TunnelBear

Virtual Private Network Service Solution

4.5 /5 (361 reviews) Write a Review!
4.5
4.3
4.4
4.7
4.5
Kush M.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

A decent VPN service with quite a few locations

Reviewed on 2/4/2020

It's a good VPN, I recommend using it for just some private browsing.

Pros

The UI is nice, the connection is stable with multiple options. It has a kill switch which is very important for VPN services.

Cons

It comes with a cost which makes it hard to use for freelancing when you are a student.

Krutik R.

Review for Tunnel Bear

Reviewed on 9/7/2020

I have been using Tunnel bear VPN service to browse securely over internet

Pros

A Great Virtual Private Network all over the world
Fast speed connectivity and hide the original ISP of the user

Cons

Less number of the VPN server in most of the countries
Need more server
some bugs in user interface

Caleb J.

TunnelBear - Surf Fearlessly

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

I have loved the experience ever since I started using the service and don't think I will switch to anyother VPN service provider.

Pros

TunnelBear is a VPN service which encrypts your internet connection in order to keep your daily online activities private and super secure while you browse the web doing what you do best, without the worries of hackers and the government spying on your data. TunnelBear is available across all Mac, Windows, IOS and Android devices so you feel secure no matter your location or your device.

TunnelBear does not log any user activity as mentioned in the privacy policy so you can feel free to surf as intended without being spied on also by your VPN service provider.
TunnelBear also offers a free service which is limited to 500MB/Month so you can take it for a test drive before upgrading to the premium service.

Some of TunnelBear advance features are:

Global content - which allows you to view contents that is not allowed in your region
Online Privacy - TunnelBear blocks the government and your local ISP from viewing any of your internet traffic.
IP tracking - this feature blocks ad services from tracking your behavior which is used to target you for web-based advertisement.

Cons

TunnelBear uses 256-bit AES encryption which is strong enough but a bit weaker than other VPN services on the market.

Karl D.
Industry: Financial Services
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Protection of the privacy of information in a secure and stable manner.

Reviewed on 19/5/2019

It is a tool that has guaranteed the privacy of the information of the members of the company where it has been implemented, its service is fast, easy to use and guarantees a good technical support and quality service.

Pros

This product offers a good stability in VPN connection, offers a connection in a stable and secure way allowing the user to enjoy a fast navigation offering the privacy of the information, especially when it comes to information of the financial type or themes of the company. Confidentiality, accessing the TunnelBear Services is simple and the forms of payment are varied, the installation of the software can be applied from the desktop or through the web browser.

Cons

Once I had to install the software in Windows 8.1 and it did not work, the software was installed, it also happened several times that it was frozen when making a connection and not connects which I had to restart and it works again.

Enxhi H.
Industry: Design

Really fun to switch browsing from a country to another country

Reviewed on 3/9/2019

Whenever I need to visit a website that is not available from the country I am surfing at that moment, I open TunnelBear, switch to another country and in a matter of seconds and graceful animations I am already seeing the website that didn't worked previously.

Pros

The product works really well, and works all time. I can switch browsing from one country to another within a few seconds and it always worked for me. I never had a downtime or anything like it. I really loved the animation of the bear going in the tunnel from one country to another and it really did that amazing job. I also liked they sometimes makes offer to get some free MBs to surf.

Cons

Maybe the price for personal use is not affordable to everyone that I know, but overall sometimes there are offers to get some free MBs or GBs even!

Jordan M.
Industry: Photography

Security is important!

Reviewed on 22/4/2019

I run a Photography Studio and keeping photos of clients safe and secure is vital. Online delivery of images is 100% of the time how we do things and keeping that information secure for only the client is a must. TunnelBear helps keep it that way. I can actually keep true to the Privacy Policy I have with clients!

Pros

TunnelBear is invisible! You might think that is a Con, but you would be wrong. Setup was quick and easy. I don't need to maintain it or anything, just let it do its work.

Cons

Pricey, I wish services like this would be cheaper. It's another monthly subscription alongside the other 10+ subscriptions you have.

Pam B.

User Friendly

Reviewed on 2/4/2020

Great overall experience but I cannot continue using for privacy concerns.

Pros

I admit I like the cute bear and fun graphics of him digging a hole. I like that the VPN connection was easy to setup and did not slow down my speed.

Cons

I would have upgraded to the pay version if you did not keep logs on my web surfing. However, that is not the case so I found another product that does not log.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

TunnelBear - Safe browsing, easy install, no hassle

Reviewed on 16/4/2019

Pros

Just as the title says, this product was easy to install and implement on my network. It provides exactly what it claims to and doesn't have much frill to set up. Additionally, there is a freeware client available for those that just want to give it a try and see what they're missing. The paid version is much better in my opinion as it offers unlimited data streams rather than the 500 mb in the free version.

Cons

I do not like that this product doesnt offer wiregaurd and does not support Obfsproxy. Those are my only two qualms, but for what I'm paying, I can't really hate too much on this product. It's an incredible bargain.

Ben B.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

VPNs made easy

Reviewed on 29/7/2019

TunnelBear makes VPNs easy, fun to use, and is relatively affordable.

Pros

TunnelBear is about the easiest VPN solution I've ever used. The user cartoon interface, makes connecting to secure locations and regions simple for any user. Tunnel Bear adds a necessary and reassuring level of security that you just can't get without a VPN, and it does this in a fun, slightly comical, and seamless way. This visual style can also encourage team members (or family members) more likely to use the VPN, which can increase org security.

TunnelBear's mobile app also makes it super easy to get a VPN running on your mobile device, which is something that I struggled with in the past. Compared to custom VPN solutions (like setting up your own server), TunnelBear is a dream.

Cons

If you're on the free plan, the monthly data allowance is miniscule. That said, if you do any significant amount of traveling, it's well worth the cost.

Industry: Printing

Simplified VPN

Reviewed on 7/3/2019

Pros

TunnelBear is very easy to set up. There is a free option that I started with and then moved up to the paid version. Setting TunnelBear up is very simple as it is a browser extension.

Cons

TunnelBear is based in Canada but owned by McAfee. This is not a major turn off but with any VPN it makes you wonder how safe it is. The answer to that is based on how safe your search history is.

Josué L.
Industry: Human Resources

A bear is watching my back

Reviewed on 24/7/2019

Amazing, it's fun and works beautifully on any device.

Pros

It's fun and easy to use, keeps my browsing private on any device. It helps me to be safe on unknown/unreliable/suspicious networks and it just works, even with a free plan!

Cons

It's a little pricy if you're not used to using a VPN service, however, it makes up for it with amazing customer service... and a lot of bear puns.

Industry: Writing & Editing
Company size: Self Employed

TunnelBear keeps home closeby.

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

Connectivity to US based institutions while traveling the world was my number one goal and TunnelBear succeeded every time with spectacular colors.

Pros

I use both a windows machine and a macbook, and TunnelBear works smoothly on them. I often use services that are available in the US only and travel at the same time. TunnelBear makes it easy for me to keep using those services while overseas. Especially banks and other financial institutions that require US based connections.

Cons

It is very expensive to use on a non-trial use basis. Although you get extra data when you post on social media, I feel like with the plethora of affordable VPN options available TunnelBear is not priced competitively.

Industry: Computer Software

Easy VPN access for a small campaign

Reviewed on 23/10/2019

For a free access TunnelBear is a great tool, easily available, just download the extension and you are good to go.

Pros

It does what it says. TunnelBear does really provide IPs of anywhere you want. I wanted Ips from multiple places and it provided from US, UK, Australia, China and many more places.

Cons

The functionality isn't very user-friendly. Once you select an IP, you can not just jump to the next one easily, you have to refresh the page every time and wait, which breaks the momentum of the work.

Rigger T.
Industry: Graphic Design

take care of your privacy in a tunnel and with a bear

Reviewed on 17/9/2019

Despite its limitations, it covers the minimum expectations that a VPN is needed to take care of our privacy.

Pros

The VPN uses the strongest standard OpenVPN protocol on the market, as well as 256-bit AES encryption, which makes it one of the safest.

You do not need to register, it has free plans.

Cons

Although it is good to have a free version, it is limited to a bandwidth of 500 MB / month, it also lacks more geographical diversity.

Anthony B.
Industry: Financial Services

Good free VPN

Reviewed on 12/2/2020

Overally, I think it is a great intro into the world of VPNs. It is simple and very easy to use, making it a great option for a free VPN.

Pros

What I liked the most about this software was the ease of use. It is extremely simple and user friendly, making it a great VPN for first time users (of VPNs).

Cons

What I did not like was that it was not the most effective VPN. When I was in the Netherlands, I tried to use TunnelBear to watch the NCAA Tournament because you have to be in the US, but cbs.com was easily able to pick up that I was traveling abroad and not in the US and restricted my access to watch the tournament.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Easy and fast VPN

Reviewed on 6/11/2018

It's a great, fast and secure vpn with a very simple set up.

Pros

- Very easy to set up: You can use the Google Chrome extension, Windows, Mac, Android or iOS apps. Also, it provides very simple steps to set it up on some Linux distros.
- Gives a monthly free quota.
- Prices are more than reasonable.
- Many different locations to connect to.

Cons

- No Linux client (even though, the steps for setting it on ubuntu are very simple). Not much wrong other than that, it does what it does, clean and fast.

Justin M.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

TunnelBear is a great VPN especially for Apple users.

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

I run TunnelBear on my Macs and iPhone, mostly for watching Netflix and similar while I'm overseas (I travel constantly). It's also useful for checking my company's Amazon listings around the world, as I can set my location to be local and see exactly what our prospective customers are seeing.

Pros

Relatively inexpensive, easy to use, nice UI, and apps for MacOS, iOS and more. TunnelBear is a great tool.

Cons

Occasionally the software will lose connection during a VPN session but it lets you know when this happens, and usually reconnects in seconds. I suppose this would be a concern if you were doing nefarious things while using your VPN, but it's not a concern for me.

Skyler B.
Industry: Design

TunnelBear Is A Great VPN

Reviewed on 18/4/2019

I use TunnelBear to handle sensitive information online from home at public WiFi hotspots.

Pros

TunelBear is a great, easy to use VPN that anyone could pick up and start using. The interface looks great, the functionality is all there, I have zero complaints with TunnelBear.

Cons

TunnelBear is priced a little higher than the alternatives. They also offer frequent discounts and sales that I have never seen with TunnelBear.

Ahmed A.

Surfing the internet like a bear is now real

Reviewed on 24/3/2018

Pros

the easiest way to use vpn in few clicks without ads or any other distracting thing through the app or the extension

Cons

the free plan is limited to 500 mb /month so i think they should maximize it for students at least and in Egypt it's no longer working unfortunately

Ahsan K.
Industry: Computer Games

TunnelBear review

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 31/7/2019

In our software hours we use tunnel bear to access different restricted websites which are banned in our country. We use social media as our promotion medium some social media is banned so we use this VPN and we can promote our products. It is very easy to use. The user interface is very friendly. It has both desktop as well as mobile version. They provide many servers to get connected

Pros

Tunnel bear is very easy to use we just have to have an account and ready to use. As In some countries we can't be able to assess social networks so I use tuunel bear to bypass and access the restricted sites. One of the best thing tunnelbear has a extension for the chorome. We can change our location using this VPN.

Cons

I have face only 2 problems if we connect Asian server it will take alot of time to Connect and the the speed of the Asian servers are very low. Some time it gets crashed while using on mobile.

Kaleb-john L.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Simple On The Go VPN

Reviewed on 9/3/2020

TunnelBear is simple to use and is always available and has been worked as expected. It is one of the safest VPN providers and is very reliable.

Pros

TunnelBear makes it easy to configure VPN settings through their simple and user friendly interface that is available on desktop and mobile. The ability to use 5 connected devices to safely browse the internet it a good value and is essential when using mobile devices on the go.

Cons

TunnelBear is slower than most VPN providers which is a large downside. It is most useful for mobile devices. However, while it is easy to configure, there is not an option to run your router through the TunnelBear VPN automatically, which is another downside.

Nicholas L.
Industry: Education Management

A cute VPN

Reviewed on 20/12/2019

As far as free VPNs go, it is pretty good and the cute graphics make a download worth it.

Pros

It's free up to a certain limit and the graphics are great. It allows you to connect to various different countries.

Cons

They don't give you so much free data per month as other free VPNs do. It also may not be suitable for what you need a VPN for as some websites can detect you are using it.

Kamal H.
Industry: Computer Software

Free VPN to use for work

Reviewed on 12/5/2020

It will take care of your anonymity 100%. It doesn't leak your primary IP address.

Pros

The software is light in weight hence it does not occupy much space. It has a wide range of servers in many countries and it's very fast. The encryption is uncrackable.

Cons

Though I use the free version, I can only say 500 MB of browsing date is relatively small. I hope it can be increased.

Juan pablo A.
Industry: Consumer Electronics

GREAT VPN FOR CUMULATIVES AND CELLULARS

Reviewed on 6/12/2018

Pros

It is a reactivated public service that allows us to browse securely is considered one of the best VPN services that exists in the market. We can really use it from anywhere in the world and without exposing our personal information.

Cons

What I do not like about tunnelbear is speed Because while it is in constant use it decreases sometimes I would like to know where I am connected since it does not keep record of where one connects

Andrea S.
Industry: Consumer Electronics

INCREDIBLE VPN

Reviewed on 5/12/2018

Pros

A simple to use VPN, simple user interface I like the theme of the bear when you connect with a server
you browse securely and anonymously protecting your data, you can use a PC and mobile simply I like it

Cons

I would say that its weak point is its 500megas that limits its free version, but everything good has its price you can always expand your megabytes by buying a subscription, even so, I recommend this vpn