Pixlr

Free photo editor for graphic designers

4.6/5
4.2/5
4.3/5
4.2/5

37 Software options

Al M.

Cost & Time Saving - Very useful "photoshop-like" web tool

Reviewed on 10/8/2021

Pros

Generally easy to use & quite reliable. For a web-based program, it's quite stable & usable. I use it nearly daily for client work

Cons

It would be nice to have some additional features native to the application and improvements on the magic wand selector

Adobe Illustrator

PicMonkey
Destine C.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Like it a little

Reviewed on 6/2/2020

Dont like it like that does nothing for me

Pros

You can edit photo perfect but somethings would not work.

Cons

you can not inport nothing on macbook it treaks can not even open stock layers

Luke T.

Pixlr is my Favorite

Reviewed on 25/7/2021

I absolutely love Pixlr and it is my go to software when I need to edit a quick photo or make a quick logo. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a software for photo editing.

Pros

Pixlr really shines in the fact that it is incredibly easy to use and has all the features you need without being too intimidating.

Cons

The only downside I have about Pixlr is that the ads can sometimes get in the way of the photo I am editing so it can get frustrating once in a while.

Ryan S.
  • Industry: Furniture

Great product! but needs a little work

Reviewed on 27/2/2020

Overall, I really like Pixlr's photo editing abilities! They need to fix some glitches, however.

Pros

I really like the Pixlr interface and the ease of use! I think the quality of the editing options is some of the best I've seen.

Cons

Pixlr needs to work on it's tech support and keep up with it's website better. There are some options, like straightening photos, that consistently glitch.

My go to for web based Photoshop alternative.

Reviewed on 15/9/2021

Pros

Easy to use.

Free and Web based. No need of those lengthy file installations anymore.

Feature packed which is more than enough for beginners and casuals.

Cons

Some tools are laggy.

Lack of online cloud storage space.

Limited file format support in saving.

• Industry: Media Production
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Very useful app for specific purposes

Reviewed on 30/4/2021

Positive overall, but I think some new niche tools would be helpful!

Pros

It's collage features are really useful and a step above other programs I've used for this. Lots of options!

Cons

Some of the other features and effects offered seem to be "filler" and clutter up the UX, in my opinion.

Ali K.

Fast, powerful, smart, and very simple! The best online photo editor for daily photo editing

Reviewed on 20/2/2021

It feels great when you can do the same simple daily graphic tasks without the need for a laptop or PC. Sometimes you want to complete a graphic design with your idea and post it quickly, which has been a dream come true for me with this platform. Pixlr X is a wonderful online editing tool for me. It saves me time and money, and by reducing my design time, I can quickly post a beautiful post with my favorite text on my business social media and pages. In our company, each unit independently creates simple graphic works of its section and publishes them on the site.

Pros

Photos can be edited very quickly and quickly through the browser. Sometimes I am on the road and need to design and create a new visual post for my LinkedIn or Instagram and I need graphic work that must prepare and post in less than ten minutes via my phone or iPad. This platform is great because it is both fast and works with any device and it gives me a sense of comfort while working. It has many ready-pre-built beautiful templates. Even a beginner can edit their favorite photo and edit effects, text, and resize without the need for a professional computer.

Cons

It’s a powerful and fast tool, only some new features should be added to it and normally there is no bug or problem and everything works perfectly. Adding the following items will be much more complete and professional: Missing Curves Tool, it doesn’t support BMP and Tiff format, need auto photo extension converter tool, and the most important thing is online cloud storage space to save projects, they must add this feature.

Canva, BeFunky and Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Pixlr

Some previous apps and software either needed a computer or were not compatible with the iPad or tablet browser, which caused errors and crashes, but Pixlr X is great.

Reasons for Switching to Pixlr

Great price and better performance, and more simple photo editing tools.
Sarah H.

Pixlr - Social Media Graphics

Reviewed on 21/7/2020

Pixlr has been a life saver for me when I first started creating social media creative. Photoshop was very overwhelming to me at the time and Pixlr was a wonderful resource that gave non-designers like me the tools to spin up quick graphics in no time.

Pros

Pixlr offers excellent multi-purpose templates specifically designed for social media graphics and ads. There are so many variations with sizing and dimensions across all the social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, etc) and Pixlr is an excellent tool that has a free option to adjust dimensions specific to your channel without having to be skilled in Photoshop. The Pixlr Marketplace is an excellent resource for content planning and creation and offers beautiful inspiration to our design team. The layouts are very modern and sophisticated and aren't too text-heavy, which is perfect for ad content, especially on Facebook and Instagram.

Cons

I often find that we have been using Canva more than Pixlr lately because Canva offers a much larger array of templates and the drag and drop features in Canva are a little easier to use. I wish Pixlr would have a better team dashboard where we can organize projects by client and assign various team members to each one.

Canva

Reasons for Switching to Pixlr

The free verison was unbeatable and offered the tools that I needed (as an inexperienced designer) and it was very easy to learn how to use them properly. There are also great tutorials available!
Braden W.
  • Industry: Machinery

Full Scope Free Photo Editor

Reviewed on 19/8/2021

Overall Pixlr is an excellent tool! I highly recommend for small business designers, especially if you wear multiple hats within your organization.

Pros

Per the title, you can use this free!

There are three versions of Pixlr 1) Pixlr E, which is the "advanced" version that is really intended for intermediate-to-advanced designers; and 2) Pixlr X, which is the basic photo editor, intended for entry level designers and/or quick photo editing; and 3) Pixlr Premium, this is the paid version. To clarify, Pixlr E is completely free as well, no added subscription or "pro" upgrade. Functionally, Pixlr E's platform mimics the layout and functionality of Photoshop, and Pixlr X is more closely related in function and format to Photoshop Express.

Pixlr offers a wide variety of preset templates that provide a lot of benefit to expedite the design process. You will find blank artboard templates with preset dimensions for specific social media applications, so you don't have to worry about manually adjusting your dims each time you start a new post! Additionally, they offer a wide variety of pre-designed plug-and-play templates. Created by third-party designers, these plug-and-play templates are catered to all sorts of industries and applications - need a flyer for your classroom there's a template for that, need a brochure for a new product there's a template for that. The only caveat is that not all templates are free.

Lastly, both platforms are cloud based, so you access them using the browser. This feature can be incredibly beneficial due to the file size and RAM it takes to run design programs on your PC.

Cons

Honestly, I can't really think of much negative about this product. If you are looking for additional functionality and can't find it with the Premium Paid version, you probably are in need of an alternative software altogether!

Heather B.
  • Industry: Music

My Go-To Photo Editor for Casual Editing

Reviewed on 30/8/2021

Pros

I use both the Pixlr app and the desktop version quite often for photo editing. I love the features, functionality, and how advanced of an edit you can do within Pixlr without being skilled in graphic design. It's one of the best free photo editing apps I've used, and one that I always come back to. As someone who's not skilled in Photoshop or more advanced techniques, Pixlr allows me to do the functions that I'm looking for without the advanced skills I thought I'd need.

Cons

It can be a little difficult to use at times, especially when you're a new user. It also does lack some more advanced features that I'd like to try, but overall still provides an excellent experience for a casual photo editor.

• Used Weekly for Free Trial

Very good tool

Reviewed on 27/8/2020

Pros

Even though it is a browser app it works quite nicely, without any performance breaks. It has all the necessary tools for simple edits and well organized and intuitive interface.

Cons

There weren't a lot of negatives during my trial, besides the fact that it could have some more advanced features.

Deb P.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Easy to use, powerful but still needs some work

Reviewed on 14/9/2021

I've been using it regularly for photo editing for the graphics I use in my business. It's easy and quick to use. If it weren't for the glitches, I'd be a raving fan. Again, I assume they're working on it and things will improve.

Pros

I like how easy it is to use. I like that it doesn't take forever to load (like Photoshop). I especially love the background remover and color replacer functions.

Cons

It's a bit glitchy. Especially the automatic background remover tool. I assume the developers are working on getting the bugs out and I'm willing to wait.

Canva

Reasons for Choosing Pixlr

Photoshop takes forever to load and it's more complicated than I need. I'm not a professional designer. I just need to make some basic edits quickly and easily. Removing a background in Pixlr takes a fraction of the time as it does in Photoshop.

Reasons for Switching to Pixlr

Pixlr is more robust. The price is also great.

One of the best Web photo editors

Reviewed on 25/8/2020

Pixlr X has often been my go-to tool when it comes to basic image editing tasks, mostly for Facebook posts.

Pros

Probably the biggest advantage Pixlr X has is its simplicity. It provides an intuitive interface with most of the basic tools you'd need for simple editing tasks. You can use it immediately without even having to create an account.

Cons

It lacks some handy tools like clone and healing. Plus, it forces you to downsize large pictures.

Javier D.

Incredible editing tool!

Reviewed on 31/5/2021

One of the best editing software I have used so far, it has helped me improve so much on the quality of my projects and make them seem very professional. HIGHLY recommended.

Pros

I love how you can use it anywhere you are since this software is available on almost any device, the amount of unique and useful tools this software provides in order to improve your projects, images, etc. without having to pay anything, all with a very intuitive design.

Cons

Since Pixlr is a free software, it has many advertisements, and unfortunately, they become a little bit annoying after several times you have used this software. But I guess that is the price you pay for such cool software.

Candice B.
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Pixlr - The Bigger and Better Photoshop

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

My overall experience with Pixlr has been positive! I have realized how much of a "hidden gem" this app truly is and I wish that it was more well-known for how amazing it is.

Pros

What I love most about this software is how accessible the tools are at a low to no price at all. Many of the features provided by this software are very inexpensive compared to other competing editing software, (PicsArt, Adobe, Canva, Photoshop), and there aren't any limits to how much I may use them. I always say that once a user truly understands how to utilize the features and tools on PIxlr, they can use it just like they with Photoshop. There are ads but they only appear after you save your edits so they do not bother me in the slightest bit.

Cons

What I like least about Pixlr is how it glitches at times after I switch tabs in the middle of an edit and thus, I have to completely start over. I also dislike that sometimes my edits save with lower quality. I also dislike that there are not any brush options for the "doodle" tool.

Nicholas S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great photoshop alternative

Reviewed on 11/6/2021

Pros

I haven't had access to photoshop in a few years, and I don't especially miss it because of Pixlr. I'm not exactly an advanced user of graphic design products, so I can't speak to that level... But for basic image editing and creation, this gets the job done.

Cons

It's a web app and it shows. Some keyboard shortcuts don't work the way you'd expect. Also, the interface has some weird quirks that make it slightly less intuitive than Photoshop.

Good online photo editor

Reviewed on 19/8/2020

I have used Pixlr X to quickly edit images which don't need advanced changes.

Pros

Pixlr is very convenient - it loads up very fast and in a few clicks I can get an edited image ready to go - when the image only needs some basic changes.

Cons

There's only so much you can do with Pixlr X. It comes short in offering more advanced features that should be included, so it will not be suitable for more advanced editing tasks.

Michelle V.

Editing made simple.

Reviewed on 14/11/2020

This is great photo editing software for beginners.

Pros

I liked that the software was easy to use and there are several options available than most software.

Cons

I find it to be glitchy when using some of the features, but this may be affected by internet speed.

Ifeoma O.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

PIXLR X GREAT FOR PICTURES

Reviewed on 6/2/2020

Pixlr X makes my pictures look better, which projects a more professional outlook for my business.

Pros

I like the fact that I can use it to edit pictures. With it I can re-size, brighten or crop pictures. It is also user-friendly.

Cons

It requires some getting used to if you want to get the best out of this software. But on the whole it gives you better options.

Frederic D.
  • Used for Free Trial

Creative for a phone

Reviewed on 5/6/2020

Pros

Fast and cool results with the basic templates. It is amusing

Cons

Do not expect the same customisation options when comparing with pro-software such as Photoshop.

Christian N.
  • Industry: Publishing

The most advanced photo editing tool for free

Reviewed on 13/11/2021

Good experience with all basic features for photo editing for free as well as social media templates that make my work easier. Best photoshop alternative for free.

Pros

Professional photo editing features free of charge and editing quicker and easier without needing expensive computers. It works well even on weaker and mobile devices.
Social media templates make it easier to edit photos for social media posts.
Compatible with all platforms and easy to use for beginners and experienced users.
The intuitive user interface beats Photoshop by far.
Very useful photo library

Cons

Sometimes ads that are displayed while working can be distracting and annoying.
No drag-and-drop functionality.

On-the-move photo editing

Reviewed on 26/8/2020

I turn to Pixlr X whenever I need a quick photo edit and the tool delivers most of the time. I have also used it extensively to work with mockups, also with good results.

Pros

Pixlr X is one of the most complete free web photo editing tools that I've used so far. It has all essential controls and a handy selection of pre-made filters.

Cons

Some tools like heal can be very slow and buggy, even in small images.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

A fantastic option for doing quick photo work!

Reviewed on 6/5/2021

I use Pixlr for my side work and am thrilled to have invested in purchasing it. I use the software as my go-to for quick photo edits and social media post creation. I've used this for so many uses for simple graphic editing that I can't imagine not having it for image resizing, editing, and social media content creation. It is easy to use, intuitive, and I've never experienced an outage attempting to use it. There is a great tool for a content creator on the go who doesn't need to do extensive work that you may require Photoshop for but it still has 'most' of the features that the far more expensive platform has built in.

Pros

This is a way to edit photos from anywhere as long as you have an active Internet connection and having an account with them allows you to recall older creations on the fly.

Cons

My only downside to this is if you're used to having templates from alternate options like Canva there is far less to choose from though the selection has been expanding over the past year.

Kim T.
  • Industry: Veterinary

Pixlr E / Pixlr X - The best, FREE, photo-editing software

Reviewed on 23/3/2020

Considering that Pixlr X is FREE to use, this is a supreme value for the functions it offers.

Pros

I do believe the magic wand tool has improved significantly, as prior, I would often still be left with white outlines, which were tedious to delete. Overall, I am satisfied with Pixlr, and I appreciate that they offer such a high-quality program, free-of-charge.

Cons

I preferred the original Pixlr Editor, due to the ease in recognizing which icon was for which tool, the size and format of the layering map, and the ability to move between files more readily. Prior, you could select the destination for the saved file; now it defaults to "downloads", and then you have to move them. I believe the previous format was more understandable, and contained icons which were universally understood.

Travis J.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management
  • Used for 2+ years

Solid, but learning curved

Reviewed on 24/2/2021

It was great, but I transitioned for the most part. I keep it bookmarked just in case and have gone back a few times to solve some unique problems. My team just couldn't pick it up like I'd hoped.

Pros

Pixlr was my go to for years. It helped me manipulate, update, and fix so many things over the years. I appreciate that it's cloud based and the free version is effective.

Cons

It would never fail how often the deselect just would not work. It could have been user error, but so many times my magic wand would be stuck on for no apparent reason and I would have to toggle through programs and almost trick the program into letting me deselect highlighted areas of my project.