Ellucian

Suite of operations tools for higher education

3.6 /5 (66 reviews) Write a Review!

Danielle B.

Banner by Ellucian

Reviewed on 16/10/2020

Overall working with Ellucian has been pleasant. My employer had the system long before I came around so I can't speak to the implementation. Anytime I have needed to reach out to Ellucian with an issue or create a ticket they have been very helpful

Pros

Once you learn the terminology to search by, using the software becomes a lot easier. I frequently use reports for tracking open invoices and running payments. I like that the system is dynamic in that it updates quickly when another user is making a change.

Cons

It was a difficult system for me to learn and I couldn't find much training material for it. The reports you can run are basic and need a lot of manipulation to do any analytics.

Lisa R.

Ellucian User for 15+ years

Reviewed on 30/8/2019

Pros

Since our college gained access to the web-based version of Ellucian (we call it Colleague at our school, too), it has been a lot easier to use.

Cons

I wish the help feature and other help documents were a little easier to follow. We used to have a gentleman who worked in Admissions & Records that would make PowerPoint presentations and quick guides to help out the Ellucian users.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Banner is a fantastic data management tool.

Reviewed on 22/3/2018

Pros

It's a rock-solid application that you can count on. That in and of itself is a huge deal. It works, has minimal bugs, and is the backbone of how we manage our data.
When other applications are having a problem or we have a data integrity question, we often say "What is it in Banner?" because we know it will be correct there.

Cons

It can be a little scary at first to new users, which I can speak to from experience. But the new interface is definitely helping with that.
I would also love to see Ellucian develop a proper higher-education CRM tool. We had to go with another vendor because we needed something more comprehensive than what Banner could offer (Application Reviewing, Events Management, etc).
I think Ellucian is missing out on a huge financial opportunity and could take a massive chunk out of the Higher Ed CRM market if they were to develop one.

Cassaundra L.

Literally the Worst

Reviewed on 6/2/2019

On top of clunky, unreliable system is a virtually non-existent customer service/support team. You can post/reference questions to/by other users, but other than that you basically just get the 900 page technical manual and have to figure it out yourself. If you have a home-grown system and are considering making the switch to Ellucian--don't! Just wait a couple years for another company, like Workday, to develop a SIS that makes sense. Ellucian is a dinosaur.

Pros

When Ellucian's products were first released--decades ago--they were cutting edge. Banner, their SIS (Student Information System) quickly became the industry standard for enterprise databases on college campuses which transformed the way higher education leaders use data to make informed decisions. Their products continue to be effective for large universities that have every module of Banner installed, i.e. have their entire campus from registrar to bursar to admissions running on an Ellucian solution. When used "out-of-the-box" it does its job, not easily or beautifully, but gets it done.

Cons

It's as if Ellucian (and their strongest competitor PeopleSoft) got comfortable once they dominated the market and just stopped trying to make the actual user experience better. They put on large, fancy conferences and have great branding, but using their systems is a NIGHTMARE. A different programmer designed every form/screen/section so they all function differently. Where two clicks should do, fourteen are required. The bugs far outweigh the features. Something breaks more often than it doesn't. It's awful, but they have us trapped because no one else can compete with them. Sometimes I think it would all be easier if we just used Excel to track student records! Since our school implemented Ellucian products 5 years ago, to the tune of millions of dollars, we've had to add 2 new positions in our office just to handle the tech components. And don't even get me started on what happens when you attempt to customize their products. Endless headaches.

Rebecca B.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Great Software

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Overall experience has been great, just a few things that can get confusing or hard to do, but other than that, it is very useful for what we use it for. We keep a lot of information and this software allows us to do that.

Pros

This software allows us a great way to keep track of giving history, event information, solicitations and personal information. Also allows us to pull simple and in depth reports.

Cons

Can be a little cumbersome sometimes when you want to dive deeper. Pulling in depth reports can be confusing with continued training.

Ashley V.

Ellucian works well as a student information system.

Reviewed on 13/4/2018

Pros

The software houses all of our student information and IT finds securing the database reasonable for higher education. Though Ellucian, we are able to recruit, register, and maintain financial aid records for students. Our HR office also uses it to house employee and faculty information.

Cons

Many of the screens take excessive commands to get through. There are three or four extra steps every time you want to pull a transcript, run an evaluation, or register a student for classes.

Nela B.

Worked in Ellucian at a community college

Reviewed on 25/4/2018

Pros

Very user friendly. Screens are very self explanatory making it easier to understand what fields need to be filled out

Cons

There is a lot of functions that cannot be changed once saved. In leaves it would be beneficial if you could delete something if it was inputted incorrectly

Not user friendly

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

n/a

Pros

It keeps all of our student databases, it integrates with our LMS so grades can be transferred without having to be manually typed.

Cons

The clunky look. It seriously needs to be updated to a modern, easier to use interface.

Larry B.

It gets the job done

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Pros

Fully operational ERP, many different tools and options

Cons

The company itself is the worst. Their customer service is abysmal.

• Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great for students

Reviewed on 19/9/2019

Ellucian powers institutions with technology and services to help students like me to achieve these goals.

Pros

This software is one of the most useful software that I have gone though. It helps me a lot in finding scholarship oppartunities.

Cons

I did not find many cons on this software but if I want to say one this is quite expensive not user-friendly.

Michael M.

Review of Colleague by Ellucian

Reviewed on 5/4/2019

Overall it is a decent product. I am on the non-credit side of the school and utilize it a little less than those on the credit side, however, it is still a decent product.

Pros

It is a decent way to organize all of student data. It also allows for managing the fiances of my departments.

Cons

It takes some time to understand how to use it efficiently. I have been using it for a year and still discover different features.

Reginald l. B.

Great Tracker

Reviewed on 27/8/2019

Pros

With the new implementation of the Graduate College student tracking has become a higher priority. With this software our department is able to track students from start to finish. We house the most graduate students in our college and it’s been a hassle to maintain . But this program was able to help us identify what was holding students up (Thesis). After this we made changes to our requirements and also implemented a milestone tracker which has help every single student.

Cons

I have no cons so far. Everything has been great on my end.

Richard F.

Needs to improve signficantly.

Reviewed on 22/7/2019

Pros

It has a lot of great functions and features (when they work). Makes it easy to upload contacts into the CRM and it has a lot of customizable options.

Cons

It can very unreliable and dealing with support has been time consuming. The layout of the CRM is also unescarailly complex and is very difficult to learn for new users, it can costly to setup training of the CRM tool with our support team as well.

Sabrina Y.
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Amazing ERP system for higher education operations!

Reviewed on 14/1/2020

I love the system, It has been utilized within my office and also in various departments within our university and it has been extremely useful for various items including institutional research integrations.

Pros

I love how easy The program allows you to transition within the system. I think they really kept in mind the end users experience when utilizing the ERP system.

Cons

There’s not much that I did not like about the system, I love the fact that it integrated so many integral parts of the system that allows you to operate within one system to manage multiple areas.

Reviewed on 8/4/2020

Pros

My workplace uses Ellucian's Banner 9 for a Learning Management System. It's great to use codes to view different records.

Cons

Elluican's Banner 9 feels like it wasn't created with input from working professionals who actually use Banner 9. The navigation is clunky and slow. The interface isn't intuitive. I would never recommend this service to my worst enemy. Don't walk away from Ellucian, RUN!

Mammed M.

Awesome for studying

Reviewed on 8/3/2017

very useful app for learning. Definitely recommended everyone. Especially if u are having troubles with passing exams.

Pros

makes learning fast

Cons

pro version is too expensive for an average student

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Access your university from your pc

Reviewed on 3/4/2019

I have used this system when I was a professor assistant and student

Pros

This product provides a learning management system which makes the jobs easier for students and the professors. Students can easly check their duties and see their activities on this system and professors can easily manage their classes easily.

Cons

If there are a lot of students dont buy this software, during the peak times it makes lots of bottleneck and managing the problem is not that easy always some problem appears if some administrative user did something wrong. The money you pay and the service you have dont compensate each other

Cyrus C.

Mixed Reviews

Reviewed on 14/12/2018

They are an established Higher Education software that is on the cutting edge with a lot of what they offer. The partnerships they offer with vendors seems to fall short in some cases. The support they offer for the products is generally good. But depending on the application may depend on how quickly they respond to support questions/issues.

Pros

Offers a variety of different software solutions that integrates with its ERP (Banner or Colleague). Along with a variety of ancillary applications that integrate with the ERP.

Cons

Cost would be by far the biggest issue. The second would be that as of late the company has a tendency to tout its upcoming or just released products will work but in reality it is being built and developed as the sales people speak. To be fair their established software generally works well and no complaints.

Connie T.

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

We use this as our database for all alumni and friends.

Pros

It's easy to use and my favorite thing about this software is that I can enter very little info to do a search to find who I'm looking for. The possibilities are endless!

Cons

When it shows a listing of all the proposals a person has received, I have to pull each one up because there isn't anything about the listing that identifies specific ones. It's a minor irritation

Sarah T.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Reviewed on 5/4/2019

Pros

I like that you can see a lot of different types of information and don't necessarily need additional software to get the job done.

Cons

It can be difficult to navigate through the different windows until you are really well versed.

Improves education experience

Reviewed on 19/5/2018

Pros

I like how it allows users to view academic information easily. For higher education this software is greatly beneficial.

Cons

I do not like how there are times where the software is glitchy or will sign out if inactive for too long.

• Industry: Higher Education

Use this for University student records, receiving payments, accounts Payables, P/R and...

Reviewed on 13/2/2018

With angst and time we get what we need from it.

Pros

Contains a lot of integrated and complex data. From Human Resources, Student Records and Services, Payroll, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable all in one softward

Cons

so NOT intuitive or user friendly. We have to have a whole IT department just overseeing the functionality of this software. Users are frustrated in each area - Payroll, Accounts Payables, Student Services... no one seems to feel the software was created for their unique purposes. We keep trying to find the department that loves it...

Quality Updates with Ellucian

Reviewed on 2/4/2019

Pros

I like the user interface of Ellucian! It's easily navigable and very functional in every way. I work in Education and Ellucian is really helpful when inputting various forms of information into the system. It's quick and easy to use with every click you make.

Cons

I wish the keyboard shortcuts for Ellucian were easy to find.

Iris S.

Can't begin to describe how horrible

Reviewed on 16/11/2019

The navigation makes absolutely no sense, it's is extremely hard to just register for classes and find your way to the proper information. Absolutely unintuitive and simply extremely ugly. It looks like it's built in the 90ies.

Pros

Absolutely nothing, besides it just being horribly ugly the UX and Usability is utterly terrible.

Cons

As professional in tech I decided to enroll in some part time college classes for enrichment and I was appalled at the software system both schools had for students. Both systems for some reason look and navigate completely different but I found out are still made by the same company. Both is so complicated to use (again both totally different though students need to perform the same tasks) and I'm not sure why people (both school but especially the software company) think this acceptable is beyond me.

Neisha P.

Ellucian for Community College

Reviewed on 14/11/2018

In the beginning I had to constantly keep my list of instructions handy if I wanted to enter a requisition for a purchase order, now its easy because I've done so many. Practice makes perfect!!!!

Pros

I liked how you can add features, customize it for the needs of the institution. I work for a small college and we don't need all the extra features that the larger colleges might implement.

Cons

It can be a little difficult to navigate for the beginner. Unless the user knows what they want there is a chance of getting lost. Ive been using the software for about 4 years now and i sometimes get lost or have to search for specific information. There is no menu with a list of options. So I guess what I'm saying is that it would be nice if it was more user friendly, easier to navigate.