Quickbooks Point of Sale Reviews

Quickbooks Point of Sale

Point of sale software for single and multi-store businesses

3.6/5
3.9/5
3.9/5
3.5/5

Point of Sale Made Easier

Reviewed on 26/3/2019

Pros

Quickbooks Point of Sale is simple and easy to use. Nothing is far out of reach. Sales are a breeze and pulling reports is very easy with the improved user interface. The cloud-centric features are very nice too, offering seamless integration across devices and platforms. There is a POS for every industry in the retail arena.

Cons

It's kind of cumbersome to setup initially. I'd recommend having that part handled by an expert. Apart form that, I can't say anything else bad about it.

Kevin

Gotta Love It

Reviewed on 17/10/2019

QB Pos has really helped give us control over our retail operations. Couldn't live without now.

Pros

This software is full-featured and really does a great job of keeping track of everything going on in your store. From inventory to sales, the information is there and easy to access.

Cons

It can be a little tough to get information out in the form I want. Overall the reporting is great but I sometimes like to look at details that are cumbersome to get to.

Response from Intuit

Hi, Kevin. Knowing how helpful the product has been to keep up with your data makes our day. You can continue to count on us to have your back for years to come! To learn more about customizing reports, we recommend checking out this Community article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/run-reports/customize-your-financial-reports/00/186382

Cheering you to continued success.

Michelle

We have used QB POS Multi store for a couple years.

Reviewed on 19/4/2016

Pros

Ease of ringing up customers. It's very simple to start ringing people up. We didn't have to train our staff more than a couple minutes.

Cons

1. Tech support is horrible. There is a reason this is number one!!!!!!
2. If you have more than one computer at a location there are issues if you don't have a wired internet which brought us down for hours and hours and hours over weeks without anyone diagnosing this to be the issue. Customer service just kept logging in and changing the IP address without explaining what they were doing. I finally got a good tech support person that helped me figure it out and how to fix it on my own. (Do NOT use wireless internet. You MUST use hard wire to computer.)
3. We have inventory items that keep reappearing after deleting them. We then tried to merge them and they still keep reappearing. Tech support couldn't remove them either. This really messes up our reports.
4. We had a day that at the end of the day QB restarted and lost ALL the transactions for the day. We were never able to get the information back and it also took a weeks worth of transactions with it. Tech support never retrieved the information nor could explain what happened.
5. There is only 2 levels of departments. You have a "work around" for this by allowing you to customize a field, but you have to write the department name in each time. If you forget the exact word you used such as "snack" instead of "snacks" it won't run adequate reports. I can't imagine many places that don't need more departments. For example, I have "Tours" and "Merchandise" as my main departments. I want to have "Snacks" "Apparel" and even further under snacks I'd like to have "Cookies" "Chips", etc.
6. Sending and receiving files from Intuit server does not always go through. This would be ok if there were an error message, but there isn't. It just didn't send. The only way to be sure this didn't happen when running a report on headquarters is to check to see if there is information each day. I have more than one location so this is tedious. If I find a day that is missing I have to have the staff manually go in and resend data.
7. I'm sure I have MUCH more, but that was the ones I could think of off the top of my head and QB POS has taken up enough of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I can find a better solution I would before you could blink your eyes. I am constantly looking and shopping around.

POS for our small retail shop

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

Pros

We have used this product since the beginning and find it easy to use and integrating it into our books makes life simple.

Cons

Sometimes was a challenge to learn, but an overall great product.

Response from Intuit

Thanks for the taking the time to review. While I'm confident you're a pro by now, I know just where you can go should you have questions down the road.

Since we realize learning any new software can be a challenge, we've created a ton of resources, like our Community (https://intuit.me/2rJQ95o) to help ease the learning curve. This multi-function space is an awesome 24/7 outlet where you can chat with QuickBooks reps or explore hundreds of troubleshooting/how-to tutorials. Check it out anytime, and have a good one!

Grant, The QuickBooks Team

Kunle

Best in its league.

Reviewed on 20/11/2017

I have been able to overcome every possible problem, from the way I see it every problem about QuickBooks has a solution.

Pros

Well as a professional and software developer, I have experienced many POS applications in my career but Quickbooks seems to be the best and easiest solution for me. I have recommended to my clients, they use it and personally I support them in case of any issue what so ever. I can boldly say for the last 7 years, quickbooks still stands out.

• Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Functional not pretty, gets the job done

Reviewed on 11/8/2018

Overall gets the job done.

Overall gets the job done.

Pros

Has customization - we have a quick pick category for most commonly bought items.
Has useful features like reports, storing customer info, purchase orders.

Cons

It isn't very user friendly - have to x out of windows to get back to selling. User interface is ugly and in general a bit clunky. Could be user error... but nothing seems to scan once entered.

Response from Intuit

Thanks for taking the time out to leave us your honest review. While I'm glad the customization options have lent a lot to the functionality you enjoy, I want to make sure you can easily navigate the software. The Resource Center is a awesome outlet in that aspect, and there's one made for POS at https://quickbooks.intuit.com/point-of-sale/customer-resource-center/. You'll find a ton of tutorial and guided videos there, as well as advice on the small business and retail fundamentals.

The info above will help streamline your workflow, but I want to make your voice is heard when it comes to your suggestions about the interface. We love hearing how we can improve, as the engineers default to customer ideas when drumming up new features.

Could you send me your feedback in an email ([email protected])? I can forward your comments to the Development Team. This way, I can also take a look at the issue you've had with scanning and provide a fix one-on-one.

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Lisa

It's OK and can be worked

Reviewed on 14/4/2017

We are currently running Quckbooks 2008 and I do not know if newer versions of Quickbooks have improved some of the current issues

Pros

Sort of intuitive to USE for the cashier. If set up correctly much can autofill at the time of sale.

Cons

Can be difficult to manage in regard to mapping for uploading of information to Quickbooks financial. Some reporting can be difficult and not customizable as much I would be beneficial. We tend to export and then manipulate the data in an office document.

Susan

Quickbooks POS

Reviewed on 14/7/2017

Pros

Simple to use, self explanatory, Easy set up- easy to talk an employee through over the phone if they need to use a new part of the system

Cons

It would help if there was a report that showed busy times of day, how many invoices per hour, -is good for staffing purposes and when looking at hourly changes-my old system had this and we used it quite alot

Meg

Slow and not always intuitive but it works for many different functions

Reviewed on 26/2/2019

Pros

Great for tracking inventory and customers, great for sales orders and a services oriented business.

Cons

It is slow in a fast paced retail environment. Getting all the information is pretty slow going and not always intuitive for the new cashiers and many members of staff working in a fast paced store.

Carrie
  • Industry: Building Materials

Efficient for a small business

Reviewed on 14/9/2017

Pros

Has all the features needed for my business. It's easy to use. Excellent quality for its price point.

Cons

Need to be a faster way of looking up info. I have lots of products and we have to look thru the whole list even tho it is in order to find what we need. Can be very frustrating.

• Industry: Wine & Spirits

QuickBooks Pro Point of Sale Version 12

Reviewed on 13/2/2017

I've used QuickBooks Pro in my retail liquor store for about fourteen months. I don't like it, for four main reasons:

First, if I'm making a sale and I notice the price of the product or the on-hand quantity is wrong the software won't allow me to make corrections from the "Make a Sale" screen. It will allow me to change the price, but the change will show up on the receipt as a "discount," and the price will remain wrong in the database. To change the price or the on-hand quantity in the database requires exiting from the "Make a Sale" function and then entering the "Item List" function. This is impractical to do when a customer is waiting to pay and get on his way. It is also inconvenient and cumbersome to switch back and forth when we are checking in replacement inventory items during business hours and we have to get out of the “Item List” and go to the “Make a Sale” function. When we had Microsoft Point of Sale we could do both functions from the same screen.

Second, QuickBooks Pro will not produce a simple report showing what products were sold and how many were sold during a previous period of time, plus how many remain in inventory. I need to know this information so I can decide what items to replace in inventory. QuickBooks Pro will report all the sales during any chosen period, but obviously the same products are often sold multiple times during a day, so when I'm ordering I have to look at every transaction and consider whether to re-buy the same items multiple times, and then look at another report showing how many were sold during the past months. If you were in a business like mine you’d appreciate the difference between looking at several hundred individual transactions and looking at a single list that summarizes what was sold, how many remain in stock, and how many were sold in the past three months. I think a good POS system should be able to produce a list of what was sold in one column alongside another column showing how many remain in inventory, and a third column showing how many were sold during the previous three months or whatever time period the user would choose as a guide to decide how many of each to re-buy for stock. QuickBooks Pro will not do this. Also, QuickBooks will not let you copy the name of an item in a report, which would make reordering easier. Instead, I have to type the name of what I want when I go to the suppliers’ ordering systems.

Third, it won’t handle some barcodes. There are some that’ll work in the “Item List,” but not in the “Make a Sale” function and some vice versa. Some won’t work in either function. We never had this problem with Microsoft Point of Sale.

Fourth, and worst, QuickBooks drops transactions and changes the quantities of items in inventory. Every night when I do my tallies I have more money in the till than I should have for a number of sales that day as reported by QuickBooks. I’ve seen no rhyme or reason for this happening—the software just decides on its own to delete a transaction or two every day. It also decides on its own to make changes to the quantities of items in inventory, so I don’t really know how many of an item we have in stock without walking to the shelf and counting them myself. I seldom have time to do this, so I frequently order things we already have plenty of, or we run out of things and don’t notice it until a customer complains or we just see a hole in the shelf where something should go.

I’ve tried to imagine a business that would be satisfied with this software. Please don’t recommend it to clients with high product turnover and many transactions to keep up with.

Pros

Poor as it is, it does keep working. It hasn't crashed yet.

Cons

See review

hunter

let me explain my review

Reviewed on 15/8/2021

read above

read above

Pros

Our business has been using quick books POS since we opened our shop in Oct of 2004. We were advised that we needed to upgrade to quick books 19 as their systems don't last forever . our computer technician ( whom has installed over 60 quickbook programs) came and installed it on a Friday Morning . ( never do anything that has to do with banking on a Friday because you can't tell if things are working due to the banks being closed for the weekend) ! Turns out the Quickbooks system was faulty. which means no transactions were recorded. ( on our end it looked like everything was going through) . When Monday came and no sales where deposited the alarm in our heads went off. We thought since it was a new system maybe it needed one more day to settle and batch. Man where we wrong. We lost all sales and Merchandise from Friday- Tuesday. Quickbooks will not even talk to us! we have called dozens of times trying to figure things out and recoup our losses. Please think twice before using a business with no accountability. Being a small Mom and Pop you can imagine what this has done to our bottom line.

Cons

this is a business with no accountability. You can not get anyone of the phone to help. They have passed the buck every time that we have called . then they say we will call you back and they never do. Please think twice before using this company.

Jermaine
  • Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Quckbooks Is Very Incompetent

Reviewed on 18/1/2023

Quickbooks have chosen to freeze all of my deposits totaling $1,510.50 without providing any notification. I have called multiple times to ask:1) Why was my account frozen?2) Why wasn't I notified that my account would be frozen?3) What is the process to have my account unfrozen?4) May I speak with a supervisorEvery representative that I have spoken to in the last several days has not been able to answer any of the above reasonable questions. Nor has a supervisor returned my call. Quickbooks honestly does not care about its customers. Nor do they have the competence to relay simple information within a professional time frame and manner. I have already started with a new credit card processing company. This should not be rocket science for QuickBooks. I hope I can resolve this and move forward with my business. I hope this company goes out of business. Respectfully,JD

Pros

Nothing. This is the worse company and they provide no type of customer service.

Cons

The employees are very incompetent and not helpful.

Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Point of Sale

It seemed to be more commonly used.
Lonne
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Quickbooks POS is very powerful, but requires a paid IT staff person to set up and maintain.

Reviewed on 9/8/2017

As powerful as a jet fighter plane, and just as complicated to learn to fly! Requires a very high committment to training and a competent bookkeeping and IT support staff.

Pros

Very, very powerful features and capability. An overwhelming number of features for customizing and controlling inventory.

Cons

Exceedingly complicated and difficult to learn. Would not recommend this to any business or non-profit that cannot afford to hire both bookkeeping and IT professionals to set up and keep the system maintained.

Although Quickbooks POS and Quicbooks Bookkeeping software is supposed to be fully integrated, classifications set up in POS do not automatically port over to Quickbooks Bookkeeping software.

Many of the reports are not intuitive to generate or interpret.

Fixing after-the-fact sales errors in POS is problematic and overly complicated.

John
  • Industry: Hospitality

Lovin it

Reviewed on 4/3/2020

I used to do my inventory every Sunday evening. It would take me 5 to 7 hours a week. Now its done in minutes with QBPOS. We use Individual Point of Sale out of PA to purchase, and maintain our POS systems.

Pros

This software has given me abilities that other camping resorts envy. Every time I tell other campground owners how QB POS can trend, suggest orders, track inventory, and that it has endless reports that integrates right into Quick books, they are floored.

Cons

We really dont have any dislikes with the software. It performs well and runs reliably. We are on our second generation of hardware, and the software is stable and fast.

Jennifer
  • Industry: Sports

Customer Service Nightmare

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Pros

We had hoped it would work with our QuickBooks accounting program, but that wasn't as easy as we had been told.

Cons

The customer service is outsourced and their reps have very little grasp of the English language. Our experience was so horrendous that QuickBooks refunded the entire amount we had paid for their product after hearing about what we had to endure.

Response from Intuit

Hi, Jennifer. Thanks for sharing your review. It's discouraging to hear you had a less than ideal interaction. We're glad to hear you were able to get a refund. It's our hope that you'll give us another chance and continue to use the system. If you ever need a helping hand, we recommend checking out the Community. Here, you'll find a variety of articles and helpful advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/

Wishing you all the best.

Tanya
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Best for retail not service

Reviewed on 22/9/2020

For retail I find its great. its easy to use to enter the items we need and get through the sale

Pros

For the retail side of the business its great for tracking inventory and sales. Ease of set was great.

Cons

We provide a lot of services and don't want to have to run information through two systems. For services this is not great. The reports don't give the right information and the information doesn't transfer to Quickbooks accounting software to provide the information as well. We can't add classes and are struggling with running invoices. This could also be in part of lack of understanding how the systems work.

Jennifer

Great software for our business needs.

Reviewed on 25/5/2018

Pros

It is a great software tools to not only track our business finances, but also our customers, vendors, and employees easily on 1 site.

Cons

Only 1 user can work the program at a time and then the file must be backed up each time for another use to log in. We tried the online version and did not like it so when we went back to the desktop program 5 months later, we had to back track months of data.

Jared

WORST SUPPORT IN THE HISTORY OF BUSINESS

Reviewed on 9/8/2016

If there was less there was less than one star for customer support I would give it that. I was down an entire week! And they didn't even care. You can't contact anybody that is of any help. I now have sales up and running but my item list and inventory list can't be tracked. This is the worst company on the face of the planet run away!!!

Pros

There are some nice inventory management features but other than that it is crap!

Cons

EVERYTHING IMAGINABLE especially customer service

Kevin
  • Used for 6-12 months

Robust but very clunky

Reviewed on 27/9/2019

QuickBooks POS was our original product for inventory and sales in our retail store. While it is robust and simplifies many aspects of accounting, the overall feel and look were just not conducive to everyday business operations.

Pros

The integration between QuickBooks POS and QuickBooks itself is, as one should expect, outstanding! Both programs work exceptionally well together and make accounting very streamlined.

Cons

The user interface is very "clunky," meaning that it is sometimes difficult to navigate. For newer users, the visual presentation is overwhelming and has a rather uncomfortable feel to it.

Response from Intuit

Hi there, Kevin. Thank you for sharing your review with us. It's awesome to know integrating the Point of Sale system with QuickBooks has been simple and helpful. You can rest easy knowing all of your data is organized in one space. We want to make sure you have the resources you need to easily navigate your account. The Community is a great place to start. Here, you'll find a variety of articles and advice from other users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/

Wishing you continued success.

corey

the product and the service are always dependable!

Reviewed on 10/4/2018

great customer service!

great customer service!

Pros

The POS is very easy to use and navigate. Even my employees who are not super computer literate can easily use it will little to no assistance.

Cons

I would like for upgrades to be more seamless, especially if there is a cost associated with the upgrade.

Mia

Easy Use

Reviewed on 26/2/2018

Pros

Very Easy to use and love that I can export to excel. Reports are usually easy to use. I like that open invoices are lined up and clumped together

Cons

I dont like that every time I open QB it doesn't go to home page, I have to close out of everything I worked on

Ed
  • Industry: Building Materials

Using outdated version.

Reviewed on 19/7/2018

looking possibly to upgrade to V18.

looking possibly to upgrade to V18.

Pros

Using Quickbooks Accounting, so integrates well. Feels a lot like Quickbooks Accounting so is easy to use.

Cons

We have V12, which is over five years old, and we could not get any help desk support for this older version.

Jessica
  • Industry: Automotive

East breezy

Reviewed on 29/8/2017

Pros

Simple layout and practacal functionality , very simple to use for beginers but has everything an experienced user would want .

Cons

Only thing i would weant to change is to have more custom options , not to many things asaid from thaty i would change

Nitika

Quickbooks is easy to use and takes care of all of our payroll needs

Reviewed on 20/3/2018

Pros

I like that it is easy to use for someone who is not an accountant. It is easy to categorize vendors and employees. It is easy to pull all kinds of reports to stay on top of finances. It is also easy to track various bank accounts in one place. I just love it!

Cons

There isn't much I don't like about this software. There is some functionality such as the vacation pay that could be a little more user friendly I feel. We have employees who get paid a set amount of vacation a year and by hours they work. And we found it a little confusing to set up. But, it did get set up.