GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

4.4 (3,067)
Open-source and on-premise image manipulation software

(3,067)
4.8/5
4.3/5
3.9/5
4.0/5

Deepak M.

GIMP (GNU Image Management Program) review

Reviewed on 17/5/2022

Pros

GIMP is very powerful and can do just about everything that other raster image manipulation software can do and more. It is free to use, since it is open source software. There are plenty of videos and tutorials available to help the user achieve a particular effect. The software can read a large number of formats. Plug-ins to achieve specific results are easily available online and are easy to install.

Cons

The program takes a bit of time to load. If load time can be improved the software will be truly amazing.

Adobe Photoshop and CorelDRAW

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

GIMP is free to install and use and has all the features required for general image manipulation. Plug-ins are easily available for additional uses. Text tutorials and videos are available for users to achieve various effects.
Nsanzabaganwa C.
  • Industry: Publishing

Free but powerful photo editing software

Reviewed on 16/6/2022

Pros

Fast and smooth. Interface is user friendly and won't take you long to master.
GIMP is cross-platform, works on different operating systems, and is lighter unlike Pixelmator that works only on Apple devices and Photoshop that is heavy and expensive.
GIMP provides Pro features, such as painting, effects, brushing etc... for free that are expensive in other competitors

Cons

GIMP is limited by the lack of support for phone/mobile device usage. If you want to work on the photos on the go. You will need to switch.

Nitin S.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Remarkable easy to use photo editing software for beginners

Reviewed on 21/4/2022

Overall gimp is nice to have software for designers but its a life savour for deveopers who needs lots of images to add on websites. Its best for linux system and really helpful for developers and beginners.

Pros

Even if it lacks features, I loved that I can import photoshop plugins in gimp and extends its capability. Ultimately it reolace photoshop on Linux system for high end photo editing work.

Also its really easy to learn the software even if you don't have any design background.

Cons

For large file size system gets freezed or slowed down. Needs restarting several times resulting frustration.

Their online version needs lots of improvements like uploading and exporting multiple formats.

Framer and Figma

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Canva is a freemium online tool that requires premium subscription to export high quality files. Gimp is free to use editing tool and hence made mw switch to this.

Canva
Francisco C.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

A great, for free, app to help you drawing and managing photos

Reviewed on 23/6/2022

My experience using this app is very good.

Pros

It is relatevely easy to use, although, sometimes you need some help to find some features. In general, it is a good tool if you want to draw, and, for sure, if you are trying to improve or change photos.

Cons

It, sometimes, need to be a bit more clear about how to do use some the many tools it has in it.

Sigurn V.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Free yet powerfull tool for the advanced editor.

Reviewed on 25/5/2022

I'm capable to edit all the pictures we need for our company, work with layers and advanced tools, and this for free... except the time you need to invest in working with it. But this would also be the case with payed software.
I'll recommend it anytime!

Pros

You have a lot of tools at hand to edit pictures. Not photoshop level, bur far beyond standard editing tools that come with your PC.
... and it's free of charge. Which is considering the frequency I'm using it, certainly important.

Cons

There is a treshold to be overcome, before you can start working with it.
If you want to just adjust the color balance or other basic stuff, then this isn't the tool for you.

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

I still use it for quick changes, but I wanted to do more than what Paint.net can do.

Te price tag.
Brian S.
  • Industry: Libraries

Has most of what you need

Reviewed on 28/4/2022

You can't argue with the price, so it's worth a shot. I almost always find myself coming back to use GIMP after trying other tools. At times it's frustrating to accomplish what should be a simple task, but it can be done. And there are more online tutorials than you can shake a stick at.

Pros

For the majority of average users, this has more than enough to do the job. If your main goal is to edit for web use, you'll be able to accomplish just about anything.

Cons

There is definitely a learning curve to this software, and it isn't exactly intuitive. If you're relatively familiar with advanced tools, you can fumble your way around. It does lack some of the required features that some professional users might need.

Pixlr

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

I still use some of the others in conjunction, especially if I just need to make a quick edit. However, there are some things GIMP does better.
Priscila S.

Excellent photo handler

Reviewed on 16/6/2022

Use from simple photo changes to transformations to do laser engraving work.

Pros

Large number of tools and community that helps with tutorials.

Cons

One disadvantage is that I find the program heavy, but nothing out of the ordinary for this type of software.

• Industry: Media Production

Solid free alternative to PhotoShop

Reviewed on 5/5/2022

It's a solid choice for a budget, non-cloud PhotoShop alternative.

Pros

GIMP is not PhotoShop. But it comes really really close. There's a plugin called GimpShop you can get that changes the menus to be nearly identical, if you're used to PhotoShop but don't have the budget for it.

Cons

It's not PhotoShop. If you're used to PhotoShop, this is not it. There's ways to make its interface more like PS, but not 100%. The interface is a bit clunky and unix-like. But these are all minor issues from the benefits received.

Adobe Photoshop and Pixlr

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

GIMP is far cheaper than an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription. Online photo editors aren't always fast enough, so a desktop alternative is better.
Gina D.

Gimp Review

Reviewed on 27/4/2022

Awesome experience!

Pros

Scissors feature is the most impactful. I love how close it gets to the lines I need to cut.

Cons

Little hard to learn. Took more time than I would've liked.

Inkscape

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Liked 5he layout much better. Easier to use.
Joshua T.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Doesn't get much better

Reviewed on 17/2/2022

This software has been a godsend to my art.
No more making ten versions of something and then extracting outlines by hand, using hundreds of dollars in expensive colored pencils to adjust an unwanted color scheme, wasting all that time and damaging nerves for what is not a quick selection away.

Pros

Quick tools for removing unwanted colors from images for monochrome printing. It's a huge time and money saver in the tattoo industry. I can pull a full color image and have a basic outline stripped in less than two minutes.

Cons

Text on a path.
The bane of my existence is the massive effort it takes to print text on a simple curve in GIMP.
It's the ONLY thing I dislike about it.

Adobe Photoshop Elements

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Price point and licensing issues with EULA

Price and better EULA
Robert F.
  • Industry: Online Media

GIMP Rocks My World Everyday, and It Will Do the Same For You, Too!

Reviewed on 14/2/2022

I click on the GIMP icon on my laptop taskbar everyday, and that takes about ten seconds for GIMP to be ready to go. I can pop an image in with one Control V, and I am ready to go. Or I can bring up a project with one click. It is super easy to use. And there is some serious functional power under the hood of GIMP. Yes, there is a learning curve, like I've mentioned, but it just is not that big a deal, at least for me...and I am not some super brain, either. Okay, so I give GIMP my Two Thumbs Up Award for what I do. I use it a lot, and if you haven't been using GIMP, load it up and start using it.

Pros

What I like about this software is I can use it on my own laptop and it doesn't require a huge amount of storage space and it is freeware, and I love all the stuff I can do. I keep finding out things I can do that make me one happy image creator.
I work a lot with images and so one thing for sure is how I can quickly and efficiently remove backgrounds or grab part of the image that I want to use. GIMP gives me at least five different ways I can do this. I can go on and on about what I can do with GIMP when it comes to taking an image and layering other images, and coming up with some fairly decent and unique designs.

Cons

Hmmm. Well, the there is a learning curve. And, yeah, I'd love it if I could just wave my magic pen and, hey, presto! --- the job was done exactly the way I want. But part of the process of creating images is inside the process of using the tools, and finding new and super cool ways to do something. What I mean is that by getting deep into GIMP and messing about, I have stumbled on some results that have made me some original images that help me get eyes on the prize...you know, converts visitors into return visitors, and into customers.

• Industry: Design

Free and Open Source Photoshop Alternative

Reviewed on 1/9/2021

From large outdoor displays to business cards and websites layouts, GIMP has got us covered here at the studio. It is our go to application for graphics manipulation and everytime we need to edit or create an image from scratch, this is where we go for.

Pros

The ease of use and installation make GIMP a no brainer for a small design studio like ours. It is very similar to the Adobe Photoshop Suite, lacking some resources but still very strong for daily tasks.

Cons

The lack of resources would be the most negative part, but there are many workarounds combining other free softwares like Krita and Inkscape that make it well worth a try. The investment is time to learn and get comfortable at using it.

Affinity Photo

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

It is just better for our workflow as we can all use at the same time in the studio with a free license.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

The 0 price tag was what won us here. Affinity Suite is very good and I use it for personal projects but at the Studio we use GIMP as our main Image Manipulation Software.
Joel G.
  • Industry: Animation

Gimp: Illustration and Photo Editing for Everyone

Reviewed on 27/6/2020

Gimp is a resource with endless possibilities. As an artist I use this program to create textures for character models both in cartoon and realistic styles. I’ve used Gimp to create 2D animations which were later imported into a UI (User Interface). I’ve gone as far as create digital portraits for clients. This software is flexible and reliable and I have continued to use it for over 5 years now.

Pros

As an illustration and image editing program, the advantage that Gimp provides is software that rivals Adobe’s Photoshop.

Users can create illustrations from scratch utilizing various brushes and a palette that allows users to manipulate bit depth and color settings such as RGB and CMYK.

Gimp can edit several image files including GIFs, PNGs and JPEGs. The program goes a step further and allows users to import PSD files a format native to Photoshop. If a designer cannot access Photoshop and they have a PSD they can resume work in Gimp.

Using a drawing or image, 3D modelers and animators can craft tileable textures in Gimp. Users can view the final result without saving over the original file.

Lastly additional pros of Gimp are that the program is free to download, it does not require that users log into a service to use it and it can run on lower end computers.

Cons

The program comes with a steep learning curve. There are several buttons and menus that may intimidate first time users. However with time this program can be mastered. Also the Gimp website features several resources to assist in learning the software.

• Industry: Research
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Take the time to learn, and GIMP is rewarding

Reviewed on 13/10/2019

For me, GIMP was a replacement for Photoshop. That being said, I've been totally impressed by the way GIMP has grown over the years. In its current iteration, GIMP can accomplish any image editing task I've thrown at it -- often, this required me to spend time learning how to best accomplish that task in GIMP, but that time has always been rewarded with high quality outputs. Still, I have probably spent as much time fumbling around in confusing with GIMP as I have actually working.

Pros

Unlike a number of other free image manipulation programs, GIMP is both extremely powerful and (relatively) simple to use. Users of Photoshop will not find it to be the most difficult transition. GIMP has just about every feature an average or casual user could want from an image editor. GIMP works well not just for editing photos, but also for digital drawing and graphic design. In most regards for most users, GIMP can do whatever Photoshop or other commercial programs can. That being said, the functionality of GIMP should not be perceived as Photoshop lite. GIMP offers more tools, brushes, presets, etc than an average will ever need, and that's before installing any extensions. My current work requires minimal graphic design work -- largely infographics and visual representations of data -- and GIMP has every tool I could possibly need to produce data visuals / improve those produced by other software.

Cons

While GIMP has become more user friendly over the years, there are two points new users may find intimidating. First GIMP -- as the full name suggests -- is part of the GNU/Linux lineage and ethos. Users unfamiliar with all this will probably be confused, especially as it relates to saving proprietary formats. Beyond that, amateur image editors will probably find themselves overwhelmed by all of the tools offered by GIMP. Some of these basic tools work in unexpected ways based on prior knowledge of other software -- on its face this isn't problematic, but the different way of operating sometimes isn't logical. New users will likely find themselves bewildered by the breadth of menu options, and the sub-options that go with them. I am certain of this, being that I've been using GIMP for years and I still occasionally find myself confused.

Carlos C.
  • Industry: Research

The image editing software that almost everyone should be using (instead of Photoshop)

Reviewed on 22/8/2019

Whereas some people consider GIMP as a toy software, or a cheap (free) Photoshop replacement, it is not. Instead, GIMP has proven to be a capable, professional software that does not want to be a mere Photoshop clone. On the contrary, they do have their own roadmap, own shortcuts and
their own user interface, and even some successful plugins and features of its own (such as resynthesizer) have been later integrated in Photoshop. Whereas some consider it as being difficult to learn or not user-friendly, it is in fact a proof that it follows its own path to success.
While I admit that from time to time I do miss some of Photoshop features, like non-destructive operations or basic vector operations, I am confident that GIMP fits in the great majority user cases without compromising final results.

Pros

I have been using GIMP for many years for my image editing projects (both, pet projects and professional projects) and I have come to realize that it features such an enormous variety of toolboxes, filters, options... that allow any type of image editing, even really complex ones, with impeccable results. Consequently, there is no need to switch to other software like Photoshop or the like. Not to mention that it is a multi-plattform Free/Libre OpenSource Software.

Some features I like the most of GIMP
- Multi-plattform: available for Linux, Windows, Mac, portable...
- FLOSS
- Customizable user interface
- Selection and manipulation tools (like Unified Transform tool)
- Real-time edition
- Professional results

Additionally, recently GIMP has seen a major improvement on user interface that makes it even easier (and appealing) to use.

Cons

- Small development team with small budget: as a result development happens at a slow pace, even though developers do have great ideas and roadmap.
- Lacks non-destructive filters/effects like in Photoshop
- Lacks some vector operations (only works with bitmaps)
- While there is plenty of documentation and tutorials, most image editing tutorials and manuals are addressed to Photoshop only, and whereas in most cases the same techniques can be reproduced/adapted, it requires extra effort that some users do not want to make.
- The fact that it is not so broadly used as Photoshop may be a problem if collaborating with others, even though GIMP opens and saves Photoshop's native file format (although, admittedly, some filters/effects may be lost).

John M.
  • Industry: Entertainment

GIMP is where it's at for beginners!

Reviewed on 27/8/2019

Overall, I have had nothing short of an enjoyable experience using GIMP over the past few years. It is versatile enough that I can use it for everything from making flyers and posters to making thumbnails and title card art for YouTube and Facebook videos.
For someone with a limited budget and even more limited technical knowledge when I began, I could not be happier with GIMP and still use it to this day for ninety percent of my projects.

Pros

GIMP offers quite a bit as far as options and competes with some programs out there that can cost sixty dollars or more. When I began using the program, I was brand new to graphic design and generally making artwork and editing visual media on a PC. Through the use of tutorials and other sources that I was able to find on the official forums for GIMP, I was able to learn the program in about half of the time that it has taken me to learn other, lesser programs.
Along with great customer support and tutorials, the interface on GIMP is much easier to get the hang of for beginners and the more time that you put into learning the various functions, the more GIMP grows with your skill level and on top of providing various tutorials, the GIMP community is one of the best communities that I have ever interacted with. Amongst the free editing programs that I have used and even amongst ones that I have paid for, GIMP has been by far the easiest and most reliable one. All of the work that I produce with it has a consistent level of quality and a lot of the functions provided by GIMP have been helpful in helping me to understand more about using techniques. All in all, I would say that for the price, GIMP is an amazing program for a beginner or someone on a budget.

Cons

The thing that I like least about GIMP is probably that in a recent update, a few of the features that I had grown to depend on were taken out which resulted in taking the time to figure out how to proceed. It wasn't a deal-breaking feature, just something that I liked to save time but being that I didn't use it outside of one or two occasions months apart, it wasn't anything that I was willing to stop using GIMP over and I found out how to proceed and get what I needed to do accomplished through searching for help amongst the forums that are set up.

Josip L.

Great Free alternative for Adobe Photoshop

Reviewed on 18/7/2019

With Gimp I am creating weekly flyers with products from our company. We can save an enormous amount of money by doing this by ourselves and not some external design company.

Pros

Gimp is an open-source image manipulation program what means it is absolutely free to use. Also, you will receive regular updates which add new features and fixes bugs including security issues. It has all the abilities that for example Adobe Photoshop and other commercial programs have. It can offer even more because it is easily extensible and flexible for every environment with lots of great community plugins and scripts.

Cons

The user interface of Gimp is not the most beautiful one but its function is very good. It has a lot of menus and submenus so for beginners it may be a little harder to achieve some more complex operations such as retouch of a face or double exposure. Also, compatibility with Adobe file formats exists but don't except that it works perfectly. Most of the time it works flawlessly if you are opening the document from older versions of Photoshop because newer version needs some updating and updates occur approximately every 2 months which is still faster than what Adobe is doing with their Photoshop.

• Industry: Graphic Design

Lots of capability for no money at all

Reviewed on 29/4/2019

For business applications, it's hard to recommend GIMP for any serious work. While capable, investing in more user-friendly and functional software would be better overall.

Pros

GIMP is an image manipulation program in the same vein as Adobe Photoshop, with many of the same features and tools to allow you to get very similar results to its more professional counterparts.

There are many benefits to being free open source software. On top of serving GIMP for free, the code freely available for viewing and modification. Having many decentralized developers means that many improvements such as features and bug-fixes happen quickly. So long as there are people passionate about the project, development will continue.

Also, documentation and tutorials are plentiful for GIMP, as the community for this program is very passionate. Simple searches will yield basic start-up tutorials as well as advanced tutorials for more complicated tasks.

GIMP development stagnated for a few years, but with more recent development GIMP has made strides to become more modernized and easy to use. In earlier days of GIMP, it wasn't even possible to draw a circle without a significant number of steps, but this and much more has been added to the program!

Cons

GIMP is not as intuitive as competitors like Photoshop, requiring scripting and additional steps to accomplish certain functions.

If you plan to become a designer or graphics artist and need to do image manipulation professionally, then GIMP will hinder your abilities to do so. Software parity is important in the professional world, and while GIMP can handle .PSD files it would be better to just use the first party application that the rest of the industry is using.

GIMP gains a lot of leeway for being free, since there is no development being backed by a major company. The UI is comparatively clunky and features less accessible compared to paid alternatives. Do not think that you'll be getting the same results as easily in GIMP as you would in other programs.

Nimanthi R.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

open-source image editing platform

Reviewed on 26/4/2019

Generally, GIMP is an excellent alternative open-source editing platform for professionals. It's free availability on all operating systems enable users to work seamlessly.

Pros

I have been using GIMP for a few years now. Earlier on, my experience with this software was not quite right. Now that I am more advanced in graphics and photo edits, I have come to appreciate this open open-source image editing platform. Believe me, when I say this software is excellent, it is because the results are impeccable. GIMP has it all! Its excellent array of features are so good that they can rival adobe photoshop capabilities. These features allow you to tune photos, images and create an artwork of your own. As a graphic designer, you will be able to seamlessly crop images, make colour adjustments, customises brushes and adjust gradients among others editing. Here are some of the advantages of using Gimp over other image editing software. 1.It has incredible, and quality features making it the best among open -source programs 2.Single-window mode operation which is great for single pc operation. 3.GIMP is 100% free. 4.It supports plenty of image formats such as GIF and PDF. Additionally, GIMP is customizable such that you can add and remove menus or icons on the fly. 5.It is easily extensible to ease image manipulation with the third party. 6.Last but not least, GIMP works efficiently on all major operating systems. Whether you choose Linux or windows, results are always impeccable.

Cons

the script-fu is not user-friendly. GIMP lacks intuition on new users and can make their experience pretty cumbersome. Some filters and effects don't explain or guide how the image should be modified. It would be awesome if it would support PSD photoshop images. It does not open some files such a JPEG.

Luis ignacio C.

The most complete emerging program for graphic design.

Reviewed on 23/4/2019

One of the greatest benefits that I have received is having a program that works very well in the main operating systems of the market, which has helped me a lot when meeting requirements in work meetings, in which clients ask me specific improvements in my designs. Another beneficial element for me, and for the companies in which I have been working, is the economic savings, the money is invested in operational improvements, which translates into better service for customers and a better quality of life for workers who can perceive significant improvements.

Pros

I like to have a high-quality program completely free, that has helped me a lot to invest in equipment that I need for my work. Similar programs, such as Photoshop, offer the same thing but the issue of licensing restrains any graphic design entrepreneur who seeks to work. Another aspect that I like very much is that I have the support of a large community, that of free software, which gives me a lot of peace of mind when I do not know any steps at the moment of designing. Many do not know but have a training platform that even certifies your participation, which gives you the advantage to improve your curriculum. Also, its constant updating has allowed me to diversify the formats with which I can work, I have not found any aspect that I can not achieve with Gimp, I am very satisfied with everything it offers me.

Cons

Over the years improve all applications that are contained, I have not found negative aspects that warrant my opinion. On the contrary, I am very happy to have software that cares about its users and does not limit its use with expensive licenses. With great care and respect, I believe it is one of the best options in the market for graphic design workers.

Sébastien L.

The Best Free Alternative of the past Decade to Any Commercial Image Editing Software

Reviewed on 16/4/2019

The fact that GIMP is freely available on all major operating systems ensures that you can work seamlessly from any computer in the native format provided (XCF) or any other supported format. I have used GIMP many times to edit PDF files, either to add annotations or to conceal confidential information, which is easy to accomplish with a filter such as "Pixelize". For certain programming tasks, it came handy to create paths with the Bezier tool, exporting the information to the SVG format, which can be read with a programming text editor in a breeze. I have also benefited from its great stability, once creating more than a hundred layers on a single image. Since it can handle as many layer groups and layer masks as you wish, it is possible to iterate over one idea over and over again, discarding only specific modifications. There is also a useful "Undo history" tab that takes a visual snapshot of the state of the image at each particular point in time and gives a meaningful name to each step, facilitating the retrieval of a desired state.

Pros

GIMP really has it all: apart from being open source (free) to start with, it supports a plethora of image formats, including animated GIF, PDF, PS, RAW, TIFF and even text (TXT). It features a single-window mode, which is convenient when working with only one monitor, while the multi-window mode is incredibly useful to divide any work being done on two different monitors. It offers many filters and third-party extensions to ease some more tedious aspects of image manipulation. If you are into programming, then you can even take advantage of the exposed libraries, which allow you to programmatically modify images with any tool available in GIMP using Python or Scheme as programming languages. It is also customizable to the core: you can add and remove menus and icons on the fly; you can define the exact resource consumption of the application by specifying details for memory usage and even the number of CPU threads to use; you can have completely distinct configurations for normal mode and full-screen mode; you can create brushes or import from existing creations available online, the same being true with textures; you can configure and add keyboard shortcuts for almost any action you may require to perform and configure many settings to correspond to the default behavior you want in most situations.

Cons

GIMP wasn't made to work with Photoshop images (PSD). It does support them, but the experience isn't as good as with Photoshop. Some types of filters apply many different steps and can't easily be undone, which is sometimes frustrating. Unless you are an expert, the Script-Fu Console is not intuitive at all for newcomers and makes it hard to guess what you can actually do. Some filters and effects won't have a complete description immediately available explaining how the image is expected to be modified. This can be inconvenient when trying out new things, as a few filters take a long time to run and may cause the system to hang for a while depending on how the system allocates priority to the application. On the same subject of filters, it is also hard to guess how long a specific effect may take to render as many filters apply a number of steps in a row, resetting the progress bar at each step. Some filters may also have corner cases to consider, for instance when working on a very large image resolution: when rendering a pattern, it can show signs of incongruence if the image isn't scaled down a bit first.

• Industry: Design

Free Photo-shop Alternative

Reviewed on 7/2/2019

In conclusion, when using Gimp you will learn how to create fantastic site graphics and compelling WEB to graphics. Gimp educational online videos are the best way to learn how to use Gimp.

Pros

GIMP is also known as the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a great photo editing program that is stress-free to use. It has a lot of things to do with unlimited options on what to do for a picture to make it look cool. The wonderful thing is, it's free!
Advantages, As you can expect, GNU Image Manipulation is used to edit images. This program makes photo editing very enjoyable and easy. Sure, there are essential things you should learn before you become an expert, but when you learn these first tips for beginners, you start with the start of stunning photo editing plans. Unlike photo editing, the GNU image manipulation program can also create small videos and animations. Despite the difficulty of creating these images, they are still fascinating and really fun. GNU Image Manipulation is one of the best images editing software available. All you have to do is go to the GIMP site and download it for free. Gimp is always available and updates are often shown with fun things to do and discover them in the program. Another great thing about GNU Image Manipulation is that you can add new things to the program. Unlike waiting for an updated date, you can go ahead and download some plug-ins from their site right away! Also, you can add different fonts and different brushes to the program to make your photo stand out.

Cons

GIMP has limited 8-bit depth, making it an unexpected choice for professional use in the first place. Gimp has disadvantages when compared to Photoshop in trivial issues the fact that it lacks the advantage of color management and does not provide control layers.

Vernessa T.

GIMP is No Wimp! A Solid Choice for Graphics Work; Robust Toolset Rivals Commercial Counterpart...

Reviewed on 12/8/2018

Overall, GIMP is a fine open source replacement for PhotoShop and some of the other expensive creative suites. For a layperson who occasionally designs a banner or image for their website, GIMP is probably overkill and downright daunting. But for a graphics design artist or someone who likes to dabble, the toolset is robust, with elements to rival its commercial counterparts.

I don't mind dabbling and doing my own simple graphics. As an open source proponent, I like using tools that give you the freedom to do with them as you please. For example, I use GIMP on both Windows and Linux platforms.

GIMP has been a staple in my toolchest for many years. Its a solid choice for heavier graphics work; I use it alongside simpler tools (like screenshot utilities) and in conjunction with snazzier tools like Canva.

Pros

powerful punch: The GNU Image Manipulation Program.)

GIMP is software you install on your computer. To my knowledge there is no SaaS (online software-as-a-service) counterpart.

As a regular Linux user one huge benefit for me is that GIMP was initially created for the Linux environment. But unlike many Linux programs, GIMP has a true Windows version that is not poorly ported over. It's as elegant on Windows as it is on Linux. There are no penalties for installing GIMP on each and every computer you own and I've never encountered problems when mixing and matching the files from different flavors (i.e., Windows or Linux).

It's rock steady; I don't remember a time when GIMP actually crashed. And if you are ready to exit, GIMP always reminds you to save any unsaved changes to your designs.

GIMP has a simple uncluttered interface. "Simple interface" is relative; many menu items have dockable windows (like its commercial counterparts) so managing the various docking windows is what will keep it simple and uncluttered.

One of the first things I ever used GIMP for was to import and edit some graphics saved in PhotoShop. I'm not a designer so I don't understand what half the tools do; I use only a few of the many features on a regular basis.

Primarily I use it for quick web graphics, banners and graphics for blog articles, converting images to different formats, and sometimes to take screenshots (but others screenshot tools are quicker and more intuitive).

Cons

It would be nice to have a few "modes" that hide or reveal tools based on your anticipated usage. For example, a "novice" interface mode would be nice.

The help system is decent but is a bit cryptic and designed for the designer (not a layperson). I would love to see better intuitive context-sensitive help. For example, hovering over a tool would give a much more understandable explanation.

The screenshot tool could be more accessible (when not working in GIMP).

Aníbal M.

My experience with GIMP has been great, very professional image editing with impeccable results

Reviewed on 7/7/2018

GIMP has brought me many benefits in recent years, I have edited in record time images for the websites that I have designed, I have made business cards for professionals, being a web programmer knowing that GIMP has complemented me allows to offer web pages without having to always resort to a professional designer, which reduces the costs of my projects for the end customers, in my work in the company has served me to perform specific tasks when working with web pages. I am very happy with this software that has been very useful for years and has taken me out of trouble. My bosses and clients are happy with my work. Surely I will continue using GIMP for many years.

Pros

I have been using this software for many years to edit images and perform work at the request of my clients in my work as an independent professional, retouching images, banners, logos, among many other things that I have been able to do without complications with GIMP, this application is free , I can use it perfectly without cost, this advantage is very important for me, I love that there are versions for Windows and Linux, since it is possible to install it from repositories, it is easy and it does not waste time searching the Internet, it has many options that include the possibility of programming your own filters this option Although it is very advanced for me, it seems excellent for the future. Another thing that I like about this software is light, I have been able to run it without problems on computers with very few resources, this has got me out of trouble on more than one occasion. It is important that there is a good amount of extras, like filters and brushes, that can be downloaded from the Internet completely free, I like that a lot.

Cons

What I like least about GIMP is that the existing documentation is very little in English and even less in Spanish, most of its users are German or Russian and the information you have is not good for me, the GIMP community is very small . It is difficult to find someone who will really help you if you have a problem or do not know how to do a particular task. The additional components that can be downloaded from the Internet are free, but not many. It is necessary to perform a manual work in other applications are performed automatically. It has functions that are very advanced and not very intuitive, it has cost me to discover some functions on my own. The graphical interface seems a little sloppy, this could improve to make it more attractive for a larger group of people.

Martin C.

Mr

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Free Photoshop replacement!

Pros

GIMP can do just about anything Photoshop can do, plus a few of it's own unique tricks. It easily converts between image formats including SVG files, and can read & write Photoshop PSD files. GIMP can also import Photoshop color pallet files.

Some examples of GIMP's advanced features include layer styles (various effects that you can apply including shadows, borders, an emboss effect, and more), content-aware resizing (resize background elements without affecting foreground object), face swap, change object colors, cartoonify your photos, and create animated GIFs. Other useful features include red eye removal, make your own watermark, create custom brushes, and remove colors from some objects (like background).

There are many useful plugins you can add to extend GIMP's functionality, for example image compression for web, and batch processing for adding a change to many files automatically. The PSPI plugin the adds the ability to use third party Photoshop plugin filters within GIMP on Windows and Linux.

There is also GIMP Portable, a no-install, portable version of GIMP. GIMP Portable can be added to a USB key or hard drive drive, letting you bring the image editor with you. You can keep your favorite plugins and brushes with this package in order to have your entire working suite of image tools with you.

GIMP is open source and has a large, active community of developers and users. This means GIMP will continue to evolve but will remain free for all.

Cons

As is the case with a lot of free software, some features feel less polished than their commercial counterparts. Some user interface elements may not appear as pixel-perfect as Photoshop, and some interactive features not as smooth. While the GIMP on a Mac feels more stable, the Windows version can be buggy and prone to crashing when using some plugins. The Windows version can also be very slow to start on older PCs, especially when you have a lot of plugins installed.

I think the most common critique I've heard about GIMP is the steep learning curve. In my experience, GIMP wasn't really any harder to learn than Photoshop but a lot of users find Photoshop to be more user friendly. In some ways I agree, for example Photoshop seems to be better at guessing where I want to crop an image, or where I'm trying to position a layer so I spend less time fiddling with these controls.

Photoshop also feels faster than GIMP when run on the same Windows PC. Loading images, and launching plugins are noticeably slower, although batch processing is at least as fast as Photoshop.