2,128 reviews

GIMP

Open-source and on-premise image manipulation software

4.4 /5 (2128 reviews) Write a Review!
4.4
Industry: Fine Art

Using Gimp in Place of other Software

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 16/3/2020

This software is simple and great for the entry-level artist. The artist will have to get a feel for the tools and experiment/ practice to learn what they do. This software works very well for the new artist so that they do not have to spend a fortune on higher-end software such as the Adobe Creative Cloud. The software is also limited so at one point the user will have to upgrade to finish certain projects.

Pros

Gimp is a great entry-level software for users that are just getting into things like photo-editing and photo manipulation. It has multiple tools that the user needs to edit photos. For example, a user can use this software to color correct a photograph. If a user wants to get into photo-editing but doesn't want to spend the money to use higher-end software, this is a great place to start.

Cons

One con is that it doesn't have the exact same tools as a software such a photoshop. There also would a learning curve when switching to a higher-end software because even though a lot of the tools do the same things, they'll have different icons and different placements. The user is also limited to what they can exactly do. The software is designed to do basic tasks.

Derek N.
Industry: Design

The Ultimate Alternative to Photoshop!

Reviewed on 18/12/2020

Pros

GIMP has been quite the program that I have used for the past 8 years. Before I dived into Photoshop (for school), I used GIMP for all of my art projects. Not only is it free, but it's an incredible learning tool for people that want to get into learning about digital art, design, and photo editing activities.

Cons

I wish the UI (User Interface) was a bit more cheerful, but the important content matter while using GIMP is the piece of work itself!

Jordan B.
Industry: Defense & Space
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

A Quick Tool for Free Editing

Reviewed on 7/8/2020

I love the fact that it is free, and I do recommend it as a free alternative to Photoshop. Especially to those individuals who are new to photo editing, and don't want to spend any money. My overall experience is good, but blotched with frustrations due to the poor GUI layout. There are a handful of file formats that it can convert to that photoshop cannot, so I will often import my work from photoshop and use it to export it to my desired file type.

Pros

For most everyone in the photography world, GIMP is an obvious go to for free editing software. For a long time, before Adobe had created the cloud, it was the only real affordable way to edit images. The universal OS deployment is also a huge plus! With adobe you're stuck with windows or Mac, but with Gimp you can use it on a linux machine! This in itself is why GIMP is still in the running and consideration for a Photoshop alternative photo editing software.

Cons

The first and most obvious is the strange and un-user-friendly graphical user interface (GUI). The GUI tends to be spread out, and it has no background window frame, so your windows desktop peeks through around all of the edges. To me this is a huge con, because as I am editing I want a high contrast single color background that doesn't distract me from my work. Some may say, then make your desktop background black, and yes this is an alternative, but it is an unnecessary step, that the software engineers and developers can easily remedy.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Adriana V.
Industry: Retail
Company size: Self Employed

Great tool for my design needs

Reviewed on 15/5/2019

Creating logos, marketing images, editing pdf files, removing background from pictures of my products to sell them on Amazon. They all have profesional quality.

Pros

I use Linux Ubuntu and I love gimp. Free, great documentation and very easy to use. I’m a business owner and because I recently started I don’t have the money yet to pay a graphic designer, so I use gimp to create my logo and marketing images. I also install new fonts all the time and it’s super easy. The option of saving the images with many extensions have made my life very easy.

Cons

I wish it could open and save AI files because all the printer companies I have worked with require I send them the AI file.

Nimanthi R.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

open-source image editing platform

Reviewed on 26/4/2019

Generally, GIMP is an excellent alternative open-source editing platform for professionals. It's free availability on all operating systems enable users to work seamlessly.

Pros

I have been using GIMP for a few years now. Earlier on, my experience with this software was not quite right. Now that I am more advanced in graphics and photo edits, I have come to appreciate this open open-source image editing platform. Believe me, when I say this software is excellent, it is because the results are impeccable. GIMP has it all! Its excellent array of features are so good that they can rival adobe photoshop capabilities. These features allow you to tune photos, images and create an artwork of your own. As a graphic designer, you will be able to seamlessly crop images, make colour adjustments, customises brushes and adjust gradients among others editing. Here are some of the advantages of using Gimp over other image editing software. 1.It has incredible, and quality features making it the best among open -source programs 2.Single-window mode operation which is great for single pc operation. 3.GIMP is 100% free. 4.It supports plenty of image formats such as GIF and PDF. Additionally, GIMP is customizable such that you can add and remove menus or icons on the fly. 5.It is easily extensible to ease image manipulation with the third party. 6.Last but not least, GIMP works efficiently on all major operating systems. Whether you choose Linux or windows, results are always impeccable.

Cons

the script-fu is not user-friendly. GIMP lacks intuition on new users and can make their experience pretty cumbersome. Some filters and effects don't explain or guide how the image should be modified. It would be awesome if it would support PSD photoshop images. It does not open some files such a JPEG.

Sébastien L.
Industry: Computer Software

The Best Free Alternative of the past Decade to Any Commercial Image Editing Software

Reviewed on 16/4/2019

The fact that GIMP is freely available on all major operating systems ensures that you can work seamlessly from any computer in the native format provided (XCF) or any other supported format. I have used GIMP many times to edit PDF files, either to add annotations or to conceal confidential information, which is easy to accomplish with a filter such as "Pixelize". For certain programming tasks, it came handy to create paths with the Bezier tool, exporting the information to the SVG format, which can be read with a programming text editor in a breeze. I have also benefited from its great stability, once creating more than a hundred layers on a single image. Since it can handle as many layer groups and layer masks as you wish, it is possible to iterate over one idea over and over again, discarding only specific modifications. There is also a useful "Undo history" tab that takes a visual snapshot of the state of the image at each particular point in time and gives a meaningful name to each step, facilitating the retrieval of a desired state.

Pros

GIMP really has it all: apart from being open source (free) to start with, it supports a plethora of image formats, including animated GIF, PDF, PS, RAW, TIFF and even text (TXT). It features a single-window mode, which is convenient when working with only one monitor, while the multi-window mode is incredibly useful to divide any work being done on two different monitors. It offers many filters and third-party extensions to ease some more tedious aspects of image manipulation. If you are into programming, then you can even take advantage of the exposed libraries, which allow you to programmatically modify images with any tool available in GIMP using Python or Scheme as programming languages. It is also customizable to the core: you can add and remove menus and icons on the fly; you can define the exact resource consumption of the application by specifying details for memory usage and even the number of CPU threads to use; you can have completely distinct configurations for normal mode and full-screen mode; you can create brushes or import from existing creations available online, the same being true with textures; you can configure and add keyboard shortcuts for almost any action you may require to perform and configure many settings to correspond to the default behavior you want in most situations.

Cons

GIMP wasn't made to work with Photoshop images (PSD). It does support them, but the experience isn't as good as with Photoshop. Some types of filters apply many different steps and can't easily be undone, which is sometimes frustrating. Unless you are an expert, the Script-Fu Console is not intuitive at all for newcomers and makes it hard to guess what you can actually do. Some filters and effects won't have a complete description immediately available explaining how the image is expected to be modified. This can be inconvenient when trying out new things, as a few filters take a long time to run and may cause the system to hang for a while depending on how the system allocates priority to the application. On the same subject of filters, it is also hard to guess how long a specific effect may take to render as many filters apply a number of steps in a row, resetting the progress bar at each step. Some filters may also have corner cases to consider, for instance when working on a very large image resolution: when rendering a pattern, it can show signs of incongruence if the image isn't scaled down a bit first.

Aníbal M.

My experience with GIMP has been great, very professional image editing with impeccable results

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 7/7/2018

GIMP has brought me many benefits in recent years, I have edited in record time images for the websites that I have designed, I have made business cards for professionals, being a web programmer knowing that GIMP has complemented me allows to offer web pages without having to always resort to a professional designer, which reduces the costs of my projects for the end customers, in my work in the company has served me to perform specific tasks when working with web pages. I am very happy with this software that has been very useful for years and has taken me out of trouble. My bosses and clients are happy with my work. Surely I will continue using GIMP for many years.

Pros

I have been using this software for many years to edit images and perform work at the request of my clients in my work as an independent professional, retouching images, banners, logos, among many other things that I have been able to do without complications with GIMP, this application is free , I can use it perfectly without cost, this advantage is very important for me, I love that there are versions for Windows and Linux, since it is possible to install it from repositories, it is easy and it does not waste time searching the Internet, it has many options that include the possibility of programming your own filters this option Although it is very advanced for me, it seems excellent for the future. Another thing that I like about this software is light, I have been able to run it without problems on computers with very few resources, this has got me out of trouble on more than one occasion. It is important that there is a good amount of extras, like filters and brushes, that can be downloaded from the Internet completely free, I like that a lot.

Cons

What I like least about GIMP is that the existing documentation is very little in English and even less in Spanish, most of its users are German or Russian and the information you have is not good for me, the GIMP community is very small . It is difficult to find someone who will really help you if you have a problem or do not know how to do a particular task. The additional components that can be downloaded from the Internet are free, but not many. It is necessary to perform a manual work in other applications are performed automatically. It has functions that are very advanced and not very intuitive, it has cost me to discover some functions on my own. The graphical interface seems a little sloppy, this could improve to make it more attractive for a larger group of people.

Industry: Research

GIMP Review

Reviewed on 28/1/2019

Pros

I'm a happy and frequent user of GIMP especially after some experience using photoshop as well. It is important to clarify that GIMP is the kind of software that does not try to compete or overpower Photoshop. The most important aspect is that it is not developed commercially and it's free and open-source, unlike Photoshop. All its updates are also free and you can have it on as many computers as you want. It provides with a bunch of free plugins and I even had the chance to play around with the source code of some. GIMP also has its source code available to compile and that makes it available to wide range of systems that Photoshop might not support. Installation is as easy as it can get and runs smoothly even on older computers. I also enjoy the flexibility on keybindings, it can make the work process much faster. The settings being portable to different workstations makes it even more convenient.

Cons

The interface can be a bit confusing (I never liked so many floating windows) but that's the case with o lot of similar software too. There is a deep learning curve that is accompanied with not the best documentation, but once you get familiar with it, it shouldn't be a problem. In terms of usage from professionals, there are a few limitations so it shouldn't be considered as a strict replacement for Photoshop. It lacks a few features like CMYK, but there are several plugins to overcome those. Some points that mainly come along with the fact that it is a free open-source piece of software include that it can be buggy sometimes as there is no official quality assurance team. The user community is responsible for reporting bugs and updates and fixes can consequentially take sometime. It can also be a bit slow, but at least it is not as resource-hungry as other alternatives.

Ray A.
Industry: Photography
Company size: Self Employed

GIMP is seriously powerful now and a keystone to open-source photography workflow

Reviewed on 31/8/2018

I tried switching to GIMP in Linux back in 2009, but found it awkward to use and wasn't able to achieve the results I wanted easily. Recent versions have been much better and now, with the release of 2.10 which integrates with Darktable, GIMP is a powerful tool indeed. It is open source and free, but please do make donations to support the development of these amazing tools that benefit many users who truly cannot afford to pay for software.

Pros

GIMP is cross platform and will run equally well on Linux, Windows and Mac. This is a big advantage for people who use different computers but are collaborating on a project.

My favorite feature of GIMP 2.10 right now is its ability to open RAW files using either Darktable or Rawtherapee where the user can make adjustments, and when finished, close Darktable (Rawtherapee) and have the edited image open directly in GIMP for further editing. This is brilliant and offers a greatly improved workflow for photo editing.

A new feature in 2.10.6 is vertical text layers, or the ability to write text top to bottom. This is useful for writing vertical-reading text in Chinese, especially for the creation of formal or fancy documents or invitations. It is also useful for creating interesting layouts in English.

Much has been written about GIMP's 'healing' features that allow removal of unwanted items in a photo. In GIMP, this can be done using the Resynthsizer plugin, or the Inpainting plugin that is included in the G'MIC plugin set. While both work well, the G'MIC plugin seems to yield somewhat more consistent results.

Cons

Until recent editions, GIMP suffered from a rather unattractive interface and opened the main editing window and toolbars separately. While some users preferred this, I found it awkward to to use and arrange on my limited screen space. A single-window mode was introduced in version 2.8 which I prefer.

Fedra S.
Industry: Photography

A free and easy-to-use software

Reviewed on 22/4/2019

As a photographer I like to try different tools to edit my photographs. Gimp is a tool that I used in my student years and I still use it to make small adjustments or correct colors and when I need to work with a software that doesn't use a lot of RAM since it's one of its advantages.

Pros

One of its biggest advantages is that it's free compared to others that are more known but at the same time very expensive. It's an excellent alternative for students or small business owners who can't buy paid software. The tools are easy to use, they have quite precise focus and blur tools and you can create your own brushes and modify them, configuring the levels of appearance, scale and use. It offers a large number of filters that can be configured to give customized finishes and a large color panel. Gimp is compatible with any operating system and it's a light software, you can add pluggins since it's an open software and the official website has many tutorials to learn how to use it.

Cons

I would like the interface to look more modern and be a bit more friendly. I also believe that it lacks more tools to be able to compete with the great design programs of the market. Unfortunately, it is not such a well-known software and people are still betting on the payment software; however, being an open source software, it should evolve and improve over time, but the add-ons are outdated and all are spread over the Internet, in addition to the complicated installation. If they could organize the add-ons, keep them updated and look for a friendlier way to install them, they could really outperform other popular design softwares. The text editing tools are pretty basic.

Ishanka M.

The Buzz Around GIMP

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 25/9/2019

Whether you're just dipping your toes into the editing world, or an advanced designer, GIMP will provide you with the tools you need to succeed. For software that is totally free to use, it knocks the competition out of the park. Regardless of why you might need design software, GIMP will always have your back.

Pros

If you're into graphic design, then you'll definitely want to hear all about the free design software GIMP. GIMP is a graphic design platform that allows users to customize photos, create art from scratch, and utilize photoshop tools in a professional way. Plus, if you're a big supporter of cross-platform software, GIMP will be sure to get the job done for you. So let's dive in, and take a look at what GIMP is all about.

GIMP is a great software if you're into photo editing. If you need a template to work with, GIMP will be sure to provide you with the perfect baseline for your image. Plus, if you want to start from scratch, GIMP can handle that for you as well.

While most people think that advanced editing software may be hard to use, GIMP provides you with a very simple solution to this problem. If you're new to this type of software, GIMP has plenty of ways to show you exactly how to use their software. If this is not enough to peak your interest, GIMP will also allow you to utilize their own premade designs as a source to build off of. Some great starter tools you'll find on GIMP are:

- Photoshop capabilities
- Templates
- Cropping tools
- Cross platform compatibility
- Gradient enhancers
- Color enhancement with depth
- Automatic enhancement tools
- Brush options

Cons

While GIMP is more than proficient in most areas, there are downsides that you should understand before using this software. GIMP may be free to use, but it lacks a certain depth that other common design software can provide you with. All this means is that you might get better pixel editing software with Photoshop, and Photoshop is more of an industry-standard as well. So if you're looking for super-advanced editing, you might find yourself struggling a bit in some areas. While GIMP may not have it all, what more do you need in free design software that provides plenty of great features?

Kirk K.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising
Company size: Self Employed

A great product that does not interfere with the creative process.

Reviewed on 28/9/2020

Very intuitive and blessedly open source. I will be very happy to see the continued develop of graphics and media suite products from this developer.

Pros

Support for LOTS of kinds of media files and a very robust graphics application suite. The UI scheme is very easy on the eyes, and there's very little you couldn't do in GIMP compared to expensive graphics suites.

Cons

Not a con but I would like to see GIMP increase its support for as many types of media files as possible

Infiyaz K.
Industry: E-Learning

A fantastic tool for converting image file formats

Reviewed on 29/11/2020

Although personally using GIMP can be a challenge for editing drawings, it is super advanced and offers a host of functions that many commercial programs offer. Eg: Photoshop.

It is just that we need to be familiar with the workflow.

In the past several years of using GIMP, I truly appreciate the file conversion function. It's fast and efficient, especially on Ubuntu. I haven't used GIMP on Windows in the last few years but I do recall that it takes longer to start up on Windows. But this is not a problem for the Linux users.

Pros

As part of my work, I have to regularly export png files and convert them into JPEG or GIFF depending on whichever is smaller for online viewing. GIMP has a huge range of file formats which makes it the most suitable tool.

Of course it also has superb photo-editing functions like in Photoshop (although I'm not into this).

Cons

Compared to Inkscape which is a vector graphics program, with GIMP it is pretty hard to edit an image. It involves having to outline a selection and a whole process. It doesn't allow nodes of the shape to be adjusted as we do on Inkscape.

Enlarging a selection is not as straightforward as we would do on Inkscape. But in fairness, I think I'm expecting too much out of it.

Erika J.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Gimp Review

Reviewed on 28/10/2019

Best free bitmap image editing software. It has a lot of plugins, scripts, Photoshop brushes that can be used without conversion, a professional tool. He has great internet literature. Of course, as neither program is perfect, GIMP doesn't know everything, but it can be a perfect alternative to any image editing program for hobby and semi-professional use. I also have a lot of help in my day-to-day work with Gimp, such as editing invitations and "splitting" photos.

Pros

Well organized, transparent, easy to learn. It is also very useful program. It has a lot of features to make beautiful photos from an average photo. The positive thing is that we can split images into almost pixels and still get excellent quality. There are always plenty of innovations after upgrades, so more and more people use it. It is very good that this program is compatible with other operating systems such as Linux. I have an EOS laptop that I can use very well with this GIMP image editing software.

Cons

Unfortunately, it freezes many times. And sometimes it does not save the images in edits, but in their original state, so you can start all over again. It takes up a lot of storage space. The toolbar often disappears, so if you want to change the size of the brush for example, you need to open the toolbar again, and unfortunately it can be very annoying after a while.

Alita D.
Industry: Construction

Great for beginners and small projects

Reviewed on 24/2/2020

I have used GIMP multiple times I find that if you just have a few images you want to tweak or alter it works great. I think if you needed to use it every day it might become cumbersome and a paid-for software might be a better option.

Pros

For free software, GIMP is amazing. It has the versatility to accommodate most graphic changes. It is easier to learn if you don't have previous knowledge with other graphic design software as the controls are not the same and I could see that being confusing. It has a lot of options and it is quite fast.

Cons

It can be a bit confusing at first and I would say there is a large learning curve if you are not quick at learning new software. I would also say that if you are used to using another paid-for program that switching to GIMP would be annoying but not impossible.

Sherry G.
Industry: Internet

Using Gimp Has Saved Me Money

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Very good experience with Gimp. It is easy to use, consistent, and works well for my use. I'm not a graphic designer, but I am a web developer and online marketer, so I need to be able to have a program I can use to pull up images and resize them, remove background, and so on. Every once in a while I make up a logo for a business I'm working with if I don't outsource it and Gimp works great for me.

Pros

The greatest thing about this software is that it was free. I had been using PhotoShop for years and then a colleague recommended Gimp. I studied it before downloading it and it took me a short while to figure out how to use it. There are lots of videos on YouTube to help you get started and there are lots of video tutorials for the various functions. Easy peasy to learn to use, never crashes, never a problem.

Cons

Nothing. I have been happy with Gimp from the day I downloaded it and have used it almost daily. It is a good software program.

Abderrahim O.
Industry: Sports

GIMP GIMP

Reviewed on 6/7/2020

While not exactly as cutting edge as Photoshop , GIMP isn't simply stripped down photograph altering, either. It despite everything offers layers, bends, channels, and a lot more devices that work out positively past essential. In any case, as the business standard with a devoted organization making continuous updates, Photoshop is unquestionably the more impressive program

Pros

GIMP is a free, open-source picture modifying stage. The program packs an assortment of master quality features which can genuinely coordinate Adobes Photoshop capacities. Its critical montage features grant the customer to easily align photos/pictures and make show-stopper without any planning. The assurance joins uproar decline, cutting, modified picture improvement gadgets, concealing modification mechanical assemblies, tendencies, versatile brushes, and impressively more.

Cons

One con is that it doesn't have precisely the same apparatuses as a product such a photoshop. There additionally would an expectation to learn and adapt when changing to a better quality programming in light of the fact that despite the fact that a great deal of the devices do very similar things, they'll have various symbols and various positions.

Salvador S.
Industry: Automotive
Company size: Self Employed

GIMP is an amazing freeware that packs a punch

Reviewed on 18/9/2018

Since I began using GIMP, I've had a lot of fun creating various edited photos and have used it for graphic design as well. I think it is a great program for anyone from beginner to advanced level. I'd highly recommend using GIMP as a starting point if you are considering going into any creative field where you think you might need image editing experience.

Pros

I don't even know where to start. There are basically limitless functions with more being written almost daily. Plug ins are plentiful if you scour the web and you can find so many great tutorials to teach what you don't already know. I've never really had the money to be able to afford the adobe suite for my personal life, so I rely on freeware programs such as GIMP to do much of my personal work. There is a huge community out there that can assist you with finding exactly what you need to tackle whatever project you have at hand.

Cons

Honestly, there isn't much I don't like about GIMP. If i had to say one thing, is that it is resource intense. Your computer may run slower when using GIMP if you have an older or less powerful PC. This is the only issue I really have with GIMP, but you could say the same about virtually any program like it on the market today.

Robert R.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Free and Excellent Software for Painting and and Creating Digital Art

Reviewed on 2/8/2018

I don't deserve this wonderful, free, versatile program. It's nice to paint without being a pirate or throwing a ton at something pretty much equivalent. I've made some cool stuff this with Gimp.

Pros

i love this program. And it's free. FREEEEE! No student versions or trial periods. I've been using Gimp to create digital art for years and it as good as any program I've used. Used with a Wacom tablet, I can do rough sketches, fine line work, and final coloring. Full features brushes, color selection, pressure sensitivity, etc. Layers are very versatile, and I can create masks, copy and merge masks and layers. Selection tool is powerful and can grow and manipulate the selection. Colors can be corrected. On and on and on.

Cons

My Wacom tablet flakes out a lot, where I lose pressure sensitivity when first opening the program and have to close and restart.

I wish GIMP was a better at selection and gap closing, so I can do color fills without needing my line work to be perfect.

Tools to help improve lineart would be nice. Clean up noise, smooth, etc.
Would like different tools to creating strait, same-thickness lines.
Vectors and path strokes take a lot of effort.

Arshad S.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Wonderful Image Editing Software

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 14/6/2020

I find GIMP as excellent image editing software. It can be used to edit logos. I personally use it to edit images. If you are new to image editing you can start working with GIMP as it does not requires you to have in depth knowledge about editing .The best part is that it is completely free which saved my cost of buying a new image editing software. However I think that the software needs update as there are certain areas where GIMP needs to work but overall the software is very good.

Pros

GIMP is the best image editing software. You can edit any image with good quality. The most interesting thing is that it is completely free so if you want to learn image editing then you must use GIMP. It will save your cost of buying paid software like Adobe Photoshop. The free tutorials help you to learn the software quickly as it is user friendly. The installation is very simple and the software can run smoothly on any computer so you need not need to worry about the strength your computer.

Cons

Though GIMP is very good software it has some disadvantages. The user interface is dull as compared to other image editing software like Adobe Photoshop. I think that GMIP can come up with a better user interface. The portable version of the software is something which is very good but the installation is slow and user experience is not very satisfying.

Michael H.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Great tool for non-profits and low budget projects.

Reviewed on 2/1/2020

It is a great piece of software that has never let me down. Never had it crash on me yet which is not very common with free software.

Pros

The number 1 thing is price. Churches In need of graphic design and have a low budget will find that Gimp does very well compared to Photoshop. It has the tools to do the small logos for letter heads to large projects like banners and posters.

Cons

There is a learning curve with Gimp but given enough time you learn it like any other software. As for plug-ins It has a bunch but would like to see more or a easier way to add them.

Rachel W.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Excellent substitute for Photoshop

Reviewed on 3/4/2019

Pros

I love that it is a free program and can do much of the more advanced photo editing needs that I have. I am a pretty basic user, so I don't need to spend a lot on a photo editing program. I like that it's features are pretty similar to those of the much more expensive Photoshop, allowing me to edit existing images and create new images as needed as well. I also love that I can almost always Google how to do something and find easy instructions online! It's easy to add text overlays over a photo, adjust fonts, etc.

Cons

It is a bit complicated to change the color of an image - you have to set the background and foreground colors in advance and then choose one of those colors. Would be nice to have a feature to just change the color in one step instead of two. Maybe it exists and I'm missing it, but if that's the case, it isn't intuitive. I also find that the drop shadow feature is a bit less than intuitive, and I don't like that when I add drop shadow to text, if I move the text, the drop shadow does not follow it.

Wilco V.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Powerful open source photo editing software

Reviewed on 14/4/2019

It is a good alternative for Photoshop if you only do basic photo editing and even works great for some more advanced editing, especially since it is totally free to use, compared to Photoshop's subscription based license. But for some features there is unfortunately still no good alternative for Photoshop like content aware fill.

Pros

GIMP has almost all the functionality Photoshop has for simple and more advanced photo editing.
Since 2.10, it finally has official WebP support and has a more modern UI.
Once you know where to find all the tools you need it is easy and fast to use.
It is open source and cross platform so it can also be used on operating systems like Linux.

Cons

Some of the icons are not very clear so you will have to hover over the tool first to know what it does.
By default GIMP is in multi window mode, which is really annoying to use in my opinion. Luckily you can switch it to single window mode.
Some features are still a lot better in Photoshop or only available in Photoshop like content aware fill and filters.
It takes quite a while to start GIMP.

James L.
Company size: Self Employed

Very good for a free app. Still needs extended functions

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 11/12/2019

Quick download and install, very quick learning curve. Exceptionally easy to teach with. It was the right-hand tool to diver from web development teaching to quickly handle image changes and processing with minimal fuss.

Pros

It was the graphic design app we used when we couldn't afford the Adobe suite. I used Gimp to help teach web development courses for 2 years. It was the medium in which web development students could process images fairly quickly without the added cost. The GIMP-Perl functions were intriguing and we wanted to explore that further, until responsive design came along.

Cons

Addons/plugins are quite limited, and this affects a commercial development workflow. With thousands of tips, free and paid plugins for Photoshop, it was creating limitations that had to be addressed.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Industry: Civil Engineering
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Gimp is by far the best bang for you buck!

Reviewed on 13/12/2018

Pros

Gimp is free, Gimp is a super powerful photo editing tool, Gimp has lot of functionality and tools in addition to a huge fan base with knowledge articles and how to forums. I can't speak highly enough of this product, it has the capability to accomplish everything that other photo editing softwares have. And it's FREE! It's an easy install on your desktop, has the ability to save projects, export to various files etc etc. I utilize it all the time to edit our watermarks, create prettier photos, and apply filters to photographs. I highly highly recommend using Gimp before purchasing another software.

Cons

My only gripe and I think this is very common on most photo editing softwares is that is takes a looong time to learn the tool and figure out how and where all those tools are. It's not very user friendly, but then again I've ever used a similar product that was. Because I don't use the product very often I do forget where and how things are located in the application. I find it cumbersome at times to use. But hey it's free!