QuarkXPress

Graphic designing and image editing tool

4.2 /5 (67 reviews) Write a Review!

Angel G.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

QuarkXPress

Reviewed on 8/11/2018

QuarkXPress is a great product. I would recommend it to anyone working in the creative field. It can be use for print and digital design. I use the product to create advertisements, collateral, packaging, flyers, success stories, white papers, guides, spec sheets, interactive PDFs, and so on.

Pros

Easy to use. Has lots of features. Integrates well with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. Love that you can create digital and interactive files.

Cons

Some features are hard to find. Would like to see more training available.

Ale R.
  • Industry: Newspapers

We use it this product for years but we have to switch

Reviewed on 25/2/2019

Amazing we use it for years, but we have to change to more modern product can solve the current workflow of digital/print media

Pros

Quarkxpress was the standart for printing. we really love it, we use it for make books, and magazines. Is relative easy to use (not easy but kind that) and get results.

If you go for make prints books, is amazing... but if you work in print and digital media... well is gonna be a pain.

Cons

The big issue is QuarkXPress dont adapt to the "new standards", like make books for prints and digitals with all the formats (epub, kdp, and other) for all the markets.

So you have remake the book for digital, other products save that more time because offer a solution to that problem

Also the pricing is very expensive, they should try to find another model

In the last 5-10 years they lost the market because of that. I hope QuarkXPress get it because we love it

Dia din K.

Quark

Reviewed on 24/2/2020

I'm using Quark to easily output print jobs to our computer copier.

Pros

I can output my jobs easily and effectively using the step and repeat and convert to pdf options. It's also fast.

Cons

I least like that it starts up slower than usual for older versions of the software. I also am not too cool with it not having the mail merge option

Lonnie M.

Good program

Reviewed on 12/7/2018

It's a simple common-sense program that typically can be picked up by a new user quickly because it relates to many other commonly used software programs.

Pros

Quark XPress makes designing pages simple. It allows users to efficiently create the looks they want to achieve.

Cons

Some of the shortcuts are a little complicated but even those you get used to after using the program for a while.

Kathleen M.

Once avoided, now embraced

Reviewed on 20/5/2020

When I began using Quark roughly 15 years ago, I would so anything to try to avoid it. It was intimidating and frustrating and, at the time, only a mac program. I desperately tried to convert as many files as I could to Adobe InDesign because I was more comfortable on the pc platform. Now, I love Quark and would prefer to use it over anything else. Having a PC platform version really was the key in my eyes. With recent versions, Quark has become much less intimidating and more inviting to non-industry professionals.

Pros

Quark really is the best when it comes to page layout and typesetting design. The features and abilities far surpass other layout programs.

Cons

Although recent versions have been improving, Quark can be rather intimidating to learn and not the most user friendly.

Rex S.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Great Software for any kind of Publishing!

Reviewed on 12/10/2019

Good! Highly recomend for anyone publishing on a regualar basis. Software is easy to use if you have used other professional publishing software.

Pros

QuarkXPress is very easy to use if you have used Adobe InDesign or CorelDraw. The user interface has a good flow and everything can be spreadout with multiple monitors. Using it for publishing booklets was easy and the printer had no issues with the files.

Cons

Costs are a lttle steap for what I use it for. Would like more customization of the user interface. Overall no cons that would deter from considering for those that publish to the web or print on a regular basis.

Laron H.
  • Industry: Newspapers

QuarkXpress is a great tool.

Reviewed on 23/11/2017

Pros

I like the way QuarkXpress is structured. The interface is quite straight forward for a design tool. I love that a number of products can be designed using Quark, from books, the brochures, to posters and Newsletters. Quark, in my humble opinion, is probably the best tool for publication designs.

Cons

Not much cons, in my experience. However, I think for image editing, it should have more features to edit graphics.

• Industry: Mining & Metals

There's a Reason it's the Industry Standard

Reviewed on 12/9/2018

My output doubled with QuarkXPress. Easy to navigate, allowed me to be more creative without having to worry about USING the tool. I just did, and let the creativity flow.

Pros

The flexibility to do what I need, quality pixel perfect output

Cons

Very small learning curve (I came from using InDesign)

Joanne K.

Eclipsed by Adobe InDesign

Reviewed on 27/4/2018

Pros

I have to say the big bonus of Quark XPress is that it does not rely on a subscription model like Adobe InDesign.

Cons

Not every printer will support Quark XPress due to the ascendancy of Adobe's InDesign. Necessary to check in advance if your files can be used.

Nicole P.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Good software for an someone who is not a graphic designer

Reviewed on 7/3/2018

Pros

Easy design software for someone who is not necessarily a graphic designer by trade. This software is easy to teach yourself to use.

Cons

Not as advanced as some of the other software programs out there. Some of the tools are harder to maneuver around.

Tonya K.

Easy to make a brochure

Reviewed on 17/7/2019

I have used this software for decades and even though InDesign has become the desired desktop for cross platform use, Quark is fast and easy to use.

Pros

It is very user friendly. It is great to make flyers, brochures, or any desktop publishing items.

Cons

It doesn't have good features for type manipulation, such as shadows.

Stephen R.

I use quarkxpress to do most of our printed materials for our small design firm. Its really...

Reviewed on 24/4/2018

Pros

Its really gotten a lot better then its early days and really has started to be just as good for printed materials then adobes creative suite. Its price point makes it a no brainer!!!

Cons

Its only downfall is its not as diverse as adobes products. Adobes catalogs doesnt cater to print as much as quarkxpress but quark also doesnt offer a solid number. One software for a do it all creative punch.

Amanda D.
  • Industry: Design

Good, but I prefer alternatives.

Reviewed on 3/10/2019

Quark is a decent layout program, however I will say I prefer using InDesign.

Pros

The software overall was easy enough to learn. I feel like most things were pretty intuitive.

Cons

There were some limitations on the software. Certain features or tools that I would want to use that I couldn't. Or at least, I couldn't figure out how to if they were an option.

Still Hanging in there...

Reviewed on 14/6/2018

Pros

Like most designers, I have moved over to InDesign. That being said, Quark can definitely still get the job done.

Cons

I think that it has fallen behind on some of the more modern features that other desktop publishing software has really improved on.

• Industry: Graphic Design

I use QuarkxPress for all my print marketing materials.

Reviewed on 2/4/2018

Pros

I really like the software ease of use and even with updates that core elements stay the same. I find it easy to create the layout I need without all the extra tools and setting found in some other software.

Cons

I do find the software slow to load and I do have frequent crashes. I also find it does not use all the fonts and font weights that my system has, that I know work within Photoshop for example.

• Industry: Airlines/Aviation
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

QuarkXpress is Solid Publishing Software

Reviewed on 8/9/2020

really powerful. great solution for publishing marketing pieces that will be viewed on PDF, but works equally good for web based or printed.

Pros

powerful features. you can control layout of virtually anything you want to print or publish on paper/screen/web etc.

Cons

the features are so powerful they're hard to learn, the volume of features is hard to absorb. There are tutorials but where to start

Great to Use for Marketing Materials!

Reviewed on 29/7/2019

Pros

I used this software regularly at my previous job, and really enjoyed it. I was able to create beautiful advertisements for print, fairly easily. I was able to teach myself how to use it also. When it comes to design software, this is user friendly.

Cons

It is kind of outdated. These days, people tend to look for Adobe software proficiency. It is a great stepping stone to Adobe.

Lonnie M.
  • Industry: Media Production

Quark makes page design simple

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

I've used Quark for 20 years, and although the version we have is pretty outdated, it still gets the job done with relative ease.

Pros

There are a variety of tools to accomplish exactly what you need. Options allow you to modify text and photos and to set up pages of all kinds of sizes.

Cons

Some of the shortcuts codes involve three or more buttons, which can be difficult to remember, thus nullifying their purpose.

Brian G.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Good software, but doesn't have the flexibility that Illustrator offers

Reviewed on 10/3/2020

Pros

I learned this software years ago, and it was great foundational, but overall not as powerful as Illustrator

Cons

I prefer how well Illustrator works with other software.

Tracy L.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Used to be #1...now, not so much.

Reviewed on 17/3/2018

Pros

Quark is great for print design, text-heavy layouts, and what used to be referred to as desktop publishing.

Cons

They dropped the ball years by being slow to release a compatible version with Mac OSX, and have been struggling to get back in the race ever since. Meanwhile, Adobe InDesign became the industry leader, and there's no going back to Quark. It just doesn't have the smooth cross-application compatibility you get staying in the Adobe Suite.

Alexander M.

I've been using Quark over 16 years. It needs mayor improvements to be the industry standard...

Reviewed on 7/3/2018

Pros

This program it is very precise, measurements can be exact and the dialog box for PDF output selection is also very detailed. Also outputting linked files and fonts into one location is easy.

Cons

The need to purchase 3rd party plugins to get many things done. Quark should address those needs in their next version.

Samantha M.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Quark is just like Adobe InDesign with less bells and whistles, and is a little harder to use.

Reviewed on 14/3/2018

I was able to easily create text-only programs for events that my work was putting on. It was super easy for basic projects.

Pros

I used it in college, and it was a great beginner tool for learning how to do page layouts, and is relatively cost efficient.

Cons

It doesn't integrate well with other software, and it falls short on the graphical layout side. Only ended up using it for text only event programs.

Corina B.
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

User friendly desktop publishing software

Reviewed on 27/2/2020

Pros

I was able to learn how to use this software with very little training.

Cons

Nothing to say about what I like least. It works as it should.

Milena G.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Great for text formatting

Reviewed on 9/10/2019

Pros

Very good for text formatting, easy to use, especially when formatting books and larger texts.

Cons

I wish there was a way to connect the app with software that works with vectors (Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Corel Draw..)

Desktop publishing With QuarkXpress

Reviewed on 26/5/2019

I use Quarkexpress in small projects because of its user-friendly features.

Pros

Ever since it was released in 1987 QuarkXPress has dominated the Desktop Publishing.
I use Quarkexpress because when its come to page layout it is the best one out there because of its simplicity.its text tools are very user-friendly and lets you get the job done very quickly and efficiently.
Also, QuarkXPress supports more printers than any other desktop publishing software.

Cons

There is not much not to like about QuarkXpress.
Maybe PDF exports could be easier in the future