GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Reviews

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

4.4 (3,431)
Open-source and on-premise image manipulation software

(3,431)

Mohammad
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

An Exceptionally Well-made Software

Reviewed on 4/2/2022

In terms of what the software has to offer, GIMP prevails in many areas against some of the competition given its plethora of features & ease of use. While there were just a few shortcomings I noticed in the software, they never hindered my overall experience when accomplishing my work.

Pros

Given my last year or so of using GIMP, this is hands down my most preferable image-editing software. For the beginner or novice user such as myself, this program covers all the essentials such as brushes & patterns, selection tools, & edit photos in various formats - free of charge. As a structural engineer, I'd often find myself refining my on-site captured photos via removing residual objects or persons & occasionally adjusting the image contrast before sending them to the client. In my line of work, GIMP is a necessary tool to have.

Cons

One of my main gripes against GIMP is that it's impossible to select multiple layers which can sometimes be cumbersome. Furthermore, I've had a few crashes on some instances when importing high-res, 5K photos.

Michael
  • Industry: Entertainment

The best free image editing software

Reviewed on 14/9/2023

I downloaded it after using photoshop and I got used to it quickly after switching. I never had any problems outside if a folder has thousands of items in it, when choosing to make an export to name the export and to choose what file type it will be, it loads every file name into the browser which can make it lag if there is over thousands of items in the folder being opened.

Pros

It's fully free and it's designed to be quick to learn and use. Missing some settings photoshop has, but overall does the same job or better.

Cons

Missing some of the bigger features of photoshop and the extensions. But in most cases they aren't needed for most needs.

Andrew
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Its just not photoshop

Reviewed on 24/1/2024

Pros

It's free. The site relies upon donations.

Cons

It's just not adobe photoshop, but what do you expect for the price

Robert
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

GIMP for Image Editing

Reviewed on 16/11/2023

Pros

GIMP does what "theirs" does for free. The interface is easier to navigate than the competing products. Many add-ons are available for free or to purchase reasonably, making it customizable.

Cons

Sometimes processing of multiple changes to large images or multiple layers takes a while to complete, but this is still only seconds.

Pablo
Pablo

Impressive image editing solution

Reviewed on 14/9/2023

Pros

It provides all the tools of a paid professional image editing software with an open source license.

Cons

It has not the same level of consistent high quality educative material (videos, tutorials, etc.) to learn new functionalities.

Adobe Photoshop

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

I need functionalities I could not find in Paint and I didn't want to paid an expensive (at that time) license for Corel Draw or Photoshop.

Paint 3D and Adobe Photoshop

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

It has everything I need and more.
Gerard
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

GIMP evaluation

Reviewed on 9/8/2023

I use GIMP is most of my image editing functions. I rarely have to revert to other imaging software for my imaging work.

Pros

It is inexpensive, in some instances free, and contains many if not most of the important features that other more costly image apps provide.

Cons

Not a critical issue if you are accustomed to complex imaging software, but could be intimidating the the casual inexperienced user.

• Industry: Graphic Design
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great product and not cost prohibitive

Reviewed on 15/11/2023

Great product and much cheaper than Adobe programs

Great product and much cheaper than Adobe programs

Pros

GIMP is easy to use and allows me to use so many advanced graphic design techniques. It's a necessary tool for my graphic design side of the business

Cons

I wish some of the add-ons were easier to load, but overall it is terrific!

Krissy
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Great free option for image editing

Reviewed on 21/5/2023

Pros

I like that it works on different platforms and is open source. I have yet to encounter a feature or option I need that doesn't exist within this software. My main use is resizing and minor touch ups and edits for social media graphics.

Cons

There is a big learning curve, and this software doesn't look as nice as other options.

Christian
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

GIMP-Great edit tool for Image manipulation

Reviewed on 24/1/2024

I enjoy using it though. As a graphics designer, I use a lot of tools, GIMP is one of them

Pros

It's simplicity, ease of deployment and of course it is affordable

Cons

Unfortunately, it can't be compared to tools like Adobe Photoshop, and Pixelmator...some tools are still missing

Ace

Amazing app for photography

Reviewed on 28/1/2024

I over all love the program and the way it is. You can do a lot of things with it

Pros

I love the idea of a program accessible by all people and careers.

Cons

It is a little complicated. That’s one thing that bothers me

• Industry: Design

Free and Open Source Photoshop Alternative

Reviewed on 1/9/2021

From large outdoor displays to business cards and websites layouts, GIMP has got us covered here at the studio. It is our go to application for graphics manipulation and everytime we need to edit or create an image from scratch, this is where we go for.

Pros

The ease of use and installation make GIMP a no brainer for a small design studio like ours. It is very similar to the Adobe Photoshop Suite, lacking some resources but still very strong for daily tasks.

Cons

The lack of resources would be the most negative part, but there are many workarounds combining other free softwares like Krita and Inkscape that make it well worth a try. The investment is time to learn and get comfortable at using it.

Affinity Photo

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

It is just better for our workflow as we can all use at the same time in the studio with a free license.

Adobe Photoshop

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

The 0 price tag was what won us here. Affinity Suite is very good and I use it for personal projects but at the Studio we use GIMP as our main Image Manipulation Software.
John

Top quality free Adobe Photoshop substitute

Reviewed on 30/10/2019

It's fairly easy to use if you've used and are familiar with Photoshop and the like. We use it for all of our image and graphic manipulation. It's fast, easy and free. For our needs I could never justify paying several hundreds of dollars for Photoshop (industry leader or not).

Pros

Gimp can do almost everything that Photoshop can do for free. I'm not much of a power user but it's amazing what it can do. I often look for features to use just because I can and because the visual effects can be so interesting. It has really evolved over the years with features and improvements in ease of use. With the last update to v2 it runs much faster on Windows 10 and is more efficient with computer resources than it ever used to be.

Cons

Being an open source application means that bug fixes and updates come slower than they would from a for-profit company (like Adobe). But since it's free, who really cares? For a small business like ours it's perfect and it does everything we need to (and more).

Asanka

Image editing doesn't have to be expensive - but it comes with few caveats.

Reviewed on 7/7/2022

Kind of steep learning curve and takes getting used to - specially if you are already used to some commercial solutions. But, once the initial learning is done it can be intuitive on it's own way. It's also feature rich and supports plug-ins, which can be used to extend it's functionality.

Pros

It's free and open source. It's also very regularly updated, and is as feature rich as some very expensive counterparts.

Cons

Support - you'd have to depend on some community resources as well as wait for issues to be fixed by community (you can always take the code and make the fixes yourself - but very few people actually can do that kind of work)

James

GIMP at a glance

Reviewed on 2/9/2023

I use GIMP on a daily basis. It comes in very handy since I work with a lot of images. This is a hobby of mine

Pros

I like the thousands of tools and images offered.I like the ease of use The help files and the tutorialThe fact that it is free and a very good competitor to Adobe Photoshop

Cons

The loading time that it takes the program to open. That is the only thing I dislike about GIMP.It is basically a very good program

Rodrigo A
Rodrigo A
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Free and open source editing software at photoshop level

Reviewed on 13/1/2023

The commercial value of photo editing tools makes it high and it is not always available in work teams, although it is not of constant use, it fulfills perfectly the function of photo editor.

Pros

Gimp is a free photo editor, free and free, with tools comparable to those of photoshop, although with some limitations, but it fulfills the purpose to perfection, It allows you to open and edit PSD files and other formats, occupies few memory and processor resources, which makes it optimal for computers with low hardware capacity and is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Cons

The cons of Gimp are few, it does not have support although it has created a community that fulfills that function, the functions are limited compared to photoshop, it does not have support for CMYK image.

Sébastien
Sébastien

The Best Free Alternative of the past Decade to Any Commercial Image Editing Software

Reviewed on 16/4/2019

The fact that GIMP is freely available on all major operating systems ensures that you can work seamlessly from any computer in the native format provided (XCF) or any other supported format. I have used GIMP many times to edit PDF files, either to add annotations or to conceal confidential information, which is easy to accomplish with a filter such as "Pixelize". For certain programming tasks, it came handy to create paths with the Bezier tool, exporting the information to the SVG format, which can be read with a programming text editor in a breeze. I have also benefited from its great stability, once creating more than a hundred layers on a single image. Since it can handle as many layer groups and layer masks as you wish, it is possible to iterate over one idea over and over again, discarding only specific modifications. There is also a useful "Undo history" tab that takes a visual snapshot of the state of the image at each particular point in time and gives a meaningful name to each step, facilitating the retrieval of a desired state.

Pros

GIMP really has it all: apart from being open source (free) to start with, it supports a plethora of image formats, including animated GIF, PDF, PS, RAW, TIFF and even text (TXT). It features a single-window mode, which is convenient when working with only one monitor, while the multi-window mode is incredibly useful to divide any work being done on two different monitors. It offers many filters and third-party extensions to ease some more tedious aspects of image manipulation. If you are into programming, then you can even take advantage of the exposed libraries, which allow you to programmatically modify images with any tool available in GIMP using Python or Scheme as programming languages. It is also customizable to the core: you can add and remove menus and icons on the fly; you can define the exact resource consumption of the application by specifying details for memory usage and even the number of CPU threads to use; you can have completely distinct configurations for normal mode and full-screen mode; you can create brushes or import from existing creations available online, the same being true with textures; you can configure and add keyboard shortcuts for almost any action you may require to perform and configure many settings to correspond to the default behavior you want in most situations.

Cons

GIMP wasn't made to work with Photoshop images (PSD). It does support them, but the experience isn't as good as with Photoshop. Some types of filters apply many different steps and can't easily be undone, which is sometimes frustrating. Unless you are an expert, the Script-Fu Console is not intuitive at all for newcomers and makes it hard to guess what you can actually do. Some filters and effects won't have a complete description immediately available explaining how the image is expected to be modified. This can be inconvenient when trying out new things, as a few filters take a long time to run and may cause the system to hang for a while depending on how the system allocates priority to the application. On the same subject of filters, it is also hard to guess how long a specific effect may take to render as many filters apply a number of steps in a row, resetting the progress bar at each step. Some filters may also have corner cases to consider, for instance when working on a very large image resolution: when rendering a pattern, it can show signs of incongruence if the image isn't scaled down a bit first.

John
  • Industry: Entertainment

GIMP is where it's at for beginners!

Reviewed on 27/8/2019

Overall, I have had nothing short of an enjoyable experience using GIMP over the past few years. It is versatile enough that I can use it for everything from making flyers and posters to making thumbnails and title card art for YouTube and Facebook videos.
For someone with a limited budget and even more limited technical knowledge when I began, I could not be happier with GIMP and still use it to this day for ninety percent of my projects.

Pros

GIMP offers quite a bit as far as options and competes with some programs out there that can cost sixty dollars or more. When I began using the program, I was brand new to graphic design and generally making artwork and editing visual media on a PC. Through the use of tutorials and other sources that I was able to find on the official forums for GIMP, I was able to learn the program in about half of the time that it has taken me to learn other, lesser programs.
Along with great customer support and tutorials, the interface on GIMP is much easier to get the hang of for beginners and the more time that you put into learning the various functions, the more GIMP grows with your skill level and on top of providing various tutorials, the GIMP community is one of the best communities that I have ever interacted with. Amongst the free editing programs that I have used and even amongst ones that I have paid for, GIMP has been by far the easiest and most reliable one. All of the work that I produce with it has a consistent level of quality and a lot of the functions provided by GIMP have been helpful in helping me to understand more about using techniques. All in all, I would say that for the price, GIMP is an amazing program for a beginner or someone on a budget.

Cons

The thing that I like least about GIMP is probably that in a recent update, a few of the features that I had grown to depend on were taken out which resulted in taking the time to figure out how to proceed. It wasn't a deal-breaking feature, just something that I liked to save time but being that I didn't use it outside of one or two occasions months apart, it wasn't anything that I was willing to stop using GIMP over and I found out how to proceed and get what I needed to do accomplished through searching for help amongst the forums that are set up.

Nana Twum
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Good news about Gimp

Reviewed on 10/7/2022

Say I had to give this a total rating out of 10, from the standpoint of a freelance designer I am coming in around 8.4. The only things to not like about this software is it is not adobe and that's fine! You can design edit photos, draw, do digital illustrations ,and also make professional promotional pieces for both web and print. This software is free and has great midrange where a creative person should be ale to get the job done. If had to relate it to a car, randomly because I love cars this software is like a modded Mazda speed 3 manual transmission. So that being said it's not the BMW but punches well, easily acceassible (again a free software) has all you need and win race in it's class, and also a sleeper underdog when set against subscription services.

Pros

There are a lot of features about this soft ware or platform that I can highlight from the perspective of a Designer .I have a design business and I just recently started playing around with canvas as a tool but GIMP has most of what anyone doing photo manipulation would need. What I like best about Gimp is primarily, that it is a free software. As far as free there are plenty of brushes ie that come stock, as well as it being easy to download brush bundles, unique brushes online, The software in easy to use and it mimics photoshop in a lot of ways so the software is easy to navigate. The Gimp community has done an amazing job actually making learning forums and tutorial. Gimp also. has it's own plug ins available for download and you can look online and find blogs, q and a posts, and how tos relatively quickly. Within the platform there are wide range of edits and effects you can add to your photos and also very important is that Gimp is not made as. Stand alone product, the software is receptive to other software so your not cut off as a designer and have to do your whole project from beginning to end in that software. I think it's a great free source where you can save some money and produce some work.

Cons

Cons
A obviously there are some negatives but I think they are fair being that its a free software. My main problems with it are, of course, it is not adobe and doesn't offer a cloud experience meaning that I can access other work I do a vector design or something but then have to, drag and drop it in, and have it open in another window rather than just to upload it from the saved works. Another problem I guess you could highlight is, some of the plugins and fonts don't work 1-1 with adobe so you might have to find a group of fonts that work well with Gimp. Importing fonts can have the size of your son change, you might be missing some symbols or, you might fonts that aren't supported displays as code. I think that the fact that its free you take The salt with the sugar, and you work around what you have to. Now, it can be frustrating, due to the fact that it is not the industry standard so sometimes it's harder to print Gimp files, but to make up for that, newer versions of Gimp actually allow you to export as a PSD. The brushes are not the same as photoshop and the the effects are very similar but not the same.

Aníbal
Aníbal

My experience with GIMP has been great, very professional image editing with impeccable results

Reviewed on 7/7/2018

GIMP has brought me many benefits in recent years, I have edited in record time images for the websites that I have designed, I have made business cards for professionals, being a web programmer knowing that GIMP has complemented me allows to offer web pages without having to always resort to a professional designer, which reduces the costs of my projects for the end customers, in my work in the company has served me to perform specific tasks when working with web pages. I am very happy with this software that has been very useful for years and has taken me out of trouble. My bosses and clients are happy with my work. Surely I will continue using GIMP for many years.

Pros

I have been using this software for many years to edit images and perform work at the request of my clients in my work as an independent professional, retouching images, banners, logos, among many other things that I have been able to do without complications with GIMP, this application is free , I can use it perfectly without cost, this advantage is very important for me, I love that there are versions for Windows and Linux, since it is possible to install it from repositories, it is easy and it does not waste time searching the Internet, it has many options that include the possibility of programming your own filters this option Although it is very advanced for me, it seems excellent for the future. Another thing that I like about this software is light, I have been able to run it without problems on computers with very few resources, this has got me out of trouble on more than one occasion. It is important that there is a good amount of extras, like filters and brushes, that can be downloaded from the Internet completely free, I like that a lot.

Cons

What I like least about GIMP is that the existing documentation is very little in English and even less in Spanish, most of its users are German or Russian and the information you have is not good for me, the GIMP community is very small . It is difficult to find someone who will really help you if you have a problem or do not know how to do a particular task. The additional components that can be downloaded from the Internet are free, but not many. It is necessary to perform a manual work in other applications are performed automatically. It has functions that are very advanced and not very intuitive, it has cost me to discover some functions on my own. The graphical interface seems a little sloppy, this could improve to make it more attractive for a larger group of people.

Ray
Ray
  • Industry: Photography

GIMP is seriously powerful now and a keystone to open-source photography workflow

Reviewed on 31/8/2018

I tried switching to GIMP in Linux back in 2009, but found it awkward to use and wasn't able to achieve the results I wanted easily. Recent versions have been much better and now, with the release of 2.10 which integrates with Darktable, GIMP is a powerful tool indeed. It is open source and free, but please do make donations to support the development of these amazing tools that benefit many users who truly cannot afford to pay for software.

Pros

GIMP is cross platform and will run equally well on Linux, Windows and Mac. This is a big advantage for people who use different computers but are collaborating on a project.

My favorite feature of GIMP 2.10 right now is its ability to open RAW files using either Darktable or Rawtherapee where the user can make adjustments, and when finished, close Darktable (Rawtherapee) and have the edited image open directly in GIMP for further editing. This is brilliant and offers a greatly improved workflow for photo editing.

A new feature in 2.10.6 is vertical text layers, or the ability to write text top to bottom. This is useful for writing vertical-reading text in Chinese, especially for the creation of formal or fancy documents or invitations. It is also useful for creating interesting layouts in English.

Much has been written about GIMP's 'healing' features that allow removal of unwanted items in a photo. In GIMP, this can be done using the Resynthsizer plugin, or the Inpainting plugin that is included in the G'MIC plugin set. While both work well, the G'MIC plugin seems to yield somewhat more consistent results.

Cons

Until recent editions, GIMP suffered from a rather unattractive interface and opened the main editing window and toolbars separately. While some users preferred this, I found it awkward to to use and arrange on my limited screen space. A single-window mode was introduced in version 2.8 which I prefer.

Sayed

The tool has been proven to be a very powerful tool in photo editing and drawing

Reviewed on 25/10/2018

Pros

GIMP This program is the oldest and most famous program for processing graphics and images is available on the systems of UNIX and GNU / Linux. It has been proven very quickly, very powerful program in the design of digital images and digital features and easy to deal with the tools within the program with beginners or professionals and is characterized as cheap compared to other expensive design programs is a free program main use and improve the appearance of images as well as re-scaled and cut and Adjusting colors, grouping images with each other, removing unwanted objects, and converting between different image formats as well as drawing logos. It can also create GIF animations
Jump works on several platforms: most of the platforms of UNIX and its children such as GNU Linux, Macintosh among them, in addition to Microsoft Windows.
It is characteristic
 The program is light and small size does not exceed 16 MB.
Free and free, and you do not have to pay too much to use, you can download and use it for free.
 Supports Arabic by default and does not need a special version to support Arabic.
Places of coloring
 A complete set of painting tools.
 Anti-Aliasing (Sub-pixel sampling) technology is available for all tools.
 Generating gradients with great magnificence.
 Add custom brushes, gradients and patterns.
Technical features
 Advanced memory management (tile based memory management, sic) makes image size limited only to free space on the hard drive.
 Unlimited number of images

Cons

Slower in performance but very acceptable
  It does not support 16-bit accuracy and this is my opinion the flaw is the good news that this defect will be resolved in the next version according to some sites.
Some specifications need to be installed and not the basis of the program
It does not contain a photo organizer program like Bridge
It does not contain a RAW adapter and this is not necessary because most cameras come with RAW format converter. You will also find a free alternative to RAW format conversion
It does not open some file types such as JPEG-2000

Bruno
Bruno

Professional – AND FREE – software

Reviewed on 30/5/2019

I currently use GIMP as my main image editing software. GIMP is in the level of greatest image editing softwares. And I highly recommend it to everyone. GIMP is super complete. With this software and a little creativity, the sky is the limit.

Pros

Think of an image editing software with professional features, a huge variety of tools to edit your images, all of this at your fingertips with streamlined visuals, in intuitive, beautiful and very, very useful software on a daily basis. For those who have never heard of this before, the name may surprise, but it's GIMP that I'm talking about. This software basically accepts all sorts of images, has editing by layers, as the main image editors in the world, in addition to various filters, image controls, cutouts, opacity styles... I could spend hours and hours writing down here, if I were to describe everything the GIMP includes, and talking about everything you can do using it.

And best of all: This software is FREE. You can do everything you do in a professional software, without having to pay anything for it, without monthly subscriptions, without a headache.

Cons

It takes a while to load when you start the software. But that's something completely justifiable due to the amount of functions and tools (and taking into account that other editing software also takes a while to load). You can open the software and go drink some water in the meantime. No more trouble.

Toriana

GIMP- The Best Kept Secret

Reviewed on 16/11/2023

My overall experience with GIMP has been an amazing one. I've been using GIMP since I was a teenager and never been disappointed!

Pros

What I like most about GIMP is that it is a completely free product. It has a wide arrange of effects, options, and settings that truly allow elevate an image.

Cons

What I enjoyed least about GIMP was it's overcomplicated UI and navigation. The problem with GIMP is not that limited tools, it's that effects and tools have to be found. Compared to other photo editors, things are more condensed, modern looking UI, and have a clean appearance. I wish GIMP would update it's interface to be more visually appealing and easily accessibly.

Alessandro
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Free, open source, useful Image editor

Reviewed on 28/1/2022

I use this software daily in order to make, presentations, to write a lot of my notes or simply because I want a new background for my PC. Once you become familiar with it it's useful and, you can basically run it on any PC.

Pros

This is a FREE software which you can use to crop, edit (colour, add shapes, rescale, tilt, mirror, add layers on, draw on, put on perspective, blur, alpha filter, add lights and so much more). You can save you images in either .xcf, which is the native GIMP format, so you can edit the file later on, or export it in a ton of different formats: png, jpg, gif, pgm, pmb, psd, pdf, tip, bmp, xpm and many more.
The fact that it's free and can run on Linux, Mac OS and Windows is definitely a pro, since it means that you can use it on any PC, be it at work, at home or literally anywhere... oh, and there's a portable version too, so you don't even have to install it (for instance on the PC at work).

Cons

In the beginning it could be a little difficult to understand some things and personally I had to figure out how to hide the two default panels with the most useful commands, when they cover the image you have to edit. Anyway it's not really too big a deal, since on the net you can always find a lot of forums and/or videos with useful tips and commands.

Fedra
Fedra
  • Used for 2+ years

A free and easy-to-use software

Reviewed on 22/4/2019

As a photographer I like to try different tools to edit my photographs. Gimp is a tool that I used in my student years and I still use it to make small adjustments or correct colors and when I need to work with a software that doesn't use a lot of RAM since it's one of its advantages.

Pros

One of its biggest advantages is that it's free compared to others that are more known but at the same time very expensive. It's an excellent alternative for students or small business owners who can't buy paid software. The tools are easy to use, they have quite precise focus and blur tools and you can create your own brushes and modify them, configuring the levels of appearance, scale and use. It offers a large number of filters that can be configured to give customized finishes and a large color panel. Gimp is compatible with any operating system and it's a light software, you can add pluggins since it's an open software and the official website has many tutorials to learn how to use it.

Cons

I would like the interface to look more modern and be a bit more friendly. I also believe that it lacks more tools to be able to compete with the great design programs of the market. Unfortunately, it is not such a well-known software and people are still betting on the payment software; however, being an open source software, it should evolve and improve over time, but the add-ons are outdated and all are spread over the Internet, in addition to the complicated installation. If they could organize the add-ons, keep them updated and look for a friendlier way to install them, they could really outperform other popular design softwares. The text editing tools are pretty basic.