GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

4.4 (3,297)
Open-source and on-premise image manipulation software

(3,297)

Mohammad
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

An Exceptionally Well-made Software

Reviewed on 4/2/2022

In terms of what the software has to offer, GIMP prevails in many areas against some of the competition given its plethora of features & ease of use. While there were just a few shortcomings I noticed in the software, they never hindered my overall experience when accomplishing my work.

Pros

Given my last year or so of using GIMP, this is hands down my most preferable image-editing software. For the beginner or novice user such as myself, this program covers all the essentials such as brushes & patterns, selection tools, & edit photos in various formats - free of charge. As a structural engineer, I'd often find myself refining my on-site captured photos via removing residual objects or persons & occasionally adjusting the image contrast before sending them to the client. In my line of work, GIMP is a necessary tool to have.

Cons

One of my main gripes against GIMP is that it's impossible to select multiple layers which can sometimes be cumbersome. Furthermore, I've had a few crashes on some instances when importing high-res, 5K photos.

Francisco
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

A great, for free, app to help you drawing and managing photos

Reviewed on 23/6/2022

My experience using this app is very good.

Pros

It is relatevely easy to use, although, sometimes you need some help to find some features. In general, it is a good tool if you want to draw, and, for sure, if you are trying to improve or change photos.

Cons

It, sometimes, need to be a bit more clear about how to do use some the many tools it has in it.

Kateřina
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

GIMP Review

Reviewed on 12/3/2023

Pros

The main advantage of the software is that it is open-source and completely free to use. It has a wide range of features, although you need to invest some time to learning with the software.

Cons

The GIMP interface is quite complex and sometimes confusing, but I learnt to use the software on my own although I didn't have any previous experience. As an iPhone owner I see the disadvantage that GIMP doesn't support HEIC files and you need to install special plugin.

Nice Photoshop alternative for basic image editing tasks

Reviewed on 6/7/2022

As a digital marketer, I’m using GIMP as an alternative to Photoshop to cover my daily Social Media purposes.
Although it is a nice Photoshop alternative that copies almost all of its tools, it is obvious that the user interface has a way weaker design, but for an open-source free software, it offers a decent solution.
GIMP is suitable for daily micro-tasks such as resizing, blurring, cropping, layers management, rotating, scaling, and background erasing.
More complex tasks such as object selection, cloning, shrinking/growing area, etc. may need more effort.
Judging by my overall experience these are the (+) and (-).
Pros
- Easy installation
- Open-source/free software
- Includes almost all the essential Photoshop tools
Cons
- Outdated UI
- Some tools (shrink, selection) are way more complex and time-consuming
- Sometimes the exported result is not of the requested quality(maybe that depends on the user’s skills level)
- Absence of Shapes tool which is helpful in Photoshop
My comments are about version GIMP 2.10.32.
Concluding, I would totally recommend GIMP as a Photoshop alternative for simple daily image editing tasks, but I’m not sure if that’s the right tool for professionals.

Pros

- Easy installation
- Open-source/free software
- Includes almost all the essential Photoshop tools

Cons

- Outdated UI
- Some tools (shrink, selection) are way more complex and time-consuming
- Absence of Shapes tool which is helpful in Photoshop

Nwodo
  • Industry: Entertainment

GIMP a free editing tool great for pro photo editing.

Reviewed on 11/1/2023

It was fun having a free editing software with many potentials that have save me the cost of using paid versions.

Pros

I like the fact that it's and still offers great value compared to paid photo editing software.

Cons

The color correction tool still needs to be updated.

Kevin

Capable program with difficult UI

Reviewed on 14/3/2020

If you can outlast the steep learning curve, it can save you a lot of money, not having to "subscribe" to competing commercial alternatives. While it can be aggravating getting up to speed, in the end it is worth the effort. It might be worth looking into the available "photshop" skin to help with the transition.

Pros

The Gimp has most features you would expect from an Illustrator and/or Photoshop replacement, including support for plugins. It's a very capable replacement. We also appreciate that it's free and open source, with a good community there to help with the inevitable issues you'll face during the learning curve.

Cons

There is a VERY steep learning curve. The UI, iconography, tool locations, methods, etc. are all different from what you are likely used to in commercial products. It feels like a graphics app designed by developers without the input of regular graphics apps users.

Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Cost per seat was the biggest factor in our decision.

Adobe Illustrator

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

We rely heavily on FOSS software at our office so we're used to dealing with the shortcomings, VS the TCO.
Priscila

Excellent photo handler

Reviewed on 16/6/2022

Use from simple photo changes to transformations to do laser engraving work.

Pros

Large number of tools and community that helps with tutorials.

Cons

One disadvantage is that I find the program heavy, but nothing out of the ordinary for this type of software.

Sinisa
  • Industry: Chemicals

User of GIMP

Reviewed on 5/3/2023

I consider GIMP to be a high-quality image editing software that provides many useful functions and tools. As someone who prefers to use free software, I appreciate that GIMP is available as an open-source option.

Pros

As a GIMP user, I have a generally positive impression of the software. I find it to be a versatile and powerful tool for image editing, offering a wide range of features for tasks like color correction, retouching, and text manipulation. I appreciate that GIMP is available as a free software, which makes it accessible to a wide range of users.

Cons

I do find that GIMP can be challenging to use for beginners, especially compared to other image editing software. There can also be occasional issues with functionality and stability, although I have not personally experienced many of these problems. Additionally, the graphical user interface could be more modern and intuitive, as it can feel a bit outdated compared to other image editing software.

Pooja

GIMP makes image manipulation easy

Reviewed on 6/3/2023

We have used this software for a very long time for technical image processing and completing client demands. Image editing is primarily easy and does not require much experience

Pros

GIMP is really great for Creating Media, Productivity, Media Literacy and many more. It really helps for creating and editing images while maintaining quality of the files. It has support for multiple platforms including windows and IOS and customisation features are high for free of cost.

Cons

When compared with the latest photo customisation software’s this program lacks behind in terms of technical support development, customer query management and latest updates.

Adamu

GIMP product reviews

Reviewed on 5/3/2023

Pros

Everything work well I really like using this software to do image manipulation

Cons

Just that the software is a little hard to use if you don't have experience using tool like that

Daniel
  • Industry: Animation

GIMP is Amazing and i wouldn't sleep on it

Reviewed on 13/7/2022

Really helps when needed to alter an image such as removing a background colour or image or even creating an image from a photo and excluding or including other details onto the image.
Great for editing images.
Great for colouring comics as i do a lot of comics and illustration work, came in handy to give more clear colours especially with the quick selection tools.

Pros

- Being able to export to multiple formats.
- The editing tools and effects that could be applied to images to adjust the colours, brightness, contrast and saturation.
- The Features are great for making a digital painting or adding colours to comics, especially the tools that help the work proceed faster like magic wand select tool, colour selection, increasing the sharpness of an image or adding a other effects on the image.

Cons

- Has a bit of a learning curve and if you don't take some time to learn the software you may find yourself getting frustrated considering it has some differences from other similar software.

John

Top quality free Adobe Photoshop substitute

Reviewed on 30/10/2019

It's fairly easy to use if you've used and are familiar with Photoshop and the like. We use it for all of our image and graphic manipulation. It's fast, easy and free. For our needs I could never justify paying several hundreds of dollars for Photoshop (industry leader or not).

Pros

Gimp can do almost everything that Photoshop can do for free. I'm not much of a power user but it's amazing what it can do. I often look for features to use just because I can and because the visual effects can be so interesting. It has really evolved over the years with features and improvements in ease of use. With the last update to v2 it runs much faster on Windows 10 and is more efficient with computer resources than it ever used to be.

Cons

Being an open source application means that bug fixes and updates come slower than they would from a for-profit company (like Adobe). But since it's free, who really cares? For a small business like ours it's perfect and it does everything we need to (and more).

Asanka

Image editing doesn't have to be expensive - but it comes with few caveats.

Reviewed on 7/7/2022

Kind of steep learning curve and takes getting used to - specially if you are already used to some commercial solutions. But, once the initial learning is done it can be intuitive on it's own way. It's also feature rich and supports plug-ins, which can be used to extend it's functionality.

Pros

It's free and open source. It's also very regularly updated, and is as feature rich as some very expensive counterparts.

Cons

Support - you'd have to depend on some community resources as well as wait for issues to be fixed by community (you can always take the code and make the fixes yourself - but very few people actually can do that kind of work)

Sébastien

The Best Free Alternative of the past Decade to Any Commercial Image Editing Software

Reviewed on 16/4/2019

The fact that GIMP is freely available on all major operating systems ensures that you can work seamlessly from any computer in the native format provided (XCF) or any other supported format. I have used GIMP many times to edit PDF files, either to add annotations or to conceal confidential information, which is easy to accomplish with a filter such as "Pixelize". For certain programming tasks, it came handy to create paths with the Bezier tool, exporting the information to the SVG format, which can be read with a programming text editor in a breeze. I have also benefited from its great stability, once creating more than a hundred layers on a single image. Since it can handle as many layer groups and layer masks as you wish, it is possible to iterate over one idea over and over again, discarding only specific modifications. There is also a useful "Undo history" tab that takes a visual snapshot of the state of the image at each particular point in time and gives a meaningful name to each step, facilitating the retrieval of a desired state.

Pros

GIMP really has it all: apart from being open source (free) to start with, it supports a plethora of image formats, including animated GIF, PDF, PS, RAW, TIFF and even text (TXT). It features a single-window mode, which is convenient when working with only one monitor, while the multi-window mode is incredibly useful to divide any work being done on two different monitors. It offers many filters and third-party extensions to ease some more tedious aspects of image manipulation. If you are into programming, then you can even take advantage of the exposed libraries, which allow you to programmatically modify images with any tool available in GIMP using Python or Scheme as programming languages. It is also customizable to the core: you can add and remove menus and icons on the fly; you can define the exact resource consumption of the application by specifying details for memory usage and even the number of CPU threads to use; you can have completely distinct configurations for normal mode and full-screen mode; you can create brushes or import from existing creations available online, the same being true with textures; you can configure and add keyboard shortcuts for almost any action you may require to perform and configure many settings to correspond to the default behavior you want in most situations.

Cons

GIMP wasn't made to work with Photoshop images (PSD). It does support them, but the experience isn't as good as with Photoshop. Some types of filters apply many different steps and can't easily be undone, which is sometimes frustrating. Unless you are an expert, the Script-Fu Console is not intuitive at all for newcomers and makes it hard to guess what you can actually do. Some filters and effects won't have a complete description immediately available explaining how the image is expected to be modified. This can be inconvenient when trying out new things, as a few filters take a long time to run and may cause the system to hang for a while depending on how the system allocates priority to the application. On the same subject of filters, it is also hard to guess how long a specific effect may take to render as many filters apply a number of steps in a row, resetting the progress bar at each step. Some filters may also have corner cases to consider, for instance when working on a very large image resolution: when rendering a pattern, it can show signs of incongruence if the image isn't scaled down a bit first.

Robert
  • Industry: Online Media

GIMP Rocks My World Everyday, and It Will Do the Same For You, Too!

Reviewed on 14/2/2022

I click on the GIMP icon on my laptop taskbar everyday, and that takes about ten seconds for GIMP to be ready to go. I can pop an image in with one Control V, and I am ready to go. Or I can bring up a project with one click. It is super easy to use. And there is some serious functional power under the hood of GIMP. Yes, there is a learning curve, like I've mentioned, but it just is not that big a deal, at least for me...and I am not some super brain, either. Okay, so I give GIMP my Two Thumbs Up Award for what I do. I use it a lot, and if you haven't been using GIMP, load it up and start using it.

Pros

What I like about this software is I can use it on my own laptop and it doesn't require a huge amount of storage space and it is freeware, and I love all the stuff I can do. I keep finding out things I can do that make me one happy image creator.
I work a lot with images and so one thing for sure is how I can quickly and efficiently remove backgrounds or grab part of the image that I want to use. GIMP gives me at least five different ways I can do this. I can go on and on about what I can do with GIMP when it comes to taking an image and layering other images, and coming up with some fairly decent and unique designs.

Cons

Hmmm. Well, the there is a learning curve. And, yeah, I'd love it if I could just wave my magic pen and, hey, presto! --- the job was done exactly the way I want. But part of the process of creating images is inside the process of using the tools, and finding new and super cool ways to do something. What I mean is that by getting deep into GIMP and messing about, I have stumbled on some results that have made me some original images that help me get eyes on the prize...you know, converts visitors into return visitors, and into customers.

• Industry: Graphic Design

Lots of capability for no money at all

Reviewed on 29/4/2019

For business applications, it's hard to recommend GIMP for any serious work. While capable, investing in more user-friendly and functional software would be better overall.

Pros

GIMP is an image manipulation program in the same vein as Adobe Photoshop, with many of the same features and tools to allow you to get very similar results to its more professional counterparts.

There are many benefits to being free open source software. On top of serving GIMP for free, the code freely available for viewing and modification. Having many decentralized developers means that many improvements such as features and bug-fixes happen quickly. So long as there are people passionate about the project, development will continue.

Also, documentation and tutorials are plentiful for GIMP, as the community for this program is very passionate. Simple searches will yield basic start-up tutorials as well as advanced tutorials for more complicated tasks.

GIMP development stagnated for a few years, but with more recent development GIMP has made strides to become more modernized and easy to use. In earlier days of GIMP, it wasn't even possible to draw a circle without a significant number of steps, but this and much more has been added to the program!

Cons

GIMP is not as intuitive as competitors like Photoshop, requiring scripting and additional steps to accomplish certain functions.

If you plan to become a designer or graphics artist and need to do image manipulation professionally, then GIMP will hinder your abilities to do so. Software parity is important in the professional world, and while GIMP can handle .PSD files it would be better to just use the first party application that the rest of the industry is using.

GIMP gains a lot of leeway for being free, since there is no development being backed by a major company. The UI is comparatively clunky and features less accessible compared to paid alternatives. Do not think that you'll be getting the same results as easily in GIMP as you would in other programs.

• Industry: Design

Free Photo-shop Alternative

Reviewed on 7/2/2019

In conclusion, when using Gimp you will learn how to create fantastic site graphics and compelling WEB to graphics. Gimp educational online videos are the best way to learn how to use Gimp.

Pros

GIMP is also known as the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a great photo editing program that is stress-free to use. It has a lot of things to do with unlimited options on what to do for a picture to make it look cool. The wonderful thing is, it's free!
Advantages, As you can expect, GNU Image Manipulation is used to edit images. This program makes photo editing very enjoyable and easy. Sure, there are essential things you should learn before you become an expert, but when you learn these first tips for beginners, you start with the start of stunning photo editing plans. Unlike photo editing, the GNU image manipulation program can also create small videos and animations. Despite the difficulty of creating these images, they are still fascinating and really fun. GNU Image Manipulation is one of the best images editing software available. All you have to do is go to the GIMP site and download it for free. Gimp is always available and updates are often shown with fun things to do and discover them in the program. Another great thing about GNU Image Manipulation is that you can add new things to the program. Unlike waiting for an updated date, you can go ahead and download some plug-ins from their site right away! Also, you can add different fonts and different brushes to the program to make your photo stand out.

Cons

GIMP has limited 8-bit depth, making it an unexpected choice for professional use in the first place. Gimp has disadvantages when compared to Photoshop in trivial issues the fact that it lacks the advantage of color management and does not provide control layers.

Abhishek
  • Industry: Computer Games

Best alternative for photoshop

Reviewed on 21/9/2020

It is perfect for me. Photoshop is very costly for me. Usually for my game development I use inkscape but for altering the output image , now I use gimp and experience is fine enough. I will surely recommend it to others

Pros

The best part which I love about it is that it is open source software. It gives a very good satisfaction and gives a way for other also to improve it.
The other best part which I love about it is its price(FREE) . This removes the barrier for many newbies.
Other than that the features which I really appreciate about it is frequent update cycles,huge community and options of adding plugins and scripts ( many users donate it for free for other users)

Cons

1.) UI in my opinion is quite old fashioned.
2.) It takes more clicks to achieve the same goal as compared to other rivals like Photoshop
3.) It's compatibility with other software is not so smooth ( this experience may differ from user to user)
4.) It had been quite a time since it was released but still it has failed to make an impact on commercial space ( take the example of blender:- it has acquired attention of many big players in the market)
5.) Performance ( bigger files):- I have noticed that photoshop is much more better in managing bigger project as compared to gimp (not a huge difference but still)

Sayed

The tool has been proven to be a very powerful tool in photo editing and drawing

Reviewed on 25/10/2018

Pros

GIMP This program is the oldest and most famous program for processing graphics and images is available on the systems of UNIX and GNU / Linux. It has been proven very quickly, very powerful program in the design of digital images and digital features and easy to deal with the tools within the program with beginners or professionals and is characterized as cheap compared to other expensive design programs is a free program main use and improve the appearance of images as well as re-scaled and cut and Adjusting colors, grouping images with each other, removing unwanted objects, and converting between different image formats as well as drawing logos. It can also create GIF animations
Jump works on several platforms: most of the platforms of UNIX and its children such as GNU Linux, Macintosh among them, in addition to Microsoft Windows.
It is characteristic
 The program is light and small size does not exceed 16 MB.
Free and free, and you do not have to pay too much to use, you can download and use it for free.
 Supports Arabic by default and does not need a special version to support Arabic.
Places of coloring
 A complete set of painting tools.
 Anti-Aliasing (Sub-pixel sampling) technology is available for all tools.
 Generating gradients with great magnificence.
 Add custom brushes, gradients and patterns.
Technical features
 Advanced memory management (tile based memory management, sic) makes image size limited only to free space on the hard drive.
 Unlimited number of images

Cons

Slower in performance but very acceptable
  It does not support 16-bit accuracy and this is my opinion the flaw is the good news that this defect will be resolved in the next version according to some sites.
Some specifications need to be installed and not the basis of the program
It does not contain a photo organizer program like Bridge
It does not contain a RAW adapter and this is not necessary because most cameras come with RAW format converter. You will also find a free alternative to RAW format conversion
It does not open some file types such as JPEG-2000

Andrew
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

A good solution for image-editing needs, though not perfect

Reviewed on 27/1/2022

We utilise GIMP for logos and various promo materials. Despite a few persistent niggles, I would still have GIMP as my go-to editor. There are many things it does perfectly well.

Pros

It's great that GIMP exists, as a free image-editing software that's decently powerful, probably the equal of the old Micrografx Picture Publisher. It crashes less often nowadays, and the program opens much quicker (it used to take several minutes to open every single time, as it painstakingly re-added all the fonts and other things). Some of the included effects are quite useful.

Cons

When I last upgraded GIMP, I lost certain templates which I was expecting to maintain access to. One of the big bugbears is the amount of functions that have just been the same way through multiple versions, even if their implementation is not the best. Certain obvious-seeming functions are hidden within sub-menus that aren't clearly labelled. Certain things still just don't work very well, e.g. the clone tool, or just applying the same effect to multiple layers. Some of the included effects are virtually pointless, take an age to process, or crash the program.

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

The old product was outdated.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Photoshop is too expensive for our budget.
I. Adrian
  • Industry: Sports

Good performance software but it lacks certain tools

Reviewed on 2/8/2018

Gimp is a good software for editing photos and images. It allows obtaining quality results for the management of photographs, having multiple formats to obtain the final products.

Despite the disadvantages I mentioned above, I would not stop using Gimp, and I recommend it to the entire graphic design community, they will not regret acquiring it.

Pros

Gimp has very positive characteristics that complement my functions as a photographer. While I use other software to design and edit photographs, Gimp is also part of my repertoire.

An excellent layer management to make the images much more colorful and realistic. These layers in turn can be combined in thousands of ways, making the software a creative solution for all graphic designers.

Another interesting element of this software is that you can make or edit images that can be supported through scrips to be inserted into web pages. This feature is very important because it allows me to save time in the elaboration and coding of the image for the blogs and web pages that I currently use.

Cons

Sometimes I have to resort to other image manipulation software by vectors since Gimp does not have this option. I also think that this software lacks certain tools, however, I would not stop using it because I like the quality that Gimp offers for editing and the formats it allows me to work with.

Fedra
  • Industry: Photography
  • Used for 2+ years

A free and easy-to-use software

Reviewed on 22/4/2019

As a photographer I like to try different tools to edit my photographs. Gimp is a tool that I used in my student years and I still use it to make small adjustments or correct colors and when I need to work with a software that doesn't use a lot of RAM since it's one of its advantages.

Pros

One of its biggest advantages is that it's free compared to others that are more known but at the same time very expensive. It's an excellent alternative for students or small business owners who can't buy paid software. The tools are easy to use, they have quite precise focus and blur tools and you can create your own brushes and modify them, configuring the levels of appearance, scale and use. It offers a large number of filters that can be configured to give customized finishes and a large color panel. Gimp is compatible with any operating system and it's a light software, you can add pluggins since it's an open software and the official website has many tutorials to learn how to use it.

Cons

I would like the interface to look more modern and be a bit more friendly. I also believe that it lacks more tools to be able to compete with the great design programs of the market. Unfortunately, it is not such a well-known software and people are still betting on the payment software; however, being an open source software, it should evolve and improve over time, but the add-ons are outdated and all are spread over the Internet, in addition to the complicated installation. If they could organize the add-ons, keep them updated and look for a friendlier way to install them, they could really outperform other popular design softwares. The text editing tools are pretty basic.

Powerful, not intuitive

Reviewed on 10/6/2022

So my experience is based on many years of using the major app pho**sh**, which is expensive. I find myself looking for the tool icons I am familiar with and keyboard shortcuts. THAT is the problem. If I didn't know those, this app would be as useful and as liked.

Pros

Powerful and feature rich. Very customizable with limitless plugins

Adobe Photoshop Elements

Price of photoshop

Price
Ishanka

The Buzz Around GIMP

Reviewed on 25/9/2019

Whether you're just dipping your toes into the editing world, or an advanced designer, GIMP will provide you with the tools you need to succeed. For software that is totally free to use, it knocks the competition out of the park. Regardless of why you might need design software, GIMP will always have your back.

Pros

If you're into graphic design, then you'll definitely want to hear all about the free design software GIMP. GIMP is a graphic design platform that allows users to customize photos, create art from scratch, and utilize photoshop tools in a professional way. Plus, if you're a big supporter of cross-platform software, GIMP will be sure to get the job done for you. So let's dive in, and take a look at what GIMP is all about.

GIMP is a great software if you're into photo editing. If you need a template to work with, GIMP will be sure to provide you with the perfect baseline for your image. Plus, if you want to start from scratch, GIMP can handle that for you as well.

While most people think that advanced editing software may be hard to use, GIMP provides you with a very simple solution to this problem. If you're new to this type of software, GIMP has plenty of ways to show you exactly how to use their software. If this is not enough to peak your interest, GIMP will also allow you to utilize their own premade designs as a source to build off of. Some great starter tools you'll find on GIMP are:

- Photoshop capabilities
- Templates
- Cropping tools
- Cross platform compatibility
- Gradient enhancers
- Color enhancement with depth
- Automatic enhancement tools
- Brush options

Cons

While GIMP is more than proficient in most areas, there are downsides that you should understand before using this software. GIMP may be free to use, but it lacks a certain depth that other common design software can provide you with. All this means is that you might get better pixel editing software with Photoshop, and Photoshop is more of an industry-standard as well. So if you're looking for super-advanced editing, you might find yourself struggling a bit in some areas. While GIMP may not have it all, what more do you need in free design software that provides plenty of great features?

Leah
  • Industry: Fine Art

Inexpensive Photoshop Dupe

Reviewed on 14/5/2022

GIMP makes it easy to edit photos, design logos or banners for businesses or websites.

Pros

GIMP is easy to use, there's no guesswork about the tools or their functions. You get a good deal of the function Photoshop offers for a fraction of the price. There are very few 2D design projects that I take on that I can't use GIMP for.

Cons

There could be more development into the software itself. While it has the majority of features you'd use Photoshop for there are some that are lacking. Updates with new features would be nice as well.

Adobe Photoshop and Picnic