DaVinci Resolve

Write a Review!
Video editing software for post-production processes

4.8/5
4.8/5
4.0/5
4.3/5

Cristhian Josue
Cristhian Josue
  • Industry: Design

Davinci resolve, an oscar-worthy video editor

Reviewed on 1/9/2021

Davinci resolve, meets all my needs, it's a powerful editor that doesn't require a lot of effort to learn how it works, but it can help us to create very large projects, it's good, cheap, and powerful.

A great video editing software

Pros

Davinci resolve is not expensive, compared to other alternatives, this video editor gives us the software license and updates FOR LIFE, for a single payment, maybe the initial investment isn't cheap, but it will last forever.

This video editor has been used in great movies and projects, so it will undoubtedly help us to create the best version of our final cut, this video editor also offers us the opportunity to use a downgrade version with the essentials to create good montages.

Davinci resolve is an alternative that everyone should try at least once.

Cons

This being such a powerful software can have its disadvantages, Davinci is designed for video editing professionals, so it may be too much for you, if you are looking for a simple software, which only occupies to cut and paste video sequences, there are much cheaper alternatives that will meet what you are looking for, so I invite you to look for more basic video editors before buying this one.

Vladimir Azariel
Vladimir Azariel
  • Industry: Entertainment

DaVinci Resolve, the all in one.

Reviewed on 2/2/2022

I started using DaVinci Resolve because I was starting to run out of space on my hard drive due to the storage being taken up by the software I was using and the size of the files they were creating. When I started using DaVinci Resolve I realized that I couldn't put it down again, and although I occasionally go back to using some software that I used in the past, it is true that DaVinci is superior in many aspects, and no, I am not exaggerating. It's easy to use, easy to implement and very, VERY cheap if you want to use the studio version, because yes, on top of everything, DaVinci has a very complete version that is FREE

Pros

In davinci resolve it's much easier for me to implement all the functions that I need to edit or create a video.
For example, whereas before I needed to "process" my video into montage, editing, colorization, and special effects creation using different programs, with DaVinci Resolve it's as easy as flicking from one tab to another.
Not long ago I made a 3D title in DaVinci 50% faster than I did using 3 or more programs.

Cons

To be honest, DaVinci is very close to being perfect, seriously, it even seems like such an unreal program because of the number of functions it implements.
Perhaps sometimes this software is limited since it implements functions that should be dealt with one software at a time, but with time and discipline it's possible to perfectly master the virtues and the few defects that may arise.

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

For the price compared to other software and because it had all the functions of these in a single presentation.
Kim

Good with color, bad to edit on.

Reviewed on 6/3/2023

Pros

The color functionally is great and I would recommend using this for color correction.

Cons

The editing though is abysmal, and simple things like speed ramping and key frames is overly complicated.

Mersen
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

The BEST VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE Money Can't Buy- IT'S FREE

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

Overall, I love it! It has everything a $0 film maker needs to put their creativity into fruition. It gives small filmmakers like us a tool that professionals still use and that has never happened before. Minus the major movie stars, we're almost on the same playing field now. I've edited videos on it for 3 years and I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon- if I do it will probably be to the full paid version Davinci Resolve Studio.

Pros

Firstly, it's free. It has everything anyone would ever need to make a film. From sound editing to colour correcting, all the tools it provides are professional and easy to use. Did I mention that it's free? Another great thing about the software is that it actually uses your GPU. I also particularly like its trimming tools as I find that there aren't many free video editing softwares that give you the ability to make such precise cuts on a video. This is especially useful if you're a video creator who HAS TO cut 'that scene' at just the right moment else the whole film is terrible. Yes, I'm that video creator. Visual playback isn't too shabby either- it does lag sometimes but a feature called optimized media reduces that. Lastly, the thing I probably like the most is the endless options for editing the actual video appearance. You can zoom in on it, crop it, stretch it and keyframe each change to create an animated effect.

Cons

It's system requirements. The software needs AT LEAST 16GB of DDR4 RAM to run smoothly. I currently run it on just 8GB which is fine if you don't mind lag and random software crashes. Davinci Resolve also comes with the default settings for Autosave being off. I learnt that one the hard way. It also sometimes has problems with audio output, particularly when you use more than one output device (like headphones and external speakers). Sometimes it doesn't automatically change to the system device. Another thing I noticed is that, for some odd reason, it randomly outputs mono audio from a stereo audio file but this does eventually fix itself.

Sean
  • Industry: Media Production

Best NLE you can get your hands on

Reviewed on 7/9/2022

Pros

Pay once model, no monthly overhead and free updates after that.
Far superior editing model compared to Adobe's clunk dynamic link.

Cons

Understanding some of the concepts of node based editing can be tricky at times, however once you understand that you're flying.
It can be a bit resource intensive.

Final Cut Pro

Reasons for Choosing DaVinci Resolve

Pay once model, tired of endless crashing with Adobe products.

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

If I moved to a Linux or Windows machine in the future I do not have to pay for another editing suite, with Final Cut I would be tied to a Mac.
Brendan

DaVinci Resolve converted me from the Adobe CC

Reviewed on 25/8/2022

Resolve has just sped up my workflow and has also provided tools (the colour tab) to make my content look even better. I now only user Adobe for AE, but once Fusion is fleshed out a bit more, I can see myself spending the time to learn it and make the switch.

For a more detailed breakdown of features, read that section of the review.

Pros

- It's speed and performance in comparison to the competition
- Multiple application windows in the one application. Bouncing between areas is seamless
- The colour correction and grading. Nuff said
- The pricing. Production software like this IMO is a tool and not a service. I can't stand that if you stop paying for Adobe's CC, you get locked out from using the old tools that you've spent thousands on rather than just not being able to download future updates. Resolve's buy once and own for life is perfect, especially since you can also download almost the full program to use for free anyway

Cons

I don't really have any complaints, other than sometimes I have technical issues and rendering is sometimes impossible without corrupted artefacts. I'm running a fairly old graphics card (980ti), and it can be really frustrating when certain updates and fixes are relegated only to the new card architecture.

Anil

Creative Alliance Review

Reviewed on 6/7/2023

We have been using Resolve since past 2 years and we find this is the ultimate software for video editing and post processing. Motion tracking is one of the key features that we like in this software.

Pros

We here at Creative Alliance use Davinci Resolve daily to edit our videos. We produce daily videos in our multiple YouTube Channels like REACTION RETREAT and occasionally in our another channel CREATIVE ALLIANCE MUSIC. Editing videos have never been this fun and wide variety of features make this software a must have!

Cons

A small integration of post production capabilities like that of After Effects would make this software complete.

Klavs
  • Industry: Media Production

The best free and the best paid

Reviewed on 15/10/2022

I'm really fond of Davinci Resolve, it contains everything I need and I love the workflow of the program.

Pros

The fact that it's free to use and you get a free studio license if you buy a camera, is just amazing. But the main reason for using this product is that they update it quite often and I my system doesn't get breakdowns.

Cons

The audio editing in Resolve is not as great as it could be. BUT for me the video editing is the most important. Non-movable windows within the program.

Reasons for Choosing DaVinci Resolve

cheaper, easier workflow, ATEM switcher project workflow (makes my day)

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

It's generally easier to work in Resolve with the Blackmagic ATEM recordings.
Arvid
  • Industry: Music

Very heppay with this amazing video-editing software

Reviewed on 19/8/2021

Very good. I very much enjoy working with this software. Once familiar with the software (at least the parts that I use), it's proven to be the optimal video-editing software for me. Also, I very much like the sound-editing functionalities with the standard embedded effects in it. Now, I can do video and audio in one single program which makes it a lot easier to build a project.

Pros

All I need for editing my video's is in Davinci Resolve. I can edit op to the frame, which is exactly what I need. Also, all settings (that I use either way) are editable with numbers. That makes it easy to copy settings and values. Those were the main reasons for me to use Davinci Resolve over other products like Camtasia.

Cons

The learning curve can be a thing. I definitely needed some time to get familiar with the software. But it was worth it. Also, I needed a pretty decent computer for smooth editing of my video's. So , that might be somewhat costly for business starters.

Adobe Premiere Pro and Camtasia

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

I favoured Davinci Resolve for it's usage-capabilities and it's price, which is almost unbelievable in respect of all the value and functionalities in the product.
Guillermo
Guillermo

The simplest yet most powerful professional video edition software

Reviewed on 29/9/2022

I came across DaVinci Resolve in early 2020, during the pandemic. As an amateur musician and video editor I was able to produce very decent videos in less than a couple of days using phone video takes. The vast offer of tutorials and effects make it very easy to create nice results with minimum effort. Still use it. I don't regret have made the switch from Adobe to Davinci.

Pros

All in one. Easy to use, Intuitive, professional tools and effects, vast library of tutorial material on the web
Up and running in hours.

Cons

It is very difficult to me to find something that I dislike so far.

Alejandro
  • Industry: Events Services

Impresive postproduction suite for free

Reviewed on 11/1/2023

The price you must pay to use DaVinci Resolve is the time you need to invest learning every single aspect of each "page", as they call each tool in the software: Cut (login and pre-edition), Edit, Fusion (VFX), Color and Fairlight (audio). If you came from another NLE software, you will find that the interface looks pretty familiar, and the use of the tools is very intuitive.

Pros

I'ts mind-blowing that you can get such powerful suite of tools for post-production for free. With DaVinci Resolve you get NLE, Color Correction, VFX tools and audio post in a single app, which is stable and runs smooth in most of the medium range laptops out there.

Cons

Some advanced features requires paying the license, which, in my opinion, isn't too expensive.

Final Cut Pro

Reasons for Choosing DaVinci Resolve

I made the switch from Premiere because the Adobe Suite is too expensive, and DaVinci Resolve is free. It's a no-brainer decision.

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

Again, because of the cost of Final Cut.
Eero
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

It is hard to believe this is free - but it is

Reviewed on 22/2/2022

It is a well-working software and I haven't found anything I need and it doesn't have. On the other hand, it has a lot of functionalities that I have never even tried, so I am sure it offers a lot for more professional users.

Pros

DaVinci resolve offers most if not all of the tools you want to create great-looking videos. I had an old version of Adobe Premiere and this beats it, although I really liked Premiere and had a long history with it. The biggest reason for thumbs up is the price. Difficult to compete with a free product that works well.

Cons

I found it a bit difficult to use in the beginning because I had used Premiere for a long time. Video editing software has typically a lot of bells and whistles and DaVinci Resolve is not an exception. Takes a while to get used to if you are moving from another software.

Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro

Reasons for Choosing DaVinci Resolve

I needed to upgrade my older version of Premiere Pro, but I didn't like Adobe's new annual pricing model. I rather buy once, own it, and upgrade when I really need to.

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

I tried Final Cut Pro some years earlier, and it was horrible to use. I would choose any other software any day. Premiere is good, but pricey.
Julie
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Davinci Resolve is the best complete video software I have used, and its free!

Reviewed on 18/10/2020

100% would recommend to anyone looking for a professional video editing software that they do not have to pay for.

Pros

For someone who was new to video editing at the beginning of this year, I have to say it took many hours watching YouTube tutorials to fully understand Davinci Resolves features. It is a professional video editing software for FREE! I was fortunate to have started with Davinci Resolve, and since then have tried many other paid programs which I have since stopped using. From the media stage, cut stage, edit, color correct, and sound stages, it is very clear where you need to start and end to make an amazing video. I found that when using a green screen, this program was much more accurate than other paid ones in doing the color corrections.

Cons

Since I have a Dell Laptop, running Davinci Resolve definitely slowed things down. As it is an intense program, it requires the machine that goes along with that to keep your work flow moving along. I found that my laptop wasn't up to spec, but my husbands desktop was. Ideally, you would want more than 8 gb to run it smoothly.

Mohamed
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

An Affordable Video Editing Software with Professional Features

Reviewed on 18/4/2023

A free software with mind blowing features that help any one edit, trim, resize and then export high quality videos in multiple formats. It does need nothing like training or courses except for previous knowledge on how to add photos, audios, animations; you feel like a movie maker!

Pros

Davinci Resolve offers a stunning dashboard that help both beginners and professional edit their videos at ease. Its rich audio library, baffling scenes and animations made it a stand alone free software.

Cons

Of course, its built-in features and variety of functionalties, which are free, made it hard to load sometimes. It needs at least 64 bits and enough memory. Something else, few integrations or third party plugins.

Paul
  • Industry: Media Production

Buy the Studio version - so worth the pennies!

Reviewed on 1/12/2022

Best video editing software ever.

Best video editing software ever.

Pros

Totally comprehensive, one stop platform with tons and tons of supporting tutorials available.

Cons

The backup process, once set, is great but very difficult to work out when and where the backup fits in your past workflow.

Géovanny
Géovanny
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Davinci Resolve the complete and efficient video editing software

Reviewed on 15/2/2023

Pros

I find Davinci Resolve to be a very comprehensive and free software for video post-production. It offers an intuitive user interface and ease of use that allows for editing, color grading, special effects and audio post-production tasks. The color grading tools are particularly advanced and accurate, allowing for fine-tuning of colors. In addition, the software can process videos in 4K resolution and higher, with fast performance thanks to the use of the GPU for effects processing. Finally, it is available for Windows, Mac and Linux, making it accessible to a wide audience.

Cons

I found that Davinci Resolve has some drawbacks. For example, the learning curve is quite steep for beginners due to the complexity of its features. Also, it may require powerful computer hardware to work effectively, especially when handling large files or very high resolutions. Finally, some advanced features are only available in the paid version of the software, which can be expensive for some users.

• Industry: Machinery

New Kid on the block

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

The best feature about Davinci Resolve is its capabilities for collaboration in teams and also each team member have separate timelines.

Pros

Davinci Resolve might be a new kid on the block but it comes packed with a lot of tools all in one. Davinci Resolve comes packed with the best video editing module which is so easy to use but yet so powerful enough to compete with other editing suits like Adobe, Final Cut Pro. What even make it unique is the fact that it can also comes with sound, special effects and 3d editing capabilities. When comes to having the best suit in the industry it will then amount to the price and Davinci Resolve takes top award as it is very powerful and yet very cheap.

Cons

As they say, dynamites comes in small packages but Davinci Resolve when comes to resources it needs a very powerful system and best works with GPU processors which happens to be very expensive to buy. As much the suit it self its cheap to buy, but the others tools like control panels are also very expensive to buy.

Davinci Resolve - the editing king

Reviewed on 26/1/2021

Beautifully engineered, powerful, convenient, affordable, and most importantly intuitive.

Pros

The level of professionalism, the massive quantity of features, the industry leading algorithms and color manipulations, and the constant updates make for an editing platform that beats out all others.

Cons

There are components of the editing workflow such as the special effects tabs that aren't as intuitive as after effects and other vfx applications.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Choosing DaVinci Resolve

Better color grading options and more stable platform.
Abhilash
Abhilash
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Da Vinci Resolve!! The Best Colour Grading Software Out there!!

Reviewed on 2/5/2023

Video editing application that facilitates production with tools for color correction, visual effects, motion graphics, and post-production audio.Resolve is tremendous, and is fortunately separated into different 'Pages'. There's one to actually look at your 'Media', one more to plan and 'Cut' your recording, one more to 'Alter', despite the fact that you can likewise do altering in 'Cut'. 'Combination' allows you to collect and apply impacts to cuts through a hub based interface (it's more befuddling and less direct than how different editors work with enhancements, but on the other hand it's hugely strong). 'Variety', is where your variety evaluating happens, 'Fairlight' is for escalated sound work and control, and 'Convey' focusses on sending out your completed item.Regardless of not being a significant jump in rendition numbers, this cycle of Resolve actually packs a decent lot of upgrades, from the unobtrusive connection point change, to the huge in the engine execution improvements.

Pros

Best in the colour Grading softwaresUser Freindly UIThe software is pretty smooth and responsive in terms of rendering the FootageBasic System Requiremennts are enough to run the software SmoothlyAll the tools required to edit a video is built in the software itself which makes it easier for the user to complete the project in one software itself

Cons

Noise Reduction is only available in paid versionWhile it has all the features ...all of them are not well integrattedpaid version costs a bit higher

Simon
Simon
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Do not waste your time with others. Level up to the industry standard for unparalleled...

Reviewed on 2/5/2021

Pros

The best thing about Resolve is it's cross-platform compatibility. Whether you're working with collaborators running Windows, Mac or Linux, you can easily sent your project across for multiple people to work on without need to transcode or convert the project files to a different format. On the other hand, you also have the ability to scale since the fully-functioned (almost) NLE is available for free, provided you have the hardware to run it. This eases the burden for first time editors who already have to deal with huge start up costs.

Cons

The lack of marketing for the software is probably the only thing missing. It is a great piece of software that not a lot of new editors are in the know of. But then again, it is an industry standard would be adopted by even small creators eventually.

Moises
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Davinci Resolve Is Worth It

Reviewed on 21/4/2023

Pros

Its advanced color correction tools, powerful audio editing capabilities, and its ability to handle all aspects of post-production from editing to final delivery. Additionally, its pricing is considered more affordable than some other professional editing software options available in the market.

Cons

Steep learning curve: DaVinci Resolve has a lot of features and can take some time to learn, especially for beginners.System requirements: DaVinci Resolve can be resource-intensive and requires a high-end computer to run smoothly.

Eleazar
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

The all in one video editor

Reviewed on 13/1/2023

Have been making promotional and educational videos with it.

Have been making promotional and educational videos with it.

Pros

It has everything that you need to make a proper video. From editing the video, changing the color, edit the audio and animations. It's an all-in-one package. You can start for free using most of the features and then move to the paid version once you have a good taste of it. Thankfully so far NO SUBSCRIPTION. Just pay once.

Cons

Fusion has a high learning curve to it. have to spend a lot of time on tutorials to get to know fusion and make proper use of it.

Matthew
Matthew

Break free of Premiere Pro

Reviewed on 10/1/2021

I've been using the software for several years, and I'm impressed by the support and development of the software package. After using Premiere Pro for a decade, I'm enjoying editing editing.

Pros

Incredible speed and coloring. If you're a linear editing veteran, you'll adjust to the software fairly quickly. Also, being able to work through cutting, coloring, graphics, and sound design is within the program.

Cons

Old habits are hard to break. As I said, you'll adjust quickly to the software, but there are some functions (such as Fusion) that are difficult to pick up if you've been using Adobe After Effects for many years.

Nwodo
Nwodo
  • Industry: Entertainment

Davinci resolve the best video editing software so far

Reviewed on 14/1/2023

I love davinci resolve it's worth a try for all content creators who wants a clean cinematic video edit. It's just an all-in-one app. Using templates makes it a lot easier and there are bunch of free templates on the web.

Pros

I love the color grading feature it's the best i have seen so far. It makes my video look cinematic and have this professional look, the features are cool and easy to use if you have knowledge of video editing. Great for editing bad footage and audios. You can download free templates from the web and use to fasten your work.

Cons

It crashes sometimes but i think it's because of the compatibly with my laptop. Davinci should consider creating versions for lower systems.

• Industry: Events Services

Incredibly powerful all-in-one editing suite.

Reviewed on 27/7/2021

It has allowed me to output content much faster especially when comparing the color grading to Adobe Premier.

Pros

It works on both PC/Mac. It has a simple workflow-driven framework that is easy to follow. Blackmagic has managed to provide a swathe of free training to support your efforts and it just does what it's meant to.

Cons

It requires a pretty powerful machine if you are trying to do anything but cut and edit. Also you need to have a decent size screen to fit everything in front of you.

Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro