Lumen5

AI-based video creating, editing and marketing platform

4.5/5
4.3/5
4.7/5
4.6/5

114 Software options

Monica W.

My Lumen5 Review

Reviewed on 1/6/2021

I really like Lumen5. You don't have to know about video editing at all to be able to use it, they make it very easy to create any type of videos. You choose a video, audio, add your words to be displayed, and you can also add a voice over. It's simple and great at the same time. I highly recommend it!

Pros

I love how easy it is to create a video with Lumen5. Even with the free plan it's really great. Lots of videos and audio tracks to choose from.

Cons

There are no cons with Lumen5. I think it's great. There is a watermark with the free plan, but that's not an issue. If that's a problem you can always upgrade.

Jennifer S.

Fun and Easy!

Reviewed on 24/12/2018

I love that it keeps emailing me with suggestions and new ideas to present my messages/blog content. I honestly have forgotten in between videos that I even have access to this software...and then I get an email with my own content in a video that Lumen5 created and it jazzes me up to want to edit it and create my own video and share my content in a new way. It's like an accountability coach that sends me a reminder every time I post a new blog. I love that!

Pros

First of all, I love that it gave me the idea to make videos out of my blogs! I love that it keeps me up to date on that idea by sending me sample videos that it created for me automatically. I have not loved the automatic ones, but it gives me the nudge I need to be able to create what I prefer and then share a pretty cool product that I made in a very short period of time.

Cons

I don't like the videos it creates for me so far. I don't think the automatic program has any idea how to handle my perspective/approach - the automatic videos are very basic.

Nevlynn J.

Very Easy to Use Tool for Creating Great Social Media Videos

Reviewed on 15/11/2017

Makes my messages stand out against the plain text versions of my competitors.

Pros

It is super easy to create social media videos using plain text or blog content. I use it to promote events and interesting new product features to share on our social media channels. I have been using the free version for a while and you miss no functionalities whatsoever, the only thing is the video quality is lower than if you have a paid account which is fine for our business. Am considering an upgrade.

Cons

No big dislikes but it would be great if you could also upload your own music files, currently you can only use the music they have in their own database which is free to use and probably the reason why.

Depp L.
  • Used for 6-12 months

saves time while creating video

Reviewed on 30/4/2018

Time saving and easy to manage

Pros

I had to spend hours on creating video content for my business. Lumen5 has optimized my time, now I'm able to create videos from posts in 5 minutes. I also have access to a wide range oh high quality images

Cons

The subscription is pricey. It will improve if templates and more text style options are added. Also, Video recording should be supported too.

Response from Lumen5

Hi Leonard,

Thanks for the review! We're so glad it's saving you time. Just out of curiosity, how much time on average has it saved you per video?

Thanks!

Software Review

Reviewed on 7/1/2019

Been able to create short videos in under half an hour for bloggers and small businesses. Outstanding live action visual and stock music.

Pros

Easy to use. Access from all devices available. Have not experieneced any glitvhes.

Cons

The software on video play back/preview is a little delayed. However unsure if that is also affected by my wifi signal.

Miguel P.

An easy way to transform your posts into videos

Reviewed on 8/4/2018

An easy way to transform your posts into videos

Pros

- you can make a video from a post in 2 minutes: just paste the link, choose the titles, put some images/videos, and its done!
- you have unlimited videos per month
- you have access to premium stock images and videos to put in your videos
- you can export in 720p or 1080p (depends on your plan)

Cons

- you do not have pre-existent templates
- its expensive for what it does: 99/per month in the premium plan

Mary d. B.
  • Industry: Publishing

Lumen5 Rocks It!

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

Pros

Lumen was the first online video production site that made me wonder why I did things manually for so long. Easy to use, extensive stock images and video clips, audio and the ability to create something that looks professional.

Cons

The blog post video creation. Not something I would use but it may come in useful for other people.

Suzanne S.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Too much editing required

Reviewed on 17/10/2019

It wasn't a good fit for me. I'm glad I had a year to try it without paying. I wouldn't have been happy paying for what I got.

Pros

I got a year's use of their higher tier for free. That's really about all I can say in terms of pros.

Cons

The slides weren't broken up in a way that made sense. The photos and videos the program chose to accompany the text didn't relate to the text, and very often there were limited resources available to use with the text for the videos. There was just not enough relevance and the videos took too much time to edit that it wasn't workable for me.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Easy Way to Make Captioned Videos Fast

Reviewed on 1/4/2019

Overall, I like Lumen5 because it makes repurposing my blog content into video an easier and quick process. It also helps me make visually appealing videos quicker.

Pros

You can upload a link to an article and lumen5 will automatically create a video with images and captions. This makes the video creation process quicker and easier.

Cons

Sometimes the automated captions do not actually make sense and you will have to go into the video and re-edit.

Richard M.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Great video software

Reviewed on 8/8/2019

Happy with this product overall and use whenever I have a need.

Pros

I use this to create social media videos to advertise jobs I am recruiting for and it is one of the best I have tried tend to use it on the free license version as do not need the upgrade at the moment

Cons

little clunky to use when you use a document to create content but with a little time, it comes right.

• Industry: Photography

Simple tool for social videos

Reviewed on 7/9/2018

Using it to create social videos to promote blog posts.

Pros

This is very simple to use, so there's not much to it. I was able to produce about 10 social videos in less than 40 minutes, and it was the first time I had tried using the software so no major pitfalls there. I like the fact that you can select different kinds of transitions and templates. There's also an option to add music to your video, so that's nice as well.

Cons

For the lifetime plan that I got through Appsumo, I was not able to produce HD videos and the SD quality pixelated some of my images. I also would have liked to be able to upload custom fonts, which is an option, but you have to pay for it separately. The transitions are not as easy to edit and when the tool picked up the images by itself from a blog post, it captured some photos that had nothing to do with it. Other than this, it does what it should!

Alexa Z.

Love Video Making With This App

Reviewed on 20/4/2019

Very generous platform and so easy to use! I highly recommend Lumen5!!

Pros

I love creating videos with Lumen5. So excited to see all the new HD videos to add as well! It makes it so simple to create! Love it!

Cons

It can be difficult to add pages where you want them to be FROM the text you import. The typically are added to the bottom of the video.

Lumen 5 is awesome

Reviewed on 9/5/2019

I love using Lumen 5 to create quick videos

Pros

Fast and easy software to create quick videos with text.

Cons

You must pay to upgrade for additional features and customizations.

Grade A for Lumen

Reviewed on 27/3/2019

Pros

Lumen5 is a dream when it comes to make a video to support your article or blog post. The ease of use, the pre-set options, the accompanying photos and music all make this a top notch product. The free version has almost everything.

Cons

I wish there was a tier for paying. The price tag for a paid account cost more than I make on the videos now and I'd love for tier pricing or per video pricing. Also the inability to do voice overs takes from this software.

Kerushan G.

Best software for rapid video making

Reviewed on 4/8/2018

I needed something that could give our business a quick and efficient production line when it comes to creating video content for clients. This is clearly the best.

Pros

The workflow provides the BEST solution for rapidly producing video content. The speed at which content is produced makes this a clear winner. Also, this software also solves the problem of attribution.

Cons

The range of available stock video footage and music themes could be better.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Easy to use to create videos

Reviewed on 24/4/2019

Pros

Makes creating "social videos" quick and easy. Just import text or point to a URL and it's "ai" will pull out excerpts and stock video to use. You can easily edit the video and the text with limited formatting options. Overall, for a basic social video, it's quick and easy to do.

Cons

The free account requires you to put in a large outro credit to Lumen5. The interface is a bit buggy at times, but not a deal breaker. Depending on the length and complexity of the video, it does take a while to process and create the video.

Manuel C.
  • Industry: Photography

Improve your SEO with Blog videos

Reviewed on 30/11/2018

Pros

If you have a blog, you should know that video is amazing and will help you boost your SEO. You can do it now by using the same content you already have. Just need the URL of an article and Lumen5 will take care of the rest.

Cons

The software can be pricey, but over time will become a really good investment.

Heather A.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Perfect for anyone just getting started with video

Reviewed on 10/12/2018

Pros

it's easy to use and you can upload a blog post and have it automatically create a video which is a great time saver

Cons

the fact that their branding is at the end of each video but that's only fair as i only use the free version

Abigail N.

Easy way to convert blog posts to videos

Reviewed on 13/7/2018

Pros

Here's what I liked about Lumen5
1. Creating a video is pretty straightforward: After signing up, you'll be taken to your dashboard. Click on the create video button, after which you'll be shown 3 options, create a video from an article or blog post, copy & paste your content, or create a video from scratch.

2. Instant Videos: According to Lumen5 "These are intelligently crafted videos based on your blog posts." to create an instant video you'll have to add at least 1 RSS feed. After adding a feed you'll get the notification "Successfully added! We're analyzing that feed and will send you an email when we have videos ready." It took roughly 5 minutes to receive the email but instead of waiting for the email, after two minutes I refreshed the instant videos page and there were already draft videos from my blog posts. I could then edit their suggestions and tailor it to my needs.

3. Media Gallery: Lumen5 had their gallery of images, stock music and gifs which I could use to make my videos. I liked that I could upload my own images.

4. Video Orientation: I liked that I could make a landscape 16:9 video, or a square 1:1 video.

5. Video length: Lumen5 lets you choose what speed you want the "slides" to play at, this determines the length of the video. You can choose fast, slow or normal. The number of slides also determines how long your video would be.

Cons

1. Instant Videos: I added 2 RSS feeds to Lumen5, one was to my LGBT book blog and the other was to my marketing blog. I wanted to see what intelligent videos they would create and while the video for my marketing blog was good, the videos for my book blog was horrible.
The images suggested did not match any of the blog posts. This is probably because while they have a good media gallery, the images are mostly generic or marketing related, so I had to replace all the images in the video.
What I think should be done: I think they need to add more diversity to the images in their media gallery. I know there is an option to upload my own image but I still think they need to have a varied selection of images that can be used for non-marketing related videos. I also think they need to improve their AI to select suitable images for a video.

2. Video Speed/Lenght: Currently the length of the video depends on the number of slides and the video speed, ie fast, slow or normal. However, if you choose "fast" this speed is applied to all the slides.
What I think should be done: I'd like to be able to vary the speed of each slide, there are some slides I'd like to be longer than the rest because it might have a lot more info than other slides, or because I want people to take an action or notice something specific. I'd rather not have all the slides play slowly.

Brian B.

Easy Way to Create Videos From Posts

Reviewed on 12/2/2019

Pros

This is a pretty cool and easy way to generate high quality videos from blog posts/existing content. Overall, I like how it scans your content and then lays out a suggested video with images and motion animation. It also allows you to select music to give your videos more depth.

Cons

Some of the editing features are limited and lacking. This in a way keeps the production process simple and saves time, yet at times can be a bit frustrating when you'd like more options.

Ale R.
  • Industry: Newspapers

Amazing, easy and fast for make video

Reviewed on 15/2/2018

We add more content value on our site, create a new way to distribute our content on new format. We have a growing youtube channel thanks to lumen5

Pros

Make videos is really expensive and time consuming. Lumen 5 is take to next level if you work with content. Is perfect, because today people consume content on post or video.

We use it on somosmamas.com.ar to transform a post into a video in minutes, now we have a youtube channel and growing.

- Easy to use
- Good library
- Fun to use
- Low cost for make a video
- access to premium library
- improved every single day
- dont have to writte, import text for articles
- Non video expert need (forget about adobe premiere)
- Fast result
-Perfect for brief video (1-1.30min)
- Great for add a video to your content

At the moment is the best solution for video. Fast, Easy and good end result

Cons

- not all video format
- need to have better personalization
- without a discount is not cheap
- no audio recording at the moment (no voice over)
- sometimes take time on rendering the video
- need more text animation

Marco M.

The Ultimate Alchemist!

Reviewed on 14/8/2018

This is an essential software for any social media marketer or blogger that wants to upcycle content into videos. Lumen5 does the work so that I don't have to waste my time. It allows me to do so much more...with so much less.

Pros

I work hard and I often don't have the time and energy to create multiple forms of content. Lumen5 does that for me. It takes the sweat that I put into writing my blog posts and turns them into attention-grabbing videos...instantly.
All I have to do is spend a few minutes reviewing the content and then, click, I have a video.
I love how Lumen5 offers a bank of images to choose from and then has an algorithm that fits them with my content.
I love how I can alter texts, add music and speed up or slow down the images. Basically, I love that Lumen5 not only saves me time, but also gives me the freedom to customise my videos. What a software!

Cons

The functionality of voiceovers needs some attention. I'd like greater control over where I place them and how they fit into each slide.

• Used for 1+ year

Great for short, simple, text-based videos.

Reviewed on 2/4/2020

I was lucky enough to have a free 1 year subscription from AppSumo, and enjoyed it while I used it. I did not renew after the deal ended.

Pros

It made it really easy to share videos frequently on social media, without having to shoot any footage. Ideal for sharing quick tips, news, etc.

Cons

Resizing videos wasn't flawless, and sometimes updates wouldn't be saved causing work to be lost. Thankfully, it wasn't frequent.

Lindy R.
  • Industry: Executive Office

Great for Social Media Videos

Reviewed on 7/10/2020

Use it to create content for my social media. It works great.

Pros

I love the ease of use and streamlined way they've set up the dashboard when creating videos. I like that there are so many options for music and that you can pull slides in to create content.

Cons

I didn't like that the maximum length of a video is 5 minutes. I know it's for social media but I'd like to be able to use it to create longer tutorials for YouTube. I also don't like that the version I purchased through AppSumo has a watermark at the end of the videos.

Zohaib Y.
  • Industry: Design
  • Used for Free Trial

Make Videos Easily

Reviewed on 18/9/2020

Well my experience is good I use to create small videos on lumen for my social media. But now I am switched to After effects which is definitely a huge leap.

Pros

Lumen5 is one of my favorite product the best thing about lumen5 that you don't need any prior video making knowledge it's super easy to use and the results you can produce with it are wonderful. It also empowers the small startups who are looking to create content for their social media marketing.

Cons

Well the least favorite thing about lumen5 is lack of features as compared to other conventional video editing software so for the experienced people it's not a ideal option.