Lumen5

AI-based video creating, editing and marketing platform

4.6 /5 (108 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
4.5
4.3
4.7
4.6
Industry: E-Learning
Company size: Self Employed

Great for short, simple, text-based videos.

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2/4/2020

I was lucky enough to have a free 1 year subscription from AppSumo, and enjoyed it while I used it. I did not renew after the deal ended.

Pros

It made it really easy to share videos frequently on social media, without having to shoot any footage. Ideal for sharing quick tips, news, etc.

Cons

Resizing videos wasn't flawless, and sometimes updates wouldn't be saved causing work to be lost. Thankfully, it wasn't frequent.

Lindy R.
Industry: Executive Office

Great for Social Media Videos

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 7/10/2020

Use it to create content for my social media. It works great.

Pros

I love the ease of use and streamlined way they've set up the dashboard when creating videos. I like that there are so many options for music and that you can pull slides in to create content.

Cons

I didn't like that the maximum length of a video is 5 minutes. I know it's for social media but I'd like to be able to use it to create longer tutorials for YouTube. I also don't like that the version I purchased through AppSumo has a watermark at the end of the videos.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Zohaib Y.
Industry: Design

Make Videos Easily

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 18/9/2020

Well my experience is good I use to create small videos on lumen for my social media. But now I am switched to After effects which is definitely a huge leap.

Pros

Lumen5 is one of my favorite product the best thing about lumen5 that you don't need any prior video making knowledge it's super easy to use and the results you can produce with it are wonderful. It also empowers the small startups who are looking to create content for their social media marketing.

Cons

Well the least favorite thing about lumen5 is lack of features as compared to other conventional video editing software so for the experienced people it's not a ideal option.

Abigail N.

Easy way to convert blog posts to videos

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 13/7/2018

Pros

Here's what I liked about Lumen5
1. Creating a video is pretty straightforward: After signing up, you'll be taken to your dashboard. Click on the create video button, after which you'll be shown 3 options, create a video from an article or blog post, copy & paste your content, or create a video from scratch.

2. Instant Videos: According to Lumen5 "These are intelligently crafted videos based on your blog posts." to create an instant video you'll have to add at least 1 RSS feed. After adding a feed you'll get the notification "Successfully added! We're analyzing that feed and will send you an email when we have videos ready." It took roughly 5 minutes to receive the email but instead of waiting for the email, after two minutes I refreshed the instant videos page and there were already draft videos from my blog posts. I could then edit their suggestions and tailor it to my needs.

3. Media Gallery: Lumen5 had their gallery of images, stock music and gifs which I could use to make my videos. I liked that I could upload my own images.

4. Video Orientation: I liked that I could make a landscape 16:9 video, or a square 1:1 video.

5. Video length: Lumen5 lets you choose what speed you want the "slides" to play at, this determines the length of the video. You can choose fast, slow or normal. The number of slides also determines how long your video would be.

Cons

1. Instant Videos: I added 2 RSS feeds to Lumen5, one was to my LGBT book blog and the other was to my marketing blog. I wanted to see what intelligent videos they would create and while the video for my marketing blog was good, the videos for my book blog was horrible.
The images suggested did not match any of the blog posts. This is probably because while they have a good media gallery, the images are mostly generic or marketing related, so I had to replace all the images in the video.
What I think should be done: I think they need to add more diversity to the images in their media gallery. I know there is an option to upload my own image but I still think they need to have a varied selection of images that can be used for non-marketing related videos. I also think they need to improve their AI to select suitable images for a video.

2. Video Speed/Lenght: Currently the length of the video depends on the number of slides and the video speed, ie fast, slow or normal. However, if you choose "fast" this speed is applied to all the slides.
What I think should be done: I'd like to be able to vary the speed of each slide, there are some slides I'd like to be longer than the rest because it might have a lot more info than other slides, or because I want people to take an action or notice something specific. I'd rather not have all the slides play slowly.

Brian B.
Industry: Internet

Easy Way to Create Videos From Posts

Reviewed on 12/2/2019

Pros

This is a pretty cool and easy way to generate high quality videos from blog posts/existing content. Overall, I like how it scans your content and then lays out a suggested video with images and motion animation. It also allows you to select music to give your videos more depth.

Cons

Some of the editing features are limited and lacking. This in a way keeps the production process simple and saves time, yet at times can be a bit frustrating when you'd like more options.

Ale R.
Industry: Newspapers

Amazing, easy and fast for make video

Reviewed on 15/2/2018

We add more content value on our site, create a new way to distribute our content on new format. We have a growing youtube channel thanks to lumen5

Pros

Make videos is really expensive and time consuming. Lumen 5 is take to next level if you work with content. Is perfect, because today people consume content on post or video.

We use it on somosmamas.com.ar to transform a post into a video in minutes, now we have a youtube channel and growing.

- Easy to use
- Good library
- Fun to use
- Low cost for make a video
- access to premium library
- improved every single day
- dont have to writte, import text for articles
- Non video expert need (forget about adobe premiere)
- Fast result
-Perfect for brief video (1-1.30min)
- Great for add a video to your content

At the moment is the best solution for video. Fast, Easy and good end result

Cons

- not all video format
- need to have better personalization
- without a discount is not cheap
- no audio recording at the moment (no voice over)
- sometimes take time on rendering the video
- need more text animation

Marco M.
Industry: E-Learning

The Ultimate Alchemist!

Reviewed on 14/8/2018

This is an essential software for any social media marketer or blogger that wants to upcycle content into videos. Lumen5 does the work so that I don't have to waste my time. It allows me to do so much more...with so much less.

Pros

I work hard and I often don't have the time and energy to create multiple forms of content. Lumen5 does that for me. It takes the sweat that I put into writing my blog posts and turns them into attention-grabbing videos...instantly.
All I have to do is spend a few minutes reviewing the content and then, click, I have a video.
I love how Lumen5 offers a bank of images to choose from and then has an algorithm that fits them with my content.
I love how I can alter texts, add music and speed up or slow down the images. Basically, I love that Lumen5 not only saves me time, but also gives me the freedom to customise my videos. What a software!

Cons

The functionality of voiceovers needs some attention. I'd like greater control over where I place them and how they fit into each slide.

Industry: Arts & Crafts

Great service

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 27/7/2019

Pros

I love the instant videos feature. Posts from my website are extracted automatically to Lumen 5 and instantly are ready for further editing. I also love the brand preset feature, where your logo, branding colors, fonts etc are set up only once and then are available any time with one click.

Cons

I find their starter plan expensive for someone who does not a heavy content creator and needs it a couple of time during the month.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Video Creation Made Easy!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 28/12/2018

Pros

Simple and straight forward. We create a lot of videos to go with our clients blogs each month.

Cons

I find the software isn't evolving as quickly as other that I use.

William T.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Greatest Software for short videos

Reviewed on 8/1/2019

Great way to reach potential prospects easily

Pros

The simplicity of using it and the quality of it is fantastic

Cons

Nothing, I love everything about it couldn’t be easier to use

Jesse C.

Very basic advertising product

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 15/8/2019

Pros

I recommend this for small businesses getting off the ground who need to market their product or service.

Cons

As an experienced videographer it is very limited to features.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Thomas W.
Industry: Computer Software

Rapid video development, but don't think everything is made for you

Reviewed on 29/5/2018

Convenience in making video without dedicated video tool and expertise.

Pros

Easy to get started in making beautiful cookie-cutter video. Rich content library and intuitive design.

Cons

The content generated by the AI is very basic. In the end, I recreated everything, but it's kind of expected anyway.

Volkan O.
Industry: Computer Software

Prepare videos fast from your blog posts

Reviewed on 17/5/2018

Pros

I like the user interface of it. You can prepare videos very fast and it's intuitive. There are enough fonts in the library.

Cons

I think it can supply more flexibility. Text places can be arranged more detailed. Maybe they can consider adding audio too.

Stephanie R.

Game changer!

Reviewed on 5/6/2019

Pros

It's SO easy to turn a blog post into a video- which gets way more attention on social media!

Cons

I wish there was the option for longer videos.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

A fantastic tool for quick video making!

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 21/10/2019

This tool is fantastic and easy to use. I couldn't ask for more.

Pros

Lumen 5 is one of the easiest tools I've used. In minutes you can make great and eye-catching videos. It is especially great for turning written content into video form. Really really love this software.

Cons

The free trial is limited in the quality of videos you can make and so you will probably need to upgrade.

Achir S.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Best Video creation tool based on AI features

Reviewed on 4/4/2020

Overall Lumen5 is an awesome tool for growth hackers and marketer like me who spend their time in creating video ads. The super impressed by the functionality of this tool. With the help of this tool I save most of my time, I just have to make minimal adjustments whenever I create video for our campaign.

Pros

The best part about this tool is that it allows you to create your blog post into a video, You don't have to write the blog post again it just simple copy pasting the URL and you are good to go. There are thousands of images and video clips available which you can use while editing, adding any new slide or section to the video. The tool is based on AI which makes it easy to use. The interface is very user friendly which makes the customization part easy even for a non-technical persons.

Cons

The least liking factor about this tool is that when you convert the blog post into a video you cannot change the content in the blog, it only fetch the result in the URL or the content you have published. Recently I created a video by converting my blog post but sometimes as blogger we made some typing or grammar mistakes I was unable to change the script in the blog which I think needs improvement. Another thing which I dislike is sometimes it takes a lot of time in rendering the video.

Syed R.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Lumen5 –‘is my favourite tool to create content and innovative design for social media’

Reviewed on 24/9/2020

My overall experience with Lumen5 is very good. As I mentioned, This tool made mt job easy and my clients are happy. Anyone can be very creative with this tool because they have a lot of options to choose and create the design and this is really amazing.

Pros

I absolutely like the fact that Lumen5 is packed with a lot of important features such as- collaboration, audio tools, brand overlay, social sharing, and more. I can create different types of videos for my client. This tool allows you to produce highly-engaging content. I would say Lumen5 is a great source to drive the marketing team to progress. Because the resources of this tool are very useful and easy to utilize for increasing business engagement. I am using this tool for a long time to create a dynamic project for my clients and they are very happy. I think using Lumen5 is time-saving because you can finish your task quickly as their stock full of the fundamentals you need.

Cons

The costs of Lumen5 is not affordable for all. I think they should waive the price up to a certain amount. I don’t like the fact that sometimes it takes time in rendering the final video.

Ametra R.
Industry: Writing & Editing

How Book Trailers Are Born

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 11/4/2020

I have created some of the most remarkable book trailers using Lumen5; book trailers that have been highly complimented and shared across social media. They are an integral part of my marketing process and I can't imagine being without them.

Pros

As a creator, Lumen5 is a dream for me. When I decided to make book trailers, I had no idea how I could go about it, but this is SO easy to use and the catalog of available royalty-free options is immense. I have made nearly ten trailers but, aside from shared themes depending on the novel portrayed, each one is unique. From still pictures to video clips and to music - I never run out of ways to express myself and to showcase my work.

Cons

I didn't like how, when I'd go back to re-edit older book trailers, the formatting would change on its own upon loading. I've since gotten used to that and I can quickly fix it. But, I'm still not sure why that happens.

Industry: Education Management

Viral videos aren't just about being funny. They're about identity creation.

Reviewed on 14/12/2018

Lumen 5 is a great little tool to make quick videos to add to our blog posts or use as a post promotion on a variety of social media platforms.This is SO cool and informative

Pros

October 4, 2017 at 4:16 pm
I have been wanting to find an easy program or app to create short videos but many seem complicated for me, but Lumen5 Surprised me.A skill that helped me interpret information in a rational way and manage information for a given time Duration. load of a lot of feature and components are available. plus This software allows to create short videos from the website / Blog links, by entering the website/Blog URL post and utilizing their special Features to create a script for our video.
Features includes,
1.Text positioning
2.Keyword highlighting
3.Easily access millions of photos available at your finger tips.
4.Choose from thousands of free audio files and background music tracks
5.Upload your own logo and display
6.Font choices
7.Video resolution
8.Animation etc...

Can make the entire video creation process simple and intuitive

Cons

It Requires Excellent Connection When creating videos. Video results is great if you have a great connection too..

Connor M.

Amazing video creator and editor that allows you to upload a blog post for automatic video creation

Reviewed on 9/6/2018

Easily created dozens of videos for our marketing purposes. This is something I would not have thought one person would have been able to do but I was able to churn out videos without having a team to help.

Pros

We never purchased this because the free version was absolutely amazing. I was surprised there was so much functionality in the base version. The one thing the free version didn't have that I would have paid for is HD video quality but it was still good enough for our purposes. The integrated stock photos, video backgrounds, and background music is fantastic and was something I used extensively in our marketing.

Cons

It's amazing, but the one thing I wish existed that I brought up to their team is if you duplicate a previously made video, you can't change the blog post associated with it in their interface that allows you to easily copy and paste text from the blog post that the video is intended for. This is such a small complaint for an amazing free product.

Jessica F.
Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Perfect for social videos!

Reviewed on 8/1/2019

Overall, great experience!

Pros

The software is very user-friendly and makes professional social videos, sized for different platforms. The video can be customized with your campaign logo and the highlight can be set to a specific color using the hex code from design files.

Cons

The two major cons: 1) It takes forever to render the video once created. 2) The highlight can only be placed on one section of the text, not in two different sections. That makes picking what to highlight a little tricky and it's not always exactly what you want.

Linda R.
Industry: Higher Education
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

A valuable video tool for teams of any size

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 18/2/2020

This is a great tool! I suggest that anyone - soloprenuers, freelancers, larger teams - try this at least once because you'll quickly see that it's a great addition to your toolkit. We have a full-time video team and we still use this on a regular basis.

Pros

It is so easy to use, and it is versatile. Great selection of stock footage, super easy to preview and edit, and output quality is high. All around, it's a great way for small teams to quickly create videos but it still scales up for larger teams who can afford to upgrade.

Cons

Exporting sometimes takes an extremely long time, and you never know when that will happen. It's a little hard if you're up against a deadline and that particular glitch occurs.

Vivian A.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Lumen5

Reviewed on 13/11/2019

Pros

I really like how easy Lumen5 use to use to create awesome video

Cons

I dislike the pricing. I had access to Lumen5 via appsumo for 1 year.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Natalie B.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

When Lumen5 says, "Create a Video in Minutes", they weren't joking!!

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 11/2/2020

Creating more professional style videos is flawless with Lume5!

Pros

I love Lumen5 for short videos and animated videos for my social media clients. It truly is easy to easy and has a great user interface!

Cons

I usually do not like to complain about prices but Lumen5 is pricey! Starting at $19/month, on top of other services that I pay for as a marketing consultant, this seems a bit steep!

Ifeoma O.
Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

MAKING VIDEOS WITH LUMEN5

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 26/9/2019

Over, Lumen5 was a good investment and I especially loved the quality of the video.

Pros

I love the fact that I can make Videos Ads for my trainings with Lumen5 which delivers the message I want to pass across.

Cons

I don't like the fact that it's not so easy to manipulate Lumen5 especially while using the edit button. A newcomer to the app may find it cumbersome.