Quickbooks Point of Sale

Point of sale software for single and multi-store businesses

3.9 /5 (159 reviews) Write a Review!

Sonja F.

Difficult Program

Reviewed on 1/4/2021

Too difficult and creates such unproductivity in the staff when trying to correct sales, inventory, receiving, etc.

Pros

Not much. We use QB POS 18.0 and it's really not user friendly for anyone in our company. We went through a sales tax audit and the sales tax auditors refused to deal with POS reports because of it's difficulties.

Cons

See above. So much to write. The POS should when integrating with QB Enterprise have the correct sales receipts and journal reference numbers populating correctly but does not. Talking with POS IT people was futile in getting most of the issues resolved. We are looking at getting out of this software and into something else.

John T.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Lovin it

Reviewed on 4/3/2020

I used to do my inventory every Sunday evening. It would take me 5 to 7 hours a week. Now its done in minutes with QBPOS. We use Individual Point of Sale out of PA to purchase, and maintain our POS systems.

Pros

This software has given me abilities that other camping resorts envy. Every time I tell other campground owners how QB POS can trend, suggest orders, track inventory, and that it has endless reports that integrates right into Quick books, they are floored.

Cons

We really dont have any dislikes with the software. It performs well and runs reliably. We are on our second generation of hardware, and the software is stable and fast.

Brian B.

More Bugs than the local woods.

Reviewed on 6/4/2021

POS = Peace Of... Sales Killer. Customer service very poor. A lot of "We will get back to you". Bug fixes come too little too late.

Pros

Reporting had tons of data. Not just sales totals. You have popular times. Stock value, amount sold, cost of goods, profits. How well each vendor is doing. Top selling Vendors, Items, Departments. Number and graphs. Design and save a report and pull it up again. Set when to date the report. Like you want for info for the last day, last 6 days, maybe 50 days. You can complete control your reports.
The register scanned items in quickly. Showed details like amount on hand. Short Description. Clearly see sale % if item is on sale. A bit hard but you can set up % off. Buy one get one % off.

Cons

CRASHING! Random stop working. Forcing you to close the app or turn off your whole system to reset. Too many buttons for the average cashier to work with. No tracking gift certificates though you CAN put in ID numbers you could tell the register the gift certificate is $100 even if it was only $10 and it would completely accept it.
AND THEY RETURNED $85 AND VOIDED A SALE.
So we rung up $85 in a sale. Run a credit card. Card Approved. Customer gets happy done beeping and register says $0.00. Click Salve & Print and BAM! System crasher right there. Now the sale is done. Customer walks away and we are left restarting the system again. We do it 2x a day on the weekends so no big deal. 5 min later the system opens and says last receipt not saved. "Ok so save it" I think to myself. NO! Instead the system would letting me stop it, without asking, without my approval... RETURNS/VOIDS the last sale. "Ok no big deal I will ring it up again or fix it in inventory. No way it sent the return to the credit possessor." I open Credit Processing and THERE IT IS. $85 APPROVED and then 5 min later $85 VOID. So I don't have the money. The customer and item are LONG gone. And WHY DID THEY VOID A CONFIRMED APPROVED CREDIT CARD 5 MINUTES LATER!!! What if it was more money? We have sales up to $200! Just had a record breaking $500 sale that took 15 min bc during it the system started scanning items in wrong! We have been open 6 months. This CAN NOT HAPPEN AT CHRISTMAS! We changed companies.

Paige F.
  • Industry: Fine Art

An okay system for PC but no compatibility with mobile technology and prone to dumping data

Reviewed on 1/2/2017

I used Quick-books for about a year and while it was an easy system to use on the PC, I found my business needs were better met by moving to a POS system that was mobile friendly.
Quick-books has a very easy to use the system--items are tracked with a generated barcode and the system lists when the item was brought in when it was purchased last, and by whom it was purchased.
I appreciated the compatibility of the technology to be able to automatically print barcodes for our use as opposed to other Mac POS systems, and overall the system was just fine until one day, two days after the largest sale of the year for our company, I went to ring up an item and I found Quick-books had experienced a major glitch and had deleted all the inventory I had added, sold, or updated within the last two weeks. I was devastated. I had input over 2,000 new pieces (individual, one-of-a-kind pieces of art) into Quick-books for our annual holiday sale and then when I tried to secure records for the pieces sold, bought, or input, suddenly the barcodes did not work, there was no record of me having ever entered in all the new works, and I had no sales records for over 100 artists. Luckily my accountant and I, the Store Manager, had already paid out everything that was sold from the large event, but I spent hours inputting the data back in for the remaining pieces. I was confounded and furious and customer service had no answers as to why this had happened. I immediately began researching POS systems that were mobile friendly and that stored my data and records on the Cloud or other web means so that I would never again have to experience lost data. My decision to move from Quick-books was justified when, just a few weeks later, I went to another local business to buy running shoes and the saleswoman apologized for the slow checkout process, noting that overnight her entire inventory had been wiped clean from her POS. I asked what POS she used, and sure enough, Quick-books had done it to again, left someone in the lurch from unexplained dumped data.
For the price and poor customer service and unreliability, I never regretted moving from Quick-Books Point of Sale to another POS system. I now use Shopkeep and I am very happy with it.

Pros

Very easy to use. It generates bar codes to corresponding with individual or grouped items and then displays the price, merchandiser, and all vital information in the same place for me to find. I liked to be able to track when, where, and by whom an item was brought in and then sold.

Cons

Quick-Books was prone to glitches and to dumping, data on inventory entered. I lost over 2,000 records on new merchandise brought in for our annual holiday sale. Overnight there was no record I had ever entered, sold, or updated anything over a two-week period, the most pivotal two-week period of our year. Luckily my accountant and I had already paid the artists for their sold works, but it took hours for me to put the inventory back in and update the records. My sales records for those two weeks were also unaccounted for, and suddenly my sales were down by thousands compared with the last year. I was purchasing running shoes from another local business down the street a few weeks later and the saleswoman was having a field day trying to sell anything as overnight, same as what happened to me, Quick-books had dumped all her inventory and it had to be entered in again.

Jeanne C.
  • Industry: Law Enforcement

Best in combination with Quickbooks accounting software

Reviewed on 20/1/2019

Overall, this is a decent POS software. I like that it talks to QuickBooks accounting software and manages inventory. Invest in a bar code scanner and receipt printer. Plug and play - easy to get them to work with the POS software. A good software for medium skill level users if you want more depth than a standard POS like Square.

Pros

Quickbooks POS is a good software to use in combination with the Quickbooks accounting software. It syncs your inventory, tracks your purchase orders, invoices, bills and checks. You can hook up a bar code scanner for ease of use and have a portable bar code scanner for inventory.

Cons

I'm sure there's better POS software out there but I'm used to Quickbooks and it seemed fairly easy to use. The interface could be better looking. It's kind of dated and a little complicated to look at and find what you need. The sync with the accounting software takes a while. You may have to find 5 minutes to do something else while waiting for it to sync.

Janeen K.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 24/9/2019

Very basic and easy to use for small companies. Not good for large or high volume stores.

Pros

Very easy to use, easy to train new people. Easy for people who are not experienced on cash registers or computers.

Cons

Not easy to keep track of sales by item. Not easy to look up items. Not easy to research prices by item.

Response from Intuit

Hello, Janeen. Empowering you with the tools you need to get the job done quickly and easily is our top priority. It's great to hear this has been achieved for you! We recommend browsing the Community for tips and tricks on tracking sales and searching for items and prices. Here, you'll find a library of articles and advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Kunle A.

Best in its league.

Reviewed on 20/11/2017

I have been able to overcome every possible problem, from the way I see it every problem about QuickBooks has a solution.

Pros

Well as a professional and software developer, I have experienced many POS applications in my career but Quickbooks seems to be the best and easiest solution for me. I have recommended to my clients, they use it and personally I support them in case of any issue what so ever. I can boldly say for the last 7 years, quickbooks still stands out.

Meg D.

Slow and not always intuitive but it works for many different functions

Reviewed on 26/2/2019

Pros

Great for tracking inventory and customers, great for sales orders and a services oriented business.

Cons

It is slow in a fast paced retail environment. Getting all the information is pretty slow going and not always intuitive for the new cashiers and many members of staff working in a fast paced store.

Jaunett P.
  • Industry: Supermarkets

QB POS is worth a try

Reviewed on 9/11/2017

Pros

QuickBooks POS is a very affordable system. You get a lot of bang for your buck. Excellent at tracking inventory. QuickBooks tech support cannot be beat.

Cons

Reports are clunky and hard to navigate. The POS system does not connect with QuickBooks desktop as well as it should.

Brittney W.

Intuit Quickbooks

Reviewed on 17/2/2018

Offers the software on apps for mobile phones!

Pros

The best online accounting software for small businesses because of the flexibility and extensibility. It's very easy to use and well-designed. It can serve a wide variety of users.

Cons

The customer support is the weakest for this software. It may be because of the amount of businesses that are using the software but the support is slow to get ahold of and sometimes have to go from one person to another to get the problem fixed.

John H.

QUickbooks Intuit

Reviewed on 4/4/2018

I like it. Makes book keeping easy

Pros

Great Program. Easy to use. Have no complaints. I have been using it for a while and have not considered other programs.

Cons

Nothing. Its a great program. No complaints. I have been using it for a while and ignore other sales calls because its a waste of time.

William P.

AT A LOSS!

Reviewed on 10/8/2019

AWEFUL, I cannot imagine how you can screw up what was a great product so badly

Pros

QUICK SALE MENUS only only only only only

Cons

ALL OF THE NEW WINDOWS, I had QB POS 2009 before.

Savvy P.

Ample features and easy navigation

Reviewed on 13/3/2018

Pros

I ended up saving thousands a year when I moved to Quickbooks POS and adding extra steps at the checkout.

Cons

Customer service is a little pricy and updates will also be an extra cost. Suggest to add your own customized fields.

Jennifer B.
  • Industry: Sports

Customer Service Nightmare

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Pros

We had hoped it would work with our QuickBooks accounting program, but that wasn't as easy as we had been told.

Cons

The customer service is outsourced and their reps have very little grasp of the English language. Our experience was so horrendous that QuickBooks refunded the entire amount we had paid for their product after hearing about what we had to endure.

Response from Intuit

Hi, Jennifer. Thanks for sharing your review. It's discouraging to hear you had a less than ideal interaction. We're glad to hear you were able to get a refund. It's our hope that you'll give us another chance and continue to use the system. If you ever need a helping hand, we recommend checking out the Community. Here, you'll find a variety of articles and helpful advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/

Wishing you all the best.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

• Industry: Higher Education

QuickBooks

Reviewed on 13/3/2019

We are selling things.

Pros

It's ease of use for normal operations, it's really easy to make a sale on.

Cons

It does have a lot of menus when doing tasks specific to my workplace, such as every year when we have to make purchases on the behalf of 100 different people, so there's no way to automate that, we have to do it one at a time.

Paul P.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

OK for the average store

Reviewed on 10/8/2017

Needs to have better CC processing rates and website shopping cart integration.

Pros

Easy to use, however it is not reliable. Easy to train employees how to use. automatically ties in to QB financial

Cons

Crashed often or locked up. Data went missing. Some reports were useless. No flag for items that are on sales orders when received. Could not combine multiple orders into one transaction.

James P.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Quickbooks POS is an easy to use solutions for selling goods in a store.

Reviewed on 29/8/2018

Pros

Easily integratable with Quickbooks accounting hence making accounting seamless.
It works well in selling of goods and services.
Supports tracking of inventory hence easy to know how your business is doing.

Cons

Not readily intergratabe with mobile payment solutions in Kenya
For small shops the price is a bit high.

Melissa H.
  • Industry: Building Materials

Quickbooks POS review

Reviewed on 20/9/2016

Pros

It's great for run of the mill retail. Easy to use for most transactions.

Cons

Doesn't allow for quoting without adjusting inventory. Needs more options for retailers that manufacture.

Mitch S.
  • Industry: Photography

Keep Your Books in Order!

Reviewed on 9/4/2018

Pros

Quickbooks is full of all the features you need to keep your books in order. It syncs with almost all major PSA softwares, which is vital in this day and age.

Cons

The setup time and learning curve is high. You will run into some problems from time to time, so be prepared to workout small issues that might arise.

Thad A.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Do not use do not recommend

Reviewed on 26/2/2020

Pretty terrible , Will be moving to a different pos as soon as we can. Support is non existent

Pros

None No tech support and after you wait for an hour they don’t speak English and hang up on you

Cons

Clunky interface, having to wait over an hour for tech support and then having them hang up on you, having chargebacks and not being able to dispute them even though we had all the information for the card and the owners signature.

• Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Difficult to operate without assistance

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Pros

Ease of entering orders and invoicing customers.

Cons

Beyond order entry, there was difficulty everywhere else. Having no proper training with the system, attempting to sort through the system yourself was difficult. Inventory was impossible to upload correctly, making sales tracking a mission. Running reports was a half day task.

Response from Intuit

Please know we have a wealth of training tools to ensure you can master and operate QuickBooks with ease. To start, we offer walk-through guides to help you sort through the system, run reports, and upload inventory in our Community (https://intuit.me/2rJQ95o). I encourage you to check out this self-help space, as well as our weekly webinar service (https://intuit.me/2rDBlWL). The second occurs in live time and is hosted by experts, so the assistance you need is only ever a click away. It's the perfect outlet when you need to learn more about the basics, and we created both sites with you in mind.

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Cheryl S.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

In House Payroll Software

Reviewed on 9/1/2019

Is Excellent

Pros

I absolutely loved everything about this software. All you have to do is plug in numbers and it will do the rest for you. Has multiple reports that can be pulled to keep you in the know all the time about your business assets

Cons

How to do W-2's, at first was a challenge , however after the help with Quick books, it became very easy after initially doing it for the first time.

Helped keep transactions accurate

Reviewed on 13/4/2019

Pros

It is fast and easy to use. There were many times when I was balancing the registers and QuickBooks helped me catch and fix mistakes. Our transactions were more accurate because of it.

Cons

It took some time to get used the process for making a return when customers had changed their minds about purchases.

Debbie R.
  • Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Quickbooks

Reviewed on 4/5/2018

Pros

I like the fact that everything is organized and will help me at tax time.
Easy to enter info once you learn how.

Cons

It's hard to learn. I have another program, A Professor Teaches Quickbooks, that I highly recommend. It's helped tremendously!

Jenni M.

Good way to keep up with transactions!

Reviewed on 15/2/2019

Pros

It is pretty easy to use once you get it figured out. It has a good layout with the categories and tabs.

Cons

I do not use it often enough to really have any cons about this product, but it can be confusing if you do not know what you are doing.