Pixlr

Free photo editor for graphic designers

4.5/5
4.3/5
4.5/5
4/5

Ali

Fast, powerful, smart, and very simple! The best online photo editor for daily photo editing

Reviewed on 20/2/2021

It feels great when you can do the same simple daily graphic tasks without the need for a laptop or PC. Sometimes you want to complete a graphic design with your idea and post it quickly, which has been a dream come true for me with this platform. Pixlr X is a wonderful online editing tool for me. It saves me time and money, and by reducing my design time, I can quickly post a beautiful post with my favorite text on my business social media and pages. In our company, each unit independently creates simple graphic works of its section and publishes them on the site.

Pros

Photos can be edited very quickly and quickly through the browser. Sometimes I am on the road and need to design and create a new visual post for my LinkedIn or Instagram and I need graphic work that must prepare and post in less than ten minutes via my phone or iPad. This platform is great because it is both fast and works with any device and it gives me a sense of comfort while working. It has many ready-pre-built beautiful templates. Even a beginner can edit their favorite photo and edit effects, text, and resize without the need for a professional computer.

Cons

It’s a powerful and fast tool, only some new features should be added to it and normally there is no bug or problem and everything works perfectly. Adding the following items will be much more complete and professional: Missing Curves Tool, it doesn’t support BMP and Tiff format, need auto photo extension converter tool, and the most important thing is online cloud storage space to save projects, they must add this feature.

Canva, BeFunky and Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Pixlr

Some previous apps and software either needed a computer or were not compatible with the iPad or tablet browser, which caused errors and crashes, but Pixlr X is great.

Reasons for Switching to Pixlr

Great price and better performance, and more simple photo editing tools.
Denison
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

One of my most favorite Photo editing Application - Pixlr

Reviewed on 12/11/2022

Pixlr is a straightforward and effortless application; with basic photo editing knowledge, you can do wonders.

Pros

Embedded AI is doing magic in Pixlr E & Pixlr X. Pixlr is one of the best online photo editing applications. It is a web-based application, so you don't need to install any application on the computer. Photo editing and Photo retouching can be done on any computer. The mobile application also works very well. Removing the background from the subject, adding layers, and blending two images are very easy with Pixlr. Pixlr is a high-speed and responsive platform, even if we are working with more layers in the editing. Pixlr's Inbuilt template saves time searching and finding the perfect template. Image can be edited effortlessly in Pixlr E and Pixlr X platforms. Customized templates can be created for future use.

Cons

Pixlr has downsides, like keyboard shortcuts will not work as in Photoshop and other photo editing applications. There are too many mobile application ads, which is sometimes annoying.

Deb
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Easy to use, powerful but still needs some work

Reviewed on 14/9/2021

I've been using it regularly for photo editing for the graphics I use in my business. It's easy and quick to use. If it weren't for the glitches, I'd be a raving fan. Again, I assume they're working on it and things will improve.

Pros

I like how easy it is to use. I like that it doesn't take forever to load (like Photoshop). I especially love the background remover and color replacer functions.

Cons

It's a bit glitchy. Especially the automatic background remover tool. I assume the developers are working on getting the bugs out and I'm willing to wait.

Canva

Reasons for Choosing Pixlr

Photoshop takes forever to load and it's more complicated than I need. I'm not a professional designer. I just need to make some basic edits quickly and easily. Removing a background in Pixlr takes a fraction of the time as it does in Photoshop.

Adobe Photoshop Elements

Reasons for Switching to Pixlr

Pixlr is more robust. The price is also great.
Ansh
  • Industry: Automotive

Best app to edit photos

Reviewed on 31/8/2022

The experience was great with pixlr the app is easy to use and understand. I have done lots of image editing through pixlr and posted them on my business social media pages. This has resulted in boosting our overall customer engagement and turnover. Working on pixlr was always fun and productive for me and I will recommend it to everyone who needs fast results.

Pros

The app is user-friendly and has multiple tools for editing images. Spot whitening and darkening are one of my favourite tools for editing photos. It has also an automatic mode for editing images in which the app itself edits the given images. Anyone with little creativity can bring some great results after working on pixlr.

Cons

The only thing it disliked about the app is its filters. They seem quite average and old. Pixlr need to update them as soon as possible. The tools available on the pixlr are limited and you cannot do premium-level editing with multiple tools on it.

Heberth

A practical, lightweight and powerful photo editor

Reviewed on 12/10/2022

I find Pixlr to be one of the best photo editors you can find on the market. In addition to being cross-platform, it has features that make it powerful, yet practical and lightweight. Its web version, both desktop and mobile, work smoothly and have all the editing tools you can imagine. The interface is also very well organized and this makes the software easy to use. What I like most of all the features Pixlr has are the layered editing and the AI-based background separation of images. I can't criticize this software too much, I just wish they would keep constantly updating the great templates it offers.

Pros

Definitely what I liked most about this software is the possibility of having a layered edition, like the most advanced photography software. In addition, it has novel functions that also work really well, such as the removal of the background of the images through artificial intelligence. And finally, the multiple templates offered by Pixlr deserve a special mention.

Cons

I have not disliked anything about this software, but maybe they could update the design of its interface, which is not bad because it is very well organized, but maybe it could be improved in terms of its colors, or they could also add a switch to change from a "dark mode" to a "light mode".

Anselme

Reviewed on 13/11/2022

Pros

The software is very easy to use and allows you to make very professional graphic images

Cons

The software sometimes closes on my computer for no reason.

Mane

pixlr

Reviewed on 22/10/2022

Pros

Pixlr is an application that is easy to use even if you are not a professional, because it gives us fantastic results

Cons

Such as edits recommend filers or presets which are main as they might add other elements in and regard.

• Industry: Automotive

A brief and detailed review about pixlr.

Reviewed on 11/4/2022

Overall you can use this for basic image editing or your personal use but if you want to edit some premium level high definition images then you will definitely need to combine it with some other apps too because it is not self-sufficient to give an overall full editing experience. It lacks a few good editing tools.

Pros

The product is very user friendly and easy to understand people with little knowledge of photo editing can also use pixlr and can create some good content. They brighten and darken are the features that are unique and I use them a lot I have not seen these two editing tools on any other photo editing app even auto fix , auto contrast , red eye effect these are tools that take pixlr to another level. I mostly combine them with some other editing apps and trust me guys the results are commendable. After editing all the images I put them on my business social pages. The engagement of customers has been increased a lot.

Cons

Options like real-time time editing and recommendations of filers or presets these are the main features that are missing in pixlr which can be seen is other editing platforms. It is a full manual photo editing app and will recommend you anything, tools are also limited. I have been using it for more than 2 years now but still, now I have not noticed the introduction of any major editing tool. Some of its filters are useless you can never use them they are just very dark damages image quality.

Marcius

Easy to use tool for quick edits

Reviewed on 30/3/2022

Pixlr is a pretty good tool that I've found myself using more and more recently because of it's ease of use and availability. Being "in the cloud" means that I don't have to install any software and I can use it on any computer, without needing a lot of image editing resources as other software that I have to install. I once was on a vacation and needed a quick thumbnail for a client, and I've managed to easily get the job done through my AirBNB host's computer. It's very convenient way to use the tool.
I have and still use other tools. I'm a Photoshop user for more than 10 years, but yet I'm finding myself just using Pixlr for many quick tasks because the editing I need isn't as complex as having to launch Photoshop. Nowadays design has changed a lot, and we're mostly using minimalism design even in websites, in thumbnails, in cover photos that we don't need complex photo editing. Just take a picture, add some text in a nice font and you have a cool looking thumbnail. No need for Photoshop.

Pros

A very good tool is the background removal tool. While it's not 100% perfect, it mostly does the job done admirably and you have unlimited usage. About 70% of the time there is no tweaking needed, while sometimes I do need to tweak things. It all depends on the photo you're providing.
I love the simplicity of either choosing the advanced tool - Pixlr E or the simple edit tool - Pixlr X. Because sometimes I just need to add a photo, remove a background, add a different background and put some text in, which all can be done in the simple version, and also has some nice ready-made text style templates available if you want to make it fancy and quick.
So obviously, the other ready-made templates are also a great asset if you're either out of ideas or just want to use something premade, change the colors a bit, add your text and you're good to go.
The advanced tool has almost everything you would need in an Photo editor tool. Very close to Photoshop.
A huge benefit that saved me countless pains is the autosave feature. It doesn't matter what small detail you changed, it's already saved. Probably because it's all "in the cloud" - which takes me to my next point. I can open and use it on any computer, without needing to install anything. I have a laptop that's on Windows 10 S, which doesn't allow installation of other software that can't be found in Windows Store, and I use Pixlr on it heavily. I don't want to exit the S mode just to install Photoshop.

Cons

While other tools cost a similar amount, this one is one of the cheaper ones. However, the templates available aren't that many, they could add more in this regard. I see the team is mostly focused on adding new feature instead of expanding their library, which is fine, but the library is very useful.
Another thing that's very annoying for me personally is that it doesn't work so good in Firefox versus Chrome. I understand that Chrome now is dominating, but I'm still a avid Firefox user, and I hate opening Chrome just because I encounter a bug or a tool isn't working properly.

Danielle
  • Industry: Design
  • Used for 2+ years

A Handy Tool for Specific Photo Editing Tasks

Reviewed on 28/4/2021

I use Pixlr in my web browser maybe 6 to 12 times a year when I need to do specific photo editing tasks (explained in the "Pros" section). For those occasions, I have not found a basic tool that does what I need, and I don't want to open an actual sophisticated software like Photoshop. In those instances, popping into Pixlr (which I have bookmarked) has been so quick and easy. Since I use other tools for graphic design, taking the time to learn those features in Pixlr - or to pay for Pixlr premium - doesn't make sense for me.

Pros

I can use the free version of Pixlr in my web browser without even creating an account.
Sometimes all I need is to crop or resize a photo or add a filter, and Pixlr quickly and easily does the trick. In fact, if you're uploading a really large image, Pixlr will give you a couple standard options for loading into the editor in a smaller size, such as full HD or smaller for the web. When you're done with whatever edits you wanted, in the Save/Download dialogue you again get options for adjusting the file size and dimensions. Often reducing the quality even just to 90% saves you a lot on file size while still giving you sufficient quality for your purposes.

Cons

The Pixlr developers seem to periodically modify the interface slightly and where certain options are located. Since I don't use Pixlr that frequently, sometimes I feel a little lost when opening the app after a gap. It takes me bit of extra time to find my way around again.
Also, in the free version you have to deal with ads popping up. Some are in the sidebar, but sometimes you have to close ones that cover part of the editing interface.
Both these "cons" can be a bit annoying. But I totally understand and put up with them since I don't need Pixlr so often

Braden
  • Industry: Machinery

Full Scope Free Photo Editor

Reviewed on 19/8/2021

Overall Pixlr is an excellent tool! I highly recommend for small business designers, especially if you wear multiple hats within your organization.

Pros

Per the title, you can use this free!

There are three versions of Pixlr 1) Pixlr E, which is the "advanced" version that is really intended for intermediate-to-advanced designers; and 2) Pixlr X, which is the basic photo editor, intended for entry level designers and/or quick photo editing; and 3) Pixlr Premium, this is the paid version. To clarify, Pixlr E is completely free as well, no added subscription or "pro" upgrade. Functionally, Pixlr E's platform mimics the layout and functionality of Photoshop, and Pixlr X is more closely related in function and format to Photoshop Express.

Pixlr offers a wide variety of preset templates that provide a lot of benefit to expedite the design process. You will find blank artboard templates with preset dimensions for specific social media applications, so you don't have to worry about manually adjusting your dims each time you start a new post! Additionally, they offer a wide variety of pre-designed plug-and-play templates. Created by third-party designers, these plug-and-play templates are catered to all sorts of industries and applications - need a flyer for your classroom there's a template for that, need a brochure for a new product there's a template for that. The only caveat is that not all templates are free.

Lastly, both platforms are cloud based, so you access them using the browser. This feature can be incredibly beneficial due to the file size and RAM it takes to run design programs on your PC.

Cons

Honestly, I can't really think of much negative about this product. If you are looking for additional functionality and can't find it with the Premium Paid version, you probably are in need of an alternative software altogether!

Candice
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Pixlr - The Bigger and Better Photoshop

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

My overall experience with Pixlr has been positive! I have realized how much of a "hidden gem" this app truly is and I wish that it was more well-known for how amazing it is.

Pros

What I love most about this software is how accessible the tools are at a low to no price at all. Many of the features provided by this software are very inexpensive compared to other competing editing software, (PicsArt, Adobe, Canva, Photoshop), and there aren't any limits to how much I may use them. I always say that once a user truly understands how to utilize the features and tools on PIxlr, they can use it just like they with Photoshop. There are ads but they only appear after you save your edits so they do not bother me in the slightest bit.

Cons

What I like least about Pixlr is how it glitches at times after I switch tabs in the middle of an edit and thus, I have to completely start over. I also dislike that sometimes my edits save with lower quality. I also dislike that there are not any brush options for the "doodle" tool.

Christian
  • Industry: Publishing

Advanced Pro feature but still affordable online photo editor software

Reviewed on 16/6/2022

Pros

Pixlr is like an online affordable photoshop. Self-explanatory intuitive interface and light website to load faster even on weak devices.
Drag and drop feature speed up every step. The fastest Zoom in and out I have ever experienced especially when using a trackpad.
Darker theme that is eye-friendly and has other apps plugins as well as all social media templates

Cons

The recommended templates rows at the bottom of its home page make it look busy and somehow confusing to some people.
There some important features I wish they could be in a free plan but they are in a premium and creative packs

Al

Cost & Time Saving - Very useful "photoshop-like" web tool

Reviewed on 10/8/2021

Pros

Generally easy to use & quite reliable. For a web-based program, it's quite stable & usable. I use it nearly daily for client work

Cons

It would be nice to have some additional features native to the application and improvements on the magic wand selector

Adobe Illustrator

PicMonkey
Divaksh
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Photo editing software that can be used for anything

Reviewed on 25/2/2022

Pros

1. Easy to use, even kids can be trained to use it.
2. Different approach than any other platform out there, you start with simple and then get advanced.
3. Very lightweight editors, you can even access them from your tab/smartphones.
4. Some of the stock pictures are available for use, which can be used without leaving the program.
5. PSD support.
6. Like PSD, they PXD. You can preserve layers for later editing with PXD - Pixlr's native file format.
7. Upcoming Pixlr M mobile app which will have options available comparable to Pixlr X.

Cons

1. Background remover is not as great as other online background removal services, check here [SENSITIVE CONTENT]
2. For creating the above collage, I had to use another tool as dedicated collage making functionality is not present on the platform.
3. Current mobile app that is Editor's Choice on the App Store isn't part of the subscription.
4. Biggest drawback I found is missing rulers. It is time taking process to align stuff in an image without rulers.
5. No option to save on the cloud, you can't access files edited in a system from a different system.

PicMonkey and Adobe Photoshop
Jan
  • Industry: Fine Art

Easy Photo Editing Online

Reviewed on 13/7/2022

Where I see this software being particularly effective is in my classes. Although students have access to Photoshop if they use computers on campus, this allows them to work on projects off campus, as long as they have a computer and internet services. It is so easy to use that the learning curve is short. Students immediately are interested in the many filters offered, as well as the more basic adjustments found in any image editing software. I often compare it to the software in their phones - terminology is often the same, or easily understood. It is a wonderful tool for students who are on a budget, or anyone whose finances are challenged.

Pros

Pixlr is simple and intuitive to use, but produces professional results. Learning the tool options is easy. Much info is visually presented. Choosing the wrong option is easily reversed. For a person who doesn’t want to invest in Photoshop due to its cost, Pixlr provides an excellent alternative.

Cons

The best and worst thing is that this is a software that must be used on the internet. For most people with fast internet service, this is not a problem. I can see it would be difficult to use if internet signals are weak. I know that we must give up our personal info to be able to use this software, so a person needs to be aware that data harvesting is likely happening whenever the product is being used. I have not found anything terribly invasive. Being a Google customer, I realize I am already a known quantity and targeted for photo editing, camera models, etc.

Sanoussy
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 23/11/2022

I did a lot of editing of Pixlr images and I published photos so that I could accompany the texts of an article on a blog or a website.

Pros

The use is not easy because it also has an automatic image editing mode.

Cons

Pixlr must be updated in every two weeks, because if some forms of missing images, and because it allows recording of my compressed image.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

A fantastic option for doing quick photo work!

Reviewed on 6/5/2021

I use Pixlr for my side work and am thrilled to have invested in purchasing it. I use the software as my go-to for quick photo edits and social media post creation. I've used this for so many uses for simple graphic editing that I can't imagine not having it for image resizing, editing, and social media content creation. It is easy to use, intuitive, and I've never experienced an outage attempting to use it. There is a great tool for a content creator on the go who doesn't need to do extensive work that you may require Photoshop for but it still has 'most' of the features that the far more expensive platform has built in.

Pros

This is a way to edit photos from anywhere as long as you have an active Internet connection and having an account with them allows you to recall older creations on the fly.

Cons

My only downside to this is if you're used to having templates from alternate options like Canva there is far less to choose from though the selection has been expanding over the past year.

Sarah

Pixlr - Social Media Graphics

Reviewed on 21/7/2020

Pixlr has been a life saver for me when I first started creating social media creative. Photoshop was very overwhelming to me at the time and Pixlr was a wonderful resource that gave non-designers like me the tools to spin up quick graphics in no time.

Pros

Pixlr offers excellent multi-purpose templates specifically designed for social media graphics and ads. There are so many variations with sizing and dimensions across all the social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, etc) and Pixlr is an excellent tool that has a free option to adjust dimensions specific to your channel without having to be skilled in Photoshop. The Pixlr Marketplace is an excellent resource for content planning and creation and offers beautiful inspiration to our design team. The layouts are very modern and sophisticated and aren't too text-heavy, which is perfect for ad content, especially on Facebook and Instagram.

Cons

I often find that we have been using Canva more than Pixlr lately because Canva offers a much larger array of templates and the drag and drop features in Canva are a little easier to use. I wish Pixlr would have a better team dashboard where we can organize projects by client and assign various team members to each one.

Canva

Reasons for Switching to Pixlr

The free verison was unbeatable and offered the tools that I needed (as an inexperienced designer) and it was very easy to learn how to use them properly. There are also great tutorials available!

On-the-move photo editing

Reviewed on 26/8/2020

I turn to Pixlr X whenever I need a quick photo edit and the tool delivers most of the time. I have also used it extensively to work with mockups, also with good results.

Pros

Pixlr X is one of the most complete free web photo editing tools that I've used so far. It has all essential controls and a handy selection of pre-made filters.

Cons

Some tools like heal can be very slow and buggy, even in small images.

Kevin
  • Industry: Utilities

Edit Every Pixel With Pixlr

Reviewed on 21/6/2022

Pros

The combination of simple and advanced features makes it the go-to editing application. A great UI with easy settings and functionality and the web browser aspect makes it so intuitive.

Cons

Like other web browser editing platforms, the lag is unbearable and settings do not save fast enough.

One of the best Web photo editors

Reviewed on 25/8/2020

Pixlr X has often been my go-to tool when it comes to basic image editing tasks, mostly for Facebook posts.

Pros

Probably the biggest advantage Pixlr X has is its simplicity. It provides an intuitive interface with most of the basic tools you'd need for simple editing tasks. You can use it immediately without even having to create an account.

Cons

It lacks some handy tools like clone and healing. Plus, it forces you to downsize large pictures.

Anil
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Editing Pixlr

Reviewed on 14/6/2022

I used Pixlr for my editing photos and sharing it with social media accounts. Pixlr has many features inside but it is little bit expensive.

Pros

Editing with Pixlr is nice, the features inside there are many things that you can reach your horizon.

Cons

Pixlr is quite expensive when you compared to other kind of alternatives.

Wend kouni
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Best photo editor online

Reviewed on 7/9/2022

Pros

I really like pixlr for its ease of use and interface. Ideal for quick creations and not too many disturbing features

Cons

The software has limited functionality and is not suitable for professionals

Cheick
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 22/11/2022

Pros

Pixlr is great photo editing software. Less confusing settings like on Photoshop is it will be very very useful to you

Cons

No problem encountered in the use of this software I highly recommend