QuarkXPress

Graphic designing and image editing tool

3.7/5
4.1/5
4.1/5
3.8/5

69 Software options

Melanie E.

My Go to Print Layout Choice For Years

Reviewed on 8/9/2018

I've been using Quark for so long now that I find it hard to imagine using anything else. At a client's encouragement - and because they owned the software - I did try Scribus but for me it just did not have the same feel or great function that Quark has so after a few hours experimentation I politley delined to keep using it and went back to what I know (and achived excatly what they were looking for anyway)

Pros

Since I first used this software in college (which was more than a while ago) although it has changed and evolved in my opinion it has never stopped being the best layout creation tool there is. I've used it over the years professionally across all kinds of projects and niches and even personally to create materials for the kids' soccer teams etc. And customer service always has been truly top notch, something that is increasingly rare these days.

Cons

The newer Adobe integrations can be annoying and for my purposes not that helpful. Yes, there are days when I wish it had never happened but not to the point that I will actively go looking for something else as an alternative.

QuarkXPress is great!

Reviewed on 6/3/2019

Pros

It's intuitive and easy to use. Even a beginner should be able to easily design in this once you have been using it for an hour or two. Even better, you don't need a subscription for it! I have used Quark and Adobe InDesign and prefer Quark.

Cons

I don't have any complaints, I think it's a matter of what you were trained on: Quark vs InDesign.

Chris T.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Used for 2+ years

Used to be my page layout go-to, but has become an every-now-and-then instead

Reviewed on 16/3/2018

Until Adobe InDesign overtook the market, Quark was the king of layout software. If it weren't for InDesign within Adobe Creative Cloud, Quark would still be perfectly acceptable and user-friendly to meet layout and desktop publishing needs.

Pros

I like the fairly straight-forward interface and ease of use after you familiarize yourselves with a few tutorials and hands-on layout projects. Improvements and updates throughout the years have allowed Quark to still have a foothold in layout software, despite the Adobe InDesign market takeover. Being a subscription based service is a plus, since I don't find myself needing to use Quark as often as I used to.

Cons

The features and functionality simply haven't been able to match or overtake InDesign's capabilities. Doesn't work as seamlessly with Photoshop and Illustrator the way InDesign does.

Meshell T.
  • Industry: Publishing

Quark after using InDesign for about ten years

Reviewed on 30/10/2019

Laying out ads and pages for our newspaper is very easy in Quark.

Pros

Very easy to transition to after using InDesign for about ten years. Layout is very easy. The keyboard shortcuts are easy to learn as well.

Cons

There are times that files imported from Illustrator do some strange things when you export the Quark file to a pdf.

• Industry: Newspapers

Great product

Reviewed on 19/2/2019

Pros

QuarkXPress is a great tool to have. Our company uses it for page design and it was easy to learn and master. We also recently used it for a book design.

Cons

It will sometimes lock up and close out on its own, losing any unsaved changes. It can be very frustrating. It happens on several computers, so we're not sure if it is our server or the program causing the issue.

Lynn G.
  • Industry: Design

Quark XPress

Reviewed on 17/6/2019

I have used this software from the late 1980s - a long time. It continually improves. I would love to always work in it, but not every printer or client wants their project designed in Quark. Still, it is an amazing software for a graphic designer who loves perfect type on a page.

Pros

The detail you can create with type. You can control all aspects in a layout. I love this!!!

Cons

Not as many printer will accept a Quark Xpress document. Most require Adobe Indesign for print projects.

Abdiel P.

My first software for diagraming magazines

Reviewed on 8/6/2018

Pros

Easy to use, multiple options to export and make impressive presentations such as HTML5, very complete and elegant typography tool, compatibility with other similar programs.

Cons

I can not open INDD extension files, I must ask the sender to export the files in an IDML extension, it is a bit inconvenient but nothing impossible.

• Industry: Newspapers

Very useful app for making newspapers and magazines

Reviewed on 10/4/2021

Overall a very great experience. But the ease of use should be looked after.

Pros

This is one of the best app to make newspapers and magazines and newsletters and many things. You can edit a newspaper here and create posters as well. Students who are studying journalism, this is a great app to start. Professionals also use this app for the same purpose.

Cons

Although this is a very good app but you will face difficulties while using this app. The ease of use is really complicated. Tools are also hard to use.

Robert W.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

A robust alternative to InDesign

Reviewed on 17/7/2019

Pros

I've been around forever, so I still use Quark Xpress alongside Adobe InDesign. Quark has a lot of nice features, including some that InDesign doesn't have, such as publishing to HTML5. It's easy to use. It does not require an annual subscription but the frequent (annual) upgrades do cost.

Cons

When I first got this software the registration process was laborious and the customer support was terrible. Quark is not as powerful as InDesign but, for me, is easier to use.

Great program but kinda quirky

Reviewed on 11/6/2018

Pros

First, it does things for graphics other software does not for layering. I use this at home as a personal user. It is useful for some things , and can create nice imaging with good layout and details.

Cons

I like it but it has quirks and issues. I did have to call customer care once and it was a mixed bag at best.
However both export and compatibility are sometimes spotty with it.

Loved Quark until I got my hands on InDesign

Reviewed on 9/4/2018

Pros

I learned Graphic Design elements with Quark. It was a great way to learn the basics of design and layout.

Cons

Quark is limited in its capabilities compared to other designer programs (InDesign). Integrating Quark files with other software is often difficult to do.

Desktop publishing With QuarkXpress

Reviewed on 26/5/2019

I use Quarkexpress in small projects because of its user-friendly features.

Pros

Ever since it was released in 1987 QuarkXPress has dominated the Desktop Publishing.
I use Quarkexpress because when its come to page layout it is the best one out there because of its simplicity.its text tools are very user-friendly and lets you get the job done very quickly and efficiently.
Also, QuarkXPress supports more printers than any other desktop publishing software.

Cons

There is not much not to like about QuarkXpress.
Maybe PDF exports could be easier in the future

QuarkXPress

Reviewed on 9/5/2019

Overall QuarkXPress does what I need and does it well.

Pros

QuarkXPress is an easy to use interface with a variety of tools and options that enables the user to create well crafted designs for a wide variety of platforms. You have full control over elements of the design and can incorporate a plethora of different elements. With their conversion and simple importing you can work on a variety of filetypes and incorporate many elements into a piece.

Cons

Although the user interface is pretty intuitive and simple - it is very outdated. The design of the program doesn't hold up to the designs it can produce. This design of the program can be off putting and visually tiring/harsh. There's also the unfortunate fact that Adobe has more options and capabilities that QuarkXPress doesn't which leads me back to alternate programs.

Robin I.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

If Quark were a man, I'd marry him.

Reviewed on 31/7/2019

I have used Quark for everything from business card design to websites. I especially like using it for layout on coffee table books.

Pros

I love everything about QuarkXPress. I've been using Quark since 1990 and also taught Quark for a few years. There is an elegance to the way Quark works that is missing in other page layout software. It was set up by graphic designers for graphic designers. Even though I own Adobe Creative Suite, I prefer to use Quark for print and web projects.

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about Quark. Even if I run into a snag or problem I am able to find a solution easily with the Quark HELP feature or on their website.

Nina J.

Quark User

Reviewed on 1/8/2019

Designing calendars, flyers, newsletters and many more graphic publications is a breeze with Quark Express

Pros

User friendly!!! The software is like a desk and the many applications are similar to items on that desk. You can easily drag any item to the place you desire. Open boxes for pictures, text etc are so easy and functional. I love this software. Frequent updates which make the products even more so wonderful.

Cons

Need to upgrade my Apple computer as it is not compatible when the software is updated as frequent as it does. It becomes compatible with a new computer OS.

Jonathan H.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Some nice features, but lacking many. Rickety user experience

Reviewed on 14/1/2019

We were able to get our project done (a technical user manual). QuarkXPress had the features we needed to get the job done, but some of QuarkXPress's limitations negatively impacted the end product. As a former InDesign user, InDesign has all the features that QuarkXPress has, plus more options and control. The QuarkXPress interface is buggy and frankly feels unfinished. I am shocked that a software that began in the 80s and dominated the market at one point is so low quality. I've used freeware that felt more polished and reliable.

Pros

Nice abstraction features like paragraph and character styles so you can change a style once and QuarkXPress updates your whole document. Master pages are very useful for streamlining the creation of a large document (we used it to automatically show chapter headings on every page of a user manual). 60 days of free tech support is a nice perk.

Cons

Design flaws in software are a constant obstacle. Can't open multiple projects at once, makes transferring things to a new project a huge pain. Table of contents automation lacks customization. Scrolling on a page with 15-20 elements is slow on a modern computer. I call customer support asking for help to get Table styles to work, and they respond that Table styles just don't work on some tables and I have to live with it. User interface hides itself when window is out of focus for no reason, infuriating when trying to follow a tutorial in a web browser. Undo operations frequently crash the program. Anytime you click on one of the palettes in the side bar, the whole user interface goes into a mini-seizure and flashes light and dark. Exporting PDF has no progress bar, the software just goes "not responding" for 10-20 minutes so you have no idea how long you will have to wait. The support community is sparse and their help forum confirmation email didn't send even after requesting new ones, so I wasn't able to join and ask questions.

Antonios V.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

An amazing software that helped my team in publishing the college newspaper!

Reviewed on 26/4/2018

To build, create and prepare the college newspaper. It's the ideal software for publishing!

Pros

Massive offer of layouts, options and colour palettes to create and build a web or print magazine. I love the updated Java Script options, the typography menus for modifying and choose the right font and also the tools for publishing and saving a project for online purposes.

Cons

More Java Script layouts and themes should be available, apart from the standard ones. The modification is easy but still there is a need for an update with more modern themes.

Jose M.

Simple to use and ton of features

Reviewed on 31/1/2018

Saves a ton of time

Pros

Another reviewer Chadsey really nailed all the pros and cons of this software. It's great that it is subscription based and anytime you need help with something, their customer support is quick to help.

Cons

I think once a new update comes out, the owners of the previous version should get to upgrade for free or at the very least at a significant discount. Not knowing when the new version will come out can prevent you from buying the current version.

Joel S.

The Best!

Reviewed on 12/2/2019

We use it for everything from newsletters, magazines to brochures and creating PDF's as well, catalogs.

Pros

Love the many functions and features it has for our newsletter and magazine publishing. As well for our clients design projects.

Cons

Lots to learn with the many features it has. Must take time out for learning.

Yuliya L.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Professional software

Reviewed on 20/8/2018

Pros

The best part of the QuarkXPress is the variety of different functions that will allow user to work on either small of big scale publishing project. I used it for 4 page marketing booklets and over hundred pages product catalogues. Love it.

Cons

You have to wait before it will run, the software is huge.

I used QuarkXPress to create books & versions of ads. It is fantastic with typography &...

Reviewed on 16/1/2018

This was an easy to use layout tool. I could easily lay out newspaper pages, version multiples of ads, create books or flyers easily. It was easy & fun to use.

Pros

It was really easy to layout a design in Quark. The link system allows your files to be small & agile. And it's Packaging functionality allows you to esily

Cons

I use primarily Adobe products, so the tools are different, look different and/or are in different places, so it takes a little bit of time to get used to.

Alexis C.
  • Used for 2+ years

Great for Layouts if this is your only program

Reviewed on 9/10/2020

If you are simply doing layout, Quark is the way to go; however, if you need to incorporate images, links, etc. then stick with Adobe Creative Cloud and InDesign so you are not paying for two software formats.

Pros

Quark is absolutely fantastic for multipage spread layouts or any multipage project that requires standard margins, guides, templates etc.

Cons

If you are a fan of Adobe for your art work and work as a graphic designer it's just much simpler to use Adobe's InDesign as it ties in with all the Adobe programs.

• Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great to create magazines

Reviewed on 2/7/2019

Pros

I use this to create a literary magazine for my job. It allows me to put original artwork and create each page differently every time.

Cons

Sometimes the pictures have been not saving or says they do not save.

• Used for 1-5 months

This used to be the standard in newspapers

Reviewed on 1/8/2019

Pros

QuarkXPRess can help you create newspaper and magazine layouts and make your work easier.

Cons

It has been outshone by Adobe InDesign and is no longer the industry standard.

• Industry: Graphic Design

I use QuarkxPress for all my print marketing materials.

Reviewed on 2/4/2018

Pros

I really like the software ease of use and even with updates that core elements stay the same. I find it easy to create the layout I need without all the extra tools and setting found in some other software.

Cons

I do find the software slow to load and I do have frequent crashes. I also find it does not use all the fonts and font weights that my system has, that I know work within Photoshop for example.