Quickbooks Point of Sale

Point of sale software for single and multi-store businesses

3.6/5
3.9/5
3.9/5
3.5/5

Michael

Point of Sale Made Easier

Reviewed on 26/3/2019

Pros

Quickbooks Point of Sale is simple and easy to use. Nothing is far out of reach. Sales are a breeze and pulling reports is very easy with the improved user interface. The cloud-centric features are very nice too, offering seamless integration across devices and platforms. There is a POS for every industry in the retail arena.

Cons

It's kind of cumbersome to setup initially. I'd recommend having that part handled by an expert. Apart form that, I can't say anything else bad about it.

Kevin

Gotta Love It

Reviewed on 17/10/2019

QB Pos has really helped give us control over our retail operations. Couldn't live without now.

Pros

This software is full-featured and really does a great job of keeping track of everything going on in your store. From inventory to sales, the information is there and easy to access.

Cons

It can be a little tough to get information out in the form I want. Overall the reporting is great but I sometimes like to look at details that are cumbersome to get to.

Response from Intuit

Hi, Kevin. Knowing how helpful the product has been to keep up with your data makes our day. You can continue to count on us to have your back for years to come! To learn more about customizing reports, we recommend checking out this Community article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/run-reports/customize-your-financial-reports/00/186382

Cheering you to continued success.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Lisa

bugs in the system

Reviewed on 14/1/2021

I am so disappointed. I have logged 50 hours on the phone with customer service since August 2020.

The engineers obviously released the new updated system too soon and my business suffers because of it. I also found that the pin pad freezes and then reverses your sale even though you think it went thru.

awful!!

Pros

I love that it is easy to use and has good reporting ability. Links well with QB Bookkeeping

Cons

I was told to upgrade from QB 12.0 to 19.0.. I have had nothing but problems. The first day we set it up there was an error and there continues to be same error message even though i have spent numerous hours on phone with customer service. I am on my 3rd pin pad and had the system uninstalled and re-installed twice. They want to do it again but I refused as they just keep trying different things instead of really figuring out what the problem is. Today I tried to process a $400 sale on applepay and was told that they have an issue with this type of payment (even though this new pin pad was supposed to take Apple pay)

They never let you know of issues. You just have to experience them and then call in.

POS for our small retail shop

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

Pros

We have used this product since the beginning and find it easy to use and integrating it into our books makes life simple.

Cons

Sometimes was a challenge to learn, but an overall great product.

Response from Intuit

Thanks for the taking the time to review. While I'm confident you're a pro by now, I know just where you can go should you have questions down the road.

Since we realize learning any new software can be a challenge, we've created a ton of resources, like our Community (https://intuit.me/2rJQ95o) to help ease the learning curve. This multi-function space is an awesome 24/7 outlet where you can chat with QuickBooks reps or explore hundreds of troubleshooting/how-to tutorials. Check it out anytime, and have a good one!

Grant, The QuickBooks Team

Janeen
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 24/9/2019

Very basic and easy to use for small companies. Not good for large or high volume stores.

Pros

Very easy to use, easy to train new people. Easy for people who are not experienced on cash registers or computers.

Cons

Not easy to keep track of sales by item. Not easy to look up items. Not easy to research prices by item.

Response from Intuit

Hello, Janeen. Empowering you with the tools you need to get the job done quickly and easily is our top priority. It's great to hear this has been achieved for you! We recommend browsing the Community for tips and tricks on tracking sales and searching for items and prices. Here, you'll find a library of articles and advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Nate

Solid product for the small shop, don't expect it to grow with you.

Reviewed on 16/8/2017

This is a great way to go from no point of sale to a solid tool that will serve the small shop.
There is very little in the way of customization, or integration that can be done with this product, don't expect to use it with other software easily.

Pros

Reporting features are excellent
At-register experience is good
Integration with Quickbooks is seamless

Cons

Integration with outside software such as e-commerce is poor
Gift card options are unnecessarily limited, frustrating, and expensive
Customer support leaves a lot to be desired

Don
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Good software for retail sales but not as strong for food and drink sales

Reviewed on 15/12/2017

Inventory management and sales transaction and history. Nice customer reward program based on sales.

Pros

Good inventory managment tied to sales. Easy to use and train. Nice variety of sales reports and profitablity.

Cons

Inability to process another transaction while waiting for a customer to provide tip info eg must complete sale including tip amount before doing anything else (taking an order, printing another receipt for tip inclusion). Cannot process transaction if the internet is down.

Kunle

Best in its league.

Reviewed on 20/11/2017

I have been able to overcome every possible problem, from the way I see it every problem about QuickBooks has a solution.

Pros

Well as a professional and software developer, I have experienced many POS applications in my career but Quickbooks seems to be the best and easiest solution for me. I have recommended to my clients, they use it and personally I support them in case of any issue what so ever. I can boldly say for the last 7 years, quickbooks still stands out.

Lisa

It's OK and can be worked

Reviewed on 14/4/2017

We are currently running Quckbooks 2008 and I do not know if newer versions of Quickbooks have improved some of the current issues

Pros

Sort of intuitive to USE for the cashier. If set up correctly much can autofill at the time of sale.

Cons

Can be difficult to manage in regard to mapping for uploading of information to Quickbooks financial. Some reporting can be difficult and not customizable as much I would be beneficial. We tend to export and then manipulate the data in an office document.

Carole
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Too many crashes

Reviewed on 11/8/2017

Pros

I liked the reports that were set up in the system. I was able to track my business easily with little effort. It was quite easy to learn to operate.

Cons

It got to the point that we couldn't trust the inventory numbers anymore. It was spitting out numbers that were questionable based on given facts. We changed to a web based program so we could access it from anywhere.

William

AT A LOSS!

Reviewed on 10/8/2019

AWEFUL, I cannot imagine how you can screw up what was a great product so badly

Pros

QUICK SALE MENUS only only only only only

Cons

ALL OF THE NEW WINDOWS, I had QB POS 2009 before.

Brian

More Bugs than the local woods.

Reviewed on 6/4/2021

POS = Peace Of... Sales Killer. Customer service very poor. A lot of "We will get back to you". Bug fixes come too little too late.

Pros

Reporting had tons of data. Not just sales totals. You have popular times. Stock value, amount sold, cost of goods, profits. How well each vendor is doing. Top selling Vendors, Items, Departments. Number and graphs. Design and save a report and pull it up again. Set when to date the report. Like you want for info for the last day, last 6 days, maybe 50 days. You can complete control your reports.
The register scanned items in quickly. Showed details like amount on hand. Short Description. Clearly see sale % if item is on sale. A bit hard but you can set up % off. Buy one get one % off.

Cons

CRASHING! Random stop working. Forcing you to close the app or turn off your whole system to reset. Too many buttons for the average cashier to work with. No tracking gift certificates though you CAN put in ID numbers you could tell the register the gift certificate is $100 even if it was only $10 and it would completely accept it.
AND THEY RETURNED $85 AND VOIDED A SALE.
So we rung up $85 in a sale. Run a credit card. Card Approved. Customer gets happy done beeping and register says $0.00. Click Salve & Print and BAM! System crasher right there. Now the sale is done. Customer walks away and we are left restarting the system again. We do it 2x a day on the weekends so no big deal. 5 min later the system opens and says last receipt not saved. "Ok so save it" I think to myself. NO! Instead the system would letting me stop it, without asking, without my approval... RETURNS/VOIDS the last sale. "Ok no big deal I will ring it up again or fix it in inventory. No way it sent the return to the credit possessor." I open Credit Processing and THERE IT IS. $85 APPROVED and then 5 min later $85 VOID. So I don't have the money. The customer and item are LONG gone. And WHY DID THEY VOID A CONFIRMED APPROVED CREDIT CARD 5 MINUTES LATER!!! What if it was more money? We have sales up to $200! Just had a record breaking $500 sale that took 15 min bc during it the system started scanning items in wrong! We have been open 6 months. This CAN NOT HAPPEN AT CHRISTMAS! We changed companies.

Tonya

Quickbooks Support is Awful. Pick something else even if upfront cost is higher ( Used for 15...

Reviewed on 5/11/2020

We've used Quickbooks POS and Desktop for 15 years. We just recently decided to integrate credit card processing. Our "sales rep" flat out lied about the features. Once he received our payment, he would not return calls or emails. Swell!

We've upgraded to the new version 19. This process has been simply AWFUL. I have no less that 15 "case numbers". Even had our files sent to a technician. No resolution! My Staff had figured some work arounds to make the lock ups and disruptions to business less frequent.

With each call I make to support I will be "disconnected" at least 2-3 times and have to start the process all over. This includes attempts to call and use the "online support" which is worse.

After maybe an hour of ineffective support (I am being kind here), I will be referred to Level 2. They are always too busy at the time to assist, and "will call back". The call back DOES NOT HAPPEN.

I will have to call back everyday for a week and complain before Level 2 will call. I have had Level 2 "call back appointments" promise after promise of call backs. NEVER HAPPENS

These issues take away from my ability to manage my business effectively. I belong to several business groups online. I continue to say pick another POS Quickbooks is awful...just awful.

Oh and the chickens and roosters in the background when talking to support...what in the world???

I've decided to give some online reviews as well so folks that want to focus on their business make a different choice even if

Pros

Quickbooks offers one stop shopping that initially appealed to me. We use Point of Sate along with integrating into the Desktop for accounting.

Cons

Support is worse than non existent.

Integration is limited.

Features promised are proprietary and more limited that promised.

Sharni

Easy to use, but not easy to upgrade

Reviewed on 9/8/2016

Pros

Ease of use. It was simple to teach employees how to use the register side of it.

It synchronized easily to quickbooks financial once everything was mapped.

Cons

I could not upgrade past windows 7 on the machines that ran this product. It required I have a machine set up as a server. It cost me pretty much the full price of the product to add another register, or back end user. In order to update the product you had to buy it outright again. There was next to no updating of the product. I bought version 10 back in January of 2011 and until I stopped using it in August 2016 there was no updates. I had to buy the product again if I wanted an update. Customer support cost a lot extra per month, they would even charge you for calls when the problem was their fault. Many reports were limited. For instance, fields I would expect to be in a report simply were not there. For instance, the top customer report, had no way to put the email address into it. So what was the point of that report if you could not send them an email promo?

It was not stored in the cloud, so I was limited in that the product could only be used in my store. If I wanted remote access I had to use a third party computer access product to see my POS.

If you wanted integrated credit card transactions you had to use their merchant services. Their fees were higher than everyone else. I ended up saving thousands a year when I moved to another merchant processor and adding extra steps at the checkout.

Once my file got big, it would lag out loading customer/inventory information.

I ended up changing POS systems when we got another location and it was just going to cost too much to upgrade the product to cope with multiple locations.

susan

New version stinks!!!

Reviewed on 7/2/2020

My previous version was great. The newer one is not great. I actually tried to see if I could revert back to my older version but was told I cannot convert my data back!!

Pros

My previous version was amazing! That was the whole reason I trusted that the newer version would be too but it is full of bugs, quirks and much more complicated user platform. I would not have purchased if I had known it was going to be so different.

Cons

To set up inventory items, it takes twice as long and you have to click around way too much. I am having trouble training my employees on using the newer version effectively which puts most of the data entry burden on me which does not help my business! It regularly freezes up and I have to back out of they system and restart the program which is embarrassing and unprofessional when ringing up customers. Beware and do not purchase this version!!!

Shelby

I feel like less competent than a monkey in a space rocket with this tool - NEED TRAINING!!

Reviewed on 10/11/2017

Pros

It seems that the ability to really do ANYthing with the software is there, yet without the proper time and training one can use it only to about 10% of its potential. That said, the 10% is better than the old cash register and this has been a very useful tool for getting our business's inventory managed and sales organized.

Cons

This is an incredibly complex system that ought to come along with intensive (and free of cost) training. This is not an intuitive software and there are just so many ins and outs and ups and downs that I learn something new everytime I poke around a bit and think: "shoot, I wish I would have known about that three years ago when I got this thing!!!"

Tanya
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Best for retail not service

Reviewed on 22/9/2020

For retail I find its great. its easy to use to enter the items we need and get through the sale

Pros

For the retail side of the business its great for tracking inventory and sales. Ease of set was great.

Cons

We provide a lot of services and don't want to have to run information through two systems. For services this is not great. The reports don't give the right information and the information doesn't transfer to Quickbooks accounting software to provide the information as well. We can't add classes and are struggling with running invoices. This could also be in part of lack of understanding how the systems work.

Patrick

Quickbooks POS customer support is spectacular.

Reviewed on 4/7/2018

Overall the software is great! The customer service makes up for the lack of explaining certain things during installation. A service rep spent hours on the phone helping repair the problem. She was wonderful. The absolute best customer service I've ever used!

Pros

Customer support from Quickbooks POS is by far my favorite thing about this software! Very helpful.

Cons

Functionality of this product was a bit hard to work out. Especially in the install process when installing Quickbooks POS Server. Explaining the server and client sides of the software better during installation process would.

Susan

Quickbooks POS

Reviewed on 14/7/2017

Pros

Simple to use, self explanatory, Easy set up- easy to talk an employee through over the phone if they need to use a new part of the system

Cons

It would help if there was a report that showed busy times of day, how many invoices per hour, -is good for staffing purposes and when looking at hourly changes-my old system had this and we used it quite alot

Amazing software for small businesses!

Reviewed on 16/4/2018

Pros

Quickbooks POS is very user friendly - it is not a complicated point of sale software that requires much thought. Easy to train a new retail sales associate on, which is great.

Cons

There can be occasional glitches we can be problematic when running credit cards or taking payments.

corey

the product and the service are always dependable!

Reviewed on 10/4/2018

great customer service!

Pros

The POS is very easy to use and navigate. Even my employees who are not super computer literate can easily use it will little to no assistance.

Cons

I would like for upgrades to be more seamless, especially if there is a cost associated with the upgrade.

Mia

Easy Use

Reviewed on 26/2/2018

Pros

Very Easy to use and love that I can export to excel. Reports are usually easy to use. I like that open invoices are lined up and clumped together

Cons

I dont like that every time I open QB it doesn't go to home page, I have to close out of everything I worked on

Leeann

Very easy to learn and use

Reviewed on 28/12/2017

Pros

The ease to learn and how easy it is to customize reports for whatever you need it for. Tracking payments and entering notes is a great function!

Cons

I guess my only con would be emailing through QuickBooks doesn't have our company logo or signatures.

Bryon

It was great for what it was

Reviewed on 15/2/2018

Better (it seems) for smaller companies.

Pros

This was brilliant. I really like how customizable the software is. For a layman, it was a very easy-to-use platform that was an all-in-one bundle of scheduling tools, customer profile tools, invoicing, ect. Big value.

Cons

I really enjoied using this software but it seemed to really bog down as my database grew. I would love to see a faster application.

Alexandra
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Quickbooks review

Reviewed on 26/2/2019

Pros

How organized you can keep everything ie; payroll, invoices, product info, customer info

Cons

The passwords you have to constantly put in to navigate each area of quickbooks can be frustrating at times.