1,954 reviews

1,954 reviews
Quratulain H.

Best in Multi-currency accounting for SMB

Reviewed on 18/2/2021

Xero was the best choice back in 2015 (when no one gave multi-currency) and still is in 2021 (when there are some who do).

I have now added another company to Xero and cannot imagine shifting to another platform....ever.

Pros

With most clients abroads, we find its best to bill them in their local currency. Luckily for us, Xero is there to help sort our books out and keep them in order. It integrates with many bank feeds & popular wallets/fintechs like PayPal, Payoneer & TransferWise so accounts are upto date - always.

Another feature we really use is their tracking fields. Xero allows users to setup 2 tracking fields that can be added to invoices, expenses, bills and assigned to each line. This helps us keep track of project based work and has been our way since before Xero ventured into Project based accounting (that users need to pay additional fee for)

It also integrates with online payment gateways such as PayPal, Stripe, GoCardless, and a few others; thus payments are a breeze for clients.

As a non-accountant, Xero is easy to use even when you get into all the features it provides.

Cons

They have made some changes to their UI esp where invoices and expenses are concerned. Luckily for older users, expenses are still free however, for new users it isnt and each person filing expenses on it needs to pay a small fee. I think it should be free for a small number of users (atleast 2) and then charged.

Ken E.

Good - But With Issues

Reviewed on 12/1/2021

Mostly good apart from the above which really grate with me. They don't seem to be developing the core product at all. It has barely changed in my 4 years of usage.

Pros

Easy to use for non-accountants. Inexpensive.

Cons

Invoices, purchase orders etc are not sent out from your own email address but from messaging-service @post.xero.com. This looks unprofessional and spammy, I have had customers reply by copying and pasting that email address and it's binned by Xero. You can't format email text in any way either. No bold, no italics - nothing!

The inventory (products and services) listings cannot be accessed by administration staff unless given full access to financial reports. So the accountant or business owner has to make small modifications to the inventory even though they are not familiar with product descriptions, prices etc. This is very poor.

Sherm S.

XERO reconciliation is an issue

Reviewed on 20/8/2020

Overall, it's a decent program, with all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a cloud based accounting program. Unfortunately working without being able to reconcile monthly made life too difficult. And not many accountants work with it, so that made it difficult to have professional eyes on my accounting.

Pros

I loved how easy it was to integrate XERO with my bank accounts and Paypal. XERO seamlessly connected and kept my balances up to date. I also liked how easy it was to invoice clients and connect invoices to Paypal or Stripe.

Cons

Unfortunately, the reconciliation process in XERO is a no-go for me. Rather than the Quickbooks and standard approach, where you do a monthly reconciliation against a bank statement, XERO had no such function. Once an item was matched up to a bank transaction, it was considered "reconciled." No option to close out a month and double-check transactions. I went back to QBO to get that feature.

Kristen B.

Fantastic! I finally have the tools from Xero to drive my company to its greatest potential.

Reviewed on 10/11/2017

Understanding the numbers! I'm finally educated about my own business, which sounds ridiculous, but so many business owners are creative dreamers that never look at the numbers. Even ones that are successful don't look at the numbers because they feel like it's not necessary - and that's the biggest lie in the world. It's so easy to share the reports with people at all levels in the company, and I feel a fantastic sense of control with the numbers because of Xero.

Pros

Cloud availability, choice between manual or automatic accounting, incredible reports, easy to print, beautiful, fun to use, don't have to be an accountant to use it, fantastic break-down of categories and overhead vs. cost of goods. Shows great percentages - growth overall, percentage of sales per category and percentage of expenses per category - easy to understand the nuts and bolts of your business with Xero and make quick changes to your business model when a problem arises.

Cons

Balance sheet leaves much to be desired - harder to figure out than the rest of the software and difficult to understand in conjunction with the profit and loss. It's not possible to see a comprehensive financial picture - perhaps what makes it so great for non-accountants is its simplicity makes it hard at times to get into the nitty gritty. The billing aspect of Xero is atrocious, just really, really bad. Invoices on "repeat" stay in a strange ticker until you command them to be sent, it creates a lot of problems. Definitely have a separate billing software if you use Xero, especially if your clients are on subscriptions. I wish it integrated better with a growth planning tool - integrates with CRMs fine but doesn't help you look into the next couple of years, or present a future picture to investors.

Karim K.
  • Industry: Design

One stop Accounting solutions for Small to Medium organisations.

Reviewed on 25/7/2019

Pros

- Brilliant design and straight forward full accounting system yet detailed enough to allow user to create management reports.
- It allows direct bank feed letting the book-keepers not to worry about importing bank statements and processing detailed bank reconciliations.
- It also integrates with third party softwares to import direct feed which helps automation possible helps save time.
- It also offers partner programs for external book-keepers and accountants to work on different client books which is a new features other softwares have failed to offer.
- Great price.

Cons

- Payroll function is capable to deal with straight forward payroll matters. when dealing with complex calculation, Xero seems limited in its functionality.
- The tracking categories are limited to only two lists. It would have been great if it would have had an option to increase the number of categories to suit individual need.

Alexandra B.
  • Industry: Restaurants

This has revolutionized our bookkeeping and reduced our accounting fees.

Reviewed on 7/3/2018

Save time, greater control over my business, fewer errors, save money, more visibility of overall financial health of business. Allows me to work remotely.

Pros

I have no bookkeeping background and was able to easily learn how to use Xero. My business partner and I can login from anywhere in the world and get an up to date picture of our finances, pay invoices, review reports, check profitability and more. Our year end process is much faster and streamlined and we feel like we have much more control over our business. We have integrated data from our POS system (Touch Bistro) using the Shogo Integration tool and allows us to track sales by category alongside costs. We have also integrated Payment Evolution with Xero so we can run payroll and make EFT payments to suppliers directly. Invoices are closed out automatically and remittance notices provided saving time, money and keeping our suppliers happy.

Cons

Some of the reporting features don't show the information that I need - for example the sales tax report. I also find it frustrating that I can't integrate my online banking with Xero - we use a credit union so this might be the bank's issue. Some of the navigation is not great. For example the search feature can be a little fussy and when you complete an action you don't get returned to the page you left.

Markus H.

Xero is awesome, albeit expensive when running multiple entities

Reviewed on 5/12/2016

We've moved from another software 4 years ago and have not looked back. Bank feed setup is easy, recon is a
breeze. There are lots of add-ons which can assist with specific needs and there are tons of integrations with sales force and other big guns.
The only issues I see is pricing. If you run multiple entities (i.e. for service companies or trusts) the subscription cost adds up quickly. This is because the most basic plan is essentially useless (5 bank transactions a month... if that's all you need, you don't run a business). Compared to emerging competitors pricing is very high.
Another issue, if you rely on it, is email support only. While responses come back within 1 to 3 days, players like Intuit have live chat support, which is amazing at their price point.
All in all, Xero is a solid solution for us though and while we've moved some (nonpayroll) entities off it and onto QuickBooks, it remains our accounting mainstay for the core operations entity. Hope this helps.

Pros

easy to use
ticks all boxes for SME accounting
many integration

Cons

price, in particular, once you need multiple add-ons
email support only
slow load times (this should be fixed once they moved from Rackspace to AWS apparently)

Ellen W.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Almost makes accounts fun

Reviewed on 16/1/2019

Over all though I love xero - it's made my accounting much faster and because my accountant has access too , any challenges or questions on my product or project codes can be quickly resolved by sending her a note from within the system.

Pros

I love that xero does everything for both my businesses on the same dashboard - I can just toggle between the 2. The invoices look great and are well recieved by my corporate clients making me look professional and bigger than I am. The VAT is calculated for the quarter at the click of a button and I can even post directly to HMRC from within xero. Most of all though it tells me that I've done a good job each time I get my reconcilations done - which always makes me smile.

Cons

Sometimes there can be challenges with the bank feeds - when they're running at their best it's wonderful the accounts are updates in real time but sometimes they get a bit cranky and take ages to upload - I don't think it's all xeros fault - I think sometimes it's the software that does the connecting but either way, it's the only thing that sometimes causes me grief.

Niki O.

Excellent invoicing software for small businesses

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

Xero allows us to invoice our clients with ease, monitor and track inventory sales, generate transaction lists and more. Overall easy to use, however further training or online support could be helpful to fully take advantage of its features.

Pros

Xero is relatively easy to use and makes invoicing and tracking sales/payments a relatively smooth process.

Cons

I feel there are many features we are not yet aware of or sure how to use, however with further training, I'm sure we could take further advantage of all the features Xero offers. The feature to adjust stock quantities is somewhat time consuming, and I feel could be made more seamless.

Mark S.

Xero

Reviewed on 17/9/2019

Xero is simply beautiful software. It is easy to use and has never failed us

Pros

The most simple software for accounting and bookkeeping. It is easy to use and makes life very simple when getting bank feeds directly every day

Cons

Not often, but on some occasions the system operates very slow. This is possibly when enhancements are being pushed through

Joel D.

Amazing accounting software, Xero support

Reviewed on 23/5/2019

Overall Xero is a great assess to the business, while it's not perfect I haven't been able to find a better solution, Xero means we can keep our accounting in house and spend about 10 minutes a week doing our accounting rather than paying an external accountant several 100 dollars per month.

Pros

Xero is a very innovative accounting platform, they were the first accounting suite to implement automated bank feeds, this means manually entering receipts is no longer required as they connect to your bank account and pull the data directly.
When running reports the period can be selected with some short cuts like last quarter or last month, this saves time as you don't have to think which dates make up which months.

Cons

There are some limitation:
- Xero don't recommend using Xero above 100 staff so we had to use a different platform (eg Microkeeper) for payroll
- The expense app lets you take a photo of a receipt and covert it to a digital receipt, other expense apps can do this in less than 10 seconds, but Xeros app takes many hours, they must batch the jobs
- There is no phone support, they used to have phone support but now only email and they take over 24 hours to get back to you via, which means having a conversation with them is basically impossible

Mauro P.

A "state of the art" of Cloud Accounting Software

Reviewed on 7/12/2016

Xero it's been created as a real "web based" software; most of the other accounting cloud / web software are coming from a popular "client & server" version, and you immediately perceive this
It's a real complete Accounting Software, quite easy to use. You nee to have some basic Accounting notions to manage correctly all the functions
It's a software created for English speaking and with hte english notations countries; for example you can't produce an invoice with the comma decimal separator; so you can't use this (basic) function for an Accounting Software in most of European Countries
Xero has a wonderful list of reports that give you the entire control on your finances
Some online integrations (like with PayPal) are extremely useful
The list of the banks that you can connect for the reconciliations is quite poor

Pros

A real web / cloud software
Complete functions for the Accounting
Perfect to manage P&L and your accounting

Cons

It should have more compliance staff with European Countries
More Banks 7 credit Cards integrations

Kristin C.
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Respect for the Little Guy

Reviewed on 16/7/2019

We used Xero for 2 years and were pleased with the modern look and feel of the program. It felt more user friendly than other programs and it is gaining presence in the global market. In the end, we needed to change to a platform that was more universally used and accepted. That being said, I would highly recommend this software to someone who is doing their own accounting for a small business or personal use as it is much more user friendly and intuitive than many others.

Pros

The thing I like best about Xero is that it is trying to create a more user friendly accounting program for modern adults. With it's main competitor (to be left unnamed), the process can feel outdated or not intuitive. Not so with Xero. It is easy to find what you are looking for and track the items you need to. More and more software programs are communicating with Xero and that helps a lot too.

Cons

We struggled with the learning curve of Xero, even though it is more intuitive than the unnamed competitor. We hired someone to teach us the ropes and that went a long way in getting us on the right track. The other problem we had was that the customer service was often hard to reach. We ended up with a big mess of a problem in 2018 and communication with Xero was very slow going. In the end, they were unable to help us solve our problem.

Andrew D.

"Beautiful Accounting Software". Enough said.

Reviewed on 23/5/2017

A complete look at my business from objective point of view. It was excellent for looking at cash flow and seeing where your money comes from and what it goes on. This, on top of all the other features generally used.

Pros

This software is the real deal that has whole package. Truely feel in control of your business with easy to use features from invoicing, reconciling, payroll, leave management, time sheets etc. I love the edition and enabling of third party software. I personally coupled Xero with a specialized job & inventory management system. However Xero does that too, and in a more than capable fasion for most business'. Together with Xero, it really is, Beautiful Business.

Cons

The only negative i had with the system was when coupled with the specific third party software that i had intergrated with Xero, it would double up on client invoices and created a little extra work. I did later findout from the Xero support centre that this was an issue i could resolve in features of Xero

Doug M.

Very easy to learn and even easier to use. Includes some nice features that QuickBooks does...

Reviewed on 23/7/2018

Pros

Inventory tracking and cost tracking is built in. Other accounting software usually charges extra for this feature, Xero does not. The reconciliation is extremely easy, even for a novice. You literally can't make mistakes because the software won't let you. Very nice for a small business owner who can't afford a bookkeeper, or simply wants to manage the books themselves. Reporting is very simple and the reports are extremely useful come tax season.

Cons

The way it deals with sales tax. When creating invoices and quotes it is sometimes very easy to forget to add sales tax, or to add it incorrectly due to the amount of options available. This burden can be lessened by making sure you add items to inventory, it is still something that needs to be carefully watched.

Rachael J.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Simple and Intuitive and great integrations

Reviewed on 27/9/2018

Overall I love it and it's my favourite accounts software. As it's so user friendly even non accountants can pick up basic bookkeeping quickly, but there's enough complexity and overview for formal reporting and more complex entities too.

Pros

The ease with which is links with the bank account and uses tech to predict cost allocations and bank reconciliation entries. Plus the integration with HMRC for VAT and payroll filing, and the export to google drive for reports and breakdowns saves so much time.

Cons

The user access is still my biggest complaint - its not possible to grant view only access or control what users can see outside of their very limited user types. For example you can't have employees only with PO raising access, or read only access to the sales invoices for credit control.

Peter G.

Good solid system that has a LOT of potential

Reviewed on 18/7/2017

Huge time saving an visibility into my accounts. Plus I use it across a few businesses which helps.

Pros

Matching recipt transactions to Bank Accounts is so easy and simple, and the reason I moved away from another (albeit free) solution.

The basic chart of accounts is a good starting point for a non-accountant like me, plus I like the ability to add custom tracking options (although there is room for improvement!)

Managing expenses is simple.

The limited customer service interaction I've had to date has been average, although still waiting for a resolution.

Cons

You can't invoice different people at the same company using the Xero address book; there are a myriad of various work around a but no simple and obvious solution. When I researched this on the community forums I saw it is a long standing and high demand customer request which to date hasn't been addressed or satisfactorily acknowledged by Xero.

Further, in this research I noticed that they seem to struggle to effectively communicate with customers via the support forum and are lacklustre in acknowledging when something is wrong. Growing pains of a booming SaaS business? Possibly, but it doesn't take much to get this right and they don't seem to.

Larry N.

Bye Bye Payroll

Reviewed on 26/1/2021

Pros

Xero ws very easy to use and it was a clean feel

Cons

Customer Service was horrible. You could not talk to someone when you wanted to. You had to email, wait and then schedule something.

Nabeelah P.
  • Industry: Accounting

Making software functional and pretty

Reviewed on 27/7/2018

Pros

Xero possibly has the best customer service of all, this is where they are really winning.
Xero has tons of free quality content and videos with tips and training for business owners and accountants alike.
They organise regular meet ups where you can discuss issues and opportunities with your peers.
Being apart of the Xero family makes me feel like i am in the "cool club" in high school, only we're cool nerds.
If you are the less-bookish accountant and the more customer-oriented fun accountant then this is definitely your type of software.

Cons

Difficult to get older clients who are used to invoice books and cheque books to switch over to cloud accounting. (con not exclusive to Xero)
If you are switching over from another cloud system, it can take a few hours to get used to the software/app's functions.

Jonathan P.

Appalling Software - Avoid at all Costs in My Opinion

Reviewed on 7/11/2019

Overall, Xero costs us a lot of time we didn't spend before, does things on it's own such as create new suppliers for an expense and to me, it seems the software was written by ex Bookkeepers who didn't really understand bookkeeping anyway and had a good go at designing a software package that would compete I am guessing with the likes of Sage and failed abysmally.

We use Xero because our accountants do the bookkeeping for us and this is what they use, if not for this, I wouldn't touch Xero if my life depended on it.

Pros

Nothing, nothing at all. The software is nothing more than a glorified analysed cashbook. Support is poor and some of the replies from Support demonstrate the advisor doesn't understand accounts, the accounts structure or the damage that can be done by the advice they are giving.

Cons

All purchases whether a supplier, or a bottle of milk from Tesco's is a contact. A bottle of milk for the office should be coded directly to the nominal code, not a new supplier "Tesco's" created.

Cash in an out of bank should be the same as the bank statement on a live bank feed, but it excludes transfers from savings to current account so not a true reflection of cash in and out.

Xero doesn't reconcile customer receipts, even through the name on the receipt in the bank is the same as the customer account exactly.

Xero dump a lot of support on to the accountant who provides the service.

Xero creates accounts for customers and suppliers on it's own if it doesn't recognise a payment or receipt in the bank account. Software should never be allowed to decide if it wants to create something automatically.

Xero isn't as automated as Sage Accounts, for instance when bulk invoicing over several days, you can't set the date at software level, you have to keep changing the date.

When importing from Sage into Xero for the first time, if Xero doesn't understand an item on the invoice, it simply creates a new line on the invoice whether you want it to or not and there is no way apparently to undo this once done.

Xero works with receipt bank and you can spend hours trying to tell it an expense is not to be coded to a customer.

I could go on.

Beautiful Accounting!

Reviewed on 7/2/2017

Xero helps all of my clients better understand their money and therefore better their business! It's also much quicker to work in than other accounting software. It's easy to add users giving CPAs access to books and the 1099 report is flawless. Xero helps by making daily, monthly, quarterly, and end of year bookkeeping quick and painless! Everyone we have moved over from QB has loved the switch.

Pros

-Customizable reports
-Easy-to-read dashboard
-Budget manager
-Incredible app connections
-Automatic bank feeds
-Customizable invoice settings
-Cash coding + Bank rules

Cons

Slight transition in training moving out of QB but you will love it!

David K.

Xero Issues ;)

Reviewed on 11/3/2020

Fantastic. I still remember attempting to learn MYOB 5-6 years ago and being absolutely stumped, Xero took something that used to be clunky and difficult and made it simple and accessible to business owners who don't have time to figure out complex software like MYOB. (PS. MYOB is probably much better now than it was back then but the point remains... Xero were the ones that led the way and made account/bookkeeping simple)

Pros

Everything. It's the simplest bookkeeping/accounting software I've ever used, has beautiful UI and once you get your head around how to best set it up with the help of a good bookkeeper it pretty much does most of the work of reconciling your accounts for you.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of anything. I suppose it would be nice if there was a simple undo action button for when you accidentally reconcile something wrong. Kind of like the "undo" popup that appears on gmail when you send an email that you last second realize has a mistake in it. That would make it even better but it's pretty close to perfect already.

Hands down the most flexible accounting platform.

Reviewed on 5/9/2019

It's been years I've been using the platform, it's often been a go-to for business growth. I wouldn't hesitate this platform from everything to independent designers to full fledged agencies.

Pros

This is by leaps and bounds the strongest, most efficient accounting software on the market. I've been using it on multiple businesses over the last five years and have seen the company, support and offerings explode.

Cons

The interface and visuals for estimates/quotes needs a lot of work. It's very basic and cannot be customized. Looks like something came out of 2002. Wish they would offer more customization and exporting really nice PDFs.

An excellent alternative to QuickBooks Online

Reviewed on 10/3/2019

Overall, I love Xero. It's great as an accountant and my clients love it, too.

Pros

Xero appears to have been designed primarily for business owners with ease of use in mind. It's the easiest double-entry accounting software for non-accountants that I've used as a CPA. That's important for my clients who need to be doing their own accounting. And the automation features such as bank feeds and bank rules make it super easy for me when I manage the books for them.

Cons

Because the software is developed in New Zealand, there are peculiarities of the application not being 100% adapted for the United States market. For instance, you can't run a check register report that shows how the transactions in a particular bank or credit account were categorized or coded. That's something simple to do in QuickBooks. The fact that it doesn't exist in Xero seems like a mind-boggling oversight. It's something that you can work around, but I just don't understand why they haven't built it yet.

Sara S.

It is no doubt fantastic and great software that reduced my accounting fees in a best way.

Reviewed on 26/7/2018

Pros

Xero is the superb online software with cloud based.It consists of very excellent features. This software is no doubt a dream for small medium sized business. Among all the accounting softwares, this software is the most intuitive and easiest one. Its interesting features that includes record and find, repeating bills, bank rules really saves time and fascinates others.

Cons

A few of the cons is that this software is quite expensive so that people have to face difficulty while buying this software. Another con of Xero software is that in this software telephone support is not available. Also it lacks call back option even due to which one has to rely on emails that takes long time response from people. So it causes hindrance for the users sometimes.