abas ERP

Modular ERP software for small-to-medium enterprise

4 /5 (45 reviews) Write a Review!
3.9
3.9
Deni M.
Industry: Farming

Effective & easily customizable ERP software

Reviewed on 29/9/2017

Pros

- Using their inventory mobile app, our inventory accuracy has improved vastly
- With a coding class from abas, small customizations can be done internally

Cons

- We have large & complicated bills of materials that were difficult to manage. We did a bit of work to get them flowing through abas effectively.

Tom S.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Best flexibility and functionality for your money!

Reviewed on 9/11/2016

Trust Automation has been using abas ERP since 2011 and I have been working on building custom solutions here for 3 years. I am impressed by the ability of abas ERP to easily allow me to create new functionality and improve business processes to help our users.

The online help manuals were original translated from German, but they are continuously updating them to be more current and readable. Also, new training manuals have come out which are very easy to read and have examples to work through.

Both abas USA and their parent company abas AG are doing a great job at innovating and bringing new functionality and expansions to the product. The RESTful web services that are now available allows so much flexibility to display the data and have the ability to create interactive web-apps for dashboards.

Pros

Ease of extending new functionality to the database.

Great ERP software package overall

Reviewed on 8/9/2017

Pros

-Easy of use
-Ability to customize to improve functionality
-Integration with other software packages
-Runs on Linux Server

Cons

-Error messages in German language still appear at times.
-Learning curve for users
-English documentation/help is not always clear

Rhonda V.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Very userfriendly software and easy to navigate

Reviewed on 8/9/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Unlike some larger ERP companies that when need assistance you get a different person every time you call - with Abas you have a select group of people assigned to your company that you can build relationships with. They become very familiar with your company and how it works. This in turn is helpful as you grow and want to make changes within the system since they are already knowledgeable about your business.

Cons

It's both good and bad...the system can do so many different things (which is great!) but it can be overwhelming at first. When you see demos of things you like and want to have right away when you start up you find that you need to take a step back and get the basics running first.

Iliya K.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

The best Linux based ERP software in Europe!

Reviewed on 18/8/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I have personally worked with the vendor in Karlsruhe for the Bulgarian localization and I can tell they are very flexible and efficient team and they do the job. I like abas ERP as this is the only Linux based ERP that has the complete functionality developed as a regular ERP with particular focus in production, which is in itself rare for any ERP.

Cons

Although it is commercial for a Linux based product the company that chooses to use it has to developed a small team of Linux professionals (which are more expensive and rare to find in Bulgaria than Windows specialists) internally.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Iryna L.

My experience of using ABAS ERP

Reviewed on 16/4/2019
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It is very friendly, has a lot of different options and ways of actions.
Few people may have an access simultaneously.

Cons

It is still complicated to work with products received to repair. Maybe this is only our specific issue.

John K.

Reviewed on 23/5/2012
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Lisega, based in Zeven, Germany, is the worldwide market leader in the pipe support industry, primary servicing the power and petrochemical industries. We are a global organization with manufacturing facilities in Germany, France, the United Kingdom, the United States, and China.

In the early 1990s, Lisega realized that with our planned growth, we would not be able to manage the business with existing systems. Abas ERP was selected as our new standard business software, and implemented in Germany and the US in 1993, with all other sites following over the next few years. Since implementation, global sales have increased over 500%, and Abas ERP has kept pace with and supported our growth. Almost all of our 1,100 employees directly use or consume data from the Abas system on a daily basis, from the production floor to the CFO.

The greatest benefit to Abas, from our point of view, is the flexibility. Over the past two decades, we have implemented hundreds of additional features to support our business processes, have integrated Abas with our other applications (project management, APS, document archiving, PLM, CAD, and others), and have done all of it using our in house IT staff. When support is required (either development or operational) we have found the Abas staff to be knowledgeable, responsive, and supportive of our efforts. Overall, it's fair to say that Abas ERP has been a significant contributor to the success of our business, and I strongly recommend it to the SMB manufacturing community.

Dennis K.
Industry: Consumer Goods

User Experience

Reviewed on 12/1/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It is easier to use, Friendly interfaces, quick access to system modules, the system is stable and reliable

Cons

Can not support standalone , can not be integrated with other system, it is quite expensive hence many can afford

Gideon A.
Industry: Consumer Goods

Awesome features and ease of use

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 8/11/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The ability of creating your own interfaces, assigning of group of people to your company is really best and of great ability.

Cons

It is really time consuming in creating your interface for your company most especially to first time users. I got stressed up for the first time of use even though it's a software with marvelous features.

Danny D.
Industry: Mining & Metals

Fast to learn, very dynamic

Reviewed on 11/9/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It was easy to learn & link to other databases for information.

Cons

It is too easy to have too many windows open, the windows all tile individually, so you can get lost if you move around a lot. I have no complaints about the vendor, they are very involved personally with us.

Lakshmi D.
Industry: Education Management

Rating only

Reviewed on 28/7/2017

Samuel S.

ABAS ERP is awesome

Reviewed on 20/8/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It is user-friendly product. My very first experience in ERP.
So all I could say that ABAS allready gave me the good impression.

Cons

Sometimes the bug of this product resulting a crash that can afect to my work.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Dennis F.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

All these positive reviews make me wonder if we are really using the same software ...

Reviewed on 23/11/2020

I would never recommend this software to anybody! If this is considered to be a good ERP, I really do not want to see the others. So to be fair I have no comparison when it comes to ERP but many other pieces of software.

When it comes to sales there is no automated support to follow up on leads, projects, etc. There isn't the slightest piece of CRM integrated. We wanted to connect a softphone to the ERP (which shouldn't be that complicated) and asked our IT administrator to get in touch with ABAS. The answer of the guy answering the call was that he will need to ask his boss. Of course, we never heard from them again.

If it wasn't such a headache and expensive to switch to another ERP we would have done it years ago. It is definitely on our agenda.

Pros

... or ifi it is jsut our local support which is so bad.

As far as I know we didn't have any major blackouts during the last ten years which, of course, is really positive!
Colleagues who use the software since the beginning know how to use it and developed their own workarounds for most problems (or finally accepted them as a given). Because they have worked with the software for the better part of the last twenty years (of course with many updates inbetween), they do not know any other software and probably think that it is the state-of-the-art.

Cons

Okay where should I begin? As somebody wrote in another review the colors really hurt your eyes. Of course, that is only a minor issue which I can overlook if it was the only problem.

UX is a nightmare! There are endless lists, tabs and fields that are useless for 95% of the users. So when you introduce a new colleague it is absolutely overwhelming for them and you will hear yourself saying "ignore this field", "you don't need this tab", new colleagues ask what a specific field is used for and you answer that you have no idea at all, etc. ... for most of the time.
None of our new colleagues in the last ten years managed to learn how to use the software properly which I do not blame them for because it seems that if you didn't grow up with it, it is next to impossible. I think that we even had new colleagues getting so frustrated because of constant complains from the "old crew" that they never managed to integrate into the team and finally gave up / quit the job. At least, it takes all their motivation.

During the last years, we wanted to get some modifications done because we couldn't stand some of the time consuming workarounds of our colleagues anymore. We had several (expensive!) in person meetings with ABAS where they made many notes but never came back with any solutions until today.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

abas ERP provides an integrated system for tracking our input and output

Reviewed on 11/9/2017

Pros

abas ERP captures so much detailed information, allowing us to create customized reporting. The customer support personnel have been amazing to work with.

Cons

Our initial set up team was disbanded which resulted in some gaps in the implementation. The team members we have worked with since have been wonderful.

Craig T.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Abas made our business run better and enthusiastically gave me the tools to make abas even better for our unique business.

Reviewed on 28/9/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I have enthusiastically recommended abas to several other businesses. The abas-USA team is great to work with. Even at the highest level (owners and executives) they take a personal interest in their clients and have a deep understanding of their product. It would be expected that someone in my position would interact with several consultants and technicians at abas-USA but over the course of the last five years I have also come to personally know the over/President of abas-USA as well as the VP of Operatoins, the VP of Information Systems, and pretty much the entire US-based management team. I have also had the opportunity to meet several of the German executives, company officers, and programmers to discuss the system. You can't fake the enthusiasm these guys have for their customers and for their product.

Pros

It's a complete solution - you won't be asked to pick and choose between dozens (or hundreds) of modules that can be included or not during implementation. This program was also not cobbled together from disparate programs and modules purchased by some corporate entity and bundled for sale.
Abas technical support is excellent (more on that later).
Abas user support and training is also excellent - they run what they call the "abas academy" out of their Virginia offices. They have frequent multi-day training courses focused on different aspects of the software. The best are the technical training courses where they teach 'higher-level' users (like the system admins from their clients) how to program customizations for themselves. Some of our most useful processes were programmed by me in-house.
Abas is always getting better and changing with advances in technology.
The program is remarkably stable. It runs (preferably) on a linux server and uses a custom designed database (that is a big $ savings over an erp running on a windows server using an SQL database). In four years, the only time our ERP system has been down has been during power failures or when I did something to break it. When I did disrupt the system, during non-business hours, the support team had us up and running again withing an hour.
In general, support tickets are handled very promptly. Urgent or critical tickets are addressed immediately.
There is a group on LinkedIn where users communicate and help each other out. Many of the members are "IT Manager" types who use/administer/customize abas where they work.

Cons

On the technical side, getting into programming the proprietary database means a bit of a learning curve for anyone who is used to using SQL.
Mobile applications aren't fully implemented but more are constantly being developed. The mobile app server addition is a significant investment.
The system had no built-in capacity to close idle sessions (to free up licenses for the pool) so I had to program a work-around.
I have had a couple instances where a fairly green support tech got assigned to a ticket and wasn't much help.

Amy H.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

For what it offers, abas' ERP pros outweight any cons

Reviewed on 15/9/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The ability to manipulate data to create customize reports I find is extremely valuable. As a manufacturing company, I find It's ability to store all information in one erp system saves every department time from maintaining information in different databases and gives us quick access to any information we're looking for.

Cons

The learning curve is longer compared to the standard , more conventional software options and requires the user to be more skilled.

Michelle F.
Industry: Mining & Metals

ABAS Super user vs. Clerk user

Reviewed on 8/7/2014
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like the ability to drill down and the ability to cosmetically change the user module to reflect the user's preference.

Cons

It's mainly for super users and not regular data entry clerks. I feel the system is complicated and the program does not come with many standard features. Instead of standard items that you would find in an accounting module in another ERP software, they make them upgrades.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Olivia V.

Reviewed on 29/6/2011
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pankl Racing Systems, based in Austria, specializes in developing and manufacturing engine and drive-train components for racing cars, high performance vehicles and the aerospace industry. Pankl is a global organization with worldwide subsidiaries in Austria, UK, USA, Slovakia and Japan.

In Austria we've been using abas ERP since 1995, in the USA since 2002, in the UK since 2004 and in Slovakia since 2008. At the moment we are running abas ERP version 2009r4n11 at all the Pankl subsidiaries.

We decided to use abas ERP because it provides all the necessary functions for a mid-market manufacturer like Pankl and from our point of view it has a really good cost/performance ratio. Another benefit is the flexibility of abas ERP. If your company needs customizations, like additional fields in screens to enter data or personalized reports, abas can make that happen.

I was not personally involved in the abas ERP implementation process in Austria and the UK, but I never heard anything negative about these projects. The implementation process in the UK and in Slovakia took 3 to 6 months at each subsidiary. It took us a little bit longer in Slovakia compared to the UK, because we are running abas ERP in Slovakia in 4 different languages: Slovak, Czech, English and German. Both software vendors, in the UK and in Slovakia, were really helpful during the whole roll out process.
We received all the help we needed during the implementation process and I really appreciate the fast response time of abas USA when there are problems or just user requests.

In a demo system, which is actually a copy of the live database, each department receives special training in abas ERP. This approach has 2 major benefits:
1. The user has the chance to increase his knowledge of abas using familiar examples from the live system
2. The user is already in contact with the abas ERP system, but in a "save" demo environment, where he cannot damage anything in the live database.
Based on our experience such lessons are more efficient for a new user than just classroom lectures. Our users usually learn to use abas ERP really quickly after these training sessions.

As with each software solution, abas ERP has "special" features and functions, but if you are aware of them you gain a big advantage in handling the abas ERP software.

The biggest benefit is to have all the relevant data from purchasing and sales, production, materials management, production planning and control (PPC) and financial accounting combined in one system.

Barry L.

Reviewed on 17/5/2012
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

My organization is an engineer to order business that services many different industries and applications. We have a base product that can have hundreds of options that are added to it making BOM creation and credibility difficult at times. Prior to moving to Abas ERP, my organization used M2M, which was not easy to use and was not easily customized to accommodate our needs. To make customizations in M2M, we had to have a programmer right a number of external programs that would write to M2M allowing us to get what we needed from the system. Although this helped us, it also kept us from receiving support from M2M and allowing us to upgrade to newer versions.

The switch to Abas ERP was a very good transition… much easier than I anticipated. I believe a lot of this has to do with the amount of time we took to test and ensure all our information was entered into the system properly. We spent nearly a year preparing the system to go live and with the help of the extremely knowledgeable and helpful consultants. I can say that we have a great deal of confidence in the information in our system, which is something we never had with our previous system. In addition, we spent 4 months of training the users twice a week prior to going live and when we went live, our users knew what they were going to see and were very prepared for the transition.

We have been on the system for 7 weeks now and I can honestly say that we have had VERY few problems and when problems have come up, Abas has been quick to address them and help us through them. The only area that I think the system lacks is in the area of subcontracted parts. The system does limit you to what you can do with these parts, making switching parts to and from subcontracting an extremely daunting task. All-in-all, I could not have asked for a better experience with an ERP system and organization and this is my third ERP system implementation in 12 years.

ABAS is an ERP system made complete by its functioning software and knowledgeable personnel.

Reviewed on 11/9/2017

Pros

ABAS is completely customizable and you can get out of it whatever you put into it. Implementation is never an easy task but ABAS has it down to a science. We went live in January 2016 and have not looked back since. The team of support was great. ABAS is always improving and moving forward which makes it an exciting company to be partnered with.

Cons

The support system is on a portal that I find confusing. I would rather pick up the phone and have a conversation with someone and that is what I will often do.

Rhonda V.
Industry: Plastics

New ERP System

Reviewed on 11/11/2016

We have our first plant running live now with Abas and will bring our 2nd plant online end of this year. It has been a challenging but productive year for us. As with any implementation of a new ERP system there will be hurdles along the way. Due to the nature of our business we have needed to make a bunch of customizations within Abas. The team we are working with has been very supportive and done a great job of helping us determine the best way to make these changes.

Our company is also using 2 functions of Abas that not all customers are currently using. EDI and Simcron are the systems we have utilized to bring in all our customer orders electronically and generate a production schedule. The Abas AG team in Germany has been working diligently with us to learn these 2 systems and help with any problems we have had.

We have already found so many ways to save time for our employees and simplify their day to day ERP activites with Abas; so we are looking forward to having the entire company changed over in the next couple of months.

Jonelene V.

Reviewed on 19/4/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

This Abas ERp ia very helpful for me as a begginer in ERP. Easy to use and easy to learn. Tume saver.

Cons

Don’t see any cons about Abas ERP so far for two years of using it. Can say nothing bit good experince.

Jean-baptiste B.

Extremely disappointed

Reviewed on 12/7/2017

Cons

- The basic system is delivered without any feature.
- It is necessary to ask for extremely expensive specific developments to have interesting features.
- Little intuitive because it is necessary to open a large number of windows to obtain an information.
- It is impossible to manage ourself the customizable imports. - If you do not take the option of the businesses apps, the software is not intuitive and the exploitation of the statistical data is difficult.
- This ERP is more for production and logistics ... while we also make many of commercial.

Relatively disappointed. We thought that the change of ERP would simplify us the life but it is very far from being the case. It has been more than 8 months since we migrated on this software and there are still numerous problems. The basic software is an empty shell. Very honestly, I used other ERP which were more complete and more successful as for example SAGE 100, SAP, CEGID ...

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Richard L.
Industry: Automotive

It can be a real pain in the ABAS

Reviewed on 17/8/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

This software work very well for planning and purchasing. Once you get your groove an figure everything out, it can work very smoothly(that should take 2 months)

Cons

The backend of this program is all in German, so start practicing now. Everytime you add or remove a feature, everything else goes crazy. Sometimes adding features can be extremely difficult and you will need to be well verse in coding.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Siddesh R.

Nice Supply chain software

Reviewed on 17/6/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

This is a nice software for the supply chain management as it options to track every material and also helps in billing and inventory.

Cons

More frequent updates required as industry changes almost every day. Good customer support is required.