Microsoft Office Lens

OCR solution for businesses of all sizes

4.5 /5 (77 reviews) Write a Review!

Jamesson T.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

What I think about Microsoft Office Lens

Reviewed on 27/2/2021

I use it to scan images with texts that I want to keep saved (newsletters, documents, etc.). The repositioning of the photo is great and helps to make all text readable.

Pros

Easy to use, good filters and scaling to scan images. Direct and effective storage and sharing.

Cons

Perhaps the theme and layout could be made more interesting, customizable and with a more pleasant appearance.

Jim paul B.

Scanning Made Easy with Office Lens

Reviewed on 5/11/2020

Microsoft Office Lens is a reliable tool that provides scanning services for free but with maximum quality. On top of all these perks, it's just a click away from your smartphone. I use it during meetings when I don't have with me my laptop, or at moments when I need to take a super clear shot on any document such as memos, announcements, or even receipts at supermarkets or hardware stores which I could use as a proof of purchase or for reimbursements.

Thanks, Microsoft!

Pros

Microsoft Office Lens solves the day whenever a need for crystal-clear scanning of photos or documents arises. It's the go-to application when you're out and suddenly feel the need for a handy mobile scanner, realizing that it's an application in your smartphone.

The tool is easy-to-use although the walk-through tutorial upon installing it is of great help too. The buttons' functions are simple yet so powerful. I use it a lot in scanning documents and taking snapshots of words written on a whiteboard.

It's also a recommended software for taking random shots whose quality are at par with those of other top applications out in the market, or maybe better.

Cons

The scanning feature is one of the best and it's so reliable when used. If I may suggest though, the focusing task is sometimes a little annoying especially if the correct shape or outline is not easily met. But overall, it's best at what it does which is performing like an actual scanning machine.

Lydia T.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Office Lens for Focus and Clarity

Reviewed on 4/1/2021

Office Lens helps me take clear images of documents so that I can keep an efficient record of important information.

Pros

I use Office Lens to capture clear images of documents. The app has a helpful feature that allows me to focus my camera on the document I want to photograph and avoid capturing most (if not all) of the negative space in the surrounding area.
It works along with other apps on my phone, so I can choose to save the image to my photo gallery, One Drive, Microsoft Word, PDF, etc.

Cons

Every now and again the image will be captured at a slight angle so that the desk or surface beneath the document will be seen to one side the image captured, however it is a small issue, since I am given the option to crop and align the photo before saving it.

Verna A.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Outstanding capabilities

Reviewed on 20/12/2019

It's okay, it's no because with all my office software so I don't have to change a thing and even stores in Dropbox and everywhere else I need it.

Pros

Well I use office lens at home and at the office. The scanning software is amazing it does there's no smudges there's no glare when you skating any type of documents they come out at looking just like you type them up it's perfect for office use. The pros for me is as far as getting in the home photos and memories.
Office lens make photo's pop. office lens has the ability to take to make older faded worn photos look like you just snapped the picture yesterday. I've never had to go in and enhance a photo with office lens or change anything I could just scan it in and make a print copy beautifully. I had a free trial and ended up switching and not going back to my old Lenox.

Cons

I like you too. It's very easy software to use.

Alejandro Y.

A completely free sw to store images of important data like blackboards, documents and pictures

Reviewed on 24/9/2019

Excellent software to take quick pictures and share as professional documents and scans.

Pros

Absolutely free, no need for Office 365 to use it. You just have to have a normal outlook or live account. Or a Microsoft account. Great alternative to AdobeScan and CamScanner.
Automatic recognizance of documents, blackboard, pictures and business cards to store it to the optimum quality.
Automatically fix the document angle in the picture to make it look like
Cut or fix the picture to the size you want. It uses snaps to easily and faster image cutting.
For business cards, the infomation is extracted and can be shared as .vcf or store it in your phone.
All the pictures can be store in OneDrive as .docx (as OCR document), jpeg/png (in your phone gallery), .pdf, pptx, or in OneNote.
When saving to a document, the original and if it applied, the layers of the picture are saved.
For blackboards, the images are saved as picture and as drawings /stencils, so they can be copied and pasted to other documents or emails.
View the images saved in your phone and share.
Take pictures in bulk.
Change the resolution of the picture to take. By default it uses a medium resolution. Around 5mpx.

Cons

Sometimes slow but I can accept it because it is recognizing a lot of information in the picture, figuring out what is.
No document can be saved locally, only the pictures.

Sebastian L.

Really cool features

Reviewed on 6/2/2020

Overall, Office lens is a must-have application for every person that has either a Office 365 account or a personal Microsoft account. I use it almost every day to capture pictures of whiteboard drawings and upload them automatically to my OneNote.

Pros

It is really convenient to have a mobile scanner that uploads pictures taken of printed documents, whiteboards and even spreadsheets and converts them and stores in your preferred cloud storage solution.

Cons

It can be a bit confusing to set up, especially if you have both a personal Microsoft account and a Work or School account (Office 365) on your mobile. Sometimes it wants to save to your personal OneDrive but tries to authenticate with your work credentials.

Haley J.

Great Service

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

I loved using Microsoft Office Lens because it really helped increase my overall productivity at work throughout the day.

Pros

I loved using Microsoft Office Lens. I recently switched to a new service due to company policy but i really prefer Office Lens because of the diverse array of options for completing activities throughout my day.

Cons

Like many Microsoft products, Office Lens is not always compatible with Mac or Apple products. I often experience logouts or glitches when working on my iPhone or Mac computer.

Katherine R.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Totally love it

Reviewed on 9/10/2019

Love it

Pros

I used to use cam scanner but this are so much better in so many ways, i can take pictures to whiteboard at my collage and save them in pretty high quality!

Cons

Nothing i love how it sincronize with my one drive cloud and i dont lose anything

Maria C.
  • Industry: Human Resources
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Microsoft Office Lens easy to use

Reviewed on 8/12/2019

Pros

Microsoft Office Lens easy to use for any user

Cons

Microsoft Office Lens an open system requires protection

Amrit V.
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Only phone scanning i've come across

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Pros

Very easy to use - just take a photo and it converts it - easy to email to yourself.

Cons

Not sure how secure the software is or whether they store the photos

Steve R.
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

decent software

Reviewed on 17/3/2020

Pros

I like that I'm able to scan my receipts and keep them organized.

Cons

This is a new app and may need a few more updates

Sartaj Q.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Lets me scan and search my notes

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

I scan my lecture notes and reminders for various tasks. I don't need to take my notepad around with me as I can just search my notes from my phone or laptop.

Pros

This is a highly useful tool for scanning handwritten notes and converting them to text. It is fast, linked to my Microsoft OneNote, and saves everything to the cloud.

Cons

I have occasionally faced some issues connecting to the cloud or signing in and syncing all my changes to OneNote.

Sandipan C.

I have been using this app for a long time. The auto detection feature during clicking is...

Reviewed on 14/11/2020

Pros

I have been using Microsoft office lens for more than two years now. I find it is a great improvement to what I was previously using. The Best feature that I like about this app is that it auto detects and crops the subject during picture clicking and saves time, unlike other apps where auto cropping is done as a post processing part. Being a free tool, office lens offers OCR feature for exporting to text format in PDF and Word, which is often missing in the free versions of peer apps . Thirdly, It doesn't add a watermark to the output files.

Cons

The user should be allowed to tweak the parameters that control the picture quality. Some peer apps have the option of regulating the contrast, sharpness, details and brightness as soon as the pictures are clicked and cropped. Second, office lens should support more options than scanning from just documents, business cards, etc (for example, powerpoints and greeting cards offered in peer apps).

Modise T.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Software Review

Reviewed on 25/12/2020

A sure time saver, where I have to gather and communicate a client's ideas input without affecting their time line. In general I believe to the office worker, it should be thanked for destroying permanently the office scan machine queues and bringing a communicable scan to hand. It definately saves the none collateral presence, where you can just quickly scan and submit especially for mitigation purposes without being there physically.

Pros

An instance where binary actually steals work from a machine. One piece of software that completely and in a new way replaces the physical scanner. Without much aligning instructions, as machine scanner would require: lens without much ado grabs your document in to the digital and gives you the whole right to toy and toggle it to you desired shape without without infringing the actual content. Having shot/taken that image, even if you are a bad aim, when you have managed to take the image you can without any level of skill or technicality set it to your desired appearance. One last catch is you do not have to fiddle with much formating to produce a generally consumable jpeg scan and in hand where you can share, send or save with the touch of a button. In this generation of on point funneling, it is important to deliver before you say I can, which lens does so vividly.

Cons

As a camera dependent software, your make of camera or phone can hamper output as it depends on your pixels and ambient light.

Chikadibia E.

Best Scanner App

Reviewed on 20/2/2021

I have used and fell in love with this software that I find it difficult to pinpoint a thing I least like about it. Generally, the software has been wonderful and a time saver and stress reliever. I cannot remember the last time I went to computer shops for scanning.

Pros

Office Lens is the best scanner app I have used. It is worth 5 stars. The premium android version can copy out text from sheets, read text directly from scanning and save documents in pdf and other formats too.
This app is recommended for all students and office workers for best obtainable portable scanning without depending on traditional scanning machines.

Cons

It is difficult for me to find what I do not like about this software.

Dianne R.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Microsoft Lens user

Reviewed on 20/8/2020

Im now able to scan a document, or entire screen. I'm able to export into the Microsoft ecosystem.

Pros

The features i think are most impactful is being able to turn your computer of smartphone into a scanner that puts in business cards, documents and receipts into OneNote.

Cons

Only missing feature is not being able to save scanned documents into the gallery.

Andre luiz L.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

versatility and everything

Reviewed on 11/9/2020

It is a formidable application. Great supplier quality and that makes file scanning much easier.

Pros

One of the best ways to digitize files using a smartphone. Compatible with several OS. It allows instant edits to the caputures and eliminates the need for large scanner equipment. With it you can scan files wherever you are using just a smartphone. Allows the user to choose the output format of the jpg jpg file among others.

Cons

I've never had any problems. However, it has a limitation that is the user's own, depending on the hardware of the equipment, it may be that a smartphone as a simpler camera cannot achieve an image quality.

Ludovic L.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Very good pocket scanner

Reviewed on 18/4/2020

Scanning documents or paperboard is now very simple !

Pros

Microsoft Office Lens is very easy to use. It is efficient for scanning documents with a smartphone or to backup paperboard for further use. It is fully integrated with OneDrive.

Cons

No great defaults for this product. OCR function sometimes needs manual correction, but this is accpetable for this kind of (free) product.

Ronit N.

Great tool to scan useful documents on the go

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

Microsoft lens allows me to seamlessly scan all important data that I need to send to my clients and the image to text feature has helped me to scan numerous business card without a hassle.

Pros

Pros: Converts images into great scanned formats such as pdfs and jpegs.
Easy to use.
The filters can do magic on a document.
Sometimes produces better results than an average scanner.
Seamless integration with One Drive.

Cons

Cons:
Slightly difficult for first time users.
Bit of a learning curve when compared to the Google alternative.

Andrés W.
  • Industry: Packaging & Containers

The photocopy room in my hand

Reviewed on 7/1/2020

I use Microsoft Office Lens to scan documents in a (almost) professional way. I keep all my documents into OneDrive, so the workflow is really easy.

Pros

Microsoft Office Lens lets you scan into PDF (or OCR) a document, screen, board or image.
It's a really powerful software and very smooth. It has the function to export it directly to the Microsoft Office ecosystem.

Cons

You can't save the scanned documents directly into the gallery. Sometimes it fails or crashes. Nothing else bad to say about it.

Tamás H.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

The best

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

Pros

I really like this app, because it is easy to use, scans documents, photos properly, and I can upload easily to OneDrive or share to my contacts.

Cons

Sometimes it takes too long time to upload my documents to OneDrive.

Adrianne J.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Its an essential part of business

Reviewed on 20/5/2020

Pros

This program allows me to do everything from writing a letter to making a label!

Cons

There isn't much I don't like about this software!

• Industry: Aviation & Aerospace
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

The best app to scan docs securely

Reviewed on 25/2/2021

It solves the problem of the requirement of a hardware scanner to be carried.

Pros

I love the accuracy with which the app is able to scan various documents and the trustworthiness of its user base for the safety of the same.

Cons

The interface of the app is not so pleasing to use. Personalization tools should be provided for the same.

Javin Z.
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Good for school work or assignments.

Reviewed on 27/9/2020

I realized that you can easily scan a document and then you can edit the document if it has text on it. It is really good in my opinion.

Pros

If you have an assignment that you want to take a picture of this app will help you with that. The free features are good and I recommended anyone who is in school or university to use this.

Cons

None. I do not have any problems with Office Lens.

Giovani A.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Simple, accessible and useful, Microsoft Office Lens is the best choice when scanning...

Reviewed on 16/2/2020

This valuable app can help a lot with quick scans that also demands quality nowadays. I liked the fact that you can use it in your smartphone and in our computer without any problem! This program is endeed a great resource at the work or for any other personal activities involving the digitisation of physical documents.

Pros

Easy to use and takes a low amount of storage space.

Cons

Since it is a free program from Microsoft, I would like to see it being advertised more often by the company for Office and Windows users that are unaware about the software!