Figma

Collaborative platform for UI designing and prototyping

4.7 /5 (253 reviews) Write a Review!

Abdelmadjid H.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Excellent tool for building beautiful mockups

Reviewed on 13/2/2021

Figma has quickly become our main UI development tool.

Pros

Figma is really focused on Web UI which sets it apart from generalist tools like Adobe Illustrator. I also really appreciate that it is built as a Web app, making it totally platform-agnostic, unlike industry-standard Sketch which is limited to macOS. A lot of effort has been put into how easily assets can be imported, like for instance how adding SVG objects is only a matter of drag and dropping SVG files directly from the local filesystem. Figma really feels and operates like a native app, with all the benefits of an online service.

Cons

There's very little to dislike about it. I guess the biggest con is that it can be hard to operate in an offline environment.

Jonathan W.

Great For Prototyping

Reviewed on 29/8/2020

Figma is a great at its core purpose: designing and prototyping UIs. I prefer it it over Sketch or Envision, and it's basically even with XD in my book. It gives you some vector editing ability for free, too, so it's nice to have when you can't access another program. I would definitely recommend.

Pros

Overall, Figma is great for wireframing, prototyping, and mockups. I really like the way it gives you the CSS for your design, although I haven't used this feature as much as I originally thought I would. The ability to easily share assets across the team is great, too, and it's nice to have a OS agnostic piece of software unlike Sketch.

Cons

I am so used to Adobe shortcuts in Illustrator and Photoshop that I'll find myself trying to use them in Figma and doing things I don't mean to do like switching tabs. It is also limited in its ability edit vectors, so if I have big edits I still opt for Illustrator and then bring it back into Figma when I'm done.

• Industry: Design

Not a steep learning curve coming from designing in Sketch

Reviewed on 20/12/2019

It's been a seamless experience working with the software. Great controls, love the previewing experience so I can test designs on different devices. Love being able to collaborate with the team and see what everyone's working on. It'll definitely be more efficient in the long run.

Pros

Helps the team stay super organized, love the real-time collaboration and being able to see one another's cursors. I was coming from Sketch so I was worried about having to learn a new software, but the only real difference is better vector handling in Figma and some differences in menus/navigation within the app. Once I got the hang of it, it's made workflow so easy especially with type styles and other pre-set elements from our team's design system.

Cons

The top navigation within the app is a little hard to understand. The Category / Project title in the center of the workspace seems to me like it would also be usable as navigation, but if I click The Category it takes me into trying to move the file to a different location, when really I'm just intuitively trying to jump up to the next level of hierarchy. Getting "back to files" view is not super intuitive.

Michela P.

Almost perfect

Reviewed on 1/12/2020

it is a well-made software and it is easy to create layouts and then transform them into the actual development web pages. The inspector part is very useful to quickly retrieve the css and the characteristics of the elements. Sharing and feedback between teams and customers is very useful.

Pros

collaborativeness, ease of use, cross-platform approach, cloud project. A lot of plugin and resources from Figma community.

Cons

At first it takes some time to understand some features but with the video tutorials, well done, it's pretty quick to understand

Lee B.

Great for teams of designers working on small design projects

Reviewed on 16/4/2020

In general, Figma has been great. As mentioned in the cons section, it can get a little slow if a project is too big. I've also run into some small bugs with updating libraries and propagating those changes through other files. The issues resolve themselves when I restart the Figma desktop client, though.

Pros

All files are in the cloud which makes collaboration with other team members very easy. We can all contribute to the same design...even at the same time.

Cons

If projects get too big or a prototype gets too complex, the software can get kind of slow.

I LOVE Figma

Reviewed on 14/12/2018

Pros

I love that it's web-based but you can also download it and everything's in one place. It opens quickly and everything's really fast. They are constantly improving the performance and adding new tools and features. They recently added the PDF export feature and that shows that they really listen to their users because that was one of the most requested features.

Cons

They changed the way the artboards work and now when trying to resize them it tries to resize/move EVERYTHING in it. It didn't do that a couple of updates ago. It's extremely annoying and it just doesn't make sense to me why it behaves like that. So I have to group everything, move it out of the artboard, resize the artboard and then move everything back in. Not good!

• Industry: Biotechnology

Figma is the one-stop shop for all graphic design

Reviewed on 13/12/2020

Figma is great for a huge varierty of functions and has found love in sectors beyond what it was designed for. It really has disrupted a wide range of markets.

Pros

It's free tier is amazing:
you can create svg images, which can be downloaded in any format
you can create semi-functional wireframes and mockups
you can share and accept comments from reviewers

Cons

Lacking some features:
Does not support making animations,
Does not support saving user data in prototypes,
Custom font integration is fiddly,
Does not support functional input boxes
Reviewers need to have figma accounts

Kaodiechi C.

COLLABORATION

Reviewed on 30/11/2018

I'm a UI/Ux designer. I design web/mobile app with Figma, giving users a feel of what they desire. I have enjoyed Figma more than any other app design tool.

Pros

Figma is one app design tool I have made my choice. It's not just a tool, it's a feel. I love the collaborative feature, working together with a collegue or client simultenouesly. It gives you a feel of the app you're working on without disrupting what the next person is also working on, despite doing that on same canvas.

Cons

Figma is still a web-based app. For users to be able to fully happy, there should be a free use of the Figma when there's limited or no internet access.
Secondly, I have long expected to see Figma integrate animation features. This will buy my soul eternally for Figma.

Jonathan S.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Figma is an innovative, collaborative, powerful shared design tool for teams.

Reviewed on 2/7/2018

This product has enabled our entire team to be productive at a myriad of design projects from marketing, to product.

Pros

Figma has outpaced Sketch in terms of UI design allowing you to collaborate on a myriad of design projects in the browser, along with your entire team. Also they've recently forayed into enabling teams to build shared component libraries, and tap into external services via the Figma Platform API.

Cons

Figma (in its early days) had some bugs and lagginess, but that has eradicated. It is stable, fast, and solid for nearly any digital design project.

Terry S.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Figma Helps Keep the Creative Process Together!

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

Pros

Figma has a very intuitive display and design that lets me really get onto the platform and really crank out creatives and work collaboratively across teams. Everything updates in real time making the software very robust for collaboration. It's very easy to get started on and there's no need to visit the FAQ's or tutorials.

Cons

I can't find any features that I didn't particularly like about the software other than potentially price/cost.

Wojciech B.

Robust UI design application

Reviewed on 9/9/2020

Pros

Personally the best feature by far is the ability to have presets of each respective device we intend the user to be accessing the application from e.g. an iphone canvas will show us the space an iphone user will have available. This not only saves a lot of time figuring out the pixel size of each device, it also lets us have a side by side comparison how we would anticipate the design to change as the size of the device changes.

Cons

The feature I feel lacks quite a bit of polish is the resizing and moving of objects, whether it would be a shape and image or icon, the resizing and moving both feel quite clunky and lack granularity with respect to how far the object snaps into place after being moved/resized

Maciej K.
  • Industry: Design

A new industry standard is emerging

Reviewed on 28/1/2019

Pros

Figma is a one-stop shop for all your design, prototyping and handoff needs. It works in a web browser and it's incredibly smooth, even when working on large files. The biggest thing for me is there is no need to export anything (thus creating duplicates of your work that are difficult to maintain.) There is one single source of truth and it's super easy to tinker with your design and seeing it updating live in the prototype mode. It's amazing how efficient your workflow becomes when you don't have to switch between tools. It's important to mention that every single Figma feature is well thought through and works in a way it's supposed to.

Cons

There is no real offline mode, but you can work on your files without access to the Internet. Copy and paste behavior is not great, but I'm pretty sure it's on the team's radar. There is no inVision integration, so you either use Figma's prototyping (which is great and better than inVision's), or you have to export every single screen manually.

Quinn B.
  • Industry: Photography

I never thought I'd be be able to prototype an app until Figma came along

Reviewed on 11/4/2019

I am blown away by how powerful and intuitive Figma is to use. There are a ton of tutorial videos that covered anything I was not sure about and within a week I had a working prototype of an app ready to share with others for feedback. It's helped me get validation and set me on the right track to the next steps of the app development instead of wasting time and money with a designer before I actually needed one.

Pros

I'm not an experienced iOS designer, so the the master component feature is one of my favorite parts of Figma. It saved me so much time to make a change to any master component (e.x. changing a button color or a heading font) and have it apply those changes all across the app. It's simple, but way better than any duct-taped was way I was doing it before Figma.

Cons

One of the only downsides to me is that the prototype mapping view (AKA the view showing how buttons/components connect to other screens) looks like a plate of spaghetti. I feel like Figma can do better at intelligently and dynamically showing where the mappings are without completely covering up the screens/frames on the page.

Raul G.

Easy to work with

Reviewed on 26/2/2021

Overall i could say that i really like it over other options, easy to use, multiplatform and well known all over the design community.

Pros

You can share it with clients, work with colleagues and do really quick or more in detail sketches and designs.

Cons

The web app does not work as fluid as the desktop one, when on the go and not near your laptop or workspace it can be a bit annoying.

Giona F.

Works really well

Reviewed on 26/8/2019

Pros

The fact that is browser-based is so useful, you can use it over different computers and it's really really smooth!

Cons

Copy-Paste function just pastes the things randomly in the artboard, it's really annoying. The icons in the layers panel are too small and thin, it's difficult to differentiate each element type at the beginning. I would like some sort of "magic wand" with the photos edit. The shadow controls should be always displayed, in order to be able to compare different layers' effects without clicking each effect's settings. I would like to have the possibility to see the font examples when selecting one. When using an element as mask, I would like that element to mantain its proprieties (colour, shadow, borders etc) instead of just creating one invisible mask object that has to be resized and moved each time I want to modify the surface of the mask.

Silviu O.

Great alternative for Sketch

Reviewed on 29/12/2019

Figma is doing a great job of becoming a better alternative for Sketch. The two are similar and can be combined: you can import Sketch projects into Figma. Figma is trying to fix the small things Sketch has failed at, like handling vectors. So far each one has its own advantages.

Pros

Figma has been designed to compete in collaboration with Sketch. Since it is web-based, sharing and collaboration are easier than Sketch. Also, it is not constrained by any operating system.
Figma pays attention to lots of details. Sharing properties between designers and developers is easier than in Sketch. Creating vectors is easier than in Sketch. Copying and pasting just a set of properties of a certain element is really handy.

Cons

Plugins-wise Figma is still behind Sketch. Secondly, high fidelity prototypes are an overhead. It is close to impossible to implement states in the prototype and one should use another product to do it. Being web-based has it minus: it requires access on the internet to have everything work perfectly.

Rita R.

Figma is the best friend of every designer

Reviewed on 29/8/2020

Figma was the perfect tool for my daily life and that of my team, we were able to greatly simplify our work routine and our workflow, so it is so worth it.

Pros

Today figma is the best tool for working on digital products. It allows real-time collaboration, entirely in the cloud, runs on the web, allows high component scalability.

Cons

Today the only weak point is that the functionalities of monitoring of design systems statistics are only available for enterprise plans.

Justine S.
  • Industry: Design

Easy to learn and the best software for team projects!

Reviewed on 4/2/2021

I've had a great experience with Figma. It was easy to learn, for even people on our team that do not have experience with any design software. I love the real-time collaboration abilities.

Pros

The team collaboration aspects of the software are far superior to any other prototyping software I've used. Our entire team can work on one project together in real time. The web app is also very nice, for people who don't want to download the desktop app. I am an experienced designer, but found the learning curve extremely manageable and was able to pick up and get started on our project almost immediately.

Cons

The biggest thing I struggle with is organizing elements. Once you get a few screens built, the elements get a bit jumbled. I've tried organizing and grouping elements and that also gets a bit confusing.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Intuitive and fast prototyping tool with some room to grow

Reviewed on 8/9/2018

The collaborative editing features are a step in the right direction, viewing the design file as a living breathing source of truth is great too. I just wish that the prototypes were slightly more advanced.

Pros

I like how easily I could import my sketch files into Figma, it made the transition to using it super simple. I also love the ability for other team members to update copy right inside the source files, this really helps tighten the loop between our copywriters and product designers. The Jira integration (ability to link a prototype share link to an issue) is super cool, I love the real-time updating.

Cons

There aren't a huge amount of differentiating features on the prototyping side in my opinion. I like some of the concepts and the interactions possible, but like most tools these days it seems to be geared towards mobile-first design, which whilst there is nothing wrong with that, we still have web experiences to design. I would like to see better handling of scroll boxes and other complex interactions in future - I wasn't able to figure out how to get interactions like that occuring.

Byron O.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

A great prototyping tool for Collaboration

Reviewed on 8/2/2021

With Figma, collaboration and getting feedback on projects is simplified. I can work on the same project with other designers without having to be in the same place while still maintaining the quality of work.

Pros

Figma has a real-time collaboration feature that allows other people to inspect & give feedback on the project am working on. It has a very simple UI making it easy to find the tools you need fast.

Cons

Figma doesn't have a lot of learning resources at the moment compared to other prototyping software in the market.
The speed and loading time for larger files needs to be improved.

• Used Other for 2+ years

So Much Fun to Use!

Reviewed on 15/8/2020

Really pleased with Figma! It is nice that you can share files without someone having to have a paid account. Look forward to seeing how they continue to evolve.

Pros

The ease of collaboration is fantastic in this tool. The way you can leave notes/tag someone on specific, small design details is great - they will know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Add on that it is easy and fun to use and you've got yourself a winner.

Cons

While I understand the ability to have a never ending scroll can be appealing it can also be easy to lose your place if you accidentally zoom out/in too far (anyone else do that, just me?).

Ivan S.

My favorite sketching tool

Reviewed on 11/6/2019

Pros

I love how easy Figma makes it to throw together some low-fidelity functional app prototypes for rapid experimentation. It gets even better when you don't have to install it on your computer and just use a web app from any device that you have handy.

Cons

One of the drawbacks of the web app (unlike desktop version of coarse), is that it sometimes crashes.

Peter C.

Cool but a little tough to navigate

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Overall it has worked great for us to see and provide feedback on designed and send off to our developers to create. Our designer likes it and we recently got a nice integration with another solution we use called Clubhouse which allows us to see the designs right in their respective tickets for the features.

Pros

Our designer uses Figma so that is how he presents the mock-ups we ask him to prepare for us back to us. It works well for that and I know our engineers like the process for being able to convert this mock-ups to actual code. The mobile mirror is really cool for seeing how things will look on a phone.

Cons

Navigating through the solution can be a little clunky and slow. I know most designers and engineers using this solution tend to be on Macs and it does seem to work a little better there but on my PC it can sometimes be a little choppy and slow to move around in.

Dan H.

The best.

Reviewed on 23/2/2021

We use Figma for almost everything. Being a design company, it's great.

Pros

Figma works great for branding, UX/UI design, and basic illustration. We use it for label printing and it just works.

Cons

Plugins aren't always working and it needs a dark mode to make it usable in my workflow at night properly.

• Industry: Architecture & Planning

Great cloud-based software

Reviewed on 2/4/2021

The general experience with Figma is very good, the possibility of editing projects remotely is very good, it speeds up the working hours all this because it is based on the cloud, while it is good, sometimes it is bad due to the dependence on the internet, but other than that it is great software that has won many users in the job market.

Pros

The main positive point of Figma is the possibility and use of the group program at the same time as a team, as the advantages that this brings to teamwork are enormous, hours of work are streamlined with this with this software that even with a lot of people editing it almost doesn't crash.
Because it is cloud-based, you can open files on different computers without having to download or copy the file manually. Plug-ins are a good point, I can cite Unsplash as one of my favorites.

Cons

The negative sides of the dignified are few, as it is based on the cloud, the software depends too much on the internet, moreover the software needs a more robust computer with better memory and on more "backward" computers it ends up crashing a little, not only the computer sometimes helps to crash but caches also sometimes help to give a small crash.