Quickbooks Point of Sale

Point of sale software for single and multi-store businesses

3.6/5
3.9/5
3.8/5
3.5/5

Amazing software for small businesses!

Reviewed on 16/4/2018

Pros

Quickbooks POS is very user friendly - it is not a complicated point of sale software that requires much thought. Easy to train a new retail sales associate on, which is great.

Cons

There can be occasional glitches we can be problematic when running credit cards or taking payments.

Brian

Great tool for business, has some irritating features.

Reviewed on 27/2/2018

Pros

This software can handle TONS of inventory. We have used the software for over 12 years, and now have over 15000 unique items. Each one is able to track purchasing history, selling history, even details down to the name of the customer who bought this item in march of 2005, what he paid, and what else he bought on the same ticket! We use it a lot for warranty issues, as we're able to see if someone truly bought an item from us, or if they bought it online, and are just trying to get us to fix it for free. Super useful!

Cons

Once you start, you cant stop... Well, that's probably true of any POS system. You end up with too much data to lose, so I couldn't change now even if I wanted to, not that I do. The real problem with being stuck is that you have to pay up for it. Every year, they stop supporting the version from 3 years back. I.e., in 2018 they stop supporting the 2015 version, in '19 they will stop suporting '16, etc. So, you're just fine until windows does some auto-update in the middle of the night. You come in to find out you can't run your business. So, you call support. Support tells you that your version is no longer supported, and it'll be cost per register to upgrade to the current version. Then you're good for another 2 years. We've done this for over 12 years. It's the same song and dance every time. Now I know, and I can budget for it.
All in all, it's worth every penny. I've yet to find anything else that can handle such a large selection of inventory, with so much adaptability, for the price. Just know that the price is hardly a 1-and-done thing.

Michael
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

QuickBooks Pro Point of Sale Version 12

Reviewed on 13/2/2017

I've used QuickBooks Pro in my retail liquor store for about fourteen months. I don't like it, for four main reasons:

First, if I'm making a sale and I notice the price of the product or the on-hand quantity is wrong the software won't allow me to make corrections from the "Make a Sale" screen. It will allow me to change the price, but the change will show up on the receipt as a "discount," and the price will remain wrong in the database. To change the price or the on-hand quantity in the database requires exiting from the "Make a Sale" function and then entering the "Item List" function. This is impractical to do when a customer is waiting to pay and get on his way. It is also inconvenient and cumbersome to switch back and forth when we are checking in replacement inventory items during business hours and we have to get out of the “Item List” and go to the “Make a Sale” function. When we had Microsoft Point of Sale we could do both functions from the same screen.

Second, QuickBooks Pro will not produce a simple report showing what products were sold and how many were sold during a previous period of time, plus how many remain in inventory. I need to know this information so I can decide what items to replace in inventory. QuickBooks Pro will report all the sales during any chosen period, but obviously the same products are often sold multiple times during a day, so when I'm ordering I have to look at every transaction and consider whether to re-buy the same items multiple times, and then look at another report showing how many were sold during the past months. If you were in a business like mine you’d appreciate the difference between looking at several hundred individual transactions and looking at a single list that summarizes what was sold, how many remain in stock, and how many were sold in the past three months. I think a good POS system should be able to produce a list of what was sold in one column alongside another column showing how many remain in inventory, and a third column showing how many were sold during the previous three months or whatever time period the user would choose as a guide to decide how many of each to re-buy for stock. QuickBooks Pro will not do this. Also, QuickBooks will not let you copy the name of an item in a report, which would make reordering easier. Instead, I have to type the name of what I want when I go to the suppliers’ ordering systems.

Third, it won’t handle some barcodes. There are some that’ll work in the “Item List,” but not in the “Make a Sale” function and some vice versa. Some won’t work in either function. We never had this problem with Microsoft Point of Sale.

Fourth, and worst, QuickBooks drops transactions and changes the quantities of items in inventory. Every night when I do my tallies I have more money in the till than I should have for a number of sales that day as reported by QuickBooks. I’ve seen no rhyme or reason for this happening—the software just decides on its own to delete a transaction or two every day. It also decides on its own to make changes to the quantities of items in inventory, so I don’t really know how many of an item we have in stock without walking to the shelf and counting them myself. I seldom have time to do this, so I frequently order things we already have plenty of, or we run out of things and don’t notice it until a customer complains or we just see a hole in the shelf where something should go.

I’ve tried to imagine a business that would be satisfied with this software. Please don’t recommend it to clients with high product turnover and many transactions to keep up with.

Pros

Poor as it is, it does keep working. It hasn't crashed yet.

Cons

See review

jawed
  • Industry: Wholesale

For Small & Medium size organisation, its my best experience to opt Quickbooks POS .

Reviewed on 22/9/2017

Pros

Power full integration in all aspect like if you want to search in any info you have, name of product, UPC, Alternate lookup, serial number, department name, item description, attribute, vender name, mean all possible link are integrated for better search.
Add product, customer, vender, department, are very easy as 123. i.e., if you are adding any new product in this process you can add vender, department, in a single click like just put the name of your required field.
You can add/ modify inventory, vender, department, UPC, and other all information through a single excel sheet.
User friendly add all hardwear tool like barcode scanner, printers, cash draw, touch monitor, tag label printer, through an inbuilt workstation.
The reports area is also well organized, which type of report you wants in any way like product, department, vender, customer, best or worst, vise etc is no more problem in quickbook pos.

Cons

price is little bit higher than others.
in my opinion and my experience there is no any other problem in quickbook pos.

John
  • Industry: Hospitality

Lovin it

Reviewed on 4/3/2020

I used to do my inventory every Sunday evening. It would take me 5 to 7 hours a week. Now its done in minutes with QBPOS. We use Individual Point of Sale out of PA to purchase, and maintain our POS systems.

Pros

This software has given me abilities that other camping resorts envy. Every time I tell other campground owners how QB POS can trend, suggest orders, track inventory, and that it has endless reports that integrates right into Quick books, they are floored.

Cons

We really dont have any dislikes with the software. It performs well and runs reliably. We are on our second generation of hardware, and the software is stable and fast.

Brian

More Bugs than the local woods.

Reviewed on 6/4/2021

POS = Peace Of... Sales Killer. Customer service very poor. A lot of "We will get back to you". Bug fixes come too little too late.

Pros

Reporting had tons of data. Not just sales totals. You have popular times. Stock value, amount sold, cost of goods, profits. How well each vendor is doing. Top selling Vendors, Items, Departments. Number and graphs. Design and save a report and pull it up again. Set when to date the report. Like you want for info for the last day, last 6 days, maybe 50 days. You can complete control your reports.
The register scanned items in quickly. Showed details like amount on hand. Short Description. Clearly see sale % if item is on sale. A bit hard but you can set up % off. Buy one get one % off.

Cons

CRASHING! Random stop working. Forcing you to close the app or turn off your whole system to reset. Too many buttons for the average cashier to work with. No tracking gift certificates though you CAN put in ID numbers you could tell the register the gift certificate is $100 even if it was only $10 and it would completely accept it.
AND THEY RETURNED $85 AND VOIDED A SALE.
So we rung up $85 in a sale. Run a credit card. Card Approved. Customer gets happy done beeping and register says $0.00. Click Salve & Print and BAM! System crasher right there. Now the sale is done. Customer walks away and we are left restarting the system again. We do it 2x a day on the weekends so no big deal. 5 min later the system opens and says last receipt not saved. "Ok so save it" I think to myself. NO! Instead the system would letting me stop it, without asking, without my approval... RETURNS/VOIDS the last sale. "Ok no big deal I will ring it up again or fix it in inventory. No way it sent the return to the credit possessor." I open Credit Processing and THERE IT IS. $85 APPROVED and then 5 min later $85 VOID. So I don't have the money. The customer and item are LONG gone. And WHY DID THEY VOID A CONFIRMED APPROVED CREDIT CARD 5 MINUTES LATER!!! What if it was more money? We have sales up to $200! Just had a record breaking $500 sale that took 15 min bc during it the system started scanning items in wrong! We have been open 6 months. This CAN NOT HAPPEN AT CHRISTMAS! We changed companies.

Jeanne
  • Industry: Law Enforcement

Best in combination with Quickbooks accounting software

Reviewed on 20/1/2019

Overall, this is a decent POS software. I like that it talks to QuickBooks accounting software and manages inventory. Invest in a bar code scanner and receipt printer. Plug and play - easy to get them to work with the POS software. A good software for medium skill level users if you want more depth than a standard POS like Square.

Pros

Quickbooks POS is a good software to use in combination with the Quickbooks accounting software. It syncs your inventory, tracks your purchase orders, invoices, bills and checks. You can hook up a bar code scanner for ease of use and have a portable bar code scanner for inventory.

Cons

I'm sure there's better POS software out there but I'm used to Quickbooks and it seemed fairly easy to use. The interface could be better looking. It's kind of dated and a little complicated to look at and find what you need. The sync with the accounting software takes a while. You may have to find 5 minutes to do something else while waiting for it to sync.

Janeen
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 24/9/2019

Very basic and easy to use for small companies. Not good for large or high volume stores.

Pros

Very easy to use, easy to train new people. Easy for people who are not experienced on cash registers or computers.

Cons

Not easy to keep track of sales by item. Not easy to look up items. Not easy to research prices by item.

Response from Intuit

Hello, Janeen. Empowering you with the tools you need to get the job done quickly and easily is our top priority. It's great to hear this has been achieved for you! We recommend browsing the Community for tips and tricks on tracking sales and searching for items and prices. Here, you'll find a library of articles and advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Nate

Solid product for the small shop, don't expect it to grow with you.

Reviewed on 16/8/2017

This is a great way to go from no point of sale to a solid tool that will serve the small shop.
There is very little in the way of customization, or integration that can be done with this product, don't expect to use it with other software easily.

Pros

Reporting features are excellent
At-register experience is good
Integration with Quickbooks is seamless

Cons

Integration with outside software such as e-commerce is poor
Gift card options are unnecessarily limited, frustrating, and expensive
Customer support leaves a lot to be desired

Don
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Good software for retail sales but not as strong for food and drink sales

Reviewed on 15/12/2017

Inventory management and sales transaction and history. Nice customer reward program based on sales.

Pros

Good inventory managment tied to sales. Easy to use and train. Nice variety of sales reports and profitablity.

Cons

Inability to process another transaction while waiting for a customer to provide tip info eg must complete sale including tip amount before doing anything else (taking an order, printing another receipt for tip inclusion). Cannot process transaction if the internet is down.

Kimberly

Minimum expectations not met with QuickBooks POS 18.0

Reviewed on 23/1/2018

Please save yourself some time/money/stress and a boatload of trouble - DO NOT USE QuickBooksPOS - go with Square, or write your own software. QuickBooks POS is a mess.

Pros

I thought it would be easily interfaced with QuickBooks Desktop. I thought it would track inventory and work well with my small business. I thought it would streamline inventory check in and pricing, and sales tax collection. I was wrong.

Cons

Literally rife with software quirks. The tax collection turns itself off at will - and the "help" line tells you it's because your software is "corrupt" - which is amazing since it's brand new, and ONLY they have been in it. It was not the "online" software, so how can it be corrupt? Be aware that the system will NOT be up and running efficiently - ever....so when they start charging you by the minute for help calls - after 60 days - they will leave you on hold for hours. I am not exaggerating - HOURS - our routine was .....1. open the shop 2. turn on POS terminal 3. Call quickbooks and spend 2 hours on line while they fix the problem of the day. Often times, it was the same problem from a week ago....Even on the way out, they screw you. so many issues with this software - built on an ancient Excel platform and they have not invested $$ to update it. And every time Microsoft sends an update, your system will crash. And every so often, it will just stop adding sales tax to stuff. And, when it is in the mood, it will freeze up and say "oops, something went wrong" on your screen. And every so often, you will have to re-boot the whole system. And you will have to check in merchandise on the sales floor because in order to check in inventory on a computer in the back room, you have to shut down the front register - and they HAVE PROGRAMMED IN A 15 MINUTE DELAY - before you can open it in the back room (sometimes it's 30 minutes). Fortunately, during this 15 minutes, they have a lovely pop up which is trying to sell you another license so you can use the software in the back room (which the sales agent told you would work, but it doesn't....). They never stop creating issues with the intention of getting you to buy another license......for software that doesn't work. It is an abject, complete disaster. DO NOT DO IT.....Don't buy their POS. It's barely functional.....Understand that I have a better than average understanding of inventory management and excel. I could not make it work. Their support people want to do reach outs and they mess with your firewall settings, and will NOT own up to the fact that the software is intentionally designed to make things difficult unless you keep paying them for additional licenses and spending time on the phone at their per minute charge. We switched to Square and have ZERO complaints. Our ONLY issues experienced with Square are directly tied back to QuickBooks POS issues - the way they have their info set up made the migration/import/export tough. Once we wiped out QBPro POS 18.0 - our lives are now peaceful. One last thing - Square payments arrive overnight - 99.9% of the time - QuickBooks delayed up to 4 days. They are holding your money. It's clearly another tactic - our bank did not change, but our processor did. Way faster and cleaner with Square POS - all around.

Sharni

Easy to use, but not easy to upgrade

Reviewed on 9/8/2016

Pros

Ease of use. It was simple to teach employees how to use the register side of it.

It synchronized easily to quickbooks financial once everything was mapped.

Cons

I could not upgrade past windows 7 on the machines that ran this product. It required I have a machine set up as a server. It cost me pretty much the full price of the product to add another register, or back end user. In order to update the product you had to buy it outright again. There was next to no updating of the product. I bought version 10 back in January of 2011 and until I stopped using it in August 2016 there was no updates. I had to buy the product again if I wanted an update. Customer support cost a lot extra per month, they would even charge you for calls when the problem was their fault. Many reports were limited. For instance, fields I would expect to be in a report simply were not there. For instance, the top customer report, had no way to put the email address into it. So what was the point of that report if you could not send them an email promo?

It was not stored in the cloud, so I was limited in that the product could only be used in my store. If I wanted remote access I had to use a third party computer access product to see my POS.

If you wanted integrated credit card transactions you had to use their merchant services. Their fees were higher than everyone else. I ended up saving thousands a year when I moved to another merchant processor and adding extra steps at the checkout.

Once my file got big, it would lag out loading customer/inventory information.

I ended up changing POS systems when we got another location and it was just going to cost too much to upgrade the product to cope with multiple locations.

hunter

let me explain my review

Reviewed on 15/8/2021

read above

Pros

Our business has been using quick books POS since we opened our shop in Oct of 2004. We were advised that we needed to upgrade to quick books 19 as their systems don't last forever . our computer technician ( whom has installed over 60 quickbook programs) came and installed it on a Friday Morning . ( never do anything that has to do with banking on a Friday because you can't tell if things are working due to the banks being closed for the weekend) ! Turns out the Quickbooks system was faulty. which means no transactions were recorded. ( on our end it looked like everything was going through) . When Monday came and no sales where deposited the alarm in our heads went off. We thought since it was a new system maybe it needed one more day to settle and batch. Man where we wrong. We lost all sales and Merchandise from Friday- Tuesday. Quickbooks will not even talk to us! we have called dozens of times trying to figure things out and recoup our losses. Please think twice before using a business with no accountability. Being a small Mom and Pop you can imagine what this has done to our bottom line.

Cons

this is a business with no accountability. You can not get anyone of the phone to help. They have passed the buck every time that we have called . then they say we will call you back and they never do. Please think twice before using this company.

Kunle

Best in its league.

Reviewed on 20/11/2017

I have been able to overcome every possible problem, from the way I see it every problem about QuickBooks has a solution.

Pros

Well as a professional and software developer, I have experienced many POS applications in my career but Quickbooks seems to be the best and easiest solution for me. I have recommended to my clients, they use it and personally I support them in case of any issue what so ever. I can boldly say for the last 7 years, quickbooks still stands out.

Lisa
  • Used for 2+ years

Once the only game in town

Reviewed on 14/4/2017

Once, one of the only games in POS. town, Intuit now has robust competition. We are seriously looking into a cloud based alternative for our store. Having said that, I will say that my most recent call to customer service was one of the best I have ever had. Maybe they are feeling some heat from the competition.

Pros

Very versatile, perhaps to a fault at times. Quite easy to learn at least initially. Integration with QuickBooks.

Cons

UI needs a serious updating. Many fine features on the software are not immediately apparent or easily accessible. This is at least partly due to the somewhat outdated and clumsy interface. We have had the desktop based version of this POS since 2003 and have had a tenuous and oftentimes rocky relationship with customer service and support. Intuit is such an enormous company that one feels like an unimportant cog in the wheel when trying to fix a problem.

Ken

Has Some Nice Features, But Too Many Glitches

Reviewed on 27/12/2018

Support is awful.

Pros

The reports are spot on and a great time saver.

Cons

I was not given a heads up that you have use Intuit's credit card services. Intuit is much higher than many other credit card providers.
Also for the first 6 months I owned this program on occasion the software would malfunction and charge the last customer for the new customer's order.

Kevin
  • Used for 6-12 months

Robust but very clunky

Reviewed on 27/9/2019

QuickBooks POS was our original product for inventory and sales in our retail store. While it is robust and simplifies many aspects of accounting, the overall feel and look were just not conducive to everyday business operations.

Pros

The integration between QuickBooks POS and QuickBooks itself is, as one should expect, outstanding! Both programs work exceptionally well together and make accounting very streamlined.

Cons

The user interface is very "clunky," meaning that it is sometimes difficult to navigate. For newer users, the visual presentation is overwhelming and has a rather uncomfortable feel to it.

Response from Intuit

Hi there, Kevin. Thank you for sharing your review with us. It's awesome to know integrating the Point of Sale system with QuickBooks has been simple and helpful. You can rest easy knowing all of your data is organized in one space. We want to make sure you have the resources you need to easily navigate your account. The Community is a great place to start. Here, you'll find a variety of articles and advice from other users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/

Wishing you continued success.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Carrie
  • Industry: Building Materials

Efficient for a small business

Reviewed on 14/9/2017

Pros

Has all the features needed for my business. It's easy to use. Excellent quality for its price point.

Cons

Need to be a faster way of looking up info. I have lots of products and we have to look thru the whole list even tho it is in order to find what we need. Can be very frustrating.

Beth
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Prepare for lots of frustration, speaking to the continent of India and very little that makes...

Reviewed on 1/2/2017

I'm a Proadvisor so I know a little. But nothing is helpful; create Custom Forms is a joke. Call India help desk, more time spent on nothing. It takes a lot of time, most spent on really bad documentation, but good once it's done.

Pros

Most small business accounts use QuickBooks

Cons

It's so badly prepared, the service is worthless, the documentation - both online and written, awful, and they make what should be easy, very difficult.

Mark
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Good for medium-sized companies with plenty of inventory

Reviewed on 5/12/2016

We've used this POS system for about 5 years now. It works great if you also are using Quickbooks as your accounting software.

Pros

Easy to Use
Good Customer Service department
Interactive

Cons

Expensive
Not Ideal for small businesses
Requires many accessories

Jessica
  • Industry: Automotive

East breezy

Reviewed on 29/8/2017

Pros

Simple layout and practacal functionality , very simple to use for beginers but has everything an experienced user would want .

Cons

Only thing i would weant to change is to have more custom options , not to many things asaid from thaty i would change

Bryon

It was great for what it was

Reviewed on 15/2/2018

Better (it seems) for smaller companies.

Pros

This was brilliant. I really like how customizable the software is. For a layman, it was a very easy-to-use platform that was an all-in-one bundle of scheduling tools, customer profile tools, invoicing, ect. Big value.

Cons

I really enjoied using this software but it seemed to really bog down as my database grew. I would love to see a faster application.

susan

New version stinks!!!

Reviewed on 7/2/2020

My previous version was great. The newer one is not great. I actually tried to see if I could revert back to my older version but was told I cannot convert my data back!!

Pros

My previous version was amazing! That was the whole reason I trusted that the newer version would be too but it is full of bugs, quirks and much more complicated user platform. I would not have purchased if I had known it was going to be so different.

Cons

To set up inventory items, it takes twice as long and you have to click around way too much. I am having trouble training my employees on using the newer version effectively which puts most of the data entry burden on me which does not help my business! It regularly freezes up and I have to back out of they system and restart the program which is embarrassing and unprofessional when ringing up customers. Beware and do not purchase this version!!!

Alexandra

Good friendly software!

Reviewed on 26/3/2018

Pros

This is best suitable for small companies since it doesn't have much variety but gets the job done. It also has mobile apps which makes everything easier and user friendly.

Cons

We like the software very much, although, what we liked least is the customer support. I had to wait over +10 minutes to just get a hold of somebody, & it happens every time.

Jesse
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Time saver

Reviewed on 2/7/2018

Pros

This system is very easy to use. I like the time it saves me as it integrates with QuickBooks Online, so know daily manual entries.
Great customer service.

Cons

I have a unique industry in which we offer classes, repairs, annual equipment service, rentals and retail. There is no work order, or rental functionality.