Microsoft Lens

OCR solution for businesses of all sizes

4.6/5
4.5/5
4.6/5
4.5/5

Jim Paul

Scanning Made Easy with Office Lens

Reviewed on 5/11/2020

Microsoft Office Lens is a reliable tool that provides scanning services for free but with maximum quality. On top of all these perks, it's just a click away from your smartphone. I use it during meetings when I don't have with me my laptop, or at moments when I need to take a super clear shot on any document such as memos, announcements, or even receipts at supermarkets or hardware stores which I could use as a proof of purchase or for reimbursements.

Thanks, Microsoft!

Pros

Microsoft Office Lens solves the day whenever a need for crystal-clear scanning of photos or documents arises. It's the go-to application when you're out and suddenly feel the need for a handy mobile scanner, realizing that it's an application in your smartphone.

The tool is easy-to-use although the walk-through tutorial upon installing it is of great help too. The buttons' functions are simple yet so powerful. I use it a lot in scanning documents and taking snapshots of words written on a whiteboard.

It's also a recommended software for taking random shots whose quality are at par with those of other top applications out in the market, or maybe better.

Cons

The scanning feature is one of the best and it's so reliable when used. If I may suggest though, the focusing task is sometimes a little annoying especially if the correct shape or outline is not easily met. But overall, it's best at what it does which is performing like an actual scanning machine.

Besim
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Very good pocket scanner

Reviewed on 6/6/2021

Pros

It is very easy to use and very fast snapshots. It will automatically detect pages and very high quality.

Cons

That sometimes it takes a few seconds to reach the exact corners of my scanned paper.

Jasmine
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great for converting images

Reviewed on 29/11/2022

Overall I loved using this app during school because I always have to convert images

Pros

I like how easy it is to convert my images into pdf files

Cons

Sometimes the images take some time to convert

Jessica

Confusing Set-Up

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Took months to get set-up all the way completed as there was an issue with the Microsoft customer service reps not being able to assist with set-up or integration. Very frustrating experience.

Pros

Microsoft is one of the world's leading software's, so it integrates with most other products nicely.

Cons

The customer service for set-up was awful, took weeks to get everything properly set up and the customer service reps don't seem to know what they are talking about.

Kimberly
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Microsoft Lens has been a very useful Tool for Scanning Expense Reports

Reviewed on 18/10/2022

My overall experience with Microsoft Lens has been great! It is very easy to use and has been a time saving great tool that allows me to scan documents and receipts from anywhere straight into my OneDrive server.

Pros

I use Microsoft Lens to scan all of my receipts for my expense reports to OneDrive. It is very easy, and it scans them to pdf or jpg straight to the company one drive and they are very clear and straight scans. This app is very easy to use and saves a lot of time when I go to put my expense report together.

Cons

On occasion the glare from the shadows in the room will show up on the scans it would be nice if there was a way for the camera to remove those automatically from the scans.

Vivek
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Easy Scan with Smartphone

Reviewed on 9/7/2022

I love this application, it is free to use, easy to use. Scanning documents is very easy with this application. It is very useful application in all ways for scanning. Scanning made easy by this application

Pros

First of all it from Microsoft, the most trusted software company in the world. Microsoft Lens is very useful application in scanning division. I am using this application from last 2 years and I like it very much. It does not show watermark in scanned docs or photos. You can choose filters for the scanned docs, Image clarity is adjusted according to the smartphone. scanning get adjusted as per the size of page, photo or anything that you want to scan.

Cons

All about this application is loveable, no one can say this application is not useful.

Heather
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Most of the time you get what you want or need.

Reviewed on 1/5/2022

Office Lens overall is a good software that allows an user who has some IT background to create folders, fix documents, find "like" documents, and save receipts plus more to your phone. It allows an user to create an organized section of your cloud that contains only the documents/images you saved.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the ease of the camera controls. The controls work right in line with your phone and makes it easy for someone who is literate to computers or phones to save your work in folders or combine documents.

Cons

My least favorite thing about the software is the directions are very hard to understand or lacking verbage to give you a better idea how to use the software.

Netram

Save your time by switching into Microsoft Lens.

Reviewed on 29/11/2022

Overall I am very happy with Microsoft Lens specially with excel table extractor.

Pros

Microsoft lens is an amazing tool for scanning any documents, text extractor and convert to documents into Microsoft 365 docs. I personally like scanning excel table and it really helps me to save my time from typing again.

Cons

Although Microsoft Lens is good enough to use for text extractor but still I think they should improve OCR functionalities because it is failed to identify some words or characters.

Andrew
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Microsoft lens is go for managing my receipts and capturing wall boards

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

Enjoy using the product, it may do more that I use it for but it satisfies my requirements

Pros

FreeEasy to install on mobile deviceEasy to use and share documents with other users or devices I use

Cons

No cons so far I’ve only use it for basic requirements. The product works well and I have never had any problems

Maisy
  • Industry: Computer Networking

An alternative to google lens!

Reviewed on 24/12/2022

Pros

Easy to use and an great alternative to gogole lens! it can copy text from the world and turn it into digital, e.g you wrote down some notes and want to add them to your digital note books, it can do that!

Cons

It's owned by microsoft, they unfortunately are collecting data on everything you use their products for... although so does google... it's just the unfortunate time we are in.it used bing for searching specific things.. which is horrible

Sandipan

I have been using this app for a long time. The auto detection feature during clicking is...

Reviewed on 14/11/2020

Pros

I have been using Microsoft office lens for more than two years now. I find it is a great improvement to what I was previously using. The Best feature that I like about this app is that it auto detects and crops the subject during picture clicking and saves time, unlike other apps where auto cropping is done as a post processing part. Being a free tool, office lens offers OCR feature for exporting to text format in PDF and Word, which is often missing in the free versions of peer apps . Thirdly, It doesn't add a watermark to the output files.

Cons

The user should be allowed to tweak the parameters that control the picture quality. Some peer apps have the option of regulating the contrast, sharpness, details and brightness as soon as the pictures are clicked and cropped. Second, office lens should support more options than scanning from just documents, business cards, etc (for example, powerpoints and greeting cards offered in peer apps).

Rezwanul Haque

Microsoft Office Lens for each gadget

Reviewed on 12/2/2022

Microsoft Office Lens filters reports, cards, and whiteboards with your Android telephone, making them more decipherable, and now and again editable.

Pros

This application is an extraordinary method for getting sorted out the entirety of your stuff. It's not difficult to utilize and it incorporates well with other Office applications. It can assist you with monitoring everything from tacky notes and business cards to receipts. Since it utilizes Optical Character Recognition, it gives preferred lucidity over ordinary photograph-taking projects and cameras. It might provide you with a decent picture of terrible penmanship.

Office Lens permits you to alter straightforwardly from the picture. Assuming you feel that your substance needs clarifying or has excluded something significant, you can include the picture from your gadget and afterward save it in the most appropriate model.

The way that you can change over your picture into various document designs, like Word, PDF, and PowerPoint guarantees that the picture can be opened from any client gadget, particularly assuming you are sharing it in a gathering discussion.

Cons

Some of the time white part is left on the filtered pictures.

On occasion, the quality naturally gets compromised.

Ramesh
  • Industry: Media Production

Microsoft Office Review

Reviewed on 11/3/2020

Overall you experience is very good I am for this software and also my collegues who use it .. Its the most widely package in my office.....

Pros

Its being over 20 yrs I a have being 20 yrs I being using this software apart from the existing features lots of new features are added over the years like autosave, now days it understands what you want to type ....Its simple to use and value for money. It can be any application I use from Word to excel or powerpoint the experience is amazing...You dont get lost if don't know anything the help button helps you...

Cons

Frankly there is nothing I really miss in the software . Almost all the features are there in the package.Only thing is it takes time to load otherwise its amazing

Nicholas
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Worth a revisit

Reviewed on 14/5/2022

I had used Lens early in its life when it helped to capture documents and put them in our OneDrive. It was simple and straight-forward. The feature i appreciated most at the time was its ability to crop at an angle to account for the angle at which items were being captured.
It was earlier this year that i had a colleague recommend revisiting it. As we had been thoroughly impressed with the improvements Edge and other products had been making with Immersive Reader, they demonstrated the improvements in the text capture and output to Immersive Reader that had developed since last I looked at Lens. It has now become a tool at the ready when I am given a hand out to read and I augment my slow reading speed with the help of Immersive reader and the read aloud tools.
We have since begun looking at the application of using it with teachers that have print outs that may need to be digitized for students that need them presented in a digital format and the teacher cannot get to the scanner. It is nice to have the tool available when they need it.

Pros

The immersive reader. I have been using lens to capture and convert materials to use in Immersive Reader with the Read Aloud feature. The ability to extract text and convert it to the Immersive Reader is impressive. And then the functionality of Immersive Reader to assist in reading and hearing it read has improve my retention and focus .

Cons

Some of the export workflows do not seem as intuitive as I'd like. When capturing something to share with a student it is harder to choose some of the shared locations in iOS. This is relatively moot as the features for Lens are often also found in the OneNote app.

Kosara
  • Industry: Furniture

"Great document scanning app"

Reviewed on 4/5/2021

It is simple to use.I can simply save to my photo Gallery,so there's no requirements to use any Microsoft cloud services.

Pros

I can quickly scan my paper documents,and export them as multi-page PDF files.I have been utilizing Microsoft Office Lens focal point for a long time,and I am very satisfied.
It is truly useful and simple to utilize software.I use it also on my telephone.
My filtering commerce cards could be a idealize fit for this kind of app.

Cons

To be honest,there isn't anything in the app that I really miss.Almost every function is included in the kit.
The only drawback is that it takes a long time to load,otherwise it's fantastic.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Microsoft Office Lens -

Reviewed on 10/2/2020

Pros

I have been using MIcroosft Office Lens for a long time and I am very satisfied. It is excellent to scan papers and documents in a fast way. It is really helpful and easy to use software. You can crop and edit your documents on the go and upload it on your cloud. I use it on a daily basis for my job and in personal life.

Cons

None. I like everything about Microsoft Office Lens.

Adriana
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Love Microsoft Office Lens

Reviewed on 18/2/2020

I am saving my company a lot of time by using Office Lens. This is a very fast and easy way to send PDF's.

Pros

I love that i could scan stuff very easily by just taking a picture it automatically crops it for me, and it's ready to go. Easy as 1 - 2 - 3.

Cons

Theirs nothing bad to say about this application.

Diego
  • Industry: Accounting

Microsoft Lens - Best PDF Scanner

Reviewed on 6/7/2022

Pros

Best of all is the ease and technology with which this app can scan physical files, in the company we use it because it gives us the same quality as a printer scanner, with this app we scan all the documents that our clients bring us to digitize them quickly and accurately. With this we manage to order them in a better way in our computer system

Cons

I do not see any cons of this app, it works very well and without errors.

Ayaz
  • Industry: Hospitality

Scanner in a Pocket

Reviewed on 24/6/2022

So far I have been extremely pleased with the ease of use and user friendly aspects, not to mention the cost or no cost to be more accurate

Pros

The versatility of being able to scan all kind of documents, photos and even the handwritten notes is a plus. This can easily replaced your old fashioned Rolodex. It allows you to scan business cards and automatically drop it in your contacts (no more bulky wallets). Since Fax machines are so 2020, this allows you to create an attachment for your emails in an instant.

Cons

May take steady hands to get the corners lined up

Abdul
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Why Microsoft Office Lens

Reviewed on 5/7/2021

To be Honest MS Office Lens is really saving time by its text extracting tools and scanning feature.

Pros

following features really impressed me;
1. by taking picture of any written form you can easily extract the text and simply copy it to MS words and save the time of typing
2. one can scan the documents and adds pages by scaning others by using camera and then convert it to desired format either PDF, DOCX, WORD, EXCEL
3. one can extract the tables as well

Cons

only thing that i least like about MS Office Lens is, some of its features are to purchased which are bit expensive

Ludovic
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Very good pocket scanner

Reviewed on 18/4/2020

Scanning documents or paperboard is now very simple !

Pros

Microsoft Office Lens is very easy to use. It is efficient for scanning documents with a smartphone or to backup paperboard for further use. It is fully integrated with OneDrive.

Cons

No great defaults for this product. OCR function sometimes needs manual correction, but this is accpetable for this kind of (free) product.

Dianne
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Microsoft Lens user

Reviewed on 20/8/2020

Im now able to scan a document, or entire screen. I'm able to export into the Microsoft ecosystem.

Pros

The features i think are most impactful is being able to turn your computer of smartphone into a scanner that puts in business cards, documents and receipts into OneNote.

Cons

Only missing feature is not being able to save scanned documents into the gallery.

Shawn

Like a pocket scanner

Reviewed on 17/11/2019

I have been using MS Office Lens for a while. I absolutely love it. I see my self frequently needing to scan papers and business cards and it works flawless. I have it save all my documents to OneDrive.

Pros

I like that it is literally like a scanner in your pocket. It can take photos of documents and whiteboards and turn them into perfect copies in Word and pdf files. You can easily store them in OneDrive. I also like that it automatically crops the paper or whiteboard to save you time.

Cons

I really didn’t dislike anything about them software.

Anand
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Best way to scan and immaterialize physical documents and photos

Reviewed on 28/4/2022

Pros

It's really easy to use firstly. I had to switch to this from camscanner because of a government ban in my country and it has done the exact functionalities of camscanner but better. And since it's Microsoft, it's totally trustworthy. Nothing more to say about it other than it being an app that does its job best!

Cons

Nothing at all. It works as advertised and Is the perect alternative to anyone looking for a camscanner clone

• Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Great software for those with little time for scanning documents.

Reviewed on 3/4/2020

Just fantastic - I highly recommend this software to anyone trying to reduce their need for scanning hardware.

Pros

It is simply great - I have a whiteboard session in the boardroom, then snap the board, instantly the board is documented in my Onedrive forever.

Cons

It could be faster, but really this is not an issue. The pros absolutely make up for any lagging of the software.