LearnDash

Learning management system for WordPress

4.7 /5 (164 reviews) Write a Review!

Eric Z.

Awesome Support Team

Reviewed on 26/1/2020

Overall, my experience with LearnDash has been wonderful. It is an easy-to-use tool that is the basis of our eLearning platform

Pros

- Ease of use and set-up
- Built-in functionality to present users courses in an organized way
- Compatibility with multiple plug-ins and themes
- Great value for the price

Cons

- Sometimes the features are a bit restricting

Carlos T.
  • Industry: Restaurants
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

LearnDash let you build a great e-learning structure

Reviewed on 30/12/2020

The Learndash team is on it. Once you create a ticket for any question or concern, they will response quick fast, efficient and direct you to the right path with clear instructions. GREAT SUPPORT TEAM!!!!

Pros

It offers deep functionality that lets us build and customized courses for the management team. Very well structured and run smooth.

Cons

Nothing about the functionality of the software , but the integration of third- party plugins to some important functionalities that should have like a robust reporting, a student (user) portal page and a gamification structure.

Andrea K.

A great tool!

Reviewed on 28/1/2021

I work as a coach and thanks to Learndash I'm a creating my online academy to sell my courses and start to gain a positive passive income.

Pros

I really love learndash and I'm sharing it with my clients. It's easy to use, gorgeous to look and with tons of possibility to create what you have in mind!

Cons

I had trouble understanding how to connect groups and courses.

Breda M.

Very good LMS software

Reviewed on 11/8/2020

Corporate elearning, seems good for online courses, easy to integrate video, quizzes etc.

Pros

The Learndash is user friendly once you get to grips with the structure of courses, lessons and topics. If you are familiar with wordpress you'll find adding content easy.

Cons

There is a learning curve when you start out, I would like if there was a membership built in rather than having to get a separate plugin.

Don C.

I chose LearnDash for flexibility

Reviewed on 4/6/2020

I've been very pleased with LearnDash. It's well-designed, well-documented, and well-supported. It scales well and I look forward to continuing to work with it well into the future.

Pros

I had been using a hosted LMS, but grew frustrated with the artificial limitations imposed on me by its design. I made the decision to switch to LearnDash for the flexibility, so that I would be able to manage and present my courses in whatever way I deemed appropriate for my customers, and so that I would have full control of my content. (The hosted LMS would not let me keep my own backups!) I also wanted to have full control of the user experience.

Cons

There really aren't any cons, as long as you understand this is a large application with many options. The learning curve is substantial, but absolutely worth the time and effort required to master it.

Rod M.

Top Gun eLearning Software

Reviewed on 23/7/2020

I've had a wonderful experience with this software. It does everything I want it to do. And given the new ability to use "groups" as "memberships," I'm even more impressed.

Pros

I am a big fan of LearnDash for a number of reasons, one of which is its ease of use. You don't need much skill to set up LearnDash given the very detailed tutorials on YouTube.

Cons

Compared to other eLearning softwares, there's nothing I like least in the sense that I give this much thought.

Rick P.
  • Industry: Design

Highly recommended LMS plugin for WordPress

Reviewed on 12/3/2019

I discovered how easy it was to create online courses. LearnDash has allowed me to expand my client base.

Pros

I'm a WordPress implementer. A couple years ago I was approached by a client who wanted to develop an online course for non-native English speakers to study for their certifications. I'd never developed online courses before so I had to do A LOT of research.

For that project, I decided on LifterLMS and I still do most of my online course development with Lifter. I'll go into why in that review, obviously.

But LearnDash has certainly come very close to feature parity with Lifter. There are only a few differences in terms of functionality. Lifter's add-on system can be confusing to explain to a client whereas LearnDash is easy to sell. There are some specialized features for teams that are only available on Lifter, however.

The smart course creation tool is very very good. If you're worried about how to build a complex course with video and text, don't be. LearnDash makes it easy.

But LearnDash IS multisite compatible and Astra Pro, a popular WP theme, provides built-in support.

Another bonus is that LearnDash has a free version to get your feet wet, available on the repo.

Cons

There's no support for multiple teachers per course. Lifter's frontend student dashboards are nicer.

Karen H.

Easy to Use but Ugly User Interface

Reviewed on 18/10/2018

Lately I have been thinking that because I don't use the quizzes, etc. I could have skipped the whole LMS thing and just created pages or posts that link to the next. Luckily LearnDash is not too expensive so now that it is looking nice (thanks to custom coding), I will probably just stick with it.

Pros

Working with LearnDash is very easy. It works very similar to the other functions in Wordpress. You create a course, add Lessons and then Topics for each lesson.

For example, the course could be about How to Be a Real Estate Investor. In that course, you might have multiple lessons like How to Flip Houses, How to But Rental Property, How to Finance Real Estate, etc.

The you add the detailed Topics. For example, How to Flip Houses might have things like How to Find Greta Houses to Flip. How to Fund Your Flip House Projects, How to Manage the Rehab. You get the idea...

It's literally copy and paste for text and you add graphics the same way you would to any page or post in Wordpress.

Also, you can have quizzes, delay the release of certain content, offer certificates and points for completion, sell your courses, interact with users based on actions they take, set timers for each lesson, set prerequisites for courses, and offer grading and badges. You can also offer the courses in bundles and even create a marketplace similar to Udemy where people can buy your courses.

It integrates natively with many membership softwares including Memberium and also with many email providers and CRMS including Infusionsoft. It;s responsive and even works with SCORMs.

Cons

Here's what I don't like. It's ugly. The user interface is plain and not very intuitive. You have to buy other add on's so users can do things like take notes, and so that you can begin to have an interface that looks better than native Wordpresss. In other words... ugly.

With all the work they put into this software, it is so crazy that they did not spend time on the user experience. It's hard to tell if you're in a Lesson or Topic. It's hard to navigate around the course form Lesson to Less or Topic or Topic to Topic and don't even think about jumping around. The only way to solve these issues is to use precious sidebar real estate for this navigation instead of being able to showcase other offerings. That or your sidebar gets really long.

The interface showing which items have been completed and which have not is also ugly. And while you can buy add ons, those are "meh" at best. I finally broke down and hired a developer to tweak the code and make me a nice interface with great navigation, awesome graphics and stats for users in each Lessona nd Topic and so on.

Response from LearnDash

Hi Karen, thank you for your review! Regarding the visual components in LearnDash, these are soon to be updated in LearnDash 3.0 - we think you will really like them!

We switched to Learndash, and as a developer, I LOVE IT.

Reviewed on 20/3/2019

The two best WordPress LMS plugins are LearnDash and LifterLMS. It was a hard choice between the two. But we chose Learndash because of their easy-to-use API.

The major thing missing from LearnDash is that it still does require a developer (or a experienced Wordpress user) to set up. There's no easy way to plug-and-play. I wouldn't be able to hand this off to a Wordpress novice.

Pros

LearnDash has plenty of APIs to do all sorts of fancy things. For other LMSes, I had to write a lot of custom code to do what LearnDash does right out of the box.

I also love how flexible LearnDash is. There's a lot of plugins that work alongside LearnDash.

Cons

There is a learning curve to setting it up. There's a lot of options.

I also wish that Learndash does user management in a much more streamline way. Right now, you have to modify every user individually, or build a script to manage users.

I also couldn't figure out how to use their ProPanel software.

Nick S.
  • Industry: Machinery

Very good option for basic LMS functionality

Reviewed on 2/8/2019

Pros

If you have experience in WordPress, this platform is an incredible bargain and toolset. Most decent LMS options are developed for large organizations, and are priced accordingly (and by seat). For smaller companies or for situations where you don't want to pay per user (Customer facing training, etc.), LearnDash is a good option. It's pretty easy to setup and configure, and there are a bunch of add-ons and extensions that make it pretty powerful.

Cons

The only minor issues I have is customization. The simplicity of setup by using WordPress also means that you have a harder time customizing things to exactly what you want. Though, to me (and most of our users/customers) the default setup is typically pretty good anyway.

Brian M.

LearnDash is the shit!!

Reviewed on 7/2/2020

Pros

LearnDash is not only easy to use from an end user perspective but as a developer it’s easy to extend and integrate with other software solutions. We’ve integrated LearnDash with AppPresser so our users can easily set up iOS and Android mobile apps powered by LearnDash features, capabilities, and content. In other words you can easily create a members based LMS mobile app via plug and play. 😎

Cons

The only con is that we didn’t start integrating with LearnDash sooner.

Anissa C.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Good course creation plugin for WordPress

Reviewed on 1/2/2019

I've used LearnDash a few times for clients who wanted to house courses on their own websites. My own pitfall with LearnDash is that it isn't very user friendly. Also, we still need to add a membership plugin to create memberships if we wanted to set up recurring payments and protect content that wasn't involved with the course. However, LearnDash is customizable enough that we could stay on brand without risk of confusing users.

Pros

It allowed me to create courses for my clients right on their websites without needing to use a 3rd party. So everything is housed and branded for them specifically.

Cons

It isn't user friendly if you're not tech savvy. There's a lot of room for growth on the design front.

Response from LearnDash

Thanks for your review Anissa!

At the time of this review we are currently finishing up LD3. This will greatly improve the templates/design for the front-end, and also make things easier on the back-end for those not as familiar with WordPress. We think you'll really like these improvements! :)

Anissa C.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Best WordPress Plugin for Courses!

Reviewed on 10/9/2019

I have been using LearnDash for almost 2 years. It is a great plugin for courses and the most recent update has made it even better.

Pros

I love the newest 3.0 update! It gives the interface a much better design and aesthetic. This makes it easier to navigate and it helps make LearnDash more user friendly.

Cons

It would be awesome if LearnDash came with a template for a user dashboard that we can just input to a page and direct people to.

Kerry K.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

LearnDash is Great for Educators and Online Courses

Reviewed on 9/9/2020

Solid support and great technology

Pros

LearnDash has all the features needed to create online courses in Wordpress. I was able to install it, set it up and then delete my Thinkific accounts, saving me at least $1,800 per year!

Cons

It does take a while to learn how to use, but that is the case with most any software that is powerful.

Marc G.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great LMS with great support

Reviewed on 11/3/2020

Great experience, I do not regret choosing this LMS plugin and I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros

- Excellent functionality
- Great support
- Constant development and actualisations

Cons

It could be more "math-friendly": for example, in "Fill in the blank" questions Latex doesn't work. Or when entering a decimal number in a "Fill in the blank" response, it should allow a bit of error because the result can slightly vary depending on the decimals you take.

Ross J.
  • Industry: Design

We recommend LearnDash to all of our clients

Reviewed on 19/11/2018

We have lots of clients that are moving into the eLearning space. They typically have a wide range of needs that fall well outside of a "off the shelf" LMS. That's what's so great about LearnDash - our clients that need a simple solution and want to own their data, content, etc... can simply install and go. Our clients that need custom workflows, solutions and design we can layer functionality on top of LearnDash.

Pros

Structure in a way that it works well for any scale. We've used it on small, one course projects and projects with dozens of courses with unique workflows and needs. It's a great fit in all situations.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind, we've always found a way to make things work.

Namrata G.

Great Plugin for Private Tutors and Small to Medium Scale Businesses

Reviewed on 24/3/2017

We've been working with LearnDash for a while now, and our clients have had great experience with the plugin. The features and extensions available, make it an ideal plugin to get your online training website started.

The highlights would have to be the possibility to drip feed content, e-commerce support (through add-ons), TinCan API compliance, and the excellent customer support.

LearnDash however lacks advanced quizzing and reporting capabilities that might be expected by enterprise-level businesses. But the plugin feature road-map looks promising.

Pros

Support to Drip-feed Content, Ease of Use, TinCan API Compliance, Membership & eCommerce plugin integration, Customer Support

Cons

Quizzing Module, Documentation needs improvement

Anchit H.

I freaking LOVE LearnDash and this awesome support team!

Reviewed on 22/5/2019

I've been pretty hesitant before buying any LMS plugin. There have been an overwhelming number of options and it's been puzzling. After some clarifications with the LearnDash support team, I decided to go for this product.

Overall, I freaking LOVE LearnDash and this awesome support team! I feel that it's actually this particular support team that makes this product so awesome. They're amazing and I feel that they go out of their way to solve my problems.

Pros

Lots of features.
Competitive pricing.
Many features are provided out of the box (as opposed to other sites that make you buy addons for basic features).
Last but the strongest one - the support team! You can count on them if it's _anything_ related to LearnDash. I even learnt about a staging feature present in webhosts, that I didn't know about.

Cons

A few more themes would have been helpful, although the default theme is pretty decent.

Francis M.

Excellent LMS plugin

Reviewed on 6/4/2020

Excellent.

Pros

It just does everything I want and I need. Awesome customer service. It makes a perfect training tool for onboarding new employees and for continuous education of the whole staff.

Cons

It takes some time to be comfortable with the way it is organized but the documentation is excellent. There also are a bunch of addons that give a lot of additional features.

Fabienne W.

LearnDash is super flexible and support is great

Reviewed on 21/1/2020

Could not fault it

Pros

The flexibility of integration with WordPress, with WooCommerce and WPFusion
The quality of the support receive

Cons

Nothing, everything is working like I need it to.

Mridu P.
  • Industry: Publishing

Great product and value!

Reviewed on 16/12/2020

overall great experience. have really enjoyed using it

Pros

Easy to use, simplified look, great customer service, awesome value.

Cons

make it a little easier to add quizzes and certifcates.

Jessica W.

Still awesome - worth a try!

Reviewed on 6/11/2020

Very positive

Pros

The set-up makes creating a nice looking course super easy.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a bit clunky to use but really I wouldn't change much!

Kyle M.

For everyone, by the experts

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

I've been writing custom extensions for LearnDash for several years now and have absolutely loved the experience. The LearnDash team is helpful and knowledgeable. The LearnDash community on Facebook is warm and active. The code is easy to extend and customize.

Pros

No one, and I mean no one, knows more about e-learning than the people behind LearnDash. They focus everything they have on solving real problems for real e-learning site owners. If I have questions, not just about the product, but about e-learning in general, they are always my first resource.

Cons

Almost all of my critiques of LearnDash have been small usability and code based issues which are actively being resolved in the upcoming 3.0 release.

Brilla B.

Highly recommend it!

Reviewed on 5/11/2020

Customer service is super friendly and responsive!

Pros

I don't have any IT background and I have been able to build my e-learning site from scratch.

Cons

I have no observations or caveats at this point.

Jorge D.

Good for small to medium size businesses

Reviewed on 13/7/2017

Pros

I've been using this WP plugin for more than a year now. Used it as an alternative for Moodle. Overall as a LMS, its course and quiz builder are very easy to use. It has the basic functionalities you'll need to set-up your online courses.

Cons

The plugin and 3rd party modules are limited. Would be nice if they will have a larger library of extensions. Reports are also a bit limited to the basic ones