's up to you to create Python scripts or Bash scripts to enable it.

Paul C.
Industry: Sports
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Have been using Matillion for past 9 months

Reviewed on 28/6/2019

We have developed Data Warehouse for our business using Matillion. We employ 6k+ people, and Matillion was a perfect match for our needs. Storing data in Google Big query allows seamless access to it from other Cloud Products I.E. Google Data Studio. I love the product, and limitless possibilities it gives us. Pulling the data from anything you may think of, transforming it and then outputting into Big Query is very easy and straight forward.

Pros

My background is development and I love the simplicity of the Matillion, you can very easy transform your thought process into blocks in Matillion, and debug any issues at a very granular level.

Cons

Matillion crashes from time to time, meaning you need to log back on to the system, but its benefits definitely outweigh this small issue.

Adel H.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Extremely easy to use, but hits hard limits when dealing with lots of data

Reviewed on 17/6/2019

Overall experience isn't so great for the price we pay. Because of our hard limits we have to pay for two instances in order to handle our job loads. That wouldn't be a problem if we were able to scale the EC2 instance the software sits on. It makes no sense why an application has a specific hardware limits. Surely if we can spin up two separate instances to run concurrent jobs that are unrelated to each other, the same principle can be applied when scaling up with more cores/memory etc.

Pros

The ease of use is definitely the strongest aspect of Matillion. The GUI is exceptionally intuitive and even though the application flow speaks for itself, the documentation is also great for additional support.

Cons

You can hit a hard limit quite fast with the hardware when working with concurrent jobs running (Java Heap issues etc). You cannot increase the size of the instance (m4.xlarge) which means it becomes increasingly difficult to optimize. We are always trying to find work-arounds with the amount of data we need to load.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Martin H.
Industry: Media Production

Intuitive & Flexible

Reviewed on 4/7/2019

Pros

I love the GUI that Matillion employs - it makes creating and adjusting tasks very simple and transparent.

Cons

The scheduling of tasks is a little tricky, as we have to separately have to schedule the virtual machine to fire up and down. Once this is done though, it works faultlessly.

Deepaank satyam S.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great product for handling big data flow automation

Reviewed on 13/6/2019

Pros

This tool helps in automating etl process.

Cons

Integration with python is limited. Need this feature

Spencer B.

Excellent Product

Reviewed on 13/6/2019

We are able to quickly execute on ongoing ETL projects and ad hoc needs.

Pros

Ease of use and breadth of functionality.

Cons

We had a billing issue at one point when trying to renew but that was mostly due to AWS Marketplace and not Matillion as a product.

Matiilion - Cloud based, scalable, available ELT for Big data

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Overall it is user-friendly, easy to develop & deploy, secure ELT for big data use cases. It supports a lot of already built useful connectors, which helps to reduce marketability cost and time.

Pros

1) Easy to use
2) Several ingestion integrations
3) Custom RDBMS ingestion support
4) Robust transformation and Orchestration components

Cons

No availability of change data capture feature for many databases

Kal H.
Industry: E-Learning

Matillion ETL

Configured for AWS
Redshift compatible
Quick support turnaround

Cons

Not all connectors available - but new releases drop regularly

Annelaure B.
Industry: Telecommunications
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Yes but ..

Reviewed on 17/6/2019

Data transformation, data prep for python, data analysis

Pros

stable, close to SQL, integrated in AWS, fast

Cons

No data vizualisation (impossible to outpout the data directly in excel... )
Complicated to separate between orchestration in transformation

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Jose mari T.
Industry: Oil & Energy

Good

Reviewed on 29/7/2019

Overall Matillion is good and I'm sure it could be better.

Pros

I like the stability of the product. We haven't updated our version since we started.

Cons

Can't use simple SQL Functions like CURRENT_DATE in FIlter Component. And no Automatic Update.

Arnaud C.
Industry: Computer Software

Best visual ELT on the market

Reviewed on 1/7/2019

Matillion helped us develop various business use cases: Ambient temperature monitoring, ERP data centralization, data quality management. Components such as change detection were really helpful.

Pros

With Matillion, you can harness the power of major cloud data warehouses in no time.
What I love most is that you can give it to data engineers as well as ETL engineers with no prior experience with big data.

Cons

Error management and replay can be tricky to develop.

Gary N.
Industry: Mining & Metals
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Intuitive ETL

Reviewed on 13/6/2019

Speed of ETL development and templated approaches.

Pros

I could build a complete ETL process with absolutely no training at all in just a few hours. All of the components I expected to see where there, and heaps more. When I needed help - there it was!

Cons

Versioning and branching is difficult when developing, there is a total reliance on a unique component name.

Łukasz C.
Industry: Internet

Great piece of software

Reviewed on 13/6/2019

Importing data from different sources.

Pros

Easy to use. Easy to move a lot of different processes into one place.

Cons

Problematic API support. ESC closing windows without any warning and I lose everything I prepared in that window! More support for operations not exactly about read like elasticsearch index creation or ability to do PUT, POST and DELETE with API.

Lars J.

Matillion and Snowflake ELT

Reviewed on 13/6/2019

Building a data warehouse with AWS and Snowflake. Easy and quite fast to build ELT.

Pros

easy to get into. Orchestrations and Transformations makes it easy to build flows. Push down to Snowflake

Cons

No standalone client, no easy way to automate/generate (somegow possible with grid variables though)

Abhinav R.
Industry: Retail

Best ETL(ELT) tool in the market for AWS Redshift

Reviewed on 21/6/2019

In love with the tool, I highly recommend it. It’s perfect for the data warehouse we are building.

Pros

Easy to use. Quicker ETL. Comprehensive documentation

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. Perhaps round the clock support would be helpful, especially for customers located in Australia.

David C.
Industry: Restaurants
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great Snowflake integration, poor API support

Reviewed on 13/6/2019

It solved some difficult problems for us. As long as you understand its limitation in certain areas.

Pros

Snowflake integration works very well. In database features were what I was looking for.

Cons

Had to build most of my API calls using their Python script tool.

Alex P.

Excellent Product

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 22/6/2019

Pros

Ability to quickly build a fast, scalable pipeline for data ingestion

Cons

Honestly, there was very little. Whenever I had questions, customer service was extremely quick and helpful

Roger F.

Responsive to User Needs

Reviewed on 13/6/2019

Gets better and better with each release. Keep up the good work!

Pros

I've been using Matillion for about 2 and a half years. I've seen the software improve so much in that time. If I ever found a feature to be lacking, it would be included within the next couple release cycles. The software really seems to adapt as user needs have been evolving. Some of my favorite recent features are the ability to configure some components with just text (really saves me time) and the many Grid orchestration components which allow me to greatly reduce the complexity of the orchestration jobs.

Cons

UX is sometimes lacking or inconsistent. For example, let's say my goal is to replace an existing job with a new job of the same name. I delete the old job, and import the new one with the same name. All Orchestration components that used that job will understand to use the new job, but for some reason the scheduler doesn't.
Also, jobs will have validation errors simply because the components haven't been validated (grey borders). It can be confusing because you may be searching for an error in your work when all you actually have to do is revalidate the job.

Marcus vinícius S.
Industry: Financial Services

Matillion Usability

Reviewed on 5/7/2019

I really like Matillion ETL but I was a bit disappointed with some of its limitations and quirks, like when Twitter updated his API all my jobs stopped working and the only thing I could do was develop everything again without using the Matillion component.

When I was trying to make upsert procedures on RDS Databases, I was thrilled that the Matillion component has that option, bit it simply didn't work. It seems like these functionalities haven't got the same attention of the others, I contacted the Matillion support which is simply great and these things are still going to be fixed.

When I wanted specific libraries of Python, I couldn't get it working on my instance because pip was out of date and it couldn't be updated. I tried to update and I messed up with my instance.

Overall, Matillion is great, when you're creating a flow of data migration and you need to parse the data before and do some automations, but there are some cases when you need something a little more specific, that's when it becomes a pain.

Pros

The ease to use, Matillion has a great set of tools that make complex and difficult process more simple and fast to develop.

Cons

There are many tools in Matillion that doesn't have enough attention and because of that these tools are fragile, while some of them do not work.

Joe E.
Industry: Publishing

Matillion for Data Engineers

Reviewed on 28/6/2019

An easy to use tool that has allowed me to build a fully automated data warehouse to report to the business, it was easy to learn and implement, and as difficult as SQL to master. I think the real complexity comes from optimising complex workflows, the more T you need in the ETL/ELT process, the more Matillion falls down. This being said it is a very good tool for 90% of your work.

Pros

It is easy to use and quick to get started, there are many inbuilt APIs and transformations that integrate it across a broad suite of systems, and enable you to transform data for the business without having to spend too much time thinking about scripts or bespoke batch files.

Cons

The filter transformer is pretty minimal considering the power of the SQL it is utilising, it cannot use compound logic or reference other columns/objects in the query.
There is also optimisation issues in very complex workspaces.
Both of these have easy to use workarounds but it is unfortunate it is not supported more at surface level.

Oliver S.
Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Fast track to results

Reviewed on 14/6/2019

Very helpful support which takes care of all our problems, especially with "stupid" beginner questions.

Pros

Very easy to use and very easy to get results. Fast implementation cycles compared to other tools. Best is to loop over variables which enables simple but powerful solutions.

Cons

Sometimes more flexibilty on specific tasks, e.g. Excel import or csv.