GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

4.4 (3,232)
Open-source and on-premise image manipulation software

(3,232)
4.8/5
4.3/5
3.9/5
4.0/5

Lalao

Get GIMP to make your photos look great!

Reviewed on 5/10/2022

I am a big fan of GIMP! I think it's an amazing image processing program, and I love that it's free! It's easy to use and has a lot of features that I never thought possible for a free program. It's a great alternative to photo editing software!

Pros

I like GIMP because it's free and accessible to everyone!
The menus are quite intuitive, and with a little practice (there are online tutorials if you need help), I could easily learn to use GIMP for my own needs.
Among its features, I love the support for HDR formats, for example. This means that I can easily create high quality images with great color and detail. Whether I'm working on a personal or professional project, GIMP's HDR capabilities give me the flexibility I need to do my job well.

Cons

Gimp has a lot of features for a free program and a large community of experts. It is more than correct. I don't find any disadvantage to it.

Tibor
  • Industry: Entertainment

GIMP, a free high standard image editor

Reviewed on 8/10/2022

We used GIMP for years at the beginning of our business because it was a free app that competes even with some of highest industry standard apps, we only switched to other - paid - apps because additional functions were not available in GIMP and GIMP also has a slow version update time.

Pros

It's FREE! The best thing about it it is free and also has functionalities that are comparable even with the industry leading image and photo editor apps such as Photoshop. Although it does lack some of the additional features other higher standard apps have, this is a great free alternative to others. The app also has a community forum where you can talk to others including the developers, you ask questions and make suggestions, they are always willing to help and listen.

Cons

Updates are kind of slow to happen, new features we read about them on their support sites can take many months until implemented so there is a longer wait time for any new and improved features. Also a bit tedious to install or update, the download and installation steps are a bit complex.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Because it was free and had most of the functions Photoshop did.
Thomas

A good alternative for the price conscious

Reviewed on 20/10/2022

I was using GIMP for some light photo editing (email signatures etc.) I could get it to do what I needed, but honestly, my teeth were cut on Affinity and the newer Adobe Suite, so it just didn't feel familiar to me and I felt like I was fighting against the software. That said, it's a great alternative considering you don't have to worry about a subscription to the service in order to use it.

Pros

It's completely free and I've basically told you everything you need to know right there. Do you need to do photo-editing on a budget? This is a solid way to go. It's a little clunkier than an Affinity or Photoshop, but it gets the job done and there's no costly subscription service to worry about.

Cons

Honestly the UX. The program looks like something out of 1999. That said, and I can't stress this enough, it's completely free. Plus, die-hard Photoshop users who have been around for the long-haul might appreciate the throwback look.

Kumar
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Best open source image editor.

Reviewed on 21/8/2022

So far the experience have been amazing , GIMP essential tools are great , easily on par with paid product from enterprise like Adobe Photoshop etc. If the support can be enhanced a bit , this will be killer open source product.

Pros

GIMP is a capable, adjustable and responsive tool. GIMP's brush based tools such as clone/healing , burn/dodge tool are the excellent , even with high resolution images it works like a charm. It allows a large degree of customization which is quite impressive.

Cons

GIMP's selection tools could be bit more user friendly especially with the advance/complicated settings option. Also the support for GIMP could be a bit better but since this is an open source project and not an enterprise product with dedicated support , we are highly grateful to the developers helping in providing support

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Since adobe has switched most of its product onto a monthly subscription model rather than the single purchase system. It has become unfeasible for smaller studios/ hobbist like us to use their products.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

We choose GIMP because its an open source project, with a very good free version and a decent priced paid version which is really good at doing the essential task of photo editing for our small studio.
Jamie

My Inexpensive Go-To in a Pinch

Reviewed on 23/10/2022

My team needed an inexpensive way to create graphics and icons for our website when we were just setting up. We didn't have Photoshop type of money at the time, so after some research, we found that GIMP's reputation matched what we were hoping for. We were not disappointed, quickly realizing the powerful punch the little program packed. It's since been used in our organized to produce quick and easy quality content.

Pros

I love how inexpensive and easy GIMP is to use. At first glance, it looks simple and it's easy to underestimate, but given the right tutorials, it becomes the easiest way my team has found to quickly make icons and simple graphics. It has all the tools needed, especially when you know what you're doing, to produce an online identity.

Cons

There could certainly be more features, but for the price point, it makes sense why there aren't.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

We wanted something that could accomplish what we were hoping for without the expense of programs like Photoshop.
Dominika
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Best tool for entry lvl graphic designers

Reviewed on 11/10/2022

The best substitute to Adobe there is. If you want to start making professional designs or photo effects, Gimp will be your best choice. Thanks to Gimp, you can later switch to Adobe or more complicated tools without a problem.

Pros

It's free, so there is no gatekeeping to graphic design. I found Gimp a lot easier to use than Adobe and more user-friendly. It's not perfect, but for my needs, it's enough.

Cons

I wish Gimp could be more intuitive and user-friendly, but I get that it's not a Procreate substitute, but Adobe.

Robert
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Best Free P-shop Alternative

Reviewed on 2/11/2022

GIMP has all the image editing and conversion tools I need, without investing hundreds of dollars. There are open source customization solutions available for it as well.

Pros

Has a premium feel and function, without paying the premium price.

Cons

Some of the tool placement and icon images are less than intuitive. There is a learning curve.

Luis Humberto
  • Industry: Animation

GIMP a free and excellent way to start editing.

Reviewed on 3/11/2022

I use GIMP when i need to edit fast, is very helpful.

Pros

Easy to use and very helpful, the thing about this program is that is free, helpful if you want to edit images and is Open Source

Cons

Maybe at the start is a little overwhelming, but that's all i encounter during my use

Ben

Awesome free imaging application!

Reviewed on 30/10/2022

Gimp is quite easy to use. I've even tried macros which is very useful for batch processing. These days I prefer Glimpse though as everything is in one window.

Pros

It's free and open source. Comes pre-installed with Ubuntu/Linux.

Cons

It can be a bit annoying with all the separate windows and also macros are a bit hard to get started with.

Daniel
  • Industry: Animation

GIMP is Amazing and i wouldn't sleep on it

Reviewed on 13/7/2022

Really helps when needed to alter an image such as removing a background colour or image or even creating an image from a photo and excluding or including other details onto the image.
Great for editing images.
Great for colouring comics as i do a lot of comics and illustration work, came in handy to give more clear colours especially with the quick selection tools.

Pros

- Being able to export to multiple formats.
- The editing tools and effects that could be applied to images to adjust the colours, brightness, contrast and saturation.
- The Features are great for making a digital painting or adding colours to comics, especially the tools that help the work proceed faster like magic wand select tool, colour selection, increasing the sharpness of an image or adding a other effects on the image.

Cons

- Has a bit of a learning curve and if you don't take some time to learn the software you may find yourself getting frustrated considering it has some differences from other similar software.

Nana Twum
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Good news about Gimp

Reviewed on 10/7/2022

Say I had to give this a total rating out of 10, from the standpoint of a freelance designer I am coming in around 8.4. The only things to not like about this software is it is not adobe and that's fine! You can design edit photos, draw, do digital illustrations ,and also make professional promotional pieces for both web and print. This software is free and has great midrange where a creative person should be ale to get the job done. If had to relate it to a car, randomly because I love cars this software is like a modded Mazda speed 3 manual transmission. So that being said it's not the BMW but punches well, easily acceassible (again a free software) has all you need and win race in it's class, and also a sleeper underdog when set against subscription services.

Pros

There are a lot of features about this soft ware or platform that I can highlight from the perspective of a Designer .I have a design business and I just recently started playing around with canvas as a tool but GIMP has most of what anyone doing photo manipulation would need. What I like best about Gimp is primarily, that it is a free software. As far as free there are plenty of brushes ie that come stock, as well as it being easy to download brush bundles, unique brushes online, The software in easy to use and it mimics photoshop in a lot of ways so the software is easy to navigate. The Gimp community has done an amazing job actually making learning forums and tutorial. Gimp also. has it's own plug ins available for download and you can look online and find blogs, q and a posts, and how tos relatively quickly. Within the platform there are wide range of edits and effects you can add to your photos and also very important is that Gimp is not made as. Stand alone product, the software is receptive to other software so your not cut off as a designer and have to do your whole project from beginning to end in that software. I think it's a great free source where you can save some money and produce some work.

Cons

Cons
A obviously there are some negatives but I think they are fair being that its a free software. My main problems with it are, of course, it is not adobe and doesn't offer a cloud experience meaning that I can access other work I do a vector design or something but then have to, drag and drop it in, and have it open in another window rather than just to upload it from the saved works. Another problem I guess you could highlight is, some of the plugins and fonts don't work 1-1 with adobe so you might have to find a group of fonts that work well with Gimp. Importing fonts can have the size of your son change, you might be missing some symbols or, you might fonts that aren't supported displays as code. I think that the fact that its free you take The salt with the sugar, and you work around what you have to. Now, it can be frustrating, due to the fact that it is not the industry standard so sometimes it's harder to print Gimp files, but to make up for that, newer versions of Gimp actually allow you to export as a PSD. The brushes are not the same as photoshop and the the effects are very similar but not the same.

Joshua
  • Industry: Fine Art

Doesn't get much better

Reviewed on 17/2/2022

This software has been a godsend to my art.
No more making ten versions of something and then extracting outlines by hand, using hundreds of dollars in expensive colored pencils to adjust an unwanted color scheme, wasting all that time and damaging nerves for what is not a quick selection away.

Pros

Quick tools for removing unwanted colors from images for monochrome printing. It's a huge time and money saver in the tattoo industry. I can pull a full color image and have a basic outline stripped in less than two minutes.

Cons

Text on a path.
The bane of my existence is the massive effort it takes to print text on a simple curve in GIMP.
It's the ONLY thing I dislike about it.

Adobe Photoshop Elements

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Price point and licensing issues with EULA

Price and better EULA
Robert
  • Industry: Online Media

GIMP Rocks My World Everyday, and It Will Do the Same For You, Too!

Reviewed on 14/2/2022

I click on the GIMP icon on my laptop taskbar everyday, and that takes about ten seconds for GIMP to be ready to go. I can pop an image in with one Control V, and I am ready to go. Or I can bring up a project with one click. It is super easy to use. And there is some serious functional power under the hood of GIMP. Yes, there is a learning curve, like I've mentioned, but it just is not that big a deal, at least for me...and I am not some super brain, either. Okay, so I give GIMP my Two Thumbs Up Award for what I do. I use it a lot, and if you haven't been using GIMP, load it up and start using it.

Pros

What I like about this software is I can use it on my own laptop and it doesn't require a huge amount of storage space and it is freeware, and I love all the stuff I can do. I keep finding out things I can do that make me one happy image creator.
I work a lot with images and so one thing for sure is how I can quickly and efficiently remove backgrounds or grab part of the image that I want to use. GIMP gives me at least five different ways I can do this. I can go on and on about what I can do with GIMP when it comes to taking an image and layering other images, and coming up with some fairly decent and unique designs.

Cons

Hmmm. Well, the there is a learning curve. And, yeah, I'd love it if I could just wave my magic pen and, hey, presto! --- the job was done exactly the way I want. But part of the process of creating images is inside the process of using the tools, and finding new and super cool ways to do something. What I mean is that by getting deep into GIMP and messing about, I have stumbled on some results that have made me some original images that help me get eyes on the prize...you know, converts visitors into return visitors, and into customers.

• Industry: Design

Free and Open Source Photoshop Alternative

Reviewed on 1/9/2021

From large outdoor displays to business cards and websites layouts, GIMP has got us covered here at the studio. It is our go to application for graphics manipulation and everytime we need to edit or create an image from scratch, this is where we go for.

Pros

The ease of use and installation make GIMP a no brainer for a small design studio like ours. It is very similar to the Adobe Photoshop Suite, lacking some resources but still very strong for daily tasks.

Cons

The lack of resources would be the most negative part, but there are many workarounds combining other free softwares like Krita and Inkscape that make it well worth a try. The investment is time to learn and get comfortable at using it.

Affinity Photo

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

It is just better for our workflow as we can all use at the same time in the studio with a free license.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

The 0 price tag was what won us here. Affinity Suite is very good and I use it for personal projects but at the Studio we use GIMP as our main Image Manipulation Software.
Joel

Gimp: Illustration and Photo Editing for Everyone

Reviewed on 27/6/2020

Gimp is a resource with endless possibilities. As an artist I use this program to create textures for character models both in cartoon and realistic styles. I’ve used Gimp to create 2D animations which were later imported into a UI (User Interface). I’ve gone as far as create digital portraits for clients. This software is flexible and reliable and I have continued to use it for over 5 years now.

Pros

As an illustration and image editing program, the advantage that Gimp provides is software that rivals Adobe’s Photoshop.

Users can create illustrations from scratch utilizing various brushes and a palette that allows users to manipulate bit depth and color settings such as RGB and CMYK.

Gimp can edit several image files including GIFs, PNGs and JPEGs. The program goes a step further and allows users to import PSD files a format native to Photoshop. If a designer cannot access Photoshop and they have a PSD they can resume work in Gimp.

Using a drawing or image, 3D modelers and animators can craft tileable textures in Gimp. Users can view the final result without saving over the original file.

Lastly additional pros of Gimp are that the program is free to download, it does not require that users log into a service to use it and it can run on lower end computers.

Cons

The program comes with a steep learning curve. There are several buttons and menus that may intimidate first time users. However with time this program can be mastered. Also the Gimp website features several resources to assist in learning the software.

• Industry: Research
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Take the time to learn, and GIMP is rewarding

Reviewed on 13/10/2019

For me, GIMP was a replacement for Photoshop. That being said, I've been totally impressed by the way GIMP has grown over the years. In its current iteration, GIMP can accomplish any image editing task I've thrown at it -- often, this required me to spend time learning how to best accomplish that task in GIMP, but that time has always been rewarded with high quality outputs. Still, I have probably spent as much time fumbling around in confusing with GIMP as I have actually working.

Pros

Unlike a number of other free image manipulation programs, GIMP is both extremely powerful and (relatively) simple to use. Users of Photoshop will not find it to be the most difficult transition. GIMP has just about every feature an average or casual user could want from an image editor. GIMP works well not just for editing photos, but also for digital drawing and graphic design. In most regards for most users, GIMP can do whatever Photoshop or other commercial programs can. That being said, the functionality of GIMP should not be perceived as Photoshop lite. GIMP offers more tools, brushes, presets, etc than an average will ever need, and that's before installing any extensions. My current work requires minimal graphic design work -- largely infographics and visual representations of data -- and GIMP has every tool I could possibly need to produce data visuals / improve those produced by other software.

Cons

While GIMP has become more user friendly over the years, there are two points new users may find intimidating. First GIMP -- as the full name suggests -- is part of the GNU/Linux lineage and ethos. Users unfamiliar with all this will probably be confused, especially as it relates to saving proprietary formats. Beyond that, amateur image editors will probably find themselves overwhelmed by all of the tools offered by GIMP. Some of these basic tools work in unexpected ways based on prior knowledge of other software -- on its face this isn't problematic, but the different way of operating sometimes isn't logical. New users will likely find themselves bewildered by the breadth of menu options, and the sub-options that go with them. I am certain of this, being that I've been using GIMP for years and I still occasionally find myself confused.

Carlos
  • Industry: Research

The image editing software that almost everyone should be using (instead of Photoshop)

Reviewed on 22/8/2019

Whereas some people consider GIMP as a toy software, or a cheap (free) Photoshop replacement, it is not. Instead, GIMP has proven to be a capable, professional software that does not want to be a mere Photoshop clone. On the contrary, they do have their own roadmap, own shortcuts and
their own user interface, and even some successful plugins and features of its own (such as resynthesizer) have been later integrated in Photoshop. Whereas some consider it as being difficult to learn or not user-friendly, it is in fact a proof that it follows its own path to success.
While I admit that from time to time I do miss some of Photoshop features, like non-destructive operations or basic vector operations, I am confident that GIMP fits in the great majority user cases without compromising final results.

Pros

I have been using GIMP for many years for my image editing projects (both, pet projects and professional projects) and I have come to realize that it features such an enormous variety of toolboxes, filters, options... that allow any type of image editing, even really complex ones, with impeccable results. Consequently, there is no need to switch to other software like Photoshop or the like. Not to mention that it is a multi-plattform Free/Libre OpenSource Software.

Some features I like the most of GIMP
- Multi-plattform: available for Linux, Windows, Mac, portable...
- FLOSS
- Customizable user interface
- Selection and manipulation tools (like Unified Transform tool)
- Real-time edition
- Professional results

Additionally, recently GIMP has seen a major improvement on user interface that makes it even easier (and appealing) to use.

Cons

- Small development team with small budget: as a result development happens at a slow pace, even though developers do have great ideas and roadmap.
- Lacks non-destructive filters/effects like in Photoshop
- Lacks some vector operations (only works with bitmaps)
- While there is plenty of documentation and tutorials, most image editing tutorials and manuals are addressed to Photoshop only, and whereas in most cases the same techniques can be reproduced/adapted, it requires extra effort that some users do not want to make.
- The fact that it is not so broadly used as Photoshop may be a problem if collaborating with others, even though GIMP opens and saves Photoshop's native file format (although, admittedly, some filters/effects may be lost).

John
  • Industry: Entertainment

GIMP is where it's at for beginners!

Reviewed on 27/8/2019

Overall, I have had nothing short of an enjoyable experience using GIMP over the past few years. It is versatile enough that I can use it for everything from making flyers and posters to making thumbnails and title card art for YouTube and Facebook videos.
For someone with a limited budget and even more limited technical knowledge when I began, I could not be happier with GIMP and still use it to this day for ninety percent of my projects.

Pros

GIMP offers quite a bit as far as options and competes with some programs out there that can cost sixty dollars or more. When I began using the program, I was brand new to graphic design and generally making artwork and editing visual media on a PC. Through the use of tutorials and other sources that I was able to find on the official forums for GIMP, I was able to learn the program in about half of the time that it has taken me to learn other, lesser programs.
Along with great customer support and tutorials, the interface on GIMP is much easier to get the hang of for beginners and the more time that you put into learning the various functions, the more GIMP grows with your skill level and on top of providing various tutorials, the GIMP community is one of the best communities that I have ever interacted with. Amongst the free editing programs that I have used and even amongst ones that I have paid for, GIMP has been by far the easiest and most reliable one. All of the work that I produce with it has a consistent level of quality and a lot of the functions provided by GIMP have been helpful in helping me to understand more about using techniques. All in all, I would say that for the price, GIMP is an amazing program for a beginner or someone on a budget.

Cons

The thing that I like least about GIMP is probably that in a recent update, a few of the features that I had grown to depend on were taken out which resulted in taking the time to figure out how to proceed. It wasn't a deal-breaking feature, just something that I liked to save time but being that I didn't use it outside of one or two occasions months apart, it wasn't anything that I was willing to stop using GIMP over and I found out how to proceed and get what I needed to do accomplished through searching for help amongst the forums that are set up.

Josip

Great Free alternative for Adobe Photoshop

Reviewed on 18/7/2019

With Gimp I am creating weekly flyers with products from our company. We can save an enormous amount of money by doing this by ourselves and not some external design company.

Pros

Gimp is an open-source image manipulation program what means it is absolutely free to use. Also, you will receive regular updates which add new features and fixes bugs including security issues. It has all the abilities that for example Adobe Photoshop and other commercial programs have. It can offer even more because it is easily extensible and flexible for every environment with lots of great community plugins and scripts.

Cons

The user interface of Gimp is not the most beautiful one but its function is very good. It has a lot of menus and submenus so for beginners it may be a little harder to achieve some more complex operations such as retouch of a face or double exposure. Also, compatibility with Adobe file formats exists but don't except that it works perfectly. Most of the time it works flawlessly if you are opening the document from older versions of Photoshop because newer version needs some updating and updates occur approximately every 2 months which is still faster than what Adobe is doing with their Photoshop.

• Industry: Graphic Design

Lots of capability for no money at all

Reviewed on 29/4/2019

For business applications, it's hard to recommend GIMP for any serious work. While capable, investing in more user-friendly and functional software would be better overall.

Pros

GIMP is an image manipulation program in the same vein as Adobe Photoshop, with many of the same features and tools to allow you to get very similar results to its more professional counterparts.

There are many benefits to being free open source software. On top of serving GIMP for free, the code freely available for viewing and modification. Having many decentralized developers means that many improvements such as features and bug-fixes happen quickly. So long as there are people passionate about the project, development will continue.

Also, documentation and tutorials are plentiful for GIMP, as the community for this program is very passionate. Simple searches will yield basic start-up tutorials as well as advanced tutorials for more complicated tasks.

GIMP development stagnated for a few years, but with more recent development GIMP has made strides to become more modernized and easy to use. In earlier days of GIMP, it wasn't even possible to draw a circle without a significant number of steps, but this and much more has been added to the program!

Cons

GIMP is not as intuitive as competitors like Photoshop, requiring scripting and additional steps to accomplish certain functions.

If you plan to become a designer or graphics artist and need to do image manipulation professionally, then GIMP will hinder your abilities to do so. Software parity is important in the professional world, and while GIMP can handle .PSD files it would be better to just use the first party application that the rest of the industry is using.

GIMP gains a lot of leeway for being free, since there is no development being backed by a major company. The UI is comparatively clunky and features less accessible compared to paid alternatives. Do not think that you'll be getting the same results as easily in GIMP as you would in other programs.

Nimanthi
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

open-source image editing platform

Reviewed on 26/4/2019

Generally, GIMP is an excellent alternative open-source editing platform for professionals. It's free availability on all operating systems enable users to work seamlessly.

Pros

I have been using GIMP for a few years now. Earlier on, my experience with this software was not quite right. Now that I am more advanced in graphics and photo edits, I have come to appreciate this open open-source image editing platform. Believe me, when I say this software is excellent, it is because the results are impeccable. GIMP has it all! Its excellent array of features are so good that they can rival adobe photoshop capabilities. These features allow you to tune photos, images and create an artwork of your own. As a graphic designer, you will be able to seamlessly crop images, make colour adjustments, customises brushes and adjust gradients among others editing. Here are some of the advantages of using Gimp over other image editing software. 1.It has incredible, and quality features making it the best among open -source programs 2.Single-window mode operation which is great for single pc operation. 3.GIMP is 100% free. 4.It supports plenty of image formats such as GIF and PDF. Additionally, GIMP is customizable such that you can add and remove menus or icons on the fly. 5.It is easily extensible to ease image manipulation with the third party. 6.Last but not least, GIMP works efficiently on all major operating systems. Whether you choose Linux or windows, results are always impeccable.

Cons

the script-fu is not user-friendly. GIMP lacks intuition on new users and can make their experience pretty cumbersome. Some filters and effects don't explain or guide how the image should be modified. It would be awesome if it would support PSD photoshop images. It does not open some files such a JPEG.

Luis Ignacio

The most complete emerging program for graphic design.

Reviewed on 23/4/2019

One of the greatest benefits that I have received is having a program that works very well in the main operating systems of the market, which has helped me a lot when meeting requirements in work meetings, in which clients ask me specific improvements in my designs. Another beneficial element for me, and for the companies in which I have been working, is the economic savings, the money is invested in operational improvements, which translates into better service for customers and a better quality of life for workers who can perceive significant improvements.

Pros

I like to have a high-quality program completely free, that has helped me a lot to invest in equipment that I need for my work. Similar programs, such as Photoshop, offer the same thing but the issue of licensing restrains any graphic design entrepreneur who seeks to work. Another aspect that I like very much is that I have the support of a large community, that of free software, which gives me a lot of peace of mind when I do not know any steps at the moment of designing. Many do not know but have a training platform that even certifies your participation, which gives you the advantage to improve your curriculum. Also, its constant updating has allowed me to diversify the formats with which I can work, I have not found any aspect that I can not achieve with Gimp, I am very satisfied with everything it offers me.

Cons

Over the years improve all applications that are contained, I have not found negative aspects that warrant my opinion. On the contrary, I am very happy to have software that cares about its users and does not limit its use with expensive licenses. With great care and respect, I believe it is one of the best options in the market for graphic design workers.

Sébastien

The Best Free Alternative of the past Decade to Any Commercial Image Editing Software

Reviewed on 16/4/2019

The fact that GIMP is freely available on all major operating systems ensures that you can work seamlessly from any computer in the native format provided (XCF) or any other supported format. I have used GIMP many times to edit PDF files, either to add annotations or to conceal confidential information, which is easy to accomplish with a filter such as "Pixelize". For certain programming tasks, it came handy to create paths with the Bezier tool, exporting the information to the SVG format, which can be read with a programming text editor in a breeze. I have also benefited from its great stability, once creating more than a hundred layers on a single image. Since it can handle as many layer groups and layer masks as you wish, it is possible to iterate over one idea over and over again, discarding only specific modifications. There is also a useful "Undo history" tab that takes a visual snapshot of the state of the image at each particular point in time and gives a meaningful name to each step, facilitating the retrieval of a desired state.

Pros

GIMP really has it all: apart from being open source (free) to start with, it supports a plethora of image formats, including animated GIF, PDF, PS, RAW, TIFF and even text (TXT). It features a single-window mode, which is convenient when working with only one monitor, while the multi-window mode is incredibly useful to divide any work being done on two different monitors. It offers many filters and third-party extensions to ease some more tedious aspects of image manipulation. If you are into programming, then you can even take advantage of the exposed libraries, which allow you to programmatically modify images with any tool available in GIMP using Python or Scheme as programming languages. It is also customizable to the core: you can add and remove menus and icons on the fly; you can define the exact resource consumption of the application by specifying details for memory usage and even the number of CPU threads to use; you can have completely distinct configurations for normal mode and full-screen mode; you can create brushes or import from existing creations available online, the same being true with textures; you can configure and add keyboard shortcuts for almost any action you may require to perform and configure many settings to correspond to the default behavior you want in most situations.

Cons

GIMP wasn't made to work with Photoshop images (PSD). It does support them, but the experience isn't as good as with Photoshop. Some types of filters apply many different steps and can't easily be undone, which is sometimes frustrating. Unless you are an expert, the Script-Fu Console is not intuitive at all for newcomers and makes it hard to guess what you can actually do. Some filters and effects won't have a complete description immediately available explaining how the image is expected to be modified. This can be inconvenient when trying out new things, as a few filters take a long time to run and may cause the system to hang for a while depending on how the system allocates priority to the application. On the same subject of filters, it is also hard to guess how long a specific effect may take to render as many filters apply a number of steps in a row, resetting the progress bar at each step. Some filters may also have corner cases to consider, for instance when working on a very large image resolution: when rendering a pattern, it can show signs of incongruence if the image isn't scaled down a bit first.

• Industry: Design

Free Photo-shop Alternative

Reviewed on 7/2/2019

In conclusion, when using Gimp you will learn how to create fantastic site graphics and compelling WEB to graphics. Gimp educational online videos are the best way to learn how to use Gimp.

Pros

GIMP is also known as the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a great photo editing program that is stress-free to use. It has a lot of things to do with unlimited options on what to do for a picture to make it look cool. The wonderful thing is, it's free!
Advantages, As you can expect, GNU Image Manipulation is used to edit images. This program makes photo editing very enjoyable and easy. Sure, there are essential things you should learn before you become an expert, but when you learn these first tips for beginners, you start with the start of stunning photo editing plans. Unlike photo editing, the GNU image manipulation program can also create small videos and animations. Despite the difficulty of creating these images, they are still fascinating and really fun. GNU Image Manipulation is one of the best images editing software available. All you have to do is go to the GIMP site and download it for free. Gimp is always available and updates are often shown with fun things to do and discover them in the program. Another great thing about GNU Image Manipulation is that you can add new things to the program. Unlike waiting for an updated date, you can go ahead and download some plug-ins from their site right away! Also, you can add different fonts and different brushes to the program to make your photo stand out.

Cons

GIMP has limited 8-bit depth, making it an unexpected choice for professional use in the first place. Gimp has disadvantages when compared to Photoshop in trivial issues the fact that it lacks the advantage of color management and does not provide control layers.

Vernessa

GIMP is No Wimp! A Solid Choice for Graphics Work; Robust Toolset Rivals Commercial Counterpart...

Reviewed on 12/8/2018

Overall, GIMP is a fine open source replacement for PhotoShop and some of the other expensive creative suites. For a layperson who occasionally designs a banner or image for their website, GIMP is probably overkill and downright daunting. But for a graphics design artist or someone who likes to dabble, the toolset is robust, with elements to rival its commercial counterparts.

I don't mind dabbling and doing my own simple graphics. As an open source proponent, I like using tools that give you the freedom to do with them as you please. For example, I use GIMP on both Windows and Linux platforms.

GIMP has been a staple in my toolchest for many years. Its a solid choice for heavier graphics work; I use it alongside simpler tools (like screenshot utilities) and in conjunction with snazzier tools like Canva.

Pros

powerful punch: The GNU Image Manipulation Program.)

GIMP is software you install on your computer. To my knowledge there is no SaaS (online software-as-a-service) counterpart.

As a regular Linux user one huge benefit for me is that GIMP was initially created for the Linux environment. But unlike many Linux programs, GIMP has a true Windows version that is not poorly ported over. It's as elegant on Windows as it is on Linux. There are no penalties for installing GIMP on each and every computer you own and I've never encountered problems when mixing and matching the files from different flavors (i.e., Windows or Linux).

It's rock steady; I don't remember a time when GIMP actually crashed. And if you are ready to exit, GIMP always reminds you to save any unsaved changes to your designs.

GIMP has a simple uncluttered interface. "Simple interface" is relative; many menu items have dockable windows (like its commercial counterparts) so managing the various docking windows is what will keep it simple and uncluttered.

One of the first things I ever used GIMP for was to import and edit some graphics saved in PhotoShop. I'm not a designer so I don't understand what half the tools do; I use only a few of the many features on a regular basis.

Primarily I use it for quick web graphics, banners and graphics for blog articles, converting images to different formats, and sometimes to take screenshots (but others screenshot tools are quicker and more intuitive).

Cons

It would be nice to have a few "modes" that hide or reveal tools based on your anticipated usage. For example, a "novice" interface mode would be nice.

The help system is decent but is a bit cryptic and designed for the designer (not a layperson). I would love to see better intuitive context-sensitive help. For example, hovering over a tool would give a much more understandable explanation.

The screenshot tool could be more accessible (when not working in GIMP).